Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Welcome to Phoenix Academy [Masks]

Quote Originally Posted by CoreBrute23 View Post

Very nice stuff, I really like this kid. I have thoughts on why your dad might have genetically engineered you, which I can keep as a surprise or we can workshop it together if you like.
    Thank you, I appreciate it. He kind of... Grew in my mind over the last few days, which is why I decided to take the plunge on this in the first place. As for the reasons... Honestly, you can have the hook as you like. I do appreciate a good mystery, after all.
    Regarding Masks label, having it be Freak means you want people to see you (or your super identity) as Strange, Unique and powerful. If you want another opinion, you could go with Savior, you want people to see you as a Defender, a Stalwart Guardian or Selfless-protector-basically you want to be seen like a Superman or All Might Character (not powers wise, but your demenor). Alternatively you could go with Superior, when you want others to see you as crafty, cunning, always one step ahead-basically a Batman or The Question.
    I think I'll actually switch it out for Saviour, now that I think about it. His defining moment came from rescuing someone, and that's where he'd be likely to focus his efforts. He doesn't want to be unique, so much as Stand Out, Make a Difference and Get To Use His Powers.
    As for how you attend Phoenix Academy, you are absolutely right that student identities are a tightly guarded secret. However I want to know how you attend classes. You can attend classes without a mask, as all the students are required to sign an NDA to not reveal identities of the other students -but again, teenagers are emotional and make stupid choices, so that's a slim possibility. Alternatively, you can attend all classes in your costume with a mask on-you kind of stick out. Another option that Phoenix Academy provides is a false cover-they give you a fake name, colored contacts, prosthetic nose, very convincing wig, to just make you look like a completely different person so others can't reveal your identity as a billionaire's son.
    Honestly, he's the kind of famous that people would recognize his family name fairly regularly, and anyone in the know would immediately know who he was if he mentioned his dad's name, but not really the kind of famous that people recognize on sight unless they already know him. Barring someone he grew up with attending the school (in which case they'd have just as much to lose as him), he really isn't at much risk showing his face to Phoenix students. He's not a media personality, you'd have to do some pretty good detective work to connect him to his family just from seeing his face. If he attends as "Jason Cooper. From New York.", he's probably fine. Unless some nefarious twist of fate were to cause one of his classmates to piece it together...
    Finally regarding your responsibility schoolwork, online courses is a bit weak, I was wondering if we could make it stronger. You could have your schoolwork be the stuff Phoenix Academy gives you as homework (there is a lot to learn), or you could do the Sabrina/American Dragon thing and attend both Phoenix Academy and a normal public school. Say you are registered to take classes in a normal school, but there's a teleporter* set up in a janitor's closet that you can use to go to Phoenix Academy and back again.

"Jason van der Merwe can't be X-celerate. I just saw him in math class and X-celerate is all the way on the island competing in the Phoenix Academy Sports Day relay race."

That means you have double the workload-you've got the studies in your normal school and the extra studies you have in Phoenix Academy, while also trying not to let others figure out you are teleporting between the two.

*We can say Phoenix Academy set up the teleporter. It's up to you who in the public school (maybe the headmaster knows, or maybe only the Janitor knows) knows about the whole jumping between schools thing.

What do you think?
    He'd certainly try to be taking as many courses as he can online, but... Well, you've got to be physically present for some of it, right? Can't do Chemistry online. And you need to show up physically for your tests, or you fail. And he'd want to show up for lectures at least some of the time, or people start to wonder if you're a ghost. Plus group projects. Can't get by without the occasional group project requiring you to physically meet up with people from your online course, because The Man hates social recluses.

Honestly, the point is that he's stretched way too far a bunch of different ways. He should have exactly enough extra-curricular (for Phoenix) coursework that no sane human would ever willingly take it on, and there's no way he isn't going to run into problems. So yeah, he definitely has at least some physical courses he has to attend. And it should definitely cause problems for him.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh I forgot to add, the characters are all 15, maybe just turning 16, so you might want to say your rescue happened when you were 15 or 14.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh I forgot to add, the characters are all 15, maybe just turning 16, so you might want to say your rescue happened when you were 15 or 14.
    Roger that, rolled it back a year to 15, which would make him just past 16 at the current point (and result in the event having happened around six to eight months prior to the story). He probably can't have been any younger than 15 for the incident, since as far as I'm aware it's literally impossible to get a motorcycle license younger than that anywhere in the United States (learner's permit at 14, full license at 15 and motorcycle license as soon as you have that, and that only works in like half the States IIRC). I guess I could change that detail, but I'm kind of attached to it for the helmet angle so I'd rather not.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No no it's fine, keep it as is. You can tell people 'augh, my mum made me go to Phoenix Academy' but secretly you were really keen on it. Maybe when someone actually meets your mum, she says wasn't actually that keen but you 'basically begged to go' or something.

Does he have any 'bad friends', you know, the guys who are considered 'bad influences', who might have gang connections or henchmen on the side for extra cash etc? These are probably not friends he has in Phoenix Academy, but it's up to him.
    Fixed the backstory the mum thing is back in and yeah I'll add something about bad influences what do you think of this? Feel free to change the name of Brian and Mr King if you want to link that to anything else in the story.

"After the fight with the Boulder, one of my class mates did recognize my ability. His name was Brain King and he said he wanted some muscle like mine on his side. You see his dad, Mr King, was in a pretty notorious gang around the city and Brian fancied himself the next in line to that throne of crime. Anyway being the strongest in his smaller school gang was great, they would marvel at everything I did. Brian got me into a few misdemeanors and we hung out for the next couple of years before I got into the Phoenix academy. I'm still in contact with him."

Also just read your thing about the age I have mine written down as 16 which I think could be better for the character as it feeds into the false sense of superiority but up to you if you want me to change that.

Also want to add Daedalus "you'd have to do some pretty good detective work to connect him to his family just from seeing his face." sounds like a case for Sally Bitters, Saviour of the Universe.

I would also like to ask about the setting is it a boarding school? And also considering the island setting would it give me the ability to sneak off the island? That could be interesting considering the whole bad influences thing.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-05-16 at 03:20 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Had my age as 16 too. It was a tough struggle, but I managed the hurdle of editing that 6 to a 5. (Basically, has no effect on my character but I noted the GM said it and changed it accordingly, is what I'm saying.)

@DaedalusMkV: You could also change the detail on the legal age for getting a permit in this city. It would make some amount of sense in a city with super heroes who will inevitably have young sidekicks. Since the options then are kids who are driving around with permits or kids who are driving around without ever bothering to take the required tests.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-05-16 at 04:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Roger that, rolled it back a year to 15, which would make him just past 16 at the current point (and result in the event having happened around six to eight months prior to the story). He probably can't have been any younger than 15 for the incident, since as far as I'm aware it's literally impossible to get a motorcycle license younger than that anywhere in the United States (learner's permit at 14, full license at 15 and motorcycle license as soon as you have that, and that only works in like half the States IIRC). I guess I could change that detail, but I'm kind of attached to it for the helmet angle so I'd rather not.
    Just turned 16 years old is fine. Motorcycles are very cool. Do you ride your motorcycle to Phoenix Academy (you would have to take it on the ferry, but there's room for it), or do you go without?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbus View Post
    Fixed the backstory the mum thing is back in and yeah I'll add something about bad influences what do you think of this? Feel free to change the name of Brian and Mr King if you want to link that to anything else in the story.

"After the fight with the Boulder, one of my class mates did recognize my ability. His name was Brain King and he said he wanted some muscle like mine on his side. You see his dad, Mr King, was in a pretty notorious gang around the city and Brian fancied himself the next in line to that throne of crime. Anyway being the strongest in his smaller school gang was great, they would marvel at everything I did. Brian got me into a few misdemeanors and we hung out for the next couple of years before I got into the Phoenix academy. I'm still in contact with him."

Also just read your thing about the age I have mine written down as 16 which I think could be better for the character as it feeds into the false sense of superiority but up to you if you want me to change that.

Also want to add Daedalus "you'd have to do some pretty good detective work to connect him to his family just from seeing his face." sounds like a case for Sally Bitters, Saviour of the Universe.

I would also like to ask about the setting is it a boarding school? And also considering the island setting would it give me the ability to sneak off the island? That could be interesting considering the whole bad influences thing.
    Brian King or Brain King? Both are fine, I just need to check.

Mr King is fine, does he call his gang 'The Court of ____'?

16 is fine for you as well.

Sounds like a case indeed.

Phoenix Academy is not a boarding school, but some students do live at the school. There are dorms on campus where you assume students and some faculty stay, specially designed for whatever environment or special needs a student might require. Most students live somewhere in nearby Halcyon city.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Brian King or Brain King? Both are fine, I just need to check.

Mr King is fine, does he call his gang 'The Court of ____'?

16 is fine for you as well.

Sounds like a case indeed.

Phoenix Academy is not a boarding school, but some students do live at the school. There are dorms on campus where you assume students and some faculty stay, specially designed for whatever environment or special needs a student might require. Most students live somewhere in nearby Halcyon city.
    It's Brian I really tried to not type Brain but every time I typed Brain so a few must have slipped in lol.

Up to you on the The Court of thing maybe The Court of Halcyon? But if Mr King can be referred to as the Crimson King I would really appreciate that.

I would say Brian hasn't told the Crimson King about me because his dad told him not to get into trouble while at school maybe the Crimson King could be involved with the black market dealer who wants my organs but up to you.

I think Lagoon will probably be living there because he got 'kicked out of the house' plus there is lots of water around.

Really excited and nervous for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-05-16 at 04:59 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

It's Brian I really tried to not type Brain but every time I typed Brain so a few must have slipped in lol.

Up to you on the The Court of thing maybe The Court of Halcyon? But if Mr King can be referred to as the Crimson King I would really appreciate that.

I would say Brian hasn't told the Crimson King about me because his dad told him not to get into trouble while at school maybe the Crimson King could be involved with the black market dealer who wants my organs but up to you.

I think Lagoon will probably be living there because he got 'kicked out of the house' plus there is lots of water around.

Really excited and nervous for tomorrow.
    Court of Halcyon implies there are other 'Courts' in other cities which I really like. These 'Kings of Crime' are spread over the country (maybe the world or further), so there's external pressure there I like.

Any specific reason you want him to be called Crimson King? I'm fine with it, just want to check.

Wait Brian hasn't told his dad about you? So you were more involved in being a 'school gang' rather than a proper gang, you didn't do 'mob jobs' or anything I assume. Or do you just mean he's not told his dad you are now going to Phoenix Academy?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Court of Halcyon implies there are other 'Courts' in other cities which I really like. These 'Kings of Crime' are spread over the country (maybe the world or further), so there's external pressure there I like.

Any specific reason you want him to be called Crimson King? I'm fine with it, just want to check.

Wait Brian hasn't told his dad about you? So you were more involved in being a 'school gang' rather than a proper gang, you didn't do 'mob jobs' or anything I assume. Or do you just mean he's not told his dad you are now going to Phoenix Academy?
    Crimson King because it is a Jojos bizarre adventure reference which I would find amazing. Just asking for the name not the function of that character at all he should still act like a regular gang leader also the album that that character references 'In the Court of the Crimson King' so thats what made me think of it. Plus you could have the Kings of other cities being different colours.

He wouldn't have told him because it was a school gang sort of deal and he was told by his dad not to cause trouble in school because it would draw attention to Brian as someone who could be a criminal. You could have him be a dropout at 16 and try to influence me into joining the gang.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-05-16 at 07:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

C'mon, go big or go home -- call him XLR8 and be done with it. :P

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jak View Post
    I remember I once had a character who was basically XLR8 from Ben 10.

Spoiler: My favorite Ben 10 Alien
    Show

I played a couple of speedsters and their tricks are always fun to pull off. Probably why I liked watching the Flash TV show.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Well sure. If that's a direction Thanquol wanted to go, I'd roll with it. People are going to figure out his secret identity. And he's going to cave and tell people, too. What the heck would be the point of a Janus if nobody ever figured out who was under the mask? The struggle between "real" and "superhero" personas gets all the more interesting when you bring a few more people into it to take sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Had my age as 16 too. It was a tough struggle, but I managed the hurdle of editing that 6 to a 5. (Basically, has no effect on my character but I noted the GM said it and changed it accordingly, is what I'm saying.)

@DaedalusMkV: You could also change the detail on the legal age for getting a permit in this city. It would make some amount of sense in a city with super heroes who will inevitably have young sidekicks. Since the options then are kids who are driving around with permits or kids who are driving around without ever bothering to take the required tests.
    It looks like the GM's fine with it, so I think we're good. It would make Jason one of the older Phoenix students, but I doubt that's too odd. Someone has to be. I would expect that either Halcyon has a written exception for superheroes or takes a dim view of children operating motor vehicles and prefers heroes to put their kid sidekicks in the passenger seat of the heromobile, or add a sidecar to their herocycle. Knowing government bureaucracy, and finding the idea of the city levelling fines against heroes for it hilarious, I'd go with the latter myself.
    Just turned 16 years old is fine. Motorcycles are very cool. Do you ride your motorcycle to Phoenix Academy (you would have to take it on the ferry, but there's room for it), or do you go without?

He definitely has the bike with him, and he definitely rides it around when he needs to get places and doing it in-costume isn't an option. He grew up as a rich kid in a really big city with the tacit understanding that public transit is for poor people and tourists. The bike was his first real taste of independence and freedom, the moment where he wasn't chained to one of his dad's cars and a professional driver. It's kind of important to him, and he doesn't like to let it too far out of his sight now that there's no way he'd have the cash to replace it. So yeah, he'd bring it to the Academy.

On the second point... Let's workshop this, because I hadn't really considered it before. Jason has an apartment in Halcyon. A big, nice place not too far from downtown his family bought for him when he started attending his last school (which was a bit too far away from the house to regularly commute). He couldn't possibly afford rent if he had to pay for it, not on the salary of part-time wait staff, but so far nobody's telling him to move out...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jak View Post
    I actually considered it, despite having never watched that particular show or encountered that character before. In the end, I went with this version to be a bit less silly. Still silly, yeah, but less so. Also, XLR8 sounds like a robot, and there's no mechanical component at all for my guy. I'd considered X-celerity as the fancy-pants version too, but while that's all highbrow and stuff it also sounds absolutely ridiculous when you say it out loud.

I want to do the whole 'how your character would see the other applicants' thing some of the folks here have done as well, but I need to get off to do some chores now. So I'll try to write that up and post it a bit later.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2019-05-16 at 02:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well sure. If that's a direction Thanquol wanted to go, I'd roll with it. People are going to figure out his secret identity. And he's going to cave and tell people, too. What the heck would be the point of a Janus if nobody ever figured out who was under the mask? The struggle between "real" and "superhero" personas gets all the more interesting when you bring a few more people into it to take sides.
    Yeah it was just a bit of a joke you just mentioned detective work so I thought it would give a chuckle

14. - Top - End - #134
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Having trouble finding the rules ; ;
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    Having trouble finding the rules ; ;
    You can get the basic rules for free from the company website here: https://www.magpiegames.com/masks/ma...aybooks-moves/

If you want to buy the full book you can do so here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ttest_filtered

Otherwise this wiki seems to have the general rules: http://chadmasks.wikidot.com/

16. - Top - End - #136
    Colossus in the Playground

She'd try just out of the principle of the thing - "You went through my trash?" "Oh please... I go through everybody's trash." - but she's actually not a great detective so it'd be more ongoing pressure than anything she's likely to figure out on her own.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Jason's thoughts on the various other applicants (except Black Lotus, because they can't exist in the same timeline per highlander playbook rules):
    Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show

Gravitas: This guy has a hell of a lot of power, no two ways about it. Not a lot that speed and bleeding off kinetic energy can do about getting pancaked by ten times gravity or something. Hopefully I never have to fight him... He seems to have his heart in the right place, but you never know, especially with his dad still out there.

Ssirana-115: Is the number part of her name? I should ask what she wants to be called. Anyways, she's a tiny alien who drives around a suit of powered armour. That's pretty strange, and it's kind of hard to think of anything we have in common. I should probably wait and see a bit more before I try to really say anything to her, in case I accidentally say something offensive.

Binaltech: He's pretty chipper, if a bit of a dork. I don't think I'd have ever really talked to a guy like him at my old school, but here... Well, he's kind of normal, and that makes him a lot easier to figure out than some of the weirder people around here. Plus, his suit's actually pretty cool. I've got no idea how he could build something like that without all kinds of money backing him up, but there's some charm in hearing him get excited about it.

Rosie: I remember when the news broke about her. My dad used to golf with the CEO of Somno-tech, he just shook his head and said "What a bunch of idiots." Still, our company did a lot of business with Somno-tech back then, probably still does a bit. I guess that kind of makes me responsible, in a roundabout way? I should probably do something to make amends for that, now that I have the chance, even if it wasn't my fault. In the meantime, I'll try to be nice to her. She looks like she could use a friend.

The Ruby Host: She's pretty much a superhero already, and that's pretty crazy. I mean, the Ruby Shield has been around forever, pretty much, and she's going to be one some day... She has terrible taste in fashion, though. My mom would absolutely shudder. I mean, those earrings alone...

Lagoon: So he's some kind of fish-man? It must come with some kind of useful powers, if he's here. Anyways, he seems like a goofball, and not the good kind. If he doesn't start taking things more seriously he's going to screw things up big-time, and then it's going to fall on me to clean up the mess. Ugh.

The Scarecrow: Hey, wait, didn't he used to be a supervillain? Well, there's nothing wrong with second chances, I suppose. If the heroes think he deserves to be here, then who am I to argue?

Legion: Seems like there's a lot more to him than he's letting on, considering the way he stares off into the distance when he thinks nobody's looking. I don't really have a handle on his powers yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on him. At least until I figure out what his real deal is.

Mighty: He's big and tough and seems to pretty much have his **** together, so there's not too much to complain about here. He seems pretty outgoing, hopefully he isn't planning to pry into my personal life...

Sally Bitters, Saviour of the Universe: But... She's already a superhero? Why does she even need to be here? Is she a babysitter for the rest of us or something? Whatever the reason, if there's anyone here who knows what they're doing and won't need me to step in and set things right, it's her. It should be nice to have another responsible adult keeping things sane around here... And if I'm honest, I kind of used to have a crush on her a few years back. Not that I could do anything about it now... There's no way I could bring a public superhero like her home to my family. Even if it wasn't just a stupid, childish crush. Which it was. I'm over it. What were we talking about, again?
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2019-05-16 at 06:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Great stuff right there.

Alright I'm closing recruitment now, so no new applicants. You guys made this very difficult as there are loads of high quality characters.

I'll try and make my decision for the 5 (if I'm honest probably 6) heroes for this game by later today.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Welcome to Phoenix Academy [Masks] [Closed to New Applicants]

Well it's been really tough but I've finally made the decision for who will make it into the game.

Welcome our class of 2019:

Player Playbook Character
    Comissar The Bull Rosie
    Ramsus The Legacy The Ruby Host
    Jumbus The Delinquent Lagoon
    OutOfThyme The Doomed Legion
    Thanqol The Beacon Sally Bitters, Saviour of the Universe
    DaedalusMkV The Janus X-celerate

Please come on over to the OOC Thread.

As for the others, I am so sorry, I wish I could take all of you in, you had some great characters. Take care!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Glad to have been chosen, looking forward to it a great deal

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

21. - Top - End - #141
    Bugbear in the Playground

Feel free to use Gravitas as an NPC, or use any of the setting elements I came up with. Looking forward to reading about the Class of '19!