New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [MotW] How to follow a teleporting monster

In my Monster of the Week game, the new mystery involves a twist on a Vrykolakas and Boggles, with a small creature that usually hangs around lonely people and steals things from them. If something important is stolen, the person is afflicted with a curse that will eventually lead to an unfortunate, sudden, accidental death, unless the item is recovered. It also secretes an oily substance and can teleport by squeezing through gaps, corners and cracks, or even corners (like where a wall meets a baseboard).

I've already introduced the monster by having it steal a MacGuffin that's in possession of one of the hunters. I think they'll be able to get Investigate enough information and I think they'll be able to figure out that it's weakness is being in a round container (no cracks, gaps, corners).

My worry is that they'll fail on the crucial task to find this creature, without me going too Deus ex Machina.

So, if you were a Hunter (PC), how would you find a teleporting creature?
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [MotW] How to follow a teleporting monster

I'd probably turn to the lore - where does this kind of creature like to lair? Does it have a strong smell or leave a slimy trail? What sort of things does it like to steal? How far can it teleport?
    If I know it likes to steal, can I map recent theft reports (unlikely if it mainly gets low-value items)?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

So, it does leave an oily trail, but it "teleports" by crawling into cracks, corner or seams and folding reality to appear in another such place. So, that's hard to track, I think.
    It normally doesn't have a lair, being one of those "wandering monster" types, but it's being used by an arch to steal objects, and bring the back... on an ethereal plane of existence.

Yikes. I think I need to start Deus ex Machina'ing some facts in. We had a session last night and, even though they know the monster death-curses and steals, they haven't connected stealing and death-cursing, meaning the Hunter who was stolen from is at risk of dying.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Their research into the lore of this creature can lead them to find out that the cache of stolen goods is kept on the ethereal plane. Then, ask them how they would track something on the ethereal plane. If they can't think of anything, my go-to would be to suggest astral projection, but warn them that it might draw attention from other creatures that feed on magic.

Remember the Keeper principles and moves:
    • Principle: Ask questions and build on the answers
    • Move: Offer an opportunity, & maybe a cost

Once they know where the creature is storing the stolen items, they can start to track it. I imagine that the thief would want to check on its horde every now and then or might have more items to add to its collection.

The risk of death to the Hunter should be less than the risk to a normal person unless the Hunter is out of Luck. Be sure to foreshadow things getting worse for the Hunter and make those things about the Hunter.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Some of those items are probably things like cell phones that could be tracked via mundane means, right? It won't give them a perfect bead, but it'll give them a starting point.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.