New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default CentOS vs SUSE vs Redhat

So National Instruments has begun supporting linux distros in earnest, but debian isn't on the list. I use linux mostly to revitalize old computers that balk running any remotely modern windows OS. Being able to run my DAQ cards on linux is too good to pass up, but I have no idea which of the available options (CentOS, SUSE, or Redhat) to use. I mostly just use Mint and am unfamiliar with other distros.

Any thoughts on which I should use? There are a couple computers I'll be installing them on, but basically assume mid-tier consumer PCs from 10-15 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by crayzz
    That a given person is known for his sex appeal does not mean that he is only known for his sex appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jere7my
    For instance, I am also known for my humility.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: CentOS vs SUSE vs Redhat

Redhat - I think this one is rather expensive (includes support).
    CentOS - same as redhat (less some trademarked branding), but free and with no support.
    SUSE - Yet another "enterprise" distribution. Similar to Redhat.

I'd recommend starting with either CentOS or simply trying Fedora (desktop friendly Redhat development system) or OpenSUSE (same for SUSE). I'd expect the rpms will work fine in any of them

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Of the options you listed, CentOS is probably the best option. (Because it's free!) If you end up liking it you can look at RedHat or SUSE.
    Proud 1st edtion player!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    Redhat - I think this one is rather expensive (includes support).
    CentOS - same as redhat (less some trademarked branding), but free and with no support.
    SUSE - Yet another "enterprise" distribution. Similar to Redhat.

I'd recommend starting with either CentOS or simply trying Fedora (desktop friendly Redhat development system) or OpenSUSE (same for SUSE). I'd expect the rpms will work fine in any of them
    I'm somewhat leary of straying from the list, as I've noticed NI's support for an OS is fairly stringent: if they don't support it, it's probably because it just won't work.

That said, I'll probably give Fedora a try first, then CentOS failing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by crayzz
    That a given person is known for his sex appeal does not mean that he is only known for his sex appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jere7my
    For instance, I am also known for my humility.