New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Final Fantasy 7 Remake Trailer.

This is known as a Teaser Trailer for we are being teased. Look at Biggs and his Glow Up.

Spoiler: Some Avalanche images
    Show

No wonder why Luke wanted to head out to Tosche Station to get his "hands onto" some "power converters."

Also Jesse is hot, plus Barret is a mighty fine daddy.

Notice the Chest hair.

Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-05-09 at 10:22 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Final Fantasy 7 Remake Trailer.

Is it still being released episodically? If that's the case, that's an adequate teaser for the trailer for the demo of disk 1 of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it still being released episodically? If that's the case, that's an adequate teaser for the trailer for the demo of disk 1 of the game.
    Half Life 3, George RR Martin's books, or FF7 remake...which will drop first?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I look forward to playing it in 2035. It will help keep me busy while I wait for Kingdom Hearts 4.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

The gameplay looks...ok? I'm probably in the minority, but I don't have enough nostalgia for FFVII to buy it unless the gameplay is actually very good. We already know the entire plot after all minus a few wrinkles they might throw in. I fully expect them to include a way to save or resurrect Aeris in the finished product, so that might be new.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I had written this off - another cruel, beautiful lie that had quietly evaporated into vapour and would never be heard of again except only as a punchline, like Duke Nukem Forever or Half-Life 3.

And then those first notes of music in the trailer sent a shiver down my spine and brought up goosebumps on my arm. God help me, but I want to believe....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Half Life 3, George RR Martin's books, or FF7 remake...which will drop first?
    The Elder Scrolls VI? WarCraft IV?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-05-10 at 04:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I'm hoping this turns into another Square Enix vaporware project that eventually falls through and it gets restarted as a real proper remake. Not this over the shoulder Crisis Core BS.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I'm hoping this turns into another Square Enix vaporware project that eventually falls through and it gets restarted as a real proper remake. Not this over the shoulder Crisis Core BS.
    As much as I wouldn't mind another ATB game, I understand that audiences in general are hankering for something different these days.

I'm one of the maniacs who wants to see another game with the FFX battle system. Hell, I'd love to see that system with notations that tell me exactly how many times I can do quick hit and why!
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I'm more worried that the writing for FF7R will resemble Crisis Core's more than the gameplay, myself.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

As much as I wouldn't mind another ATB game, I understand that audiences in general are hankering for something different these days.

I'm one of the maniacs who wants to see another game with the FFX battle system. Hell, I'd love to see that system with notations that tell me exactly how many times I can do quick hit and why!
    The idea that audiences are tired of turn based system really has no bearing in reality. Look at the all the money the Bravely series and Octopath traveler made. And it wouldn't even need to be a carbon copy of the ATB system, I'm sure there are some quality of life upgrades and new ideas to put in without changing to be a totally unrecognizable game. Also the FFX system was fine, I'm not sure why it gets so much crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    I'm more worried that the writing for FF7R will resemble Crisis Core's more than the gameplay, myself.
    ...this is also a concern. The writing has not been on point from Square in something like a decade. XII is the last game I can think of that had a real plot.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

The idea that audiences are tired of turn based system really has no bearing in reality. Look at the all the money the Bravely series and Octopath traveler made. And it wouldn't even need to be a carbon copy of the ATB system, I'm sure there are some quality of life upgrades and new ideas to put in without changing to be a totally unrecognizable game. Also the FFX system was fine, I'm not sure why it gets so much crap.

...this is also a concern. The writing has not been on point from Square in something like a decade. XII is the last game I can think of that had a real plot.
    The impression I got from word of mouth and light review skimming of Octopath and Bravely was that they were very "eh, with an upward inflection". I think the real turn-based money these days is in Persona. Though again, this is just from the news that I ended up reading.

Thanks for siding with FFX. I just get giddy when I can see nothing but Tiduses and Rikkus for the next 20 turns. It makes me feel like I'm kicking logistical ass!

I'm also worried about the writing. I thought FFXV's plot was ...okay for what it was*, but in terms of dialogue, not many lines left a positive impression. The exchanges that did stay with me were cringe-inducing.

*Incoherent plot crap that's vaguely foreshadowed in tertiary texts sorta helps things seem 'magical', but Squeenix annoyed me when they hid half of the plot in DLCs, some of which we'll never get.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

The impression I got from word of mouth and light review skimming of Octopath and Bravely was that they were very "eh, with an upward inflection". I think the real turn-based money these days is in Persona. Though again, this is just from the news that I ended up reading.
    The games sold well, even if Octopath wasn't as critically popular. And yea there is also the Persona series making big money and Dragon Quest still having a massive audience. Like, there is absolutely a market for turn based RPGs still and that market is the one that also happens to be final fantasy fans. Given the name I'm sure the re imagining will still sell well, XIII managed to move copies and that game was pure garbage, but I won't be buying it.

