Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 381
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    hroşila's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I might just add that to my extended sig, you know.
    Feel free! Mablung needs all the love he can get.
    ungelic is us

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MReav's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Is it just me or does that guy look like one of the two adventurers that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Durkon almost recruited for the Order of the Stick before Roy vetoed it, not realizing who they were? The ones who then went on to storm the gates of the hells out of boredom. From the Prequel comic who's name escapes me?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not in the slightest. They were a half-celestial/full celestial and a four-armed spellcaster, neither of whom were dwarf-sized. I could see them as groomsmen at the wedding though. Also, Roy didn't veto it, Durkon simply opted to turn them down when he heard Roy got 4 people.
    My friend PhotonJeff streams Beat Saber and other VR works between 1 PM and 9 PM EST Mondays to Thursdays. Check him out.

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not in the slightest. They were a half-celestial/full celestial and a four-armed spellcaster, neither of whom were dwarf-sized. I could see them as groomsmen at the wedding though. Also, Roy didn't veto it, Durkon simply opted to turn them down when he heard Roy got 4 people.
    And that's why communication is key!
    Although we would not have this epic saga if these two would've joined the party...

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clearfield, Pennsylvania
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    For some reason I got the feeling that this new extended relative was some kind of immensely powerful Epic Level Incarnum-user, but a Celestial is also a perfectly valid hypothesis. Although I think "random insanely-powerful adventurer" fits better with the joke as a one-off distant clan member who just shows up out of the blue up to help. Plus a possible "out of the blue" pun could be another reason for all the blue, as well.

    I'll have to dig around in my books to see if there's a power that lets the user summon an Incarnum sword (that ethereal sword was definitely some kind of supernatural effect, not a physical weapon.)

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron L View Post
    I'll have to dig around in my books to see if there's a power that lets the user summon an Incarnum sword (that ethereal sword was definitely some kind of supernatural effect, not a physical weapon.)
    And that got me thinking... Would Notthad be able to enter the blue barrier area with his mighty sword without becoming stone if it is a power, and not a magic weapon?




    Not serious part:

    OH MY THOR!!!! I've figured it out!!! I know who and what this guy is. Listen to the song:

    "When Captain Dwarf strikes with his mighty sword,
    All those who chose to oppose cannot utter a word.
    If he's led to a fight and a duel is due,
    Then the black and the white and the blue'll come through.
    When Captain Dwarf strikes with his mighty sword."
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

    "I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron L View Post
    Plus a possible "out of the blue" pun could be another reason for all the blue, as well.
    I'll bet two coppers on that.

    @D.One: wow, you just got me to flash back to about 1968, cartoons on TV.
    Nice job.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-05-16 at 08:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

  7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Pretty sure those horns are just on the helmet, rather than protruding out of it.
    My opinion is they’re actual horns.

    My opinion, plus $2.73, will get you a small burnt too-hot-but-somehow-stale coffee at Starbucks.

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Pretty sure those horns are just on the helmet, rather than protruding out of it. It's not an uncommon design in the comic. Tarquin had a horned helmet at one point. Hilgya has one now.
    The base of Hilgya's horns is flat against the helmet. This guy's has a strange circular pattern around the base that, within the limitations of stick-figure drawings - is suggesting the horns poke through the helmet rather than being glued to it.

    A quick search for Tarquin's horned helmet was not successful on my part, but if someone can link it for me, that' be nice.

    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Meridianville AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The base of Hilgya's horns is flat against the helmet. This guy's has a strange circular pattern around the base that, within the limitations of stick-figure drawings - is suggesting the horns poke through the helmet rather than being glued to it.

    A quick search for Tarquin's horned helmet was not successful on my part, but if someone can link it for me, that' be nice.

    Grey Wolf
    I'm not sure, there are spikes on his helmet in
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0911.html

    But I wouldn't call those horns. Is there a hornier helmet?

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    hroşila's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Here it is, and also here.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2019-05-16 at 11:35 AM.
    ungelic is us

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Here it is, and also here.
    The latter (in the new drawing style) looks like Hilgya's, and unlike NotThad's, so I standa by my personal opinion that the little semicircle at the base of the horns in NotThad's helmet indicates a hole in the helmet to push them through.

    (As to how that works physically, I'd imagine in the same way that Roy puts on his armour - i.e. there are hinges not visible in the drawing style)

    Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-16 at 12:31 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    @D.One: wow, you just got me to flash back to about 1968, cartoons on TV.
    Nice job.
    Thanks. My mind went there too. (I'm kind of a psychic time traveller)
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

    "I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Wizard_Lizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The material plane (duh?)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    He could e art minotaur art dwarf to explain the horns.
    Current characters:
    Drakirr (Blue Dragonborn Warlock)
    Alyfyldyr Hyalythki (Rock Gnome Wizard)
    Harilidir (Hald-elf Bard)
    Kazaharad Akaztkl (Goliath Barbarian)
    Luft (air-genasi druid)
    And of course Lizard Wizard (Lizardfolk Sorcerer)

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I see you're unfamiliar with the Oxford Dorukans.
    Are they anything like the Oxford Commas?

    Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Is it just me or does that guy look like one of the two adventurers that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Durkon almost recruited for the Order of the Stick before Roy vetoed it, not realizing who they were? The ones who then went on to storm the gates of the hells out of boredom. From the Prequel comic who's name escapes me?
    You're not the first person to mention it, but I don't see what the point would be.

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Are they anything like the Oxford Commas?
    No, those are similar to the Oxford Vegetative States.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    the little semicircle at the base of the horns in NotThad's helmet indicates a hole in the helmet to push them through.
    I think that's supposed to be a mount or bezel of some kind. At this level of detail, I'd expect a hole through which a horn is protruding to actually be shown with an infinitesimal gap, which there isn't.
    You, who have nothing at all to believe in; to you, whose motto is "money comes first;" who are you, to tell us that our lives have been wasted? That all that we've fought for has turned into dust?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm jumping on the Zim bandwagon.
    Human stick-figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find more here.

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    I think that's supposed to be a mount or bezel of some kind. At this level of detail, I'd expect a hole through which a horn is protruding to actually be shown with an infinitesimal gap, which there isn't.
    I kept being unable to phrase what I was thinking, so I'm very pleased that you managed to do it for me. Yeah, I think it's decorative and not indicative of biological horns.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    This is way, way, out there, but could he be War?

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Fish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Galliant View Post
    War?
    Huh.

    What is it good for?
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Huh.

    What is it good for?
    Say it again?

  21. - Top - End - #321
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Galliant View Post
    This is way, way, out there, but could he be War?
    I don't know, but he surely has the Monopoly of our attention for now...

    (For non-brazilians: War is the name of the brazilian version of Risk, which is itself a translation of a french game called La Conquite deu Monde)
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

    "I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I don't know, but he surely has the Monopoly of our attention for now.
    Which makes for nice misdirection, if the monsters are also paying more attention to him than to, say, Roy or Vaarsuvius.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

  23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Which makes for nice misdirection, if the monsters are also paying more attention to him than to, say, Roy or Vaarsuvius.
    To Roy. SR 31 on the nightcrawler, and being an elf, mean she's basically a non-factor for this fight, and probably the remainder of the book.
    You, who have nothing at all to believe in; to you, whose motto is "money comes first;" who are you, to tell us that our lives have been wasted? That all that we've fought for has turned into dust?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm jumping on the Zim bandwagon.
    Human stick-figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find more here.

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    To Roy. SR 31 on the nightcrawler, and being an elf, mean she's basically a non-factor for this fight, and probably the remainder of the book.
    Wait, I thought you hated Wizards. Elves as well, now? Are you going to despise the color pink and ponytails too?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-05-17 at 07:49 AM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wait, I thought you hated Wizards. Elves as well, now? Are you going to despise the color pink and ponytails too?
    It's best to think of Zim as a RL version of Shadwell:
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens
    Shadwell hated all southerners and, by inference, was standing at the North Pole.
    Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-17 at 07:55 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground
     
    zimmerwald1915's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wait, I thought you hated Wizards. Elves as well, now? Are you going to despise the color pink and ponytails too?
    As an elf, she can't pass the orange barrier.

    Neither can the humans and halfling, but at least Roy and Elan (through Roy) can make themselves matter in the fight with the nightcrawler. As a wizard who uses SR: yes spells, Vaarsuvius cannot. Neither can Haley or Belkar.
    You, who have nothing at all to believe in; to you, whose motto is "money comes first;" who are you, to tell us that our lives have been wasted? That all that we've fought for has turned into dust?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm jumping on the Zim bandwagon.
    Human stick-figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find more here.

  27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    As an elf, she can't pass the orange barrier.

    Neither can the humans and halfling, but at least Roy and Elan (through Roy) can make themselves matter in the fight with the nightcrawler. As a wizard who uses SR: yes spells, Vaarsuvius cannot. Neither can Haley or Belkar.
    Apologies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It's best to think of Zim as a RL version of Shadwell:


    Grey Wolf
    Nah, I don't think zimmerwald1915 sees himself as better than everybody else.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-05-20 at 02:50 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Nah, I don't think zimmerwald1910 sees himself as better than everybody else.
    I don't think Shadwell did either. As usual with Pratchett, Shadwell is so indiscriminate in his discrimination, the idea is he goes full circle and comes back to a strange form of equality, since they find fault in everyone, regardless.

    Vimes has the same characteristic - sure, he hates the undead. But he also hates dwarves and trolls and humans, if they cause him to have to come over and do his job. He tended to prefer dwarves early on, because whatever crimes they committed he didn't hear about... until in later books he does start hearing about said crimes.

    Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-17 at 08:59 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Yeah in the end I don’t see Shadwell as hateful as that quote makes him to be, just tremendously grumpy. Which does fit, Zimmer, now that I think about it.

    So I agree with the Shadwell comparison but not with the quote.

    As for Vimes, there’s a strong element of self-loathing in there, which becomes an important plot point comes Night Watch and, especially, Thud.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yeah in the end I don’t see Shadwell as hateful as that quote makes him to be, just tremendously grumpy. Which does fit, Zimmer, now that I think about it.

    So I agree with the Shadwell comparison but not with the quote.
    Huh. That's not how I read the quote at all. As I see it, what is being said is that while the person may say they "hates southeners", the quote is telling you that you can infer they must be standing in the North pole, because in fact they hate everyone. I.e. that is not racism, but general distrust of humanity as a whole.

    In short, the quote is an assurance of the text that despite sounding racist, Shadwell is not racist. Just a curmudgeon. Oh, and the self-loathing is crucial: there is a difference between hating everyone because they aren't you, and hating everyone, including yourself, for not being as good as they could be.

    Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-17 at 09:39 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •