New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Total War: Monstrum IC

January 1st, 1921

The mood in Novska should have been ecstatic. SOme had feared that the War had not truly ended, and in truth, rebellions and nationalistic movements had kept flaring up all over Europe. But things were settling down, international relations were once again opening, and business was booming.

Why, then, was everyone so tense? The weather had to be part of it, biting cold winds, even snow, that made one feel as if the entire city had been transported hundred of miles further north. Few left their houses if they could avoid it and in the streets, the predators were hungry, impatient.

But there was more. The war had scared more than just the mortals. Even in the supernatural community, people had kept their heads down, afraid that the war might come to them, that in the chaos of battle, they might be exposed. And so they had built their power, for years. Too many of them were too much predator for a long peace, of course. Tensions had built, and built, barely held in check by a council few of them really believed in. And, like a spring coiled up too long and too hard, eventually something had to break.

The Election
    To a mortal, the temple would look a damp, earthen cave. Though studded with ancient stonework that must once have been significant, even starkly beautiful, few would mistake it for the meeting place of princes, kings, even gods. But then, among such disparate creatures, what could even count as decor for all of them?
    Those here today know better. To the attuned senses, every rock vibrates with the power of the city, the gathered inhabitants and the attention of the genius loci.
    The Mirror Queen, represented by one of her headless, mirror-crowned maidens, has passed on speaking after the opening ceremony, passing the post of chairman to the Quaestor as usual.
    Baaliation has bedecked himself in Imperial purple robes and a golden diadem, the perfect image of a king from antiquity.
    He had spoken for a while now, wordy as usual. Many of those gathered - whether they be princes, their avatars, representatives or merely visitors - simply tuned out his introductory speech, until he came to the important part.
    “And so, I would like to conclude that we have admirably weathered the recent war. Where empires have fallen and crumbled around the world, Novska endures. Prosperous, rich, a home and a haven for all of us.
    This, of course, is because we have formed a stable, ordered society amongst ourselves. We have a council, we have laws, we can make our grievances heard without resort, as so many others of our kind do, to war and murder as our first and only means of conflict resolution.
    As there are no other issues to bring before the council, we come to the issue of the election. It is my position that is up for debate and a vote, that of Quaestor. THe one holding this position has the right to gather whatever taxes he deems necessary from amongst any of our kind without the rank of Prince, and use them as he sees fit.
    I will not bore you with a long election speech. I have held this position for 240 years, and there never have been complains. I trust you will, once again, elect me.
    As always, the deliberations will be open for one month, and then, the votes will be counted. ”

And then, with a smile, he sat down on the throne that twelve of his servants had laboriously carried in.

The Rally CONFIDENTIAL
    MARJA DERESKI TELLS ALL
    American Fashion Trends Crossing The Ocean? Will Denim Jeans And SHORT Dresses Be The NEW CRAZE?
    Read on For Marja Dereski’s EXCLUSIVE travel log of the United States of America. (pg. 17)
    [Contained within is an ‘interview’ with Marja Dereski, the oldest daughter of Count Vegar. The ‘interview’ is more of an overheard conversation at a cafe between Marja and a friend where in she recounts her tour through the American Northeast and rail trip to Texas. Interest in the flapper movement in particular seems to be the focus of the conversation, and more than a few harsh words are written about Marja’s opinions on the matter. The article goes on to say that this conversation makes it clear the rumours about Marja are true, that she does indeed intend to make a bid for inheritance-of-first-born, rather than the traditional eldest-male of the Dereski Family.

When asked for clarification of her statements in the conversation, Marja declined to comment.]

The Omens
    The Lazy Caravan has cast the bones, letting the lifeblood of a mother cat flow over the bones of a fresh dead infant, his crying mother dressed in wolfsbane and heather. Whatever they saw there has shaken the Caravan to the core, and the elders have sent a message to the Senate asking for help. A new prince is fitfully stirring, so they say, and its birth will herald the doom of Novska.

“In a place of needing company and surest care,
    Lies a hidden secret, of a hidden lair,
    Subdue our body and leave our mind despair,
    Should its birth complete to devour its pair”

The Adriatic Times
    The Novska Police have put out a call for information regarding Lukas Steiner, a known member of The Growlers. In response, The Growlers have stated that Police overstepped their authority and searched two of their garages without a warrant, but found nothing to justify their search. Steiner himself has been slipping into bars here and their claiming that Commissioner Franjo is trying to push his authority and force the mayor to give police sweeping powers.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Monstrum IC

The quiet hum of high voltage permeating the facility seems to fade into the background as the the inner circle of the Lovelace Foundation sits in respectful silence, listening intently to the tinny voices that ring from the apparatus before them.

"So far it's mostly as expected," Ivan remarks. "Remarkable, really."

"Eva was brave to attend in person," Petra comments, to a round of solemn nods.

"As always, the deliberations will be open for one month, and then, the votes will be counted."
    The Quaesator's speech concludes, but the discussion within the Foundation was just beginning.

"About the election. Quaestor... Baaliation?" Mia stumbles over the unfamiliar words, "seems awfully confident he'll be re-elected."

"When the electorate is the same every year, one must imagine they'd reach a consensus sooner or later," Petra says dryly.

"I hardly think-" Ivan stops abruptly, eyes slipping off Petra to the machinery behind her, where a small, nondescript light had begun to blink.

Eva holds a hand to the earpiece and nods to herself. Taking a deep breath, she steels herself for the task ahead of her. She approaches the throne and awaits a quiet moment when the princes and their representatives are discussing among themselves.

Spoiler: Baaliation
    Show
    "My lord, please forgive my ignorance, but in what manner do you prefer to be addressed? I am new in the role of representing my patron and would like to avoid offering offense to such an august personage as yourself."

Spoiler: Velibor
    Show
    "Hello," Eva says, a note of trepidation in her voice. She sets the portable radio she carries down on the table in front of her. "From what I hear, you are the other newest member of the senate. The Engine asked me to introduce it to you."
    "'Hello, Velibor,'" says the crackling voice from the radio. "'It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. How have you found your introduction to politics so far? It must be quite the adjustment.'"

Spoiler: Scarticci Family
    Show
    Honorable Scarticci,
    We have recently found ourselves in possession of a large quantity of funds after recent speculation on the markets, and are uncomfortable with our own ability to secure it. We understand your establishment nearby offers such services, and we are interested in exploring what options you may have available.
    Ivan Kovac,
    Chief Treasurer
    The Lovelace Foundation

Spoiler: The Lamplighters / The Archivist
    Show
    Honorable members of the Illuminated Orient of Novska,
    We have made some recent discoveries which we find are in need of peer review. Unfortunately, we find ourselves sorely lacking in peers well-versed enough in the arcane to validate our experimental results. We are working on drafting a paper documenting our findings. Would you or your patron be interested in reviewing our results before we distribute our results to others in the field?

Spoiler: Avaritia Contractibus Bank
    Show
    We have recently found ourselves in possession of a large quantity of funds after recent speculation on the markets, and are uncomfortable with our own ability to secure it. We understand your establishment nearby offers such services, and we are interested in exploring what options you may have available.
    Having analyzed your own investments, we find your strategies to be nearly optimal. However, your patron's talents and our automated investment engines each offer the other an opportunity to expand our mutual portfolio.
    Ivan Kovac,
    Chief Treasurer
    The Lovelace Foundation
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    TW: Broken City

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!
    TW: Cape City

TW: Supers!
    Image to come

TW: Dystopia
    Peoples Syndicalist Federation of China

Buy my music here

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The Election

Sitting at a table with some paperwork in front of them is a large piece of rotting meat. It isn't entirely clear how it is reading the paperwork but the papers are moving and shuffling as if something is reading them. A few blurps came from the piece of meat and the meaning becomes clear a second later from an androgynous voice.

Inspirational as always, Baaliation.

As for deliberations, I was wondering if we could get a record of what last term's tax money was spent on and whether the amount gained in taxes has increased or decreased as the war has come to an end.

Spoiler: The Novska Small Business Association
    Show

Hello, I hope this letter finds you in good health. I am preparing to campaign for mayor during the next elections and I was hoping for your support in my bid. My platform is a very pro industry including industry subsidies to help bounce back after years of focusing on the war effort as well as an increase in the police force budget and other regulatory bodies which will make it harder for larger industries to get around the labor laws and decrease petty crime.

-Gourmet Radson

Spoiler: The Lions
    Show

Hello,
    I am the owner of Radson's Eateries and a big fan of the Lions. I was wondering there is anyway I can help the Lions out. Specifically, we were hoping to sponsor the team as well as provide catering.

-Gourmet Radson

Spoiler: The Night Circus
    Show

Hello,
    We were wondering if we could set up a concession stand in your circus. We specialize in meat based products but we can vary up the preparations and styles of the meals to better fit with your themes. We would of course pay rent and believe adding our flavors to your offerings would increase both the amount of time a park visitor will stay and the chances they will return.

Spoiler: The city administration
    Show

A form is sent to the administration just going through the proper procedures for an expansion of the eatery into Zaderev, ostensibly to feed the week day lunch crowds.

Spoiler: Avaritia Contractibus Bank
    Show
    Hello, we were wondering if you would be interested in an alliance of sorts.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

The Election

The Archivist’s had but rarely attended these meetings in person, which as a general matter left the position of representative as a fiercely fought over prize, generally won through wagers on future events or contributions of interesting metaphysical trivia to the common understanding.

On this occasion the prize had been won by one Professor Albrecht Becker, an impressively venerable doctor of history and Viennese emigre generally agreed to still have the Academic Legion uniform that occasioned said emigration on proud display in his office. Throughout the Quaestor’s interminable speech, his impressively lifelike glass eye never once ceased peering at one attendee or another, all but filling a notebook with observations recorded in esoteric shorthand.

After Balliation had finished his peace, the elderly academic cleared his throat and, at length, managed to rise from his seat to address the assembled Princes in a steady, if raspy, voice.

“It is, I’m sure, purely a formality. But our fair city’s Archivist has made clear to me that she wishes it stated publicly and without nuance that she has no interest in the Quaestorship, and sees no issue with the present arrangement, from the present vantage.”

That down, he fell into a coughing fit severe enough to seem concerning before sitting down and returning to his notes and observing the meeting.

Spoiler: The Lovelace Foundation
    Show

Becker’s leathery old face split into a wide grin as he read the note, pressing it between the pages of his own book before answering “Patron’ is a grand way of putting it, but she has certainly seemed interested in what you gentlemen-and ladies, of course-have accomplished over there. Even if your building is an absolute blight on the city....”

Taking a long drink of water, possibly just to force himself back on topic, he continued “But yes, it matters what specific field your discussing, but I’m sure I or some of my colleagues or the Archivist would be more then happy in reviewing whatever you’ve discovered and seeing if we can provide some context or criticism.”

Spoiler: Eltest Kha
    Show

Nathaniel Lukas was a well-heeled young man, if one who service in the war and a deep facial scar across his right eye had dragged from ‘handsome’ to ‘striking’. All in all, he fit in rather well among the usual guests of the Light club, not matter how unlikely one was to mistake him for anything but a foreign ambassador.

Delivering his credentials with a crisp salute, he briskly asked to speak with whomever might be serving as seneschal, on the subject of the two organization’s mutual weal’s and growths, and the avoidance of conflict (yes, in those exact words).

Spoiler: Midnight Sun
    Show

A spy with an animal’s head truly shouldn’t be as good at blending in as he was-but then, that was a fairly generally applicable observation for the city’s denizens. Still, Ohmsgate was only so big, and a certain point he took a likely turn and found a strange woman waiting for him, seemingly distracted as her eyes traced probability arcs through the square. Falling into step beside him as she introduced herself with

”Are you human enough to require all the flattery and fencing before we get to anyone useful or interesting? Preferably not, but you do at least seem to be genuinely impress on occasion.”

Falling silently for a span as she looked him up and down with cool eyes, she continued “Now, what sort of understandings does an agent like you require before he undertakes some espionage?”

Spoiler: The Serpent and the Drowned
    Show

Alison Tester was some degree the strangest of the Lamplighters-American, of one. Obviously a sailor rather then an academic, by both appearances and temperment, for another. But she was consumed with the same burning curiosity as the rest of them when some of the Archivist’s planned coincidences had her deliver a vitally needed package to the Orient in the midst of a crisis. And so now her tiny boat worked for the Archivist, and her right eye had been swollen shut with an ugly bruise for the last several years.

So on a certain brisk January day, that boat delivered a few tourists safely to Yigusa Island, before proceeding to a certain point as close to Diver’s Abyss as anyone sane will go, and waiting for a certain signal of accepted parlay (or a signal to run very fast and pray, possibly).

Spoiler: The Waxen Archive
    Show

It was a fine winter’s morning, just before dawn, when a colourful figure slipped into a certain Socelli park, ears tuned for radio waves as she whistled a tune designed to send any primate which overheard stumbling back to bed.

When she reached the exact centre of the area where radios had been overridden, she paused to take a sip form her canteen of honeyed tea, before beginning to speak into the cool morning air.

”Fascinating class, Hymenopetra. Though usually it’s the ants aping civilization in miniature. So I suppose congratulations are in order for passing by agriculture and warfare for a higher calling.”

Taking another long drink, she wiped her mouth before continuing

”Now, assuming you’re not entirely pretense, I believe there’s a chance we’ll get very well. Just look at our titles-cooperating in our work would just make everything much neater, don’t you agree?

With that, she just stood and nursed her tea for a while.

Spoiler: The Novska Historical Society
    Show

Ms. Elsa Keay was a rather dangerously prim-looking and sharp young woman, the only slightly unconventional looking thing about her being the left lens of her eyeglasses refracted light ever-so-slightly differently than it really should. Among many other things, she was both an assistant librarian at the university and, officially speaking, the Illuminated Orient’s secretary and stenographer.

So it really was the least suspicious thing in the world for her to personally deliver a note to the Historical Society’s clubhouse.

Salutations and Best Regards,

At out last general meeting, it was determined that it would be a most worthy endeavour to sponsor and collect a complete and magisterial history of this fair city. Likewise, to organize events or lesser works to raise awareness of our proud heritage, and how our illustrious past leads to the bright future we can look forward to in this new peaceful world.

Naturally, your fine fellowship came to mind instantly as the natural partner for such worthy tasks. As such, it has been left to me to inquire how interested your membership would be in such collaboration?

Fondest Regards,
    Ms. Elsa Keay, on behalf of the Illuminated Orient of Novska

Last edited by St.Just; 2019-05-05 at 04:05 PM.
    The world was born in flame and art,
    The world was born – then torn apart.
    Creation’s sorrow rent the sky
    T​o know all things would cool and die​.

5. - Top - End - #5

The Election

Baaliaton frowns ever so slightly, but then smiles, regal and quite condescending.
    "Taxes are stable. I pride myself on this organisation. And they are used for the protection of the city, 100% of them. If you must know exact amounts, I can have a clerk make copies of the ledgers."

Lovelace Foundation

Baaliation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baaliation smiled down from his high seat, seemingly amused by the mortal’s address. He strokes his beard with one hand, before answering.
    “Simply ‘your highness’ will do young woman. I will take no offense, and your manner of approach pleases me. How goes your experiments into the arcane workings of your thinking engine?”

The Scarticci Family
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Mr. Kovac

That entirely depends on the form these funds take. Assuming we are talking about standard currency, we of course have a broad selection of investment options that we can discuss with you, depending on how much risk you wish in your portfolio and how long-term you wish to make the investments.

Yours sincerely,
    Gabriele Scarticci

The Old Flesh
    The Novska Old Business Association
    Spoiler
    Show

Fascinating, Mr. Radson!

We had of course heard the rumours, I think everyone interested in politics has, by now. And we must admit that your credentials are excellent in that regard, as a business man and a community member.
    Our current major is of course very pro industry, but he has somewhat neglected the many benefits that local, family owned small business have over larger mass-producing industries. Other than enforcing labour laws, what course were you thinking of taking to

Sincerely yours,
    Franjo Babic, Chairman

The Lions
    Spoiler
    Show

Mr. Radson

You mean a "official food of the Lions", that kind of deal? I am sure something can be arranged there, as wee are in fact looking for more corporate sponsors. And of course we are glad it is someone like you. I can send someone to your location with some paperwork, if you wish to finalize a deal.

Regards
    Jovan Petrovic, Manager

The Night Circus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Meat. We like meat. Red, white, pink, grey, green. Juicy. As long as there is variety. Yes, where were we? Oh, yes, last tuesday.

Can not take such a deal. Can not have the effect of the flesh affect the patron's affect. Sweet, sweet unsettlement and paranoia.

Gives us an idea, though. We will need. Innards, organs? Kidneys, preferably. Trucks, perhaps. Six or three? No, three is a prime number, that won't do.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

The elections
    Organization is always so useful. I would like a copy please, I don't need it but if they are available might as well get one. Is there any plans to change to what the money will be spent on now that the war is over?

Also just so I am clear, I am not running. I just like to know these things.

The flesh blubs slightly.

Spoiler: The Lions
    Show

Mr. Petrovic,

Perfect, they can catch me any time the eatery is open or by appointment.

Looking forward to working with you, Gourmet Radson

Spoiler: The Night Circus
    Show

Ah, I can see how that is anti synergistic. We do plan to set up an eatery in that district but now that we know how that might cause problems, we will make sure not to set up too close and not to feed too many people, keeping it more as a back up rather than a full arm.

So for the meat, you need a variety of species' organs particularly kidneys and they must not be sent in a way that could be thought of as them being prime. We will attempt to have a total number of kidneys that is not a prime number as well. Is there any types of meat that absolutely must not be included? If you want to cause distress and they are for eating, human kidneys and kidneys from animals with religious significance or from animals considered pets seems preferable.

Spoiler: Business Association
    Show

Mr. Babic
    I am very interested in anti-monopoly laws, particularly making sale of goods below the cost to produce them illegal. It is a common tactic used to drive away small businesses. Also of interest is the expansion of our markets. Most of Europe at this point is very economically damaged, so the sale of goods should increase massively if we expand appropriately helping both small businesses and the larger factories.

I have also been paying close attention to New Zealand and it's minimum wage regulations. With some of the United States recently having its own minimum wage laws added, I am hoping to see some evidence either backing or debunking the idea. I can't guarantee it will be pushed through though, being so revolutionary it would be a hot topic and it would be very much up to how the common man reacts to the idea. There is some concern about possible loss of the jobs which might result in massive push back but it is very advantageous for the common worker and small businesses.

-Gourmet Radson

Spoiler: Baaliaton
    Show

Quaestor Baaliaton,
    Hello, as you might have heard I am running for mayoral office soon. As the Quaestor and someone well connected with leadership even if this is leadership is less noble than the ones you associate with, I figure it would be good to start talks with you. Particularly what is expected from the mayoral in regards to to the supernatural.

Last edited by Hamste; 2019-05-04 at 11:09 PM.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Ophois, the Guide

"What a speech. And our gathering here, it does seem like even a city with the status of Novska is quite packed with talent and ambition. Must be the war that has brought us all so close to each other."

A tall, dark-haired man eyes the room from near the wall. There's some sense in which he is dishevelled and unkempt, though one cannot pinpoint any specific part of his dress or posture that would be out of order. His voice is quiet but quite distinct, audible through the mutterings in the crowd.

"We are indeed fortunate to have such a safe haven. With honesty, reason and trust in each other and the common institutions that have brought us this far, we will continue to prosper."

There is not a hint of mockery in his tone.

The Bokun Family
    Spoiler
    Show

Greetings,

I am Alfred Wiszne, community leader of the Lost.

As you know, our organization is based near where our people live, at the Industrial Workers' Houses. The terrorist activity by these Undivided folks nearby has been an annoyance to us, and I'm sure, you as well - they're the sort of thing that brings attention and causes difficulty. And in addition the new gangs that have popped up recently are both aggressive and dumb.

I would suggest that a pact would be possible between our two groups. You have funds, connections and most importantly a well-respected name, we have weaponry and loyal soldiers not to mention our own kind of respect among the downtrodden. Together we could clean up the worst of the excesses in our part of the city and translate that into more reach, both in politics and on the street level for business.

Do consider our offer,
    The Lost
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

8. - Top - End - #8

The Lovelace Foundation

Spoiler: Baaliation
    Show
    "Quite beyond all expectations. According to our metrics the Engine has surpassed the computing abilities of the entire foundation staff. It is grateful-" she pauses for a moment. "We are grateful to have been permitted a representative among your ranks and hope we might be of service. We are very lucky to live in a place with such civilized structure among the immortal community."

"If I may ask, your highness, in what manner could we best be able to support your role as Quaestor after your re-election? Our computing facilities can process many trillions of operations per second. We would be happy to avail you of what resources we have available to demonstrate our utility."
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Lord Founder needs no pants to face the beasts of the world, to descend into the darkest pits of the Earth and ascend above the divine clouds!

Image to come

Buy my music here

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Election

The bestial form of Kasdeveris' vessel nods attentively, actually paying attention to everything that was being said (or at least seeming to).

When Baaliaton is challenged for his numbers it allows itself a sharp-toothed before raising his hand "I'll take a copy as well if you don't mind, organization is always useful"

NPCs

Spoiler: The Blue Militia
    Show
    Dearest [Insert presumably known leader name here].

We in The People's Voice Comitee wish to commend you once again for the service you provide to this city's refugee population and our own headquarters, if we can be of any help to your cause let us know.

- Bojan Popović, PVC board member.

Spoiler: Charnelcreep
    Show
    With a prim suit and berett, Michael Milos approached in stark contrast with the rags of the adressed ghoul.

"Found anything good lately?"

Spoiler: Novska Police
    Show
    Comissioner Franjo,

We in the People's Voice Comitee commend your efforts to protect the city from anarchy, and wish to assist you where we can in the search for Lukas Steiner, should his crimes be severe enough.

Spoiler: The Growlers
    Show
    A low ranking party member goes pub-diving in known growler-friendly establishments, hoping to hear a bit about Lucas Steiner and why the police is so keen on grabbing him. He does not bother to ask any direct question, quite wary of getting a black eye.

PCs

Spoiler: The Lovelace Foundation and the Thinking Engine
    Show
    A chipper young man on a working suit and berett walks across the reception and towards the Desk, he may be recognized as the PVC's leader.

With an apologetic smile he adresses the secretary, pulling the suit's neck a bit "the name is Michael Milos miss*, I was wondering if it'd be possible to meet the head board, I don't actually have an appointment..."

*sir?

Spoiler: The Old Flesh
    Show
    -Fellow Prince.

Seeing as we share a concern for the city's well being, and the seeming stagnation its political system has fallen into, would you care to support me in a possible candidature, only if Baaliation's
    numbers should not please us, of course...

- Kasdeveris.

Spoiler: The lost (Ophois)
    Show
    A discreet PVC delegation lead by Kasdeveris(' host) is sent out to meet with the lost and discuss political stance and a possible cooperation. They go unarmed, for a mortal understanding of the word.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2019-05-05 at 04:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Tick, Tick, Tick.

The clockwork king who stood as the representation for the dollmaker had everything being said between the participants electrically recorded and transmitted directly to their "savior", with the cutting edge technologies of the era. Where once the king before them was human now the back of his head was open and was kept packed together with a glass chrome skull so the gears and mechanized parts which made him run could be easily accessed and fixed within his skull with ease. From where his mouth use to be beeps and various parts of the conversations exchanged between everyone echoed in his belly as the monstrous mechanisms entangled in the place of his soul. A phonograph appeared to be sticking out of his chest to catch conversation that might be missed if only human ears were taking in information.

The Dollmaker himself did not attend such an event but the being before them was a mechanical avatar allowing him to be in two places at once. Contained within this poor individual were thousands of recordings of the dollmakers voice as well as a decision engine which had been designed to institute the dollmakers policies with as careful precision as possible without him being there himself in all his glory.

"The status quo is acceptable at this time."
    His lips did not sync up right with the voice coming out and so the gears stuttered a moment and then he repeated the phrase this time it worked as intended correcting the inacurracy.

The Bone Mill
    Spoiler
    Show
    A telegram is sent, avoiding the untrustworthy use "people" to move information. Only the machine can be trusted to obey their masters.
    HTML Code:
    We want you to know we support you 100% as always.
    You continue to grow with the times and while you never lose the past you embrace the future.
    We look to see your growth and success and hope we can do all in our power to ensure your rise.
    Should you need anything do not hesitate to contact us. 
    We are looking to improve things further and provide safer communique in the future.

Damjanac Heavy Industries
    Spoiler
    Show
    A telegram is sent despite their two businesses being walking distance from one another.

HTML Code:
    Rumors of your mistreatment of workers has not gone unnoticed.
    We find you are incredibly inefficient, three men harmed in your facilities have been brought into my care in the last month.
    Our business models would increase productivity by 200%.
    Do not dismiss the worker.
    Remember what happened in Russia.
    We offer full partnership.
    The anger of the worker might boil over if you continue on your current path

The Lovelace Foundation & the Thinking Engine
    Spoiler
    Show
    A telegram is sent.

HTML Code:
    We are fascinated by your technological acumen
    You and I stand within the same paradigm.
    The age of ancient gods snacking on humans achieving nothing but filled bellies must end.
    We would like to offer a full alliance.
    To quicken the technological revolution.
    Let us look to end the era of superstition and bring about scientific evolution.

Prince Alphonse Avarica
    Spoiler
    Show
    A telegram is sent

HTML Code:
    Behind every great scientist is a greater banker.
    We would like to offer a full alliance, we need our projects financed and you need a customer that is looking to grow.
    Technology is the future.
    Old gods believe themselves above paying off their cheque books.
    They believe in donations to temples.
    They don't suffer money men.
    I need money men.
    I hope something can be arranged.
    Amazing avatar by Gengy

Empire 4- Vampiric Republic turned Vampiric Oligarchy
    Empire 5- Psychic Daddy

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The Cloaked Leviathan

The Election

Despite the crowd gathered at the meeting of Novska's Princes - to hear an ostentatious windbag speak and sycophants sing his praises - there exists a knot of tension throughout one particular corner of the hall. The petitioners of those immortal beings, themselves in varying degrees of mortality, know better than to disturb the emissary of one particular being that has only recently made this city its home. The Drowned, as they are called within the supernatural polity of Novska, attract looks of fear and discomfort wherever they pass. Today is no exception, as a single figure wrapped in a robe of patchwork sailcloths sits at the edge of one of the temple's benches. The entity that was once Jack Scrimshaw - famed navigator of New South Wales - leans forward with a slight hunch, its grey and mottled skin dripping beads of seawater upon the stone. As usual it is silent, but bloodshot eyes follow the proceedings carefully.

However, today Scrimshaw has brought something new. An object of a roughly spherical shape, perhaps slightly smaller than a man's head, sits in the Drowned ambassador's lap. Anyone sitting near it can see the object for what it is: a glass bowl filled with murky water. The shape moving within is mysterious at first, but it soon becomes obvious that Scrimshaw is holding onto a house goldfish. Scrawled in a sloppy script on a piece of parchment affixed to the bottom of the board are three little words.

The Cloaked Leviathan.

PCs

Spoiler: To the Archivist
    Show
    Despite the sun's presence, the waters surrounding the Abyss are fathomless. Whatever lives down there must do so without the presence of any light. Tester's craft seems small in comparison to the black, sharp shoals that protrude from the cliffs of Yigusa Island like so many teeth. It seems obvious, in hindsight, why the followers of the Elder Serpent would choose such a place to reside. With each wave that breaks upon the rocks comes the froth, and the promise of shipwreck. For a moment, Tester sees so many vessels - all much larger and better appointed - shatter ignominiously upon the same surface, a singular destiny scattered across millennia.

"You wish to speak to our master," rasps a voice from the stern of Tester's boat. Turning around, she notices that there is a figure standing on the craft: a six and a half-foot tall figure that could only generously be called 'female'. White, stringy hair only covers clumps of a bald scalp. Muscles atrophied cling to a big-boned frame, under dark grey leather armor in an antique style native to those who took the way over the wind cold ice to Vinland. Any historian would recognize the profile Brenna Alvasdöttir, fourth and most terrible of the Drowned. "Make voice your wishes, and I will convey them below."

Spoiler: To Solis Aeterni
    Show
    Whatever creature has come out of the river was shot down by cannon by the overzealous City Militia before they realized it was carrying a white sail by means of truce. Wrapped up in a purple funeral shroud, the entity strode up to the fort before presenting itself to those who would speak for the sun.

"My master has instructed me to pass on a message," whispers the mottled, bloated corpse through blue-grey lips.

NPCs

Spoiler: To the Tidesingers
    Show
    Sometimes, when a being sings to the sea... it sings back. Today is such a day.

Thousands of fish suddenly rise to the surface of the Adriatic not too far from the shores of Cres. They are, to a one, dead, even as a gentle tide washes them right into the nets of the fishermen who live in that place. For January the tide is remarkably calm, and to the mortals of the sleepy seaside town, the gift is an unexpected bounty. But to those who would offer such bargains of their own, the omen is as clear a sign as any. The wind whispers to the witches of Cres, moving with an eldritch will and a power so deep and quiet as to be the embodiment of the ocean itself.

It is an invitation, to the place where no creature goes. To the Pit, to speak with the Serpent itself.

Spoiler: To Godseeker
    Show
    "Good evening," says the visitor at the door to the shack overlooking the ocean after knocking politely. The torn remnants of a blue navyman's uniform - preserved for several decades - are visible beneath the soaked mantle, though the golden epaulets and trim have long since faded into nothing. The face that greets the old man is perhaps less decomposed than one might have expected. An aquiline nose and weak jowls war for dominance over this messenger's face, although its flat eyes and barnacle growths leave no doubt as to the creature's provenance.

"My name is Francis Crozier, formerly captain of the Royal Navy. I speak for my master, the Leviathan. May I come in?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-05-10 at 08:49 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

The Election

Professor Becker rose again, hurriedly adding "It should go without saying, but the Archivist will obviously require such records as well. In fact, are similar notes available for previous years? And how far back have are they available? Changes in the tax burden and distribution of patronage are always vital sources in understanding government.

PCs

Spoiler: The Serpent and the Drowned
    Show

The Lamplighters were selected for a very particular kind of personality-generally one with a short lifespan, which perhaps explains why Tester’s reaction to Brenna was not of fear but of something between fascination and awe, tilting her head to properly view her with her bruised, swollen-shut left eye.

After a moment, she recalled herself, stepping back and replying “[i]For such paranoid creatures, our patrons put a lot of trust in us proxies, don’t you think? Three steps from one Prince to another, so many chances for misinformation and misinterpretation.” Giving Brenna another long look, she shrugged and continued “But then, not exactly a worry with you, is it?”

“But I’m getting ahead of myself-you wanted to know what the Archivist wants? Well, most of all she wants to know what your patron wants-a biblical beast floating in the shadows of our cozy little town doesn’t exactly bode well, does it?

But in terms of more practical things, well, you’re master’s not the only really terrifying beast hanging around the outskirts, is he? And speaking from experience, our work survives flood rather better then fire. We’d like to avoid both, of course. But if there’s no chance of that, well, we’d like to work out a contingency or three, is all.”

Spoiler: The Dollmaker
    Show

An immaculately penned and composed letter is delivered to a certain clockshop by courier, left with the morning mail.

[i]Salutations and Best Regards

I write on behalf of the Illuminated Orient of Novska, the ‘Lamplighters’, in the vernacular, and through them our benefactor, the city’s most enlightened Archivist.

We have watched the spread of your works with no small degree of curiosity and awe, as they seem truly miraculous products of reason. Moreover, these marvellously subtle designs seem liable to grow much more common in the coming age.

It is the great work of our society to gather and publish a general history of our fair city, and if it is to remain in any degree current your designs will surely have a place in it, yet at present we have nothing but hearsay on the subject. Is there any literature you or your followers have authored you might be able to provide copies of, for the sake of posterity-pamphlets, propaganda, maintenance manuals, or similar?

Failing that, or in addition to it if providence smiles upon us, would it be at all possible for a member of our society to witness some number of your operations, possibly while taking notes or sketches?

Fondest Regards,
    Ms. Elsa Keay, on behalf of the Illuminated Orient of Novska

Spoiler: The Old Flesh
    Show

Nathaniel Lukas is a striking, dashing sort of man-the kind who would have been devilishly handsome before the war left him with a sabre scar running down the right side of the face, eye included. Which meant he did rather stand out among the breakfast crowd of the Eatery. Waiting politely to speak with the host or maitre'd, he simply stated that he had a request of ‘some small scientific and public interest, to the city and posterity, that should be no great trial to fulfill. And, once concluded, perhaps the chance of some discussion of more commercial matters, as well.’

NPCS
    Spoiler: The Lazy Caravan
    Show

Professor Becker is truthfully not that strange a sight visiting the caravan-as a Prfessor of (among other things) esoteric folklore, he would be remiss if he did not write prolifically on the local example. Still, he’s usually polite, and always pays well for others time.

On this chill evening he arrived seeking out a fortune teller, asking “For whomever cast the recent omens they found so disturbing the Senate was notified.”

Currently awaiting responses from: [PC] Etest Kha, Lovelace Foundation, [NPC] Waxen Archives, Midnight Sun, Novska Historical Society
    Currently composing responses to: [n/a]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Solis Aeterni

Election
    If Baaliation the image of a king of antiquity, Solis Aeterni was the picture of modern power and strength. He was clad in a tuxedo, which fit tightly across his overly muscled chest. His head was an incandescent ball of light, with a pair of dark sunglasses perched on his face.

HOW DISAPPOINTING! Solis boomed as he stepped forward. BAALIATION HAS KEPT THINGS STABLE, THAT MUCH IS TRUE. BUT IS THAT THE HEIGHT OF YOUR AMBITION? TO SIMPLY STAY SAFE AND FAT? WHERE IS YOUR DRIVE FOR MORE? MORE POWER, MORE WEALTH? YOU COUNT PENNIES WHEN YOU SHOULD BE STRIVING FOR EVER GREATER FORTUNES! THE MORTAL WORLD IS IN FLUX, AND THAT SPEAKS OF OPPORTUNITY! WE SHOULD TAKE FULL CONTROL OF THIS ISLAND, AND USE THAT CONTROL TO BRING EVEN GREATER WEALTH! LET NOVSKA GROW POWERFUL AND PROUD AND LET THEM USE THAT POWER TO BETTER SERVE US!

Spoiler: The Cloaked Leviathan
    Show
    The corpse is met by a retired cavalryman. Though his hair has long gone white and his skin is full of wrinkles, he is still as fit as a man in the prime of his life, his eyes have flecks of light dancing in them, and his mustache is simply magnificent.

Ho there drowned one! You bring a message you say? Well spit it out then! No sense keeping us in suspense, let us hear what the Greatest Beast has to say!

Show
    YOU EVIDENTLY HAVE A PLAN FOR THE MORTALS OF THIS LAND! THAT IS GOOD! I ALSO HAVE A PLAN, AND YOUR SUPPORT WOULD BE INSTRUMENTAL IN ITS SUCCESS! IF YOU PROMISE ME YOUR SUPPORT, THEN I SHALL PROMISE THAT NONE SHALL MOLEST YOU OR YOUR CULT WITHOUT FACING THE WRATH OF THE SUN!

ALSO I FIND THE NAME OF YOUR MORTAL CULT TO QUITE APPROPRIATE AND FITTING TRIBUTE.

Spoiler: Velibor The Shade
    Show
    A beam of light strikes the ground outside the shade's lair, burning a message in the ground.

THE BRIGHTEST LIGHT CASTS THE DARKEST SHADOW. HELP ME SHINE EVER BRIGHTER AND YOU SHALL PROSPER BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS.

Spoiler: Dollmaker
    Show
    I WOULD DEMAND AN ANSWER FROM YOU.

YOU GIVE WHAT SHOULD BE EARNED. WHY?

Spoiler: The Bone Miller
    Show
    YOU HAVE NOT BEEN IDLE AND HAVE CONTINUOUSLY SOUGHT IMPROVEMENT, FOR THAT YOU HAVE MY PRAISES! NOW I WOULD SEEK YOUR ASSISTANCE IN IMPROVING THE REST OF NOVSKA AS WELL! OF COURSE YOU CAN EXPECT THAT SUCH ASSISTANCE WILL RESULT IN EVEN GREATER WEALTH AND POWER FOR YOURSELF.

Spoiler: The Group of Five
    Show
    An elaborate letter is sent to each member, it's sides gilded with gold, and shining brightly whenever the faintest bit of light lands on it. The letter reads:

We have heard rumors of your amazing feats and fabulous adventures. We of the Pugiles Solis pride ourselves on facing any challenge and doing the impossible. So hearing that you beat us to the punch on such an adventure, well, many of our member are filled with both admiration and envy in equal amounts.

So we invite you to our club, The Blazing Sun, to speak of your adventures, and to hear our own. There will be food and drink aplenty, and we hope to hear of your attendance.

Pugiles Solis

Spoiler: The International Hunting Society
    Show
    A much plainer, though still fancy letter is sent to their headquarters. The letter reads:

Welcome Hunters,

We of Pugiles Solis appreciate the will and strength that drives you to hunt those that would prey on our fellow man. While our own ambitions are often much less noble, we still often find ourselves sharing much the same desire. So we invite you to come to our club, The Blazing Sun, to share in our food, hear our stories, and to speak freely when you wish.

Pugiles Solis
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #14

The Archivist
    Midnight Sun
    Spoiler
    Show
    The spy gives a kind of wide-beaked squawk that might be laughter or a scared gasp, it is difficult to tell. For a moment, the shadowy haze around him lifts, revealing a piercing dark eye in a and white head.
    "The opposite. I appreciate directness. The understanding is simple. What, when, where, how. As much information as you have.
    For payment, I take most mortal currencies. I can use those to purchase my needs. Unless you have any good contracts with construction or shipping companies. I also accept payments in credit with those. As long as they are discreet and neither they or you as any questions.
    So, what is it you need?"

The Waxen Archive
    Spoiler
    Show
    An enormous buzz swells up, as a hundred scouts swarm up, each scanning the newcomer in sideways zig-zag flight, like a swivelling camera.
    Seemingly satisfied, the scouts retreat and drones fly out next, focused in a dense, dark formation, the size of a human head. Sharp directed bursts of radio waves come forth, conveying several streams of information simultaneously at high density, like a chorus of questions asked at once in a crowded room.

++Threat assessment: Prince class, alarm level raised +3.599repeating, no current hostilities++

++Slight indignation: ants? Really? Pleeaaaaase++

++Class Twelve Information Density, Reciprocal Exchange Y/N?++

++Agriculture unnecessary for sufficiently advanced culture, preferred method hunter-gathering on agricultural institutions provided by sufficiently guided larger species (re:human)++

++Cooperation preferable, circumstances to be established -> subcommittees?++

++Initiate diplomatic protocols: Many thanks for your congratulations honoured archivist. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. ++

The Novska Historical Society
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Ms. Keay

It is always good to hear of enthusiastic amateurs eager to learn more about the fascinating history of our fair city. Please do not hesitate to ask as for any and all information you would like and we will be glad to help you.

