Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default The Golden Age of Sail (D&D 3.5)

Some romanticize them as gentlemen of fortune, others brand them as pirates. Nations hire them as privateers and powerful companies pay them under the table as mercenaries. Whatever the specifics, the underlying truths are that they love the sea and their homes float upon her waves.

Hello all, and welcome to my pirate sandbox adventure! I have quite a bit of information that I want to communicate and not much of a coherent layout so forgive me if things feel a bit disjointed. I've grown tired of grand narrative campaigns recently and want to run a game where there are no great chosen one heroes, no dire threats to the multiverse, and no "main plot" to get distracted from on a dozen side quests. The "goal" of this game, if there can be said to be one, would be entirely character driven objectives. Want to become a pirate king? We can do that. Want to take on the [Insert Nation Here] East India Company? We can do that. Want to travel between islands exploring ancient ruins and clashing with your fellow pirates in search of booty on the trade lanes? We can do that too!

Which I suppose brings me around to the setting. Where your average D&D campaign seems to crunch about 500-700 years of technology and societal forms starting around 1000 A.D. into one vaguely European backdrop I plan to crunch about 200 years (1600-1800) of the same into one vaguely Caribbean backdrop. As the title implies the main focus of the campaign would be on naval warfare and exploration during the height of wind powered vessels. Since I'm lazy and have an interest in this part of history I'm mostly going to be dragging and dropping from our world into this one, probably keeping the names too because coming up with fantasy ones that everybody can see right through is rather pointless. You will be in a region of the world where nearly every major geo-political player has a strong interest in controlling territory and trade, and where there are hundreds of islands of various sizes, only dozens of which have been mapped and explored.

This leads me to the fantastical elements of the world. While I'm leaving much of the history unchanged, this is not our world. Magic exists, both divine and arcane, but it exists along side science and for good reason. Arcane magic is dangerous and unpredictable. There are no schools of magic; There is no world wide lexicon of spells. Even the most powerful of practitioners never quite knows what will happen when they fling the raw powers of creation from their finger tips. On the other hand, the feats of divine magic are subtle and take much longer to master, never rising to the heights of arcane power but also not wreaking the havoc that so commonly accompanies that type of magic. As a middle ground between science and magic, artifice is responsible for the vast majority of magical objects in the world.

More details to come. I have a tendency to write setting details as questions are raised so please feel free to ask if you want to know something or to offer a suggestion for incorporation into the world.

Character Creation:

Allowed Content: No ToB, No Dragon Mag, No Incarnum; First party sources only, please cite.

• Race: Everybody is human and players are limited to the real world range of human appearances, however you may take the mechanical features of another race in place of the normal benefits for being human.
    • Backstory: No blank sheets and no novels, please
    • Experience: 1st-3rd level
    • Wealth: 1st level 9000 gp; 2nd level 5400 gp; 3rd level 2700
    • Ability Scores: 4d6b3 seven times dropping the lowest score; if your final modifiers totaled together before racial mods are equal to or less than +4 or your highest score is equal to or less than 15 you may reroll
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max
    • Alignment: Any
    • Up to 2 traits
    • Up to 2 flaws

Mechanical Changes/House Rules:

We will be using the Pathfinder skill list. All other aspects of the skill system remain unchanged.

All characters gain a defense bonus based on their class levels as described here. They must choose between this and wearing armor, they cannot gain the benefits of both simultaneously.

Armor provides no bonus to AC. Instead armor provides both damage conversion and damage reduction. A piece of armor provides damage reduction equal to half of its normal AC bonus (including enhancement bonus if it has one). This DR is X/Armor Piercing (a new quality possessed by many blunt, piercing, or two handed weapons). After DR is applied, any remaining damage, up to the armor's normal AC bonus (including enhancement bonus if it has one), is converted to nonlethal damage. Any damage left over after DR, in excess of the armor's AC value is applied as lethal damage. Shields increase a character's AC as normal.

All arcane magic is wild magic. Anytime a spell is cast the caster must roll percentile dice. If they roll a number that is less than the spell's level x 5, they have incurred a wild magic surge. I have a table for that.

All base classes that cast divine spells use the Bard's spells/day table or their own whichever is more limiting. This does not necessarily make them spontaneous casters and does not effect any other class features.

Critical hits calculate damage differently than RAW. The first set of damage dice (those you would be entitled to on a regular hit) are maxed plus the normal (unmultiplied) modifier, then additional damage dice are rolled as appropriate for the weapon (x2, x3, or x4 crit). Whatever value is generated is then added to produce the damage total. This eliminates the possibility of getting a "crit" that deals less damage than a regular hit could. Ex: William Teach, pirate extraordinaire, attacks with his cutlass (a scimitar) and rolls a 20, he rolls again to confirm and does so successfully. His strength modifier is +3. A scimitar has a damage die of 1d6 and a crit multiplier of x2. So, Teach's first d6 is treated as a 6+3(str mod) for a total of 9. He then rolls his other d6 and adds another 3 for a total damage value of anywhere between 13 and 18.

Critical Failures must be confirmed in the same way as critical hits. That is, if you roll a 1 you automatically miss and must roll again with the same modifiers. If this second roll is also a miss you have fumbled. I have a table for that.

We will be using Reputation as well as Infamy and Disrepute from Skulls and Shackles

I'm sure I've forgotten something or been unclear in at least one place so watch this space for changes:

FAQ:

What gun rules are we using?
    Doh! The Pathfinder ones. "Commonplace guns"

What weapons are armor piercing?
    Pretty much anything that was IRL. Guns and Crossbows in their first range increment. If in doubt ask.

Are LA races allowed?
    Yes, level and starting wealth are based on ECL. Buyoff is allowed too. Aquatic races are allowed at LA +1

Do characters count as human or their mechanical race?
    Both.

What's up with the WBL?
    My thought is that lower level characters would come from higher class backgrounds and have bought their way to the setting where as more worldly and experienced characters would have made their way to it by the sweat of their brows. Also there has to be an incentive to make a lower level character. I figured a lump sum of cash might suffice.

Languages?
    As far as languages go, we will be using real world languages, pretty much exclusively with only a few fantasy ones thrown in. I'm playing with the idea that dragons are not intelligent, or at least not known to be intelligent, so no one speaks draconic and draconic is certainly not Latin. Also I've always despised the idea of "common" as a language, so while English and Spanish will be quite common, there will be no default language that everyone can assume will be applicable in all interactions. I'm also planning to introduce regional pidgins and creoles that will serve as common-esqu languages but much more restricted by region.

Can we pre-craft?
    Yes, but keep it reasonable.

How are we doing religion?
    Real world with the serial numbers filed off. When analysed from an objective view, divine magic appears to come from faith itself rather than divine intercession, but don't try and convince a believer of that.
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-05-16 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Prefix

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Golden Age of Sail (D&D 3.5)

Arcane magic is dangerous and unpredictable. There are no schools of magic; There is no world wide lexicon of spells.
    Does the Spellcraft skill work on arcane magic?

[*]Experience: 1st-3rd level[*]Wealth: 1st level 9000 gp; 2nd level 5400 gp; 3rd level 2700
    That's a curious framework. Can I ask what the intent is?

We will be using the Pathfinder skill list. All other aspects of the skill system remain unchanged.
    So Acrobatics gives a synergy bonus to itself at 5 ranks?

This DR is X/Armor Piercing (a new quality possessed by many blunt, piercing, or two handed weapons).
    Which ones? Also, are you using the Renaissance Firearms rules unchanged? Guns will find it tough to compete with bows that way, even if they're AP and bows aren't.

After DR is applied, any remaining damage, up to the armor's normal AC bonus (including enhancement bonus if it has one), is converted to nonlethal damage. Any damage left over after DR, in excess of the armor's AC value is applied as lethal damage.
    So for a normal attack, full plate negates 8 damage, transforms a further 8 damage to nonlethal damage. Okay. Does an armor piercing attack get 8 of its damage transformed into nonlethal damage, or does it bypass it entirely?

All arcane magic is wild magic. Anytime a spell is cast the caster must roll percentile dice. If they roll a number that is less than the spell's level x 5, they have incurred a wild magic surge. I have a table for that.
    Got any new feats or class features or spells or anything that interacts with that system?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Posting interest. I haven't made a 3.5 character in ages as I have almost exclusively switched to Pathfinder 1.0 since it's release. While contemplating my character, I am sure no chance of using a Pathfinder class or even just the skills?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

You didn't mention psionics, but I'd expect the psi 'casters' to be limited if both arcane and divine are ... ? What about binder or truenamer?

Two questions about races. Would a Small race result in a Small human character? And do nonhuman humans have access to their race's racial paragon class or the one for humans?

Quote Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
    So for a normal attack, full plate negates 8 damage, transforms a further 8 damage to nonlethal damage.
    The negation part is half AC rather than full.

Heavy armor will make swimming problematic. Which leads me to ask, can armor crystals be used in clothing (masterwork clothing, I guess) as if it were armor? I'm a fan of the aquatic action line even in landbound campaigns.

Spoiler: rollin dem (skull and cross)bones
    Show
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-05-13 at 01:57 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Is a poison-based sneaky character an allowed character? I ask because since most poison-users are evil and usually PCs arent evil, etc.

Also, does monsters SLAs also subject to wild magic as do arcane casters?
    Archmage Camus Shatris, the Master Abjurer.
    Ubirajara Snake, the indigean cook snakemaster.

"Savages. All of them!", Archmage Camus.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I knew I shoulda posted a second set of rolls ...

Spoiler: with apologies for the double post
    Show
    Let's try that again, shall we.

(4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[12]

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[16]

(4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling the abilities scores:

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[16]

What about LA? Thinking in making my character be mechanically a duergar. Thematically he would be a cook specialized in poisoning food, drinks and blades while being immune to poisons himself.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[16]

I'm looking at maybe being an ranger, Seahawk animal companion and a trusty Martini-Henry at his side (I know those won't exist yet, only rifle name that sounds decent)
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
    Does the Spellcraft skill work on arcane magic?

That's a curious framework. Can I ask what the intent is?

So Acrobatics gives a synergy bonus to itself at 5 ranks?

Which ones? Also, are you using the Renaissance Firearms rules unchanged? Guns will find it tough to compete with bows that way, even if they're AP and bows aren't.

So for a normal attack, full plate negates 8 damage, transforms a further 8 damage to nonlethal damage. Okay. Does an armor piercing attack get 8 of its damage transformed into nonlethal damage, or does it bypass it entirely?

Got any new feats or class features or spells or anything that interacts with that system?
    Yay, questions!

Yes, spellcraft works for arcane magic and is keyed to a class' spell casting ability. Magic does have a theory and through line but it is interpreted and implemented in wildly different ways between casters.

My thought is that lower level characters would come from higher class backgrounds and have bought their way to the setting where as more worldly and experienced characters would have made their way to it by the sweat of their brows. Also there has to be an incentive to make a lower level character. I figured a lump sum of cash might suffice. And I wanted to leave room for people to play some races with LA.

No, because the 3.5 skill system does not grant any synergy bonuses to or from the Acrobatics skill since the Acrobatics skill doesn't exist normally.

Anything that was used as a battlefield can opener IRL: maces, morning stars, warhammers, flails, halberds, lances, crossbows (in their first range increment). If you feel like your weapon should have the property we can talk about it. Actually I was planning to use Pathfinder's gun rules at the "common place guns" level. Guns are also AP in their first range increment and target touch AC across the same distance, as described in the Pathfinder rules.

Nonmagical full plate would give a DR of 4/Armor Piercing and transform a further 8 damage to nonlethal damage. An armor piercing weapon ignores DR that is /AP but does not bypass damage conversion. I would also point out that nonmagical nonmasterwork full plate imposes a -12 on swim checks, better hope you never fall overboard.

I was thinking there would be a feat to halve the wild magic surge chance and another one chained to it (with a level requirement) to reduce it down to 1% per spell level. I think there might also be a ritual system, some combination of increased casting time, expensive components, and circle magic, to produce more predictable results. Not sure, open to suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by The BBEG View Post
    Posting interest. I haven't made a 3.5 character in ages as I have almost exclusively switched to Pathfinder 1.0 since it's release. While contemplating my character, I am sure no chance of using a Pathfinder class or even just the skills?
    What class did you have in mind? My main issue with Pathfinder is that it seems like every class has ten pages of options to go with even the simplest features.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    You didn't mention psionics, but I'd expect the psi 'casters' to be limited if both arcane and divine are ... ? What about binder or truenamer?

Two questions about races. Would a Small race result in a Small human character? And do nonhuman humans have access to their race's racial paragon class or the one for humans?

Heavy armor will make swimming problematic. Which leads me to ask, can armor crystals be used in clothing (masterwork clothing, I guess) as if it were armor? I'm a fan of the aquatic action line even in landbound campaigns.
    Hmm, I did not think about psionics... I'll allow them and leave their mechanics unchanged, however they are highly illegal and 99.9% of people from the lowest peasant to the highest monarch will believe that you consort with demons and can warp a mans mind with a stray glance. If discovered you are unlikely to make it to trial... Or maybe I'll come up with something better... Never worked much with binders or truenamers (although I know the latter by its poor reputation), if you can deal with a bumbling DM who will be asking all manner of questions, and can make a compelling character I'll allow them, and have to think about whether they need meddling.

Yes, small races make small humans. Gnomes and Halflings are pygmies. Nonhuman humans have access to both racial paragon classes, with the usual restriction that you can only have levels in one racial paragon class (and with the exception of Half-Orcs and Half-Elves as written).

Sure, if you spend 300 gp on an outfit it becomes masterwork and can accept least armor crystals. If you enchant it as armor treat it as AC bonus +0, ACP 0, ASF 0%, Max Dex -, No speed restriction, weight 5 lbs. and follows all normal rules for magic armor. Gotta have some reason to wear all those fancy silks

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Is a poison-based sneaky character an allowed character? I ask because since most poison-users are evil and usually PCs arent evil, etc.

Also, does monsters SLAs also subject to wild magic as do arcane casters?
    Sounds fun to me. I'm playing fast and loose with alignment. The party, and their crew, can be anything for LG to CE and still be "pirates" it just matters how you do it. LG "pirates" would be dashing privateers out for queen and country, honor and glory, doing everything to live by the laws of the waves and behave in a manner where they can hold their heads high. Whereas CE pirates would be cruel, cold-blooded murders plundering the high seas.

Monster magic is different and operates on different rules than human magic. Think fairies vs human wizards from the Dresden Files if that reference makes any sense to you. In short, no, a monster's SLAs or even spells are not wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    What about LA? Thinking in making my character be mechanically a duergar. Thematically he would be a cook specialized in poisoning food, drinks and blades while being immune to poisons himself.
    LA races (up to +2) are allowed as is buyoff. You would treat your character as its ECL to determine starting wealth and level options. Related but unrelated, Aquatic races are allowed but they have a +1 LA

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    I'm looking at maybe being an ranger, Seahawk animal companion and a trusty Martini-Henry at his side (I know those won't exist yet, only rifle name that sounds decent)
    Sure, sounds good to me.
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-05-13 at 04:53 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    Never worked much with binders or truenamers (although I know the later by its poor reputation), if you can deal with a bumbling DM who will be asking all manner of questions, and can make a compelling character I'll allow them, and have to think about whether they need meddling.
    Since making my post, I've pretty much settled on Binder, because it'd make a great voodoo priest A fine addition to any Caribbean pirate team!

Spoiler: binder basics
    Show
    A low-level binder does a brief ritual once per day that locks in one set of special powers for the day. It's not until 8th level that they can get two sets at once. In terms of flavor, it's somewhere between cleric and warlock. Some powers are passive; the active ones are supernatural abilities that can be used as often as you like, though combat-oriented powers generally have a 5-round "cooldown". Binders have medium BAB, good Fort and Will, few skill points but a good class skill list, and proficiency in simple weapons and light armor. They should probably get Defense Bonus column B like the rogue.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Yay, questions!
    What class did you have in mind? My main issue with Pathfinder is that it seems like every class has ten pages of options to go with even the simplest features.
    I understand. Either rogue, ranger, or fighter. Nothing outlandish or broken. If it's not kosher I understand.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Since making my post, I've pretty much settled on Binder, because it'd make a great voodoo priest A fine addition to any Caribbean pirate team!

Spoiler: binder basics
    Show
    A low-level binder does a brief ritual once per day that locks in one set of special powers for the day. It's not until 8th level that they can get two sets at once. In terms of flavor, it's somewhere between cleric and warlock. Some powers are passive; the active ones are supernatural abilities that can be used as often as you like, though combat-oriented powers generally have a 5-round "cooldown". Binders have medium BAB, good Fort and Will, few skill points but a good class skill list, and proficiency in simple weapons and light armor. They should probably get Defense Bonus column B like the rogue.
    I'm on board. Do you intend to play the vestiges as written or with a reskinning to fall more in line with true voodoo?

Also a little of column B it is.

Quote Originally Posted by The BBEG View Post
    I understand. Either rogue, ranger, or fighter. Nothing outlandish or broken. If it's not kosher I understand.
    Any of those would be fine with me. The 3.5 versions are admittedly lack luster, even in a setting which is attempting to curb some of the linear fighter, quadratic wizard problems.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Are you open to new interest?
    What about warlock? They use monster's SLAs, and they do have pacts with powerful beings.
    What is their role in this world?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Almostdead View Post
    Are you open to new interest?
    What about warlock? They use monster's SLAs, and they do have pacts with powerful beings.
    What is their role in this world?
    Yep!
    Warlocks tap into "monster style" magic via either pacts or bloodlines.
    It's another path to power one that's more stable if less flashy or flexible.

Magic is something that the average person is aware of but it's also quite rare. Most people have probably never seen a divine spell cast and certainly not an arcane one. There are people who believe that spells are probably flights of fancy, even if they have seen someone use an SLA or Supernatural ability. Kings and powerful nobles might have a court magician, but they call upon them sparingly. The average village priest is certainly incapable of casting spells. A bishop might be a cleric/favored soul and only once you start getting into the ranks of the cardinals would you have any chance of seeing "high level" miracles.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you intend to play the vestiges as written or with a reskinning to fall more in line with true voodoo?
    Reskinning would be nice. I've learned a smidgen about loa for past games; it'd be good to put that to use again. I should say, though, that for an adventure game I'm not going to cleave real close to actual-factual Voudun. Something closer to the movie version (without the ritual human sacrifice and zombie obsession).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Reskinning would be nice. I've learned a smidgen about loa for past games; it'd be good to put that to use again. I should say, though, that for an adventure game I'm not going to cleave real close to actual-factual Voudun. Something closer to the movie version (without the ritual human sacrifice and zombie obsession).
    Fair enough.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Yep!
    Warlocks tap into "monster style" magic via either pacts or bloodlines.
    It's another path to power one that's more stable if less flashy or flexible.

Magic is something that the average person is aware of but it's also quite rare. Most people have probably never seen a divine spell cast and certainly not an arcane one. There are people who believe that spells are probably flights of fancy, even if they have seen someone use an SLA or Supernatural ability. Kings and powerful nobles might have a court magician, but they call upon them sparingly. The average village priest is certainly incapable of casting spells. A bishop might be a cleric/favored soul and only once you start getting into the ranks of the cardinals would you have any chance of seeing "high level" miracles.
    Very interesting. Times do change. I'm in!

Spoiler: Rolling Scores
    Show

(4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[13]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Do special materials exist? Adamantium, darkwood, earthsilk, dragonhide, dragonbone ... lotsa stuff not found in our world.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Do special materials exist? Adamantium, darkwood, earthsilk, dragonhide, dragonbone ... lotsa stuff not found in our world.
    For the most part, especially the "common" special materials, yes.

Fantastical creatures do exist but not in particularly large numbers and not all of them. Any animal products have their prices doubled. There is a trade in captured creatures both mundane and magical just like there was during the age of discovery in our world. Hoaxes are not unheard of. Dragons and Krakens are common enough threats that sailors carry methods of dealing with such creatures, but most people who tell stories about the time they saw one in the pub get called liars. In the "you did not" sense not the "there's no such thing" sense.

Fantastical raw materials also exist and in standard to above standard abundance. In addition to mundane trade (tea, spices, sugar, precious metals/stones etc.) the region deals in large quantities of quasimagical woods (bronzewood, darkwood, soarwood, etc.) and metals (adamantium, cold iron, mithril, etc.).

Fantastical manufactured goods, such as dwarf craft items or any of the various silks, can be had if an artisan can be found to do the work. Most such individuals are outside the main scope of the setting but their products can be acquired at the usual prices.

If you've got a weird one that doesn't seem to fit any of the above I'll address it specifically.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm thinking of building a huge (goliath) shipwright/skill monkey. I have not nailed down a class yet but ill think of something!

Spoiler: Rolling for stuff!
    Show

(4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sadpanda01 View Post
    I'm thinking of building a huge (goliath) shipwright/skill monkey. I have not nailed down a class yet but ill think of something!
    Sounds good to me. You can even launch yourself between masts or ships if the mood strikes you

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I might have some character concepts that would fit in here, but some of them don't really start to do their defining thing until quite high levels. How many levels do you see the game lasting for? (or at least hope it lasts )

When rolling for stats, we roll once, right? Not seven sets of stats?

Specifics concerning my concepts
    Many of my concepts use one or more ACF:s. A common one for fighters is the hit and run tactics ACF from Drow of the Underdark. Would you be okay with that?

One concept uses the half-orc racial paragon class from the SRD (UA content). Would that be okay?

One concept uses the scout's riposte ACF from the Cityscape WE and combines it with the Swift Ambusher feat to stack +d6 damage dice from riposte and sneak attack. Would that fit?

How do you feel about races like lesser tiefling and lesser aasimar - too strong?

Are prestige classes available and if so, are there any predefined limits as to which ones?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ooh, you know what would be cool? A beastmaster PRC type, picking up a crew of beasts from across the world. Jungles and Oceans alike. I think Iíll be running with this now.

Poe backstory probably an Anglo Metis now passed through a tour of service in the Royal Navy and looking for a more independent way to go through operations.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Interested, not sure as what yet.

(4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

human ranger substitution levels

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, thanks!

I'm thinking in either a druid, a rogue or spellthief.

My character would be a duergar mechanically and the theme would be a member of a tribe in a coastal isle of Brazil know as Snake Island (Ilha da Queimada Grande, an island that is full of poisonous snakes - IRL the land isnt populated and the army make a block to avoid anyone to get closer to it as it is said to be one of the most dangerous islands on Earth).

He lived there in harmony and eventually a group of pirates were forced to land in the isle due a heavy storm on their way from Europe to the Caribean.

My character then helped them to avoid dying from the snakes and helped healing the captain after he was bitten.

He was then invited to join in and since he never saw the world outside his island and so he decided to join in as the ship's cook, taking with him his pet snake.

EDIT: just to add a bit more info about this island: it have 5 snakes per square meter. This IRL. If you think it is too far from where you want the game to happen, maybe we can move it north from the actual world map and closer to the Caribean.

EDIT2: What about the Languages? Will they be the real world ones? Like Draconic is Latim, Common being English/Spanish?
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-05-14 at 11:54 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I was going to ask about languages too. I'm looking at a race that starts with Sylvan, plus a class with Linguistics as a class skill ... (I presume, because binders have Decipher Script.) Other questions --
    1. If we have ranks in a Craft, can we save money on starting equipment?
    2. Does DR from armor stack with DR from other sources like barbarian levels?
    3. How much do the players need to know about ships and sailing?
    4. Is there slavery in the gameworld? If so, is it mostly race-based?
    5. Are we using (can we use! please!) the Reputation rules?
    6. Are there any influential intercontinental religions? I'll probably pick up a nice showy holy symbol or two, if so ...
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-05-14 at 01:00 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Rolling dem bones. Might go caster for this.

Edit: Rerolling in the next post, please.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-05-14 at 01:11 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

(4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[10]

Okay, rolling bones two: This time, it's personal.

Edit: I... Okay, one more roll. If this third roll sucks, I'll take it as a sign I'm not meant to play here.

Edit II: I made a new thread for dice rolls to avoid spamming this one. It apparently gave me luck. Will think on a concept.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-05-14 at 01:15 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Rolling. Survey says?

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]

30. - Top - End - #30

I am a dumb, and didn't read the seven rolls bit.

Final stats are:

Well-rounded. Pretty good.

Edit: Leaning towards being a Psion or a Dragonfire Adept. (DFAs are in Dragon Magic (which is a book, not from Dragon Magazine) starting on page 24.)

Edit II: Leaning hard towards Psion. Let's be illegal!
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-05-14 at 01:34 PM.

Show
    Show

Show