Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 70
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    I haven't been much confused. I went into the MCU fully expecting that artistic liberties would be taken, and so I was never disappointed when they were.

    I was aware of Hank Pym's creation of Ultron. I also knew about his abusive tendencies and mad scientist leanings that eventually led him to become the head of (former?) Hydra organization A.I.M. as the scientist supreme. In the MCU, he's just a brilliant jerkass. Though I'll admit I came by most of this knowledge secondhand after the Ant Man movie came out.

    I don't blame Marvel for making changes to the comics canon for the movies in the least. Even if you ignore the massive production rights issues surrounding the Hulk, Spider-Man, and X-Men, there is decades worth of comics lore to go through, and at least half of it is convoluted as hell. It was inevitable that changes would be made, origin stories rewritten, and character relations overhauled.

    Heck, Spider-Man in the comics isn't that much younger than Tony Stark, but Spider-Man's story has always been at its strongest when he's a teen just learning his powers and finding his hero groove, so that's where they went with him even though it made him much younger than his comic compatriots.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Hank Pym isn't abusive.

    Well, in th eUltimate Universe he was, but everyone not named PEter Parker was an asshat in the Ultimate Universe.

    He hit his wife once, by accident(to be fair, the artist lost a memo so it doesn't look accidental,) while in the middle of a severe mental breakdown at the end of a long string of really, reall bad days.

    He regretted it immediately, and has spent years trying to make up for it.

    But no, nobody wants to let him forget about the time he hit his wife. And yet people forgave Tony for the Civil War and Black Bolt for releasing a bio-weapon literally world wide.

    His title as the Scientist Supreme was also unrelated to AIM. He's the Scientist Supreme the same way that Doctor Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Like I said, I'm not nearly as up to speed on comicsverse characters as the MCU versions. Still, Hank Pym tends to sound like he's one bad week from going supervillain instead of superhero.

    Though I will agree that the Ultimate universe got unnecessarily dark very fast and stayed that way.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    So, what do you think? Any requests/suggestions for who I do next?
    Paladin, Oath of the Earthshaker for Quake from Agents of Shield?

    Black Panther Ranger?

    None of the Guardians really need anything, they are just fighter/rogues or artificer or a tree.

    Sky Ranger for Falcon, granting them some flight at 5th level?

    You might be able to do something awesome with the Oath of the Valkyrie, granting them a flying horse.

    I dont play 5e but i might even try to work up some rogue or paladin Archetypes for Cloak and Dagger, a surprisingly great show.
    Though actually I think they are warlocks
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Paladin, Oath of the Earthshaker for Quake from Agents of Shield?

    Black Panther Ranger?

    None of the Guardians really need anything, they are just fighter/rogues or artificer or a tree.

    Sky Ranger for Falcon, granting them some flight at 5th level?

    You might be able to do something awesome with the Oath of the Valkyrie, granting them a flying horse.

    I dont play 5e but i might even try to work up some rogue or paladin Archetypes for Cloak and Dagger, a surprisingly great show.
    Though actually I think they are warlocks
    I may at some point attempt a 'universal' archetype for Shield agents that could in theory be tacked onto any class.

    I'm currently attempting to make Black Panther into a martial-totem Druid of sorts. Though I may do Ranger instead depending on things.

    Falcon as a flying Ranger sounds awesome. I'll look into that.

    Oath of the Valkyrie sounds intriguing, but will likely be late in coming if ever.

    I would love to see your interpretation of Cloak and Dagger! I have yet to see that show personally as I haven't been able to find the time to sit and watch it (same with the later Netflix MCU seasons). Since you said they seem like Warlocks, you could make Warlock-style archetypes for the Rogue and Paladin. I can pull a Warlock 1/3rd caster table for the Rogue one if you like. Alternatively, you could make Rogue and Paladin-style archetypes for the Warlock.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    I may at some point attempt a 'universal' archetype for Shield agents that could in theory be tacked onto any class.
    I'd use the Spell-less Ranger as a model - That is, make a mini-"base class" that only lasts for 3-5 levels that gives SHIELD stuff, that a PC can MC into. Some people may start as just an agent (like Phil or Mac), and then switch out, while others will start as something else (Quake, Jemma), and then pick up a couple levels later on.

    Similar to ye olde prestige classes, but with no extraneous requirements. Not dissimilar from the Guild Backgrounds from GGtR, but less broken.
    • Melinda May would be a Open Hand Monk/S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent multiclass
    • Jemma would be a Knowledge Cleric/S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent MC
    • Yo-yo would be a Timebreaker/S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent MC
    • Mack would be probably be a Battlemaster Fighter/S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent MC
    and so on
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!
    Including new Base Classes, a better Ranger, and Subclasses based on:
    • Books
    • TV Shows
    • Marvel Cinematic Universe
    • League of Legends IP
    • Current series: Planeswalker-themed Subclasses based on Magic: The Gathering's War of the Sparks
    And MORE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Warlock works for Cloak and Dagger based on the comics(where they have discrete but slowly growing magical powers drawn from two separate but related magical dimensions--the Lightforce, a place of Light, Warmth, Life, Holiness, and creation and the Darkforce, a place of Darkness, Cold, Death, Demons, and entropic hunger) but based on the MCU a Cleric or Paladin would make more sense fluff-wise--in the show they're referred to as the "Divine Paring" and there's both Christian and Voudoun symbolism used repeatedly for the both of them so a more "religious" take works better on that fluff.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-05-23 at 03:53 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Warlock works for Cloak and Dagger based on the comics(where they have discrete but slowly growing magical powers drawn from two separate but related magical dimensions--the Lightforce, a place of Light, Warmth, Life, Holiness, and creation and the Darkforce, a place of Darkness, Cold, Death, Demons, and entropic hunger) but based on the MCU a Cleric or Paladin would make more sense fluff-wise--in the show they're referred to as the "Divine Paring" and there's both Christian and Voudoun symbolism used repeatedly for the both of them so a more "religious" take works better on that fluff.
    Yeah the reason I don't want to give them warlock is that warlock has diversity in its spell list that doesnt fit the show characters.
    I like paladin, but the way Tandy fights, moves and operates seems more like a rogue. The idea of a darkness Paladin and Rogue of Light is pretty awesome anyway. Ill try over the weekend.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    I have attempted a grand experiment: Making Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. into a universal archetype that can be used with any base class. I really hope I have this balanced because I haven't even seen something like this done before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Yeah the reason I don't want to give them warlock is that warlock has diversity in its spell list that doesnt fit the show characters.
    I like paladin, but the way Tandy fights, moves and operates seems more like a rogue. The idea of a darkness Paladin and Rogue of Light is pretty awesome anyway. Ill try over the weekend.
    Darkness Paladin and Rogue of Light sounds like an amazing combo. Can't wait to see how you handle them!
    Last edited by Crisis21; 2019-05-23 at 11:22 PM.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Harder than I thought.

    Please, let me know A) if its cool and B) if its balanced!

    Feel free to steal them and put them on the front page, mate

    Spoiler: Oath of the Darkcloak
    Show



    Oath of the Darkcloak

    Not all paladins glory the light, or heavens. Some walk a darker path, though they are not evil folk. Darkness is a force, like good, or steel, and it too can be turned against the wicked. Darkforce is a form of energy that lingers in every shadow and Paladins who take the Oath of Darkcloak can see in the dark, move between shadows and even drag their enemies, screaming, into that abyss.

    Terrify the Wicked: Fear is a fundamental emotion, and it has a purpose. Fear keeps evil men in line, and stops good men going bad. Bring fear to those who use it against others

    No Cause is Ever Lost: Never give up on bringing justice and fairness to the world. Injustice does not diminish with time, but grows.

    Even the Perfect Suffer: Even if you do everything right, the world may still punish you. Therefore, there is no reason not to stand up for the way the world should be. Fear no reprisals for good deeds

    Fear and Loathing:
    You have less fear than an ordinary person. Fear tempers revenge and anger. Without it, you must temper it. Seek justice, not revenge.

