New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Playing an empowering wizard!

The title is not meant to be snarky whatsoever!!!! i realized it might sound like I'm being an ass but I just wanna make em happy

My wizard is entirely broken. Can concentrate-on-2-spells for 10 minutes a day, is a UA lore wizard, 32 Int, end-game magic items broken.

On a roleplay level, I know exactly what to do - play a merlin-esque character that doesn't take the spotlight but helps other characters and only steps up to their full power when necessary for survival or for goals to be achieved, buuut-

What do you, hypothetical martial player, want in the way of buffs and spell support?

I can cast any spell of eigth level or lower twice (once with the lore wizard feature, once with wish) a day, and can concentrate, as previously stated, on two spells at the same time.

Fellow casters, what are some spells you have gotten to combine, perhaps with other casters, to great effect? Any recommendations for fun interactions?

I am specifically asking for stuff that isn't world-endingly powerful; i'm looking for tricks and low-level spell interactions that are flavourful and have enough power to not feel like a waste of time, but not be overpowered either!
    Last edited by Silkensword; 2019-05-12 at 03:42 PM. Reason: title was misleading about question
    Bladesinging: Saying "no thank you" to bounded accuracy since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyBlack View Post
    It's called "Magic: the Gathering". Not "Martials: the Gathering."
    Link to my Homebrew fighter subclass, The Duelist
    Homebrew Spells
    Love bugs? Try The Entomancer!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: My Wizard is broken; how do I make my table happy?

My suggestion would be to start following the rules.
    Back in my day we used all of our spells before the fight, and it was just a matter of time before the DM realized his encounter was over.
    And we walked to our dungeons uphill through the snow, both ways.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

As a wizard, the best buff spells you can muster are:
    Mage armor (higher AC for dex chars)

Jump (surprisingly good utility, sometimes in combat too)

Grapplers will want Enlarge/reduce to increase the number of things they can grapple

Sneakers love invisibility

Fighters love magic weapon if they don’t already have one, because they really get boned by resistances.

Might as well bring enhance ability,

Can’t go wrong with haste and fly.

Also, stoneskin is somewhat situational, but really really good on a fighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Honestly, unless the Barbarian has a 32 Str, the Rogue a 32 Dex, the Cleric a 32 Wis, etc... all with similar magic level items as you..... you should retire the silly character and play a real character meant for 5e. That's my 2 cents.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    As a wizard, the best buff spells you can muster are:
    Mage armor (higher AC for dex chars)

Jump (surprisingly good utility, sometimes in combat too)

Grapplers will want Enlarge/reduce to increase the number of things they can grapple

Sneakers love invisibility

Fighters love magic weapon if they don’t already have one, because they really get boned by resistances.

Might as well bring enhance ability,

Can’t go wrong with haste and fly.

Also, stoneskin is somewhat situational, but really really good on a fighter.

Jump is something i've never considered, I'm gonna have to give the spell another look! with haste I always worry i end up losing concentration while they're in a dangerous situation but I'll keep it in mind!
    Homebrew Spells

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Honestly, unless the Barbarian has a 32 Str, the Rogue a 32 Dex, the Cleric a 32 Wis, etc... all with similar magic level items as you..... you should retire the silly character and play a real character meant for 5e. That's my 2 cents.
    Oh yeah they're. all at an enormous power level. It's just that the wizard gets the most abilities to help out the others with their power (maybe alongside our paladin), it's not that there's a balance issue, it's all wildly homebrew and the DM knows just what we can handle, we've fought literal legions of hell and that kinda stuff, CR 32 homebrew creatures at level 16, that kinda stuff. I'd absolutely retire a character that felt like they were silly compared to the world they're in!
    Homebrew Spells

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

how did you get 32 int?!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Oh, and don’t forget water breathing. Since it’s a ritual, you don’t even need to prepare it, just take ten minutes to cast it on the party every morning.

If you have jump and fly, spider climb’s probably not worth while, especially with so many other good level 2 buff spells.

I’d also check out the Investiture of X spells in the Elemental Evil Player’s Companion and Xanathar’s guide, for some good high level buff spells.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2019-05-12 at 03:31 PM.
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by cajbaj View Post
    how did you get 32 int?!

See, when i first joined, my character inherited a homebrew cloak that grants +11 to intelligence- back then, I thought it was gonna be a verrry jokey campaign with characters that breeze through everything and nothing really mattering, after all, on a nat 1, one of the fumble effects, on any nat 1 rolled, is to draw from the deck of many things, or bestow life to inanimate objects.

...turns out, cloak belongs to a dead deity of magic and order, and the fact that _I_ have the cloak is _probably_ part of the reason that Things Are Messed Up? so, now part of my characters quest, who has figured out the connection because her int is. 32, is to restore that deity to life and return the relic, to reign in the chaos in the world.

(the title of the world is "a makeshift world" so the chaos of it all is very much part of the ambience ;D)

thanks for the curiosity!!
    Homebrew Spells

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    I’d also check out the Investiture of X spells in the Elemental Evil Player’s Companion and Xanathar’s guide, for some good high level buff spells.
    I don't thiiink i have a way to cast self range spells on other people, but i wouldn't be surprised if there's something like that somewhere on my sheet xD
    Homebrew Spells

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

My suggestion is to play your character to emphasize his flaws. Make mistakes, don't be afraid of them, but don't let it affect your combat effectiveness. Really play up how much you lack in wisdom, charisma and other stats. Be very rigid in logical solutions and insist certain things are the right way even when you can determine with a bit of insight that they should be the other way. Roll dices for yourself to determine how you decide to treat others, from maybe a list.

Be fun, but only so much as it doesn't annoy the others.

And have fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Playing an empowering wizard!

EDIT: I changed the title since i felt that people might've been misled about the premise of the question!
    Homebrew Spells

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Hold Person/Monster all day long. You aren't actually doing any damage, but you sure as heck are giving those martials a gigantic boost to the damage they land against the enemy.

Otherwise boosts that will help out and not require concentration.
    Mage Armor
    Longstrider
    Suggestion/Mass Suggestion - The rogue is the most frightening thing you have ever seen, you need to get miles away from him to be safe (AoOs all day long)
    True Seeing
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-05-12 at 04:15 PM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Hold Person/Monster all day long. You aren't actually doing any damage, but you sure as heck are giving those martials a gigantic boost to the damage they land against the enemy.
    Oooh, this actually stacks pretty decently with an upcasting of elemental weapon for extra damage dice. Perhaps a good use of your dual concentration.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

You have +19 minimum to hit, and 27 as a save DC, how does anything short of a tarrasque even pose a threat?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    You have +19 minimum to hit, and 27 as a save DC, how does anything short of a tarrasque even pose a threat?
    We've been mostly fighting extremely high numbers of, or ridiculously powerful, homebrew creatures, many of which have been a lot scarier than a tarrasque, as well as equally stacked enemy spellcasters!
    Homebrew Spells

17. - Top - End - #17
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Sorry I know this is kind of off topic from what you were asking, but what's the point in having such inflated stats if the monsters also have inflated stats? Bounded accuracy is the same as if you all kept the 20 stat cap.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Sorry I know this is kind of off topic from what you were asking, but what's the point in having such inflated stats if the monsters also have inflated stats? Bounded accuracy is the same as if you all kept the 20 stat cap.
    Honestly? good question. I guess my monkey brain just likes to watch numbers go up.
    Homebrew Spells