Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Golden Age of Sail (D&D 3.5)

Ubirajara is pretty much complete. Left hims some gold that he can use at start of the game and added a few details to his background and fluff.
    Archmage Camus Shatris, the Master Abjurer.
    Ubirajara Snake, the indigean cook snakemaster.

"Savages. All of them!", Archmage Camus.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Keegan "Vishaal" Cannith is mostly done, I just need some gear and a backstory.

And I went with a human human...

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RoTWS View Post
    Edit: I'm thinking of taking Paladin of Freedom levels in the future. How do gods and such work in this setting?
    Real world with the serial numbers filed off and an Eberron twist. So we have The Church of the Living God, The Chosen of God, and the Servants of God (I'll let you draw the parallels), in addition to various "primitive" pantheons and cults of animism/shamanism. The Eberron twist is that while divine magic and miracles are demonstrable things the specific "will of God" is not, and divine magic seems to be drawn directly from faith rather than actually granted by a higher power (not that most of the faithful would agree with such a blasphemous supposition).

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Dwilla is mostly done!
    Looks sound mechanically. Looking forward to some story.

Quote Originally Posted by Psilulz View Post
    How strict are race & alignment requirements on base classes, prestige classes, and feats?
    Flexible, just ask and don't start stacking a bunch of contradictory stuff. No vows of vengeance on characters with vows of peace etc.

Divorcing dragonmarks from their respective races is perfectly fine, but you may only have one dragonmark.

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    In the original post you mentioned that artificery is... Well, common is probably the wrong word, but established in the world. Would you consider using pathfinder's rules for crafting magic items, which essentially removes the xp components? (Also, would you consider using pathfinder's revised crafting rules, at the bottom of this page?)

Depending on stats and answers to the above questions, I'm considering making a wizard crafter: an incredibly ambitious one considering the dangers of arcane casting.

Edit: Because I'm just full of crafting questions. Since guns are allowed, does one need to take the gunsmithing feat, or would ranks in craft (Weaponsmithing) suffice?
    Well creating magic items as a Wizard still carries the danger of wild magic. Creating them as an Artificer does not, and that is what I was referring to. I would prefer to use 3.5's magic crafting rules.

Gunsmithing is different enough to be its own crafting skill, but the gunsmithing feat is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Mechanical side mostly done now for Charles Martins, the Son of a Franco-Metis woman and a fur trapper set to see all the beasts and great sites of the world.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1909462
    Cool. Lemme just take a peek at your sheet:

-As a 3rd level character your starting funds are 2700 gp
    -You'll have to narrow your favored enemy to a specific kind of humans, for example Favored Enemy (British) or (Pirate). Something like that.

Feel free to look at the expanded combat style options provided by Pathfinder if you don't want TWF or Archery

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    On further consideration, I think I'll sit this one out. Thanks for your time and good luck with the game.
    Thanks for chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    Seeing as we are using pathfinder gun rules would the gunslinger class (with changes as appropriate) be allowed?
    Gunslingers are allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Rattlebone, sailor and voodoo practitioner. Pending approval, of course. A couple points I think might warrant DM attention:
    • My race (mountain spiritfolk) gives me a climb speed and one feat (Water Heritage) grants a swim speed, though not waterbreathing or free action.
    • I chose mountain spiritfolk partly for their ability to speak with birds -- it ties in with my usual choice of vestige, which lets me see through a bird's eyes. But I also chose them to be otherworldly, including the Otherworldly feat that gives darkvision and makes me a native outsider.
    • If Water Heritage isn't kosher, what about Wild Cohort? Again, connecting with birds ...
    • I made up a masterwork Intimidate tool, a skullcap made with actual human skulls. Fair? Usable against humans only, of course, but that's a huge chunk of the game's NPCs.
    • And from the It Doesn't Hurt To Ask Department -- can I have 5 ranks in Knowledge (Religion) give a +1 or +2 synergy bonus to pactmaking attempts? That's the roll that determines whether a binder MUST act the way their vestige wants or only OUGHT to do so.
    I like him.

Race is okay. If I'm not going to tag Water races with an LA then I'll leave spiritfolk alone too.
    I'll send some albatrosses to hang about the boat
    Hmm, in universe I can see wearing a human skull as being Intimidating to certain people ("civilized folk") but not to others (Native Islanders or Pirates for example) but then Masterwork tools don't generally have a restriction on when they provide a bonus, they just do it. So, fine.
    That sounds appropriate to me. You know the right sacrifices and rituals to appease the spirits and make them more pliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Ubirajara is pretty much complete. Left hims some gold that he can use at start of the game and added a few details to his background and fluff.
    Nice.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sadpanda01 View Post
    Keegan "Vishaal" Cannith is mostly done, I just need some gear and a backstory.

Looks good to me. Throw some story on it and you'll be in the running

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Ah, for some reason I always forget that artificer is a literal class and not just a way to describe a caster with item creation feats. That is far more relevant to what I'm going for.
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-05-15 at 11:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    Hmm, in universe I can see wearing a human skull as being Intimidating to certain people ("civilized folk") but not to others (Native Islanders or Pirates for example) but then Masterwork tools don't generally have a restriction on when they provide a bonus, they just do it.
    Counterexamples: In core, you have stuff like military saddles benefitting certain Ride checks but not others and the magnifying glass not helping all Appraise checks. The silent shoes, jeweler's loupe and merchant's scale on my character sheet are that way. Lots of alchemicals, too. So, I dunno, I don't want to make more work for you, but I'd actually enjoy seeing different groups' mindsets reflected in how they react to my headgear. Immersion, baby!

Madman!

Player Character Race Class Concept
    Chimaera Ubirajara Snake duergar rogue/druid indigenous snakemaster
    samduke Lei Korosuga human fighter talented runaway
    Almostdead Eldon Sommer water halfling warlock holy charmer
    JNAProductions Dwilla human psion (... skinwalker?)
    JbeJ275 Charles Martins human ranger (... animal friend?)
    Dimers Rattlebone spiritfolk rogue/binder famed bokor
    Sadpanda01 Keegan "Vishaal" Cannith human factotum (... cunning crafter?)
    Psilulz not yet named Deep Imaskari artificer (... scrollmaster?)
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-05-16 at 02:34 AM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sheet in progress.

Is pre-game crafting allowed?
    Many thanks to Derjuin for my awesome alhoon avatar!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Sheet in progress.

Added your sheet to the table above. Question is already answered but it got kinda buried:

Pre-crafting is allowed, just don't abuse it.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sheet in progress.

Yes, pre-crafting is fine, just don't go nuts.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Counterexamples: In core, you have stuff like military saddles benefitting certain Ride checks but not others and the magnifying glass not helping all Appraise checks. The silent shoes, jeweler's loupe and merchant's scale on my character sheet are that way. Lots of alchemicals, too. So, I dunno, I don't want to make more work for you, but I'd actually enjoy seeing different groups' mindsets reflected in how they react to my headgear. Immersion, baby!

Player Character Race Class Concept
    Chimaera Ubirajara Snake duergar rogue/druid indigenous snakemaster
    samduke Lei Korosuga human fighter talented runaway
    Almostdead Eldon Sommer water halfling warlock holy charmer
    JNAProductions Dwilla human psion (... skinwalker?)
    JbeJ275 Charles Martins human ranger (... animal friend?)
    Dimers Rattlebone spiritfolk rogue/binder famed bokor
    Sadpanda01 Keegan "Vishaal" Cannith human factotum (... cunning crafter?)
    Psilulz not yet named Deep Imaskari artificer (... scrollmaster?)
    Restriction imposed then

Also thank you for this chart

11. - Top - End - #71

Ahh didn't see that, thanks!

Mechanically, I will be focusing a lot on scrolls and writing and ink magic. For now, he will be mostly in a support position.

Conceptually, my character will be a travelling author, journeying on behalf of a university.

Hmm... any way I could grab Linguistics as a class skill without burning a feat? That's one thing I really like about Pathfinder, how easy it is to grab new class skills using traits.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Conceptually, I want to be an explorer, marine and naturalist finding both wealth and unique creatures.

On a different topic which crown do we want to fight against and under? Or shall we be totally independent without protection or limitations? I would prefer independence or fighting under the British Crown. Or if France is meant to be post reveloution then maybe that could be interesting?
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

13. - Top - End - #73

Heya, here is our dear fellow Ota "Tall Tale" Likola, Dragonfire Adept 3:

Here's a rundown of his background:
    Spoiler: Background
    Show

Ota "Tall Tale" Likola is a Cameroonese Pygmy that has been at sea in the Caribbeans for the past fifteen years.

Ota's village was razed by a rival tribe and the survivors were sold to French slavers. The French boat was also loaded with all manners of exotic goods and animals, such as cocoa, igname, apes, and more importantly, an African Wyrmling Copper dragon. Somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, the Wyrmling managed to slip its shackles. A great confusion occured during which the crew tried to master the beast. The enslaved took the opportunity to rebel. In the ensuing chaos, the Cameroonese managed to beat back and to kill off their captors, while the dragon suffered mortal wounds and died shortly thereafter. Not being experienced as sailors, the improvised crew made an emergency port at the nearest isle, which happened to be the Barbade island. From there on, not having a place to go back to nor the nautical skills to make the trip back, the newfound crew was stuck in the Caribbeans. Over time, they adopted the place as their new home, the crew splitting apart according to fate, deaths and adventures.

Ota Likola had been awestruck by the dragon ever since they had been both confined aboard. After the dragon had offered them the chance to become free, Ota had felt indebted towards the beast, and profoundly marked when it finally died. Contrary to Europe, African dragons still roam the forests. Ota now roams the Caribbeans, merrily partaking in any adventure that crosses his path, but his background motivation is to ever look for the discovery of another one of these beasts. He feels he owes the species his freedom, and strives to repay the debt by preventing other dragons to suffer that fate. His peculiar outlook and quest have made him somewhat famous in the buccaneering world as a dragon hunter.

This had led him to amass an impressive amount of stories, and him being a pirate, a fair share has been inflated to make them more impressive. A crewmate found it clever to christen the Pygmy with the nickname of "Tall tale".

Crunch questions:
    -Jungle Gnome gives +2 to Climb. With Pathfinder skills, what does that convert into?
    -Same question for +2 to Use Rope.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2019-05-16 at 09:36 AM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

14. - Top - End - #74

WhiteWizardGirl

Here is a mostly crunch sheet for Sophie Dubois, student and ambassador of the great Charles Darwin (assuming this works with the flavor of the game. Technically Darwin was mid 1800's). A transmuter and a budding biologist, she's convinced (perhaps incorrectly) that the only thing stopping humans from controlling magic is the right formulas, and that magic can make people better than they ever could. Why join up with privates? Well... partly to see the world and the creatures that live in it. Partly because they don't actually let you practice this sort of thing at universities. Something about test animals turning into jelly...

Mechanically speaking, she'll be going Geometer into Loremaster.

Side question: if pay for the scroll, and the cost of adding it to my spellbook, may I add the spell to the spellbook? Or should I just start the game with a few scrolls and do that during down time?

15. - Top - End - #75

That's an awesome character concept
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

16. - Top - End - #76

Query: Items crafted by an Artificer & their infusions are explicitly not arcane or divine. How would these be handled in setting (seeing that most other types of magic have altered rules/ implications)?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Background, this time with detail.

Charles was born in a small cabin on the South Bank of Moose river, in the Hudson Bay territory. His father was a fur trapper, not without wealth but of no particular standing. His mother was one of the Franco-Metis semi native peoples, who continued to meet with her relatives amongst the Gwitch’in tribe. As a youngster Charles would spend autumn and spring learning to hunt in the woods with his father and the summer and winter in port towns that grew around the fort of St Rupert. His paternal uncle was a fur trader captain and first taught him the ways of sea and sail.

Charles was happy enough as he reached adulthood, hunting beaver and moose in the forests around his home but in the fur trade bust shifted to boom and to avoid destitution he left to work on a foreign ship. He had little cheer for weeks until they put into port at the northern tip and began spying the Walrus, Narwgal and Beluga.

Struck by the unique nature of these beasts he signed for a tour with the Royal Navy and spent the next years sailing up and down the Atlantic, he saw beasts he never imagined before but as a naval saloon their paths varied to little for his liking, and the pay would never give him the chance to live and see these ancient legends. Thus after his service ended without any hope of meeting the great naturalists, he crept into a disreputable town in the Caribbean, musket on one shoulder. A Hudson Sea Eagle, the last friend from home, over the other.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Dwilla
    Show
    Dwilla was always a smart one. She learned stuff faster than her friends, and moved on to reading voraciously from a young age.

But she didn't know she had more than just a good brain until she found a tapered-looking crystal one day. She thought it was pretty, and it had washed up on the shore, so she simply picked it up. Later that night, she heard a voice in her head.

Hello? it asked.

Dwilla was, naturally, a little shocked and frightened. But she thought back, saying Hello? Who is this?

Oh, hi! I'm you! the voice said. Kinda...

There was no sleep that night. Dwilla spent the entire night, and most of the next day, learning about her strange new... Fragment? Friend?

When she told her parents, the day after, they told her in no uncertain terms that what she was doing was highly illegal, and she shouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. Dwilla nodded, and agreed... For a little bit. But she didn't get rid of the crystal. She kept it... And began to hone her abilities.

She knew that what she had was... Not wrong, but illegal. She didn't know WHY the laws were there, but she hewed close to all others, never giving anyone a reason to investigate her.

So, how are we starting the game? I'll complete the backstory when I know where I'm supposed to end up. :P
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... any way I could grab Linguistics as a class skill without burning a feat?
    Hmm ... you could get Rank 3 in the Paragnostic Assembly. Complete Champion page 72. Decipher Script is one of the options, which should equate to Linguistics.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    -Jungle Gnome gives +2 to Climb. With Pathfinder skills, what does that convert into?
    Climb is a Pathfinder skill. I haven't seen an equivalent for Use Rope, but I bet most applications would allow a Profession (Sailor) check ...

On a different topic which crown do we want to fight against and under? Or shall we be totally independent without protection or limitations?
    I think to a degree that's related to the chosen players' outlook, including Alignment. I've added an Alignment column to the chart. From my reading of backstories, it doesn't look like anyone is particularly for or against working as government agents. But most of us are more oriented toward exploring than toward wealth or a grand plan, and I suspect a government wouldn't let us just run around at our whim while we're supposed to be working for them ...

Player Character Alignment Race Class Concept
    Chimaera Ubirajara Snake NE duergar rogue/druid indigenous snakemaster
    samduke Lei Korosuga N human fighter talented runaway
    Almostdead Eldon Sommer exalted CG water halfling warlock holy charmer
    JNAProductions Dwilla ?? human psion experimental outlaw
    JbeJ275 Charles Martins TN human ranger exploring marine
    Dimers Rattlebone CN spiritfolk rogue/binder famed bokor
    Sadpanda01 Keegan "Vishaal" Cannith NE human factotum (... cunning crafter?)
    Psilulz not yet named ?? Deep Imaskari artificer travelling author
    remetagross "Tall Tale" N jungle gnome dragonfire adept dragonseeker
    El'the Ellie Sophie Dubois exalted CG gray elf wizard experimental biologist
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-05-17 at 03:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hmm ... you could get Rank 3 in the Paragnostic Assembly. Complete Champion page 72. Decipher Script is one of the options, which should equate to Linguistics.

Climb is a Pathfinder skill. I haven't seen an equivalent for Use Rope, but I bet most applications would allow a Profession (Sailor) check ...

I think to a degree that's related to the chosen players' outlook, including Alignment. I've added an Alignment column to the chart. From my reading of backstories, it doesn't look like anyone is particularly for or against working as government agents. But most of us are more oriented toward exploring than toward wealth or a grand plan, and I suspect a government wouldn't let us just run around at our whim while we're supposed to be working for them ...

Player Character Alignment Race Class Concept
    Chimaera Ubirajara Snake NE duergar rogue/druid indigenous snakemaster
    samduke Lei Korosuga N human fighter talented runaway
    Almostdead Eldon Sommer exalted CG water halfling warlock holy charmer
    JNAProductions Dwilla ?? human psion experimental outlaw
    JbeJ275 Charles Martins ?? human ranger exploring marine
    Dimers Rattlebone CN spiritfolk rogue/binder famed bokor
    Sadpanda01 Keegan "Vishaal" Cannith NE human factotum (... cunning crafter?)
    Psilulz not yet named ?? Deep Imaskari artificer travelling author
    remetagross "Tall Tale" N jungle gnome dragonfire adept dragonseeker
    El'the Ellie Sophie Dubois CG gray elf wizard experimental biologist
    Historically as long as we are privateers rather than crewmen in a naval vessel we retain near complete autonomy. Basically we promise not to attack merchant ships from them or close allies and to prioritise attacking their foes. In return their ships don’t pursue us, we can safely resupply in their ports and if we want to take a break back in civilisation we can do so there without fearing persecution. They would likely allow exploration as long as we don’t harm them and it gives us a better chance of finding experts and selling treasures without losing the fence’s cut.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

That's plausible, and I'll take your word for it. History is not one of my strengths. (Which probably means I'm doomed to repeat it. )

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Question, I currently have English, French and Hindi as my languages. I'm considering swapping, French for Dutch. Around that point in time there was a fairly prominent dutch naval trade for slavery mostly...

Background cliff notes, Keevan was born in Goa India by an Englishman working for the Trading Company. He grew up to be a skilled shipbuilder eventually branching off to repairing ships out in the open ocean to be returned to service to the the British Crown. (Ie, kill the crew, steal and fix the ship)

Craft alchemy is there mostly as a way to make, you know, alchemy stuff. Namely Alchemists fire, gun powder etc. I do vaguely recall a few rules where alchemy can be substituted for poison making and distilling alcohol. No rum though, it has to be Gin to be a proper english drink ;)

Profession Siege Engineer is used for the weapons on said ship!

Also, I'm tempted to swap combat expertise for old salt. I can see the,value of both though...
    Last edited by Sadpanda01; 2019-05-16 at 01:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Question, I currently have English, French and Hindi as my languages. I'm considering swapping, French for Dutch. Around that point in time there was a fairly prominent dutch naval trade for slavery mostly...
    What's the question? If you're looking for opinions, well, it seems like the Dutch were more likely to work with and get along with the English, particularly around India. Mechanically, having another language under our collective belts would be nice since we already have French covered -- but it'd make it harder for us to communicate with each other. So far, the submissions include:
    Spoiler: languages
    Show
    Arabic 2
    Arawak 1
    Celestial 1
    Chinese (Mandarin?) 2
    Druidic 1
    English 7
    Fon 1
    French 5
    German 3
    Gyele 1
    Hindi 1
    Latin 1
    Lucumi 1
    Portuguese 2
    Spanish 7
    Sylvan 2
    Tupi 1
    Plus your French/Dutch and three not yet defined.

Profession Siege Engineer is used for the weapons on said ship!

Also, I'm tempted to swap combat expertise for old salt. I can see the,value of both though...
    Yay, thank you for being a gunner! Again, if you're asking for opinions -- Old Salt is not a strong feat, especially considering that someone else in the party (or an NPC on the ship) will probably have plentiful Survival anyway. Flavorwise, sure, but mechanically weak. Speaking of feats, though, have you considered Stormheart? It's a Regional feat in PGtF (so, level 1 only) with benefits similar to both Old Salt and Sailor's Balance: +2 to Prof(Sailor) and Balance, ignore movement penalties for pitching or slippery decks, +1 dodge AC during ship battles.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-05-16 at 02:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah I was thinking of going for not typical languages just to cover additional regions. That being said; English, Hindi and Dutch seems to fit a decent sweet spot language wise.

I've never come across that feat! That seems to be a good stand in for both of the stormwrack feats with a little extra "oomph". Thank you for that bit of knowledge.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hmm... any way I could grab Linguistics as a class skill without burning a feat? That's one thing I really like about Pathfinder, how easy it is to grab new class skills using traits.
    I can certainly see a trait granting you Linguistics as a class skill, and since this is 3.5 probably with a -1 toooooooo, diplomacy? You've spent too long locked in a university learning the languages to make good connections with the people speaking them, and your accent is horrible

Spoiler: Background, this time with detail.
    Show
    Charles was born in a small cabin on the South Bank of Moose river, in the Hudson Bay territory. His father was a fur trapper, not without wealth but of no particular standing. His mother was one of the Franco-Metis semi native peoples, who continued to meet with her relatives amongst the Gwitch’in tribe. As a youngster Charles would spend autumn and spring learning to hunt in the woods with his father and the summer and winter in port towns that grew around the fort of St Rupert. His paternal uncle was a fur trader captain and first taught him the ways of sea and sail.

Charles was happy enough as he reached adulthood, hunting beaver and moose in the forests around his home but in the fur trade bust shifted to boom and to avoid destitution he left to work on a foreign ship. He had little cheer for weeks until they put into port at the northern tip and began spying the Walrus, Narwgal and Beluga.

Struck by the unique nature of these beasts he signed for a tour with the Royal Navy and spent the next years sailing up and down the Atlantic, he saw beasts he never imagined before but as a naval saloon their paths varied to little for his liking, and the pay would never give him the chance to live and see these ancient legends. Thus after his service ended without any hope of meeting the great naturalists, he crept into a disreputable town in the Caribbean, musket on one shoulder. A Hudson Sea Eagle, the last friend from home, over the other.
    On a different topic which crown do we want to fight against and under? Or shall we be totally independent without protection or limitations? I would prefer independence or fighting under the British Crown. Or if France is meant to be post reveloution then maybe that could be interesting?
    Good details! As for party specifics we will determine those after player selection but before the campaign starts.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Heya, here is our dear fellow Ota "Tall Tale" Likola, Dragonfire Adept 3:
    Spoiler: Tall Tale
    Show

Here's a rundown of his background:

Ota "Tall Tale" Likola is a Cameroonese Pygmy that has been at sea in the Caribbeans for the past fifteen years.

Ota's village was razed by a rival tribe and the survivors were sold to French slavers. The French boat was also loaded with all manners of exotic goods and animals, such as cocoa, igname, apes, and more importantly, an African Wyrmling Copper dragon. Somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, the Wyrmling managed to slip its shackles. A great confusion occured during which the crew tried to master the beast. The enslaved took the opportunity to rebel. In the ensuing chaos, the Cameroonese managed to beat back and to kill off their captors, while the dragon suffered mortal wounds and died shortly thereafter. Not being experienced as sailors, the improvised crew made an emergency port at the nearest isle, which happened to be the Barbade island. From there on, not having a place to go back to nor the nautical skills to make the trip back, the newfound crew was stuck in the Caribbeans. Over time, they adopted the place as their new home, the crew splitting apart according to fate, deaths and adventures.

Ota Likola had been awestruck by the dragon ever since they had been both confined aboard. After the dragon had offered them the chance to become free, Ota had felt indebted towards the beast, and profoundly marked when it finally died. Contrary to Europe, African dragons still roam the forests. Ota now roams the Caribbeans, merrily partaking in any adventure that crosses his path, but his background motivation is to ever look for the discovery of another one of these beasts. He feels he owes the species his freedom, and strives to repay the debt by preventing other dragons to suffer that fate. His peculiar outlook and quest have made him somewhat famous in the buccaneering world as a dragon hunter.

This had led him to amass an impressive amount of stories, and him being a pirate, a fair share has been inflated to make them more impressive. A crewmate found it clever to christen the Pygmy with the nickname of "Tall tale".

Crunch questions:
    Cool cool. Mechanically:
    Your base saves should be 3/1/3
    Questions:
    Climb is still alive and well in the PF skill list
    Use rope can convert to Profession Sailor Checks when dealing with rope.

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    Here is a mostly crunch sheet for Sophie Dubois, student and ambassador of the great Charles Darwin (assuming this works with the flavor of the game. Technically Darwin was mid 1800's). A transmuter and a budding biologist, she's convinced (perhaps incorrectly) that the only thing stopping humans from controlling magic is the right formulas, and that magic can make people better than they ever could. Why join up with privates? Well... partly to see the world and the creatures that live in it. Partly because they don't actually let you practice this sort of thing at universities. Something about test animals turning into jelly...

Mechanically speaking, she'll be going Geometer into Loremaster.

Side question: if pay for the scroll, and the cost of adding it to my spellbook, may I add the spell to the spellbook? Or should I just start the game with a few scrolls and do that during down time?
    Looks good to me! And an additional note, while it does seem to be going that way the party need not be actual pirates. Sailors and seafarers yes. Pirates, not necessarily.
    Side question: Yes, you may start the game with the spells in your spellbook, and for future reference since the spell doesn't actually go off there is no danger of a wild magic surge when adding a spell to a spellbook.

Query: Items crafted by an Artificer & their infusions are explicitly not arcane or divine. How would these be handled in setting (seeing that most other types of magic have altered rules/ implications)?
    Artificers are run as written. Being neither arcane nor divine, they and their creations cannot cause wild magic surges and, at the highest levels, they are the only ones with access to 7th, 8th, and 9th level "divine" spells, in a round about way.

Artificers charge 1.5 times the listed price for a spell trigger or spell completion item that would normally be arcane, and thus run the risk of wild magic. Even if you could find an artificer with sufficient skill to create the effects of a 7+ level divine spell such things are generally not for sale.

In universe, there seems to be something about the way artificers invoke and bind magic that fundamentally changes its nature but despite intense study on the subject nobody can quite say what or why this is.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Spoiler: Dwilla
    Show
    Dwilla was always a smart one. She learned stuff faster than her friends, and moved on to reading voraciously from a young age.

But she didn't know she had more than just a good brain until she found a tapered-looking crystal one day. She thought it was pretty, and it had washed up on the shore, so she simply picked it up. Later that night, she heard a voice in her head.

Hello? it asked.

Dwilla was, naturally, a little shocked and frightened. But she thought back, saying Hello? Who is this?

Oh, hi! I'm you! the voice said. Kinda...

There was no sleep that night. Dwilla spent the entire night, and most of the next day, learning about her strange new... Fragment? Friend?

When she told her parents, the day after, they told her in no uncertain terms that what she was doing was highly illegal, and she shouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. Dwilla nodded, and agreed... For a little bit. But she didn't get rid of the crystal. She kept it... And began to hone her abilities.

She knew that what she had was... Not wrong, but illegal. She didn't know WHY the laws were there, but she hewed close to all others, never giving anyone a reason to investigate her.

So, how are we starting the game? I'll complete the backstory when I know where I'm supposed to end up. :P
    Sounds good. Just remember that identifying psionics isn't something that the average peasant/deckhand can do. It takes specialized training... Hmm, I think the inquisition was not hunting witches but psions. Yes, this is now cannon.

How we will start is still TBD. I'm going to close the thread and let people finish up then we will hammer out where and why the party gets together.

Historically as long as we are privateers rather than crewmen in a naval vessel we retain near complete autonomy. Basically we promise not to attack merchant ships from them or close allies and to prioritise attacking their foes. In return their ships don’t pursue us, we can safely resupply in their ports and if we want to take a break back in civilisation we can do so there without fearing persecution. They would likely allow exploration as long as we don’t harm them and it gives us a better chance of finding experts and selling treasures without losing the fence’s cut.
    This is accurate.

Thank you, Dimers, for the assists. Thread is now closed to new interest. Please get your sheets mechanically and narratively polished. Selection will take place soon!
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-05-16 at 07:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Colossus in the Playground

Let's just say her parents have had... experiences with psionics before.

That, or more likely, they're just plain pretty well educated, and recognize a glowing, spindly-legged telepathic crystal as something to NOT mess with.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Any specific deadline?

Concept is solidifying though I still haven't started with the sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

human ranger substitution levels

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    Any specific deadline?
    A few days, maybe a week. The big point is just that we have enough interest to make two or three parties over so we don't need any more.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you, Dimers
    You're quite welcome. I don't usually have a chance to get quite so deeply involved, and I was worried I was making myself a pest. My boss is making me take a vacation this calendar week ... I've had a lot of time to spend.

Been enjoying lots of y'all's stories and descriptions. I look forward to hearing what kind of captain would take on a wild crew like this ...

30. - Top - End - #90

Yeah, I was somehow convinced Climb got folded into Acrobatics in Pathfinder. All good then. Thanks Dimers and TheBarbecueChip.