Wilhelm Holub, Esq.
    Society Chancellor

15. - Top - End - #15

The Old Flesh
    The Lions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Petrovic is a somewhat greasy-looking man in his forties, almost completely bold and a good deal overweight, but with an infectious smile and a firm handshake.
    He strides into the eatery the very next day with a small briefcase under one arm and asks to see management.

The Night Circus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unconcerned Shrug. Yes, I just wrote that, deal with it.

Who knows a human kidney from a sheep kidney? Not most humans, that's who! Make it about the right size, and we can use it. No need to make this complicated.

The Novska Small Business Association
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, excellent, Mr. Radson, excellent indeed. You really are establishing yourself as a firm antipode to the mayor. Some of us are of course a bit sceptical on minimum wage, but you had our full support when price regulations and monopolies were mentioned. Goods, of course, must always be worth what they are worth.

Please consider this a full endorsement.

Baaliaton
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, we never had a lot of expectations for the mayor. As far as we are concerned, it is a convenient office to have. Someone, after all, needs to deal with mortal needs and it might as well be one of them. And, of course, mortals have this tendency to sooner or later find out bits and pieces about our side, so having someone who knows just enough to be scared and in turn keeps the rest of them quiet is very convenient.

If of course, someone more... engaged with royal affairs were to occupy the position, well, the sky would be the limit. We can see the advantage in such an arrangement.

The Bokun Family
    Spoiler
    Show
    And Greetings to you.

Quite frankly, we can use all the help we can get. Of course we are very aware that our ideas on the division of labour and later division of spoils may not agree with yours, but then, I suppose, that one might say that beggars can't be choosers.

In any case, do come by the pub some day. This is the kind of arrangement that should be made in person.

Marko Bokun

The Lovelace Foundation
    Baaliaton
    Spoiler
    Show

Fascinating. My own organisation is old fashioned in many regards. For my role as Quaestor, I employ clerks and handwritten records. It is a question of reliability and reputation.

But the possibilities are intriguing. Perhaps insted of finance, your efforts could be turned to statistics? Modelling of the mortal population numbers, crime, wealth distribution, movement of goods? And in the royal world, the comings and goings of princely beings and their acolytes, their goods, their commerce?"

16. - Top - End - #16

The Lovelace Foundation

Spoiler: PVC / Kasdeveris
    Show
    The woman working reception smiles warmly. "Of course! Let me call up and see who's available."
    She picks up the mouthpiece of the telephone on her desk and dials an internal number.
    "Dr. Kovac, I have a gentleman from the People's Voice Committee here. He says he wants to meet with the board?" She pauses for a moment, listening. "Yes, of course."
    She turns back to the young man. "It looks like Dr. Kovacs and Dr. Vlohva are available. Someone will be down in a moment to take you up."

She reaches across the desk and hands him a lanyard on which hangs a card emblazoned with a large red V (and in smaller text, the words: "Visitor; escort required.")

Within a few minutes, the sliding doors at the back of the lobby open and a middle-aged woman in what appeared to be a men's pants and a suit jacket beckons the man into the elevator.
    "I'm Petra Vlohva, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."
    As the elevator ascends, she narrows her eyes at the man.
    "So," she says offhandedly. "Is this related to the election?"

Spoiler: Dollmaker
    Show
    A reply comes quite quickly:
    Code:
    It is excellent to see another of the same mind!
    We had feared we were lacking in peers.
    Many others interested in gaining knowledge, rather than power
    still practice antiquated & inefficient superstition. 
    There is much to discuss.

Spoiler: Baaliaton
    Show
    "Of course! That would be an excellent use of our skills. And a challenge, to be sure. Thank you, your Highness. We hope to stay in touch, with whatever information we can provide to assist you in your work."
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Election

Emilia sits to the side, seemingly comatose

At Club Donau
    The Pipe was listening to a beautiful girl singing a tryout for an act at the club. She was good, not the best the Pipe has heard, but pretty good. With a little coaching she could be as good as Emilia, but not much better. Otto and Stephan were enjoying the performance, but had a string of critiques ready to go to bring down her ego. Emilia may stand up for her, where was Emilia.... Crap, the elections are going on. The Pipe quickly moved its conscience across the town to the election right as Baaliation was finishing. Hopefully it didn't miss anything important, the Pipe was juggling too much these days getting ready to expand it candidate pool.

To Fwerstok Fisheries, Farkas Mining Conglomerate, Mayor Vedran Markovic (City Administration), Damjanac Heavy Industries
    Spoiler
    Show

each group above receives the following invitation

Club Danau is hosting a special event for the Development of Novska. As one of the industrial leaders of the city you are hereby invited to join the gathering next Wednesday Evening.
    (OOC: This will be the industrialist party in my next post)

To the Dollmaker
    Spoiler
    Show

At the end of the election, Emilia approaches the doll,

"We are inviting many of the industrialists of the city for a gathering at Club Danau. The purpose is to further develop the city in their favor and create a friendship with those groups. I have included an invitation for you if you wish to attend."

She also hands an envelope with a letter

Club Danau is hosting a special event for the Development of Novska. As one of the industrial leaders of the city you are hereby invited to join the gathering next Wednesday Evening.

(OOC: This will be the industrialist party in my next post)

To Emily Vanders (and the professor of the Group of 5), the International Hunting Society, The Adriatic Times, The RALLY, Preston Fairmont, Novska FC
    Spoiler
    Show

Club Danau is hosting a special event for the Development of Novska. As one of the cultural leaders of the city you are hereby invited to join the gathering next Friday Evening.
    (OOC: This will be the inventors party in my next post)

To the Lovelace Foundation
    Spoiler
    Show

After the election Emilia approaches Ivan.
    "We are inviting a large group of inventors and culture magnets to a party at Club Danau next Friday. If you are able to attend..." She hands you an invitation
    Club Danau is hosting a special event for the Development of Novska. As one of the cultural leaders of the city you are hereby invited to join the gathering next Friday Evening.
    (OOC: This will be the inventors party in my next post)

To Silver Falcon, The Dainava Howlpack (assuming they have a human form), Novska Police, The Blue Militia, Vascavin Medoze, Odette Medici (assuming she can leave her mansion)
    Spoiler
    Show

Club Danau is hosting a special event Saturday Evening and you are invited to attend.
    (OOC: This will be the Long party in my next post)

To all Princes
    Spoiler
    Show

Club Danau is hosting a party next Saturday evening. If you would like to attend and have not received an invitation please let us know and we will get you one with haste. Mortal attire and customs will be required.
    Last edited by HerbieRAI; 2019-05-06 at 02:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

ELTEST KHA

The Chtonic Temple wasn’t far outside of Novska, but still required a short trip from the city limits. The tall green figure that had left its chamber in the Light Club Lodge was a well-dressed human male before it left the building. By the time it was traveling the paths to the Temple, it appeared a rugged human hunter, and two other apparent hunters met it as an escort on its short journey. Eltest Kha’s human entourage stayed outside as it entered the Temple, its human shape quickly melting back to the bright shining figure that the alien considered its native form.

Even after all this time, Eltest Kha could not help but consider Earthly life unusual. The alien was not upset or regretful that it had come to exist on Earth, rather, none who spoke to it were ever truly sure it registered those emotions as it pursued some inscrutable purpose. However, those fa͢m͟i̛lia̴r ̢wi͢th̴ ̢the ͠a͟l̸ien knew it sometimes appeared to be working past some distraction or disturbance as it reconciled its own senses with Earthly sh͝a͡pes̡, co̷҉͏l̶̵o͏r͏͘͟s͟͠, d̀́͜͠i̢̧̨ŕ̵̵̨e͢c̶͜͞t̡͢i̸̡͟ơ̸͞͡n̨ş͡, T͘͢͢͢͝H̀͞҉͏Ę̵͘ ̧̕P͘̕Ą̷͟͟͜S̢̧S̵͏A̡͘͟͏G̀̕͝E̶̴̡͢ ̶̕͏Ǫ͘͜F̛͘͞ ̷̴̶̛̛T̴͢͟͜͞I̷͘M̛͜͏E̷̶͜͞. It was ironic then that the Cthonic Temple, for all its Earthen heritage, felt the most familiar to Eltest Kha. Millennia of use by the monstrous princes and the influence of their power has left the temple with a sort of aura, one that Eltest Kha cannot describe but can feel, and it feels familiar.

Eltest Kha waited for a moment to speak, having listened to Baaliaton’s speech, the questions from the assorted Princes, and the avatar of Solis Aeterni express his desire to see himself voted Quaestor.

“I believe I would be an acceptable Quaestor. You may vote for me if you feel that best. I do not have reason to believe that Novska would be served better by myself than another Quaestor, however. I will not be pushing for support for such votes and will not be voting for myself. Baaliaton, I agree that we have seen no true misfortunes arise from your service, but Solis is worth hearing out.
    I wonder how Solis plans to use the role of Quaestor to establish more direct control of the… peninsula, unless the island you refer to is Yigusa? Once greater wealth is established, you speak of a powerful and proud Novska “serving” us. Is this a reference to returning the taxes back to the minor powers in exchange for loyalty? Deals with Mortal Novska? Or something else entirely?
    I am curious as to what Balliaton has to say to Solis’s answers to my questions, as well as the thoughts of the Senate as a whole.

I would like to have a second matter discussed as well. I believe the Senate has a responsibility to discover what The Mist in Bakar is and what it is doing. Are any other Princes here in concurrence?”
    ---
    MESSAGES TO PCS
    To the Cloaked Leviathan
    Spoiler
    Show
    A plainly dressed man steps off the boat to Yigusa Island, seeking a representative of the Drowned. The man’s master, the Prince and alien Eltest Kha, had given him direction to meet with the followers of the Leviathan.
    “Eltest Kha seeks correspondence with the followers of the Leviathan. We understand the interest that the Leviathan might have in access to the New Harbour, as the widest and deepest bay from which to access Novska, and resultant popularity as a port for incoming ships. The Light Club is currently seeking to bring the Port Authority to heel, to keep mortals from interfering with any Princes who may wish to make use of the port. We hope to keep the port open to the need of Leviathan and the Drowned, though in return we hope the Leviathan will leave the harbor to us, and the Drowned keep us apprised of any plans you have in those waters. Perhaps once we are more in control of the port and the Port Authority, we can share information on which ships might be valuable targets, and which ships we need left alone? Tell us what you think.”

To the Archivist
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nathaniel is led to a private room off the side of the main lobby of the Lodge, where a woman rises out of a large, padded chair. She appears to be wearing a military dress uniform of some sort, but no national identification or sign of mercenary loyalty can be seen.
    “Ah, I am told you are a representative of the Lamplighters? You can speak to me, my name is Marissa Ensten. I trust avoidance of conflict will be easy, as the Light Club has no interest nor claim to the University District, nor any desire to create animosity with the Lamplighters or even the Novska Historical Society. We trust you do not intend to cause problems in New Harbour?
    As for our mutual growths, I am interested in what you have to offer. We are currently focusing on getting more directly involved with the port, but if you know of other avenues for growth I am all ears.

To Solis Aeterni
    Spoiler
    Show
    “You may view it as tribute if you like. I am from beyond the stars, and you are the nearest star. In a way, this is a sort of connection. I would be happy to throw my support behind you, noble sun, but I would ask for at least some explanation of what I would be supporting. I am as glad you have a plan as you are glad I have one, and I am interested in helping them align.”

To the Joy Spiders
    Spoiler
    Show
    A man is given a waterproofed message and drowned off the cliffs of Castle Novask.:
    “Princess Szeretet, my followers would be enamored with clothes and armor of your make, but I am still consolidating my power before I will have the funds to pay you for such tools. I am still interested in establishing a positive relationship, in preparation for a future arrangement. What do you think?”

To the Pied Pipe
    Spoiler
    Show
    “I will be there. Please, an address an invitation to Ethan Khast, if a mortal façade must be kept up.”

---
    MESSAGES TO NPCS
    To Silver Falcon
    Spoiler
    Show
    A former Austro-Hungarian soldier arrives at the Silver Falcon mansion as messenger from the Light Club.
    “Hello. Many of us in the Light Club, as soldiers and former soldiers ourselves, wish to express our admiration of the actions of the Silver Falcon in the war. We would be interested in meeting your company, if you wish, perhaps to eat and meet with fellow soldiers and survivors of the war, share stories and that sort of thing. If things go well, let it be said that some of ours who are less eager to retire from the soldier life would be interested in membership in the Silver Falcons. Of course, any of your number interested in the brotherhood of the Light Club are free to apply for membership as well. Perhaps with enough shared membership, opportunities for shared training exercises or recruitment would be a possibility?”

To Farkas Mining Conglomerate
    Spoiler
    Show
    A letter, written by a human hand:
    “Hello. Some of ours looking to plan a trip through the local mountains soon. We understand you and yours are prospecting the area for possible veins of valuables stones and metals, and we wanted to ensure that a troupe of men and women hiking in those mountains wouldn’t disturb you, or that we were not trespassing on your land.
    Additionally, were we to go through with this trip, is there procedure in the Farkas Mining Conglomerate for accepting tips from outsiders, were we to notice anything in our travels?”

To Vascavin Medoza
    Spoiler
    Show
    A letter, written by an alien hand:
    “Vampire, we see no reason one of your stature is denied the status of Prince for long. The tradition of seniority is irrelevant, and the establishment of a following is a minor obstacle. I wonder if a specific problem holds you back. Perhaps I can be of assistance?”

To City Militia
    Spoiler
    Show
    A woman in professional dress approaches Fort Karlovac with a message:
    “Hello. As you may be aware, many members of the Light Club are former soldiers. Many of them would love to visit the fort, if they may, to perhaps help ease the restless transition to civilian life. They feel the opportunity to see the insides of a fort, see the guns and artillery again... they feel the familiarity may be comforting. Of course, many of us are also just interested in discussing the soldier’s lot in life with the soldiers of the militia and hear the stories from the mountain rangers.”

To Laurin King of Roses, Shamaran, and The Bleak Duke
    Spoiler
    Show
    Messages are sent to each of the ambassadors, asking what monsters or organizations each of them are ambassadors on behalf of.

To the Scion of Bast
    Spoiler
    Show
    A messenger from the Light Club does his best to track down the panther woman with the following message from Eltest Kha:
    “Scion of Bast. I request your knowledge. What do you know of the rise and fall of Bast and her contemporaries? Entire pantheons banished, and only those such as yourself remain. I wish to know as much as I can of this subject. We will recompense you for this information if you wish.”

To the Growlers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Several Light Club members, underdressed and overarmed, seek out the Growlers in the Warren:
    “We both know the Novska police overstep their authority at every step. We’re keeping an eye out for opportunities to tip local politics away from supporting such authoritarianism, but any egregious and visible crimes in the meantime are only going to drum up support for the police. You can count on us to support a weaker police force, but we believe you would do best to act with some subtlety in the meantime.”

To the City Administration
    Spoiler
    Show
    A written letter is addressed to the mayor in a human hand:
    “Mayor Vedran Marković, the leader of the Light Club is interested in the wellbeing and independence of Novska, and by extension wishes a chance to provide you his support in exchange for you ear. He is interested in a chance to meet you and was hoping the name Ethan Khast might be added to the invitation list for an upcoming party or private event.
    He trusts you are aware of the growing influence of the Light Club, and how helpful that might be.”

To the Blue Militia
    Spoiler
    Show
    An unsigned letter is passed off to a Blue Militia member, it reads:
    “Heed this warning. We have reason to believe the rising string of murders in Novska may be related to the leader of the People’s Voice Committee. It is always the weak and the lost who are easiest to be targeted by such killers. Do not trust them, for the safety of your flock.”

To Midnight Sun
    Spoiler
    Show
    A letter, written in an alien hand:
    “Skilled spy, I wonder how one of your talents takes their payment. Do you deal in mortal wealth, or something else?”

To the Novska Port Authority
    Spoiler
    Show
    A meeting is arranged between a few members of the Light Club and lower level suits of the Port Authority:
    “We understand that the Port Authority is more a deterrent for pirates than a foreign invasion, but we understand the importance of the open port to the independence of Novska. To that end, we wish to work with the Port Authority to help you keep the port safe and running efficiently. You know as well as we do that the Port Authority and the Light Club are the most influential organizations in the New Harbour, and we have an interest in seeing it prosper. We know you are doing what you can but there is a lot we can bring to the table.”

To the Waxen Archive
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eltest Kha responds to the voice that he hears.
    “You have come to the right city if you seek knowledge; ageless minds from all corners of this world and beyond reside here. Is there something specific that you seek?”
    My last breath... ...is also my mintiest...

Avatar credit goes to a strictly platonic friend.

Former Avatar credit goes to Howl.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

The Lovelace Foundation

Spoiler: The Pipes
    Show
    Eva accepts the invitation graciously. "Of course, we are honored to be specifically requested to attend. As new members of the supernatural community, though, we will likely do the same thing we're doing today." She pats the top of the portable radio set she carries with her. I will attend in person, and allow the others to participate remotely, as a precaution."
    "'It would be excellent to get to know the others in the community in a less formal setting,'" says a tinny voice from the radio. "'Hopefully you understand the need for caution.'"

Spoiler: The Archivist
    Show
    Eva nods politely. "Our recent research has mostly been an ablation study of modern magical practice and the implementation of what we've been calling 'computational thaumaturgy.' We have found, in short, that the rituals detailed in what documents we've been able to procure include procedures or components that are unnecessary or even detrimental to the outcome." She pauses. "Indeed many 'spells' can be executed far more reliably by simple mechanical devices than by humans."

"We are curious if this aligns with your observations, and to see if our results are reproducible. If you'd like I can outline a simple experiment that we have been calling 'the empty spell,' the only effect of which is to notify the caster that the spell has successfully been cast."
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

The Archivist of Novska

Election

Becker took a moment to consider the Sun’s words “The island? Do you mean Yigusa, as our extrasolar Prince says? Or, well, aiming for Eurasia seems a bit too ambitious, in present times.”

“As to the mist, the Archivist is entirely in agreement that it is a mystery we should unravel before any danger has a chance to spread or retrench itself. As a seeker of knowledge in all its forms, she would be happy to contribute some share of resources towards an expedition to do just that. And would welcome the participation of any who consider themselves invested in the wellfare of the city.”

PC

Show

Lukas greeted the woman with a crisp, rather overly formal, salute as he listened to her words. For all that a scar ran straight through its deadened flesh, he seemed to be peering at her, and the club itself, through it with poorly disguised interest.

After a moments consideration, he replied “Of course you have no cause for concern on that front, our interests in the harbour of a strictly civilian nature, pertaining to the occasional import of esoteric, or perhaps a survey on its depths for wreckage at some future point. The latter strictly with your permission, of course.”

His manner of speaking is rather peculiarly composed, as if reading off a half-memorized script held in front of him, only occasionally remember to add affect or emotion.

“As to mutual growth, it truthfully is dependent on the shape of your ambitions. The Archivist has no visions of imperium, but does possess eyes enough to see the city is a powder keg in a world of sparks. The hinterlands, particularly, are rather full of terrors, but even within our walls your patron stands out as one of the more Reasonable and less Revelatory, so to speak, of the Princes. At this present moment my benefactor has no specific ambitions, beyond reaching out to fundamentally aligned lesser princes. But she has hopes of partnership and mutual support with your patron, if the idea appeals. Failing that, a modus vivendi would suffice, if disappoint.”

Spoiler: Lovelace Foundation
    Show

Becker leaned forward, eye gleaming as he took in the explanation.

“I’m honestly more of a theorist then a theurge at this age, but that does make a great deal of sense. By our current models, most of what gets called ‘magic’ is merely the utilization of various hypergeomtric principles and or exploiting edge cases in the intersections of various higher dimensions or frequencies. It’s not surprising that a sufficiently advanced device can carry out the procedures more efficiently, and dispense with the superstition and psychological crutches so many simple cultures burden them with.

Now, trade secrets and all, no need to do anything drastic beyond saying no if you have to. But would it be possible for me to see this device? In action, preferably. But even examining its structure might help discredit or validate a few different models on intentionallity and subjectivity and anthromorphic spiritualism. I’d love to here this experiment of yours as well, of course.”

Spoiler: The Pipe
    Show

An event for the ages, if the guest list is an indication, I would be failing if I didn’t request an invitation. Addressed to a Sophia, last name Diderot if it’s absolutely nescesary.

NPC

Spoiler: Waxen Archive
    Show

Giving the massive head of bees an amused nod, she replied “And already more polite than most humans, even. You really do have immense potential.”

Taking another long drink and wiping her mouth on her sleeve, she continued “Now, circumstances depend on what you need-if space or security becomes issues, I can provide somewhere entirely safe to regroup and work in. For the moment-” she made a grand gesture around the park “any particular agriculture you’d like our local larger species to be conducting here? I can spare you the effort of guiding.

But as to the important thing-your work. Our work, ideally. My purpose is to create a complete History of this particular clump of huts and all the interesting things that call it home. As the option presents itself, I’d rather like to have it recorded on your wax as well as my paper, and to credit you as co-authors.”

Spoiler: Midnight Sun
    Show

The Archivist smirked “My mortal proxies have a fair amount of owed favours and blackmail available, I’m sure some of them are attached to construction and shipping firms. I can extend that, and just carefully look away from the affairs of the bird bringing me reports on others’.

As to target-well, I will need to know a bit more about your expertise. Strictly social infiltration, or would you be able to investigate a more esoteric concern? This strange mist, to be specific."

Currently awaiting responses from: [PC] The Cloaked Leviathan, The Old Flesh, The Dollmaker [NPC] The Lazy Caravan
    Currently composing responses to: [NPC] The Novska Historical Society

21. - Top - End - #21

The Election
    As more princes chime in to demand records, Baaliaton sighs.
    "Very well. I will just advise my clerks to make a public copy and deposit in the temple. These go back centuries of course, so expect the process to take a few weeks."

Kasdeveris
    The Blue Militia
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We can always use resources of any kind, frankly. We live in tents, off international aid and have for years now. Anything is welcome.
    That's short term.
    Long term, we need citizenship and jobs. It's as simple as that.

Charnelcreep
    Spoiler
    Show
    The ghoul grins, an unsettling sight on a face that seems stuck together from three different skulls. He bares fangs, long and cured on the left side, broad and triangular like knives on the other. His voice is a lisping rasp, as he speaks, never taking his fingers off the trench-sweeper at his side, though he lazily touches a skeletal hand to what might be an old officer's cap of indeterminate nationality.

"Good for me, or good for you?" He holds up a femur. Big for a human, maybe a cow.
    "You wouldn't care about this, but it is a feast. I did find some things that might be interesting. Did you know the city police forgot to shredder an entire stack of files before dumping them last week? I do. I've seen a few things in behind the old factories, too, but then, nothing one wouldn't expect. Or perhaps you are interested where the gangs used to dump their bodies?"

The Novska Police
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you, the offer is very much appreciated. You must of course have many contacts that would not speak to us.

Steiner is wanted for questioning regarding a possible triple homicide and arson. A pub burned down with three people inside and he was seen nearby. As you might imagine, him conveniently vanishing and no one seeing him for a week does not cast him in the best light.

Yours sincerely,
    Comissioner Franjo

The Growlers
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as the burly, hard-drinking, blue-collar types of the Growler-associated bars are concerned, Steiner might hae a bit of a cocaine problem, but is essentially a decent chap and those pig bastards are just using him as an excuse to bust some heads over an innocent bar fight.

The Dollmaker
    The Bone Miller
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you for your words, they are much appreciated. It is good to know that I have continuing support. Currently, business is going very well and there are no complaints or urgent needs. If however, on the other hand, you have any investment suggestions, I am eager to hear them.

The Bone Miller

Damjanac Heavy Industries
    Spoiler
    Show

Please be assured that we do not in any way fear socialists, we have our workers well in hand and are taking steps to improve the security situation. Why, just last week, we installed railings around the waste compactor and we have begun to slow down the conveyor belts when workers are required to crawl inside them.

The Cloaked Leviathan
    The Tidesingers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Three witches have followed the Leviathan's call and have clad themselves in shapes appropriate for the occasion. They appear as eels, twenty feet long, large-jawed, black, leathery creatures, but with human hands and eyes the size of tennis balls.
    They approach respectfully, eyes cast aside, making no quick movements.
    "You called, oh master of the hadean depths, serpentine queen of the waveless darkness?"

Godseeker
    Spoiler
    Show

A warm smile splits the Godseeker's white-bearded face, as he pushes open a door into a candle-light, cozy little sitting room, with armchairs around small tea table. Large oil paintings adorn the walls, showing classicist scenes from Greek and Roman mythology, while small statuettes on a sideboard depict mesoamerican, Asian, Egyptan divinities.
    "Of course. Please, have a seat. I was wondering when you would come. Can I offer you anything? Tea, perhaps? I must admit that I do not know if you still drink."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Ophois

People's Voice Committee
    Spoiler
    Show

The guests are well-received and offered a drink by a man calling himself Alfred Wiszne.

"Cooperation is of course important for those of us with more... fringe ideologies. Did you have something specific in mind?"

Club Danau
    Spoiler
    Show

Salutations,

Thank you for your invitation. I would be most delighted to attend to your little soirée.

Ophois

The Bokun Family
    Spoiler
    Show

A group of toughs led by a somewhat boisterous man by the name of Alfred Wiszne arrive at the Bokun establishment one evening, having had the courtesy to send a runner a few hours beforehand to give warning.

"Hey there! We thought we'd stop by to chat, like you mentioned."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

23. - Top - End - #23

Archivist
    The Caravan
    Spoiler
    Show
    A few rather taciturn men lead the professor to the back of the caravan, bringing after a short and terse conversation between them to a tent, where a smiling young woman shakes his hand.
    "Evening, Professor. I am Jeta. You had a question about the recent omen?"

The Election
    As Solis Aeterni speaks, Baaliaton just smiles condescendingly, then replies.
    "Some royalty blazes like fire. Bright for a while, and then nothing left but hot air. Others take the long view.
    What benefit do we have, taking the mortals in hand directly, why make the effort? We control their leaders, their leaders control the mortals. Simple, and they never know that they are chained. A light hand serves a master often very well."

Solis Aeterni
    The Bone Miller
    Spoiler
    Show
    We do what we can. Modern industry has so many fascinating applications.

It just so happens that business has been going so well lately that we are open to investment ideas. What did you have in mind, specifically?

The Group of Five
    Spoiler
    Show

We would be honoured! I had no idea that such an illustrious group had their seat in this town, though the Professor tells me that I really should have known.

When csan we make your acquaintance?

Yours,
    Emily Vanders

The International Hunting Society
    Spoiler
    Show

Welcome the Sun!

We could make a tasteless comment here that fairy tales tell us that we should never eat the food offered by monsters, but then, guest rights are generally well respected, so we'll gladly come and enjoy your hospitality.

Your Servant,
    Freiherr Wilhelm Friedrich zu Rothorn-Steibenberg, Huntmaster

(Answered to Post 18)

24. - Top - End - #24

Eltest Kha
    The Silver Falcon
    Spoiler
    Show
    After a short security check done by two very attentive young soldiersr, the visitor is shown into the mansion itself. From somewhere further back into the estate, gunfire and shouting can be heard, muffled by the trees.

The captain's office is rather spartan, featuring a desk, two chairs, a filing cabinet, a map of the balkans on one wall and a larger one of the local coastline and mountains on the other and behind the desk a hanging flag with the heavily stylized, almost abstract diving falcon that is the group's emblem. On the desk lie blueprints of some kind of machine, a heavy vehicle, perhaps.

"Capital idea. We are always looking for experienced soldiers. And if any of your veterans would be interested in organizing some lectures or exercises, we'd be grateful for any knowledge they can share, too. Why don't you send some of your fellows over for a meal sometime?"

Farkas Mining Conglomerate
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless you make a habit of climbing over tall fences or down exploratory shafts, no, there would be little danger of trespassing. If we find anything promising, we get it fenced off. So, do not worry and enjoy your hike. THe local area has many wonderful natural features for tourists.

As for any serendipitious finds you might make, feel free to contact our chief geologist, Dr. Salvatore.

Feel free to direct more inquiries my way at any point you might like.

Vihali Haraszti, Director of Public Relations

Vascavin Medoza
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mostly politics. Seems the senate rules are that unless one has been here a century or so, one needs a sponsor in the senate and a two-thirds majority vote to be accepted in.

As for the following, that too is proving a bit more difficult than I'd like, but I'm working on it.

The City Militia
    Spoiler
    Show

From the Desk of the General:

I am sure we can arrange a meeting and a tour, though of course, some areas will have to remain off limits. Anything we can do to help our veterans. We will send you more information on convenient times.

THe Ambassadors
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC:
    Perhaps I should have made this clearer in the description, but the Ambassadors were intended to be ambassadors from the monstrous communities of the three large local empires, the Austro-HUngarian (Laurin), the Russian (the Duke) and the Ottoman (The Shahmaran).

The Scion of Bast
    Spoiler
    Show

Recompense will be made.

A going theory was that they required mortal belief and withered away without it. That is close to the truth, but not entirely so.

They do what the Royal Kind still does today: they fed on mortals and traded their power in return. And many of the oldest ones, they liked civilization, when it became a thing. They ritualized everything, bound themselves to mortal culture. Regular meals, if you will.

And as the cultures and the rituals changed and gods were syncretized and civilization conquered, they failed to adapt. Their power waned and they became weak.

And then... war. Predators, like the Leviathan, or those just wishing to remove a rival, topple their temples. Or mortals, who got too wily at their own magics and bound or drained what little might was left in them, to rise to Royalty themselves. Some, simply torpor. Many, we simply don't know.

The Growlers
    Spoiler
    Show

Subtlety? They hunt us like dogs and blame us for every crime in the city. Subtlety is for fancy politicians. We won't let them push us around forever.

(Halfway through post 18, a bit long that one.)

25. - Top - End - #25

Spoiler: The Archivist
    Show
    "Oh, of course! If you'd like to pay a visit to our facilities in Venetian Square you're more than welcome. It seems your studies on the topic have been a tad more... holistic than ours, and a different perspective could prove invaluable."
    Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

26. - Top - End - #26

Eltest Kha
    City Administration
    Spoiler
    Show

The letter arrives neatly typewritten on elegant paper, printed with a city crest letterhead.

"Dear Mr. Khast

Yes, I am aware of the Light club and their influence, and I think also reasonably well-aware of how far that influence extends, if you can follow my meaning there.

So yes, I do think we should talk. Please find attached some invitations you may wish to follow, I will be at your disposal.

Yours sincerely,
    Mayor Vedran Marković"

The Blue Militia
    Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting that you speak of a recent string of murders. As far as we are aware, the murders have been pretty much constant since forever. But we will look into it.

Midnight Sun
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of my needs can indeed be satisfied on the open market, even if I need to go through some intermediaries and pay for discretion. Mortal currency will suffice.

The Port Authority
    Spoiler
    Show

Such as?

Now, don't mistake me, we are not ungrateful for the offer, or mistake you for meddling amateurs of the kind that sometimes think they can play police, but really, we have the situation reasonably well in hand and don't think we need much help."

The Waxen Archive
    Spoiler
    Show

At first, there is a crackling and howling, as if of radio static on a dead channel. Then, several voices begin to speak at once. Without an extraordinary mind and sensory apparatus, they would be barely intelligible.

++++Detected: high information density, estimated class nine entity. Threat assessment: Prince Class.++++

++++Optimization problem. Acquired knowledge vs. maximum foraging distance, limited nutritional density (power). Current solution maximization of knowledge density re:obscure subjects.++++

++++We interrupt the afternoon dance music broadcast for an important weather update++++

++++Goal: acquire TOTALITY. Subset: all information. Difficulty: long-term storage. Difficulty: obseration. Difficulty: Knowledge lost in history +/- noise, information density++++

++++Hi! We think we might like you. Will you be our friend?++++

++++Reciprocity. Wish for off-world information. What is desired in trade?++++

27. - Top - End - #27

The Archivist
    Waxen Archive
    Spoiler
    Show
    ++++Agriculture: nonspecific. Input protein, oil, sugar, water, output, carbon dioxide, heat. Current problem: cooling, not nutrient input++++

++++Clump of huts: classification, sarcasm. Response: wry laughter.++++

++++As for the weather, temperatures continue to remain around zero all through the week, bring a coat. An now, Schubert's Concerto in c minor.++++

++++Replication: suspicion of inefficiency. Prudence implied re: disaster recovery. Agreement.++++

++++Credit/co-authorship implies audience. Who?++++

Midnight Sun
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Social infiltration preferred. Mountains don't really agree with me, though I could do underwater. And I'm a spy, not a researcher, you must understand. If you know someone who has already researched what you need to know, by all means, I can steal a copy for you. Otherwise, difficult."

Ophois
    The Bokun Family
    Spoiler
    Show

The Bokun establishment is a mid-quality, reasonably clean pub called "The Peasant's Crown". Their toughs, likewise, make an effort to be somewhat respectable and discrete: a dozen middle-aged and young mean in mostly clean shirts, sitting and standing around the periphery of the pub, quietly playing cards and darts. Weapons are not in evidence.

A jovial man in his fifties, tanned and with muscle slowly going to fat on his arms, stands up to great the newcomers. There are criss-crossing boxer's scars around both of his eyes, and his nose has been badly broken at least once in his life, but his dark suit is reasonably well made.
    He smiles broadly. "Ah, welcome. Make yourself at home, gentlemen. I am Ivan Bokun." He gestures at a younger, taller, leaner version of himself next to him. This is my son, Josip. What can we offer you to drink?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Kas

PCs

Spoiler: The Lovelace Foundation
    Show
    Michael thanks the receptionist, putting the Lanyard on without too much issue.

He nods when the Dr arrives, following her to the elevator "is my pleasure Dr Vlohva, I presume you know who I am?"

He matched her narrowed eyes with unblinking scrutiny of his own, answering her question in just as casual a manner "Partly, yes. But I'm rather curious to speak with the... thinking engine, not to weight it on its envoy but I'd rather meet my fellow princes as directly as possible."

Spoiler: The lost
    Show
    "Well, Majoral elections at least are quite far off, but supporting the same candidate can help us see off the man who is keeping change off Novska. in the meantime we'd just try to cause as little problem for the other as we can, anything less discreet might press the other parties into an union of their own"

Milos sips his drink and smiles "of course, if you have anything in mind..."

Spoiler: The Pipe
    Show
    Please do.

NPCs

Spoiler: The blue Militia
    Show
    "If only it was so easily done, too many and the city oppose that long term. Do know we are working for it all. ¡lifes worth living!"

Spoiler: Charnelcreep
    Show
    Milos stares indifferent at the creature, like I haven't eaten good steak, he keeps from rolling his eyes though. The thing had knowledge, and he couldn't work blindly...

"interesting for you, maybe. Still, tell me the whole bits and I'll treat you to a real feast" teeths turn into fangs for a grin, they are all predators here.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    so the offer here would be: A) Compromising to use hunger this turn to feed and B) Allowing Charnelcreep to follow Kasdeveris around while he does so, feeding on the scraps (losing 1 or 2 hunger for Kasdeveris)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

29. - Top - End - #29

The Lovelace Foundation

Spoiler: Kas
    Show
    "Oh, I," Petra stutters, eyes widening. "I hadn't realized! I'm very sorry, we're all new to this."

The elevator reaches the fifth floor and they depart into a room lined with orderly banks of electronics, massive racks of blinking lights, and inscrutable tangles of cables. The persistent hum which could be heard faintly from the lobby reaches a crescendo as they exit into the lab. Several other members of the foundation argue over a pair of schematics in a spew of indecipherable technical jargon, but quiet when they see the visitor. She nods to them and they hurry to man a pair of terminals placed near the back of the room. The hum only grows louder.

"'Welcome, Kasdeveris,'" says a tinny, disjointed voice from speakers placed on a terminal nearby. Lights in the walls flicker rapidly with a faint crackling sound as the Engine speaks. "'It's good that you come here to talk. You present a dilemma: You could destroy the Foundation in an instant, such is your power. It is necessary for survival that what can be gained through cooperation is greater than from destruction, when there is so much to be lost. The equilibrium in this city has become unstable, and prone to fall in a dangerous direction without intervention.'" The Engine pauses as a high whine cuts through from an adjacent room. '"How can the Foundation be of service?'"

Total War factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Image to come

Buy my music here

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

The Election
    Princess Szeretet remained silent throughout the formalities of Baaliaton and then the unexpected challenge from Solis Aeterni. Her eight eyes took in everything, but frankly she wasn't paying much attention. She wasn't going to be taxed, the taxes weren't going to help her, and she had no interest in the position itself. She was only here in case one of those things changed.

In the meantime she was spinning new threads and her legs clicked together as she wove some nice human clothing. Gifts for some guests she would hopefully be having soon.

Spoiler: To ELTEST KHA
    Show
    A woven letter is expertly parachuted into the Light Club for the Eltest Kha's perusal.

"Eltest Kha, It brings my heart joy that you have reached out to me. Let us meet to discuss such a mutually beneficial arrangement. I invite you to my home in Castle Novask. Just le me know a convenient time.

Best Wishes,
    Princess Szeretet

Spoiler: To the Group of Five
    Show
    Letters written in thin spidery cursive are delivered to each of the group of five by couriers.

"Dear Heroes,

I have come to understand that your efforts have prevented the rise of some manner of death cult. Which sounds like quite the tale. And that also your impromptu group has decided to establish your headquarters in Novask Castle.

As it it happens I also live in Novask Castle, and as such I am inviting you all to a small get together. I feel there are things you should be informed of, especially if we are to being living in close proximity.

Best Wishes,
    Princess Szeretet

Spoiler: To Vjecno
    Show
    Skillful spiders swiftly weave a web where Vjecno will find it. It appears to be a wispy thing, but it is inexplicably resistant to breakage. Which is rather important for the words its threads outline.

Dear Vjecno,

I've just moved into this charming little city and I've learned that you are my nearest neighbor. I invite you to meet so that we may chat and get to know each other.

Best Wishes,
    Princess Szeretet

Spoiler: To the Waxen Archive
    Show
    With some trepidation a weaver is directed to deliver a letter written on fine parchment to the hives of the archive.

"Dear Bees,

I apologize for the vague title. My own hive mind has long been subsumed into myself. And it was never very strong. Spiders aren't one for hives you know. So I don't recall the formalties for dealing with an entity such as yourself.

That said there are certain things I wish to know. And things I wish to not be known. In return I can provide historical information as well as my advice on low density heat dissipation methods. Wax is all well and good for structures, but unless you're alloying it properly you won't be getting best results.

Best Wishes,
    Princess Szeretet