New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Which Dilettante power for a battlemind?

I'll soon start playing with a Half-Elf Harrier Battlemind strong in Constitution and Charisma. I have a pretty well-rounded idea of the character except for what to choose as his Dilettante power. There are just too many options and I know too little about all the powers out there. DM allowed all classes and supplements, even Dragon Magazine, so there are even more options to choose from.

That was my most urgent question :) Another thing I don't get is why there are next to no minor actions for battleminds (the only one I think my character will be getting is Battlemind's Demand)? I get that the battlemind power system is based on power points, but still, next to no minor actions - am I missing something? Is the idea that a battlemind frequently trades his minor action for another move action?

Another question: why is Wisdom considered a key attribute for battleminds?
    "Becoming conscious of racism does not mean you are a racist."
    ― Auliq Ice

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Which Dilettante power for a battlemind?

My top suggestion for a dilettante in that case is eldritch strike, it covers one of the biggest gaps in the battlemind, which is the lack of a good melee basic attack. You might also look to patch up some other hole in your attack types with something like a ranged or close blast attack. There are plenty of those in classes like warlock or sorcerer. You might also look to pick up a leadery sort of attack, direct the strike from Warlord is almost never a bad choice, for example. I could probably find more specific suggestions if you gave an idea of what sort of thing you'd want out of the attack.

Many classes don't get a ton of minor action attacks, that's mostly the territory of strikers. Leaders get minor action heals, but only a couple of times a combat. Defenders and controllers often get less than the others (though there are still definitely options). Most of your minor actions probably will be battlemind's demand at first, what good is a defender that doesn't mark? But as you level up, there are a lot of minor action utilities for battleminds.

As a side note, you can't trade a minor action for a move. The hierarchy is standard > move > minor. You can trade down, but not up.

Wisdom is a secondary ability for some battleminds. If you look closely into their abilities, their attacks are always based on Con, but many have riders based on either wisdom or charisma. There are a few more for charisma, I believe, but there's options either way. I suggest looking through the powers you like and picking either cha or wis to focus on as a secondary ability based on the ones you like the best. You might want a modest score in the other, but mostly it doesn't pay to try to raise them both. You want to do that with Con and whatever single secondary stat you like best.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I mostly agree with dariathalon.

Eldritch Strike is a good choice, but it's really the choice when you hit level 11 and can make it a true At Will. Before then, it's good, but you're going to need Melee Training (or, if you're a weird CON|INT build, MC Swordmage and take Intelligent Blademaster), because without a good MBA, your enemies can just walk away from you with no real threat of an OA.

As for Minors- you're going to mark fairly often, and if you're not, you'll have minor action Utilities within a few levels.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I can third the recommendation for Eldritch Strike.

Minor actions can come from utilities, hybrids, and items. My Battlemind|Artificer hybrid has minor actions to...
    Promise of Storm (Genasi racial power)
    Wolf Shape (werewolf theme)
    Icebound Sigil (Artificer Daily)
    Healing Infusion (Artificer encounter heal)
    Tempest Whetstone (emergency minion clearing tool)
    Frozen Whetstone ("i have a free minor and want a little more damage")
    Blood Apricot ("I have 13 surges and no way to spend them on my own")
    Syllable of Grace ("Gotta go fast")
    Elven Battle Armor (randomly rolled loot, also gotta go fast)
    Incisive Dagger (teleport)
    Staff of Resilience (gotta tank up)

Oh, and technically Battlemind's Demand, but I don't have Mind Spike because I have Lightning Rush, so that doesn't really get used.

The first two are race/theme features, the third and fourth are from my hybrid, and after that it's all various minor action items.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I agree with everyone that Eldritch Strike should absolutely be the choice from level 11 onward when you can get Versatile Master (retrain Melee Training?). That leaves the question of what it should be from levels 1-9/10 (if not Eldritch Strike, it's likely best to retrain to Eldritch Strike at level 10 in preparation for retraining to Versatile Master at level 11).

Since you say you're "strong in Constitution and Charisma", I think you're best off picking up one of the Ardent's or Paladin's At-Will attacks, and there are good cases to be made for Demoralizing Strike, Energizing Strike, Focusing Strike, Impetuous Ruin, and Wave of Fatigue from Ardent, or Enfeebling Strike or Ardent Strike from Paladin. Of note, I'm specifically avoiding Implement attacks because I don't think it's worthwhile for you to invest in an implement alongside your weapon. If you're wondering why I don't mention any Bard options, it's because Guiding Strike is strictly worse than Demoralizing Strike and War Song Strike is mostly worse than Energizing Strike.

I think the most powerful option in a vacuum is Demoralizing Strike. The best defender support options are Ardent Strike or Impetuous Ruin. I would only pick one of the others if I were looking to fill a gap in the party.