    Oath Spells

    3rd Fog Cloud, Dissonant Whispers
    5th Misty Step, Darkness
    9th Blink, Fear
    13th Dimension Door, Black Tentacles
    17th Teleport, Dream

    Channel Divinity
    When you take this oath at 3rd level you get 2 options
    Cloak of Darkness: You generate a cloud of darkness around you, as the Darkness spell. While cloaked in this way you can see in darkness, natural or magical. Creating this effect takes an action and lasts for 1 minute.
    Bring Forth Fear:With a touch attack, you bring forth a creatures fears into the forefront of its mind. This gives the victim disadvantage on attacks against you, and on saving throws against any effect you cause, as you see best how to manipulate its fears to weaken it. This effect lasts for 1 hour, but can only affect 1 creature at a time.

    Aura of Darkforce: At 7th level, you and all allies within 10 feet gain resistance to psychic damage while you are conscious. This aura increases to 30ft at 18th level.

    Drag Into Darkness: Starting at 15th level, as a full round action you can drag a creature into the darkness within you. They must make a Wisdom save against your paladin spell save, or the creature disappears and hurtles through a nightmare landscape. At the end of your next turn, the target returns to nearest unoccupied space to you. It takes 10d10 psychic damage as it reels from its horrific experience. Once you use this feature, you canít use it again until you finish a long rest.

    Darkform: You become darkforce incarnate, gaining the following benefits for one minute

    • You dispel all light sources and effects in 60ft radius
    • You can teleport up to 60ft to an unoccupied space as a bonus action
    • You gain an aura of menace in a 30ft radius. The first time any enemy creature enters the aura or starts its turn there during a battle, the creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become frightened of you for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. Attack rolls against the frightened creature have advantage.





    Spoiler: Rogue of Light
    Show


    Rogue of Light

    Not all rogues prefer shadows.

    Dagger of Light:Starting at 3rd level, you gain the ability to manifest a blade of LightForce. As a bonus action, you create pure white knives of light that project from both of your fists. You canít hold anything in your hands while manifesting these blades. You can dismiss them as a bonus action. For you, these knives are martial melee weapons with the light and finesse properties. It deals 1d6 radiant damage on a hit. As a bonus action, you can prepare to use the blades to parry; you gain a +2 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn or until you are incapacitated. They shed light as a light spell, in a 30ft radius. At 9th level this light is as powerful as a Daylight spell.
    If manifesting them in combat, while otherwise unarmed, you gain advantage on attacks til the end of that turn, due to the suddenness of their appearance.
    At 6th level you can throw your dagger of light. It gains a range increment of 10 ft.

    See Hopes: All beings of lightforce have the ability to see others light, their hope. At 9th level, any time you could deal sneak attack damage, instead of doing so you may see their hopes. It is similar to a Detect Thoughts spell, but you do not gain surface thoughts, instead learning about the hope that is most present in the creatures mind at the moment. Once the link has been established, for 1 minute you can continue to delve into their mind and learn more, about the origin of said hope, their planned method for accomplishing it or other hopes they may have. With a Persuasion check it is possible to steer the persons mind towards a different hope than is first encountered. Knowledge of their hopes grants advantage on the next Persuasion or Intimidation check against that creature. This ability can be used 1+ your Charisma modifier, and recharges after a short rest.


    Steal Hopes:All beings of lightforce have the ability to see and generate hope in others. As a Rogue of Lightforce, you have gained the crueler ability to steal those hopes. At 13th level, any time you could deal sneak attack damage, instead of doing so you may steal hopes.
    The victim makes a Charisma saving throw, or you snatch away their hope. You can do so steathily or violently. Doing so stealthily allows you to prevent the creature from taking a course of action, such as causing a vizier to abandon his plan to poison the king, or a fiend to not ambush the paladin who banished him. Their overall goal will not change, the vizier still seeks power and the fiend still seeks revenge, but they give up their current course as hopeless. If you do so violently this changes the sneak attack damage to psychic and grants the creature disadvantage on all saving throws for 1 hour, but their course of action remains unchanged. This ability can be used once, and is recharged after a long rest.

    Hide in the Light: At 17th level your connection to Lightforce booms. Unlike other rogues, who lurk in the dark, you can hide in the light. While in sunlight, or in the radius of a Daylight spell or greater light magic, you can use Stealth checks as if noone can see you. It is still difficult to catch creatures in combat by surprise, and this does not guarantee advantage on attacks, but creatures will not be able to see you unless their Perception checks against your Stealth are successful. Creatures with sunlight sensitivity or similar traits treat you as if you are invisible.
    Last edited by Lvl45DM!; 2019-05-27 at 07:47 PM.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Harder than I thought.

    Please, let me know A) if its cool and B) if its balanced!

    Feel free to steal them and put them on the front page, mate

    Spoiler: Oath of the Darkcloak
    Show



    Oath of the Darkcloak

    Not all paladins glory the light, or heavens. Some walk a darker path, though they are not evil folk. Darkness is a force, like good, or steel, and it too can be turned against the wicked. Darkforce is a form of energy that lingers in every shadow and Paladins who take the Oath of Darkcloak can see in the dark, move between shadows and even drag their enemies, screaming, into that abyss.

    Terrify the Wicked: Fear is a fundamental emotion, and it has a purpose. Fear keeps evil men in line, and stops good men going bad. Bring fear to those who use it against others

    No Cause is Ever Lost: Never give up on bringing justice and fairness to the world. Injustice does not diminish with time, but grows.

    Even the Perfect Suffer: Even if you do everything right, the world may still punish you. Therefore, there is no reason not to stand up for the way the world should be. Fear no reprisals for good deeds

    Fear and Loathing:
    You have less fear than an ordinary person. Fear tempers revenge and anger. Without it, you must temper it. Seek justice, not revenge.

    Oath Spells

    3rd Fog Cloud, Dissonant Whispers
    5th Misty Step, Darkness
    9th Blink, Fear
    13th Dimension Door, Black Tentacles
    17th Teleport, Dream

    Channel Divinity
    When you take this oath at 3rd level you get 2 options
    Cloak of Darkness: You generate a cloud of darkness around you, as the Darkness spell. While cloaked in this way you can see in darkness, natural or magical. Creating this effect takes an action and lasts for 1 minute.
    Bring Forth Fear:With a touch attack, you bring forth a creatures fears into the forefront of its mind. This gives the victim disadvantage on attacks against you, and on saving throws against any effect you cause, as you see best how to manipulate its fears to weaken it. This effect lasts for 1 hour, but can only affect 1 creature at a time.

    Aura of Darkforce: At 7th level, you and all allies within 10 feet gain resistance to psychic damage while you are conscious. This aura increases to 30ft at 18th level.

    Drag Into Darkness: Starting at 15th level, when you hit a creature with an attack, you can use this feature to instantly drag him into the darkness within you. The creature disappears and hurtles through a nightmare landscape. At the end of your next turn, the target returns to nearest unoccupied space to you. It takes 10d10 psychic damage as it reels from its horrific experience. Once you use this feature, you canít use it again until you finish a long rest.

    Darkform: You become darkforce incarnate, gaining the following benefits for one minute

    • You dispel all light sources and effects in 60ft radius
    • You can teleport up to 60ft to an unoccupied space as a bonus action
    • You gain an aura of menace in a 30ft radius. The first time any enemy creature enters the aura or starts its turn there during a battle, the creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become frightened of you for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. Attack rolls against the frightened creature have advantage.





    Spoiler: Rogue of Light
    Show


    Rogue of Light

    Not all rogues prefer shadows.

    Dagger of Light:Starting at 3rd level, you gain the ability to manifest a blade of LightForce. As a bonus action, you create pure white knives of light that project from both of your fists. You canít hold anything in your hands while manifesting these blades. You can dismiss them as a bonus action. For you, these knives are martial melee weapons with the light and finesse properties. It deals 1d6 radiant damage on a hit. As a bonus action, you can prepare to use the blades to parry; you gain a +2 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn or until you are incapacitated. They shed light as a light spell, in a 30ft radius. At 9th level this light is as powerful as a Daylight spell.
    If manifesting them in combat, while otherwise unarmed, you gain advantage on attacks til the end of that turn, due to the suddenness of their appearance.
    At 6th level you can throw your dagger of light. It gains a range increment of 10 ft.

    See Hopes: All beings of lightforce have the ability to see others light, their hope. At 9th level, any time you could deal sneak attack damage, instead of doing so you may see their hopes. It is similar to a Detect Thoughts spell, but you do not gain surface thoughts, instead learning about the hope that is most present in the creatures mind at the moment. Once the link has been established, for 1 minute you can continue to delve into their mind and learn more, about the origin of said hope, their planned method for accomplishing it or other hopes they may have. With a Persuasion check it is possible to steer the persons mind towards a different hope than is first encountered. Knowledge of their hopes grants advantage on the next Persuasion or Intimidation check against that creature. This ability can be used 1+ your Charisma modifier, and recharges after a short rest.


    Steal Hopes:All beings of lightforce have the ability to see and generate hope in others. As a Rogue of Lightforce, you have gained the crueler ability to steal those hopes. At 13th level, any time you could deal sneak attack damage, instead of doing so you may steal hopes.
    The victim makes a Charisma saving throw, or you snatch away their hope. You can do so steathily or violently. Doing so stealthily allows you to prevent the creature from taking a course of action, such as causing a vizier to abandon his plan to poison the king, or a fiend to not ambush the paladin who banished him. Their overall goal will not change, the vizier still seeks power and the fiend still seeks revenge, but they give up their current course as hopeless. If you do so violently this changes the sneak attack damage to psychic and grants the creature disadvantage on all saving throws for 1 hour, but their course of action remains unchanged. This ability can be used once, and is recharged after a long rest.

    Hide in the Light: At 17th level your connection to Lightforce booms. Unlike other rogues, who lurk in the dark, you can hide in the light. While in sunlight, or in the radius of a Daylight spell or greater light magic, you can use Stealth checks as if noone can see you. It is still difficult to catch creatures in combat by surprise, and this does not guarantee advantage on attacks, but creatures will not be able to see you unless their Perception checks against your Stealth are successful. Creatures with sunlight sensitivity or similar traits treat you as if you are invisible.
    I'm not the greatest for balance, but they're definitely cool!

    Some notes/suggestions:

    Grant Oath of the Darkcloak a ribbon feature that alters the damage type of their Smite ability from Radiant to either Psychic or Necrotic (pick one, I'd go with Necrotic personally). Possibly also change the bonus 1d8 damage target creature types from fiends and undead to, say, fey and celestials.

    On 'Drag into Darkness', allow a Wisdom saving throw against the paladin's spell save DC to halve damage. Also reduce the damage significantly to 'max smite' damage which is 5d8. If you want, you can allow them to expend a spell slot to add normal smite damage on top of the Drag into Darkness damage.

    Define the save DC of Steal Hopes (likely 8 + proficiency bonus + Charisma? modifier).

    Possibly allow a Charisma or Wisdom save against See Hopes if a creature tries to resist the effect while it is active. No more than 1/round.

    Specify 20th level for Darkform.

    Specify a minimum of 1 use for See Hopes.

    For Dagger of Light, grant the Daylight boost at 13th level (when Arcane Trickster would get access to 3rd level spells, which Daylight is). Also increase the thrown range to that of an actual dagger which is 20/60 feet (second number is long range disadvantage attack).
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    May 2019

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    So would you say they're... Advengerers?

    Jokes aside, these are all pretty neat thematically, though I can't really do a detailed balance check. However, Doctor Strange always seemed a lot more wizard-y to me what with the (at least nominally) high Intelligence, and accomplishing magic through understanding of the universe.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

    And here's a rat for the road ~(,,_`;;'>

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    I'm not the greatest for balance, but they're definitely cool!

    Some notes/suggestions:

    Grant Oath of the Darkcloak a ribbon feature that alters the damage type of their Smite ability from Radiant to either Psychic or Necrotic (pick one, I'd go with Necrotic personally). Possibly also change the bonus 1d8 damage target creature types from fiends and undead to, say, fey and celestials.

    On 'Drag into Darkness', allow a Wisdom saving throw against the paladin's spell save DC to halve damage. Also reduce the damage significantly to 'max smite' damage which is 5d8. If you want, you can allow them to expend a spell slot to add normal smite damage on top of the Drag into Darkness damage.

    Define the save DC of Steal Hopes (likely 8 + proficiency bonus + Charisma? modifier).

    Possibly allow a Charisma or Wisdom save against See Hopes if a creature tries to resist the effect while it is active. No more than 1/round.

    Specify 20th level for Darkform.

    Specify a minimum of 1 use for See Hopes.

    For Dagger of Light, grant the Daylight boost at 13th level (when Arcane Trickster would get access to 3rd level spells, which Daylight is). Also increase the thrown range to that of an actual dagger which is 20/60 feet (second number is long range disadvantage attack).
    Thanks!

    So I have no idea what a ribbon ability is, and google tells me that it fills in dead levels, but Paladins dont really have any SO i'm just adding it to the basic sacred oath at 3rd.

    I just ripped Drag into Darkness from Hurl Through Hell. I like the idea of it doing big damage, is there a way I can make it like...a full round action? No additional attacks that round.

    I think that See Hopes needing to have advantage on the roll is enough of a hindrance rather than a save.

    The rest is all really helpful thanks
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    So would you say they're... Advengerers?

    Jokes aside, these are all pretty neat thematically, though I can't really do a detailed balance check. However, Doctor Strange always seemed a lot more wizard-y to me what with the (at least nominally) high Intelligence, and accomplishing magic through understanding of the universe.
    Yes. Advengerers.

    I agree, which is why I made the Sorcerer archetype for him Wizard-based. You can have that Wizard feel and still call yourself 'Sorcerer Supreme' without confusing the issue.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Druid: Circle of the Five Tribes is added.

    I did delve a bit into the comics lore of Wakanda to find relevant animal totems to finish out the five.

    Edit: The Vibranium feature explicitly replaces the Druid's normal Wildshape feature. The value of Vibranium isn't discussed, it's just assumed that as a member of the circle you have access to it and that you probably aren't sharing.
    Last edited by Crisis21; 2019-05-26 at 05:36 PM.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Druid: Circle of the Five Tribes is added.

    I did delve a bit into the comics lore of Wakanda to find relevant animal totems to finish out the five.

    Edit: The Vibranium feature explicitly replaces the Druid's normal Wildshape feature. The value of Vibranium isn't discussed, it's just assumed that as a member of the circle you have access to it and that you probably aren't sharing.
    Excellent work on the Wakandans.

    Just reading through the Agent of Shield class.

    Turn Foe seems really strong comapred to comparable abilities, in that it affects any possible creature. Maybe restrict it to humanoids, to fit the theme, or reduce it to just one target.

    Otherwise its a baller universal archetype i love it.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Excellent work on the Wakandans.

    Just reading through the Agent of Shield class.

    Turn Foe seems really strong comapred to comparable abilities, in that it affects any possible creature. Maybe restrict it to humanoids, to fit the theme, or reduce it to just one target.

    Otherwise its a baller universal archetype i love it.
    Good point. I'll fix it real quick.

    I think I also need to allow Artificers both Tools from the list of bonus proficiencies now that I think about it. I'll fix that too.

    Edit: Fixed. Agent Artificers now also get proficiency in Forgery Kit and have it stand up to magical scrutiny (but not a superior Investigation check).
    Last edited by Crisis21; 2019-05-27 at 10:22 AM.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Thanks!

    So I have no idea what a ribbon ability is, and google tells me that it fills in dead levels, but Paladins dont really have any SO i'm just adding it to the basic sacred oath at 3rd.

    I just ripped Drag into Darkness from Hurl Through Hell. I like the idea of it doing big damage, is there a way I can make it like...a full round action? No additional attacks that round.

    I think that See Hopes needing to have advantage on the roll is enough of a hindrance rather than a save.

    The rest is all really helpful thanks
    Ribbon abilities are essentially powers that are of minor use in most areas of the game. In fact, the Paladin's immunity to disease is considered a ribbon ability simply because disease comes up so infrequently.

    In this case, swapping the damage types and favored creatures for Divine Smite results in a 1:1 exchange and is thus effectively a ribbon feature. It doesn't make your darkness Paladin stronger than other paladins, just noticeably different.

    I forgot about Hurl Through Hell and as such withdraw my objections on the feature's damage. Making it a full round action would be good though considering that Paladins often have a bit more resources to work with than Warlocks.

    Good point on See Hopes. I withdraw the suggestion.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Ribbon abilities are essentially powers that are of minor use in most areas of the game. In fact, the Paladin's immunity to disease is considered a ribbon ability simply because disease comes up so infrequently.

    In this case, swapping the damage types and favored creatures for Divine Smite results in a 1:1 exchange and is thus effectively a ribbon feature. It doesn't make your darkness Paladin stronger than other paladins, just noticeably different.

    I forgot about Hurl Through Hell and as such withdraw my objections on the feature's damage. Making it a full round action would be good though considering that Paladins often have a bit more resources to work with than Warlocks.

    Good point on See Hopes. I withdraw the suggestion.
    AHhhhhhhhhh that makes so much sense about the ribbons. Ok so basically I got it right. Thanks. I will change Drag into Darkness to a full round action.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Cool cool.

    I have added notation to the Agent of SHIELD archetype to support the Mystic class.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Uh, Not Sure Really...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    With the 5 tribe thing it says that they no longer have issues with metal weapons, Druids don't normally have issues with metal weapons just metal armor
    My limited homebrew experience
    oh hey didn't see you there

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    I like intent behind way of the spider but it isnít as front loaded as everyone says your dangersense is a weakened alert feat (which was all spidersense ever was) that takes monk feats to upgrade and even go beyond what he had in the comics. Also 2Kipoints to use spider climb and web is a massive drain on limited resources at early and late levels especially when spiderclimb becomes almost null at level 9. You could focus more on the web rope utility as Spider-man could use them as whips and meteor hammers and travel. (Donít know if anybody remembers the ps2 games)

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogrillian View Post
    I like intent behind way of the spider but it isnít as front loaded as everyone says your dangersense is a weakened alert feat (which was all spidersense ever was) that takes monk feats to upgrade and even go beyond what he had in the comics. Also 2Kipoints to use spider climb and web is a massive drain on limited resources at early and late levels especially when spiderclimb becomes almost null at level 9. You could focus more on the web rope utility as Spider-man could use them as whips and meteor hammers and travel. (Donít know if anybody remembers the ps2 games)
    Honestly I feel like making mechanics for every possible use of the web is over-writing. The Way of the Spider Monk can shoot webs. What they do with that web should be up to their own creativity.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogrillian View Post
    I like intent behind way of the spider but it isnít as front loaded as everyone says your dangersense is a weakened alert feat (which was all spidersense ever was) that takes monk feats to upgrade and even go beyond what he had in the comics. Also 2Kipoints to use spider climb and web is a massive drain on limited resources at early and late levels especially when spiderclimb becomes almost null at level 9. You could focus more on the web rope utility as Spider-man could use them as whips and meteor hammers and travel. (Donít know if anybody remembers the ps2 games)
    Actually, the Danger Sense feature shouldn't have any overlap with the Alert Feat at all. In fact, I'd advise taking the Alert Feat for a full Spider-Man build.

    As for Spider Climb being a drain on resources, it lasts an hour per casting. Web fills a 20-foot cube if I recall correctly. Also, spending ki points equal to the level of a spell is fairly standard for most Monk archetypes that replicate spells. While I personally see no reason why they couldn't be used as improvised weapons, there is the issue of a long reach which could prove very unbalancing.

    As for using the web ropes for travel, that is in fact one of the intended uses and the reason I gave them a 50 foot range and allowed auto-attaching to whatever it hits.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Honestly I feel like making mechanics for every possible use of the web is over-writing. The Way of the Spider Monk can shoot webs. What they do with that web should be up to their own creativity.
    Exactly. About the only thing I'd add to the web stuff is a feature under Advanced Spider Arts that allows for the fabrication of simple items from webs for a Ki point, like a parachute or a club.
    Last edited by Crisis21; 2019-05-28 at 07:48 PM.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Air Rescue Ranger (dear god, I just realized that joke) is up.

    Edit: I also added two new trick arrows to the Urban Ranger specifically for modern settings: The Taser Arrow and the Hacking Arrow.
    Last edited by Crisis21; 2019-05-29 at 12:18 AM.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Was talking with a friend today about this project, and we agreed that Vision would fit the UA Mystic class fairly well. As such, the Mystic Order: Technopath was forged. This archetype is intended for modern settings only. The Technomancy feature essentially takes up two feature slots because it grants so many spell options (though the selection and potential use for modern spells is inherently limited, which is why the archetype still gets a level 14 feature).

    This has also caused the second overflow in both of the first posts this time. As such, I am tabling the project to move it all to a pdf in homebrewery.naturalcrit so that I won't have to rearrange posts in this thread anymore. I have permission from the creator of Quantum Trickster to add in their archetype (with creator credit) and I am assuming that Lvl45DM!'s permission to use their archetypes for Cloak and Dagger on the front page will extend to this (again, with creator credit).

    Once complete, I will remove all archetypes from the front page and replace them with a link to the new pdf. All further updates will be added to the pdf before being announced in the thread.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Added an new maneuver to the Super Soldier called Inspiring Leader. Basically you spend a Superiority die to give a creature a Bardic Inspiration die of the same size. They get this maneuver automatically, but it counts as one of their maneuvers known.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Was talking with a friend today about this project, and we agreed that Vision would fit the UA Mystic class fairly well. As such, the Mystic Order: Technopath was forged. This archetype is intended for modern settings only. The Technomancy feature essentially takes up two feature slots because it grants so many spell options (though the selection and potential use for modern spells is inherently limited, which is why the archetype still gets a level 14 feature).

    This has also caused the second overflow in both of the first posts this time. As such, I am tabling the project to move it all to a pdf in homebrewery.naturalcrit so that I won't have to rearrange posts in this thread anymore. I have permission from the creator of Quantum Trickster to add in their archetype (with creator credit) and I am assuming that Lvl45DM!'s permission to use their archetypes for Cloak and Dagger on the front page will extend to this (again, with creator credit).

    Once complete, I will remove all archetypes from the front page and replace them with a link to the new pdf. All further updates will be added to the pdf before being announced in the thread.
    Yup wise assumption
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    Still working on the PDF, but I feel I should announce that I have officially abandoned doing a Fighter archetype for the Punisher. The reason is that everything I was intending to do had pretty much already been done by the Unearthed Arcana archetype: Sharpshooter. About the only thing I'd have really added to make a Punisher-themed archetype is proficiency in firearms. Since I don't feel like reinventing the wheel, I have thus abandoned doing an original archetype for the Punisher.

    On a related note: I am adding in sidebars to the PDF to cover characters that I was unable to make original archetypes for due to varying factors such as existing official archetypes that could do the job just fine (Punisher) or a few too many similarities to archetypes made for the PDF (War Machine). I will probably end up covering the Guardians of the Galaxy in this way, though Rocket and Groot are probably going to need original races of some sort. Maybe Gamora and Drax too, but I feel I could finagle them with existing races.

    Is Groot a Druid? I bet he's a Druid.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crisis21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Archetypes Assemble! (5e Avengers)

    The PDF is, as of this moment, completed. Barring further submissions of course. It has all the archetypes from the OP, plus I got permission from Vogie to copy the Quantum Trickster, and of course Lvl45DM! gave me permission to copy Cloak and Dagger (though I did make some minor edits to them).

    I have also added two new archetypes: The College of Medicine for the Bard in honor of Clair Temple the Night Nurse who patched up the Netflix Defenders season after season and Way of Xtreme Speed for the Monk to replicate Quicksilver. Because no other base class quite measures up to the Monk when it comes to gratuitous speed boosts. Though, I did add a little multiclass guide also to get the best possible top speed (before magic items of course).

    I have furthermore added sidebars for War Machine, the Winter Soldier, the Punisher, and also collectively for the X-Men and Inhumans in general to guide players into making them. I have done this because they could be created using existing archetypes from published material (including Unearthed Arcana) or by making use of the other archetypes I already made.

    Also, I have decided not to do archetypes for the Guardians of the Galaxy. As fun as they all are, I am just not inspired to make a full archetype for any of them. If anyone else wants to make original archetypes for the Guardians, then by all means please do.

    In all actuality though, I'm finding that I'm coming up on the end of my inspiration for this project, which is probably for the best as it currently takes up 42 pages.

    I've got an idea to do Elektra as a Rogue, Loki as a Roguish Wizard, and I want to watch how they pulled off Ghost Rider in Agents of SHIELD to see what I can get for a Spirit of Vengeance Warlock patron (Pact of the Wheel anyone?). If the mood strikes me, I might do a sidebar for Colleen Wing or Misty Knight from the Netflix series as well. And that will probably be it until the MCU introduces more heroes. Like Shang Chi.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •