Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default DC-Marvel Nightmare [CLOSED]

I'm searching for players who have Mutants & Masterminds Second Edition.

The premise?

This is a DC-Marvel hybrid setting centered around a world-wide Sentinel assault. Superhumans are targeted and eliminated at first. Then, world governments are overthrown and replaced by the Sentinel hivemind. The war lasted weeks and many cities were razed. Metropolis, New York, Gotham, Wakanda, Central City. There were no more heroes. No more armies. The Sentinels had won and for the first time in decades hope was lost.

But you remain. Whether arriving from space, another dimension, a hidden civilization, an unscathed wilderness region, or digging free from the ruins of a near-dead city. You remain. Can you unite with other rebels and turn back the Sentinels before there's nothing left to fight for?

Spoiler: 16 Questions
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? M&M 2e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? The ultimate dystopian, grim-dark setting! In a nightmare where superheroes can be killed, your characters must unite and save the world before they get eliminated.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 6-7 players will be accepted to start. If a player drops or their hero is neutralized, new players will be added. Players can create multiple characters in case one is eliminated.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? OOTS play-by-post. I expect the meta-session to last 6-12 months.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? PL12, 180 power points.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? The superheroes have only the cash and possessions they had until the Sentinels recently crashed the global electric grid.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? Superheroes are preferred. Supervillains are ok as long as they work with the heroes. Characters can be player versions of known Marvel or DC superheroes or supervillains or your character can be a unique hero or villain. Your original characters can have a shared background with known Marvel or DC characters or your characters can be completely solo.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Any races or species that makes sense for good gaming.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Point buying.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? No alignment but heroes are expected to defend the law, people and property.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? No.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Players do their own rolls using the forum roller.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. No.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? No. Backgrounds can be any size and I would look for how + why the hero became who they are now. Heroes can be from anywhere.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? Combination of everything but expect deadly action.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? All published material for M&2nd.

Features of the Marvel Universe

DC Universe locations
    Last edited by Vorpal Glaive; 2019-05-23 at 08:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Lucid Nightmare [superheroes actual play]

I have icons, and look forward to playing this game, exciting and totally new.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2019-05-12 at 02:14 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Planetar

I look forward to playing this. system doesn't really matter sicne whatever type of RPG I don't have, one of my friends will probably have it, so Im good to go with whatever we choose. thinking about an "angelic" superhero (kind of a celestial twist on the ghost rider story), but I have a few other ideas (most of them are mystically oriented)

4. - Top - End - #4

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    I have icons, and look forward to playing this game, exciting and totally new.
    One for ICONS. Do you have the original version or "Assembled"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    I look forward to playing this. system doesn't really matter sicne whatever type of RPG I don't have, one of my friends will probably have it, so Im good to go with whatever we choose. thinking about an "angelic" superhero (kind of a celestial twist on the ghost rider story), but I have a few other ideas (most of them are mystically oriented)
    Another vote for ICONS. Based on the setting, your concept would be ideal.

If interested players do not have the above systems, I can help with character creation and rules.
    Last edited by Vorpal Glaive; 2019-05-12 at 07:48 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

M&M 2 I could put to gather an unlikely hero or at least one that is doing this to save his own hide.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal Glaive View Post
    One for ICONS. Do you have the original version or "Assembled"?

Another vote for ICONS. Based on the setting, your concept would be ideal.

If interested players do not have the above systems, I can help with character creation and rules.
    I am working right now, I will get back on which icon, but I believe orginal.

7. - Top - End - #7

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf69 View Post
    M&M 2 I could put to gather an unlikely hero or at least one that is doing this to save his own hide.
    Vote for M&M 2E.
    I am working right now, I will get back on which icon, but I believe orginal.
    Original works.

2 ICONS, 1 M&M 2e. 2-3 players more will probably decide this.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal Glaive View Post
    Vote for M&M 2E.

Original works.

2 ICONS, 1 M&M 2e. 2-3 players more will probably decide this.
    Ok it is this icon
    ogc.rpglibrary.org

Hope that helps

Just downloaded m&m 2 as well.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2019-05-13 at 03:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

GreataxeFighterGuy

Ok it is this icon
    ogc.rpglibrary.org

Hope that helps

Just downloaded m&m 2 as well.
    ICONS or M&M2e, okay.

10. - Top - End - #10

Planetar

Default Re: DC-Marvel Nightmare [Postponed]

From what I saw in the ICONS wiki, your character is determined randomally...so I guess I should first roll the dice, and then make a concept based around the results.

11. - Top - End - #11

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    From what I saw in the ICONS wiki, your character is determined randomally...so I guess I should first roll the dice, and then make a concept based around the results.
    This game is postponed largely due to lack of interest, but, I would allow a point-buy version of character creation. So you can build based on a pre-conceived concept.

Right now I'm debating whether to allow the more welcomed M&M 3e rule set for this. Depends on the response over the next week or so.

Stand by.
    Last edited by Vorpal Glaive; 2019-05-14 at 04:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

If this gets going again I have M&M 2e and Marvel Super Heroes.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I have M&M 2e.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

14. - Top - End - #14

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: DC-Marvel Nightmare [M&M2e]

M&M 2e players welcome. This is a dark setting. If you have questions about it please ask. I will be accepting sheets up to 6/1/19.
    Last edited by Vorpal Glaive; 2019-05-15 at 02:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

So it's M&M 2. How many points ?

16. - Top - End - #16

GreataxeFighterGuy

So it's M&M 2. How many points ?
    Most of everything's in the OP 16.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

How does the hybrid setting affect things like Marvel's civil war, or Hercules & Wonder Woman? Darkseid is a god, how does that affect Thor? Do the Avengers and Justice League both exist, or are they the same group?

Spoiler: Sheet
    Show
    Powers:
    Power Level 12
    Power Points: 180

Abilities:
    Str: 34
    Dex: 10
    Con: 34
    Int: 8
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 8

Attack: +0 (+12 Unarmed, +12 Lightning)
    Defense: +7
    Initiative: +0

Toughness: +12
    Fort: +12
    Reflex: +12
    Will: +12

Skills:
    Computers 4(+2), Drive +4, Sense Motive +4

Feats:
    Power Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Accurate Attack, Attack Specialization: Unarmed/Lightning (12), Ultimate Effort (Toughness, Strength checks), Diehard, Fearless

Powers:
    Protection 5 (Impervious Toughness 17) 22ppts
    Speed 6 (500mph) 6ppts
    Regeneration 6 (Rate 4 [Bruised], Resurrection 2 (1 day), Persistent, Regrowth, Counter: Decapitation, Alternate 4) 12ppts
    -Regeneration 8 (Rate: Injured)
    -Regeneration 8 (Rate: Staggered)
    -Regeneration 8 (Rate: Unconscious)
    -Regeneration 8 (Rate: Disabled)
    Super Strength 12 (6400 tons, Distracting, Groundstrike, Shockwave, Super Breath, Thunderclap, Alternate 4) 20ppts
    -Blast 12 (Electricity, Divine)
    -Earth Control 12 (Divine, Magic, Limited: Opening holes and canyons, 50/100 tons of earth )
    -Nullify 12 (Divine, Counters Magic, Null Field 60ft)
    -Weather Control 12 (Divine, Magic, Hamper Movement [wind and rain])
    Leaping 5 (600/300/150ft) 5ppts
    Immunity 9 (life support) 9ppts

Drawback:

Points: Abilities-44, Combat-14, Saves-24, Skills-3, Feats-21, Powers-74, Drawbacks-

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Melvin Udall was a normal, unremarkable man. He had a boring job working in a shop, he had a plain girlfriend he enjoyed spending time with but neither of them saw it going anywhere, he voted but wasn't interested in politics, he just...existed. Which is why he was chosen. Weapon Plus, under their "legitimate" from CADMUS, called for people to volunteer for medical experiments to "promote wellness and enhanced quality of living for everyone." The pay was good, so Melvin applied, and was inducted into the testing. At first it was...odd. Drink this, take this pill, sit in a chair with an IV hooked up to you for a few hours. He felt mostly the same, until a test result came back and his doctor said is was good news, he was ready for phase two. Signing the form, he had no idea Phase Two means being taken to The World and being locked in an adamantium/vibranium alloy casket so his body could be bombarded by gamma rays, vita rays and raw magical energy.

Needless to say it was...painful, as the various genetic treatments and spells he'd been subjected to reacted to the influx of energy. His body swelled and warped, growing uncontrollably, then shrank back down as the permanence of Asgardian essence and Doomsday's genetic potential for adaptation stabilized the transformation. Removed from the casket, he was taken to surgery, his boned laced with an uru/Nth metal alloy, then engraved with various runes. Later he would undergo several organ transplants as various parts of him, like his heart, liver and spinal chord, were replaced not with gamma-flesh, but cloned demigod tissues. It took several procedures, as his Doom-hulk flesh tried to close the incisions. He remembered waking up in a fugue state, the world around him was hazy and nothing made sense, things kept attacking him and he would try to push them away, all while a booming voice spoke in the distance. Now, he knows this was the attempt at Weapon X reprogramming and the doctors exploring the results of their work, testing his strength. Apparently, he was not what they expected, and was placed in cold storage.

He's not sure exactly how long he was gone, the last date he remembers, the day he signed on for Phase Two, was in the summer of 1992. He woke the day the Sentinels broke the world, and emerged from The World to a changed Earth. He seemed human, at least as far as he could tell, but as time went by he discovered he was far more, and far less. His mind was clouded, his emotions spiked constantly and made careful reasoning difficult, but he learned he'd become one of those costumed people you see on TV. He was strong, stronger than anything should be, and if he focused, he could make his strength...something else. Lightning would spring from his hands, the weather would shift to powerful storms, and the ground seemed to follow his wishes, huge open pits tearing into the earth at a touch whenever he wanted. He didn't know what do do with this power, but he was worried he'd be next on the Sentinel hit list. He needed someone smart who could tell him what he needed to do...

Spoiler: Power Descriptions
    Show
    Melvin may look mostly normal, but the experiments done to him have made him staggeringly powerful. He can run up to five hundred miles per hour, and leap 600 feet at a time. His body generates a kid of field that, when passive, empowers his muscles enough to let him lift 6,400 tons, but if used actively, he can open massive pits and canyons on the earth, nullify magic, or control the weather itself, but most spectacularly, to project lightning from his body. His body repairs itself at high speed, even bringing him back from the dead supposedly, though he has no intention of testing that. The experiments in the World have shown him ways to apply his strength, how to cause shock waves in the ground, and how to compress air in his lungs then expel it at high velocity.
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2019-05-21 at 02:52 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    How does the hybrid setting affect things like Marvel's civil war, or Hercules & Wonder Woman? Darkseid is a god, how does that affect Thor? Do the Avengers and Justice League both exist, or are they the same group?
    Earth-911 (DC-Marvel's Days of Future Past) will absorb as much of the continuity of DC & Marvel comics as possible. But, the Sentinel attack changed everything.

Spoiler: What Most Know
    Show
    1. It was the usual Monday morning. Superman & Capt. America were at a UN ceremony where the JLA & Avengers were being awarded for their committment to freedom. Then a shower of energy from the sky stunned both champions & the Sentinels (at least a hundred) streaked from the sky to attack. Both superheroes suffered very public & horrific executions!

2. For the following week, reports of large groups of Sentinels attacking superhumans flooded the media. Avengers mansion, the Hall of Justice, Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, Gotham, NYC, Metropolis, Wakanda, Latveria, and many other cities protected by superheroes were razed by a relentless Sentinel assault. Even Rykers Island & Belle Reve, "super-max" prisons holding superhuman criminals, were targeted in the onslaught.

3. Later, the Sentinels expanded their campaign of terror to the world, at large, targeting world governments and their armies, which were decimated in days. It was roughly a month later when most media outlets (TV, radio & internet) were disabled. Phone lines, land & cellular, still operate along with electricity, but many of the largest cities on Earth have limited utilities.

4. Sentinels have established bases in major cities around the world and are erecting huge plants where, reportedly, more Sentinels are being constructed. Noted locations are Four Freedoms Plaza in NYC; just outside Gotham City; Metropolis' S.T.A.R. Labs; Wakanda; and a site just north of the Arctic Circle. These locations are heavily-defended by advanced technology, but the Sentinels don't seem to care about human observation as long as it's done at a distance.

5. The Sentinels seem nigh-invulnerable to superhuman powers while being able to disable or kill targets with numerous energy-based attacks. World governments considered a nuclear option, but the Sentinels seem to be purposely staging themselves near large cities to discourage that tactic.

In the absence of global media, a flurry of rumors have emerged regarding various events;

Spoiler: Rumor Mill
    Show
    1. There are conflicting reports of eye-witness accounts suggesting some superhumans were taken captive by the Sentinels. Where these alleged captives were taken and why is unknown. These reports are contradicted by the fact that many superheroes were left slain in the streets for all to see.

2. There are reports a remnant of the world's military community is organizing a combined resistance to the Sentinels at an unknown location, under the guidance of disavowed S.H.I.E.L.D. Col. Nick Fury.

3. It's thought the Sentinels left electricity and phones active allowing them to track communications among resistance forces.

4. Despite LexCorp and Latveria being destroyed by the Sentinels, there are rumors Lex Luthor or Dr. Doom are behind the Sentinel initiative.

5. Surviving superheroes are forming resistance forces in outer space.

6. The Sentinels have a hidden global power-grid on an uncharted Pacific island.

7. The entire series of Sentinel-related events are really an illusion constructed by alien invaders to confuse Earth's superheroes.

8. Players can not only create their own rumors to suit the setting, but players can also create stories related to Marvel or DC continuity that feeds their characters' backstories. I'm open to anything fun. We can decide together how outer-communities like Asgard, Olympus and Themyscria are affected by the Sentinels.

There's never been an endgame like this where Hope is nearly impossible. This setting is a huge sandbox that crosses any dimension within the DC-Marvel multiverse. What is required is that the players use a level of their own knowledge of comics and capable characters to overcome the Sentinel threat.

There's no over-arching plot here. The setting is what it is. The players' characters are the plot. Your ability to coordinate an effective resistance is the only solution. While I will react to your decisions, what you decide is key. There's no railroad here.

I adjusted the PL to 12 with 180 power points.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Superman executed
    Those must be some impressive robots to kill a man who exerts and survives infinite physical force.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

More likely 911's Superman is like, Justice League Unlimited strong.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

let's see with 160 points will it be possible to come up with a character that is close to a werewolf form werewolf the Apoc?

o well, I should have my character up sometime today if possible could I get someone to double check my math?

22. - Top - End - #22

GreataxeFighterGuy

Those must be some impressive robots to kill a man who exerts and survives infinite physical force.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    More likely 911's Superman is like, Justice League Unlimited strong.
    Everyone has a weakness and the Sentinels, given time, will find it. Rhyvurg, thanks for the sheet. Review pending but it looks pretty badass. Looking forward to the complete backstory.
    Last edited by Vorpal Glaive; 2019-05-16 at 10:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

quick question, I know some DMs when it comes to super strength have it as a mandatory when strength is over 5 will this game have that rule as well or not?

24. - Top - End - #24

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf69 View Post
    quick question, I know some DMs when it comes to super strength have it as a mandatory when strength is over 5 will this game have that rule as well or not?
    Strength 5 is 3rd edition. If you mean a STR of 22+, then no.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

(Also, I have run it thought hero lab so things should be good. ) Also looking forward to any ideas for improvements.

Ok time to meet the Hellhound, Clue in Team Fortress 2 music ...

Spoiler: Music
    Show

Spoiler: Abilities
    Show
    Abilities
    30 Str, 20 Dex, 30 Con, 10 Int, 10 Wis, 10 Cha
    +13 attack melee, (DC 25)
    +10 Ranged attack,
    +10 attack bonus,
    +23 grapple
    +12 defence, (24 shrunk - 8 big
    -5 Resist knockback
    10 toughness,
    +10 Fortitude, +10 reflex,+10 will
    532lbs/1.1k/16k/3.2 k/4 tons

Medium size +5 init
    Skills
    +10 climb
    +5 escape artist
    +12 gather info
    +16 computer use
    +8 Craft elect
    +8 Craft machanical
    +8 knowledge tech
    +8 Knowledge tactics
    +12 disable device
    +12 gather info
    +13 stealth
    +10 swim.

Feats
    Attack Focus: (melee) 3
    Fearless, Inventor

powers
    Device 19 (Assassination suit)
    Free Device, Hard to lose
    ->animal control 6 will DC 16 limited insects mental link
    ->immunity 16 EMP, life support, poison, disease.
    ->Plasma control 12 range 120ft DC 27
    ALT Burrowing 1 1mph 8.8ft
    ALT Disintegration 5 50ft DC 20
    ALTFlight 4 880ft 100mlp
    Shrinking 20
    -5 size categories, normal abilities, Microverse, Atomic size
    ALT Groth 13
    +26 Str +13 Con +3 Size
    Summon 2 (Narrow insects, Limited insects.)

regeneration 30
    (recovery bonus 15, recovery disable 8, recovery injured 6, Resurrection 1, persistent, regrowth.)

Shapeshift 1 (limited)

Super-senses 4 (Darkvision, sent, ultra hearing)

180/180pp

Spoiler: backstory
    Show

Backstory.
    Born to an ancient 12 clan of werewolves that have been battling vampires thought human history, In the shadows. Some say refer to them as the foot soldiers of Gaia.

He is a Glass Walker, and one of the warrior elite. Once the hackers and the spies find their prey, he is brought in to finish the hunt and make the kill. He was trained to be a pure warrior. but times change he is no sluch in how the clan fights. tech and infomation are the new tools of war. and haveing all of them assult a vampire nest in the new assassination suits. Are makeing a dent in the local vampire population. As well as keeping an eye in there human thralls.

Robert also code-named Hell Hound. Is in his early thirties. But is in a very complex relationship with the rest of his pack of all female werewolves. (If the DM wants to use them as plot devices just PM me and i will send detals on them.)

When he first learned of this mess he was in his Condo. With his pack. Sleeping off the previous night's party celebrating the successful assassination of 7 vampires belonging to the Pentax corporation and stealing data on new targets. As well as up dated maps showing the territories of the vampire houses. When they finally got news of what was going on. With the mess going on the clan as ordered that his pack go dark and move into safe houses and monitor the situation. The packs Alpha and Bata (Lykina and Lunara) came to an agreement.

He is 6.1 with a muscular build weighing in at 220 Lbs. reddish hair looks like he needs a shave. mostly wearing a trench coat and a suit. With the ability to will turn into a nine 9.1ft killing machine that looks like a highbred of wolf and man. Normally that is something reserved for his victims.

But times have changed and so has the means of the hunt. Now the clan focus more on hacking tech and spycraft. And the newest assassination equipment. Is a thing of vampires nightmares as it allows the user to shrink and grow the user as well use insects and cleans the area with plasma. Leavening no trace of the victim or evidence at the crime. Other then the total disintegration of the area.
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2019-05-18 at 09:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Query, did the 16 always say PL 12? Because I would swear on a stack of Bibles it said 10 before.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Query, did the 16 always say PL 12? Because I would swear on a stack of Bibles it said 10 before.
    I can back you up on that remembrance.

28. - Top - End - #28

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I can back you up on that remembrance.
    Changed it with post #18. Should I lower it?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I'm fine with it either way, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Okay, added some tricks to my build to reflect his amalgamated heritage.
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2019-05-16 at 06:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Is it me or given that I just looked at Rhyvurg sheet should I consider something other than a walking tank-like character.