If you are willing to support an implement, I think the best option is Dark Beckoning, with consideration also given to Cutting Words, Burning Spray, Blazing Starfall, and Echoing Dirge.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iksilak View Post
    why is Wisdom considered a key attribute for battleminds?
    Every other class has a choice of secondary stat, so battlemind must as well. I think Wisdom was chosen because it too increases Will, and a class described as psionic should have good Will. *shrug*

The fluff I've seen for battleminds emphasizes Charisma more than it does Constitution, honestly, and much more than it emphasizes Wisdom. Since the battlemind bears a fair bit of resemblance to the 3.X warblade, I feel Int would've been a better choice than Wis. That would also allow a light-armor variant for the class.

Another thing I don't get is why there are next to no minor actions for battleminds ...
    They have about the usual percentage of minor-action utilities. It's mostly strikers and leaders who have minor-action options right from level 1.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Every other class has a choice of secondary stat, so battlemind must as well. I think Wisdom was chosen because it too increases Will, and a class described as psionic should have good Will. *shrug*
    Fluff-wise, I think it's because there's supposed to be a stoicism intended by the Resilient Battlemind, since that build is all about transforming your body via polymorph effects to become super durable (lots of damage reduction). WIS represents self-knowledge and ability to impress your will upon your own body rather than the ability to impress your will upon the world. I've always felt that WIS makes sense from that perspective.

Battlemind was always a really weirdly fluffed class, though. It never really felt particularly consistent, turning into every possible variation of "fighter with psionics". It still seems weird to me that it uses CON as an attack stat rather than a mental one.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Since the battlemind bears a fair bit of resemblance to the 3.X warblade, I feel Int would've been a better choice than Wis. That would also allow a light-armor variant for the class.
    Honestly, Int and Dex battleminds work just as well as Wis and Cha. Sure, they dont get as much free stuff from the class features, but there's plenty of powers that are riderless or where the important augment doesn't have a stat dependency (Lodestone Lure, Lightning Rush, Brutal Barrage). It makes them very easy to hybrid (I've seen Warlock, Rogue, Swordmage, Artificer, and have even poked at Wizard). It helps that Con/Int and Con/Dex have great racial support (Genasi and Revenant respectively)

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm, I was planning on Melee Training (Constitution) to get a good melee basic attack, as my constitution starts at 16. Would Eldritch Strike still be a good choice then?
    ― Auliq Ice

10. - Top - End - #10

Hmm, I was planning on Melee Training (Constitution) to get a good melee basic attack, as my constitution starts at 16. Would Eldritch Strike still be a good choice then?
    One of the really good aspects of Eldritch Strike is that you get a slide, and having a slide means Flail Expertise prones. Alhulak is a +3 proficiency, 1d8 weapon. So you get an OA and hit, your target stops moving and is at a -2 to hit things at best, because they've already spent at least a move action.

There are ways to duplicate that, say with a Lightning Weapon and Mark of Storm or MC'ing a Martial Class and picking up Lashing Flail in Paragon or MC'ing for Ki Focuses and picking up an Abduction Ki Focus. But that's kind of weighing what's the benefits in comparison.

Also, why is your Constitution starting at 16 for Melee Training. It is kind of difficult to avoid at least one 18, even if you're picking a non-Con-based race...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say it depends on your teammates and your DM. If the DM's monsters don't provoke by moving or making ranged attacks, and if you're not teamed up with someone who grants MBAs, then I'd suggest eldritch strike without Melee Training. If you'll be throwing MBAs right and left, then eldritch strike won't help much unless you've specificially built for it. Some, but not much -- maybe not as much as a completely different ability would. Can you tell us what your allies are like?

I'll echo MwaO in saying that your Constitution looks kinda low for a half-elf battlemind. I'm guessing you've spread your stat points more evenly? That may represent your character concept better and feel more satisfying outside combat, but that battlemind won't seem very good at battle. I do recommend starting with an 18 (after racial mods) in your main attack stat. It'll really pay off in combat effectiveness.

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Right, it's an immersion-heavy group/DM and most of the other characters aren't optimized builds either, with skills based on dice throws, so it should even out. At least I hope so.

I don't suppose I will use MBAs that much. We got some damage-heavy striker, a healer, another tank (built like a brick wall) and a ranger, so I think I will try to be a defender that specializes in getting enemies off the others' back, with powers like Twisted Eye and Bull's Strength. On lvl 3 I want to get Lodestone Lure, on 5, Nightmare Vortex. So lots of Telekinesis and sliding enemies around, paralyzing them and knocking them prone, that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    As a side note, you can't trade a minor action for a move. The hierarchy is standard > move > minor. You can trade down, but not up.
    Oh my god, you're right of course
    Last edited by Iksilak; 2019-05-11 at 02:09 PM.
    ― Auliq Ice

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Then I'd recommend echoing dirge bardwarlock power (Heroes of Shadow p.76). It uses Charisma, targeting two creatures that can be pretty far from each other, without provoking attacks, for damage and push2. Pretty handy if you want to peel enemies off your allies.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-05-11 at 02:17 PM.

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Then I'd recommend echoing dirge bardwarlock power (Heroes of Shadow p.76). It uses Charisma, targeting two creatures that can be pretty far from each other, without provoking attacks, for damage and push2. Pretty handy if you want to peel enemies off your allies.
    Looks really good :) Can't find it in Character Builder (offline version)*, but got the stats anyway & if I choose it, I can just note it down by hand. Hmm, implement-based. Never played a magic user in 4e - does it mean I need an implement to use the power?

*EDIT: Just updated CB with CBLoader but still no Echoing Dirge, oh well.

EDIT EDIT: Implements were optional IIRC. So basically I shouldn't need one for Echoing Dirge. Say I as a battlemind would get my hands on an implement, could I still use it and improve Echoing Dirge with it, or are implements class-specific? (Don't think I will, just theorizing here.)
    Last edited by Iksilak; 2019-05-11 at 05:48 PM.
    ― Auliq Ice

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

You don't need an implement, no. If you had a magical implement AND training in that kind of implement (rod, wand, ki focus, orb, whatever), then your attack and damage rolls would be better for echoing dirge. Per the most recent rules, it doesn't matter which implement as long as you're trained.

Battleminds, of course, don't start with implement training. The simplest way to get it is either by multiclassing into a class that does. Ideally, in this situation, you'd pick a class that gets hands-free implements (ki focus, holy symbol) or weapons-as-implements, so both your hands can hold instruments of war. Second simplest is by taking of the few Themes that grants implement training.

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you, Dimers! :)
    ― Auliq Ice

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yes. In addition to giving a slide and full damage on an attack you can exchange melee training for versatile master at level 11 and never look back.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

I just discovered the Psion 1st Level abilities They might be a good choice too. Something like Force Punch or Memory Hole. Unfortunate that psi-based classes have so few Focus Points while fights in 4e tend to take so many rounds :)
    ― Auliq Ice

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I just discovered the Psion 1st Level abilities They might be a good choice too. Something like Force Punch or Memory Hole. Unfortunate that psi-based classes have so few Focus Points while fights in 4e tend to take so many rounds :)
    They actually have enough to use full augments like any other class uses encounter powers. Which means if you get VERY efficient if you get something like Brutal Barrage that can be spammed at augment 1.

Also, a Dilettanted augmentable power loses the augmentable keyword.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

20. - Top - End - #20

Chimera

Eldritch Blast is my vote. It’s such a nice ranged option when you suck with a bow.... because your stats just do NOT line up for ranged weapons. Plus, it’s not necessary to make it at will, since it’s more of a side option for when you can’t move+charge... or more accurately (in every sense), when you move and don’t get to trigger Lightning Rush to get stuck in.. I find I enjoy Dilettante the most when I don’t feel obligated to make it at will. More feats for class stuff!
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-05-22 at 12:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Different question on the famous power Lightning Rush (which is of course not a Dilettante power, but a standard Battlemind one):

At-Will Augmentable, Psionic, Weapon

Immediate Interrupt Melee 1

Trigger: An enemy within 5 squares of you targets an ally with an attack

Effect: Before the attack, you move your speed to a square adjacent to the triggering enemy.

Target: The triggering enemy

Attack: Constitution vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + Constitution modifier damage.
    Effect: You don’t get your normal standard action on your next turn.
    I wonder what happens when there's obstacles between the user and the triggering enemy, say, an army of other enemies. The power says nothing about the user being able to move through them, nor to ignore their opportunity attacks when you try to walk around them (or that it would grant a bonus to OAs). So basically, do obstacles that would make it impossible to reach the enemy, even if he is within 5 squares of you, render this power useless?
    ― Auliq Ice

22. - Top - End - #22

BardGuy

Another consideration on use of Eldritch strike for Heroic Battleminds is your GM's roleplaying.
    If an enemy triggers an opportunity attack and ends up lying down due to flail expertise, they may be inclined to make sure they don't give any more opportunities. That requires a GM to think more about character knowledge than some will do

Also, Eldritch Strike and Twisted Eye combined will give basic attacks which hit harder and I think it's fair to say it's an unusual campaign/DM where you will run out of PP and have to use a poor strength based attack. The daily "Steel Unity Strike" can also cover some of this for you
    Also, the 1/2 con damage and no riders or conditions of your Melee trained MBA is hardly terrifying and has the "opportunity cost" of using your interrupt for the round.
    Last edited by Duff; 2019-06-30 at 10:42 PM.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

23. - Top - End - #23

Different question on the famous power Lightning Rush (which is of course not a Dilettante power, but a standard Battlemind one):

I wonder what happens when there's obstacles between the user and the triggering enemy, say, an army of other enemies. The power says nothing about the user being able to move through them, nor to ignore their opportunity attacks when you try to walk around them (or that it would grant a bonus to OAs). So basically, do obstacles that would make it impossible to reach the enemy, even if he is within 5 squares of you, render this power useless?
    It's definitely an issue. Obstacles are relatively unusual, because of the variety of ways you can move, and if they are an issue, you'd probably have difficulty getting there on your turn, anyways. Other enemies are also a problem, but keep in mind that you can only make one Immediate attack per round anyways- someone will likely trigger Lightning Rush who you can reach if there are lots of enemies, and by the time there aren't lots of enemies, you can get to the ones who are left.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I actually provoke OAs pretty often with Lightning Rush. A lot of the time, the other enemies will be marked by some other defender, and I'll be walking around with big anti-OA defenses from things like Living Fortress and Heavy Blade Expertise.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

+100 to Eldritch Strike.

Battleminds are VERY mobile. You'll be able to get around the battlefield with the right power selection. Range powers are nice, but they won't see much use.

Eldritch Strike? It's not just good, it's OMFG good.

An enemy within 5 squares of you uses a ranged attack on an ally?
    Lightning Rush as an Immediate Interrupt.
    Oh, he's now standing beside you trying to do a ranged attack?
    Eldritch Strike as an opportunity attack. Slide him next to the other defender.
    Oh, he's now standing beside the other defender trying to do a ranged attack? He'll get an opp attack, too. Bonus points if your Eldritch Strike knocks them prone, so they'll be at -2 for the attack. Double bonus points if the defender is a Fighter who gets to mark them, for another -2 to the attack.

Eldritch Strike strikes fear into the heart of the enemies. A ranged attack that'll push a couple of them away? Meh.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    An enemy within 5 squares of you uses a ranged attack on an ally?
    Lightning Rush as an Immediate Interrupt.
    Oh, he's now standing beside you trying to do a ranged attack?
    Eldritch Strike as an opportunity attack. Slide him next to the other defender.
    Oh, he's now standing beside the other defender trying to do a ranged attack? He'll get an opp attack, too. Bonus points if your Eldritch Strike knocks them prone, so they'll be at -2 for the attack. Double bonus points if the defender is a Fighter who gets to mark them, for another -2 to the attack.
    You left out the most important part. Now they are adjacent to the fighter, marked by the fighter, and attacking not-the-fighter, so the fighter gets to slap them with combat challenge.

One of the silliest fights I saw was a level 16 fight where an enemy elite got immobilized, so it made an improvised RBA. It got lightning rushed and eldritch stuck by the battlemind|warlock, who bounced it to a mark of storm fighter who OAed and combat challenged it and passed it to the half elf bard who did Couplet of Deceptive Weakness to let the battlemind|warlock come back up and stab it again, then OAed with their own dilettante ES and bounced it to someone else who had a reaction attack they could trigger followed by an OA with forced movement that then slid it into the wizard's dragonhawk mount who took the OA and claimed the kill.

in total, we killed an elite brute from full HP on its own turn because it made an improvised RBA. Melee monsters who are immobilized now just take total defense.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

27. - Top - End - #27

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    . Melee monsters who are immobilized now just take total defense.
    This is why your DM's roleplaying approach is part of how your defender works
    Last edited by Duff; 2019-07-17 at 09:50 PM.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    This is why your DM's roleplaying approach is part of how your defender works
    If anything, the DM's "roleplaying approach" is nerfing how your defender works.

Unless parties with a lightning-trip-switch like the PCs are well known or common, the immobilized monsters suddenly taking total defence because unrelated creatures elsewhere in the world ran into a trap seems pretty questionable.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Oh, he's now standing beside the other defender trying to do a ranged attack? He'll get an opp attack, too. Bonus points if your Eldritch Strike knocks them prone, so they'll be at -2 for the attack.
    Hu, interesting. Why would sliding an enemy knock them prone? I guess a weapon with that ability would do that - sliding itself does not contain a chance to knock them prone, right?
    ― Auliq Ice

30. - Top - End - #30

Hu, interesting. Why would sliding an enemy knock them prone? I guess a weapon with that ability would do that - sliding itself does not contain a chance to knock them prone, right?
    Discussed earlier in the thread. Using a flail (preferably an Alhulak, which is the equivalent of a longsword for flails), Flail Expertise (in addition to the bonuses, when you hit with a melee attack that slides, knock them prone instead). Maybe then Dragging Flail (Dex 15, fighter)- whenever you use a flail to knock an enemy prone, slide them 1, to add a slide back in.