1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default [MTG4] Finding Players: World Creation with Magic Cards

Hi everyone!

We have played several world creation games already here in the forums where we were using magic cards. And now I am looking for players who are interested in joining another game where we build a fantasy world that could be used as an RPG setting by using MTG cards as inspiration.

The rules in this round are:

0. This is supposed to be just a fun way to create a world together with Magic the Gathering Cards with the goal to create a setting for a role playing game.

1. Players can place elements in the world that are represented by Magic Cards. This means the game doesn't have to go through an evolutionary process to get to intelligent life. Things can be spontaneously created.

2. The world map is a 5x5 grid and the 25 potential region are identified by a letter from A to E and anumber from 1 to 5, so the regions go from A1 to E5. During play we will populate a number of regions with magic cards that represent the terrain in that region (preferably a land card, but other cards could work as a representation of terrain as well). Any region not occupied by a card will stay water. Adjacent regions with cards will usually form a common land mass (deviations from that are possible). The map can be found below the rules.

3. New turns start each Sunday, Tuesday and Friday at 12:01 am PST. Every player can play one card each turn. Its always first come first serve, but please no back to back posts (as this is against the board rules). Players can agree to change start times of course.

4. With every turn time moves forward. When you play a card, the associated event happens after everything that happened before. However, if it makes more sense that a new element may be just newly "discovered" that is possible too. Just use common sense.

5 Turns:
    a) Every player can place one Magic The Gathering Card per turn in one of the regions to introduce something new to the world or change it in some way.
    b) The first person placing a card in a region can name the region. Any card added to a region changes it in some way - it creates grassland, changes grassland to desert, adds a second related terrain, populates it with elves, builds a fortress, introduces a legendary creature etc.
    c) Each player can interpret the card they play as they want, they may take inspiration from the art, the flavor text, the mechanics or the name to set something up in the world. I would recommend though to change Names to make this world feel more unique.

6. Game Stages: There are three game stages.
    a) The Mystic Past. This stage lasts until 12 regions have been populated with at least one card representing the terrain. As long as a region has no cards, a player can ONLY play a card there that represents a type of terrain. However players CAN decide to play cards in regions that have already a card there (for example to populate a region even if there are still regions that are "water"). This shapes the geography and the mysteries during creation.
    b) The Ancient Past. This stage lasts until at least half of players vote to move on.
    Players can play cards that shape the geography, races, societies, cultures, some individuals, etc. from the creation through ancient history (everything is fair game, just keep an inner logic)
    b) The Recent Past. This stage lasts until players agree to stop.
    Cards that shape the recent interactions, events, etc. (anything in the last generation or two, there usually aren't any geography changes anymore, probably no new races appear, but maybe are there more individuals shaping the recent events). This is used to set-up recent events etc for the RPG game.

7. Posting format:
    a) Post the number of the region where you want to place a new card (A1 ... A5, B1 ... B5 etc)
    b) Name the card you drew or selected and post a link on the Gatherer.
    c) Name the region if you are the first placing a card there
    d) Write down a short text how the card moves the world forward and asdd a one sentence summary to make it easier keep track of events.
    e) Finally post the updated History of the World by adding your one sentence summary to the previous History
    f)
    Spoiler: Example
    Show

Play:

Play: C3Llanowar Reborn: The First Forest

"But when the old world died not everything was destroyed Freyalise had rescued a single seedling imbued with the hopes and dreams of what came before. And she planted it and it grew and transformed and brought life to the Reborn World. And soon there was the First Forest."

The First Forest grows from a seedling that survived the destruction of the World Before.

Spoiler: History of the World
    Show

1. C3: The First Forest grows from a seedling that survived the destruction of the World Before.

8. If you want, you can use the following link to get to a random Magic card and shuffle through some cards until you have found one you like OR you can just chose your cards any other way you like: Random Card. If you are using totally random cards it may make sense to create a hand of like 5 cards and choose one of them.

9. We will decide when something comes up we didn't think about. As stated in Rule 0: The goal is just to create a fun world together![/SPOILER]

And this is our map (I will update it after the first few lands have been posted)

https://i.postimg.cc/50VMZ0wy/MTG4.png

Anyone interested in playing?

Game Thread

Meta Thread

Players so far
    JoshuaZ
    JbeJ275
    hannahbbug3
    Goliathus
    Wasp
    Last edited by Wasp; 2019-06-10 at 09:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: [MTG4] Finding Players: World Creation with Magic Cards

Was in the last game. It was fun...
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Wookiee. 2 E's. [I am obsessed with this]
    My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    Was in the last game. It was fun...
    I think it's quite fun to see what kind of world develops over time.

So if anyone is interested...

Edit: OK, last try: If anyone is still interested - we can make adjustments to the rule if there's anything that's keeping people from posting ;-)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    I think it's quite fun to see what kind of world develops over time.

So if anyone is interested...

Edit: OK, last try: If anyone is still interested - we can make adjustments to the rule if there's anything that's keeping people from posting ;-)
    I'd be interested in playing. Having read some of the previous rounds, two thing rule-wises that stands out where it would be nice to have some form of is 1) Ambiguity. Often there are contradictory legends about where something came from. Maybe one is completely false, or maybe both have nuggets of truth. The current system doesn't have any way of doing that. 2) A lot of the constructions felt like there wasn't that much interaction between the different things people were building. It might be nice to have ways especially in the early stages to have more interaction/influence between the locations and events. I'm not sure mechanically how best to do that.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I might take this up again
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Oh, that very nice and - at this point - unexpected. I think if we find at least one additional player we could start the game!

Regarding the rules suggestions:
    1. Yeah, I don't really know how to implement contradictory legends. Maybe we say players can either describe the effect of a card as normal OR write it down as an in-game text (a legend, a history book, a payer, a prophecy) to indicate they have established something that may have happened this way or another. But I would like to leave this up to players.

2. That's a good point regarding connections. Maybe we could ask that anything introduced should have at least a minor connection to something that was posted by someone else before?

What do you think?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Oh, that very nice and - at this point - unexpected. I think if we find at least one additional player we could start the game!

Regarding the rules suggestions:
    1. Yeah, I don't really know how to implement contradictory legends. Maybe we say players can either describe the effect of a card as normal OR write it down as an in-game text (a legend, a history book, a payer, a prophecy) to indicate they have established something that may have happened this way or another. But I would like to leave this up to players.

2. That's a good point regarding connections. Maybe we could ask that anything introduced should have at least a minor connection to something that was posted by someone else before?

What do you think?
    Those both sound good to me.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Anyone else who wants to join?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to play! I'm not super experienced with Magic (only just started playing in the last year) but I love worldbuilding!
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

GREAT! I am going to open a new play thread then!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I checked the Microscope world-building thread you have and it looks very fun, I would like to join this one if possible.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Great! I'll add you to the player list! Feel free to post in the game thread!

Edit: Sorry, for clarification: Do you want to join the Microscope game or the Magic the Gathering game?
    Last edited by Wasp; 2019-06-10 at 03:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

MtG, the Microscope one is filled up from what I see. I am merely expressing that looks fun and I am joining this one.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

OK, great! If you want you can post in the game thread