Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Welcome to Phoenix Academy [Masks] [Closed to New Applicants]

Halcyon City is a city of the strange and the fantastic, of monsters and myths-a city filled with superheroes. During the 70s, a school was created to train young metahumans into becoming the superheroes of the future.

However, 15 years ago a horrific attack on the school forced it to shut it's doors, seemingly for good, after the death of it's Co-Headmasters.

However, like the Phoenix itself, this school has arrisen from the ashes and reopened it's doors, with new teachers and a new class of students.

Welcome, young heroes in the making, to Phoenix Academy!

I've been inspired by a topic about superhero academies, which has always been a campaign I've wanted to run. After seeing how cool it can be in shows like Dimension 20, I really want to go about making one happen. It so happens that Masks Unbound has a playset for running super schools all ready to use, so the stars aren't aligning so much as kicking me in the behind until I submit to their demands.

Let's get the essentials out of the way:

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Masks by Magpie Games. An Apocalypse World hack that tells the story of teen superheroes.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Phoenix Academy, set in Halcyon city. However, the setting will very likely be changed based on what the players want in the world.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    3-5 (6 if some really good options there)
    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    OOTS forum
    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    N/A
    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

N/A
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

All playbooks should be fine, but if you decide to go with a non-core one, I won't say no, but I might ask you to have a back-up core one. It's not encouraged to have more supplement playbooks like the Brain or the Harbringer or the Joined, than Core ones.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Go crazy.
    9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    You guys make all the rolls. I don't roll at all.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Some new moves will be available to players, but I will only bring it up when it's needed.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A couple of paragraphs would be nice. Feel free to introduce loads of NPCs-no I encourage it. I want to know whose your friends at the school, outside school, whose your favorite parent, favorite hero, as much as you want to share.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    More roleplaying than the other two, but Masks does a good job of making fighting a form of roleplaying. Puzzles or mysteries will likely be in as well.
    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    No homebrew playbooks, but I'm open to having powers not explicitly listed in the playbooks as long as they make sense.

I've also started a wiki of the setting on World Anvil which you can check out here! More will be added to it as the world is developed with the players.

Anyway, welcome to Phoenix Academy! You're the first class in 15 years-so the eyes of the world are on your shoulders. No pressure.

Player Playbook Character
    Zero Prime The Nova Gravitas
    Awful The Outsider Ssirana-115
    roko10 The Protege Binaltech
    Comissar The Bull Rosie
    Ramsus The Legacy The Ruby Host
    Jumbus The Delinquent Lagoon
    niw18 The Reformed The Scarecrow
    OutOfThyme The Doomed Legion
    Captain Jak The Doomed Mighty
    Thanqol The Beacon Sally Bitters, Saviour of the Universe
    Sarven The Janus Black Lotus
    DaedalusMkV The Janus X-celerate
    Last edited by CoreBrute23; 2019-05-17 at 04:53 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Welcome to Phoenix Academy [Masks]

Oooh, Masks.

I'll get something out soon.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

3. - Top - End - #3

DrowGirl

Post interest
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Is Masks available for free? At least the basics?

If yes, can someone drimp up a link? I don't want to just google it and risk a pirated PDF or whatnot, but I'd enjoy playing.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Hmm. Reuse a transformed or make an outsider? Hmm, hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Is Masks available for free? At least the basics?

If yes, can someone drimp up a link? I don't want to just google it and risk a pirated PDF or whatnot, but I'd enjoy playing.
    You can get the base stuff for it perfectly legally from Magpie Game's own site, here.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    You can get the base stuff for it perfectly legally from Magpie Game's own site, here.
    Much appreciated!

Edit: GM and other potential players, how possible is it to write a backstory, and THEN see what Playbook fits?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-05-10 at 10:34 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Flumph

Very much interested as a Bull with close-range magic powers.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

I'm interested! It sounds fun.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Much appreciated!

Edit: GM and other potential players, how possible is it to write a backstory, and THEN see what Playbook fits?
    You can do it that way if you must. The thing is I advise keeping whatever backstory you come up with fairly basic, like a couple of lines maybe, because the playbooks actually ask questions about your backstory, to help you develop it.

One thing you can do, start making a backstory brief or outline, like a couple of lines, than post it here or DM me, and I'll let you know what playbooks work best with the character or character journey you have in mind.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I'm interested, either as an Outsider, a Protege or as a Nova. I'll hash out the details for them soon.
    Last edited by roko10; 2019-05-10 at 11:11 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Iíve never played a Masks game before and Iím very interested in trying. Maybe as a Delinquent.

12. - Top - End - #12

Alright, so super stoked, as Masks is one of my favorite Games ... learned on these very boards. So I am going to jump in with a Nova ... please feel free to give it a quick read, it does add some world elements to the game, but hopefully I get a chance to play him in the Academy.

Spoiler: Gravitas
    Show

Spoiler: Gravitron, Metahuman Most Wanted
    Show

Spoiler: Synopsis
    Show
    Quentin Raleigh was born to Katyln Raleigh & Viktor Markovitch, also known as Graviton. Graviton was a member of the Paragons, a collection of respected superheroes who operated out of Halcyon City. In the 90's the Paragons responded to an international crisis in Russia, discovering a government facility that was both abducting and experimenting on meta-human children. Markovitch became convinced that various para-governmental organizations were joined in a conspiracy that targeted meta-humans, to the Paragons' dismay he began to strike out at his political targets. Labelled a terrorist by the international community the Paragons tried to apprehend him. Katlyn left Viktor, and raised her child in Halcyon City, maintaining some ties with both the Paragons & Ascension Labs.

Quentin is aware of his father, and strives to distance himself from radical politics, however, since the emergence of his powers the parallels between father and son are very apparent, and that very fact makes many people and organizations more than a little apprehensive, given that Quentin has now taken the role of Gravitas, and is actively trying to make amends for his father's many acts of violence against baseline humans.

The Nova
    Hero Name: Gravitas

Look
    • ambiguous, man, shifting,transgressing, woman
    • Asian or South Asian, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Indigenous, Middle Eastern, Slavic/East European
    • glowing skin, inorganic skin, marked skin, normal skin
    • fashionable clothing, casual clothing, formal clothing, dark clothing
    • colorful costume, uniform costume, mythological costume, fantastical costume, no costume

Abilities
    • telekinesis and telepathy
    • sorcery
    • biokinesis
    • elemental control
    • gravity manipulation
    • cosmic energies

Moment of Truth
    Your mindís eye opens, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Team Moves
    • When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.
    • When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

POTENTIAL

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Advancement
    When you fill your potential track, you advance. Choose from the list below.
    [ ] Take a move from another playbook
    [ ] Take a move from another playbook
    [ ] Someone permanently loses Influence over you; add +1 to a Label
    [ ] Rearrange your Labels as you choose, and add +1 to a Label
    [ ] Unlock your Moment of Truth
    [ ] Unlock three new flares
    [ ] Unlock three new flares
    [ ] Take The Bullís Heart from the Bull playbook

When youíve taken five advances from the top list, you can take advances from the list below.

[ ] Unlock your Moment of Truth after youíve used it once
    [ ] Change playbooks
    [ ] Take an adult move
    [ ] Take an adult move
    [ ] Lock a Label, and add +1 to a Label of your choice
    [ ] Retire from the life or become a paragon of the city

Labels
    (at character creation, add +1 Superior)
    • DANGER +1
    • FREAK +2
    • SAVIOR +0
    • SUPERIOR +1
    • MUNDANE -1

Conditions
    • [ ] Afraid (-2 to directly engage a threat)
    • [ ] Angry (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask)
    • [ ] Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
    • [ ] Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers)
    • [ ] Insecure (-2 to defend someone or reject othersí influence)

Burn
    When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 burn and mark three conditions. Spend your burn on your flares. You lose all burn at the end of the scene.

Choose four flares.
    • [x] Reality Storm: You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling + Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.
    • [x] Shielding: You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling + Freak instead of + Savior.
    • [ ] Constructs: Spend 1 burn to create any object with your powers, up to the size of a person. Spend an additional burn to animate it independently of yourself. The construct dissolves at the end of the scene.
    • [ ] Moat: Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.
    • [ ] Worship: You put out a tremendous display of your might. Spend 1 burn to awe an audience into silence, respect, and attention when you unleash your powers.
    • [ ] Move: Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second burn to move to any place youíve previously been.
    • [ ] Boost: Spend 1 burn to supercharge a teammateís efforts with your powers, giving them a +1 bonus to their roll as if you had spent Team from the pool.
    • [x] Overcharge: You channel the full capacity of your incredible powers to overcome an obstacle, reshape your environment, or extend your senses. Spend 2 burn to take a 10+ when you unleash your powers.
    • [x] Elemental Awareness: Spend 1 burn and mark a condition to open your mind up to the world around you with your powers. You can ask any one question about the world around you, and the GM will answer honestly.
    • [ ] Snatch: Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

Backstory
    When did you first use your powers?
    I don't know, I think I was thirteen years old, I'd been having a series of debilitating migraines, and they had been persisting for almost two weeks, until I collapsed in a seizure. During the seizure I created an exponential increase in the local gravity field, which basically caused my 7th grade classroom to collapse. My mother, Katlyn Raleigh. Took me to one of her colleagues at Ascension Labs, after my powers erupted. Dr. Meiron-Park fitted me with power dampeners, and I was able to learn to control my abilities over the next few months with the help of both the Paragons, and Ascension Labs.
    Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?
    Luckily most of the kids in my class escaped with cuts, scrapes and bruises, not so for my 7th Grade teacher, Olivia Bolton. She suffered a shattered pelvis, cracked ribs, and severe internal injuries. Despite the Paragons' damage control, she passed away from her injuries, the family refused to allow me to pay my respects at the funeral. Even worse, her husband, Trent Bolton, became radicalized and joined the anti-metahuman organization, Humanity Now, who denounces any metahuman activities, and is calling for various governmental regulation, and confinement acts to protect the baselines.
    Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?
    Dr. Meiron-Park, she's been a great help to me, and whenever they threaten to overwhelm me, I can always visit her in her labs. She has the equipment to monitor their development and control, but more importantly she has taken the time to teach me Tai Chi Chuan, allowing me to calm myself, and find a measure of peace.
    Why do you continue to use your powers?
    Alright, here's the big bad reveal. My father is Viktor Markovich, yes, Gravitron. A member of the Paragons in the 90's, until their famous incursion into Russian, where they discovered Sevvostlag 17, a facility where a Russian backed organization was abducting and experimenting on metahuman children. He became convinced that the governments of the world, and humanity as a whole were close to a tipping point where they would be unable to accept metahumans as something other than a threat to their current world view. He left the Paragons to create a brotherhood which would strike back at governments and private organizations which would exploit, or seek to infringe upon what he viewed as metahuman rights. So yeah, my dad is basically the world's most powerful metahuman terrorist, talk about your self fulfilling prophecies.

I just want nothing to do with his bull**** politics, and want to show the world that we, metahumans as a whole, aren't just threats, but a part of the society to which we were born.
    Why do you care about the team?
    They don't look at me like I'm some sort of walking disaster, just waiting to happen. They don't judge me based on my dad's actions, and sometimes, despite the fear I occasionally see in their eyes, they look at me and smile. And that's enough for me.

Once youíve finished your backstory, introduce your character to the other players, and then determine what happened when your team first came together, the relationships between you and your teammates, and who has Influence over you.

When I first joined the Team ...
    We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?
    To be determined.

Relationships
    • You hang out all the time with [Player] to blow off steam.
    • You once hurt [Player], when you lost control of your powers.

Influence
    Choose your demeanor: locked down, give Influence to one teammate.

With this submission I introduced a few key elements to the setting; Gravitron, Maximus' father, also the world's 1st and foremost Meta-human terrorist. Ascension Labs, essentially a non affiliated research institute that studies the Meta-human phenomenon, and works closely with AEGIS itself. The Paragons, a premiere superhero team, of which my father was a member until the mid '90's when he left due to ideological differences. And finally, Humanity Now, an anti-Metahuman organization that is gaining both popular, and political support. Oh, it's also fairly common knowledge that Maximus Powers is Gravitron's son, and the hero Gravitas. Sometimes there's no escaping the sins of the father.

I just want to make sure that we're onboard for these elements, or if they need to be modified or altered in any way. Again, super excited to be able to apply to a game like this, and I hope to catch you guys at the Academy!
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-05-10 at 12:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Spoiler: Ssirana-115, Outsider
    Show

Name: Ssirana-115

Look:

A description in two parts.

True form:

-Woman
    -Strange Body
    -Glowing eyes
    -No human clothing
    -Practical Costume

Ssirana is an Aalia - vaguely humanoid, with a height of around 16cm. Her skin is a soft purple, with bright blue lines running down her limbs. Her legs end as points at the ankles, being unneeded - her species are all capable of flight innately. From her back she has twelve long tentacles, ending in squid-like clubs. Her eyes glow. In the centre of her chest is a glowing sphere, pulsating gently. Her torso is covered in a black nanoweave costume, studded with connection ports to her craft, with just a hole to reveal the sphere. The sphere is a kind of natural supercapictor, charging in sunlight and providing most of the energy Ssirana needs.

Craft

A humanoid cybernetic biosuit. Around 180cm tall. A venerable model of biosuit, made when the Aalia feared what they might find - to fight monsters, they built monsters of their own. A biomechanical giant... by their standards. Similiar to how Ssirana looks, with the skin a matt black self-repairing metal, the lines glowing green and the tentacles replaced with four diamond-shaped folding solar panels. Three-toed feet have been added to allow walking.
    The suit wasn't fully equipped before Ssirana hijacked it; and thus it carries none of the devastating weaponry that it would otherwise, but Ssirana can make do if need be.

Abilities:
    Flying and toughness
    - Alien weaponry
    - Heliokinesis

Labels:
    Danger: -1
    Freak: +1
    Saviour: 0
    Superior: +3
    Mundane: 0

Conditions:
    None currently

Backstory:

Where do you come from?
    Mars.
    What, that isn't specific enough? Fine.
    Mars, from another dimension.
    Alright, fine!
    She was born in a tube in an alien base on a fertile Mars, in another dimension - but she was effectively an intern on in an extradimensional transportation research facility on Terra, due to an unusual aptitude for technology. Whether modifying technology on the fly or operating advanced machinery, it all seemed to come naturally. The other Ssiranas didn't seem to have this aptitude to the same degree - so extra focus to be good was always put on 115.

Why did you come to Earth?
    The barren planet of Terra was an obviously place for the Aalia to experiment with interdimensional technology. The only thing alive was bacteria and lichen. It was to their surprise when their interdimensional portal lead straight to the centre of Halycon's Central Square.
    First contact was... tense. The Aalia didn't expect a city of giants. The humans didn't expect a sudden alien incursion right in the middle of the Square. In the end, however, it was settled without violence - and information between the two entities began to pass. Ssirana, right at the portal, drank in this info with greedy eyes - everything was so different. Without a second thought, she decided that was where she wanted to be.

Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?
    Ssirana is a clone. All Aalia are. After the Great Silence, the only thinking life in the entire galaxy were the four Aalia stationed on a base on the fertile fields of Mars, where they had been setting it up for future colonisation. No male Aalia were with them... so they have cloned themselves, over and over, to keep the species going.
    Ssirana is the 115th Ssirana, part of a batch of thirty others, and by Zorblax, she refuses to live a life emulating some long dead woman just because they share DNA. She wants to decide her own path, her own fate - and she won't do that back home. Earth is so different. Everyone is unique, weird stuff is happening all the time - it's a world apart from the sterile, perfectly ordered halls of the Aalian Mars.

And so Ssirana hatched a plan; she stole a suit and snuck through the portal, where she presented herself as being part of an Aalian-human joint agreement - to foster better relations and understanding between the two species, they'd host an Aalia through the human education system. Faced with looking like incompetents, the Aalia in charge were forced to pretend it had been their idea all along.

Why do your people want you to come home?
    She... wasn't technically supposed to be here in the first place. As long as she doesn't cause too much trouble, they seem content to wait and let her get it out her system - at least, for now.
    Of course, her actions also reflect on the Aalia as a whole in the minds of humanity. They don't want to risk an incident - Aalia will be judged by 115's actions, for good or ill. While they were forced to accept the notion, they haven't forgotten Ssirana's insubordination...

Why do you care about the team?
    There's the age-old debate of nature vs nurture, right? Well, when you're a clone raised in a batch, nature and nurture tend to be pretty even for everyone. Put simply - everyone has a similar personality, so when you're slightly different, it tends to grate. But when personalities are completely different... well, then they can fill in the gaps. It's fun. You can't be friends with yourself, and that's what the clones were, pretty much. Besides, the group provides her with a place to stay and helps her navigate this bizarre world of giants. They don't have demands and endless obligations like her old life.

When our team first came together...:

We didnít trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships:
    Ssirana has been learning about Earthly life from:

Ssirana certainly does not have a crush on:
    So stop asking!

Influence:
    Haughty: No influence for anyone!

Has Influence on:

Outsider moves:
    -Alien tech
    When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one: - it works exceptionally well - you get an additional use out of it. On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

-Kirby-craft:
    --Strengths: Fast and manoeuvrable, Regenerating
    --Weaknesses: Unarmed, Susceptible to Electricity
    You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses. When you are flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior.

-Alien ways:
    Whenever you openly disregard orundermine an important Earth custom in favor ofone of your own peopleís customs, shift Superiorup and any other Label down.

Advancements:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post

With this submission I introduced a few key elements to the setting; Gravitron, Maximus' father, also the world's 1st and foremost Meta-human terrorist. Ascension Labs, essentially a non affiliated research institute that studies the Meta-human phenomenon, and works closely with AEGIS itself. The Paragons, a premiere superhero team, of which my father was a member until the mid '90's when he left due to ideological differences. And finally, Humanity Now, an anti-Metahuman organization that is gaining both popular, and political support. Oh, it's also fairly common knowledge that Maximus Powers is Gravitron's son, and the hero Gravitas. Sometimes there's no escaping the sins of the father.

I just want to make sure that we're onboard for these elements, or if they need to be modified or altered in any way. Again, super excited to be able to apply to a game like this, and I hope to catch you guys at the Academy!
    Excellent stuff, I always like having new NPCs for me to use for this world, and all of that seems to work. I like your stuff as a Nova, but it could also work as a Scion (from unbound supplement) if you want to play up more the story of escaping your father's shadow, rather than the story of dealing with incredible overwhelming power. But I'm good with Nova if you are.

Quick question, Gravitas believed 'para-governmental organizations were joined in a conspiracy that targeted meta-humans'. Does that mean he believes agencies like AEGIS were involved? Or does he just believe it was government groups like the CIA and KGB?

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post

Ssirana is an Aalia - vaguely humanoid, with a height of around 16cm.
    Oh wow, that's a fantastic concept. It's like Meet Dave and I'm loving it. Quick couple of questions that spring to mind right now:

1. Are there other Aalias in this dimension's version of Mars? Or have you not determined that yet and want to find out during play?

2. You were 'sent' to foster relations between Earth and the Alias. Did Earth send someone to the other Mars as part of this 'exchange' program? If so who, and are you two pen pals of some kind?

15. - Top - End - #15

I like the mechanical representation of the Nova, especially as one of the people who could help him control his abilities is his father. I like the Scion playbook themes, and wouldn't be adverse to exploring some of those as they pertain to my father. But I am quite happy with the Nova, and exploring the themes of power, control, and responsibility.

It's quite likely he feels AEGIS is involved, or at least is a part of the larger conspiracy. After the mission to RUssia in the 90's, I imagine about a decade of him doing a slow face-heel turn, with Quentin being born in the early 2000's, and him going full Meta-human extremist in 2010 or something. Just so I have some good time memories for us to draw on too!
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-05-10 at 01:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    I like the mechanical representation of the Nova, especially as one of the people who could help him control his abilities is his father. I like the Scion playbook themes, and wouldn't be adverse to exploring some of those as they pertain to my father. But I am quite happy with the Nova, and exploring the themes of power, control, and responsibility.
    Cool, as long as you're happy, I'm happy. Now about the Aegis thing...your father blames AEGIS, or just government organisations?

Also, can you tell me if the Paragons still exist, or have they disbanded since the 90s?

17. - Top - End - #17

Realized I didn't answer the AEGIS question and editted it into my response above!

As for the Paragons, it's kind of a place holder name, since an advanced move is Retire from the life or become a Paragon of the City. I imagine that the team name, whatever we decide it is, is still active, but there's likely been a roster change since my father's time with them. So some retired heroes he can reach out to, and who likely have strong opinions on what Quentin should be doing, and what he shouldn't be.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Right now I've got ideas for Legacy, Protege, and Bull. But if people really want all of those I could probably do something else. Scion would probably be a lot of fun. I'll now give a quick version of each of the ideas I have so people can have opinions. (So please everyone, especially the GM, tell me which one you like best.)

Legacy: The Ruby Host.
    Spoiler
    Show

Short version: Imagine a pastel red and white young female version of Captain America/Venom with a bigger rounder shield.

-Anemone Ruby Comes from a long line (well more like a messy squiggle) of psychically gifted capes. Each one expresses this gift differently and none of them are just default "psychic". It's not strictly limited to a specific bloodline as various people have in some way or another wound up being included in it who weren't related at all and the power doesn't express in every member of the family. Though it always has in "main" family.
    The Ruby family (yes that's their actual surname, somehow they maintained secret identities until later in the second generation) will always have a member with the title The Ruby Sentinel as the head of the family (though they do need to still be an "active" cape) and The Ruby Shield as the heir who will take on the Ruby Sentinel title next (the Ruby Shield being their progenator's title and being at the "core" of the whole group). As the name implies, their power will manifest in some kind of psychically manifested shield that is always some shade of red (though this shield can take on any form including body surrounding bubbles and the like).
    As it branches away from the main family you get other manifested items and colors. Examples: The Sapphire Shield, The Ruby Lance, The Diamond Dagger, The Onyx Armor.
    Any member of the family will often also have various other psychic abilities.
    Anemone Ruby is the first member of the main family to have such weak powers as to be unable to manifest a shield for more than a momentary flicker and her only other ability is unreliable psychometry.
    -A long time line of foes of the Rubies are the Hosts. The first Host was the result of AEGIS really screwing up when messing around with alien biotech and trying to make a super-suit. The resulting symbiotic life-form wasn't at all what they hoped. It had a will of it's own and required a more or less permanent psychic bond with an individual to live. It was also pretty much insane from the resulting tortuous means of its creation. It practically immediately went rogue and escaped and formed a bond with a low level villain. Becoming the first Host (today typically titled as First Host). When in life threatening conditions, the life-form will split in two with one or both drastically mutating and having a new personality. So since then there have been several (sometimes concurrent) Hosts. Such as the Hostess, the Gentleman Host, and HellHost.
    -One day, not all that long ago, Anemone was kidnapped by Hostess (second generation, nicknamed Cupcake online to her great annoyance). Mostly just to bait her mother, the Ruby Shield. Which certainly worked. Her mother got very worked up and the fight was intense enough that both she and the Hostess were severely injured. Injured badly enough that the Ruby Shield had to stay in the hospital for about a week and out of the field for almost a month. Injured badly enough that unbeknownst to either combatant that the symbiotic-life form had split. The new one was immediately drawn to the nearby weakly psychically powered individual, which to it shown like a spot-light on food and safety. It had been damage in the fight and had barely more substance than a long hair, so Anemone didn't even realize it was there until a few days later when it started to grow.
    At first she was horrified and ashamed. It was bad enough being the first runt of the family. But to then become part of the family of their enemies? So kept what had happened to herself for weeks. Until the symbiotic-life form, which had since been shaped by bonding with her, was "fully grown". It was then she discovered that the psychic connection between them was making her own powers stronger. Within a few days she could properly manifest a shield (as long as it was wrapped in the bio-material) and her psychometry was.... well it was still pretty unreliable but it was at least better. And of course being a Host came with other benefits like increased strength, toughness, and mobility.
    She was a few days away from building up the courage to tell her mother about all of this when she was caught practicing. There was several days of much drama. But in the end her symbiotic-life form seemed more concerned with survival and the well-being of its host than any malicious or mad intent and her mother (sort of) put aside her reservation rather than crush Anemone's one hope of carrying on the family legacy. This is still a subject of ongoing drama in the family. (In fact on the Host's side of things they're also pretty worked up about it too, though they're not really a proper "group" so much as a small collection of loosely connected individuals.) So she transferred into Pheonix Academy.

Protege: Firework
    Spoiler
    Show

[name] was born to US born parents of such mixed nationalities that [name] can actually claim some heritage of every nationality. She was also born on the 4th of July. Apparently being the only person born in the city that day was enough to grant her powers. As that's her parents only explanation on why she has them. At first it was just cute things like color changing hair and eyes and harmless like sparklers going off out of nowhere when she was upset.
    But at this point she can launch everything from sparklers, to bottle rockets, to professional big-city even style fireworks. She can do stuff like explosive (and showy, well ok everything about her powers is showy) punches, to firing off a stream of various size fireworks from her fingers, to propelled flight (often corkscrewing through the air). Thankfully she's also fireproof, immune to explosions (the force produced doesn't harm her, though she can still be pushed around), and generally tough.

Her mentor is Miss America [year tbd, not a real person obviously]. The first and only one from the time the pageant was held in Halcyon City. They no longer hold the pageant in the city since everyone agrees that encouraging bored Trickster gods to grant powers to pageant contestants is a bad idea even if it worked out okay the first time. She also briefly attained cosmic powers when she won the Miss Universe contest. It was a very strange year.

Bull: Atlass
    Spoiler
    Show

[name] was granted her powers when she was on a school trip to New York and was comparing it to the Farnese Atlas she had seen in Naples on her family vacation. The imbuer of her powers was a mystical cloaked figure that gave her a speech that had something to do with young people not appreciating art and history or something like that. She can't recall the details because the weird out of body experience of it was too sudden and dizzying and she was too busy trying to find a way out. After waking up she discovered... well the first thing she discovered was people were looking at her weird because she had apparently zoned out for a full minute in the middle of talking.
    But later when she had some time to herself she discovered she had powers (though she could feel it the moment she returned). She could transform into a blend of unbelievably durable living stone and bronze (or simply one or the other if she prefers). She was immensely strong and her carrying capacity is unlimited as far as she has been able to tell. She could grow up to 15 feet tall (which just further increases her strength). And for some reason she can mentally picture a map of any location on earth that has had a map made. Though these will only be as accurate as the maps and some cases she will not necessarily get the most accurate map (especially when trying to see the map of something very far away) and will sometimes get what are to today's knowledge obviously incorrect maps. She's also very good at drawing duplicates of these maps.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Posting interest -- I just looked at Masks for the first time this week, and I like it!

I'll be putting up a Doomed when I get a moment.

20. - Top - End - #20

Looking over the playbooks, a Beacon could be cool.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Idea for a Janus: A kid who has to attend the school secretly because their parents are extremely anti-metahuman. People think they just dropped out of school, got their GED, and has a job now. Actually they is secretly attending a superhero school because they has powers and trying to keep their two lives from intersecting. Iíll have to do more figuring out the concept and ironing it out but is there anything initially wrong with this idea?
    I go by They/Them pronouns, BTW.

22. - Top - End - #22

Planetar

So here's a power armor Protege, somewhat inspired by the Iron Man/Spider-Man dynamic in the MCU. The sheet's far from done, but I'll finish it tomorrow.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post
    So here's a power armor Protege, somewhat inspired by the Iron Man/Spider-Man dynamic in the MCU. The sheet's far from done, but I'll finish it tomorrow.
    Looks good so far! I assume your mentor is not a teacher at the school (correct me if I'm wrong), but did he previous attend Phoenix Academy?

Quote Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
    Idea for a Janus: A kid who has to attend the school secretly because their parents are extremely anti-metahuman. People think they just dropped out of school, got their GED, and has a job now. Actually they is secretly attending a superhero school because they has powers and trying to keep their two lives from intersecting. Iíll have to do more figuring out the concept and ironing it out but is there anything initially wrong with this idea?
    That could work. We could also do the thing where you've told your public school friends you've 'got a shcolarship to a private school' and haven't told them you are in Phoenix Academy. Same with not telling your parents.

It's up to you whether the students in Phoenix Academy know who you are or if you wear you secret identity all the time you are in Phoenix academy.

We could also do the thing where you actually attend both normal school and Phoenix Academy. We can say some of Phoenix Academy's classes start after 3 when you get out of normal school, and you are forced to do a lot of extra credit/independent studying to make up for the classes you miss during the day. It's a lot of responsibility to juggle, which is perfect for the Janus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Right now I've got ideas for Legacy, Protege, and Bull. But if people really want all of those I could probably do something else. Scion would probably be a lot of fun. I'll now give a quick version of each of the ideas I have so people can have opinions. (So please everyone, especially the GM, tell me which one you like best.)
    Alright let's go through these one by one.

Legacy: The Ruby Host.
    Ok so you are the Ruby Host. Does that mean your mum is still the Ruby Shield? If so, who is currently the Ruby Sentinel?

Looks pretty interesting that you are forced to supplement your powers with abilities that don't come from your line, so you kind of have two legacies to live upto (or not if you choose). I'll allow you to go with the powers you wish, as long as you state which two powers the Ruby Sentinel/Shield is supposed to have that you don't have. Or at least, don't have yet.

It will be interesting to see if you develop more to emulate your forebearers, or decide to go your own way.

Protege: Firework
    Ok, a different kind of protoge and mentor to be sure. If I'm honest this sounds more like the Star playbook or kind of celebrity character. Maybe Miss America is more of a manager than a proper mentor in crime fighting.

Bull: Atlass
    I'm thinking this Bull needs something more. There's a backstory question about 'escaping the ones who turned them' currently it seems very amiable. Maybe the imbuer actually captures children/teens they transform for some nefarious purpose, and you managed to escape from that.

EDIT: Thinking on it more, I'm wondering if Transformed might be more suitable for this backstory? A creepy mystic said you didn't appreciate art, so it 'made you a work of art' in their eyes. So your default form is a bronze etc statue, and yes you can grow bigger to 15 feet, but you can't become human anymore. That makes this an actual punishment, because currently it just looks like the guy gave you super powers, rather than try to teach you a lesson.
    Last edited by CoreBrute23; 2019-05-11 at 01:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

DrowGirl

I'll look on how to build mask character tomorrow.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I was just giving the quick version so you could see the ideas and note which you find most/least interesting. I was planning on filling in more details when I settled on one (through hearing people's opinions or people just strongly laying claim to things).

Given nobody has tried to lay claim to Legacy yet and we have had people express interest in both Protege and Bull, that's probably the one I'll go with unless you or anyone else gives me reason not to.

But I might as well address the points you brought up.

So for Ruby Host, yeah the mom is the current Ruby Shield. I'm thinking the mother's father is the Ruby Sentinel. He's probably pretty close to retiring. Which just makes this situation more stressful for everyone since then that title should pass on to her mother and my character would wind up the Ruby Shield.....but now that's pretty iffy.
    Hmmm, is it strictly needed that there are powers they have and I don't that all members of the legacy have? I feel like that thematic ground is already being covered by my powers being naturally weak and only having two (naturally). If it's absolutely necessary I guess I'd say they all have an immunity to mental manipulation and at least the current Ruby Sentinel and Shield both can grow their shields to several times their height. Those both seem like things my character could plausibly gain or just as easily never acquire.

Firework: Well I really just didn't state much about the nature of their mentorship or Miss America in general. She's still supposed to be a cape in the traditional sense. But I could certainly change that and do Star.

Atlass: I never read the Bull situation as having to be explicitly nefarious. I certainly made the situation there unpleasant enough she had to escape. I was trying to set it up as a mystery rather than declaring the character as a villain. In my head I was actually imagining someone a bit unhinged and too powerful and disconnected from the normal world to grasp why you shouldn't just pluck up a random kid and grant them rather arbitrary powers on an impulse. Still, if it needs to be a more explicit escape than the escape from the out of body experience, I could change that.
    Edit: While I grant you idea for changing this idea to a Transformed works, if I was going to make a Transformed I'd probably go for something a bit weirder. Being a statue person all the time is more just sad for the character than it is unsettling to other people.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-05-11 at 01:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

But I might as well address the points you brought up.

So for Ruby Host, yeah the mom is the current Ruby Shield. I'm thinking the mother's father is the Ruby Sentinel. He's probably pretty close to retiring. Which just makes this situation more stressful for everyone since then that title should pass on to her mother and my character would wind up the Ruby Shield.....but now that's pretty iffy.
    Hmmm, is it strictly needed that there are powers they have and I don't that all members of the legacy have? I feel like that thematic ground is already being covered by my powers being naturally weak and only having two (naturally). If it's absolutely necessary I guess I'd say they all have an immunity to mental manipulation and at least the current Ruby Sentinel and Shield both can grow their shields to several times their height. Those both seem like things my character could plausibly gain or just as easily never acquire.
    It's important about the power thing because there is literally an advancement for Legacy that says "Unlock the remaining two powers of your suite". So it's important to know what are the powers you are missing for advancement purpose.

Mental Immunity works for the Ruby Sentinel power. You could make the second power be something that your Host could do, but you don't know how to do yet. Make it connected to your other Legacy.

Atlass: I never read the Bull situation as having to be explicitly nefarious. I certainly made the situation there unpleasant enough she had to escape. I was trying to set it up as a mystery rather than declaring the character as a villain. In my head I was actually imagining someone a bit unhinged and too powerful and disconnected from the normal world to grasp why you shouldn't just pluck up a random kid and grant them rather arbitrary powers on an impulse. Still, if it needs to be a more explicit escape than the escape from the out of body experience, I could change that.
    Edit: While I grant you idea for changing this idea to a Transformed works, if I was going to make a Transformed I'd probably go for something a bit weirder. Being a statue person all the time is more just sad for the character than it is unsettling to other people.
    I'd find a walking bronze statue very unsettling, especially if it grows 15 feet tall. Besides the feeling of isolation is very personal but alright your points are valid.

You were trying to make it a mystery? Oh that works then, it wasn't super clear. But I can dig it. Does the mysterious person still show up to keep an eye on you, see how you are doing or trying to get you back in his mysterious place? Maybe you've repressed the memories of what happened, like in Changeling?

27. - Top - End - #27

Planetar

I won't mind Sigmund having once attended the original Phoenix Academy; in fact, I was toying with making him one of the major sources of funding that the new Academy gets.

Also, are we the only students or are there also NPC superhero trainees around?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post
    I won't mind Sigmund having once attended the original Phoenix Academy; in fact, I was toying with making him one of the major sources of funding that the new Academy gets.

Also, are we the only students or are there also NPC superhero trainees around?
    Sigmund funds the school? Interesting.

There will be other students in the school. There are currently only two classes, each class has 19 students. Everyone is in the same year, although not necessarily the same age, but close enough (within a year or 2).

EDIT: I will be asking the PCs questions later on about the other students in your class, whose friends, or enemies, or frenemies etc.
    Last edited by CoreBrute23; 2019-05-11 at 02:05 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

@CoreBrute23: Ah right, forgot about that. Yeah having the other power be a Host power would fit well.
    And those are pretty good ideas for Atlass.

So do you like one concept more than any of the others? (I'm leaning towards Ruby Host personally as so far it seems the most compelling and it comes with an easy to name horde of potential NPCs with what I've already established.)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

@CoreBrute23: Ah right, forgot about that. Yeah having the other power be a Host power would fit well.
    And those are pretty good ideas for Atlass.

So do you like one concept more than any of the others? (I'm leaning towards Ruby Host personally as so far it seems the most compelling and it comes with an easy to name horde of potential NPCs with what I've already established.)
    Personally I feel like the Ruby Host has the most interesting background currently, with a host of interesting elements and NPCs to pull on them. So I would go with that one.

I am going to close applications on 17th of May. Try to have a character sheet ready by then.