New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Advice for a shadowrun 5e game.

After my cousin suggested shadowrun at easter when I me toned playing D&D, I'be been looking at it. It seems 5e has simplified it a bit from what I remember. I am in a position of never having had a chance to play the game.

I don't really know it's intricacies is it really as iffy as I have heard?
    Last edited by Mai; 2019-05-01 at 05:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Advice for a shadowrun 5e game.

The problem is that you're not really asking for any kind of specific advice, so it's hard to help you. What exactly is it you need advice for?

In short: Shadowrun is complex and complicated, very much. This applies to each and every edition, not a single one of them is even remotely close to what I'd call "simple" or "easy to run", 5e isn't a lot better or worse in that regard than earlier editions, in my opinion.

One thing you might consider is waiting on the just this week announced new sixth edition of the game, I bet it won't be any simpler, but it'd at least give a new GM the chance to get in "on the ground floor" with everyone having to learn the game at the same time and allowing you to start the game with a limited amount of options, starting out with the quickstart rules (I think someone said they should be out sometime around June, so not too far away) until the new core gets released at GenCon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Advice for a shadowrun 5e game.

I'd recommend using the edition you are most familiar with (and, more importantly, have all the books for). As Delta said, they ALL have their issues. Since that's the case, use the one you will have the easiest time running.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season