Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D 3.5 Level 1 Dungeon on Discord

Hello friends,

I've found I have a consistent amount of time with nothing to do on Friday afternoons from roughly 5pm to 7pm PST. (that's 9-11 EST/Board time) and I'd like to fill that time with some gaming.

To start out I plan to run a level 1 sort of mini dungeon. The whole module is about 8 pages long. This would then segue into a larger, more sandboxy campaign set in an ancient world expy kind of world, where you've got greeks/romans at the center, and you'd travel around there and beyond, to other ancient style cultures.

Oh do note, that 7pm is just my dinner time, I'll try to come back as quickly as I can so we can play some more, late late into the night. But depending on how many dishes there are, and how conversation flows, I don't have a set time I'd be back, then. Only know that once I am back, I can play very late into the evening/next morning.

Let me know if you're interested, thanks everyone!
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: D&D 3.5 Level 1 Dungeon on Discord

Posting interest. Will need to work up a character. Might play a gnome of some sort; still working out the ideas in my head.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

3. - Top - End - #3

OldWizardGuy

Interested, but fixed time slots are a rare commodity. My schedule is about to change up, the slot is not currently free but could possibly become so. As a sidenote, if I were to show up only after your dinnertime and participate for that chunk of time, would that be permissible?
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am interested. I'd probably like to hear something about the minidungeon before putting together a character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you for your interest everyone. If everyone is available to play later, I'd be glad to extend our playtime. I don't want to leave anyone behind though. If you don't mind being an NPC for the first hourish we play, it shouldn't be so bad.

The first dungeon takes place in an ancient Tor, a tomb built into the hills by tribes long ago. A storm is brewing and forces you to see shelter where you can. This ancient cave into the hill is the sturdiest thing you can find.

If we were to give this a rough idea of where that's located, say... Germany? as a part of ancient Rome. Part of the empire, but on the outskirts.

I think I have one other player who is interested, but hasn't posted yet, so I'll pull together the Big 16.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    This game will take place in a rough fantasy approximation of the ancient world... very loose interpretation of that as well. I'll be honest it's a rough idea, but I plan for this to be pretty Sandboxy after the initial dungeon. You tell me what you'd like, and I'll try to accommodate.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    Four players or five players with maybe a few alternates. I don't expect that much interest though with the strict time slot.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    We will be playing via text on a Discord server.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    You will be starting at level 1

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Standard wealth by level

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    I can't think of anything I wouldn't allow, off the top of my head, but I reserve the right to say no to anything if it seems OP or doesn't fir the narrative. That said, you're the PCs you're supposed to be weird and different.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    I'll say that the core of the "roman" empire is mostly human. Elves and fae creatures originate in the northern and western regions where you'd find celts and vikings. Put your character from where it'd make sense for them to come from.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    32 point buy, please, max health at first level of course.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    No restrictions on alignment. If you guys want to be evil warlords... well, that could be fun, right?

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multi classing will work as per the rules in D&D 3.5

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    I'll get a rollbot on Discord, so we'll make our rolls there.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    I'm working on a write up for the main deities of the Greek/Roman region, but haven't fleshed out much of the other places. If you think of something interesting, let me know!

Oh and I'd also like to include the building rules from Kingmaker/Pathfinder (able to be located on their SRD) I just like them, so if you guys want to make a caravan or build a business, I'm down for it.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Backgrounds are important, but shouldn't be overly lengthy. I subscribe to the 'skirt' theory of background writing. Long enough to cover everything, but short enough to keep things interesting.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    It will probably be a lot of roleplay, with some puzzles and dungeons and thing. I will go where you push me and what you want to request.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Try to stick to things I can find. If you're using something beyond the SRD, make sure that I have the book on PDF (I have access to quite a bit) or have access to that particular rule somewhere.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

6. - Top - End - #6

I'd like to express my interest. I'm working on a character concept; I'll post it ASAP.

If you haven't decided on a map to use, might I suggest Zheng He's (probably fabricated) map of the world? Here's a segment that corresponds to the part of the world you've described.
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2019-05-13 at 06:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

OldWizardGuy

You mentioned evil characters, in your comments on alignment. Might I recommend you qualify that with my usual statement on the matter? "The only restriction I place on theme, alignment, or backstory is that you all would reasonably work together." This does a great deal to hamper player conflict by making sure everyone is either on board with a controversial concept, or else makes concepts that will work well with the group.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly I thought that went without saying. Of course make characters that will work with the group, or else... what's the point of being in the group? Now this doesn't mean you all know each other to start or have to be all buddy buddy, but I do expect you to cooperate with each other for the most part.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

9. - Top - End - #9

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    Honestly I thought that went without saying. Of course make characters that will work with the group, or else... what's the point of being in the group? Now this doesn't mean you all know each other to start or have to be all buddy buddy, but I do expect you to cooperate with each other for the most part.
    One thing I've learned in my years is... nothing goes without saying

10. - Top - End - #10

My character is done. Any comments, critiques, or suggestions are appreciated.

Ghulam
    Male Neutral Evil Human Binder, Level 1, Init 6, HP 10/10, DR 0, Speed 30
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, Fort 4, Ref 2, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Morningstar +2 (1d8+2, x2)
    Light crossbow (10 bolts) +2 (1d8, 19-20 x2)
    Sickle +2 (1d6+2, x3)
    Studded leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition None

11. - Top - End - #11

GreataxeFighterGuy

Posting interest! Half-Orc Duskblade (phbII). Is that okay?

The Duskblade class
    Knowledge Devotion feat
    The Dragon Disciple end goal. Petition to request the 1/day breathweapon be replaced by that of the Dragon Shaman (how does one that emulate dragons have a better breathweapon than one that IS a dragon?
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2019-05-16 at 11:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

OldWizardGuy

I would suggest the breath weapon be that of an actual half-dragon, once you become one.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Folks,

Just popping in to say this is about the time I would be starting the game, I think. I've realized that we often eat dinner at 6ish and I sometimes, like today, don't get home until 5:30 when I have errands to run. So maybe that earlier start time is a no go? Definitely here for the evenings though.

Ghulam looks great Sophistemon. Background blurb looks good too.

3Drinks, Duskblade is fine. I really like that class actually. I might write something interesting to give it some unique fluff for my world. Knowledge devotion looks good as well. I think you're going to have to stay with the 1/day breath weapon, though. Works as a half-dragon.

Oops, forgot to say, I'd liek to have everyone's sheets in preferably before next Friday, if not the Friday after. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Artemis97; 2019-05-17 at 10:23 PM.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

14. - Top - End - #14

OldWizardGuy

I can maybe do the evenings, I'd have to check with the SO. Any idea of an average time frame?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I stay up pretty late, since I don't work until the afternoon and my husband works nights. so say 8pm PST to midnight?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

16. - Top - End - #16

OldWizardGuy

so that's 11pm-3am EST? That's not entirely unreasonable.

17. - Top - End - #17

GreataxeFighterGuy

I stay up pretty late, since I don't work until the afternoon and my husband works nights. so say 8pm PST to midnight?
    I can do this schedule on Sun & Mon, otherwise I work overnights.

How do you feel about Improved Spell Capacity pre-epic? It's not to utilize metamagic, honestly it's the only way Duskblade can attain 7th level casting (Archmage is the character concept's "capstone" as it were). I'd be taking it twice, once for sixth level access, once for seventh.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2019-05-18 at 04:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, 3drinks, I work weekends too. Friday's the day it's got to be.

As for the feat, if I understand it corectly you'd be getting it at level 13? when it's meant for at least level 20? no go. But if I'm looking at the progression of spells right, it seems you could/should get 5th level spells at level 17. Sound fair?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

19. - Top - End - #19

GreataxeFighterGuy

Sorry, 3drinks, I work weekends too. Friday's the day it's got to be.

As for the feat, if I understand it corectly you'd be getting it at level 13? when it's meant for at least level 20? no go. But if I'm looking at the progression of spells right, it seems you could/should get 5th level spells at level 17. Sound fair?
    It's actually a prereq of Archmage to have the ability to cast 7th level arcane spells. Doesn't really matter if you have any 7th level spells to cast though. Using Improved Spell Capacity in this way I was really throwing two feat taxes into the build just to meet the Archmage prereq.

I guess this doesn't matter since the time doesn't match up anyway.

20. - Top - End - #20

NinjaGuy

Here's a start to Ido, gnomish psion. I need to list his psycrystal and buy equipment, and write up his background, but most of the crunchy bits are done.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Your gnome looks pretty good so far, Nova_Eclipse. Keep up the good work!

So that's two sheets in the works, I was kind of hoping for more by now. You guys are still interested, right?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

22. - Top - End - #22

OldWizardGuy

I am, but I'm hesitating on committing because I haven't discussed it with my SO and they might be ticked off at me staying up so late. I'll see if I can swing it, I honestly just keep forgetting to ask.

No clue what I'd play yet. I'm thinking something unusual... I have a Tome of Battle character in action right now, so I'll avoid that. An Incarnum character would be fun, I build a warforged incarnate recently so I might look at porting him if that's cool or else I'll probably avoid Incarnum. Psionics would be cool, and there's a lot of support for that, so it's a definite option, I could do something like a Wilder (they've always interested me). Failing those, I may just browse the books until I come across something interesting.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, don't do anything too crazy. I'm a novice GM with barely a whole game under her belt. I know 3.5 can get a bit wild and overpowered. For my sake, try to keep it reasonable. Thanks!
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

24. - Top - End - #24

OldWizardGuy

I am an amateur optimizer. I don't seek optimization, I seen fun combinations that are mechanically effective, and frequently stumble across powerful things. As long as I have something I'm interested in and feel like I'm contributing, I'm happy, so feel free to tell me to tone it down. If you find that something I'm doing upsets your grasp of balance, I'm happy to work with you on a solution too, be it advice for handling it on the DM end, or retconning something of my character, or implementing a house rule.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks so much for understanding and being willing to work with me. As for your character ideas, I don't know what incarnum is, and I'm not sure where warforged would fit in this world, not saing don't do it, though, we'd just need to discuss fluff. Tome of Battle is ok, I'm a little familiar with it, probably would come from somewhere in the east. Nova Eclipse is making a Psion, so maybe not that? Unless you two want to be related somehow? Though I imagine psionics would be pretty rare, it would also come from the eastern end of the continent. So, think Asia. I have no idea what a Wilder is. Let me know if you come up with a more solid idea of what you want to do.

Also I've been informed that Recaiden is in the process of moving to a new place. They're still interested in playing, but might need some extra time to come up with a character. I've asked for at least a character concept by Friday.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

26. - Top - End - #26

OldWizardGuy

Incarnum is a completely new power source, from Magic of Incarnum. I rather like it, but it's pretty distinct and would need to be worked into the setting. If you're not familiar with it, it's easier to not.

A wilder is a psionic class, they have very few powers but focus on them and can spam them and power them up higher.

Edit: at any rate, I've got my answer about the timing, and it's not gonna work for me. Were I still living on my own I'd fit it in, but sadly I can't, at least not this time around.
    Last edited by The Kool; 2019-05-27 at 12:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry to hear that, The Kool, best of luck in another game that better fits your schedule.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Are you looking for any more players?

If I would be permitted to join, would you be willing to allow Psionic characters?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I am looking for at least one more player. Though we do already have someone playing a psion. and I think Recaiden is going for Incarnum, last I knew. I'd prefer a bit more variety in the party, but if you really want to do psionics, so long as you aren't stepping on Nova's toes, it should be alright. You two should probably be related in some way, from the same family of gnomes in the East, or training under the same master or something?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

What roles have already been filled?

Would I be able to play a Wizard, perhaps?