The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Borgrim doesn't necessarily need to save. I didn't detail it to save time and effort (and also to avoid nitpicking and because it felt somewhat obvious), but most of the grease's zone should be in front of Gloy, i.e. the direction she tried fleeing towards.

If Borgrim arrives behind her (which seems logical, since Gloy was running away from the party) then he might reach hand-to-hand distance, while standing just outside the grease thing.
    This is more or less how I thought Rosa would place the Grease, so Borgrim will be able to attack without stepping into it.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade
    DM, I think you do a fine job characterizing Gloy. That last IC post elicited a chuckle.
    I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I've been having fun with it so far .
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-11-12 at 03:49 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Con save vs thunder: (1d20+5)[13]
    Wis save vs hideousness: (1d20)[18] - I'm very sad to discover 5e doesn't have a bonus to saves on Rage.

Rats ... can I swap these?! =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-11-13 at 12:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

We need to take her down now.
    Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    Ben: hit - (1d20+1)[5], hitExtra - (1d20+1)[5], DMG - (1d6+1)[6] with Quarterstaff
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Why couldn't it be Int and Dex saves!

Con save vs Thunder - (1d20+2)[7]
    Wis save vs being ugly as f*ck - (1d20+1)[2]

EDIT: I'm laughing...
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-11-13 at 07:02 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Con save vs thunder: [roll0]
    Wis save vs hideousness: [roll1] - I'm very sad to discover 5e doesn't have a bonus to saves on Rage.

Rats ... can I swap these?! =)
    It's not a bonus to saves, but at level 6 the Frenzy Barbarian becomes immune to charms and fear while raging, and the Zealot Barbarian (at level 6 too) can re-roll a failed save while raging. Borgrim succeeded on both his saves, so swapping wouldn't do anything. Am I missing something? EDIT: Oh, did you mean the bonuses? In that case, no .

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    We need to take her down now.
    Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    Ben: [roll0], [roll1], [roll2] with Quarterstaff
    Benedict's Attack bonus should be +3 with his staff, not +1. (+1 from Strength and +2 from Proficiency.) Also, I noticed on his sheet that his Spell Save DC is listed as 16, but it should be 14 (8 + Proficiency {+2} + Charisma modifier {+4}).

Why couldn't it be Int and Dex saves!

[roll0]
    [roll1]

EDIT: I'm laughing...
    Oof ! EDIT: Before the start of her next turn, Rosa can make another save against the fear effect, but with disadvantage since Gloy is within line of sight.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-11-13 at 12:02 PM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

DC 11 save at +1 with disadvantage? Somewhat improbable, but not inconceivable.

Wis save - (1d20+1)[17], Wis save - (1d20+1)[17]

EDIT: Not only is that improbable, it's also somewhat weird. Do I get a bonus for rolling a pair?
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-11-13 at 02:50 PM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

7. - Top - End - #277

It is my reckoning that Borgrims attack rolls are broken down thusly:

Str +4, Proficiency +2, Rage +2. Plus anything the axe might give, although that might only be relevant after attuning. I have no idea how that works.

But it is incumbent upon me to point out that I don't just randomly assign unwarranted bonuses to myself. I'm fairly sure I'm right here. Or?

8. - Top - End - #278

It is my reckoning that Borgrims attack rolls are broken down thusly:

Str +4, Proficiency +2, Rage +2. Plus anything the axe might give, although that might only be relevant after attuning. I have no idea how that works.

But it is incumbent upon me to point out that I don't just randomly assign unwarranted bonuses to myself. I'm fairly sure I'm right here. Or?
    In 5th edition, Rage only gives a bonus to damage, not attack rolls. Unlike 3.5 where it gives a general strength bonus. Don't worry, I didn't think you were getting the bonus from nowhere.

Quoting the PHB, page 48, under the Rage heading:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian...
    Link to the 5e SRD Barbarian Here.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-11-13 at 06:18 PM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

In case we need a roll for Enfys to flee: Persuasion - (1d20+2)[22].

EDIT: And now I roll a 20 Why does the RNG hate me?! WHY!
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-11-14 at 04:59 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Rage only gives a bonus to damage
    What? Absurd. What madness is this. Rage logically should give the barbarian a bonus to climb and jump, attack and damage, will saves and last but not least, social skills (as in, Intimidate - which really should be str based).

Um, noted, though - thanks =)

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa wants to catch up with Gloy, circumvent her and cut-off her way of egress. Does she need any kind of roll to to do that? Moreover, does she need to Dash, or is she within distance?

12. - Top - End - #282

Rosa wants to catch up with Gloy, circumvent her and cut-off her way of egress. Does she need any kind of roll to to do that? Moreover, does she need to Dash, or is she within distance?
    Depending on where Borgrim moves, Rosa will need to make a DC 10 Acrobatics check to avoid slipping into the sewer channel as she squeezes past him. Her 30 feet of movement will be just enough to get her to the far side of Gloy, without having to dash.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll suppose he'll move in the most annoying manner, not because he's generally annoying (even if he is) but to save some time.

Acrobatics - (1d20+6)[20]

14. - Top - End - #284

I'll suppose he'll move in the most annoying manner, not because he's generally annoying (even if he is) but to save some time.

[roll0]
    That's a pretty safe assumption .

Also to add to my last IC post, since Gloy is technically incapacitated, any grapple attempt against her would succeed automatically. And for the purposes of continuing Rage, I'd say that a grapple attempt counts as an attack.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285

That's a pretty safe assumption .

Also to add to my last IC post, since Gloy is technically incapacitated, any grapple attempt against her would succeed automatically. And for the purposes of continuing Rage, I'd say that a grapple attempt counts as an attack.
    Ah yes - but Borgrim is nothing if not serious: Unconditional surrender and a trade of Enfys' life (freedom, really) for Gloy's is the only way he'll stop.

Or you know ..... if someone was to ask him to. Maybe =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-11-14 at 01:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

I had the feeling I had missed a step or something. Thanks for moving things along. Oh, and thanks for checking the sheets. For such a simple system, we sure did quite a number of mistakes...

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

I had the feeling I had missed a step or something. Thanks for moving things along. Oh, and thanks for checking the sheets. For such a simple system, we sure did quite a number of mistakes...
    It's mostly because It's too simple and we are too used to the more complex one.

In other news, I'm going to post IC pretty soon.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Baffled, Borgrim watches Rosa immitate his 'off the walls' attack, then totally botch it and just stabbing normally at the hag. Helpful as always, he demonstates again.

No, Rosa - like this!
    I laughed out loud behind my computer screen after reading this.

19. - Top - End - #289

Borgrim's and Rosa'a attacks will be exactly enough to bring Gloy to 0 hit points, but since Benedict technically acts before Rosa (Initiative 16 vs 15), I'll wait to see what he does before posting in the IC.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Borgrim's and Rosa'a attacks will be exactly enough to bring Gloy to 0 hit points, but since Benedict technically acts before Rosa (Initiative 16 vs 15), I'll wait to see what he does before posting in the IC.
    No it makes sense for Rosa to go first. She seems more decisive, and it would ruin the scene for Ben to insert his action there.
    Ben will only attack again if the hag does not drop.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-11-15 at 11:28 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #291

No it makes sense for Rosa to go first. She seems more decisive, and it would ruin the scene for Ben to insert his action there.
    Ben will only attack again if the hag does not drop.
    Understood. I'll have a post up sometime later today.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292

I laughed out loud behind my computer screen after reading this.
    I imagine Rosa's thought will be ... something like: That insufferable oaf things I'm imitating him? Please, all dark and vengeful Gods, just strike me down now. Or .. on balance .. strike down Borgrim!

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Chaotic Good: Saving peuple from Tyranny whether they want it or not! (Or even actually need it or even if it makes the general picture worse for everybody.)

I imagine Rosa's thought will be ... something like: That insufferable oaf things I'm imitating him? Please, all dark and vengeful Gods, just strike me down now. Or .. on balance .. strike down Borgrim!
    Well, Rosa has a better opinion of Borgrim than that. The voices in her head might react that way.

Rosa might also react vocally that way, but without actually feeling it deep down. She just likes provoking Borgrim and playfully bicker with him.

He actually offered her a brooch and he's smarter than he seems. Rosa thinks he's a pretty chill guy, under this gruffy and unwashed shell.

She's more warry of Faust de la Suerte, but she's also warming up to him. It's also funny to see Rosa has more empathy for the random fleeing hoodlum than sewer nobility. (Probably because Rosa readily identifies with the former rather than the latter).

24. - Top - End - #294

I won't have a post up until Sunday morning.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295

Sorry folks, I'll have a post up in the morning.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry folks, I'll have a post up in the morning.
    Don't worry.

Whatever happens, Borgrim or Rosa will try to derail it. You should just give up and declare that we win the game: Less hassle for you

27. - Top - End - #297

Don't worry.

Whatever happens, Borgrim or Rosa will try to derail it. You should just give up and declare that we win the game: Less hassle for you
    More likely, Borgrim and Rosa will derail it in different directions, while Cιsar will try to keep it on track. Being the sprechstallmeister of the flea cirkus can't be easy =D

28. - Top - End - #298

Sorry, I've been swamped. I'll have a post up tomorrow.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Players: Where too afterwards?

I believe we should go scout the Night Hag's place.

What kind of neighbourhood is that?

If Rosa were to dress up as a *ahem* "lady waiting for her date on a street corner", with some disguising of her more recognizable features, she could use her magical mirror to "check her makeup" every time someone passes by in order to recognize the Hag.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

What if she is successful in her business? I pity prospective customers :D

I would say we can use the crystal ball first. Anything else remaining on our shopping list?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika