The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    I'd say the sun is just now sinking below the horizon. So not complete dark yet, but the light is fading fast, and the moon has not yet risen.

EDIT: There would be enough time to take a quick look one of the attack locations before nightfall proper, or find one of the town guards for a first-hand account.
    Language ambiguities are fun like that: I couldn't figure whether that or was exclusive. I included two rolls in my IC post. Disregard that second roll if that or was indeed exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Hellboy is destined to be the Lord of the Apocalypse, and in his full splendor - his horns aren't saved off.

Spoiler: Hellboy ascendant
    Show

Yeah, well, I was thinking of that:
    Spoiler: Another Hellboy dude
    Show

Anyways, Rosa's horns are way smaller. I can't find an image or drawing for her that satisfies me...
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Language ambiguities are fun like that: I couldn't figure whether that or was exclusive. I included two rolls in my IC post. Disregard that second roll if that or was indeed exclusive.
    That's my fault for not being clearer. I think I had originally intended it to be exclusive, but on further reflection there would be enough time to do both. Rosa's not taking a full tour of the town, and interviewing guard wont' take long either.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

In other news, I have a newer version of the map I posted earlier. I still need to figure out how to effectively write street names.
    Spoiler: Map2
    Show
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-16 at 05:15 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Everything screams Shadow Mastiff to me, the player.

What kind of roll would that be, in 5e, to recognize such a monster? ID - (1d20)[12], Rosa has +3 INT and +5 both Arcana and Religion.

Of course, I could be wrong, and thus, Rosa too. The voices she hears are neither benevolent nor omniscient.

I kept that last post somewhat ambiguous. Please tell me if I'm being too meta with it.

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    In other news, I have a newer version of the map I posted earlier. I still need to figure out how to effectively write street names.
    Spoiler: Map2
    Show
    I finally took a look at the generation software, and it was made by Watabou, the guy who coded Pixel Dungeon. I've been so addicted to that game and its mods for the last few years. I just recently uninstalled it from my devices.

Anyways, regarding your technical issues, are you working from a PNG or an SVG basis? I believe the latter to be a better format for this kind of work. I use Inkscape to handle them. Anyways, if you exported the generated map from that website in PNG (and not SVG) it's then a moot point.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

What kind of roll would that be, in 5e, to recognize such a monster? [roll0], Rosa has +3 INT and +5 both Arcana and Religion.

Of course, I could be wrong, and thus, Rosa too. The voices she hears are neither benevolent nor omniscient.

I kept that last post somewhat ambiguous. Please tell me if I'm being too meta with it.
    I agree with your assessment.

I finally took a look at the generation software, and it was made by Watabou, the guy who coded Pixel Dungeon. I've been so addicted to that game and its mods for the last few years. I just recently uninstalled it from my devices.
    Pixel dungeon? Is it any good? Would you recommend it?
    Anyways, regarding your technical issues, are you working from a PNG or an SVG basis? I believe the latter to be a better format for this kind of work. I use Inkscape to handle them. Anyways, if you exported the generated map from that website in PNG (and not SVG) it's then a moot point.
    My perplexities stem from the positioning for legibility rather than technical issues. I did use the svg and imported it in illustrator. Then I moved things around to match the original layout. However, given the scale, road names are hard to place to my satisfaction.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #66

What kind of roll would that be, in 5e, to recognize such a monster? [roll0], Rosa has +3 INT and +5 both Arcana and Religion.

I've placed all the creature types under one of the four Intelligence (knowledge) skills, like this:

Arcana - constructs, dragons, abberations, elementals

History - humanoids, giants, monstrosities

Nature - beasts, fey, plants, oozes

Religion - fiends, undead, celestials

There's plenty of overlap, though. Think of it as a general rule of thumb. Fey probably fall under Arcana as well Nature, so you'd benefit from either bonus. Similar with elementals and oozes. And a specific dragon might fall under History as well as Arcana. In general I'll just ask (or you can roll pre-emptively) for a non-specific Intelligence check and then I'll add whichever bonus fits behind the screen, so as not to give anything away.

EDIT: In this case, your roll is not enough to give you certainty. You've heard tales of various hound-like monsters with conflicting details. A shadow mastiff is one possibility.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-16 at 10:48 AM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

So... Huuuuuh... what about that above roll's resolution, then ? Ah, you edited your last post while I was typing and previewing mine.

Pixel dungeon? Is it any good? Would you recommend it?
    Aarrrrrghghghgldfhgfdsgjfbgfdjlbgfjknj Addiction, man... are you going to ask an addict if smocking crack is any good?!

Well yes, it's a light rogue-like dungeon crawler, and is quite difficult. Good players win less than 10 percent of their runs. Most of the time, you die in a stupidly random yet entertaining way in the first few levels. The game has both tactical and resource management depth. And it's free. And it runs on your phone. And you look like a zombie all day long, waiting for the next coffee break to play it again while your co-workers are talking about last night's football game. And then you play in the street. And in the doctor's office. And in the metro. I uninstalled it after forgetting a bag in the train, because early morning+game=distracted as f***.

My perplexities stem from the positioning for legibility rather than technical issues. I did use the svg and imported it in illustrator. Then I moved things around to match the original layout. However, given the scale, road names are hard to place to my satisfaction.
    Then my advice would be to look up how it's done elsewhere, for inspiration.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's navigate the city!
    INT - (1d20+3)[23]
    EDIT: I may well know what the smart move is. It's certainly not the _fun_ move, is it?
    (Also, I'm waiting for that luck to turn and start rolling all 1s and die on the first fight of that game...)
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-16 at 04:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

So, just to make sure, we're going with the old map, correct?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #70

I've added your updated map to the OP. I'm using both for the moment (using some of the street names from the old that aren't shown on the new version), if that makes sense. For the overall city layout, I'll use the new one. If fine detail becomes important, then I'll use the new one as well.

From an in-universe perspective, I kinda like the idea that there isn't a singular, accurate map of Port Blacksand.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-16 at 07:34 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

I need precise dimensions: How high are the windows, how wide is the street. Can Borgrim connect door-to-window, or will he have to climb or jump? Do the doors look particularly robust? Furthermore .. would these houses be the half-rotten kind of slum that has moits plaster inner walls?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Furthermore .. would these houses be the half-rotten kind of slum that has moits plaster inner walls?
    I like where you're going with this.

On the downside: going through the wall may well bring the whole place down.
    On the upside: bringing the whole place down will take care of those archers most definitively.

EDIT:

Also, I intended to take a number of precautions before taking the riskier route. I didn't include them right away in my previous IC post, as I was waiting for the other PC's opinion about the route. I intended to make a second post including the precautions. But I'm still good with the direction things took. Actually walking into an ambush works maybe better with Rosa's idea of taking the measure of her companions the hard way.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-17 at 03:08 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73

I like where you're going with this.

On the downside: going through the wall may well bring the whole place down.
    On the upside: bringing the whole place down will take care of those archers most definitively.
    Well - it's at least marginally reasonable to expect damp plaster walls to not be load bearing =D

I just love the mental image I have of Borgrim crashing through the walls in an explosion of splinters and chunks of plaster.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Load-bearing walls: in a well architectured and well maintained neighbourhood certainly. That's not the part of town we're in : D
    And yes, I enjoy that mental image or yours too.

Oh and GM, since Rosa can't be surprised, I didn't think it necessary to roll for Perception.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

I've added your updated map to the OP. I'm using both for the moment (using some of the street names from the old that aren't shown on the new version), if that makes sense. For the overall city layout, I'll use the new one. If fine detail becomes important, then I'll use the new one as well.

From an in-universe perspective, I kinda like the idea that there isn't a singular, accurate map of Port Blacksand.
    I added a few more street names, improved legibility and entered the map. If you can let me know which streets are missing, I will add them in. Unless of course you'd rather not.
    Spoiler: Map v3
    Show

I need precise dimensions: How high are the windows, how wide is the street. Can Borgrim connect door-to-window, or will he have to climb or jump? Do the doors look particularly robust? Furthermore .. would these houses be the half-rotten kind of slum that has moits plaster inner walls?

Load-bearing walls: in a well architectured and well maintained neighbourhood certainly. That's not the part of town we're in : D

Oh and GM, since Rosa can't be surprised, I didn't think it necessary to roll for Perception.
    No surprises? That's handy.

Posting shortly.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

No surprises? That's handy.
    Thanks to that feat, which also gives a huge bonus to initiative and even a third solid defensive effect.

17. - Top - End - #77

Added the updated map to the OP. I think it should work well as it is now.

The windows are roughly 20 feet above the street. Climbing up the outside is possible but not easy; the second stories of the buildings overhang ~ 2 feet, like this. Jumping up to grab the overhang would be easy for you, but you'd still have to pull yourself up to the base of the second-story window. The doors look reasonably sturdy. The walls look questionable, with peeling plaster, but they are not load-bearing. Large oak beams support the structure.

Also, I intended to take a number of precautions before taking the riskier route. I didn't include them right away in my previous IC post, as I was waiting for the other PC's opinion about the route. I intended to make a second post including the precautions. But I'm still good with the direction things took. Actually walking into an ambush works maybe better with Rosa's idea of taking the measure of her companions the hard way.
    Ah, sorry, I thought things had more or less been agreed upon. If there's any preparation you'd like to have done that fits, feel free to add it.

You can't be surprised, but that doesn't mean you automatically spot threats. In this case it doesn't matter as the would-be ambushers rolled baldy on their stealth checks, so your passive perception easily beat them.

EDIT: Oh, the street is 20 feet across.

EDIT 2: I've got a dice rolling thread up here. In case you forget/mess up rolls. I'll start spoilering my rolls.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-17 at 10:10 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, sorry, I thought things had more or less been agreed upon. If there's any preparation you'd like to have done that fits, feel free to add it.
    No big deal, misunderstandings happen.
    The only thing that I can think of that wouldn't break the game's flow is that Mao, Rosa's cat familiar, has been following us from rooftops.
    Let's say that one a 1, Mao is on the same side of the street as the archers. On a 2, on the side opposite them. Would that work? Where's the kitty? - (1d2)[2]

You can't be surprised, but that doesn't mean you automatically spot threats. In this case it doesn't matter as the would-be ambushers rolled baldy on their stealth checks, so your passive perception easily beat them.
    We are in entire agreement. What I meant is that since Rosa always acts in the 1st round of combat, has a very high Initiative modifier and a decent stealth modifier, is that she can afford to be careless and fall into ambushes.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-17 at 11:10 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

No big deal, misunderstandings happen.
    The only thing that I can think of that wouldn't break the game's flow is that Mao, Rosa's cat familiar, has been following us from rooftops.
    Let's say that one a 1, Mao is on the same side of the street as the archers. On a 2, on the side opposite them. Would that work? [roll0]
    Just to clarify, there are archers on both sides; I may not have made that clear enough (I'll reread my posts). From her position under the left (west) overhang, she can see two in the uppers windows on the right (east) side, a little ahead of you. Before you moved, you saw at least one on the left (west side).

You can place Mao wherever you like, that's fine.

We are in entire agreement. What I meant is that since Rosa always acts in the 1st round of combat, has a very high Initiative modifier and a decent stealth modifier, is that she can afford to be careless and fall into ambushes.
    Oh, right, gotcha .

EDIT: From the IC thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade
    So, there are bowmen above Rosa, i.e. above that hoverhang under which she is standing, and also bowmen accross the street? I'm a bit confused.

Three upstairs and two accross the street? At least 5, then?
    You can see two across the street, and you saw at least two above you, for a total of 4 that you know of. Both sets of archers are ~ten feet further down the street from your position.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-17 at 12:06 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

According to the rules as I read them, it should be easy for Borgrim to leap up and grab onto any protrusion at floor level below the window. Barely requires a roll (or at least, by my reckoning it's a 5+ or so). Then, an Athletics roll might be needed for Borgrim to quickly boost himself up and in the window. Now, depending on how much move is spent on this, Borgrim would really like to make an attack when he gets there - a grapple to grab an archer, and simply pull him out the window.

In terms of action economy, that might be stretching it? But ... I still feel that ... it's a move action plus an attack action.

I leave it in Wog's capable hands to sort out the details. Here be the rolls - I'll post IC in moments.

Athletics, jump up: (1d20+6)[25]
    Athletics, climb: (1d20+6)[7] - the problem child, right there. If Borgrim doesn't make it all the way up, it's all in vain =( at least he's not wearing armor. Or anything else, really =)

Attack: (1d20+6)[22]
    Opposed strength: (1d20+6)[12]

It's all strength based, so ... I guess the rolls are all the same. No way 4 different rolls all just happen to be nice and high. Well, we'll see. Edit: And there it is.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-05-17 at 03:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

According to the rules as I read them, it should be easy for Borgrim to leap up and grab onto any protrusion at floor level below the window. Barely requires a roll (or at least, by my reckoning it's a 5+ or so). Then, an Athletics roll might be needed for Borgrim to quickly boost himself up and in the window. Now, depending on how much move is spent on this, Borgrim would really like to make an attack when he gets there - a grapple to grab an archer, and simply pull him out the window.

In terms of action economy, that might be stretching it? But ... I still feel that ... it's a move action plus an attack action.

I leave it in Wog's capable hands to sort out the details. Here be the rolls - I'll post IC in moments.
    The way I see it, if it wasn't raining you'd have enough movement to make it up and through the window. However since it's slippery and your athletics check was just a bit shy of the mark, you'll only be able to get up to the window sill. EDIT: I DIDN'T See your first athletics roll (didn't need one for the jump, just the climb), you can climb all the way through the window. You can shove/grapple/attack however you see fit.

EDIT 2:Hmm, thinking about it you can't end your movement in the same space as another creature, so depending on your initiative, you might be forced to pull out an archer from below and then finish climbing through the window afterward.

I'd everyone to roll Initiative. The archers on the west (left, above Rosa) side of the street are surprised; The two that Rosa can see across on the east (right) side, that Borgrim is climbing towards, are not.

Initiative:
    Oh, right, I guess I should roll Initiative as well.
    EastArcher1 - 5
    EastArcher2 - 8

WestArcher1 - 3 (Surprised)
    WestArcher2 - 9 (Surprised)
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-17 at 05:23 PM. Reason: I WAS WRONG!
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

EDIT 2:Hmm, thinking about it you can't end your movement in the same space as another creature, so depending on your initiative, you might be forced to pull out an archer from below and then finish climbing through the window afterward.
    That's why I included a strength check =)

Which btw is rather subpar - can I get a +2 for being able to brace my legs against the windowsill? I mean, sure, so can the archer - but he might not have the time to react =)

Initiative: (1d20+2)[11] (do you add proficiency here?!)

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, he could also remain hanging from the balcony, but it would be less than ideal I think.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

24. - Top - End - #84

Well, he could also remain hanging from the balcony, but it would be less than ideal I think.
    Yes. That would, indeed, be a less optimal outcome.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Initiative - (1d20+9)[23]

I haven't either time nor batteries at the moment. If I can't post and you want to press on, Rosa's action will be to take cover and cast True Strike on the closest non-engaged enemy. I posted.

EDIT: The overhang gives total cover to Rosa from 2 of the archers. Is there any way, in move range, for her to get partial cover from the 2 other archers too?
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-18 at 08:02 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I was already forgetting the Raven. Here's it's intiative - (1d20+2)[19]
    If I can manage, I'd like to telepathically order the Raven to fly where Grim is going and use the help action to give it advantage on attacking/defenestrating the Archer.
    help - (1d20+4)[20]

As for myself, I'll use the cover of the alley corner to protect myself against arrows while I shoot using Eldritch Blast. hit - (1d20+6)[22], DMG - (1d10)[5], hitExtra - (1d20+6)[11] in case of adv or disadvantage.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

27. - Top - End - #87

That's why I included a strength check =)

Which btw is rather subpar - can I get a +2 for being able to brace my legs against the windowsill? I mean, sure, so can the archer - but he might not have the time to react =)

Initiative: [roll0] (do you add proficiency here?!)
    I just double checked the Overrun rules in the DMG and you would be able to use your bonus action to move past the archer. I'll give the +2 this time, for the opposed check.

You don't add proficiency to initiative, just Dexterity by default.

[roll0]

I haven't either time nor batteries at the moment. If I can't post and you want to press on, Rosa's action will be to take cover and cast True Strike on the closest non-engaged enemy. I posted.

EDIT: The overhang gives total cover to Rosa from 2 of the archers. Is there any way, in move range, for her to get partial cover from the 2 other archers too?
    Rosa can retreat 10 feet to get half-cover (+2 AC) by squeezing against a doorframe. Or if she moves 30 feet back, she can gain full cover (three-quarters cover if you want to keep visual contact with the archers) around the corner into the west alley next to Benedict. (you can shoot first and then move into cover, of course).

EDIT: Benedict's raven stuff is all good. From the IC thread, "The guys Rosa sees are the ones Borgrim is charging, right?" is correct.

It looks like I won't be able to get an IC post up until later today.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-18 at 09:29 AM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

I just double checked the Overrun rules in the DMG and you would be able to use your bonus action to move past the archer. I'll give the +2 this time, for the opposed check.
    Interesting. Tactically, it still feels more advantageous to toss one enemy down to the street - if I win the check. Otherwise, less so. But ... are you saying I could salvage that with a bonus action? If so, yes please =) hanging on to windowsills without dex bonus while under archer fire is one of the specific 'do not do's' of basic barbarianing.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Rosa can retreat 10 feet to get half-cover (+2 AC) by squeezing against a doorframe.
    That's good enough. Falling back further would put her out of short range for subsequent crossbow shots. (30ft.)

Mao is for now hiding on the roof opposite the side Brogrim climbed. Stealth - (1d20)[14] + whatever modifier.

30. - Top - End - #90

Borgrim should'a maybe spent a bit more time on the wagging - but the point was to keep the archers on one side from firing, while we take down those on the other side. But that's what we're doing anyways, so it could be argued that any further explanation would have been wasted =D
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-05-18 at 11:28 AM.