New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default So there's a new season of She-Ra...

The new season of She-Ra just hit netflix last Friday. Still haven't checked it out, but will most likely binge watch it within 24 hours. Apparently the new season is only 7 episodes long. Which I'm okay with. The last season was a mixed bag. There was stuff I really liked and stuff I really hated. I almost raged quit towards the end. If this season isn't better I think I'm done with the series.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: So there's a new season of She-Ra...

I just watched the whole thing. beware of spoilers!

Spoiler: She-Ra, Season 2
    Show

Alliance Side:
    She-Ra is starting to figure out how to shapeshift her weapon, as well as fix old tech to make things work again. cool. the Princesses in general are learning to work more cohesively and Bow seems to be coming into his own as a techie of the group, with an episode with his gay dads about he lied to them about himself and getting acceptance about who he really is. that was nice.

Horde Side:
    Hordak favoring Entrapta over Catra because she is good at tech, who knew you could rise so far in an evil organization by not caring about the morality of your actions and just doing your job well? nice development. the growing unrequited love Scorpia has towards Catra is about as subtle as a hammer in the face and its cool. but Catra....

Catra. Catra. Catra. You trusted Shadowweaver. Ya shouldn't'a done that.

Never trust Shadoweaver. Not even for a moment. we got her tragic backstory and I think it only reinforces that lesson!

and now your being choked by Hordak, it'll be interesting to see how they write around Catra potentially dying from that, and what her position will be in the Horde after, Hordak just sees everyone as tools for him, so he'll probably have to promote somebody else to the position, Shadow-Weaver is still not good with him, so....its probably going to be Scorpia. Scorpia is a person of loyalty and following orders, so Hordak would probably value that over Catra's and Shadow-Weavers untrustworthy natures, and he doesn't care about Adora. it'd be interesting to see a role-reversal in command between Scorpia and Catra.

Science Side:
    okay, so, this planet is a backwater, there are portals to other planets, and Hordak wants to portal in a big army from other Horde planets to just out-power everyone? Yeah seems like a logical plan. I wonder what will be Entraptas breaking point, what moment she will be tossed aside like all the rest.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that last episode didn't really feel like a season finale to me. Is there a part two coming? Did they split up the season? Netflix is prone to doing such things sometimes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Yeah, that last episode didn't really feel like a season finale to me. Is there a part two coming? Did they split up the season? Netflix is prone to doing such things sometimes.
    Yeah I think I heard something about them changing up the method, like the episodes are longer but how many there are is shorter, and its supposed to help them to do it faster so that we get episodes out a comparatively faster pace than we would normally while still keeping the quality, and I for one didn't notice any difference in quality. it takes half as many months or something.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I just watched the whole thing. beware of spoilers!

Show

Alliance Side:
    She-Ra is starting to figure out how to shapeshift her weapon, as well as fix old tech to make things work again. cool. the Princesses in general are learning to work more cohesively and Bow seems to be coming into his own as a techie of the group, with an episode with his gay dads about he lied to them about himself and getting acceptance about who he really is. that was nice.

Horde Side:
    Hordak favoring Entrapta over Catra because she is good at tech, who knew you could rise so far in an evil organization by not caring about the morality of your actions and just doing your job well? nice development. the growing unrequited love Scorpia has towards Catra is about as subtle as a hammer in the face and its cool. but Catra....

Catra. Catra. Catra. You trusted Shadowweaver. Ya shouldn't'a done that.

Never trust Shadoweaver. Not even for a moment. we got her tragic backstory and I think it only reinforces that lesson!

and now your being choked by Hordak, it'll be interesting to see how they write around Catra potentially dying from that, and what her position will be in the Horde after, Hordak just sees everyone as tools for him, so he'll probably have to promote somebody else to the position, Shadow-Weaver is still not good with him, so....its probably going to be Scorpia. Scorpia is a person of loyalty and following orders, so Hordak would probably value that over Catra's and Shadow-Weavers untrustworthy natures, and he doesn't care about Adora. it'd be interesting to see a role-reversal in command between Scorpia and Catra.

Science Side:
    okay, so, this planet is a backwater, there are portals to other planets, and Hordak wants to portal in a big army from other Horde planets to just out-power everyone? Yeah seems like a logical plan. I wonder what will be Entraptas breaking point, what moment she will be tossed aside like all the rest.
    Aww yeah, season 2!
    Spoiler: Obviously spoilery.
    Show
    I agree that Catra shouldn't have trusted Shadoweaver, though I can somewhat understand why she did so. Catra's abused upbringing leaves her starving for Weaver's approval/affection. Catra is jealous that Adora got it better than she did and it's killing her. Well, mentally. Hordak seems to be doing the physical killing part. By asphyxiation. Yikes! O_O

Science side thought--rather than portal in big armies, what if Hordak is trying to undo Mara's pocket dimension trap around the planet? If he could pull the planet back through a portal, that nets him his armies from other worlds PLUS a weapon he could use to trap worlds that oppose him.

I read here that they're trying out a shorter season format, so that there's less wait-time between releases.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #6

I just started the second season. I'm literally five minutes in and the comic relief starts. You know, my least favorite thing from the last season. This is gonna be a painful binge.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

How did the binge go!> Running into the same effect with the comic relief banter...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

I love She-Ra and loved this season . It's exactly my jam.

That said 'my jam' is also defined as 'rampant, unchained shipping' so YMMV

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I love She-Ra and loved this season . It's exactly my jam.

That said 'my jam' is also defined as 'rampant, unchained shipping' so YMMV
    Spoiler: Rampant Unchained Shipping
    Show

We got some Scorpia X Catra. an entire episode devoted to it in fact.

and as far as I'm concerned Catra going "Hey Adora" is pretty much a shipping moment between the two, especially since Adora has returned it with "Hey Catra" in the same tone. I just want them to meet and constantly say "Hey Adora/Hey Catra/Hey Adora/Hey Catra" back and forth while they fight while everyone else gets sick of it until someone yells "JUST KISS ALREADY!"

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoiler: Rampant Unchained Shipping
    Show

We got some Scorpia X Catra. an entire episode devoted to it in fact.

and as far as I'm concerned Catra going "Hey Adora" is pretty much a shipping moment between the two, especially since Adora has returned it with "Hey Catra" in the same tone. I just want them to meet and constantly say "Hey Adora/Hey Catra/Hey Adora/Hey Catra" back and forth while they fight while everyone else gets sick of it until someone yells "JUST KISS ALREADY!"
    You have just described my dream episode.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

By far, my favorite episode was...

Spoiler
    Show
    The D&D one. Bow's constant deaths, and the references to the original show (including their outfits and Catra making cat puns and turning into a cat), were wonderful.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The D&D one. Bow's constant deaths, and the references to the original show (including their outfits and Catra making cat puns and turning into a cat), were wonderful.
    I did love that one.
    Spoiler: Episode note
    Show
    Especially that in Bo's version, everyone was wearing their 80s counterpart outfits. That was a nostalgic blast. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks to this season, this show now has more canon gay couples (2) than canon straight couples (1-ish, the guy is dead). Plus, there's the crap tons of ship bait, most of which is between the girls. This show is just so gay, and I love it.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Thanks to this season, this show now has more canon gay couples (2) than canon straight couples (1-ish, the guy is dead). Plus, there's the crap tons of ship bait, most of which is between the girls. This show is just so gay, and I love it.
    I say this in the most sincerely positive way possible: ~It's just like my fanfictions~

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I have a theory that only homosexual couples can have children naturally in this universe, although Glimmer being an amalgamation of her parent’s probably proves me wrong...but then how is Bow an amalgamation of his parents?

Also, you say shipping mostly among the girls as this is something interesting, but we got ONE male in the main cast, one recurring male outside of that, and I think the last episode is the first one that passes the reverse Bechdel test.

That’s right, this show actually fails a reverse Bechdel test in almost every episode...which actually isn’t that unusual among girl-centric shows (e.g. MLP).

Rampant Future focused analysis and Speculation Warning:

Show

it'll be interesting to see how they write around Catra potentially dying from that, and what her position will be in the Horde after, Hordak just sees everyone as tools for him, so he'll probably have to promote somebody else to the position, Shadow-Weaver is still not good with him, so....its probably going to be Scorpia. Scorpia is a person of loyalty and following orders, so Hordak would probably value that over Catra's and Shadow-Weavers untrustworthy natures, and he doesn't care about Adora. it'd be interesting to see a role-reversal in command between Scorpia and Catra.

Science Side:

Spoiler: Entraptas Catra’d, Catras Entraped, Shadowweaver weaves
    Show
    I doubt Catra is good candidate for redemption. The biggest conflict in the show is between Catra and Adora. This show is going to milk that for all its worth. Catra may swallow her pride, even more, and try to make up to Hordak, or leave to form her own fraction. I think the former is more interesting and emotional, and drives Catra even more miserable and angry. Rian Johnson, of course, would have her kill Hordak.

It seems like Catra’s role to be more and more miserable and abandoned by everyone and her move is to just turn that into more negativity. She’ll do that until she explodes, but first I think she’ll let Hordak use her the way she let Shadow Weaver do so her entire life, until she is so repressed she can’t take it anymore.

If anyone is going to move Hordak aside, I’m thinking its most likely going to be Shadow-weaver who makes that play. Hordak is basically a generically evil overlord with no real personal connections to anyone. He’s the most cardboard type character in the show. I think the show would be bettered by his eventual exit.

Shadow-weaver, on the other hand, has just enough emotion and humanity in her that she will most likely manipulate us and everyone else around her until she’s on top.

Entrapta, like Catra and Shadow-Weaver, is not on the redemption path. Sure, at this point she seems simply innocently oblivious to the real harm her experimentation and technology is causing. However, at some point she’ll have her moment of realization, and I think she’s already indicated her willingness to go right over the line in that moment. If Catra gets pushed out or down, it’ll be Entrapta taking her place.

[/SPOILER]
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Aww yeah, season 2!
    Spoiler: Obviously spoilery.
    Show
    Science side thought--rather than portal in big armies, what if Hordak is trying to undo Mara's pocket dimension trap around the planet? If he could pull the planet back through a portal, that nets him his armies from other worlds PLUS a weapon he could use to trap worlds that oppose him.

Spoiler: Weapon & Portal
    Show
    What’s that weapon to trap worlds?

I like the idea of Etheria coming out of the pocket dimension, however, I’m worried about too much happening at once. Despite fan speculation, its way too early to see more than faint hints of Eternia, and we just got that.

I think Season 3 will be dealing with how everything changes once the portal opens but it’ll be a gradual discovery of Etheria’s place in a wider universe. We need to resolve a lot more about the characters before we’re ready to see other worlds in full and get a whole new set of character integrated into the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I have a theory that only homosexual couples can have children naturally in this universe, although Glimmer being an amalgamation of her parent’s probably proves me wrong...but then how is Bow an amalgamation of his parents?

Also, you say shipping mostly among the girls as this is something interesting, but we got ONE male in the main cast, one recurring male outside of that, and I think the last episode is the first one that passes the reverse Bechdel test.

That’s right, this show actually fails a reverse Bechdel test in almost every episode...which actually isn’t that unusual among girl-centric shows (e.g. MLP).

Rampant Future focused analysis and Speculation Warning:

Spoiler: Entraptas Catra’d, Catras Entraped, Shadowweaver weaves
    Show
    I doubt Catra is good candidate for redemption. The biggest conflict in the show is between Catra and Adora. This show is going to milk that for all its worth. Catra may swallow her pride, even more, and try to make up to Hordak, or leave to form her own fraction. I think the former is more interesting and emotional, and drives Catra even more miserable and angry. Rian Johnson, of course, would have her kill Hordak.

It seems like Catra’s role to be more and more miserable and abandoned by everyone and her move is to just turn that into more negativity. She’ll do that until she explodes, but first I think she’ll let Hordak use her the way she let Shadow Weaver do so her entire life, until she is so repressed she can’t take it anymore.

If anyone is going to move Hordak aside, I’m thinking its most likely going to be Shadow-weaver who makes that play. Hordak is basically a generically evil overlord with no real personal connections to anyone. He’s the most cardboard type character in the show. I think the show would be bettered by his eventual exit.

Shadow-weaver, on the other hand, has just enough emotion and humanity in her that she will most likely manipulate us and everyone else around her until she’s on top.

Entrapta, like Catra and Shadow-Weaver, is not on the redemption path. Sure, at this point she seems simply innocently oblivious to the real harm her experimentation and technology is causing. However, at some point she’ll have her moment of realization, and I think she’s already indicated her willingness to go right over the line in that moment. If Catra gets pushed out or down, it’ll be Entrapta taking her place.

[/SPOILER]
    Spoiler: About Hordak
    Show
    I think Hordak is less generic than you give him credit for. Sure, he hasn't done a lot, but it seems like the show's shown that he had his own objectives, his own goals to pursue, and that they actually aren't related to the war against the Rebellion. He's focused on something that, in his mind,
    is far more important than the Rebellion, which is why he leaves that war to his underlings, to whom he gives a lot of freedom to accomplish his given objectives. He rewards loyalty, and he punishes treachery (you'll notice that he gets the most mad when people lie to him). It's pretty unique for cartoon villains,
    who are generally overbearing and quick to dispose of underlings who fail, whereas Hordak only does so when they become disloyal.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Spoiler: About Hordak
    Show
    I think Hordak is less generic than you give him credit for. Sure, he hasn't done a lot, but it seems like the show's shown that he had his own objectives, his own goals to pursue, and that they actually aren't related to the war against the Rebellion. He's focused on something that, in his mind,
    is far more important than the Rebellion, which is why he leaves that war to his underlings, to whom he gives a lot of freedom to accomplish his given objectives. He rewards loyalty, and he punishes treachery (you'll notice that he gets the most mad when people lie to him). It's pretty unique for cartoon villains,
    who are generally overbearing and quick to dispose of underlings who fail, whereas Hordak only does so when they become disloyal.
    Spoiler: Hordak
    Show
    I think you reify Hordak’s hands-off style by letting that be a substitute for an actual personality, background and personal goals.

Hordak has no personal connection to anyone in Etheria other than as a tool. He currently favors Entrapta and let’s her do whatever in his presence because what she does is help him.

If she wanted to dig into something Hordak didn’t want known she’d be gone. He doesn’t really have a relationship with her.

Similarly, Hordak grabbed Adora but had no real reason or appreciation for what he found, he doesn’t care about Shadoweraver or Catra or that pet robot flying baby. He cares about 1 the portal and 2 conquering Etheria in that order,

His hands off approach is just a symptom of this guys overall single-minded detachment from everything and everyone. His background is “he was from someplace more advanced” and all we know he wants something from there. This could potentially be something very personal. For example, he could want someone’s recognition, a way out of exile, or some Etherian magic for his own family, but this is unlikely and not congruent with the original character.

Instead, he is looking for more power. He wants Etheria but likely only as a stepping stone, perhaps as a way to get First One’s tech. If so, he’s left as a villainous cypher with no real humanity and we’ve seen no evidence he is anything else.

Spoiler: Hordak’s horde
    Show
    in contrast the characters that make up Hordak’s officers are some of the riches, multi-sided characters we’ve seen and also got the most development. Shadow-weaver Catra, Entrapta and Scorpia have each received more screen time and personal development than anyone else other than the main three. Even at that level it’s pretty close between them and Bow or Glimmer.

Ultimately this show is being driven by personal conflicts between the characters and Hordak is just not a part of it.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Watched the first three episodes.

(I waas going to binge the last six of FMA: Brotherhood, but Mum got up again, and it was far too late to do that by the time she went back to bed.)

This series is fantastic and Entrappter is best Minion.

I would really like them to somehow bring He-Man it at some point sometime down the the line, because that would be so cool. (Also, Skeletor.) I mean, She-Ra was my preference even back in the day, but I also really loved the cross-over episodes.

Actually, it may have been the first time I ever saw anything do a cross-over like that.

(I'm saying this, of course, without any idea of how the last four episodes go, so...)

19. - Top - End - #19

Spoiler
    Show
    That may have been one of the worst. I hated how it started, and it just soured the rest of the episode regardless of the references to the original She-Ra cartoon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The episode starts with an action sequence, and Bo gets knocked off a parapet. Then it cuts back to reality as basically a dream sequence. Dream more or less equaling hypothetical. Can anyone defend that as good?

The first episode of this season has almost the same thing: interesting confrontation with drama that's a hypothetical simulation. There's an encounter between She-ra and Cat-ra that turns out to just be a hologram training simulation.

On the plus side I do like that...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bo has two gay dads and it's not made that big a deal of.

The series does has a lot of good, but I just can't tolerate the comic relief. I don't hate it. There are worse shows out there - worse animated shows currently running to narrow it down. That being said I don't think I'm gonna watch anymore unless I'm hanging out with friends.

