Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: The Illustrated Dragonlance Reread

What the heck IS a Fewmaster, anyway? I mean, I know it's sort a local commander/taskmaster in the Dragonlance setting, but a casual Googling turns up no other definition outside of "fictional title in Dragonlance". So where did the authors get the title from? Because it's a distinctly weird one.

Also, apparently Fewmaster Toede has his own Facebook page. Dude's more on the ball than I thought.

The conversation the companions are having makes me laugh when I think about it in a tabletop setting. The players get into an in-character argument about where to go next, and then...

GM: Roll to see if the Draconians notice your argument.

Flint: 17
    Goldmoon: 14
    Sturm: 15
    Tanis: I GOT A FOUR!!!!!

This isn't even the first time Tanis has managed to be the least stealthy in the party either. No wonder the elves refer to him as half-human, cause Legolas he ain't.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

According to the War of the Lance supplement:

Within the Dragonarmy hierarchy, the role of Fewmaster is a special role, outside of the normal chain of command. Whilst the Highlords are the grand generals of the armies, the Highmasters are their lieutenants, the various Dragonarmy officers and the rank and file fall beneath this structure, and the Fewmasters are off to the side.

The Fewmasters operate on a provincial level only, and are normally in charge of a single company of soldiers. The Fewmasters answer directly to their own Dragon Highlord, and generally are assigned to do the dirty work for their master. Outside of their assigned roles, the Fewmasters had little influence or authority within the Dragonarmies, other than having easy access to the ear of their Highlord. The Fewmasters were only assigned to locations where there was some strategic value during the war.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    According to the War of the Lance supplement:
    Now I'm trying to imagine the talent pool where somebody looked at Toede and went "yep, that's the best pick."
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Now I'm trying to imagine the talent pool where somebody looked at Toede and went "yep, that's the best pick."
    Toede rather reminds me of "Mayonnaise" Quirke from the Discworld book Men at Arms. An idiot who wound up in a position nobody more capable wanted through a bit of corruption and kissing the asses of more important people. Solace is a big enough place that they didn't want to leave it unoccupied, but not really militarily valuable in its own right. So, you stick a company of low-ranking draconians in there and stick Toede in charge to do the extraordinarily simple task of stopping the population from rebelling. Well, and shipping them off to become slaves - again, managing this with a company of draconians at your back doesn't require a rocket scientist.

Presumably there are other Fewmasters in places like Haven who are considerably more qualified - assuming that they didn't put a higher ranked person in charge of plum positions like that.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I like Tika, too. I always thought she was more interesting than Goldmoon or Laurana, anyway.
    I'm curious, what did you find interesting about Tika? For myself I thought she was brave and likeable but not especially interesting. (And certainly not when compared to Laurana.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Laurana and Tika's stories start off similarly with both of them being inexperienced young women who follow a man they like off to war, but thereafter Laurana is a much more dynamic character who faces much greater challenges, accomplishes much greater deeds, and grows much more as person than Tika (who has a great moment in this chapter but thereafter is a rather static character who doesn't really do much.)

6. - Top - End - #306
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

For the life of me I don't recall anyone -- not one single other being in all of Dragonlance -- who has the title "Fewmaster". Not one.

How much do you want to bet it's some sort of joke the Dragonarmies are playing on him? Sort of like giving a junior officer the rank of Super Macho Greatest Field Marshall Of All Time -- and he's so stupid that he's the only one in the dragonarmy who takes it seriously.

LATER,

Spoiler
    Show

He'll be promoted to Dragon Highlord, Takhisis knows why.

And of course he has his very own book , well worth a read, which shows that he's secretly the being around which the entire Dragonlance universe revolves.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm curious, what did you find interesting about Tika? For myself I thought she was brave and likeable but not especially interesting. (And certainly not when compared to Laurana.)
    Indeed, I'd also like to know the answer. Tika is nice, but not fascinating. From all the (good-aligned) females in the main party, Goldmoon has the most intersting story before the beginning of the first book (thus I find it a shame that starting from Xak Tsarok, she becomes gradually less important), while Laurana has the best character arc in the original trilogy.
    Regarding the chapter… I love how Raistling manages to protect the companions' stuff thought intimidation, deception and the moderate use of flash power. Also, does anybody know which spell he casts against the goblin? Magic Missile, perhaps?

Currently playing:
    Gardin Farawyn Saskeon of Efteria, Elven Bard und Oracle
    Faire Camoretta, Halfling Monk.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Elvensilver View Post
    Indeed, I'd also like to know the answer. Tika is nice, but not fascinating. From all the (good-aligned) females in the main party, Goldmoon has the most intersting story before the beginning of the first book (thus I find it a shame that starting from Xak Tsarok, she becomes gradually less important), while Laurana has the best character arc in the original trilogy.
    Regarding the chapter… I love how Raistling manages to protect the companions' stuff thought intimidation, deception and the moderate use of flash power. Also, does anybody know which spell he casts against the goblin? Magic Missile, perhaps?
    It has to be magic missile, I think. He's only got about three first-level spells. That leaves us with burning hands, shocking grasp, and magic missile for causing damage. MM is the only one that fits.

Two notes from the module:

Spoiler
    Show

1) There is no way to avoid being captured and put on the slave train. If you don't help Tika the guards will take you in anyway on some pretext. If you leave town you run smack into overwhelming force led by Toede on whatever road you take. All aboard the plot train!

2) Caramon's listed INT is 12. I think Raistlin sells him short. While Caramon isn't in Raistlin's class (int 17) that's still above average intelligence. He's not a stupid meathead.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl