The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: The Golden Age of Sail (D&D 3.5)

I've done a bit of math on this, because DMing would be a dream job if it could be a full time thing.

A best reasonable case scenario would be to DM in two 5 hour blocks per day: that gives groups some flexibility, which is needed if you want to get groups on the week day.

Assuming you could get 2 groups regularly 5 days a week, with an average of 5 customers per group, that's 250 customer hours per week, 1000 customer hours per month.

How much is to live a comfortable life? Eeh, up for debate, but let's set the goal at the US average of $55k/year.

250 hrs/week * 50 weeks (give yourself 2 vacation weeks to stay sane) = 12,500, which would be $4.40 per person per hour, or $22 per person for their weekly session. That seems like a fairly reasonable price to expect people to pay if you're a good DM, you could even justify charging a bit more.

Of course, you'd have to buy a bunch of books, dice, tables and chairs, etc, but those costs aren't astronomical. You'd probably be running it out of your house, unless you had a gaming shop to help offset the cost of the building.

The really tough part is getting a bunch of regular groups. Luckily the nature of a campaign is that people will be regular once they start, but you have to really sell and advertise yourself to get those customers.

Then again, I suppose there's lots of things you can do like free trial week to get people in the door. I think it's doable, it's something I would love to do in my life. But at least for the first couple years you'd have to eat sleep and breathe the business. 50+ hours a week DMing, but more time advertising, doing free sessions, planning games, building a website (an account based website where people could regularly pay online, browse systems and games you offer, see your schedule, upload characters, and possibly even have some portal to see game hangouts) etc.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    I've done a bit of math on this, because DMing would be a dream job if it could be a full time thing.

A best reasonable case scenario would be to DM in two 5 hour blocks per day: that gives groups some flexibility, which is needed if you want to get groups on the week day.

Assuming you could get 2 groups regularly 5 days a week, with an average of 5 customers per group, that's 250 customer hours per week, 1000 customer hours per month.

How much is to live a comfortable life? Eeh, up for debate, but let's set the goal at the US average of $55k/year.

250 hrs/week * 50 weeks (give yourself 2 vacation weeks to stay sane) = 12,500, which would be $4.40 per person per hour, or $22 per person for their weekly session. That seems like a fairly reasonable price to expect people to pay if you're a good DM, you could even justify charging a bit more.

Of course, you'd have to buy a bunch of books, dice, tables and chairs, etc, but those costs aren't astronomical. You'd probably be running it out of your house, unless you had a gaming shop to help offset the cost of the building.

The really tough part is getting a bunch of regular groups. Luckily the nature of a campaign is that people will be regular once they start, but you have to really sell and advertise yourself to get those customers.

Then again, I suppose there's lots of things you can do like free trial week to get people in the door. I think it's doable, it's something I would love to do in my life. But at least for the first couple years you'd have to eat sleep and breathe the business. 50+ hours a week DMing, but more time advertising, doing free sessions, planning games, building a website (an account based website where people could regularly pay online, browse systems and games you offer, see your schedule, upload characters, and possibly even have some portal to see game hangouts) etc.
    The problem is if you want 55k/year in take home the cost to the consumer needs to be higher, unless you're running one of those magical businesses with no overhead. I'm also assuming that nobody is going to pay for pen and paper style play, it's going to be the expensive kind of D&D with minis and maps, maybe a virtual tabletop rig. Personally I think that, some kind of audio set up would be crucial as well. You really need to give people their money's worth, but of course that raises prices. And I'm also factoring in the cost of a rental space since it would probably violate some city ordinance or another to run a business like this out of your home. Plus I'm not sure inviting complete strangers over is a great idea from any angle.

But, I firmly agree that, especially on start up, the biggest issues are going to be outside the actual running of the games and more around building the buzz and the business.
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-06-02 at 07:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    But, I firmly agree that, especially on start up, the biggest issues are going to be outside the actual running of the games and more around building the buzz and the business.
    I believe building the world, the NPCs and the story per se takes way too more than you spend playing. You could recycle the games and DM always the same adventure, but then again... Meh. I'm DMing one game and the planning down time takes a lot of time and effort, so DMing multiple campaigns sounds like hell to me.

It sure would be nice to be able to turn that much effort into money though.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    I believe building the world, the NPCs and the story per se takes way too more than you spend playing. You could recycle the games and DM always the same adventure, but then again... Meh. I'm DMing one game and the planning down time takes a lot of time and effort, so DMing multiple campaigns sounds like hell to me.

It sure would be nice to be able to turn that much effort into money though.
    Keeping multiple campaigns straight would be a (wonderful) nightmare, and certainly being able to experience and practice the same campaign multiple times from slightly different angles would be both fun and allow you to perfect the experience. And of course the more times you run it the more value you get out of that prep-time and those visual aids.

Anyways, OoC Thread is up. IC is under construction, being transferred from my head/setting notes into something pretty and coherent.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

RNGesus guide my hand. Yo-ho privateer time?

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[9]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Heya mate! Still around here? There's some space waiting for you in the crew
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Hello! I'm our GM now, and admittedly I don't check this thread frequently! I believe consensus is that we are looking for one more.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show