New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Boundless Nuggets of Questionable Martial Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Well, this is basically the plot outline of any 'gather all the MacGuffins' story, so.. it's not entirely bad advice, if you happen to live in a universe where magical whatsits and lucky charms actually do something
    I am not in the habit of explaining the joke, or the reference. your interpretation is valid to, I guess.

"Remember: the best warriors are humble farm boys who don't want to fight and are destined to receive legendary swords. never recruit the cynical or people from the city."

"Never trust a mage, they will eventually learn too much about magic and decide you are useless to them, and then where you will be?"

"shields are for cowards, real warriors dual-wield, after all if you can't kill two men at the same time, your not killing fast enough, you only have one life after all"

"see the reason why you only use a dagger is so that when you charge into battle waving it around, people will fall over laughing at the thought of ever being killed by it then you slit their throats while they can't act."

"the warriors greatest weakness is a warm bed and the paramour lying within it. therefore never sleep, lust or love."

"life is a game, and the score is counted by how many people you kill before someone kills you. the one who kills the most people wins!"
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I know this is a thread about mostly silly and stupid sayings but this one is so SO wrong. As someone with a pretty high pain treshold, no, NO!

Pain is pain, and fatigue/exhaustion is exhaustion. Maybe it is clearer to me than to others who confuse strain and stress with actual pain. If you hurt, you stop IMMEDIATELY.
    This is one of those pithy quotes that trades brevity for clarity. It's generally considered to be a summary of the idea of suffering. An excellent example is holding your breath. The average person can hold their breath for 30 seconds before they start to gasp. However, the average person has enough air in their lungs to last for about 2 minutes before they need to breathe. That 90 second difference, when you are uncomfortable/suffering, and have to use your will-power to continue holding your breath is what the saying is actually referring to. And that's also why that saying gets so much traction in the military, because at the higher levels they're looking for people who can suffer. And at the higher levels people can *really* suffer. The world record for a human holding their breath is over 22 minutes.

Returning to the subject:

"All fighting is fighting."

"All fighting is position."

"At it's heart war is simple. But in war even the very simple things are very hard to do."
    Last edited by jjordan; 2019-05-17 at 04:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

"Learn fundamental truths about fighting and you are a great master or learn logic and tautologies and you are the greatest of all masters for you can find an infinity of truthes"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Fear not the great swordsman. Fear the mediocre swordsman who could buy your homeland twice over—in cash—and commands several thousand pikemen, cavalry, and archers.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2019-05-18 at 09:40 AM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

“Do you know what a hero is? Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, he's somebody who's tired enough and cold enough and hungry enough not to give a damn. I don't give a damn.” —Capt. B. F. “Hawkeye” Pierce, M*A*S*H
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

"If you are going to set off an explosion, look away from it. This ensures two things; your own safety and the assured destruction of anything caught in the blast"

"Reach is key to victory in combat. The man with the spear defeats the man with the sword, and the man with the bow defeats the man with the spear"

"Even the fiercest warriors are subject to morale. Strike at the morale to cripple as assuredly as the body"

"Quantity is at least as important as quality, until logistics become involved"

"Follow the rule of threes. Offense, defense and mobility. Forward, backward and around. Shelter, food and medicine. Threats, deceit and negotiation. Honor, faith and fear."
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

"Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at."

"Now listen to me closely I'll endeavor to explain
    What separates a charlatan from a Charlemagne
    A rule confessed by generals illustrious and various
    Though pompous as a Pompey or as daring as a Darius
    A simple rule that every great man knows by heart
    It's smarter to be lucky than it's lucky to be smart."
    -- "Pippin"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground

I’m disappointed that there are people posting serious quotes in a thread about questionable wisdom.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

On a horse cart, in a Goblin ambush.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

I am very surprised that there are no quotes from Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. Time to fix that.

Maxim 1: Pillage, then burn.
    Maxim 5: If violence wan't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
    Maxim 17: The longer everything goes according to plan, the bigger the impending disaster.
    Maxim 27: Don't be afaid to be the first to resort to violence.
    Maxim 41: "Do you have a backup?" means "I can't fix this."
    Maxim 43: If it is stupid and it works, it's still stupid and you're lucky.
    Maxim 48: If it ain't broke, it hasn't been issued to the infantry.
    Maxim 59: Two wrongs is probably not going to be enough.
    Maxim 52: Anything labeled "This end towards enemy." is dangerous at both ends.
    Maxim 69: Sometimes rank is a function of firepower.
    Maxim 70: Failure isn't an option. It's manditory. The option is whether on not to let failure be the last thing you do.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    I am very surprised that there are no quotes from Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. Time to fix that.

Maxim 1: Pillage, then burn.
    Maxim 5: If violence wan't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
    Maxim 17: The longer everything goes according to plan, the bigger the impending disaster.
    Maxim 27: Don't be afaid to be the first to resort to violence.
    Maxim 41: "Do you have a backup?" means "I can't fix this."
    Maxim 43: If it is stupid and it works, it's still stupid and you're lucky.
    Maxim 48: If it ain't broke, it hasn't been issued to the infantry.
    Maxim 59: Two wrongs is probably not going to be enough.
    Maxim 52: Anything labeled "This end towards enemy." is dangerous at both ends.
    Maxim 69: Sometimes rank is a function of firepower.
    Maxim 70: Failure isn't an option. It's manditory. The option is whether on not to let failure be the last thing you do.
    I think a few popped up without being labelled as Maxims.

Your post, on the other hand, was a Maxim machine-gun.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

13. - Top - End - #73

DrowGuy

when in doubt, groin attacks are both effective and hilarious. especially with a brick.

some people just need a high five. in the face. with a chair. twice.

remember: when someone tells you to "use your head", a headbutt is not always the solution.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Any freeman who can shoot 6 arrows a minute is probably too dangerous to have behind you.

People rise to the level where they cease to be competent, then stop. This is all you need to know about why nothing runs smoothly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

[QUOTE=Brother Oni;23892858]"And once you have mastered these techniques, then you may attempt to study the barely restrained aggression of Bounding Overwatch, the dual lessons of the brutally cunning Mozambique Drill and the cunningly brutal Tueller Drill and finally the patient but lethal Slicing the Pie.

However each of these are mere child's steps to the final goal of killing the enemy by words only, it is an arcane rite of variable length and different words every time, but always ends with the dreaded words of 'FIRE. FOR. EFFECT.' "

"But always ends with the dreaded words fire for effect!" NOT QUITE it could end with "Battery Adjust" or even "Repeat." but It usually ends with a call of "Time on Target,"a count down of 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, followed by the exclamation "SPASH!" Which is in turn followed by an Earth-shattering explosion because that's just what we do in the FIELD ARTILLERY [aka THE KING OF BATTLE]. Remember... 1-800 REDLEG ... When it positively, absolutely, has to be DESTROYED!

As a "Redleg," I can attest to the fact that there really is NO personal problem that the proper application of high explosive cannot solve.
    I know this because I too delivered "FREEDOM" 155mm at a time! And YES [mr. Harri Cristina in the DFW airport] I believe in "Peace on Earth." In fact, I believe in pieces all over the Earth... preferably little tiny ones! Whooshahhh!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Beware the "old man" in any profession that kills "young men" on a daily basis!

If you did it and lived, you PROBABLY did it right...

Professional soldiers are "professional" and therefore predictable. It's that "rank amateur" who thinks outside the box you have to watch out for!

Your job is NOT to die for your Country! It's to make the other poor bastard die for his!

A bullet has your name on it and is a "special delivery" sent to you by someone you often could have detected or evaded. High Explosives come postmarked "To Whom It May Concern," and there's NOT a damned thing you can do about it once it arrives.
    Last edited by olskool; 2019-05-28 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling

17. - Top - End - #77

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by olskool View Post
    A bullet has your name on it and is a "special delivery" sent to you by someone you often could have detected or evaded. High Explosives come postmarked "To Whom It May Concern," and there's NOT a damned thing you can do about it once it arrives.
    "dear grid coordinates..."
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.