New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default I need help with elemental-associated races from previous D&D editions.

I'm working on populating my elemental planes, and in keeping with my pattern, want to do so with creatures similar to the ones in the mortal plane. So these would be things like Azer being dwarves who are "reborn" into Fire, aarakocra as humans reborn into Air, etc. I also want similar but less dramatic types for elementally-touched creatures on the mortal plane (similar to genasi, but not human at the base).

My current set is as follows, with ??? marking ones I need help with (although I'll take suggestions for any of them). Before I make anything up, I'd like to pull from previous editions, even if just for names and traits.

Note: Non-standard cosmology ahead.

Spoiler: Plane-touched mortals
    Show

* elemental-touched humans => genasi
    * shadow-touched humans => Shades
    * astral-touched humans => aasimar and tieflings
    * fey-touched humans => hags (f) /oni (m)

* earth-touched goblins => Rock gnomes
    * air-touched goblins => ???
    * fire-touched goblins => ???
    * water-touched goblins => kuo-toa (will be renamed)
    * ice-touched goblins => barbegazi (my creation)
    * fey-touched goblins => forest gnomes

* shadow-touched dwarves => duergar
    * elemental-touched dwarves => ???
    * fey-touched dwarves => ???

* water-touched elves => sea elves (duh) / sahuagan
    * air-touched elves => avariel*
    * fire-touched elves => ???
    * earth-touched elves => ???
    * shadow-touched elves => shadar-kai (renamed)
    * fey-touched elves => eladrin

Spoiler: Planar Inhabitants
    Show

Immortals
    These are only on here by courtesy--they're really separate races. Occasionally a particularly-attuned mortal elf will, after death, find themselves "reborn" into one of these. Otherwise they don't reproduce, age, or die.

* Elemental-bound elves => genies, including djinn, marid, dao, and efreeti (more relatives than anything, they split off a long time ago and don't consider themselves kin)
    * Astral-bound elves => angels/fiends (more relatives than anything, they split off a long time ago and don't consider themselves kin)

Mortals
    Shadow-, fey-, and astral-bound bound mortals don't exist for setting reasons. These all have physical bodies and live and die as normal, just not on the material plane

* earth-bound goblins => deep gnomes, earth-aspected mephits
    * air-bound goblins => kenku, air-aspected mephits
    * fire-bound goblins => magmin, fire-aspected mephits
    * water-bound goblins => water-aspected mephits

* air-bound humans => aarakocra
    * water-bound humans => triton, merfolk
    * fire-bound humans => ???
    * earth-bound humans => ???

* earth-bound dwarves => korred (yes, I know they're traditionally fey).
    * air-bound dwarves => ??? ??? ???
    * water-bound dwarves => ???
    * fire-bound dwarves => azer
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2019-05-14 at 06:22 AM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: I need help with elemental-associated races from previous D&D editions.

I like the premise.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: I need help with elemental-associated races from previous D&D editions.

why do your goblins turn into gnomes?
    LGBTA+itP
    I'm dyslectic and English is not my first language, so I'll probably make a few spelling errors.
    the Third god of Ghysa, the Rainbow Prince(ss) (RIP), and None, Master of Shadows, and currently Nature's Sculptor, Nathall

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by DMwithoutPC's View Post
    why do your goblins turn into gnomes?
    Because otherwise I couldn't find a niche for gnomes, to the point that I had written them out of the setting (hence their current "legendary" status).

Specifically, goblins are descended from beings called Proteans. They served Primordial Change, able to take on lots of different shapes and mindsets to communicate between primal races. When Change rebelled in the Dawn War and lost, the Proteans were thrust down and degenerated into goblins. Goblins are still very mutable and unstable as a race. They're the source of many of the other races--

Hobgoblins and bugbears are temporary changes made as the tribe needs certain things (combat forms and heavy lifting/extreme combat forms, respectively). A tribe will pour its energy into an individual, transforming them into a hobgoblin or bugbear for the duration of the emergency. These advanced forms are sterile while transformed.

Humans are hobgoblins who were modified by elven magic to fix their shape and detach them from the tribe.
    Orcs are hobgoblins who were modified by primal magics (including some animal "DNA") as warriors.
    Halflings are goblins who got mutated by wild magic during the magical equivalent of a nuclear war.
    Gnomes are the result of elemental/fey influence. Sort of the goblin version of a genasi.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

well there are few sourcebooks that could also probably help....unearthed arcana IIRC had mods for fire, air (which could just be Aravriel but had more options) etc of all sorts of races. And some to Races of the Wild, Races of Stone, (whatever the human one was) could also be useful.

also things like Gloamarings (gloamings? not sure of name atm) from the 3.5 Underdark book as shadow/light winged something that got seriously twisted.

and there is question if you want to do something with drow as XXX touched elves.
    And sahaugin which have a weird connection to sea elves via malenti

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Goblins--> mephits?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

what about efreet?
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    what about efreet?
    Those are included under genies (ie elemental-bound elves). Same with marid, dao, and djinn.

@rferries

That's a good idea, especially for the elemental-bound variants.