I don't know. Am I just a bitter, cynical, old man who can't have fun?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Indeed you are.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Indeed you are.
    You may be right. But we can all still agree the MCU is objectively trash right?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

You may be right. But we can all still agree the MCU is objectively trash right?
    No, the MCU is objectively gold

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    No, the MCU is objectively gold
    I think there was a misunderstanding. When I typed "MCU" I meant "Marvel Cinematic Universe." I don't know what you're referring to though. Maybe "Majestic Creative Unicorns" or "Many Complete Unicycles" or "Marble Calculator Union."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

At the same time you can all admit that, as a species, you humans are objectively and utterly worthless and shouldn't be let in charge of anything ever and then hand over control to your betters (e.g. me).

I'll pay that price, certainly.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The episode starts with an action sequence, and Bo gets knocked off a parapet. Then it cuts back to reality as basically a dream sequence. Dream more or less equaling hypothetical. Can anyone defend that as good?
    Spoiler: Dream = Hypothetical Stream of Thought = Analysis
    Show
    There’s nothing wrong with a trick beginning. Using trick scenes to shock and surprise is a time honored technique. They can also used to show the audience something cool that they would never do when playing for keeps...

In fact, that’s the whole premise of the episode. The whole episode they play out each character’s power fantasies using RPG miniatures and that’s awesome.

What’s really awesome is the entire time Adora is full meltdown telling us they aren’t being serious, that their plans can’t work...

Yet the end plays out more or less exactly as the princesses dreamed it up.

That’s awesome.

On the plus side I do like that...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bo has two gay dads and it's not made that big a deal of.
    Spoiler: S2E7 Is brilliant and some couples are gay
    Show
    What’s cool is not that they just have gay couples and no one blinks. If anything that’s a bit of a cop out. She’ra does something amazing because they make an entire episode about being gay without actually making it about sexuality or the gay couple.

There’s an easy way to do inclusivity and a hard way. The easy way is to just write in [insert LGBTQ here] where you would otherwise put in a [insert heteronormative] and just have everyone play things out like they’re in a post-heteronormative society (you can also do this for gender and other stereotype-challenging roles). That’s easy because you don’t have to write about what it’s like to be LGBTQ or consider whether there are different ways an LGBTQ sees the world. It also can fall flat as you aren’t so much shifting audience expectations as throwing it in their face.

The hard way is to actually have the character grapple with what it means to be LGBTQ in a society much like our own and/or suggest the character’s identity makes them different, valuable and gives them a unique perspective. That’s hard because its hard to do without falling into stereotypes or failing at actually differentiating the character.

When inserted into an otherwise vanilla show with a vanilla plot its easy for either to come across ham-handed.

She-ra brilliantly avoids the conundrum by turning everything on its head and make entire episode about being gay without actually making it about the gay people. In fact, the gay couple are the ones pushing an agenda of enforced normalcy without realizing it. Instead, we see Bow spend an uncomfortable episode “in the closet” by hiding who he and his friends are. The situation is resolved only when Bow “comes out of the closet” because his unique skills and contributions become immediately necessary.

Also, unmentioned subtext: Bow’s secret is he’s a femmed-up warrior who fights with glammed warrior-princesses.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I think there was a misunderstanding. When I typed "MCU" I meant "Marvel Cinematic Universe." I don't know what you're referring to though. Maybe "Majestic Creative Unicorns" or "Many Complete Unicycles" or "Marble Calculator Union."
    Let people enjoy things. Even the things you don't enjoy.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Let people enjoy things. Even the things you don't enjoy.
    You realize Magic-Hat is joking right?

I mean come on. Someone claiming to be a bitter old man and randomly disparaging the MCU out of left field. Let him have his fun shouting at us as we play on his lawn.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    You realize Magic-Hat is joking right?

I mean come on. Someone claiming to be a bitter old man and randomly disparaging the MCU out of left field. Let him have his fun shouting at us as we play on his lawn.
    Careful. that sounds an awfully lot like positive spinning a troll. you probably didn't intend that, but thats what it sounds like. don't dig a hole.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, you are complaining that a children's show doesn't kill off main characters and has too much comedy, so...yeah, absolutely.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

You guys realize that Magic-Hat's reaction is honest right? Even if it is completely missing the point of what sort of show this is.