New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Are Dragons Considered To Be A Kaiju?

I'm just curious. It just occurred to me that dragons consider being a kaiju: 1. There are colossal. 2. They have special powers. 3. They can fight. So I just want to know are dragons considered to be a kaiju?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Are Dragons Considered To Be A Kaiju?

Depends.

Do we consider Godzilla a dragon?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Kaiju is a movie term, so it depends on if you're talking in general or about a movie where a dragon rampages through Tokyo.
    Now with half the calories!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Depends.

Mutated Dinosaur but some people are still debating about that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Depends.

King Ghidorah certainly is

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Kaiju literally means "strange beast," and roughly means "monster," so by strict definition yes.

However, you're going colloquially.

the proper term for what you're looking for is "Daikaiju," or "Giant Monster," and in that case, it really depends on how big the dragon is.

I don't know what the official cut-off point is for size, but I'm gonna suggest that if a dragon is large enough to carry off an elephant like a hawk with a rabbit, it's a Kaiju.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Kaiju literally means "strange beast," and roughly means "monster," so by strict definition yes.

However, you're going colloquially.

the proper term for what you're looking for is "Daikaiju," or "Giant Monster," and in that case, it really depends on how big the dragon is.

I don't know what the official cut-off point is for size, but I'm gonna suggest that if a dragon is large enough to carry off an elephant like a hawk with a rabbit, it's a Kaiju.
    At the same time a dragon might not count as a beast. It might depend on the intelligence of the dragon.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Generally no - though if you're going to restrict the definition to truly massive beasts with weird powers the technical case gets pretty easy. It wouldn't be unreasonable to consider Reign of Fire a Kaiju movie, to pick one obvious point of overlap, though it also wouldn't be particularly helpful as a classification.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    At the same time a dragon might not count as a beast. It might depend on the intelligence of the dragon.
    The strict definition of a beast literally just means an animal--which is to say, a complex living organism that isn't a plant or a fungus.

Since even humans are animals, I don't think that even a dragon that's a 999 googolplex times the intellect of the gestalt consciousness of every scientist and philosopher who ever lived and ever will wouldn't meet the strict definition of beast, unless the dragon in question is also a tree or a robot in which case you're stretching the definition of dragon a tadd.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

That said, if you're going to try and use the connotations of words in a way that isn't outright deceptive, using the term "beast" for humans as a whole is incredibly dubious (particularly brutish and violent humans, sure). Some hyperintelligent creature far beyond humans is if anything a worse use.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Depends on the type of dragon. For most, Kaiju aren't really thought to be of as highly intelligent so the super smart dragons of D&D? No, they aren't kaiju. Now kaiju are sometimes portrayed as particularly in tune with nature/their surroundings, which fits 'wisdom' for some, but few are flat out intelligent as we define it. And smart dragons don't fit for the same reason. Dumb ones? They could, if they get big enough.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

There are a ton of dragon-like kaiju - Ghidorah, for instance - but kaiju have such a diversity of designs and origins that such a generic non-specific term is the best you can hope for to communicate the idea, even into other languages.

I would say a dragon is not a kaiju if they're outside of Tokusatsu or those working in that pastiche like Pacific Rim, because at a certain point you could just say any monster is a kaiju and it loses any frame of reference when discussing it. For example, if someone asked for a kaiju movie and you pointed them towards the Hobbit trilogy on the basis that you'd have some scenes of a fire-breathing monster destroying a town for like eight minutes but as nothing else about those movies are kaiju or kaiju-esque they're going to be confused.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2019-05-11 at 04:57 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The strict definition of a beast literally just means an animal--which is to say, a complex living organism that isn't a plant or a fungus.

Since even humans are animals, I don't think that even a dragon that's a 999 googolplex times the intellect of the gestalt consciousness of every scientist and philosopher who ever lived and ever will wouldn't meet the strict definition of beast, unless the dragon in question is also a tree or a robot in which case you're stretching the definition of dragon a tadd.
    In Western Culture sure. Other cultures have different, what's the word, connotations? behind dragons. Like I think Eastern Dragons were thought to be more divine beings, IIRC.

Besides that, lots of cultures and people today don't consider humans to be beasts either. Like the saying; 'not fit for man or beast?'

So the idea that being intelligent separates you from beasts is well established throughout history. It may not be perfectly accurate definition wise, but it's an old bias that's never really gone away either.

Like, for example, their are still scientists today who will insist that animals (all animals that aren't human) aren't capable of any sort of actual thought or emotion. That they are basically fleshy computers acting on stimuli.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2019-05-11 at 12:02 AM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Which dragons?

Ancalagon the Black? Sure

Spoiler: Ancalagon
    Show

Errol? No.
    Spoiler: Errol
    Show
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Errol? No.
    Bwahaha!
    Errol is likely also the least divine dragon you would ever find.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

If you're going with mythology, an oriental 'lung' type dragon wouldn't be a Kaiju, because it's a 'familiar' creature. It's normal enough that it's had a big impact on culture; it belongs in the zodiac and other cosmology, it's in a huge deal of art and people're often described as dragons or tigers as if they were normal, albiet rare, creatures. a foreigner could almost look at it and think it was a once-common creature that went extinct. Griphons and western dragons* have nowhere near that level of cultural impact. Only unicorns approach that level of realness.

*the terrifying kind, rather than the large amphibians people used to slay.

So, I would think a western style Ancient Dragon, Krakken or Tarrasque could be A Kaiju. They're different enough.

Dragon turtles and Kirin would be normal.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    King Ghidorah certainly is
    Why?

Charizard is not a dragon type. Just because something is a large, winged lizard that breaths fire that automatically makes it a dragon? Get your facts straight, and as we all know Pokemon is 100% accurate and reliable for facts!

Moving on, is Trogdor a kaiju?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, they may not technically be kaiju, but if it stomps like a kaiju, has energy breath like a kaiju...
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Well, Trogdor was a man.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Well, Trogdor was a man.
    He was a dragon-man.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

He was a dragon-man.
    Or maybe...he was just a dragon.

But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOR!

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Or maybe...he was just a dragon.

But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOR!
    Burninating the countryside! Burninating the peasants!

Back on topic if dragons are kaiju would that mean the name of the series is "How to Train Your Kaiju"? I'd totally watch a film (series) about viking learning to ride giant, Japanese monsters.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Why?

Charizard is not a dragon type. Just because something is a large, winged lizard that breaths fire that automatically makes it a dragon? Get your facts straight, and as we all know Pokemon is 100% accurate and reliable for facts!

To be fair, Mega Charizard X is a Fire/Dragon Type.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    To be fair, Mega Charizard X is a Fire/Dragon Type.
    What are you? Some kind of guy that kept up after gen 1?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

What are you? Some kind of guy that kept up after gen 1?
    Uh yes.

25. - Top - End - #25

Uh yes.
    Oh. That's cool. I could never keep up. Just kind of lost interest in it. But to each their own. No judgement for having a hobby.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh. That's cool. I could never keep up. Just kind of lost interest in it. But to each their own. No judgement for having a hobby.
    No biggie. I'm a generation 1 fan myself but I did keep track of the game being updated as well.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I'm just curious. It just occurred to me that dragons consider being a kaiju: 1. There are colossal. 2. They have special powers. 3. They can fight. So I just want to know are dragons considered to be a kaiju?
    No.

Dragons are a kind of kami.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

They appear on the kaijumatic*, which means they're kaiju by at least one definition, their definition being a "theatrically-released, feature-length, live-action-film giant monster... ...What's a giant? Something over eight feet tall, long, or wide as a general rule of thumb, with some exceptions; one being something that was tiny growing many times larger to a menacing size (like the Killer Shrews), the other being the exclusion of mundane creatures of unexceptional size that are still living on Earth (like an elephant)." This definition includes things like the Xenomorphs from Alien and some random giant geese as well. On the other hand you could use a much stricter definition of a kaiju being a monster of at least 100 feet that first appeared in a Japanese or closely Japanese inspired work, which might disqualify even the specifically named kaiju in Pacific Rim.

So I guess the question is: what do you want a kaiju to be? Is a dragon that?

*These guys have a great power level classification system by the way, worth a gander if you enjoy thinking about "who would win in a fight".
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-05-12 at 09:44 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    No.

Dragons are a kind of kami.
    If being a deity disqualified you from being a kaiju then that would exclude Mothra, King Ceaser, and a couple other Godzilla affiliated monsters.

Likewise, several Godzilla films depict the monsters as being sapient, so sapience is not a disqualifier.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

If being a deity disqualified you from being a kaiju then that would exclude Mothra, King Ceaser, and a couple other Godzilla affiliated monsters.
    The distinction is that they only exist in their own fiction, dragons as kami are a concept which predates the idea of kaiju, which only really arose when paleontology started discovering large critters and didn't actually enter common coinage until the movies.