Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Question about fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by Conradine View Post
    I'd like to write a d&d themed novel, so, two question:

1- may I post it in this forum?

2- if yes, where? In what section?

Thanks in advance.
    Not a mod, but:

From previous answers relating to, say, posting D&D session write-ups (see below), the main concern will be what kind of conversation you expect from this posting. If all you want is to start a thread and just post what you write, not expecting a back-and-forth, then this is not the place for it - I recommend livejournal or some other personal blogging site. You risk running afoul of the rule against double posting, for example.

If what you want is get feedback about what you post, world building would be my guess - you can start there and if the mods feel it is in the wrong place, they'll move it for you. But beware that if you post once and no-one comments, you should not just keep posting. That would be back to the above scenario, where the rules against double-posting will apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    I recently started a 'Campaign Journal' thread in the Roleplaying Games section, to provide recaps to a RL group member that would be unable to attend for a time. However, as far as I am aware, I am the only member of this group to have an account here. This being the case, would it be acceptable for me to repeat post if no one else has a comment on it?

If this has been addressed, I didn't see the rule for it. Thanks for your time.
    Sheriff: Not really, no. We have a rule against double posting, which exists to prevent a variety of ills. One of those is that if the topic is not of interest to other posters, we don't want one poster to just keep at it alone, piling post on post. This seems to apply with full force to a campaign journal as much as any other kind of thread. If no one is interested enough to comment on your post, it suggests perhaps additional updates aren't warranted. If this is just between you another person, perhaps a Private Message, email, or blog would serve better.
    Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-10 at 11:34 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Two other points of note:

If you want to write a specifically D&D based novel instead of a more general litRPG, be very conscious what has and has not been released as open content. Rich had a scrape with that early on, and you'll notice that he's careful what he can or cannot say/use.

And if you're looking to advertise, there are rules specifically forbidding that. It's okay if you want to host it yourself and aren't charging anything for it; in that case, having a link in your sig is probably the best move. But posting specifically to advertise your product will look a lot like spam, and if it's a paid product will get you actioned pretty hard.
    Last edited by Anymage; 2019-05-10 at 02:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Closed Account

Ok, thanks

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    Two other points of note:

If you want to write a specifically D&D based novel instead of a more general litRPG, be very conscious what has and has not been released as open content. Rich had a scrape with that early on, and you'll notice that he's careful what he can or cannot say/use.
    That was a joke. Now, what does and does not constitute parody (as well as other details concerning fan fiction in regards to copyright law) is a significantly more detailed issue that cannot be explored on the forum.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2