Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Summer Camp at Goldenrod OOC

Heya everyone! This will be the official OOC thread for the game. I'm going to repost the house rules here in an edit and make sure your sheets are rock solid. I may set up a discord or something else for us to have the possibility of live chat if that's something you guys think you'd be interested in.

Please repost your sheet here select your text color and I'll get the IC thread up once all that is done!

Loyalty
    Spoiler
    Show

Loyalty

Wild
    Wild loyalty is for pokemon recently captured or perhaps for non captured allies. To command a pokemon at this level, a Command or Intimidate check equal to half the Pokemonís level (rounded up) is needed. Some pokemon may have additional difficultly modifiers. Otherwise, the pokemon will act on instinct or loaf about. Wild pokemon cannot spend tutor points or benefit from orders or training nor is it considered 'your pokemon' for the purpose of many features.

Trained
    Trained loyalty is obtained after a wild pokemon has been with the trainer for some time. At this level, the pokemon fully obeys commands and will act independently to the best of their ability. Command or Intimidate checks are needed only in special circumstances such as particularly dangerous or self destructive acts.

Loyal (Broken)
    Loyal or Broken pokemon are always looking out for you and will not wait for orders if it is to act in your interest. They will obey any command without question and will resist natural inclinations when they conflict with your orders or would bring harm to you. Command (for Loyal) or Intimidate (for Broken) checks can be used to bolster the pokemonís skill checks. By spending 1 AP and a swift action, you can grant a bonus to a skill check equal to your skill rank or allow the pokemon to reroll a skill check. You may do only one of these per skill check and only one time.

NPCs
    Spoiler
    Show

Goldenrod NPCs

Counselors

Mia - Ranger, Stantler, PCs chaperone, caretaker, rider

Russ - Police Officer, Machamp, weapons, self defense

Rosie - Gym trainer, Kangaskhan, swimmer, commander

Bruce - Nurse, Bellossom, science guy.

Rin - Chaplin, Jynx, spiritual advisor

Hachi - Occult Master, Umbreon

Pinsir group
    Counselor-Officer Russ

Henry, rich, spoiled ringleader
    Wartortle

Joey, younger, impressionable, unwilling henchmen
    Rattata

Charlotte, Henry's sister
    Heracross

Drake, Cool guy
    Mimkyu

Ledian group
    Councelor-Nurse Bruce

Justin, "boy scout" eager
    Joltik

Sam, Student
    Meowth

Chase, asthma, tech savy
    Porygon

Ajax (for now)

Truant musings
    Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like simply making truant deny your shift instead of standard is kinda okay, but removes the flavorful drawback of snoozing on the job.

One thought I had was to make it so that the annoying possibility of missing multiple turns in a row is removed, making it so you don't have to roll the turn after being truant.

Another thought is make the truant pokemon resist all damage one extra stage while truant such that the enemy doesn't get such a huge health lead when it triggers.

Perhaps we could even go the game route and give the truant pokemon, or maybe just Slaking more power while not truant.
    Last edited by CateranEnforcer; 2019-06-22 at 02:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Summer Camp at Goldenrod OOC

Margret Blackwell is ready to rumble! I think I'll use Bold Teal for her speech color.

Spoiler: Character Creation/Development musings
    Show

This is just a place for me to keep my musings for if I get in.

I've always enjoyed Channeler, and have had the idea of a blind trainer who uses her pokemon as her 'eyes'. I fully intend for her to have the blinded condition if she isn't channeling a pokemon's eyes, and she likely can't channel a pokemon she can't see, which was intentional. I've been trying to build drawbacks into characters more often. However, her real flaw has nothing to do with being blind, its her habit of giving up battles.

She started as a duelist, but as I settled into her personality I opted for Ace Trainer instead. To be frank, she'll likely lose her first few battles due to forfeiture, though she'll be less likely to do this with Bors (whismur) or wild captures until she truly bonds with them.

As she confronts her own emotional fragility and embraces her role as a trianer who needs to confront battles, she'll start progressing into duelist as a symbol of her growth. However, I want to represent the true switch into a serious battler with Gawain's evolution from a Growlithe to an Arcanine. I'd rather it be more than just a stone evolution, as I want it directly linked to Margret's own mental state. Of course I'll drop the coins, but it would be so cool to have her starter's growth from just a seeing/eye pokemon into a formidable beast mirror Margret's emotional growth as a trainer. When that happens is ideally a collaboration between the GM and I

Last edited by CosmicOccurence; 2019-05-05 at 10:28 AM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the wonderful avatar.

Aatos My medieval pokemon setting.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

Johto: Guardians of Legends as Julius Varro

World at War (PTA) as Francis May

GM of Exploring Aatos a Medieval PTA game.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Well this is a (very pleasant) surprise. Welcome to the thread everyone!

Reposting Nessa Alori. She's a medic/poison type ace, trying to find cures for diseases for people and pokemon, often using the venom from her own pokemon!

And for speech, I'll go for Blue.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: RP Sample
    Show
    A small shadow slipping between the streets was the only sign that anybody was awake in Lillibell village at this time, but Nessa made certain to keep her movements quiet as a rattata: she didn't want to get caught sneaking out. Or at least, not again.

Passing the last house she breathed a sigh of relief as she made her way into the shade of the forest. Safe. She'd been warned enough times about heading into the forest on her own, and had ignored those warnings plenty as well. She was pretty sure her mom was losing patience with her, and she didn't like that one bit. But...

She stopped at the tree she had marked and pulled aside the protective branches she had left which shielded a small nest of leaves and forest detritus. "How are you doing little girl?" she crooned softly, as she bent down to examine her patient. The baby pidgey cooed weakly and then lay back down again, gingerly avoiding its left handside. "Still not better huh?"

Nessa new that her parents didn't care about her helping one little pokemon, but she knew she had to do it. She hated to see suffering, and she knew she could do something about it. A broken wing was easy: she wanted to do much bigger things. But baby steps first: that's what Alice, her sister, always said anyway. She was looking forward to the camp in Goldenrod which started in the summer, just 6 weeks away. It had been the only topic she wanted to discuss, and she's spent hours thinking about the books she would take, the pokemon she wanted to find, and what classes they would offer. Her only worry was that if this Pidgey didn't heal it would still need her when she had to leave...

A nudge at her knee told her Fig was out of her pokeball again. The Nidoran prodded her gently and then gave her the defiant glare that always made Nessa quake - Fig was as old as she was and had always looked out for her, clearly she disapproved of Nessa's behaviour as much as her mom did. "Fine, I won't stay out here for long, just let me get some of your venom: I've been working on a potion to speed healing that's catalysed by a weak toxin. I'll be quick..."

Nessa only returned home much later, bruised and dirty, with a disgruntled Nidoran in tow. "It would have been fine if you'd just let me take a sample," she whined, which received zero sympathy from her pokemon, or her mother who opened the door fuming. She was going to be grounded until the camp, that was for certain.
    Last edited by Nap Captain; 2019-05-05 at 05:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Very Surprised to see Haukea getting picked! Definitely happy to be selected, and if all else fails we certainly have some dedicated alternatives if people get busy with life.

Haukea Tanaka, Proud Music Enthusiast and Lover of the Sea, is here to warm the hearts of dogooders everywhere! Her info is in the sheet, but I will expand upon it as the game goes on. There's a million half ideas I have in mind, and am excited to see where things go.

For color I'll likely go with Dark Orange, to give us some diversity in the player colors. Plus Pink is hellish to read haha.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I was away for the weekend and came back to a nice surprise. I look forward to playing with you all.

Constance, formerly LeFluer is ready to see what world awaits.

She is eager to go beyond a life of constant failure

She will choose a nice bold green for her speech.

6. - Top - End - #6

RedKnightGirl

I've noticed some little things with some of your sheets, but I wanted to get this going first before I ask you about those small corrections. Nothing major that will affect stuff right off the bat. I'll update you all when I finish looking those over. Until then, you can make your entrance in the new IC Thread!

7. - Top - End - #7

RedKnightGirl

Okies my corrections and notes!

AutumnLotus

You have some extra stats under your feat column. The only features that grant you stats are the two musician features that grant special attack.

You can include your inheritance (egg) moves in the blank spots under your pokemon portraits. I remember I dinged you for that earlier and then went back on it later. The table will show you the level the moves will be learned at, though as a bonus your wooper learns them 5 levels early. You get three per pokemon.

I'm not sure how wooper knows cut unless you bought the HM for it. If so, make sure to expend one tutor point! He does learn Mud Sport at 5 though!

Not a problem but a note. In the Feburary Playtest Packet, many abilities were reworked, Swift Swim being one of them. It now reads:

Ability: Swift Swim
    Static
    Effect: While in Rainy Weather or under 50% Max Hit Points, the userís Initiative is doubled.

Same idea but a little bit different.

EDIT: Your type Ace feature does cost your pokemon 2 Tutor Points and you can add the choosen ability to their ability list. Torrent is your Last Chance ability or Type Strategist (Water).

CO
    Just making sure you know this, you can select 3 egg moves per pokemon, not just 3 in total.

Nap Captain

Feel free to buy items with your money. I'll give you a bit of leeway. If you'd still rather not, then make sure to mark your 5000 on your sheet.

I see you spent the tutor points on your poison ace feature, but you can add it to your pokemon's ability list as well. Venom is the name of your Last Chance type or Type Strategist (Poison)

Lorel
    Your onix has 2 unspent points.

The February Playtest does list Truant as being changed. The only difference in wording is that the pokemon forfeits their standard action on their turn rather than their shift action but I thought that was implied anyways? I am willing to modify truant if you find it problematic in the future. I've never seen it in action but it seems pretty punishing.
    Last edited by CateranEnforcer; 2019-05-07 at 11:37 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

Points allocated. Onix just got a bit healthier.

As for Truant, I don't mind trying it out - I also assume they gave up the whole turn. I have never played it or seen someone who has, so I thought it may be fun/interesting. It might be difficult but if he starts slacking off too much I can use Momentum to "11" the roll.

9. - Top - End - #9

Most of those seem like things I already fixed, but I guess the sheet decided to not update. Oh well.

The playtest version of Swift Swim seems entirely worthless, though. Bad enough that I would never take it under any circumstance. So I'll likely switch to the other ability instead.

Also totally forgot TMs and HMs take tutor points haha

10. - Top - End - #10

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLotus View Post
    The playtest version of Swift Swim seems entirely worthless, though. Bad enough that I would never take it under any circumstance. So I'll likely switch to the other ability instead.
    Oh! Not what I was thinking at first. I don't want to rules lawyer the fun out of it. Particularly with playtest material. While I do think that most of the ability changes are positive i do see now that this is a significant nerf especially for a water ace. I feel like under normal circumstances while gaming around a table, the change seems appropriate but with the way initiative often works in PbP that bonuses like that are much less useful. Therefore the speed evasion becomes the main perk from this ability which already has a cap to limit its impact.

All that being said, with you bring water ace and this being PbP I feel like we can throw out the playtest version. I agree that it does very little.

On that note, if do make a ruling like that, you absolutely can ask me to reconsider. The playtests are not set in stone and I'm already ignoring a few of those rules anyways.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll go in and add the egg moves.

Also, as an ardent lover of Slaking, Truant needs reworked. I'd posted several times to the forums without any response to the devs from my proposals. The problem is that theoretically you could go an entire battle without doing anything. And that's just not fun, especially since the stat points don't matter as much in PTU, though he's still a monster. Especially with combat in pbp, losing one turn of combat can be like three or four days of posting material.

I'd advocate for it to be losing shift, thus forcing them to attack someone adjacent or to use a ranged attack. Still inconvienent in the wrong circumstances, but not crippling.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Side note: Autumn, is your Vaporeon especially small? Because they're over 3 feet tall and I'm just imagining someone carrying a golden lab on their shoulders right now.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

I appreciate the reconsideration. The playtest is sometimes amazing in how it improves the game, while other times makes no sense. It's long been a criticism against the rules writers that they made Speed a really bad stat, especially when they nerf speed boosters. If Swift Swim was double the initiative, with no health requirement, I'd understand. But the current playtest rules makes it an inferior version of Torrent.

14. - Top - End - #14

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicOccurence View Post
    Side note: Autumn, is your Vaporeon especially small? Because they're over 3 feet tall and I'm just imagining someone carrying a golden lab on their shoulders right now.
    I had considered applying the baby template (-1 or -2 to all stats) that went away with level up on the Vaporeon since it is not underdog, but decided against it. As you said stats aren't THAT big a deal. I did that once with a friend who had a level 10 Tauros, but I don't think there was any major impact. Just 1 or 2 points of damage or defense don't add up to all that much extra. Would account for the size though!

And yes, I'll keep a few things in mind for Truant. What I may do is give a grace period such that it can never trigger two turns in a row. I've considered that in past. We'll see.

Oh and I did think there is one element on the playtest Swift Swim that you may have missed. It doesn't change my mind on it, because I do think that initiative is less valuable in PbP. In the playtest, it triggers during rain OR if your pokemon is below 50%. So even if it never rains or you have no way to activate it, you might still get a chance to use it. That's more of a quality of life change in my opinion and I am still fine with allowing it to affect speed rather than just initiative.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicOccurence View Post
    That is me forgetting relative size but I'm stubborn, so now Haukea is deadlifting the catdog because they like the spot to sleep

Edit: we'll say Siren is 3ft even, since she is more speed then bulk
    Last edited by AutumnLotus; 2019-05-07 at 07:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Is she still on your shoulders then? I'm fine with it, it's just a super comical image.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Yessir. I like the image and it fits Haukea's character to ignore her self image to have her partner be comfortable

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CateranEnforcer View Post
    Nap Captain

Feel free to buy items with your money. I'll give you a bit of leeway. If you'd still rather not, then make sure to mark your 5000 on your sheet.

I see you spent the tutor points on your poison ace feature, but you can add it to your pokemon's ability list as well. Venom is the name of your Last Chance type or Type Strategist (Poison)
    Thanks for pointing those out - I'll put some things on the sheet today. Cool - I have added it.

Quick question on roleplaying pokemon - should I reply with what Margaret feels when she channels Fig?

19. - Top - End - #19

RedKnightGirl

I've thought about it, and I think roleplaying your pokemon will also be tied a little bit to loyalty. Wild pokemon are basically NPCs until they become trained. Trained and loyal are yours to do with what you will. Trained pokemon do still have natural inclinations that may distract them do they may do a few odd things here and there. Pokemon RP always seems like a fine line between GM and player.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Can I make a quick request? For at least the first bit, can we use pokemon species names plus the nickname? It helps me link them in my head without having to go dig up all our sheets again every time.

Like: This is Gawain, she said, indicating the Growlithe.

It doesn't have to be every time you use the nickname, but if you could include the species somewhere in the post, it would help greatly. Like, its stuff I could look up, but it helps me flow much better if there are also clues in the text and my memory for this stuff isn't great.

Games I'm in:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Fine by me. But only if we start labelling each character as "the human"

22. - Top - End - #22

RedKnightGirl

Post up! I just wanted to chime in saying that I've got a discord channel set up for me. It's on server that includes a few of GitP posters and friends that have connected over the years, but we have our own Goldenrod channel if that's something you'd be interested in using. It's sometimes easier to get a hold of me there for quick questions. I'll still post major things here and you aren't required to join if it's not something you use. Just an offer!

Link

23. - Top - End - #23

RedKnightGirl

There have been a couple different questions about thr pokegear. I thought the core book mentioned it, but I think its all under the pokedex entry. I guess you can think of it as a pokedex plus smart phone kind of device. You can strap it on your arm it just carry it like a phone on your hip or in a pocket.

24. - Top - End - #24

Totally forgot to add this in: if the conversation would qualify, I'll throw in a Charm roll here for good measure

Charm: (3d6+2)[14]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Just as a note - I am consciously not being proactive in this scene as Nessa has no interest in either the battle or this Wartortle-boy, but because she is looking out for the group she doesn't want to go off on her own quite yet. So I am ok with her not doing anything right now.

26. - Top - End - #26

RedKnightGirl

Okay I've been working on a spreadsheet for use in battles. The map is blank for now. If you can, please add in your pokemon stats on the status tracker. You should be able to edit it. The bold number is calculated based on combat stages so don't mess with that. let me know if you have any questions about it!

27. - Top - End - #27

AssassinGuy

Team Slow has added their stats.

28. - Top - End - #28

AssassinGuy

(4d6)[6][2][1][4](13)
    Maybe this roll will work?

29. - Top - End - #29

RedKnightGirl

Yeah, preview breaks rolls pretty sure.

30. - Top - End - #30

AssassinGuy

I'll have to get used to that. Note to self. Type post first, preview, *then* add rolls.