I'm also worried about the writing. I thought FFXV's plot was ...okay for what it was*, but in terms of dialogue, not many lines left a positive impression. The exchanges that did stay with me were cringe-inducing.

*Incoherent plot crap that's vaguely foreshadowed in tertiary texts sorta helps things seem 'magical', but Squeenix annoyed me when they hid half of the plot in DLCs, some of which we'll never get.
    XV sold me on a plot about a group of bros bonding on a road trip, that was decidedly not what we actually got. But I suppose a game can only get reworked so many times in a single development period before it loses any real consistency of identity.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2019-05-10 at 01:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for siding with FFX. I just get giddy when I can see nothing but Tiduses and Rikkus for the next 20 turns. It makes me feel like I'm kicking logistical ass!
    I do think FFX had the so far best combat system in the FF serie.
    So its honestly a shame it was also the last turnbased one. It was really the hight of the serie. Everything after seemed like waste of disk space.
    And i guess the turnbased crowd just isnt big enough, compared to the casual one they can draw in with a action rpg?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And i guess the turnbased crowd just isnt big enough, compared to the casual one they can draw in with a action rpg?
    There isn't much evidence to support that, but the FF side of SE has very obviously been assuming it for quite some time now. This is why they've included trainers in so many of their re-releases - they honestly seem to think that everybody has always hated the gameplay. The fact that their turn-based games are easily keeping pace with the non-turn-based FF games in sales and critical reception doesn't seem to have dented the notion.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Shouldn't this be in the Gaming (Other) forum with all the rest of the video game stuff?

Anyway, not entirely sure whether I'm interested in this. On the one hand, Final Fantasy doesn't have a great track record of games I like personally, and that includes FF7, which I only got partway through before losing interest (and distinctively recall disliking all of the random mini-games that kept popping up). On the other hand, they are making it look pretty good, and I do like that they've changed the combat system away from the ATB one they saddled so many of the series' titles with, which I dislike. But then there's the issue of it being released in multiple parts, which is pretty sketchy I'd say.

I don't know, it's very much in "maybe" territory for me, depending on what it actually looks like and costs once it's out, I think.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #17

Flumph

As far as I'm aware this is still planned to be episodic.

So chances are episode 1 will sell really well, 2 will do okay but "not meet expectations" and episode 3 will be a web novel that makes disc 2 of Xenogears feel interactive.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I think the only thing released in episodes that worked out well was DOOM, and IIRC, it was done that way to sidestep issues with retailers stocking the game.

Does anyone have any instances of an episodic release turning out well?

19. - Top - End - #19

Flumph

I think the only thing released in episodes that worked out well was DOOM, and IIRC, it was done that way to sidestep issues with retailers stocking the game.

Does anyone have any instances of an episodic release turning out well?
    Doom wasn't released in episodes.

It contained episodes, but it was all released as one product with episode 1 being given away for free, which was a relatively common promotional model at the time (Shareware).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Put me firmly in the camp that thinks it's time to let the ATB system die in a fire and never look back. Pressing the X button to attack while ignoring all of the other abilities for 40 hours straight is not "tactical" or "engaging" in any sense. Maybe someone could make a game with an ATB system that's actually tactically challenging one day, but they haven't so far. It's the type of thing that was appealing because we were little kids that were bad at games and it made us feel competent even though it's almost literally impossible to lose. It absolutely does not hold up anymore. Especially for a game where the target audience is presumably young adults that played the original.

XV sold me on a plot about a group of bros bonding on a road trip, that was decidedly not what we actually got. But I suppose a game can only get reworked so many times in a single development period before it loses any real consistency of identity.
    How was it not what we got? If anything it was the only part of the plot that was worth anything at all.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    How was it not what we got? If anything it was the only part of the plot that was worth anything at all.
    That portion of the game was way to short and felt rushed by all the other god awful not as good plot stuff.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Put me firmly in the camp that thinks it's time to let the ATB system die in a fire and never look back. Pressing the X button to attack while ignoring all of the other abilities for 40 hours straight is not "tactical" or "engaging" in any sense. Maybe someone could make a game with an ATB system that's actually tactically challenging one day, but they haven't so far. It's the type of thing that was appealing because we were little kids that were bad at games and it made us feel competent even though it's almost literally impossible to lose. It absolutely does not hold up anymore. Especially for a game where the target audience is presumably young adults that played the original.
    If you're off the belief that you could just mash X without thought and get through FFVII fine, I have to assume you never actually played the game. There were plenty of fights where that would just get you killed.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    If you're off the belief that you could just mash X without thought and get through FFVII fine, I have to assume you never actually played the game. There were plenty of fights where that would just get you killed.
    Sorry to tell you, but I and everyone else in the universe have actually played FFVII. It's about as difficult as Pokemon Red against the computer. Which is to say it's designed to challenge small children and that's it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I'm seconding the "why isn't this in gaming?" notion...

The trailer looks pretty enough. I guess I have a lot of time left to decide whether or not to buy it once I'm in retirement in the 2050s. And that's the best time to dwell in nostalgia! (Maybe that's SE's plan) (Also, I don't have that much nostalgia for VII, I think I played it in my early twenties, years after it was new)

Sorry to tell you, but I and everyone else in the universe have actually played FFVII. It's about as difficult as Pokemon Red against the computer. Which is to say it's designed to challenge small children and that's it.
    Honestly, I hate this argument, especially how often people bring it up against XIII. I feel after the "grind to win" era of the first games the difficulty has remained pretty much the same across FF games with some bumps and dips and the occasional harder section (I cannot speak about XI, XIV and XV I'll admit). None of these games are meant to be Dark Souls, but also one can be beaten by a brain dead chimp, unless they grind to win by pure strength. Some require a little more thought and none too much, the spread isn't that big, unless you consider super bosses.
    Last edited by Kato; 2019-05-11 at 05:00 AM.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Also, there are games that have very much defeated the "basic attack every battle except boss battles" problem - Octopath Traveler being one of them.

My main beef with FFX's combat was that experience isn't shared among the party. Every battle devolved into working out how to let every party member cherry tap the monster so they can get the XP, and it got old fast. When it came to real battles, the system worked fantastically.

On FF7R itself, I'm tentatively interested as one of the few people who never played FF7. Didn't have a PS1 when it first came out, and when I did have an opportunity to play it I had just put several hundred hours into FFX and I was all Final Fantasied out. If they actually stick to the original plot so I can experience it and manage to make the gameplay acceptable...sure.

26. - Top - End - #26

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Also, there are games that have very much defeated the "basic attack every battle except boss battles" problem - Octopath Traveler being one of them.
    The "just do basic attacks" problem mostly became a problem in FF games because in most of them there's a rough balance between the amount of damage you can do with magic and basic attacks, but magic cost a resource and basic attacks didn't.

FFIV was a notable exception, for most of the game a caster exploiting an elemental weakness was much more effective than hitting things with swords.

Octopath is mostly a low-stakes version of the Press Turn system from SMT/Persona. If you want a system which really really doesn't let you get away with just using basic attacks, get you some Persona 5.

(Get Persona 5 anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Kato
    Honestly, I hate this argument, especially how often people bring it up against XIII.
    XIII had its own raft of mechanical problems. Mostly it was that for about 3/4 of the game you have a restricted set of roles available and the system absolutely falls apart if you don't have close to the full role palette, because every battle has a puzzle-like solution to optimise your victory, and with fewer roles there just can't be many possible solutions to those puzzles.

There were only about three or four battles in the game where you are actually playing it the way it is supposed to be played, setting up your paradigm deck and switching regularly (When FF13's system works you should be making about as many paradigm shifts as you would make battle inputs in a normal game, but only the endgame superbosses really require it).

FFXIII-2 did better because you got the whole role palette very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros
    Put me firmly in the camp that thinks it's time to let the ATB system die in a fire and never look back. Pressing the X button to attack while ignoring all of the other abilities for 40 hours straight is not "tactical" or "engaging" in any sense.
    This isn't really a necessary criticism of ATB itself, but of the systemic circumstances it tends to arise in.

FFX-2 has the best version of the ATB system, with varying time costs for different abilities, some putting the ATB delay before the ability fires and some afterwards, etc.

It's also rarely the right thing to do to just attack (and some classes can't even do it), and seriously high enemy damage output is common.

Sadly its systemic advantages are married to the cheesiest cheese that ever cheesed.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So likely to be initially exclusive to the PS but later released on the PC any chance of there being a xbox version?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    So likely to be initially exclusive to the PS but later released on the PC any chance of there being a xbox version?
    Unless Sony funded it, I don't see any reason why not. Final Fantasy games have been multi-platform releases on both Playstation and X-Box ever since 13, as far as I'm aware.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is this the Final Fantasy where the protagonist is super flamboyant and wields and improbable weapon? Or is that all of them?

30. - Top - End - #30

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Is this the Final Fantasy where the protagonist is super flamboyant and wields and improbable weapon? Or is that all of them?
    You know, thinking about it I don't think that's any of them

Some Final Fantasy protagonists wield improbable weapons, and some are super flamboyant, but not at the same time.

Cloud, for instance, is a blatant copy loving tribute to Guts with an improbably sized sword and rough demeanour, but he's rather staid in his presentation.

Whereas Tidus is the star of the Zanarkand catwalk but has a fairly standard set of swords.