Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Welcome to Phoenix Academy [Masks]

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfThyme View Post
    Lagoon
    Another person here that's kind of a kindred spirit. He became something else through no real choice on his own. He kinda leans a bit too much into his powers, and that's frankly kind of frightening for me. Would I be more like him if I leaned into my powers like that?
    I like that a lot I can see a sort of mirror between characters where one had been picked on because of his powers so he made his power his identity, having to constantly prove superiority to others just to keep that fractured sense of self rather than trying to find people who accept him and ditching that toxic habit. The other had been curse by his and hunted down to the ends of the Earth for it and doesn't use his powers unless necessary for that reason. I think that conflict of ideals would be really interesting, less of who would win because if Cassius when full out Lagoon wouldn't stand a chance and more will Cassius be forced to fight or will Lagoon come to understand his reasons and think more about his own outlook on the world.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

@Thanqol: Hahahaha. Nice.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Edit: @CoreBrute: Are you going to make a campus map for the school too?
    That's the plan. Much like the map set up for the class seating, I'll have markers on it to explain where everything is. I just need a good picture to build upon.

The bare essentials is that Phoenix Academy is built on an island a short ferry ride away from Halcyon City. The building designs were made by a variety of alien species and the design aesthetic shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jak View Post
    I think this might just do it, until things get to the point of actually determining intra-team relationships!

[SPOILER=Dave Henderson -- Mighty -- The Doomed]The Doomed
    Ok looks good, some questions:

1. Did your mum know Father was an otherworldly being when she 'dated' him?

2. Has Father attacked this dimension before, and if so how was he held at bay?

3. Who else knows about your Doom besides you?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    THE CONSPYRAMID

Spoiler
    Show
    "Rosie" - Somno-Tech: Association with the sun/renewable energy implies dire things in light of Ssirana-115's solar powers. Evidence of alternate timeline - or time loop? Humanity invents solar-powered cybernetics leading to apocalyptic war leading to the only survivors tiny clones on Mars? Investigate further

Ssirana-115 - Cross dimensional breach allowing ingress. How? Ruby Shield famously blocked a dimensional rift for an extended period of time, was that the breach point? If so, was she an accidental transfer - or the vanguard of a tiny alien invasion? Anyone could be a tiny alien in a person suit. TRUST NO ONE.

The Ruby Host - Members of the Hosts have turned to villainy. You know who else turned to villainy because of a family member? SCARECROW. Coincidence????????? Note to self use investigation as cover to find out where she got her earrings because those look really cute on her.

Scarecrow - Scarecrows are agricultural technology. Agriculture defeats famine. Famine, or "The Desiccated Man" as he wants you to believe his name is, is a real person seeking to bring about the apocalypse that results in the tiny Martians.

Legion - Ascension labs builds power dampeners. Why? Is it so they can dampen the powers... of everyone, leaving humanity defenceless? Defenceless before the horsemen of the apocalypse, perhaps? That would make Legion the physical manifestation of the ghosts of Legion IX, the lost legion of Spain, which explains why he can summon swords inspired by Roman gladius designs.

Binaltech - The precursor to the alien people suits clearly! What caused him to break ranks with his megacorporate masters? Or is he a plant???? He's certainly been acting really nervous around me. He must know I'm on to him.

Gravitas - Walking reality breach. If the time loop theory holds true then that means that he's the past incarnation of The Menace From Reality, a time-travelling reality breach from the future. Gasp! That makes Mighty Gravitas' son!

Mighty - So let's recap. The heralds of the apocalypse have infiltrated multiple megacorporations in order to bring about the end of days. This will create a reality distortion giving future Mighty infinite cosmic power and also making him evil, letting him intervene in the past to force the time loop. Earth is destroyed in the process but humanity lives on in the form of interdimensional alien clones who have come back in time through their advanced understanding of reality breach technology to war of the worlds the earth, BUT THE TWIST IS they're actually here to save it from the coming doomsday.

IT ALL FITS TOGETHER.

Lagoon - wtf fishmen are real????
    Alright guys game's over, Sally figured out the plot. Thanks for your time it was great having you here, but you should all go home, the mystery has been solved.

Also she has a talking dog and blew up an island filled with velociraptors, why does Fishmen surprise her?

@niw18 Scarecrow looks ok, could use some more info, like what was your goal as a villain. Tell me about your Uncle, what did he actually do as a villain? Was he just a small timer using you to get big, did he have powers? Where is he now? And where are your parents? What crime landed you in Juvie, and which hero caught you?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alright, two things, my impression list will be a work in progress as this week is crazy for me!

So here's my list, and let me know if I missed anyone!

• Spoiler: Ssirana-115
      Show
      My dad talked about the Aalian first contact, said it was unusual, as it didn't involve the destruction of x number of city blocks. Instead they came through their micro-wormhole like a beautiful, rational, swarm of butterflies. Ssirana is their representative, some sort of exchange program, she's a little, distant. Here's the thing though, she's alone, in a world full of giants. Ssirana has some uncanny insight though, probably because it's like she's on the outside looking in, and asks questions about things we take for granted. She's used to this ordered, structured, society, and instead she has us, humanity at it's best and at it's worst. Must be confusing as hell to her. Doesn't help that the first movie me and the gang took her to was Fight Club. Hey, don't look at me, Rosie picked it!
    • Spoiler: Binaltech
      Show
      So Sigmund and my dad were pretty much rivals, even though they were both Paragons. Now, *after* my dad went full on political extremist, he slagged a Refract subsidiary, claiming they were supplying meta-suppression collars to third world warlords. I'm fairly certain Armorsmith didn't know of, or endorse it, but my dad usually doesn't make mistakes about things like that. Anyways, that means Binaltech's mentor pretty much hates me, probably thinks I am some sort of plant in the school, and probably has my locker bugged with nanotech recording devices. Funny thing though, as a single mother with a son enrolled at Phoenix, Erol's mom and my mom hang out quite a bit, so I know him a little He's a good guy, enthusiastic, wants to be here, wants to do right by ... pretty much everybody. He's not the best planner, he tends to get in over his head, but, dude is smart, capital S, full stop. So what ever, big heart, big head, if he can rein it in he'll be a better Armorsmith than Armorsmith.
    • Spoiler: Rosie
      Show
      Rose is ... tough as nails and strong as hell. Don't look at me like that, I know she can throw a car half a block, that's not the strength I'm talking about. She's got this ability to, I don't know, survive, I mean what happened to her would make most other people curl up in a ball, and rock back and forth in a corner for the rest of their lives. Not her, she's out there, making sure what happened to her doesn't happen to other people. And here's where it get's scary. If I ever found a place like that Somno-Tech lab, I'd ... yeah. I don't like it, but sometimes I can see where my dad's coming from. But yeah, Rosie's solid, I can depend on her in pretty much any situation, though part of me wants to walk her through the Prosthetic Clinic at Halcyon Children's Hospital, those kids would love her, but I'm not sure she really wants to be at the centre of that kind of attention, she doesn't seem to do well with the lighter stuff. She prefers to meet things head on and punch them into next week.
    • Spoiler: Ruby Host
      Show
      Work in Progress ...
    • Spoiler: Lagoon
      Show
      Work in Progress ...
    • Spoiler: Scarecrow
      Show
      Work in Progress ...
    • Spoiler: Legion
      Show
      Work in Progress ...
    • Spoiler: Mighty
      Show
      Work in Progress ...
    • Spoiler: Sally Bitters
      Show
      Work in Progress ...

Secondly, a question for Roko 10, would you mind if I poached a Protege move with advancements? Specifically Captain, normally I plan Nova's by doubling down on their massive powers, taking things like Bull in a China Shop, Thick & Thin Skined, or Not Human Enough ... however I think Quentin is trying to be more reliable, and so he'll direct from the rear, spending Team, assisting other players and what not until he is forced to take off the kid gloves.

Also, a question for Core, how would I'll Save You! Work for a non-Janus? You’re willing to pay high costs to keep your loved ones safe. Reveal your secret identity to someone watching or mark a condition to defend a loved one as if you rolled a 12+. Would the non-Janus always just mark a Condition, and could loved ones cover the team? Or specifically romantic or familial love, or based on the scene and imminent threat?

Thanks, I'll start editing in my responses to my fellow Phoenix Applicants throughout the day!
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2019-05-14 at 07:22 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Planetar

I won't mind Quentin taking Captain, no. Erol's probably not the best suited for captainship, anyway.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Alright, two things, my impression list will be a work in progress as this week is crazy for me!

So here's my list, and let me know if I missed anyone!

Also, a question for Core, how would I'll Save You! Work for a non-Janus? You’re willing to pay high costs to keep your loved ones safe. Reveal your secret identity to someone watching or mark a condition to defend a loved one as if you rolled a 12+. Would the non-Janus always just mark a Condition, and could loved ones cover the team? Or specifically romantic or familial love, or based on the scene and imminent threat?

Thanks, I'll start editing in my responses to my fellow Phoenix Applicants throughout the day!
    Can't see the list but I will when you add something.

You don't have a secret identity so yes you would always mark a condition to defend a loved one. Unless you want Gravitas to have a secret identity? Janus aren't the only ones with secret ID if you want one. But from your background I gathered his identity and parentage was well known.

Regarding what counts as a loved one, if you've acted like the team were loved ones (aka treating like family, or just having strong platonic affections towards them for a while) then sure I'd allow it. This would probably mean you've either opened up/shared a vulnerability with them, or they at least have influence at you (but influence is not a requirement, it's just an indicator-I'm not that mean).

If you just recently added a new guy to the team and haven't had a chance to hang out, then know probably not.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

1. Did your mum know Father was an otherworldly being when she 'dated' him?

Mom knew there was something up with Father; he was unlike any man she had ever met, he was just so much more there. I get what she meant, now, and once I found out about him I pressed her for more details.

She only knew him for a couple of hours but in that time they had sex. And she knows for sure he was the father; she not only was on birth control but wasn't even fertile at the time. Didn't seem to make a difference, though, and he's the only one who had even that opportunity.

She's never been interested in another man since, apparently. It's kinda...creepy.

2. Has Father attacked this dimension before, and if so how was he held at bay?

According to the Sanctuary Assistant (man, that's cumbersome -- I'll have to think of a nickname) he was here a couple of times before the visit that, er, made me. The bad news is, it wasn't anything that anyone did that made him leave; it's just too difficult to stay here for any length of time when you're from as far removed from here as he is. That's probably why he came up with this whole 'native-born half-breed anchor' deal to begin with.

Given how Ese (heh, see what I did there?) has suggested I spread the word of my mission far and wide to accelerate the process, I'm guessing the more people that know the truth, the more this reality weakens around me. So I'm not much for telling people the whole story about what's going on, right?

I did decide to tell the Dean when I was accepted here, though. Somebody in charge should know what's going on, and he's got the authority to tell teachers to let it go instead of insisting on some stupid trust exercise or something.

If I ever get in touch with this Doc Truth guy, he'll definitely be worth the risk of adding to the circle.

8. - Top - End - #98

here is details s you requested

1. his goals as a supervillain well he started as supervillain at start of puberty (about eight or nine) so his first goal was to make his uncle Mr. Cane proud the next when he got older was make money so he can live on his own by any means necessary. the third was to get revenge on society for not helping him and for his parents who died after he has a temper tantrum at the age of two. The forth was to be his own person to get himself out of the shadow of his uncle.
    2. His Uncle is a kingpin and supervillain that deals in illegal weapons alien tech and information to others for a price he has no real superpower he obtains his status by his connections and his wit that allowed him to get connections to alien snugglers, and ties to many other crime organizations. At least eighty percent of all crime organizations employ alien tech they got from him. he seems to be number one information broker to those do crime as well. He currently has a front of being a realtor tycoon and owns and sold some of the biggest properties in the city while running his illegal side of his business information brokering and weapon dealing and illegal alien tech merchant business.
    3. His parents are buried at the Halcyon City cemetery and how they got there is not a very long story. it was a normal Monday he was in his terrible twos at the time and wanted a toy but was told no. unhappy he did not get what he wanted he had a temper tantrum and he causes his parents to experience their fear enhanced that their hearts stopped and they collapsed and died right there.
    4. He did various crimes the largest is he kidnapped the mayor of the city and held him for money and badly injured a few guards with their own weapons and a few suffer serve PTSD due to effects of having their fears manipulated by him. A few almost died of a heart attack but were able to get first aid to save them by heroes.
    5. The hero that stopped him is retired know he was called Evolved who power allowed him to adapt to anything as such adapted him not to be affected by his power and made it useless on him and as such I surrendered and went through the legal process.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    Considering you have your face is revealed in the picture you gave for you character I find this hilarious. Like "my secret identity is actually Quentin" and everyone just looks at you like they already know. Its fantastic.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-05-14 at 08:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hey just a question for the DM, considering all the characters are really good and fleshed out but there are too many and some will be cut from the game. Will some that are cut be added to the game as NPCs? Personally I would love to play in the game but even if I don't make it I would like the character to possibly be in and have impact in the story. Because I think that my character can be a really good narrative foil to some of the other player characters, specifically Cassius in my opinion. Maybe have the cut character be student in the class or something. I don't know just thought it sounded cool but up to you.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-05-15 at 12:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbus View Post
    Hey just a question for the DM, considering all the characters are really good and fleshed out but there are too many and some will be cut from the game. Will some that are cut be added to the game as NPCs? Personally I would love to play in the game but even if I don't make it I would like the character to possibly be in and have impact in the story. Because I think that my character can be a really good narrative foil to some of the other player characters, specifically Cassius in my opinion. Maybe have the cut character be student in the class or something. I don't know just thought it sounded cool but up to you.
    Well that is a real issue. If people are happy to submit their PCs as NPCs if they do not get in, please let me know after recruitment, I can always find use for these characters. Take advantage of the character opinions some of you wrote. But I wouldn't do it without permission.

Quote Originally Posted by niw18 View Post
    here is details s you requested

1. his goals as a supervillain well he started as supervillain at start of puberty (about eight or nine) so his first goal was to make his uncle Mr. Cane proud the next when he got older was make money so he can live on his own by any means necessary. the third was to get revenge on society for not helping him and for his parents who died after he has a temper tantrum at the age of two. The forth was to be his own person to get himself out of the shadow of his uncle.
    2. His Uncle is a kingpin and supervillain that deals in illegal weapons alien tech and information to others for a price he has no real superpower he obtains his status by his connections and his wit that allowed him to get connections to alien snugglers, and ties to many other crime organizations. At least eighty percent of all crime organizations employ alien tech they got from him. he seems to be number one information broker to those do crime as well. He currently has a front of being a realtor tycoon and owns and sold some of the biggest properties in the city while running his illegal side of his business information brokering and weapon dealing and illegal alien tech merchant business.
    3. His parents are buried at the Halcyon City cemetery and how they got there is not a very long story. it was a normal Monday he was in his terrible twos at the time and wanted a toy but was told no. unhappy he did not get what he wanted he had a temper tantrum and he causes his parents to experience their fear enhanced that their hearts stopped and they collapsed and died right there.
    4. He did various crimes the largest is he kidnapped the mayor of the city and held him for money and badly injured a few guards with their own weapons and a few suffer serve PTSD due to effects of having their fears manipulated by him. A few almost died of a heart attack but were able to get first aid to save them by heroes.
    5. The hero that stopped him is retired know he was called Evolved who power allowed him to adapt to anything as such adapted him not to be affected by his power and made it useless on him and as such I surrendered and went through the legal process.
    Oh, Mr Cane is your Uncle. Alright fair enough.

You kidnapped the Mayor and killed your parents? Hardcore. As part of your sentencing, did the courts assign you a parole officer of some kind? Or maybe Evolve keeps checking up on you? How does Evolved treat you? Is he smothering helicopter mom, or more of a tough love kind of guy? Is there a lot of distrust, or does he genuinely believe in you? How does Scarecrow feel about Evolved-fear of the person who could put him back in prison, or a desire to impress this hero?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jak View Post

Given how Ese (heh, see what I did there?) has suggested I spread the word of my mission far and wide to accelerate the process, I'm guessing the more people that know the truth, the more this reality weakens around me. So I'm not much for telling people the whole story about what's going on, right?

I did decide to tell the Dean when I was accepted here, though. Somebody in charge should know what's going on, and he's got the authority to tell teachers to let it go instead of insisting on some stupid trust exercise or something.

If I ever get in touch with this Doc Truth guy, he'll definitely be worth the risk of adding to the circle.
    How does your father or his forces try to influence you or spread their power? Because from the sound of it, they are basically trapped in their world. Can they speak in dreams to cultists, trying to make more people aware that way? Can they send monsters into the world, spreading panic as a way to force you to show your power?

Also, how did you hear about Doc Truth? Where did you get that rumor, or from whom?

I don't get the Ese thing.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by CoreBrute23 View Post
    Well that is a real issue. If people are happy to submit their PCs as NPCs if they do not get in, please let me know after recruitment, I can always find use for these characters. Take advantage of the character opinions some of you wrote. But I wouldn't do it without permission.
    Yeah for sure not without permission, I for one will happily give permission if I don't make the cut. But of course hoping to make the cut first and foremost

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

@Binaltech There seems to be something missing from your backstory. Why did Erol decide to make a suit of armor and go patrolling for criminals that first night? What inspired him? You also said
    Erol also has an almost unhealthy compulsion to help everyone who he thinks is in some sort of trouble. This leads to him sticking his nose in things that she really shouldn’t involve himself in, like deeply personal issues or things that are way above his pay grade. This is mainly just something that’s been drilled in him from a young age
    Who drilled this compulsion into you?

What does your mum and sister (if she's not in school or college) do for a living? If your sister is in college, what's she studying to be?

Please make sure your backstory question is complete because I think this is missing something:
    How did you first meet your mentor?:
    I remembered that the first time I saw Mr. Gundar was when I was looking
    @Commisar So I was wondering more about Rosie. Usually the Bull has a very hard exterior and possibly demenour, but they are very passionate on the inside. Some of them are quite emotional. What's something that Rosie does or likes that doesn't quite fit with her tough exterior she shows off, and does she try to hide it? For example, a sincere love for Spanish Soap Operas, playing collectible card games, wants to join an acapella group, etc.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

@Commisar So I was wondering more about Rosie. Usually the Bull has a very hard exterior and possibly demenour, but they are very passionate on the inside. Some of them are quite emotional. What's something that Rosie does or likes that doesn't quite fit with her tough exterior she shows off, and does she try to hide it? For example, a sincere love for Spanish Soap Operas, playing collectible card games, wants to join an acapella group, etc.
    Hmm...

"What, you mean like my hobbies..? You looking to start an after school club for people or something..? Well, I guess, photography's pretty cool. I don't do much portrait photography, I prefer trying to catch moods? If that makes sense? The city at night is great for that, neon lights against a midnight blue sky, bonus points if you can get silhouettes framed against the light. It's just... Chill. I guess if the hero gig doesn't work out, I could always become a landscape photographer or something. Although the real money's in wedding's... Pretty sure I'd make people uncomfortable, though. I'd stick out, nice clothes are just... Well...

... What..? Look, it's dumb... Fine, but it doesn't get out of this room. I miss getting to wear nice fancy clothes. Metal feet means no shoes, they just get wrecked, and I'm not exactly built with elegance in mind. I don't mind practical stuff, in fact you could argue I'm actually saving money these days, but you know when you see a runway model, or a superstar. And they're wearing these beautiful dresses, or really intricate clothing? It just looks dumb on me now, or it gets ripped if I move even slightly wrong. Like I said, it's a dumb thing to complain about. It's just clothes, who really cares?
    "

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

15. - Top - End - #105

PirateGuy

How does your father or his forces try to influence you or spread their power? Because from the sound of it, they are basically trapped in their world. Can they speak in dreams to cultists, trying to make more people aware that way? Can they send monsters into the world, spreading panic as a way to force you to show your power?

Also, how did you hear about Doc Truth? Where did you get that rumor, or from whom?

I don't get the Ese thing.
    "esé = dude, bro, homie. Esé is also the singular masculine form of the Spanish demonstrative pronoun meaning this, as well as a letter in the Spanish alphabet. As a term of address, this term was popularized in Spanish-speaking regions of the United States."

Also, Sanctuary Assistant -- S.A. -- Esé. :D

People from Father's level of reality aren't trapped, per se, as much as they're just not able to get to this one easily or stay long. Sort of like deep-sea diving; you're on a time limit and you can't just fish for what you want because they can't survive at the surface.

I hadn't thought about sending visions or dreams; I'm not sure that's something that's do-able. The monsters probably are, though; once the arrogant bastard realizes that I'm not automatically on board with his plan, that might start happening.

As for Doctor Truth, I'm sad to say...the internet. I went looking for anything that sounded like it might have a chance of resisting Father, and I found reference to this Enchanter of the Universe guy on a few websites.

...okay, yes, they were conspiracy and urban myth sites, but all that means is nobody has proof, right?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Y'all still open to new interest? If so I'm thinking of a samurai-themed character.
    This is a signature.

17. - Top - End - #107

PirateGuy

I believe recruitment is still open for a couple of days; just take a look at the Playbooks already submitted and keep in mind there can't be any doubling up. :)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sarven View Post
    Y'all still open to new interest? If so I'm thinking of a samurai-themed character.
    You can absolutely apply. Samurai are always cool. Recruitment ends 17th May.

Here's the current list of applicants. I won't take multiple of the same playbook, so if you have the same as someone else, you are basically competing with them directly.

Current list of applicants:

Player Playbook Character
    Zero Prime The Nova Gravitas
    Awful The Outsider Ssirana-115
    roko10 The Protege Binaltech
    Comissar The Bull Rosie
    Ramsus The Legacy The Ruby Host
    Jumbus The Transformed Lagoon
    niw18 The Reformed The Scarecrow
    OutOfThyme The Doomed Legion
    Captain Jak The Doomed Mighty
    Thanqol The Beacon Sally Bitters, Saviour of the Universe

Have you played Masks before? The basic documents you need to play are available for free from the company website here: https://www.magpiegames.com/masks/ma...aybooks-moves/

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

You can absolutely apply. Samurai are always cool. Recruitment ends 17th May.

Here's the current list of applicants. I won't take multiple of the same playbook, so if you have the same as someone else, you are basically competing with them directly.

Current list of applicants:

Player Playbook Character
    Zero Prime The Nova Gravitas
    Awful The Outsider Ssirana-115
    roko10 The Protege Binaltech
    Comissar The Bull Rosie
    Ramsus The Legacy The Ruby Host
    Jumbus The Transformed Lagoon
    niw18 The Reformed The Scarecrow
    OutOfThyme The Doomed Legion
    Captain Jak The Doomed Mighty
    Thanqol The Beacon Sally Bitters, Saviour of the Universe

Have you played Masks before? The basic documents you need to play are available for free from the company website here: https://www.magpiegames.com/masks/ma...aybooks-moves/
    Cool, thanks for the links. I'll have a character written up ASAP.
    This is a signature.

20. - Top - End - #110

@Sarven

might I recommend mask wiki it has a lot of class and information as well

@CoreBrute23

1. I am in custody of the academy and have to wear monitoring equipment so staff always know where I am at all times and when I used my powers this only stops when I graduate but if I fail to I serve rest of the full sentence I would have which is another 27 years.

2. Evolved handles any paperwork regarding him and stays in touch with him, the school on his process and reports anything police might need to know. Evolved also checks up on him but also a foster parent to him.

3. He has some trust and faith him but not that much till proves himself but he also sees potential in the scarecrow that no one else sees and is why he worked and fought hard with the principle to get him into the school.

4. he has a rather flip flop relationship with evolved since he is his foster father. He admires him but at the same time, rebels against him as a typical teenager would especially against rules he feels restrict him for his past. he is aware that his fate in his foster fathers hands and tries best not to do anything but he tends to slip into villain methods out of habit at times. he fears Evolved's wife his foster mother who works in the school as it nurse/doctor as she is not as mild as her husband and is not afraid to bluntly put him in his place plus her healing methods with her powers is enough to even put him in a state of panic.
    Last edited by niw18; 2019-05-15 at 02:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Planetar

I added some reasoning behind Erol’s wanting to be a hero (basically idolizing the Paragons from a young age, plus his dad constantly teaching him to stand up for what’s right), as well as why he chose power armor.

As for what his mom and sister does:

“Mom’s working a 9-to-5 office job for a smaller company; Mr. Gundar offered her a job at Refract, but she turned that offer down because she felt it wasn’t right, that she’ll only get the job because of me rather than her own merits (Besides, it’s not like we’re that strapped for cash anyways). As for my sis, she’s currently blazing her way through a PhD in several biological fields, and is currently searching for internships and/or jobs in several companies. I heard her mention Somno-Tech offered her a pretty comfy job once or twice, though, which, I mean, it’s cool for her but on the other hand, well, Rosie happened, so I guess I’ll have to talk to her about that.”

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Alright Here's my attempt at a Janus

Spoiler: Black Lotus
    Show

Hero Name: Black Lotus

Look:
    • Male
    • White
    • Boring clothing
    • Concealing Costume.
    • Small Mask

Abilities:
    • Supernatural Senses
    • Energy Absorption

Labels:
    Danger: 0
    Freak: 0
    Savior: 0
    Supirior: 0
    Mundane: 3

Conditions
    Not yet.

Backstory:
    • When did you first put on the mask? Why?

It wasn't much of a mask at the time. Just a scarf. I only wore it to protect myself from the rubble... Anywho, I first put the mask on when I was in school. I was about 14. Some kid with superpowers went nuts. The class down the hall had collapsed and I figured I should make sure everyone was alright in there. The teacher died. I don't know what happened to the kid though.
    • Why do you keep a secret identity?

Simple, I have a Grandma she's no fighter. She can barely move. Someone who can find out who I am can easily find out where she is. Then her blood will be on my hands.
    • Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?

My Grandma. My parents knew, not anymore. They died in an explosion caused by a supervillain attack.
    • Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?

Other than the odd conspiracy theorists the Halcyon City Times seems to have to have a reporter that has it out for me: Xander Tally. He's run hundreds of articles about me. Saying that I'm everything from a psychotic delinquent to a cultural appropriator with my samurai Motif.
    • Why do you care about the team?

We're all in the first class at Pheonix academy in 15 years. I figure that we'll do better If we work together.

When our team first came together...
    We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Relationships
    _______ knew me from my civilian life first.

I refused to tell Xander Tally my secret identity when he asked.

Influence
    You look up to your teammates. They seem to have this hero thing figured out. Give influence to two of your team mates.

Janus Moves

The Mask: You wear a mask and hide your real
    identity. Choose what Label you try to embody
    while wearing your mask:
    ❑ Freak ✔ Danger ❑ Savior ❑ Superior
    Once per session, you can affirm either your
    heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane
    with your mask’s Label.

Mild-mannered: When you try to use your civilian
    identity to deceive, trick, or slip past someone,
    roll + Mundane. On a hit they buy your facade.
    On a 7-9, choose one:
    - you’re still under observation
    - you leave something incriminating behind
    - you’re forced to make a fool of yourself to
    sell it

Dangerous web: When you reveal a trap you’ve
    left for someone using your powers, roll + your
    mask’s Label. On a hit, your opponent trips into
    it, and you get an opening or opportunity against
    them. On a 10+, take +1 forward to pursuing
    it. On a miss, the trap inadvertently leads to a
    dangerous escalation.

Secret Identity
    Schoolwork Household chores, Close Relative
    This is a signature.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Had a look over Masks as a game and the way it is GMed and thought my character could use more development. More meat and potatoes to work with as a GM so to speak so it thought it would be a good idea to add this to his backstory.

"At my new school in Halcyon when I was 14, a villain attacked, he was small time but big muscles called himself The Boulder. Anyway he kept the student hostage until I would show myself, the teacher I was with at the time told me to hide out until a hero comes to save the day. But how long would that take and would the word even get out? I had powers I had a fighting chance but they kept me hidden away like I was just some normal dude. That's not me man, its not me, and the way this Boulder dude strutted around like he owned the place really pissed me off. So I told the teacher if he wanted to stop me he should tell someone who cares and went out to meet him. As soon as I showed my face he charged, it was easy enough to dodge but I knew if he got one solid hit on me I was gone and by the looks of it it was a dead or alive kind of deal. So I danced around him distracting him every now and again with water illusions and getting a good hit off every now and again. I could have won it, I could have won it man and when I looked around I saw students and teachers cheering me on. Finally that recognition they would have seen how powerful I really was I had the crowd in the palm of my hand. Until [he/she] arrived the hero of the city [hero name] told me I had done well but to leave it to the professionals. Just like that my spotlight was gone, I was just some average civilian and I resented [hero name] for that. They beat the villain with ease and later on they sat me down and talked to me, "you are lucky I came you know, he was a very dangerous man. He mentioned something about being hired by a black market dealer you would happen to know what he would have wanted from you, would you?". Sure I could have told [him/her] about my organs and how they would fetch a might fine price on the black market but I wasn't having any of it. They stole my spotlight, they stole what I wanted the most from everyone and I wasn't about to cooperate with someone like that no matter how good their intentions might be. I said I had no idea and left it at that. But all of that was so much more it was the day I decided to become a hero, no one was going to take that spotlight from me again."

I left the hero unnamed so that it can directly tie in the story of another player character if you want. Also of course the reason he joined is part of his toxic complex of needed recognition and superiority which will probably change throughout the story. Should also give an impression of his fighting style as more of a jumping around and going in for attacks at opportune moments using illusions popping up around the place, more in the service of finding attention and giving a performance but also using his speed to avoid hits.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-05-15 at 09:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Had a look over Masks as a game and the way it is GMed and thought my character could use more development. More meat and potatoes to work with as a GM so to speak so it thought it would be a good idea to add this to his backstory.

"At my new school in Halcyon when I was 14, a villain attacked, he was small time but big muscles called himself The Boulder. Anyway he kept the student hostage until I would show myself, the teacher I was with at the time told me to hide out until a hero comes to save the day. But how long would that take and would the word even get out? I had powers I had a fighting chance but they kept me hidden away like I was just some normal dude. That's not me man, its not me, and the way this Boulder dude strutted around like he owned the place really pissed me off. So I told the teacher if he wanted to stop me he should tell someone who cares and went out to meet him. As soon as I showed my face he charged, it was easy enough to dodge but I knew if he got one solid hit on me I was gone and by the looks of it it was a dead or alive kind of deal. So I danced around him distracting him every now and again with water illusions and getting a good hit off every now and again. I could have won it, I could have won it man and when I looked around I saw students and teachers cheering me on. Finally that recognition they would have seen how powerful I really was I had the crowd in the palm of my hand. Until [he/she] arrived the hero of the city [hero name] told me I had done well but to leave it to the professionals. Just like that my spotlight was gone, I was just some average civilian and I resented [hero name] for that. They beat the villain with ease and later on they sat me down and talked to me, "you are lucky I came you know, he was a very dangerous man. He mentioned something about being hired by a black market dealer you would happen to know what he would have wanted from you, would you?". Sure I could have told [him/her] about my organs and how they would fetch a might fine price on the black market but I wasn't having any of it. They stole my spotlight, they stole what I wanted the most from everyone and I wasn't about to cooperate with someone like that no matter how good their intentions might be. I said I had no idea and left it at that. But all of that was so much more it was the day I decided to become a hero, no one was going to take that spotlight from me again."

I left the hero unnamed so that it can directly tie in the story of another player character if you want. Also of course the reason he joined is part of his toxic complex of needed recognition and superiority which will probably change throughout the story. Should also give an impression of his fighting style as more of a jumping around and going in for attacks at opportune moments using illusions popping up around the place, more in the service of finding attention and giving a performance but also using his speed to avoid hits.
    Oh. That's quite a departure from the whole 'Not sure I want to be a hero, just here cause mom/the court told me to' but it kinda works. The Delinquent who likes the idea of people cheering him for once, rather than jeering him, chasing the spotlight sorta at odds with the surfer vibe facade he tries to put on.

I'm gonna have you guys basically start at the first day of school at Phoenix Academy, so the school that was attacked when you were 14 was probably your previous school. If you make it in the game we can discuss which hero makes sense to have saved you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarven View Post
    Backstory:

It wasn't much of a mask at the time. Just a scarf. I only wore it to protect myself from the rubble... Anywho, I first put the mask on when I was in school. I was about 14. Some kid with superpowers went nuts. The class down the hall had collapsed and I figured I should make sure everyone was alright in there. The teacher died. I don't know what happened to the kid though.
    That's still a leap from 'stopping one kid' to 'I must put on samurai cosplay and call myself the Black Lotus'.

Also where did your powers come from?

My Grandma. My parents knew, not anymore. They died in an explosion caused by a supervillain attack.
    Which supervillain? Did they kill your parents because of your actions, or because they knew who you were?

Other than the odd conspiracy theorists the Halcyon City Times seems to have to have a reporter that has it out for me: Xander Tally. He's run hundreds of articles about me. Saying that I'm everything from a psychotic delinquent to a cultural appropriator with my samurai Motif.

We're all in the first class at Pheonix academy in 15 years. I figure that we'll do better If we work together.
    Yeah why does your character have a samurai motif? You haven't really explained how the sword/bow/Samurai gear fits in with your powers.

Also your current motivation for caring for the team is a little weak, could you make it stronger somehow?

Relationships
    _______ knew me from my civilian life first.

I refused to tell Xander Tally my secret identity when he asked.
    Relationships are supposed to be between yourself and the other Player characters, not NPCs like Xander Tally. So you should probably leave that blank for now.

@roko10 What did your dad do for a living before he passed away? And how many years ago was that? You guys are all about 14-15-16 right now.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh. That's quite a departure from the whole 'Not sure I want to be a hero, just here cause mom/the court told me to' but it kinda works. The Delinquent who likes the idea of people cheering him for once, rather than jeering him, chasing the spotlight sorta at odds with the surfer vibe facade he tries to put on.

I'm gonna have you guys basically start at the first day of school at Phoenix Academy, so the school that was attacked when you were 14 was probably your previous school. If you make it in the game we can discuss which hero makes sense to have saved you.
    Yeah I was thinking previous school and its a bit of a departure from mum forced me to so I will rewrite that. But yeah there is quite a conflict with in him, in a sense his personality is chill surfer dude but his toxic complex often takes over especially when it comes to fighting or being in the presence of someone who genuinely is more powerful than him in a superpower sense and he often lets it dwell keeping it on the inside while keeping the surfer dude outer. So it is a primary part of his personality and is set out in the backstory but in a average day to day basis he interacts chill and acts like he doesn't care. Though if you think that the mum forcing me thing is better I could but it back in and remove the last thing about it making me want to become a hero and have it be a reinforcing moment of him having to chase the spotlight so he gets the credit he thinks he deserves and a disliking of established heroes so when he didn't apply to Phoenix Academy and instead got forced into it he went with flow and thought it could give him that opportunity to shine while pretending to dislike his forced departure from home. I don't know let me know which angle you like.
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2019-05-15 at 11:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I kind of stumbled on this thread a few days ago, got interested enough to read into the game a bit. I'm a huge fan of the genre, and wound up being struck by a character concept that I found very interesting, so I'm throwing my own hat into the ring. I'm fairly new to Masks in general (IE, I remember vaguely hearing about it in Kickstarter because the artist for a web-comic I read happened to be doing the art and actually realised it was a thing you can play when I stumbled on this thread), but it's a nice simple system so I don't expect I'll have too much trouble figuring it out and character creation is nice and simple. My guy's a Janus (timing, huh?), the son and heir-apparent to one of the world's richest, most influential businessmen. The conflict between his hero persona and private life comes mainly from the fact that his family utterly disapproves of his decision to be a superhero at all, and are slowly escalating their efforts to get him to give up and go to business school instead. More detail in the playbook proper.

Spoiler: Character Submission
    Show

THE JANUS
    HERO NAME: X-celerate
    Look
    • Man
    • White
    • Upscale clothing
    • Concealing costume
    • Helmet

Abilities
    Your appearance is unchanged by your abilities, and you can keep your powers hidden. You have heightened physical abilities (strength, agility, toughness), and choose two unique abilities:
    -Energy Absorption: Jason figures out that he can manipulate kinetic energy in a very small area around him a couple of years ago. He's not sure where the power came from, or if he had it for longer than that and just never noticed. He can absorb incoming kinetic energy to make pretty much anything that relies on force to hurt him a bit less effective. It's not going to make him immune to bullets any time soon, but it's about as good as really good body armor and your average punch isn't going to accomplish anything if he's paying attention.

-Impossible Mobility: The flipside, Jason can amp up his own kinetic energy to move a hell of a lot faster than the average person, and jump a lot higher too. When he's really putting work in he can do the hundred-meter-dash faster than a drag racer or jump over a three-storey building. He's not going to outrun an airplane, though, much less a bullet.

Moment of Truth
    The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see
    it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the
    damn day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…

Team Moves
    When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person
    wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If
    the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.
    When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you
    really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

POTENTIAL
    ❑ >❑ >❑ >❑ >❑
    Every time you roll a miss on a move, mark potential.

Advancement
    When you fill your potential track, you advance. Choose from the list below.
    [] Take another move from your playbook
    [] Take another move from your playbook
    [] Take a move from another playbook
    [] Take a move from another playbook
    [] Someone permanently loses Influence over you; add +1 to a Label
    [] Change your mask’s Label; add +1 to your mask’s new Label
    [] Unlock your Moment of Truth
    [] Take drives from the Beacon’s playbook

When you’ve taken five advances from the top list, you can take advances from the list below.
    [] Unlock your Moment of Truth after you’ve used it once
    [] Change playbooks
    [] Take an adult move
    [] Take an adult move
    [] Lock a Label, and add +1 to a Label of your choice
    [] Retire from the life or become a paragon of the city

Other Moves

Janus Moves
    [x] The Mask: You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask:
    [x] Saviour
    Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label. When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.
    [x] Game face: When you commit yourself to save someone or defeat a terrible enemy, mark a condition and take +1 ongoing to all rolls in direct pursuit of that goal. At the end of any scene in which you don’t make progress towards that goal, mark a condition. When you fulfill your goal, mark potential.
    [x] I am what you see: When you spend time talking to someone about your identity, you can ask them which Label they want to impose on you; their player will tell you honestly. If you accept what they tell you, take +1 forward and either mark potential or clear a condition.

Secret Identity
    Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.
    Job: Waiter (After his dad cut him off from his expense accounts, he needs to work part-time just to afford the basics. Thankfully he's been at enough fancy dinners to know what the wait staff is supposed to do.
    School: Schoolwork (Jason van der Merwe can't be attending Phoenix Academy if he's getting a degree somewhere else, now can he? Even if pretty much all his courses are online...)
    Social: Family obligations (He might not be getting a big allowance any more, but Howard van der Merwe still expects his son to show up for the occasional big fundraiser, gala and family party. And Jason's not ready to burn his bridges.)
    When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you’re managing your obligations. On a hit, things are going pretty well—you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations. On a 7-9, you’ve lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven’t given your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite you in the butt.

Labels
    (at character creation, added +1 to Superior)
    DANGER: 0
    FREAK: -1
    SAVIOR: 0
    SUPERIOR: +1
    MUNDANE: +3

Conditions
    [] Afraid (-2 to directly engage a threat)
    [] Angry (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask)
    [] Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
    [] Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers)
    [] Insecure (-2 to defend someone or reject others’ influence)

Backstory
    I first put on the mask about a year ago, when I was fifteen. I technically had most of the costume already; my dad got me the fancy, neo-polymer bodysuit a few months after I first figured out I had powers, since normal clothing doesn't interact too well with running at highway speeds, but I never really... Did anything with it until I saw one of my classmates at Goldstein High drive her car halfway off a bridge right in front of me on the way home from class. I was on my motorcycle (yeah, I ride a motor bike even though I can beat it in a race no problem. People ask questions when someone on foot breaks the speed limit), already had the suit on underneath my normal clothes, so I just... Kind of ripped them off, leaving a grey suit with a white X on the chest and a big grey and black bike mask. I ditched my bike, got her out of the car before it went into the river, brought her back to the bridge safe. There were a bunch of cars stopped, people gawking, but Marcy was the only one who might have recognized me before I ditched my clothes and she didn't see me change. Everyone thought I was a superhero, so I said I was X-celerate. Because of the design on my suit, right? It's kind of dumb, but it was the first thing I could think of. I wound up in the newspaper and everything! It felt... Good, to finally use my powers for something that mattered. My dad was furious, of course.

• Why do you keep a secret identity?
    My dad's Howard van der Merwe. Maybe you've heard of him? President of the Apex Conglomerate? Eighth richest man in America? Multibillionaire who sits on the boards of fifteen of the Fortune 500? So yeah, my family's kind of a big deal. We've got a few enemies as it is, anyone important enough does, but the one thing we don't do is make supervillains mad at us. Even if my family's own security's good enough to stay safe, we've got thousands of employees all across the country, and the last thing we need is to get Doctor Hate or Lord Darkstorm going on a rampage to get back at us. I've wanted to be a hero ever since that day on the bridge, but my dad forbid it. And it makes sense, right? Half of being a superhero is fighting villains, and that means making enemies. Lots of people can get away with that, but I'm too public, connected to too many people. Jason van der Merwe can't be a superhero or it could get a whole bunch of people hurt. Period. But... That doesn't mean I can't be him sometimes, and X-celerate at others. I've got a better mask now, a custom carbon fiber BMX helmet I bought before my dad cut off my expense account, and my suit makes as good a hero costume as anything. And Phoenix doesn't make the names of its students public. As long as nobody figures out who's under the mask, my family doesn't lose anything and I can still make a difference.

My mom, my dad, my sister and our chief of security, William. It's not like I could keep it from my family. I got my suit from my dad in the first place! And the others have all seen me wearing it and using my powers, since I didn't need to keep them secret at home (my dad didn't want anyone outside the family to know I have powers, probably because it means the enemies we do have don't know about them). Oh, and Principal Hellbinder and the Phoenix Academy admissions staff, of course, though the application process there is ironclad so I probably don't have to worry too much about them spilling my secrets. I mean, I guess it was a bit of a risk applying at Phoenix, but... Given the choice between learning how to be a hero from the best or just muddling through as best I can, the choice is pretty obvious, right?

My dad. He hates what I'm doing, hates that I didn't listen to him when he told me I wasn't allowed to do it. He cut me off from the family's fortune when I signed up for Phoenix, and I don't get through a week without sitting through a rant on the phone or getting a long email about how I'm putting the family name at risk, or mom's life, or all those people I've never even met at the Apex offices. Sometimes it seems like it would be easier to just give up, pack up my costume and head off to Harvard like he wants. I mean, lots of people would give up an eye to have the opportunities I'm passing up, wouldn't they? Then I remember that feeling, back on the bridge, and I push the frustration back. I'm pretty sure the next time I wind up in the news he'll absolutely blow a gasket, and he's threatened to disown me entirely if I actually finish my years at Phoenix Academy. So yeah, one of the fifty-odd most powerful humans on Earth would be a hell of a lot happier if X-celerate just gave up and stopped existing one day. It's not a problem, though. It's not like he would do anything to really hurt me, and he'll come around once I show I can handle it.

At the end of the day, these are the people who look at me and see a hero. X-celerate, not a van der Merwe. Not the black sheep of the family, or some rich kid, or the son of one of the richest men in America. They... We, are going to be the next generation of superheroes. That means something to the world, and being a part of it means something to me.

When our team first came together...

We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are theyimportant?

Relationships
    _____________________ knew you from your civilian life first.
    You refused to tell ___________________ your secret identity when they asked.

Influence:
    You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them Influence over you.

I... Think I've done this right. Please feel free to throw some questions at me if you have any, but I've got a few little facts that don't fit well into the backstory elements there.

-Jason's dad is very much not on the up-and-up. While he's no supervillain, when you have fingers in all of the pies, you're going to get involved in some shady business. And he definitely knows a few supervillains, not to mention all the corporate sociopaths that tend to complicate life as a hero. Howard would not hesitate for an instant to sic a villain on his son if he thought it would get him to give up the mask and go back to being the family heir like he's supposed to.
    -Jason's powers are the result of genetic engineering performed on him at his father's request before he was born. He doesn't know this, and his dad's not telling any time soon. (I haven't actually decided why yet. I figure that can start to take shape later, if it starts to look important).
    -Jason's mom is a famous pianist, and has always been kind of cold to him. They aren't particularly close, though he does get along very well with his younger sister Lilith. She's probably 80% of the reason he can get through family gatherings these days, and the only person he ever shows his vulnerable side to as of the start of the game.
    -In case it isn't obvious... Jason is pretty much a ticking time bomb. He's putting himself under a hilarious amount of pressure, bottling up his issues and has very little by way of emotional support early on. In-character, he thinks the team needs him because he's got his **** together and is a capable, intelligent leader. Practically, without some friends to lean on he's going to explode. Big time.

Oh, and I was kind of waffling on his Mask Label. I figured Freak worked well enough to represent a guy who casually violates the laws of physics, but I'd like a second opinion on that one. His main conflict is in actually using his powers; in his secret identity, he never does anything with them if he can avoid it. When the Mask is on, he revels in them and uses them every chance he gets, turning into more than a bit of an adrenaline-junky. Is Freak the right way to represent that?
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2019-05-16 at 01:44 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Colossus in the Playground

Ooo, I like Jason. I love characters whose entire lives are fundamentally unsustainable and he's a perfect example of that.
    We must hurry if we wish to win the game before we realize the game is pointless.

28. - Top - End - #118

Planetar

@roko10 What did your dad do for a living before he passed away? And how many years ago was that? You guys are all about 14-15-16 right now.
    "My dad died five years ago when I was 10, and I honestly never had any idea what job he had. Each time I asked him, he'd just go silent and then changes the topic. It's something well-paying though; mom's working more out of a sense of obligation rather than any money problems, since our savings gained from dad's work is enough to let us life comfortably for the rest of our lives."

(OOC: This is basically me giving you carte blanche to do whatever you want with Erol's dad, as long as it's something sufficiently dramatic. The only details that are fixed is that a). it's something he doesn't want Erol to know about and b). it's something very well-paying. It's probably also important to know that Erol and his sister got their smarts from him, so there's that too.)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah I was thinking previous school and its a bit of a departure from mum forced me to so I will rewrite that. But yeah there is quite a conflict with in him, in a sense his personality is chill surfer dude but his toxic complex often takes over especially when it comes to fighting or being in the presence of someone who genuinely is more powerful than him in a superpower sense and he often lets it dwell keeping it on the inside while keeping the surfer dude outer. So it is a primary part of his personality and is set out in the backstory but in a average day to day basis he interacts chill and acts like he doesn't care. Though if you think that the mum forcing me thing is better I could but it back in and remove the last thing about it making me want to become a hero and have it be a reinforcing moment of him having to chase the spotlight so he gets the credit he thinks he deserves and a disliking of established heroes so when he didn't apply to Phoenix Academy and instead got forced into it he went with flow and thought it could give him that opportunity to shine while pretending to dislike his forced departure from home. I don't know let me know which angle you like.
    No no it's fine, keep it as is. You can tell people 'augh, my mum made me go to Phoenix Academy' but secretly you were really keen on it. Maybe when someone actually meets your mum, she says wasn't actually that keen but you 'basically begged to go' or something.

Does he have any 'bad friends', you know, the guys who are considered 'bad influences', who might have gang connections or henchmen on the side for extra cash etc? These are probably not friends he has in Phoenix Academy, but it's up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    So, I kind of stumbled on this thread a few days ago, got interested enough to read into the game a bit. I'm a huge fan of the genre, and wound up being struck by a character concept that I found very interesting, so I'm throwing my own hat into the ring. I'm fairly new to Masks in general (IE, I remember vaguely hearing about it in Kickstarter because the artist for a web-comic I read happened to be doing the art and actually realised it was a thing you can play when I stumbled on this thread), but it's a nice simple system so I don't expect I'll have too much trouble figuring it out and character creation is nice and simple. My guy's a Janus (timing, huh?), the son and heir-apparent to one of the world's richest, most influential businessmen. The conflict between his hero persona and private life comes mainly from the fact that his family utterly disapproves of his decision to be a superhero at all, and are slowly escalating their efforts to get him to give up and go to business school instead. More detail in the playbook proper.

I... Think I've done this right. Please feel free to throw some questions at me if you have any, but I've got a few little facts that don't fit well into the backstory elements there.

-Jason's dad is very much not on the up-and-up. While he's no supervillain, when you have fingers in all of the pies, you're going to get involved in some shady business. And he definitely knows a few supervillains, not to mention all the corporate sociopaths that tend to complicate life as a hero. Howard would not hesitate for an instant to sic a villain on his son if he thought it would get him to give up the mask and go back to being the family heir like he's supposed to.
    -Jason's powers are the result of genetic engineering performed on him at his father's request before he was born. He doesn't know this, and his dad's not telling any time soon. (I haven't actually decided why yet. I figure that can start to take shape later, if it starts to look important).
    -Jason's mom is a famous pianist, and has always been kind of cold to him. They aren't particularly close, though he does get along very well with his younger sister Lilith. She's probably 80% of the reason he can get through family gatherings these days, and the only person he ever shows his vulnerable side to as of the start of the game.
    -In case it isn't obvious... Jason is pretty much a ticking time bomb. He's putting himself under a hilarious amount of pressure, bottling up his issues and has very little by way of emotional support early on. In-character, he thinks the team needs him because he's got his **** together and is a capable, intelligent leader. Practically, without some friends to lean on he's going to explode. Big time.

Oh, and I was kind of waffling on his Mask Label. I figured Freak worked well enough to represent a guy who casually violates the laws of physics, but I'd like a second opinion on that one. His main conflict is in actually using his powers; in his secret identity, he never does anything with them if he can avoid it. When the Mask is on, he revels in them and uses them every chance he gets, turning into more than a bit of an adrenaline-junky. Is Freak the right way to represent that?
    Very nice stuff, I really like this kid. I have thoughts on why your dad might have genetically engineered you, which I can keep as a surprise or we can workshop it together if you like.

Regarding Masks label, having it be Freak means you want people to see you (or your super identity) as Strange, Unique and powerful. If you want another opinion, you could go with Savior, you want people to see you as a Defender, a Stalwart Guardian or Selfless-protector-basically you want to be seen like a Superman or All Might Character (not powers wise, but your demenor). Alternatively you could go with Superior, when you want others to see you as crafty, cunning, always one step ahead-basically a Batman or The Question.

As for how you attend Phoenix Academy, you are absolutely right that student identities are a tightly guarded secret. However I want to know how you attend classes. You can attend classes without a mask, as all the students are required to sign an NDA to not reveal identities of the other students -but again, teenagers are emotional and make stupid choices, so that's a slim possibility. Alternatively, you can attend all classes in your costume with a mask on-you kind of stick out. Another option that Phoenix Academy provides is a false cover-they give you a fake name, colored contacts, prosthetic nose, very convincing wig, to just make you look like a completely different person so others can't reveal your identity as a billionaire's son.

Finally regarding your responsibility schoolwork, online courses is a bit weak, I was wondering if we could make it stronger. You could have your schoolwork be the stuff Phoenix Academy gives you as homework (there is a lot to learn), or you could do the Sabrina/American Dragon thing and attend both Phoenix Academy and a normal public school. Say you are registered to take classes in a normal school, but there's a teleporter* set up in a janitor's closet that you can use to go to Phoenix Academy and back again.

"Jason van der Merwe can't be X-celerate. I just saw him in math class and X-celerate is all the way on the island competing in the Phoenix Academy Sports Day relay race."

That means you have double the workload-you've got the studies in your normal school and the extra studies you have in Phoenix Academy, while also trying not to let others figure out you are teleporting between the two.

*We can say Phoenix Academy set up the teleporter. It's up to you who in the public school (maybe the headmaster knows, or maybe only the Janitor knows) knows about the whole jumping between schools thing.

What do you think?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Final character thoughts on the two last entries

Spoiler: In Character Thoughts
    Show

X-celerate: "So I'm just walking around minding my own business and this dude dead ass walks in wearing a helmet. So I'm like look at this duuuude and thought it would be a good time to remind him that we are at a superhero school no need to keep your costume on. So then he says something about having to keep his identity a secret less the word gets out about him, that sounded like a challenge. So you know first chance I get when he's not looking I try removing the mask that is when I first saw his ability first my hand were around his helmet next they were smacked straight down. Super speed or at least that what I can see he has right now. He repeats the whole secret identity thing and I tell him its just a joke but I could tell he was pretty serious about the whole thing. Aside from that the dude seems pretty chill so I sort of gave up on the whole remove his helmet to get a rise out of him thing."

Black Lotus: "Not a hour since the last dude comes in with a helmet another dude comes in with a mask. This day was just getting better though I thought it best not to do try and remove his mask the first dude had super speed but this guy is carrying around a sword. So naturally its best not to test his temper too much. He kept all mysterious so I didn't get too much about the guy unfortunately but the sword looks cool."