Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The Golden Age of Sail (D&D 3.5)

Re-roll:

(4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[13]

So can we expect any major power from 1600-1800 with a decent navy around? So no prussia or austria but netherlands and maybe sweden (besides the obvious britain, france, spain and portugal).
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

human ranger substitution levels

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    An exiled from his tribe, he was sent to die at the island of Queimada Grande, also known as Snakes' Island for using poison to kill a rival (his beloved one chose the rival to marry instead of him), so he made them some poisoned food whch were meant to kill him, not her. The tribe shaman found out after and so banished him.

He survived there by living as one with the snakes and stayed alone for a few years, where he trained as a hunter and druid. After many years he eventually developed immunity to poison by constantly poisoning his own food with a minimum ammount of snake poison to slowly gain resistance (and later plain immunity). These poisons also gave hallucinations which he took as visions of the future.

He lived there and tamed a pet (medium sized) snake he called Eçaiara, which was hurt and abandoned when he first met her. They grew up to be close friends and she became his animal companion

One day a pirate ship landed on his island due a powerful storm. Their captain, Alejandro Almanzar, was then bitten by a snake and was suffering from the poison on fever. Seeing the man dying, Ubirajara decided to save him as a way to redeem himself for killing two fellow tribe members in the past. At first the crew saw him as a savage and were affraid he was going to do anything to their captain, but through body language and soothing words (although they didnt understand what he said), he was allowed to help the captain who eventually fully restored a few days after.

Thankful for his healing skill, the captain invited him to join his pirate and soon he became the ship's cook and poisonmaster.

This is what I got for my character. My rolls werent the best ones nor were poor enough for a reroll, so his first levels may be a little weak (but doable, I believe). He's mostly a skill user character who will fight over distance using poisoned arrows and poisoning his allies weapons. I beleive he's more thematic than a powerful character, but he seemed an interesting fellow to play with (instead of the god wizards I usually do).

His Psi-Like Abilities (from Psionic Duergar) are to him fruits of his spiritual retirement in Snake's Island and the mystic blood of his indigean tribe.

Now a few questions:
    - Drows of the Underdark have rules from teaching a vermin trick to deliver their poison to their trainer. Can something like that be used to harvest poison from his pet snake?
    - Hidden Talent feat is sometimes banned from the table, so I ask if it's okay. He would pick Minor Creation to help him create plant-based poisons;
    - Is Knowledge Nature enough for him to eventually find and harvest poisonous plants during landbound travels? He got 1 rank in Profession (Herbalist) as well and thinking in investing some skills in Search as well;
    - Eçaiara, his pet snake, was trained by him through Handle Animal. Can he choose which feats she'll take after 3rd HD and on?
    - There is a Psionic feat in Psionics Handbook (which I believe is 3.0) that I would like to take: Inertial Armor. It grants a +4 armor bonus to AC that apply to touch attacks. The reasoning would be because his AC is goin gto be very poor otherwise.
    - Can he have crafted poisons previously to the game? Thinking on plant-based and those he could extract from snakes in his island.
    - Insightful Strike is an Exalted feat from BoED, which allow you to use Wisdom for attack rolls with simple weapons. Can he ignore the "being Good" to get it? Being good and poison-based seems strange.

On the long run, the idea is to have him use debuffs/support spells on his enemies/allies (from Druid list), use his snake companion as both a flanker and a poison source and focusing on ranged attacks until he's able to Wild Shape into some big animal to help on melee. His final build would be something like Rogue / Druid and either Animallord (Snakelord) or Daggerspell Shaper.

For the crew, he would help by being a healer and the cook, as well as a tracker eventually (thanks to Track and Survival skills).
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-05-14 at 03:23 PM.
    Archmage Camus Shatris, the Master Abjurer.
    Ubirajara Snake, the indigean cook snakemaster.

"Savages. All of them!", Archmage Camus.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Heya! A Pirates game! That is so cool! :D If there's still some space for me, I'd like to apply I'm thinking about a Dragonfire Adept, maybe copycating one of the dragon species that can breathe water!
    EDIT: on second thought, here's one that's better. How about a mechanical Gnome, feeling close to the pranksterous Copper Dragons? Forced to the see away from the mountains these dragons love, but then my dude would be the larger-than-life, bombastic pirate, good at heart but full of swagger and full of stories.

Alright, let's get some rolls:
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[7]

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Since making my post, I've pretty much settled on Binder, because it'd make a great voodoo priest A fine addition to any Caribbean pirate team!
    Hey Dimers! There's actually a super obscure Voodan base class, from Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends, which is an add-on to Ravenloft and as such first party. It's maybe not what you're looking for mechanically speaking, but the class is a mix of Cleric and Wizard casting using fetishes and stuff, it's very thematic
    Last edited by remetagross; 2019-05-14 at 05:40 PM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

lets see what the dice god rng says

(4d6b3)[11] +0
    (4d6b3)[16] +3
    (4d6b3)[10] +0
    (4d6b3)[16] +3
    (4d6b3)[12] +1
    (4d6b3)[9] -1 = drop this roll
    (4d6b3)[16] +3
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-14 at 06:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

First of all, my apologies to everyone, I'm recovering from a long period of injury and at the same time trying to switch to overnight work, so my posting schedule is almost guarenteed to be at least slightly erratic, but let's get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    I might have some character concepts that would fit in here, but some of them don't really start to do their defining thing until quite high levels. How many levels do you see the game lasting for? (or at least hope it lasts )

When rolling for stats, we roll once, right? Not seven sets of stats?

Specifics concerning my concepts
    Many of my concepts use one or more ACF:s. A common one for fighters is the hit and run tactics ACF from Drow of the Underdark. Would you be okay with that?

One concept uses the half-orc racial paragon class from the SRD (UA content). Would that be okay?

One concept uses the scout's riposte ACF from the Cityscape WE and combines it with the Swift Ambusher feat to stack +d6 damage dice from riposte and sneak attack. Would that fit?

How do you feel about races like lesser tiefling and lesser aasimar - too strong?

Are prestige classes available and if so, are there any predefined limits as to which ones?
    I hope the game lasts as long a people find the setting interesting and have things they want to do in it. So indefinitely, but knowing PbP that is obviously rather unlikely. XP will be encounter based with additional bonuses for exploration, interaction, as well as defining and completing personal story goals as discussed with me. Splitting the party is more easily done on a PbP game so having characters of various levels and interests is less of a problem and having a large crew gives characters a narrative place to fade into or emerge out of without breaking immersion. Oh, umm it appears I have rambled. *ahem* Epic and beyond are not necessarily outside the scope of our story should we find people motivated enough to get there.

Roll a single set of seven scores, rerolling if you meet the criteria. Although JNA certainly tried to roll seven sets

ACFs and Paragon classes are fine, just cite.

Lesser Planetouched are fine.

I didn't have any restrictions in mind when it comes to PrC, but I would prefer nobody try to break the game

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Ooh, you know what would be cool? A beastmaster PRC type, picking up a crew of beasts from across the world. Jungles and Oceans alike. I think I’ll be running with this now.

Poe backstory probably an Anglo Metis now passed through a tour of service in the Royal Navy and looking for a more independent way to go through operations.
    Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Alright, thanks!

I'm thinking in either a druid, a rogue or spellthief.

My character would be a duergar mechanically and the theme would be a member of a tribe in a coastal isle of Brazil know as Snake Island (Ilha da Queimada Grande, an island that is full of poisonous snakes - IRL the land isnt populated and the army make a block to avoid anyone to get closer to it as it is said to be one of the most dangerous islands on Earth).

He lived there in harmony and eventually a group of pirates were forced to land in the isle due a heavy storm on their way from Europe to the Caribean.

My character then helped them to avoid dying from the snakes and helped healing the captain after he was bitten.

He was then invited to join in and since he never saw the world outside his island and so he decided to join in as the ship's cook, taking with him his pet snake.

EDIT: just to add a bit more info about this island: it have 5 snakes per square meter. This IRL. If you think it is too far from where you want the game to happen, maybe we can move it north from the actual world map and closer to the Caribean.

EDIT2: What about the Languages? Will they be the real world ones? Like Draconic is Latim, Common being English/Spanish?
    Spoiler: Chimera's Character
    Show

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    An exiled from his tribe, he was sent to die at the island of Queimada Grande, also known as Snakes' Island for using poison to kill a rival (his beloved one chose the rival to marry instead of him), so he made them some poisoned food whch were meant to kill him, not her. The tribe shaman found out after and so banished him.

He survived there by living as one with the snakes and stayed alone for a few years, where he trained as a hunter and druid. After many years he eventually developed immunity to poison by constantly poisoning his own food with a minimum ammount of snake poison to slowly gain resistance (and later plain immunity). These poisons also gave hallucinations which he took as visions of the future.

He lived there and tamed a pet (medium sized) snake he called Eçaiara, which was hurt and abandoned when he first met her. They grew up to be close friends and she became his animal companion

One day a pirate ship landed on his island due a powerful storm. Their captain, Alejandro Almanzar, was then bitten by a snake and was suffering from the poison on fever. Seeing the man dying, Ubirajara decided to save him as a way to redeem himself for killing two fellow tribe members in the past. At first the crew saw him as a savage and were affraid he was going to do anything to their captain, but through body language and soothing words (although they didnt understand what he said), he was allowed to help the captain who eventually fully restored a few days after.

Thankful for his healing skill, the captain invited him to join his pirate and soon he became the ship's cook and poisonmaster.

This is what I got for my character. My rolls werent the best ones nor were poor enough for a reroll, so his first levels may be a little weak (but doable, I believe). He's mostly a skill user character who will fight over distance using poisoned arrows and poisoning his allies weapons. I beleive he's more thematic than a powerful character, but he seemed an interesting fellow to play with (instead of the god wizards I usually do).

His Psi-Like Abilities (from Psionic Duergar) are to him fruits of his spiritual retirement in Snake's Island and the mystic blood of his indigean tribe.

Now a few questions:
    - Drows of the Underdark have rules from teaching a vermin trick to deliver their poison to their trainer. Can something like that be used to harvest poison from his pet snake?
    - Hidden Talent feat is sometimes banned from the table, so I ask if it's okay. He would pick Minor Creation to help him create plant-based poisons;
    - Is Knowledge Nature enough for him to eventually find and harvest poisonous plants during landbound travels? He got 1 rank in Profession (Herbalist) as well and thinking in investing some skills in Search as well;
    - Eçaiara, his pet snake, was trained by him through Handle Animal. Can he choose which feats she'll take after 3rd HD and on?
    - There is a Psionic feat in Psionics Handbook (which I believe is 3.0) that I would like to take: Inertial Armor. It grants a +4 armor bonus to AC that apply to touch attacks. The reasoning would be because his AC is goin gto be very poor otherwise.
    - Can he have crafted poisons previously to the game? Thinking on plant-based and those he could extract from snakes in his island.
    - Insightful Strike is an Exalted feat from BoED, which allow you to use Wisdom for attack rolls with simple weapons. Can he ignore the "being Good" to get it? Being good and poison-based seems strange.

On the long run, the idea is to have him use debuffs/support spells on his enemies/allies (from Druid list), use his snake companion as both a flanker and a poison source and focusing on ranged attacks until he's able to Wild Shape into some big animal to help on melee. His final build would be something like Rogue / Druid and either Animallord (Snakelord) or Daggerspell Shaper.

For the crew, he would help by being a healer and the cook, as well as a tracker eventually (thanks to Track and Survival skills).
    I like the character and his point of origin. I have no issues with characters coming from any part of the world, but we may need to get you away from your starting crew and give you some more defined objective than traveling with them once we have a proper party selected. I intend to take some time between character selection and campaign start to blend backstories and motivations.

As far as languages go, we will be using real world languages, pretty much exclusively with only a few fantasy ones thrown in. I'm playing with the idea that dragons are not intelligent, or at least not known to be intelligent, so no one speaks draconic and draconic is certainly not Latin. Also I've always despised the idea of "common" as a language, so while English and Spanish will be quite common, there will be no default language that everyone can assume will be applicable in all interactions. I'm also planning to introduce regional pidgins and creoles that will serve as common-esqu languages but much more restricted by region.

Drow trick is fine, but I'm definitely thinking we need to agree on a limit, maybe dose 1/week.
    Hidden Talent is approved, but if anybody ever discovers your abilities are psionic rather than magical....
    Yes, knowledge nature would allow you to locate and harvest poisonous plants. I'll have to work up some DCs and time tables.
    Sure, with my approval.
    Inertial Armor is approved, and works as written. I would point out that in this game you'll want to make use of cover and superior cover whenever you can. The best option would be to break line of sight. Boarding actions are remarkably dangerous.
    You can start with a few doses of poison. My main question would be how was Ubirajara storing these poisons to maintain their potency while he was in exile?
    Insightful Strike is in.

Oh fractional bonuses! Otherwise the character looks good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I was going to ask about languages too. I'm looking at a race that starts with Sylvan, plus a class with Linguistics as a class skill ... (I presume, because binders have Decipher Script.) Other questions --
    1. If we have ranks in a Craft, can we save money on starting equipment?
    2. Does DR from armor stack with DR from other sources like barbarian levels?
    3. How much do the players need to know about ships and sailing?
    4. Is there slavery in the gameworld? If so, is it mostly race-based?
    5. Are we using (can we use! please!) the Reputation rules?
    6. Are there any influential intercontinental religions? I'll probably pick up a nice showy holy symbol or two, if so ...
    See above and added to the FAQ. Sylvan seems one fantasy language that I would like to keep, speak to plants and animals kind of thing.
    -Pre-crafting is allowed, just don't abuse it.
    -DR stacks as per RAW (meaning that it doesn't it just overlaps), with the exception that DR /- stacks with everything.
    -Player knowledge is difficult. We're not going to be breaking out digital sextants and octants for navigation but you should probably google what those are and how they work. I might use vocabulary that is strange but google is your friend. You should probably know that a sailing vessel needs wind and cannot sail directly into it, but you don't actually have to be a salty sea dog to play.
    -Yes, slavery is common but I'd rather not feature it prominently in the campaign. I'd ask the party not to attempt to be slavers nor abolitionists. There are period appropriate tensions and you might come upon an island that is in revolt but I don't intend for it to be one of the central pillars of the narrative.
    -I was planning to go with Skulls & Shackles Infamy/Disrepute system but it looks like Reputation fits just fine too, so why not!
    -The Church (not saying which. filing off the serial numbers on this one), is not as powerful as it has been in ages past but that's not to say it isn't still a major geopolitical player. Cults of animism and shamanism are common among islanders, but they don't have complex systems of iconography that they share.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I am a dumb, and didn't read the seven rolls bit.

Final stats are:

Well-rounded. Pretty good.

Edit: Leaning towards being a Psion or a Dragonfire Adept. (DFAs are in Dragon Magic (which is a book, not from Dragon Magazine) starting on page 24.)

Edit II: Leaning hard towards Psion. Let's be illegal!
    Let's see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    So can we expect any major power from 1600-1800 with a decent navy around? So no prussia or austria but netherlands and maybe sweden (besides the obvious britain, france, spain and portugal).
    Yep, anybody who had a substantial navy is operating in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Heya! A Pirates game! That is so cool! :D If there's still some space for me, I'd like to apply I'm thinking about a Dragonfire Adept, maybe copycating one of the dragon species that can breathe water!
    EDIT: on second thought, here's one that's better. How about a mechanical Gnome, feeling close to the pranksterous Copper Dragons? Forced to the see away from the mountains these dragons love, but then my dude would be the larger-than-life, bombastic pirate, good at heart but full of swagger and full of stories.
    Dragons are not a huge part of the world, and European based dragons are believed to have been hunted to extinction centuries ago, but maybe your character was raised on those kinds of stories and set out to find those creatures in the new world?
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-05-14 at 07:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Water and armor, I'm in....

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[12]

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[13]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Hey Dimers! There's actually a super obscure Voodan base class, from Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends, which is an add-on to Ravenloft and as such first party.
    Heya! Hmm, doesn't look like something I have access to, even in friends' collections. I don't suppose you have a link?

(It'll probably turn out not to have enough skill points for my taste, anyway. I already reworked half the build so far to make his first level Rogue instead of Binder. Gotta get them tasty skill points.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    Yes, slavery is common but I'd rather not feature it prominently in the campaign.
    I figured that might be the case. It's hard to approach moral problems in a game without pushing someone's buttons. Also true for murder, mind you, but far more players are okay with that in a game.

I was planning to go with Skulls & Shackles Infamy/Disrepute system but it looks like Reputation fits just fine too, so why not!
    I'm going all-in, then. Gonna take the feat and the trait both.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

well i am considering
    maybe a two weapon fighter considering
    What gun rules are we using?
    Doh! The Pathfinder ones. "Commonplace guns"
    EDIT
    Lei Korosuga - WIP
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-14 at 09:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I like the character and his point of origin. I have no issues with characters coming from any part of the world, but we may need to get you away from your starting crew and give you some more defined objective than traveling with them once we have a proper party selected. I intend to take some time between character selection and campaign start to blend backstories and motivations.
    I'm thinking something like some crew member eventually grew discontent with Captain Alejandro and betrayed thim, causing a mutiny. Ubirajara was among the ones who were loyal to his good friend and captain, so he tried to help him escape but since that failed. He joined the winning side and saw to his captain's death.

After the sucessful mutiny, Ubirajara poisoned the feast (which killing many of the traitors, but not all) and fled when the panic from mass poisoning started. From now on he lives by traveling the seas and looking for the survivors from the muttiny to dispatch every last one of them while also being hunt by them.

Too dark?

EDIT: Maybe they know Ubirajara know where their treasure is and plan to kill him to avoid anyone knowing their secret, while Ubirajara plans on taking the treasure for himself. In this alternative, Captain Alejandro used the storm for cover to land in such dangerous place to make sure his treasure would not be taken away by anyone. The crew can either plan to take me alive (so I can guide them to the exact spot) or dead (loose lips sink ships, after all).

As far as languages go, we will be using real world languages, pretty much exclusively with only a few fantasy ones thrown in. I'm playing with the idea that dragons are not intelligent, or at least not known to be intelligent, so no one speaks draconic and draconic is certainly not Latin. Also I've always despised the idea of "common" as a language, so while English and Spanish will be quite common, there will be no default language that everyone can assume will be applicable in all interactions. I'm also planning to introduce regional pidgins and creoles that will serve as common-esqu languages but much more restricted by region.
    Interesting idea. But how do we do with starting languages then? A duergar start with Common, Dwarven and Undercommon, so I pick three languages? If yes I'll pick as his tongues Spanish, Tupi and Portuguese (plus English from high Intelligence). He'll also know Druidic.

Drow trick is fine, but I'm definitely thinking we need to agree on a limit, maybe dose 1/week.
    Thanks! One dose a week sounds fine! How many doses can he start with?

Hidden Talent is approved, but if anybody ever discovers your abilities are psionic rather than magical....
    As fun as it is, Ubirajara believe his psionic powers to be the manifestation of ancient spirits, and not his doing. He got no Knowledge (Psionics) after all and is from a relative primitive society and so he wll probably explain things by the use of legends and spirits.

Yes, knowledge nature would allow you to locate and harvest poisonous plants. I'll have to work up some DCs and time tables.
    Yay. Thanks! Not every walk in the woods need to be me tripping on rare poisonous plants.

Sure, with my approval.
    Thanks. Dont worry there will be no Martial Study snake companion
    Was thinking more on those poison feats like Deadly Poison and Spit Poison. Ability Focus. Etc.

Inertial Armor is approved, and works as written. I would point out that in this game you'll want to make use of cover and superior cover whenever you can. The best option would be to break line of sight. Boarding actions are remarkably dangerous.
    I'll keep that in mind!

You can start with a few doses of poison. My main question would be how was Ubirajara storing these poisons to maintain their potency while he was in exile?
    Maybe he kept them in clay mugs he made himself? He's a survivalist after all. If need he can spare a few ranks in Craft (Sculpting) as he probably needed some way to stock water while living in the exile. After he became a crew member he could acess glass vials I believe.

Insightful Strike is in.
    Thanks! Without it his melee would be really bad for all game long.

Oh fractional bonuses! Otherwise the character looks good to me!
    And yes. Forgot to ask that but glad it's fractional.

EDIT: also just wondering: does we get any advantage for being all human, like the bonus to skill points?

And lastly: is okay to pick Favored Enemy (Human)?
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-05-14 at 09:42 PM.
    Archmage Camus Shatris, the Master Abjurer.
    Ubirajara Snake, the indigean cook snakemaster.

"Savages. All of them!", Archmage Camus.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

Interested in some sort of bounty hunter, but we'll see what the dice gods have to say...

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    Many thanks to Derjuin for my awesome alhoon avatar!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm thinking something like some crew member eventually grew discontent with Captain Alejandro and betrayed him, causing a mutiny. Ubirajara was among the ones who were loyal to his good friend and captain, so he tried to help him escape but since that failed. He joined the winning side and saw to his captain's death.

After the successful mutiny, Ubirajara poisoned the feast (which killing many of the traitors, but not all) and fled when the panic from mass poisoning started. From now on he lives by traveling the seas and looking for the survivors from the mutiny to dispatch every last one of them while also being hunt by them.

Too dark?

EDIT: Maybe they know Ubirajara know where their treasure is and plan to kill him to avoid anyone knowing their secret, while Ubirajara plans on taking the treasure for himself. In this alternative, Captain Alejandro used the storm for cover to land in such dangerous place to make sure his treasure would not be taken away by anyone. The crew can either plan to take me alive (so I can guide them to the exact spot) or dead (loose lips sink ships, after all).
    Sounds properly piratical to me!

Interesting idea. But how do we do with starting languages then? A duergar start with Common, Dwarven and Undercommon, so I pick three languages? If yes I'll pick as his tongues Spanish, Tupi and Portuguese (plus English from high Intelligence). He'll also know Druidic.
    Yes, pick as many languages as you would normally start with. If you know one or more languages that make up a pidgin then you can understand and communicate simple ideas in that pidgin, but anything more complex than "chicken cost?" or "where tavern?" have a good chance of getting garbled.

Thanks! One dose a week sounds fine! How many doses can he start with?

Maybe he kept them in clay mugs he made himself? He's a survivalist after all. If need he can spare a few ranks in Craft (Sculpting) as he probably needed some way to stock water while living in the exile. After he became a crew member he could access glass vials I believe.
    Let's say five. Not necessary, and yes once he's off his island the concern goes away.

As fun as it is, Ubirajara believe his psionic powers to be the manifestation of ancient spirits, and not his doing. He got no Knowledge (Psionics) after all and is from a relative primitive society and so he wll probably explain things by the use of legends and spirits.
    Makes sense. And most people will be in his same boat even if they have different cultural defaults. Only someone skilled with magic and suspicious would be able to identify that what Ubirajara is doing is not proper mortal magic, but even then it would take someone more specialized to identify it as psionics.

Thanks. Dont worry there will be no Martial Study snake companion
    Was thinking more on those poison feats like Deadly Poison and Spit Poison. Ability Focus. Etc.
    Precisely my concern
    Those kind of feats are fine of course.

Also just wondering: does we get any advantage for being all human, like the bonus to skill points?
    I hadn't really planned on any bonus for being a Human Human, beyond the normal bonus feat and skill points... Maybe a bonus to experience gain... I'll think about it.

And lastly: is okay to pick Favored Enemy (Human)?
    You're going to have to narrow that in some way, by place of origin or affiliation, e.g. Favored Enemy (British) or Favored Enemy (Pirate).

12. - Top - End - #42

Hmmm...

On second and third thought, I actually have two different ideas.

How reliable are magic items? If I have an arcane wand, scroll, or potion, would it trigger wild magic upon each use? Might play an Artificer that focuses a lot on consumables.

OR

A very, very large brute.
    Many thanks to Derjuin for my awesome alhoon avatar!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I just finished with Eldon Sommer. He is a very persuasive warlock.

Please let me know if there is any problem.
    I am not a native, so my English is quite far from perfect. Sorry about that.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psilulz View Post
    Hmmm...

On second and third thought, I actually have two different ideas.

How reliable are magic items? If I have an arcane wand, scroll, or potion, would it trigger wild magic upon each use? Might play an Artificer that focuses a lot on consumables.

OR

A very, very large brute.
    Spell completion items, spell trigger items, and command word items that recreate the effects of a spell, all have the potential to trigger a wild magic surge. Use activated items and command word items that generate effects other than spell effects cannot trigger wild magic surges. So arcane wands and scrolls could produce wild magic but potions and flaming swords would not.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Almostdead View Post
    I just finished with Eldon Sommer. He is a very persuasive warlock.

Please let me know if there is any problem.
    I am not a native, so my English is quite far from perfect. Sorry about that.
    I don't have a problem with a social skill focused character, however; Diplomancy is a heavily frowned upon school of magic. Use it wisely.

Not sure what that Misc bonus to your AC is?
    You seem to have a few extra skill points.
    Don't forget to note your racial swim bonus.

Would you be against reworking your patron into some kind of Saint or Angel? I'm trying to stick closer to real world religions with the serial numbers filed off, since without that a lot of history starts to do wonky things.
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-05-15 at 01:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I hope the game lasts as long a people find the setting interesting and have things they want to do in it. So indefinitely, but knowing PbP that is obviously rather unlikely. XP will be encounter based with additional bonuses for exploration, interaction, as well as defining and completing personal story goals as discussed with me. Splitting the party is more easily done on a PbP game so having characters of various levels and interests is less of a problem and having a large crew gives characters a narrative place to fade into or emerge out of without breaking immersion. Oh, umm it appears I have rambled. *ahem* Epic and beyond are not necessarily outside the scope of our story should we find people motivated enough to get there.

Roll a single set of seven scores, rerolling if you meet the criteria. Although JNA certainly tried to roll seven sets

ACFs and Paragon classes are fine, just cite.

Lesser Planetouched are fine.

I didn't have any restrictions in mind when it comes to PrC, but I would prefer nobody try to break the game ´
    Alright, thanks for the answers. I'll roll some dice and see which concept works with the results.

One thing I am till wondering about, though, is the expected level of magic in the game. From your introductory post, I imagined magic - both arcane and divine - would be "relatively" rare, since both types come with significant drawbacks/risks compared to the way they normally work.

However, many of the PC submissions so far seem "magic" to me - binders, psions, warlocks - and generally set to avoid the problems with magic outlined in the OP. It certainly steers away from my first impression of the game, namely "real world" with a bit of mysterious magic sprinkled in.

So is this the level of magic that should be considered typical and/or "necessary" to be a useful party member? Would we regularly be facing enemies - humanoid or monster - sporting spell-like or supernatural abilities, immunities that can be overcome by magic but not cold steel, etc.? Apologies for the questions - just trying to get a proper feel for the intended style of game.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Alright, thanks for the answers. I'll roll some dice and see which concept works with the results.

One thing I am till wondering about, though, is the expected level of magic in the game. From your introductory post, I imagined magic - both arcane and divine - would be "relatively" rare, since both types come with significant drawbacks/risks compared to the way they normally work.

However, many of the PC submissions so far seem "magic" to me - binders, psions, warlocks - and generally set to avoid the problems with magic outlined in the OP. It certainly steers away from my first impression of the game, namely "real world" with a bit of mysterious magic sprinkled in.

So is this the level of magic that should be considered typical and/or "necessary" to be a useful party member? Would we regularly be facing enemies - humanoid or monster - sporting spell-like or supernatural abilities, immunities that can be overcome by magic but not cold steel, etc.? Apologies for the questions - just trying to get a proper feel for the intended style of game.
    In the wider world, yes magic is fairly rare. In the hot bed of global interest that is our primary setting magic is more common since the wealth and power of much of the world is focused on establishing dominance there. And of course PCs are the characters that stand out from the crowds so they can't really be quantified against a world's averages, at least that's my philosophy. I certainly want the backdrop to feel more like your initial impression of what the game would be, but that doesn't preclude the party from breaking the mold. And, I do think that a well built mundane character could still be perfectly viable.

As for the level of magic you will be facing on a regular basis, most nationally sponsored ocean going ships, either company trading vessels or navy man 'o wars are likely to have a magic user or two aboard, but not every sail that breaks the horizon will carry the risk of someone lobbing a fireball in with their broadside. Your average pirate ship probably has someone, like some of the submissions, who has a magical talent that is less focused on direct spellcasting but has a small selection of utility powers and such people are generally available for hire in a large trading port. If the party decides to go hunting fantastic creatures you're likely to find them, and in such situations you are more likely to want magical support, but I'm not sure I'd ever say that there is something which absolutely cannot be overcome without resorting to magic.

Questions are always welcome. I hope my answers are comprehensible
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-05-15 at 03:00 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I don't have a problem with a social skill focused character, however; Diplomancy is a heavily frowned upon school of magic. Use it wisely.
    Well, since invocations are 24 hrs effect. I will probably cast it in the morning when no one sees me.

Not sure what that Misc bonus to your AC is?
    You seem to have a few extra skill points.
    Don't forget to note your racial swim bonus.
    I chose Defense Bonus system for my character and warlock is proficient in light armor. I'm not sure where should I put this bonus, cause armor bonus is deducted from touch AC.

Skill points in total: (3*4) WarlockI +3 WarlockII +2 Nymph's Kiss=17. Did I do the math wrong?

Got it!

Would you be against reworking your patron into some kind of Saint or Angel? I'm trying to stick closer to real world religions with the serial numbers filed off, since without that a lot of history starts to do wonky things.
    No problem, I'll work on it.
    Last edited by Almostdead; 2019-05-15 at 03:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I chose Defense Bonus system for my character and warlock is proficient in light armor. I'm not sure where should I put this bonus, cause armor bonus is deducted from touch AC.

Skill points in total: (3*4) WarlockI +3 WarlockII +2 Nymph's Kiss=17. Did I do the math wrong?
    Nope, nope. I'm dumb and tired. You got everything right.

Well, since invocations are 24 hrs effect. I will probably cast it in the morning when no one sees me.
    The diplomancy comment was a friendly out of universe warning from the DM not to try and roll Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate to fix every problem.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I shouldn’t get the an animal companion until lvl 4, however can I use the nature’s bond feat to act as though I had a lvl 3 companion? I shpuldn’t be able to use it to get a companion early but it would make more sense for me to have the companion from the onset.

Also, can we add “distract” to the list of tricks that can be taught to animals to aid in stealth and the like?
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-05-15 at 05:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

The diplomancy comment was a friendly out of universe warning from the DM not to try and roll Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate to fix every problem.
    Of course. I will do reasonable role play when I use these skills.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    I shouldn’t get the an animal companion until lvl 4, however can I use the nature’s bond feat to act as though I had a lvl 3 companion? I shpuldn’t be able to use it to get a companion early but it would make more sense for me to have the companion from the onset.

Also, can we add “distract” to the list of tricks that can be taught to animals to aid in stealth and the like?
    Yeah, you can start with an animal companion.

Depending on the animal I can certainly think of ways a distract trick could be taught, so that's fine.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm interested. Unlike most of the submissions, my character will be purely martial.
    Spoiler: My rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Edit: I'm thinking of taking Paladin of Freedom levels in the future. How do gods and such work in this setting?
    Last edited by RoTWS; 2019-05-15 at 11:43 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Colossus in the Playground

Dwilla is mostly done!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

How strict are race & alignment requirements on base classes, prestige classes, and feats?
    I'm really looking at taking a specific dragonmark (Scribing) which is required for a prc (Unbound Scroll). However, this dragonmark is normally only available to gnomes, which I'm really not fond of.
    Last edited by Psilulz; 2019-05-15 at 01:33 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Let's roll some stats!

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[13]

In the original post you mentioned that artificery is... Well, common is probably the wrong word, but established in the world. Would you consider using pathfinder's rules for crafting magic items, which essentially removes the xp components? (Also, would you consider using pathfinder's revised crafting rules, at the bottom of this page?)

Depending on stats and answers to the above questions, I'm considering making a wizard crafter: an incredibly ambitious one considering the dangers of arcane casting.

Edit: Because I'm just full of crafting questions. Since guns are allowed, does one need to take the gunsmithing feat, or would ranks in craft (Weaponsmithing) suffice?
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-05-15 at 02:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Mechanical side mostly done now for Charles Martins, the Son of a Franco-Metis woman and a fur trapper set to see all the beasts and great sites of the world.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1909462
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

On further consideration, I think I'll sit this one out. Thanks for your time and good luck with the game.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Seeing as we are using pathfinder gun rules would the gunslinger class (with changes as appropriate) be allowed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

human ranger substitution levels

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Rattlebone, sailor and voodoo practitioner. Pending approval, of course. A couple points I think might warrant DM attention:
    • My race (mountain spiritfolk) gives me a climb speed and one feat (Water Heritage) grants a swim speed, though not waterbreathing or free action.
    • I chose mountain spiritfolk partly for their ability to speak with birds -- it ties in with my usual choice of vestige, which lets me see through a bird's eyes. But I also chose them to be otherworldly, including the Otherworldly feat that gives darkvision and makes me a native outsider.
    • If Water Heritage isn't kosher, what about Wild Cohort? Again, connecting with birds ...
    • I made up a masterwork Intimidate tool, a skullcap made with actual human skulls. Fair? Usable against humans only, of course, but that's a huge chunk of the game's NPCs.
    • And from the It Doesn't Hurt To Ask Department -- can I have 5 ranks in Knowledge (Religion) give a +1 or +2 synergy bonus to pactmaking attempts? That's the roll that determines whether a binder MUST act the way their vestige wants or only OUGHT to do so.

Spoiler: background copied from character sheet
    Show
    Conceived by two chevaux -- two loa-ridden people -- in the highest mountains of Hispaniola, Jean Anjou was literally born to be a wonder. His village raised him with a wealth of love and stirred his heart with tales of heroics at sea. At night, Erzulie Freda's white dove would come rest by his cot while Maitre Carrefour's black pig would scare off ghosts and other dangers.

A faraway Spanish noble, pickled in the noisome vinegar of misappropriated Churchian teachings, sent templars and priests to convert that idyllic little village. Since the inhabitants were not inclined to take on that hate, the village was brought to ruin. Most fled, or were sold into slavery, or died resisting. The rest made a show of converting to Churchism, but lacking support from either loa or most of the town, they could no longer scrape a living from the land.

Fellow escapee M'sieur Limbe used to sail, and he got himself and young Jean hired onto the Spanish galleon Santa Maria. Her name didn't match her current status -- the ship was used for drug-running, prostitution, and blockade evasion, with occasional forays into outright piracy. Jean learned quickly and developed a few religious contacts in the Santa Maria's more frequent ports-of-call. And well he did, too, as M. Limbe died, thrown overboard in a storm, not even two years after their flight from the mountain village.

Since then, Jean has put a lot of practice into attracting and gratifying the loa. He plays up the mystery and wonder that their blessings evoke from other humans. With a little subtle 'spin', he's starting to forge a reputation of being good luck for a ship, and he certainly doesn't mind being thought of as someone you wouldn't want to cross. He seeded the nom de guerre Rattlebone himself and constantly wears a very recognizable set of gewgaws to try to build his renown more quickly. For now, the power is enough. When he has a more secure future he can consider lasting matters like building a family or ensuring a place where voodoo could be practiced without interference.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun