Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 100
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Gaston, Oregon.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Be it a class, race, template, or anything.

    Heck, even a monster you might want your character to be.

    But what's your favorite character option that you conceptually LOVE, but can never bring yourself to play because it's just mechanically awful?

    For me, it's the Duelist. Super awesome concept. I love the idea. In practice? Bad AC, bad damage, bad bonus abilities. There's really nothing to like about it. It sucks.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Green star adept is fascinating albeit subpar. I have in my head the idea of a half green dragon half ogre (other half human) that takes all ten levels of that class. That LA is a killer too.

    Stonechild is another one I love the idea of. Again, pity about the LA.

    Shadow sun ninja is problematic.

    Master of nine also problematic. I still design characters around the ideas (even a Stonechild crusader master of nine) but playing them would be unfair to my fellow players.

    I like the idea of an arcane hierophant mystic theurge, but would only play it in special situations like an otherwise all martial party that wanted a buffer but did not want magic to overshadow them.

    I like the idea of the duellist and swashbuckler too.

    Oh, vow of poverty! Actually that may not count; I actually played a monk with that.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2019-05-12 at 12:32 AM.

    Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Gaston, Oregon.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    What's problematic about Shadow Sun Ninja?

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Crake's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Not quite because they're mechanically awful, but for me, playing a t1 caster to any degree of competence at my table is practically impossible, none of the players at my table can keep up either when I'm doing it as a player or as a DM, so I'm forced to either downplay or not use them
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Malphegor's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Warforged Factotum, every feat is Font of Inspiration (from a wev doodad, it gives you +1, +2, etc inspiration each time you take it). I’m pretty sure this is the most boring way to play a factotum, and you’re basically a factotum without any useful feats beyond increasing the capacity of times (by a ridiculous amount as Font of Inspiration gives you more each time you take it) you can do factotum stuff.

    But there’s something quite fun as a concept there, a warforged whose entire combat effectiveness is based on this one ‘battery’ of power, whose main schtick is emulating things it has seen on the battlefield in ages past. I wouldn’t want to play it for more than a session maybe.
    I'm using my signature to bookmark my favourite things I've seen on giantitp, none of them my own creation.
    | Horizon Tripper | Runecaster Handbook | Sha'ir Handbook |

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Crake's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Warforged Factotum, every feat is Font of Inspiration (from a wev doodad, it gives you +1, +2, etc inspiration each time you take it). I’m pretty sure this is the most boring way to play a factotum, and you’re basically a factotum without any useful feats beyond increasing the capacity of times (by a ridiculous amount as Font of Inspiration gives you more each time you take it) you can do factotum stuff.

    But there’s something quite fun as a concept there, a warforged whose entire combat effectiveness is based on this one ‘battery’ of power, whose main schtick is emulating things it has seen on the battlefield in ages past. I wouldn’t want to play it for more than a session maybe.
    Font of inspiration is by far the best feat available for factotums, the only reason most people don't take nothing but that feat when they play one is because you're limited in the number of times you can take it equal to your int modifier, so having 14 int for example means you can only take it twice.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Malphegor's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Font of inspiration is by far the best feat available for factotums, the only reason most people don't take nothing but that feat when they play one is because you're limited in the number of times you can take it equal to your int modifier, so having 14 int for example means you can only take it twice.
    Ah, I’d assumed there was no limit, hah. (I read the feat, but retained nothing but the benefits it seems lol)
    I'm using my signature to bookmark my favourite things I've seen on giantitp, none of them my own creation.
    | Horizon Tripper | Runecaster Handbook | Sha'ir Handbook |

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    I've always wanted to play a symbiotic or multi-headed character, but I'm currently the sole DM of my group not to mention they're both templates that are A. Annoying because of odd LA and variables, and B. complex to actually RP and build around.

    I've always wanted to play a javelin or sling based skirmish sort of build, but both tactically and mechanically they're not well suited to D&D.

    I've had a half-fleshed out build for a group of Goblins who use various polearms and swarmfighting sitting on my backburner for ages, can't really see it happening all according to the build unless I get a DM who'll let me cohort stack, and build my cohorts. (It's by no means broken but it has to be so specific and cohort stacking requires so much investment and trust from a DM that I can't see it happening.)

    But primarily, my number 1 concept I've wanted to work, is a build that uses the blunderbuss from that one DragMag and a cutlass. But that static DC15 save to avoid it just hurts too much after like, level 4. If I could pump the save DC up somehow, or something else. I don't even know, it's such an awkward problem with no glaring solution outside of DM fiat. Also the total lack of firearms support from WotC really hurts.
    The Grand Rudisplorking Commoner, with the Rudisplorkiest power of them all, the power of the vote!

    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    But it's okay, I'm wearing five pairs of shoes so they shouldn't be able to hit me.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    A Sauna in Hell
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenC21 View Post
    What's problematic about Shadow Sun Ninja?
    It's just fundamentally worse than not taking it and going full Swordsage.

    As for what I'd want to play, probably Truenamer. It's just that it requires a very lenient DM to be good. You need to have a DM that's literally constantly sucking up to you by giving all the magic items you need.

    Probably Tibbit or Buonman Truenamer too, just because.
    Last edited by MisterKaws; 2019-05-12 at 09:22 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Schwäbisch Hall
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    The dvati always fascinated me, and probably isn't even bad as a race, but the amount of adaptation and houseruling that seems to require always scared me.

    Also, it looks like, depending on your DM ruling, tends a bit too fast towards "overpowered" or "underwhelming", I always had the feeling with this race that the challenge would be to make it balanced.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Vizzerdrix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    I love the idea of the Lantan Artificer, but the devices are trash and the whole thing feels clunky.

    And I won't ever play a fiend of possession again, I think. It was too much.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,


    Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Hexblade. I love the "debuffing warrior" concept. I've tried playing them multiple times with different houserules to make them better, and they still always end up garbage. I can't pinpoint a single reason why, but I've just never made it line up even when we patch the obvious problems with the class as written.

    I love the concept of the shadowcaster, but it's just so limited and so low on stamina that I don't think I'll ever bring one to the table.

    In 3.5 (not PF), anything that could be described as an "alchemist." Whether relying heavily on Craft (Alchemy) or brewing lots of potions or using one of the various PrCs with "alchemist" in the name, it's just not a good bang-for-the-buck return on your gold (and time!) expended, but I love the archetype. (As Heliomance once quipped, "an alchemist? Does he turn lead into gold?" "Nah, most alchemists just seem to turn gold into less gold.")
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Please come participate in the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently judging for Round 17, and we'd love your opinion on the assembled builds!

    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Troacctid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Multitasking feat on a caster. I've tried to make it work, but it's really tough hitting the BAB requirements.

    Epic warlock feats. Nobody actually plays epic games.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    I love the idea of the Lantan Artificer, but the devices are trash and the whole thing feels clunky.

    And I won't ever play a fiend of possession again, I think. It was too much.
    Yeah, Fiend of Possession was on my list and I got to play it recently. It went pretty well, I was mostly social and did not interfere with the party much. They did not even know I was playing one for half the campaign, I just rode an NPC until the great unveiling.

    Next project is a Sharn with the multiheaded template (just one extra head). The extra head is no necessary, but perfect weapon fighting is a nice add one especially if the DM is nice and considers the 2HD from the template has advancing by HD for sharn rules.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Font of inspiration is by far the best feat available for factotums, the only reason most people don't take nothing but that feat when they play one is because you're limited in the number of times you can take it equal to your int modifier, so having 14 int for example means you can only take it twice.
    You can also only use so much inspiration per encounter. At some point it just does not add anything anymore.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Crake's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    You can also only use so much inspiration per encounter. At some point it just does not add anything anymore.
    Doesn't sneak attack cost 1 inspiration point per D6? Can't you spend inspiration points on practically every attack roll? Can't you spend 3 inspiration for an extra standard action? Aren't practically all of the uses free/non-actions? There's almost always another point you could spend somewhere in any particular encounter, I guarantee it. When I played a factotum, I had something like 14 inspiration points, and even then I felt like I could definitely use more.
    Last edited by Crake; 2019-05-12 at 07:54 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Not quite because they're mechanically awful, but for me, playing a t1 caster to any degree of competence at my table is practically impossible, none of the players at my table can keep up either when I'm doing it as a player or as a DM, so I'm forced to either downplay or not use them
    If I were you i'd play the wizard anyways as an TPK encounter as a wake-up call to your other players to get good. Nothing ruins d&d more than cutting 99% of the content because noob mundane players don't want to spend the effort to learn the game. After enough character deaths they will start reading up on how to survive the most basic of wizards and spend their money on things they actually need like immunities to the various SoDs instead of whatever they're doing.

    Why play d&d 3.5 if you're not gonna use spellcasting? Switch to 5e.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GreatWyrmGold's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In a castle under the sea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by ekarney View Post
    I've always wanted to play a symbiotic or multi-headed character, but I'm currently the sole DM of my group not to mention they're both templates that are A. Annoying because of odd LA and variables, and B. complex to actually RP and build around.
    Spoiler: Lengthy spiel about a memorable experience at my table
    Show

    This brought a big smile to my face, because my gaming group ran through Storm King's Thunder with two players playing an ettin named Mundogar. (I think they basically used these rules, except they rolled for ability scores nine times and just assigned three of those to physical abilities.) Mundo was a barbarian who served as the group's tank; Dogar was a warlock who picked up an unfortunate love of the spell blink. I learned how terrible of a tank my cleric was. It was fun!
    It would not have worked very well if the group dynamics had been different. My character, Kazune, was a Lord's Alliance kid, very straight-laced and formal (but not too strict to his comrades, because that wouldn't be fun for anyone and also wouldn't help). Mundogar was a folk hero (their catchphrase was "We big hero") and a member of the Lord's Alliance, wearing their emblem proudly on basically every article of clothing they wore (as an explanation for why an ettin could amble into town without stirring panic and mobs of local adventurers); he was sent to help Kazune on his mission, along with the first of many replacement characters for a problem player whose foolishness is a story for another time. Mundogar listened to Kazune, but could end up in trouble if he wasn't watched (like one time Dogar pushed Mundo off of the dock, which lead to some miscommunication about going to a bathhouse that I never heard the end of).

    TL;DR: This is 100% playable, if you have the right players. To quote our DM, "It's going to be incredible, I just don't know if it'll be incredibly good or incredibly bad."
    I'm not sure how to make it work in 3.5 and be balanced, but a DM who's interested in trying it out could probably start with the ettin rules I linked.


    Quote Originally Posted by sorcererlover View Post
    If I were you i'd play the wizard anyways as an TPK encounter as a wake-up call to your other players to get good. Nothing ruins d&d more than cutting 99% of the content because noob mundane players don't want to spend the effort to learn the game. After enough character deaths they will start reading up on how to survive the most basic of wizards and spend their money on things they actually need like immunities to the various SoDs instead of whatever they're doing.
    Spoiler: Hoo boy
    Show

    I am so glad I'm not in your group. My group actually does have a munchkin who could pull off that kind of stuff, but he doesn't want to because there's only so much fun to be had from "beating" the game. Instead, he munchkins to make silly concepts work, which not only fits in with the lackluster optimization skills of basically the entire rest of the group, but also lets him play silly characters that still work.
    For those who read the previous spoiler, he played Dogar. In Pathfinder, he's played a self-buffing whip-using cleric who he quickly retired for being too strong (which was semi-intentional, since he wanted to annoy the DM); an evil alchemist with potions or infusions for any situation but few combat options beyond bombs and buffs; and a halfling rogue who specializes in jumping on top of enemies (which gives allies flanking bonuses).

    I'm not going to call your kind of D&D "wrong". There are games which I enjoy optimizing, but TRPGs are not among them. I don't play TRPGs for the numbers games; I find VRPGs much more satisfying in that regard. I play TRPGs for the characters I can create, the characters the other players create, and the stories we tell along the way. This is also a legitimate way to play D&D, but it's a fundamentally different game from the kind you like to play. It's not just "noobs" who don't bother with optimization; one of the guys at my table has been playing D&D since second edition, and he still doesn't care about charop, because he doesn't play a version of D&D where that matters.
    If you're DMing a game where enemy wizards destroy underprepared characters as punishment for not grabbing the "right" immunities and whatnot, and they don't start consulting charop boards for advice on how to build uber-characters, it doesn't mean they're bad players. It means you're a bad DM, for either not communicating the kind of game you want to run or not running the game the players want to play. Possibly both, if you're as blind to other playstyles as your tone implies.

    P.S. There's a lot you can do with spellcasting in 3.5 that you can't in 5e, and not all of it involves SoD abuse.
    I'm the GWG from Bay12 and a bunch of other places.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

    Negative LA Assignment Thread
    The Tale of Demman, Second King of Ireland, a CKII AAR, won a WritAAR of the Week award. Winner of Villainous Competition 8
    Fanfic

    Avatar by Recaiden.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Telonius's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wandering in Harrekh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Literally unplayable? A Lawful Bard. (This is Exhibit A of why I remove most alignment restrictions in my house rules). I want a Skald who preserves all of the oral traditions of their people, respectful of the past and preserving tradition for the next generation.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Montreal, QC

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Hexblade. I love the "debuffing warrior" concept. I've tried playing them multiple times with different houserules to make them better, and they still always end up garbage. I can't pinpoint a single reason why, but I've just never made it line up even when we patch the obvious problems with the class as written.

    I love the concept of the shadowcaster, but it's just so limited and so low on stamina that I don't think I'll ever bring one to the table.
    It depends on what sort of table you're at, but I've found that giving a Hexblade the same casting progression as a Bard and allowing them casting in Medium armor w/o costing a feat can do the trick. It makes them more of an actual hexer with enough spells to back up their limited uses of their class abilities, and it makes them less MAD by de-prioritizing dexterity. As for Shadowcasters, I actually tried playing a Wizard/Shadowcaster/Noctumancer once since I loved the concept of Shadow Magic but wanted some more old-fashioned, reliable spells to back it up. Unfortunately, I was barely into Noctumancer when we TPKed, partially due to my abysmal lack of spells/mysteries per day. If I'd gone single-classed Shadowcaster, it'd have actually been worse. Shadowcaster'd probably be my personal pick of favorite unplayable option.

    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Literally unplayable? A Lawful Bard. (This is Exhibit A of why I remove most alignment restrictions in my house rules). I want a Skald who preserves all of the oral traditions of their people, respectful of the past and preserving tradition for the next generation.
    This is possible, as long as you're willing to seek Atonement for your Lawful deeds every time that you are about to level up. You can then just stray once more from the path of Chaos, reverting to your Lawful behavior in short order. Heck yes it's totally cheesy, but it's not literally unplayable.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Well there is that 3.5 feat in complete adventurer (devoted performer) that lets you play a LG paladin/bard.

    Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Possible but way too much effort: mundane sniper. Now yes, you can pull off Targetteer + Deepwood Sniper + Aura of Perfect Order before 20 but it takes way too many levels, lacks tricks vs. Crit-immunity and is just so much worse in every way than just casting Hunter's Mercy with no build resources invested.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Schwäbisch Hall
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bphill561 View Post
    Next project is a Sharn with the multiheaded template (just one extra head). The extra head is no necessary, but perfect weapon fighting is a nice add one especially if the DM is nice and considers the 2HD from the template has advancing by HD for sharn rules.
    Ah, the sharn, one of my favorite characters! I've played one once, and it was banhammered by the DM after, say, 5 sessions - just enough to cover a story arc that involved a lot of combat on a
    semi-uninhabited island.
    Really overpowered, although a straight wizard is probably contributing more to the party's scopes. But taken in isolation, the sharn may seem broken as it gives you an idea of "unstoppability".

    Anyhow the main reason the DM banned it, besides the fact that it didn't fit the average optimization level of the party, was more or less "you are not going back to a civilized land WITH THAT THING if you don't want to scare the **** out of every peasant".

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Luccan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Old West
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Anything with "ninja" in its name. The base class, Ninja Spy, Shadow Sun Ninja, so on. These classes tend to have cool abilities that are way too limited/gained too late in comparison to spell or maneuvers.

    There are a ton of really flavorful and unique Wu Jen spells that I'd love to use on a character that would actually be hot garbage in practice.

    Before I learned about OA Samurai and its character-not-class-level refluffable magic weapon, I really wanted to use the CW Kensai

    And now for something less weebish: I really like the Spellsword PRC, but they don't even get a unique class feature until level 4. Honestly, you could throw most of the classes in CW here. I loved that book, but most of its offerings were kind of terrible in retrospect. I mean, this is the book that gave us Spell-less Rangers and Paladins.

    I wish Soulknife was even a quarter as good as the people who wrote it up thought it was. As is, I have a strong desire to play in a very low-tier class game just to have fun with some of the options that normally are too bad to pick even for fun.

    Edit: Ooh, Ooh! Dragon Shaman especially. I like all their abilities and don't even mind they barely tie into the dragon theme. It's just they get outshined by everyone.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-05-13 at 02:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

    I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    I have a homebrew: A couple Generic Classes (Now with a new Feat and ACF!)

    Avatar by linklele

    Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

    E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing


  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Crake's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by sorcererlover View Post
    If I were you i'd play the wizard anyways as an TPK encounter as a wake-up call to your other players to get good. Nothing ruins d&d more than cutting 99% of the content because noob mundane players don't want to spend the effort to learn the game. After enough character deaths they will start reading up on how to survive the most basic of wizards and spend their money on things they actually need like immunities to the various SoDs instead of whatever they're doing.

    Why play d&d 3.5 if you're not gonna use spellcasting? Switch to 5e.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Spoiler: Hoo boy
    Show

    I am so glad I'm not in your group. My group actually does have a munchkin who could pull off that kind of stuff, but he doesn't want to because there's only so much fun to be had from "beating" the game. Instead, he munchkins to make silly concepts work, which not only fits in with the lackluster optimization skills of basically the entire rest of the group, but also lets him play silly characters that still work.
    For those who read the previous spoiler, he played Dogar. In Pathfinder, he's played a self-buffing whip-using cleric who he quickly retired for being too strong (which was semi-intentional, since he wanted to annoy the DM); an evil alchemist with potions or infusions for any situation but few combat options beyond bombs and buffs; and a halfling rogue who specializes in jumping on top of enemies (which gives allies flanking bonuses).

    I'm not going to call your kind of D&D "wrong". There are games which I enjoy optimizing, but TRPGs are not among them. I don't play TRPGs for the numbers games; I find VRPGs much more satisfying in that regard. I play TRPGs for the characters I can create, the characters the other players create, and the stories we tell along the way. This is also a legitimate way to play D&D, but it's a fundamentally different game from the kind you like to play. It's not just "noobs" who don't bother with optimization; one of the guys at my table has been playing D&D since second edition, and he still doesn't care about charop, because he doesn't play a version of D&D where that matters.
    If you're DMing a game where enemy wizards destroy underprepared characters as punishment for not grabbing the "right" immunities and whatnot, and they don't start consulting charop boards for advice on how to build uber-characters, it doesn't mean they're bad players. It means you're a bad DM, for either not communicating the kind of game you want to run or not running the game the players want to play. Possibly both, if you're as blind to other playstyles as your tone implies.

    P.S. There's a lot you can do with spellcasting in 3.5 that you can't in 5e, and not all of it involves SoD abuse.
    My player groups have wiped on far less than full t1 spellcasting out the ass, but while I may not necessarily be able to include such NPCs as direct competition to the players, I do get to include them in the world at large, so it's not such an issue. That said, while I very much disagree with the notion of "wipe them until they learn", if they do come across high OP enemies because of their own choices, that's when I don't hold back. For example, the last party wipe that occured for this reason happened because they party decided to rest in the middle of enemy territory so the party druid could regain spells since he'd decided mid session to retrain into a full druid, instead of multiclassing, but I told him he wouldn't get his max level spell slots back until he rested and prayed again, so.... well, they were ambushed that night, and ggwp.

    Also, my players don't exclusively play mundanes, they play plenty of spellcaster characters, they just don't play them at t1/t2 or even sometimes even t3 level.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2018

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by sorcererlover View Post
    If I were you i'd play the wizard anyways as an TPK encounter as a wake-up call to your other players to get good. Nothing ruins d&d more than cutting 99% of the content because noob mundane players don't want to spend the effort to learn the game. After enough character deaths they will start reading up on how to survive the most basic of wizards and spend their money on things they actually need like immunities to the various SoDs instead of whatever they're doing.

    Why play d&d 3.5 if you're not gonna use spellcasting? Switch to 5e.
    Depends on how bad the "noob mundane" characters really are - if they can't afford constant Death Wards/Nondetection while also lacking minionmancy and/or planehopping and so on, I'd be a bit more lenient and be fine with less divination/teleportation heavy casters and more martial-style threats like exotic monsters. But if they're completely behind the curve on damage and health, cannot overcome regeneration/fast healing of most things and lack means to deal with ability damage, negative levels etc. I can understand the meatgrinding.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2014

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Spoiler: Hoo boy
    Show

    I am so glad I'm not in your group. My group actually does have a munchkin who could pull off that kind of stuff, but he doesn't want to because there's only so much fun to be had from "beating" the game. Instead, he munchkins to make silly concepts work, which not only fits in with the lackluster optimization skills of basically the entire rest of the group, but also lets him play silly characters that still work.
    For those who read the previous spoiler, he played Dogar. In Pathfinder, he's played a self-buffing whip-using cleric who he quickly retired for being too strong (which was semi-intentional, since he wanted to annoy the DM); an evil alchemist with potions or infusions for any situation but few combat options beyond bombs and buffs; and a halfling rogue who specializes in jumping on top of enemies (which gives allies flanking bonuses).

    I'm not going to call your kind of D&D "wrong". There are games which I enjoy optimizing, but TRPGs are not among them. I don't play TRPGs for the numbers games; I find VRPGs much more satisfying in that regard. I play TRPGs for the characters I can create, the characters the other players create, and the stories we tell along the way. This is also a legitimate way to play D&D, but it's a fundamentally different game from the kind you like to play. It's not just "noobs" who don't bother with optimization; one of the guys at my table has been playing D&D since second edition, and he still doesn't care about charop, because he doesn't play a version of D&D where that matters.
    If you're DMing a game where enemy wizards destroy underprepared characters as punishment for not grabbing the "right" immunities and whatnot, and they don't start consulting charop boards for advice on how to build uber-characters, it doesn't mean they're bad players. It means you're a bad DM, for either not communicating the kind of game you want to run or not running the game the players want to play. Possibly both, if you're as blind to other playstyles as your tone implies.

    P.S. There's a lot you can do with spellcasting in 3.5 that you can't in 5e, and not all of it involves SoD abuse.
    There's a difference between a munchkin going mailman or multiple turning pool DMM:Persistent Spell CoDzilla and completely ruining the game by one shotting everything while being unkillable, and a person being unable to play a wizard that just chooses the best spells because his mundane players are so bad at the game even after years of playing that they can't handle even one spellcaster. And since 99% of d&d is related to spellcasting, they cut 99% of the game off.

    If you don't want to TPK then annoy the bejeezus out of them with Evard's Black Tentacles and Solid Fog until they learn that Freedom of Movement is Mandatory before moving on to Enervation and Charm Monster and then to maximized delayed blast fireball and polar ray.

  28. - Top - End - #28

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    My artificer who can bring a Colossal Object to life at level 2.

    I like big robots annihilating fantasy monsters. Makes me feel like "i'm a better monster maker than you".

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Malphegor's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboEmperor View Post
    My artificer who can bring a Colossal Object to life at level 2.

    I like big robots annihilating fantasy monsters. Makes me feel like "i'm a better monster maker than you".
    wait, that's possible that low? I was looking at a character focused on animating objects once, the best I could see was via an urban druid since they're basically built to animate all the things at all times.

    Do artificers get anything do it better?
    I'm using my signature to bookmark my favourite things I've seen on giantitp, none of them my own creation.
    | Horizon Tripper | Runecaster Handbook | Sha'ir Handbook |

  30. - Top - End - #30

    Default Re: Your favorite unplayable character option?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    wait, that's possible that low? I was looking at a character focused on animating objects once, the best I could see was via an urban druid since they're basically built to animate all the things at all times.

    Do artificers get anything do it better?
    There's a +1 weapon special ability called Flying (Magic of Faerun) that turns any weapon into an animated object. So just cast Personal Weapon Augmentation on Colossal weapon and you got yourself a Colossal Animated Object.

    You can do this at level 1 but I go cleric1/artificer1 as an Illumian to persist the Personal Weapon Augmentation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •