Thread: Far Cry

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Far Cry

Far Cry 5 caught my attention when it came out, but I've never played any of the other games and am not sure I would actually like them. Now with the games on sale through Humble, I'm thinking of picking up one of the earlier games to try out the series. I'm not a fan of MP, so am only interested in the SP campaign. I prefer stealth to run-and-gun.

Any recommendations on which one I should start with?
    Last edited by Kesnit; 2019-05-11 at 06:42 AM.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Far Cry

If you liked FC5, FC3 and FC4 are essentially the same game with a different storyline and characters, so you'll probably like them as well. The original Far Cry is a first person shooter with no real RPG mechanics to speak of, and it can get *very* hard--it's one of the few FPS I've played which really suits my cautious playstyle. FC2 is a bit of an odd duck which I never liked, although ISTR it's warty goblin's favourite.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If you liked FC5,
    I wasn't very clear in my post. I've not played any of the FC games. FC5 looked interesting, which is what got me thinking about the series as a whole.

FC3 and FC4 are essentially the same game with a different storyline and characters, so you'll probably like them as well.
    Thanks.

The original Far Cry is a first person shooter with no real RPG mechanics to speak of, and it can get *very* hard
    Good to know. Since the RPG elements are what I liked, and I'm not a fan of high difficulty, I'll give FC1 a pass.

FC2 is a bit of an odd duck which I never liked, although ISTR it's warty goblin's favourite.
    What do you mean it's an "odd duck?"
    Last edited by Kesnit; 2019-05-11 at 09:28 AM.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    Far Cry 5 caught my attention when it came out, but I've never played any of the other games and am not sure I would actually like them. Now with the games on sale through Humble, I'm thinking of picking up one of the earlier games to try out the series. I'm not a fan of MP, so am only interested in the SP campaign. I prefer stealth to run-and-gun.

Any recommendations on which one I should start with?
    Far Cry 3 to 5 are very similar in term of gameplay beats. I think Far Cry 4 has the most thematically coherent storyline. Although be aware that Far Cry 2 to 5 have large themes of "the world sucks, war sucks". So never be surprised when the NPC are trying to make you feel like ****.

Gameplay wise, I heard there's interesting new things to the 5th game but I can't comment. 4th is just a polished version of the gameplay of the 3rd, but they added verticality in level design.

I had a lot of fun with FC4.

If you wanna try a whole different flavor of a game, while having the same gameplay beats, look out Far Cry Primal. It's very immersive, especially when playing on Survival Mode.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Far Cry 1 is very old and I haven't played a lot of it. I'd say at this point it's totally skippable; everything good about it is better in Crysis or later Far Crys.

(Stealth recommend: the first half of Crysis 1 is the best semi-open FPS ever made)

Far Cry 2 is a very long, extremely brutal and downright nihilistic game about being a horrible person who does terrible things for no good reason. Refreshingly, it's entirely up front about this; in fact it's the entire point of the game. It's also a very early open world FPS, so a lot of the stuff we kind of take for granted now isn't there yet. The map is very large, but also quite empty; there simply isn't a huge amount to do per square meter. It's basically a mildly to very hostile expanse of really gorgeous but mechanically unrewarding terrain you have to cross to get to the next place where you murder like 20 people because some rando warlord told you to. And it's pretty hard on higher difficulties, because there's no RPG mechanics you don't get tougher as the game goes. You get some incidental upgrades to stealth, and better guns. That's it. The enemies also get better guns, which means by the second map you have to play like a paranoid bastard all the time. On the upside, this means that it actually has a proper difficulty curve, and you aren't face-stomping people via your giant pile of numbers by the end of the game, nor does it have to escalate beyond all recognition to keep you from the aforementioned face-stomping. You just have to be better at the game.

I've never got on with Far Cry 3. It looks good and the shooting is on point, but I really hated the upgrade system. Basic functionality like being able to cook grenades is an upgrade; ostensibly because you are playing as an average joe. This annoys me, insofar as I don't play big flashy open world action games to feel like an average joe; I play them to do extremely ludicrous nonsense. Also you have to skin everything that moves so you can get enough animal hides to craft an artisanal ammo pouch for your precious bullets.

Far Cry 4 is the same as Far Cry 3, except that inexplicably I like it. The setting is unique, it still looks totally amazing, and they've improved the open world a bit more. Part of this is that the hook is a lot more sensible for Far Cry shenanigans; there's a rebellion against a Bad Dude to whom you have some personal connection that I forget about because it doesn't matter, and you need to lead the resistance in classic videogame style: by going and doing literally everything on your own thanks to your magic ability to not die when shot repeatedly in the face. I think the skinning nonsense is still there, but it bugs me substantially less for some reason. Really, 'bugs me substantially less' sums up Far Cry 4, for reasons I don't really understand. Also, you can kill bad guys with an elephant, which is the best feature of any videogame ever made. I'd recommend.

I can't really speak to the stealth in Far Cry 3 or 4 all the much. I don't really do stealth, since it's basically a way to spend 20 minutes crouch-walking to accomplish what going loud with a rocket launcher and machine gun does in 7. It is there, and it does work; some side missions even require it.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Part of this is that the hook is a lot more sensible for Far Cry shenanigans; there's a rebellion against a Bad Dude to whom you have some personal connection that I forget about because it doesn't matter, and you need to lead the resistance in classic videogame style: by going and doing literally everything on your own thanks to your magic ability to not die when shot repeatedly in the face.
    See, that's what annoyed me most about FC4 compared to FC3. In FC3, your character has a damned good reason for doing what they're doing: they're trying to rescue their friends. (Which is why the "bad" ending always struck me as ridiculous, but I won't go into spoiler territory to explain why). In FC4, you're trying to scatter your mother's ashes, and the most logical thing to do is complete that task and then exit the country as fast as you can go--in fact, the Easter Egg "hidden" ending is pretty much that, and the entire game lasts 15 minutes if you go that route. There's just no good reason for you to be meekly going around doing what the rebels are asking you to do, because you *don't* really have a personal connection to this country other than your parents having been born there.

FC5 goes back to having a logical "rescue companions" storyline, but for some reason I just couldn't get on with the game and never finished it. Maybe it's because it was just too similar to the previous two mainline games and I'd got sick of the playstyle.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I recently, within last 6-12 months got introduced to and quite hooked on this series of games. In retrospect same people do Assassin Creed and Far Cry is pretty much the same with a bit less "mystical" in it. Unsurprisingly I think I enjoyed FC Primal the most (which seems closest to the AC series mechanically). It really grabs you and all the crafting/gathering things make super much sense. In fact, it could do with more of it in Primal, it just feels so well integrated. In FC5 that gather part is much less toned down, and essentially almost ignorable. Perks can be gained for killing and skinning, but all of that is just a way to get cash (the resources you get I mean). At least FC5 is much freer in how you can "skill up". FC4 and on did the perks thing better than FC3. Basically from FC3 and on the game gets progressively more permissive on how you "level up".
    It's not always a positive, IMO it starts to get difficult to do the special manouvers (sp?)

What I am not liking about FC5 is that it is railroading me something fierce. Despite ostensiably being open world do enough and the story grabs you by the balls hard and progresses. Very inopportunate if it's 1am and you just wanna kill 1 thing more and then end up locked in a long "no saves allowed now because we think console limits are fun".

I started with FC3 and went in order, to FC4, Primal (need to complete though, friend stared on FC5 so I had to too to avoid being spoilered), now FC5 and got New Dawn (the FC5's Primal I guess) lined up. I hear New Dawn is awesome form my friend. He liked them all except for Primal.

IMO all FC games from FC3 and on premieres stealth.

Just random stuff. The people writing item descriptions for the stuff in FC4 must have killed themselves laughing (Himalaid Vol 2 still cracks me up, not given up on finding more of those). There's some of that in FC3 (IIRC) and also FC5, just not as pronounced. In FC4 I turned to looting stuff just to make sure I got to read all the funny explanations (often needlessly filling up my pack and taking an inconvenience hit just to save some items).

If you are a completitionist like I am, some of the side missions will drive you bonkers. Like in FC5 trying to wingsuit a course on time. Oh, and the storyline quest in FC4 where you have to do it is bleeeping brutal.

In a sense I'd call FC3 the "easiest", at least when it comes down to being able to do weird stuff stuff. I don't have a reaction time capable of doing some takedowns in FC5 I find. Very frustrating.

Oh! Just remembered, the "curving" bullets in FC5 drives absolutely bonkers. I've shot stuff on the other side of hills with intercontinental ballstic sniper shots apparently.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-05-13 at 06:24 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

The only one I can recommend is Far Cry 3. The gameplay is basically the exact same in 3-5 but 3 is the only one with a plot that even remotely makes sense or is satisfying.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

FC 3 had surprisingly decent stealth mechanics. Because they let you do things a little bit quicker, and the AI isn't as perfect, you could be a bit faster in taking people down with a knife. It also had the most likable Main Character, and did a great job of making his story more personal. The bad-guy plot was easily ignored, but the hero's journey saves the plot.

FC 4 had a lot of fun moments, and was a beautiful game. It also probably had the most humor, and was one where the Far Cry series didn't take itself too seriously. It's hard not to laugh in this game, and the action is top-notch.

FC 5 added a lot of stuff that switched up the game, like adding allies, requesting bomb drops, etc. They also did a great job to make the world feel full and real. It also had the best bad guys, and was the best open world experience.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-13 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    See, that's what annoyed me most about FC4 compared to FC3. In FC3, your character has a damned good reason for doing what they're doing: they're trying to rescue their friends. (Which is why the "bad" ending always struck me as ridiculous, but I won't go into spoiler territory to explain why).
    I recommend Noah Caldwell-Gervais video in the Far Cry series. His analysis of Far Cry 3's plot explains the why behind the thing that bothers you the most.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I see that nobody has given the correct answer, which is always Far Cry 3: BLOOD DRAGON.

It's basically a 1/3rd scale version of Far Cry 3, but instead of earning tattoos and getting high in the jungle, you get to be an 80s action hero roaming a futuristic neon dystopian wasteland killing radioactive T-Rexes and saving the world from a cyborg dictator.

Plus, it's a shorter game, so it might be better for people new to the series to acclimate themselves.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

"What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Blood Dragon was fun, but it's incredibly stylised, which might put him off when the rest of the games in the series (well, with the possible exception of Primal, which I haven't played) are pseudo-realistic. It also suffers from the Saints Row 4 "Why is everything so dark?" problem.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I liked the FC2 the most. Despite her shortcomings and illogical moments, she’s just the most devoted to tactics and stealth. This game gives the impression that you and your hero are pocked into a difficult situation in which you have to survive in the way that you feel comfortable. This causes a feeling of hopelessness and even some claustrophobia. But this is wonderful for me. The price of victory from this becomes higher. Other games in this series are more action oriented.