Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Etiquitte for splitting the tip

I despise the "tip" culture... However, I live in a place where people living on minimum wage really need all the help they can get, so I tip.

But sometimes tip is treated as something the workers are entitled to, rather than a kindness freely given by the customer. If the service isn't good or if they complain that it's "only" 10%, I simply don't tip at all.
    Homebrew Stuff:

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    10% was considered standard at restaurants, but I see thst it's higher now.
    Which is crap, because being a percent, it scales with inflation automatically. There's no need to chsnfe the percents. I say as someome who was raised in a "15 is the standard, 18-20 is exceptional, and 10 is poor.

Which reminds me, I have tipped only a few cents before when I had the worst restaurant experience of my life (entirely due to the server, at that). I think if you leave no tip, they can just assume your the kind of jerk who doesnt tip, but if you tip 8 cents, that says "I do tip, just not you." I still think it was more than the guy deserved.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Which is crap, because being a percent, it scales with inflation automatically. There's no need to chsnfe the percents. I say as someome who was raised in a "15 is the standard, 18-20 is exceptional, and 10 is poor.
    It scales with the inflation of restaurant prices, to scale perfectly it would have to scale with the difference between the yearly increase in pay of waiters and the inflation on the costs of living a normal life, including new costs, like internet bills and mobile phones now being essentially basic necessities. There's a lot of different numbers there where things could have gone wrong.

You're still right in the general case of course, but there is enough variance that the real world could be an exception.
    The ultimate OOTS cookie cutter nameless soldier is the hobgoblin.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Which is crap, because being a percent, it scales with inflation automatically. There's no need to chsnfe the percents.
    Unless the base wage the tip is supposed to make up to something decently livable hasn't changed with inflation.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Unless the base wage the tip is supposed to make up to something decently livable hasn't changed with inflation.
    No, the tips just have to make up the difference to at least minimum wage. If you want to talk about whether that is livable, I'd love to but not on these forums.

As for how accurate I was, I'll completely agree with the 2nd level expert minotaur scientist.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-05-12 at 09:42 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

This was all discussed in reservoir dogs.

Mr. White vs Mr Pink on tipping.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For my own part, I used to work as a prep cook at a country club. I made 1$ over minimum wage. The waitresses all made 3-4$ less than minimum wage. The waitresses all took home far more than me because of tips. And I actually made some of the food the customers would eat. The waitresses just brought the order in and carried the food out.

Looking online, the NYC minimum wage is 15$ or 10$ for employees that receive tips. It's not hard for a waitress to make more than 40$ in tips in an 8 hour shift.

One thing I learned in my time working in restaurants is DON'T $&@& OFF THE WAITRESSES. If you go to a restaurant in a regular basis and repeatedly stiff the waitress, they will know you when you walk through the door. It's a good way to get some "special seasoning" added to your food.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    The only practical suggestion I have that hasn't been mentioned yet is that you can try to pick places to eat where it makes sense for everyone to order separately and pay at the time of order. That way, your decisions about tipping are easily separated from those of your friends, and you don't have to worry about how to split the check, either.
    Service industry vet.

You can virtually ALWAYS have separate checks no matter where you eat- it's not even a PROBLEM for any server with a week's experience- but MAKE SURE TO TELL THEM RIGHT FROM THE START! :) As long as they know the bill situation before they ring your order in, you are NOT being difficult. The fact that you KNEW what to do will be what's remembered, compared to all the tables of old people that ask their server to split a 6 top bill 5 ways after it's been dropped off.

Again, to reiterate- asking for a split bill is NOT a problem for a server as long as you tell them how it is from the start.

Which reminds me, I have tipped only a few cents before when I had the worst restaurant experience of my life (entirely due to the server, at that). I think if you leave no tip, they can just assume your the kind of jerk who doesnt tip, but if you tip 8 cents, that says "I do tip, just not you." I still think it was more than the guy deserved.
    You are correct- that's a pittance, which I define as just enough to be more insulting than nothing. Your server DEFINITELY knew what your message was. :D

Quote Originally Posted by napoleon_in_rag View Post

One thing I learned in my time working in restaurants is DON'T $&@& OFF THE WAITRESSES. If you go to a restaurant in a regular basis and repeatedly stiff the waitress, they will know you when you walk through the door. It's a good way to get some "special seasoning" added to your food.

It's worse than that- the server you stiffed is off having drinks with a ton of other servers after work and they're all sharing descriptions off their worst customers. If someone keeps that behaviour up consistently in a small town, or one neighbourhood, EVERYONE will eventually know.
    Last edited by Otomodachi; 2019-05-12 at 12:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    Service industry vet.

You can virtually ALWAYS have separate checks no matter where you eat- it's not even a PROBLEM for any server with a week's experience- but MAKE SURE TO TELL THEM RIGHT FROM THE START! :) As long as they know the bill situation before they ring your order in, you are NOT being difficult. The fact that you KNEW what to do will be what's remembered, compared to all the tables of old people that ask their server to split a 6 top bill 5 ways after it's been dropped off.

Again, to reiterate- asking for a split bill is NOT a problem for a server as long as you tell them how it is from the start.
    I went out with colleagues from work for someone's leaving lunch the other day, and at the end of the meal the waitress came round to take payments. The bill had been issued for the entire table, so people had to work out what each of them owed. Probably about two thirds of people were paying by card, and the rest (including me) with cash. We counted up all the cash, and then when the waitress had collected what looked like all the card payments we asked her how much the table had paid so far. She said "I have no idea."

I don't know whether she got a tip or not, because I don't know whether we even paid enough to cover the food.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I went out with colleagues from work for someone's leaving lunch the other day, and at the end of the meal the waitress came round to take payments. The bill had been issued for the entire table, so people had to work out what each of them owed. Probably about two thirds of people were paying by card, and the rest (including me) with cash. We counted up all the cash, and then when the waitress had collected what looked like all the card payments we asked her how much the table had paid so far. She said "I have no idea."

I don't know whether she got a tip or not, because I don't know whether we even paid enough to cover the food.
    In my honest opinion it was at least partially on you guys. Yes, the smartest/most experienced servers KNOW to ask at the very beginning "How are we gonna be splitting this up" for any party bigger than 2, but getting a single check is definitely the standard so it's at least somewhat on you all as well. That said, "I don't know who paid what" is not an acceptable answer, either. That's what receipts ARE.

As analogy is if you hired a house painter to paint your walls, and then asked for an accent wall after they'd painted all four... you'd be paying extra for that. Asking for a check to be split AT THE END is a bigger inconvenience than it seems because

A) The restaurant owner is probably cheaping out on their digital dining software, and so the actual mechanics of splitting that check are SUPER time consuming

B) The exact second your food was delivered, pretty much all memory of who had what has been obliterated in that server's brain to make room for your other tables; to effectively split a check, they basically have to take your order all over again.

C) Depending on that dining software, again, your server might've just pissed off the kitchen by creating a new check and then having to go tell the kitchen to ignore it. the kitchen is busy. the kitchen doesn't want to be ignoring tickets. This makes the kitchen very angry, and they WILL take it out on that server. Does it seem like it shouldn't be such a big deal? Welcome to god damn food service.

and D) The server's mood is taking a hit because ALL OF THIS could've been avoided.

How big a party are we talking? 4? 6? 10? If it was more than four you really, really made some trouble for that person by asking for a split at the end instead of asking for separate checks from the beginning.

Seriously, unless you're with a familiar group of people you are USED to splitting checks with, just ask for a separate check right at the beginning. I can't say this enough- as long as the server knows about it before they ring in your order, it is NOT a problem. It's SO MUCH BETTER. Don't even discuss it with the others- soon as the server looks your way say "Hi, can I have mine on a separate check? I'm gonna get the (blah)."

Even in the scenario where half the people with you suddenly chime in "Oh yeah me too" it's less work than having to split a check at the end.

I'm in touristland, so it's not applicable everywhere, but most of the restaurants around here flatout say in their menu no split checks for parties smaller than 6, and parties of 6 or more are automatically getting a 18.5% (usually) tip tacked on. I've definitely broken those rules when hte people are OK with me just splitting the total into thirds/halves/quarters/whatever equal portions (that's just a matter of credit card entry) but it's pretty nice to shut down the 5 top asking for separate itemized checks when there's just no damn time.

There's NEVER time.
    Last edited by Otomodachi; 2019-05-12 at 04:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    That's because donations to charity is tax deductible. When a company is asking you if you want to donate to charity, what they're really asking you is "pay our taxes for us".
    That's incredible. Is that actually true?
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, an old school RPG of Gothic Fantasy. Download full rules at heartofdarknessrpg.com

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Nah. They don't pay taxes to begin with.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    What? Donations being tax deductible? Absolutely. The fact that in most countries, cost factors in before tax? Also.

14. - Top - End - #74

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by napoleon_in_rag View Post
    Even ignoring that risk... Being rude to waitresses and other people in the sercice industry is one surefire way to (deservedly) look like an *******.

Seriously... One of the main lessons I learned in life is that someone who is nice to you, but treat waiters like crap is almost certainly a horrible person... Or at least a major douchebag.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-05-12 at 07:37 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

15. - Top - End - #75

All this talk of large parties and bill-splitting is reminding me of my particularly ridiculous cousin's ridiculous first wedding.

Cousin and turns-out-not-to-be-life-partner decide that they are getting married! With very little notice! And they want it to be at this particular beach and restaurant that Hold Special Meaning for them. Also, they are broke. Since we're one of those families where everyone in the previous generation had zero, one, or two kids and are all in touch with each other going several generations back, about 50 mostly-elderly or middle-aged people rent hotel rooms in overpriced-but-meaningful beach town, tromp out on to the beach, and watch these two tie the knot while standing up and awkwardly milling around since they did not get a permit or anything so we're all trying to look like no event is going on and we're going to have to make it quick.

Everyone then descends onto the Equally Meaningful Restaurant, which does not actually do wedding dinners but which, after who knows what amount of persuasion (which was, thankfully, done in advance of us arriving) did agree to seat all 50 or so of us at some long benches in their overflow room. However, because the couple is broke we will all be buying our own meals (the Mother of the Groom ordered a few beer taster trays for the room, though) and because the restaurant hates us and this entire half-baked wedding concept, they will not be splitting the check 50 ways but will be providing a single bill.

I then got to try to try to deal with splitting this particular bill among the entire clan because I taught math for a living and therefore must be good with numbers. (I will note that other members of the family were things like accountants and therefore also plausibly "good with numbers", but I was a "kid" of the same generation as Cousin and therefore going to be stuck with a chore over an "adult" like the various finance-people of my parents' generation.) I got the fun of people I did not recognize telling me things like "I am paying for my meal and also other-relative-you-don't-know's meal", often without any specific items attached and arbitrary amounts of money being handed over. My mother did at least point out which people were both wealthy and closely related to the Happy Couple, as those were the ones to hit up for any overages at the end (of course there were overages).

I will note that no one told me I would get stuck with this task until the bill was delivered, so I did not take the common-sense precautions of doing things like having paper with me to record names and amounts on in my Wedding Outfit. I did take the common-sense precaution of remembering what I had ordered as I ordered it and also remembering how much it cost so I knew how much I'd need to pay later, but that was not a universal strategy. Also, this particular Meaningful Restaurant was a brewery so many of the guests may not have been completely sober while trying to remember what they ordered and who else they'd agreed to buy dinner and/or beers for.

(I am decently sure, although I no longer have any specific memory of it, that the venue included a gratuity on the overall bill, so this entire story isn't directly relevant to the thread.)

Astonishingly, a few years later the marriage failed and the cousin moved in with me for a few months while getting his life back in order. When he remarried in a few more years, the next wedding was at least at an actual properly-rented venue with seats to sit in during the ceremony and food provided by the couple. I did get stuck staffing their gift table/guestbook table on the fly when I showed up, but that was much more reasonable than the time I had to try to split a check 50 ways on the fly, so progress.