Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Huh. That's not how I read the quote at all. As I see it, what is being said is that while the person may say they "hates southeners", the quote is telling you that you can infer they must be standing in the North pole, because in fact they hate everyone. I.e. that is not racism, but general distrust of humanity as a whole.

Grey Wolf
    I thought the inference was that dude can be inferred to be at the North Pole because he wants to be as far away from southerners as possible, since I don't read "southerners" as "people south of me," but rather "people from the south."
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    All hail the dragon.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I thought the inference was that dude can be inferred to be at the North Pole because he wants to be as far away from southerners as possible, since I don't read "southerners" as "people south of me," but rather "people from the south."
    The difference in that reading is what the joke is.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. That's not how I read the quote at all. As I see it, what is being said is that while the person may say they "hates southeners", the quote is telling you that you can infer they must be standing in the North pole, because in fact they hate everyone. I.e. that is not racism, but general distrust of humanity as a whole.

In short, the quote is an assurance of the text that despite sounding racist, Shadwell is not racist. Just a curmudgeon. Oh, and the self-loathing is crucial: there is a difference between hating everyone because they aren't you, and hating everyone, including yourself, for not being as good as they could be.

Grey Wolf
    Yes, I understand that the aim of the joke is ‘hates everyone equally’, the thing is if you stand at the North Pole, you are the only one not in the south.
    In context it goes like ‘‘Shadwell hates people from the South, therefore wherever Shadwell is at the moment is the North Pole because he hates everybody’’. It helps that Shadwell keep calling all sorts of people Southerners.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

4. - Top - End - #334
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm pretty sure the "by inference, was standing at the North Pole" thing was about the way Shadwell calls literally everyone he interacts with or thinks about "Southern bastard" or "Southern pillock," regardless of where they actually come from.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    In context
    Judging by all the replies, that is the most important phrase, I'm guessing.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    All hail the dragon.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Judging by all the replies, that is the most important phrase, I'm guessing.
    Context, Timing, Empathy, Coherence, Respect and Common Sense. The six new Infinity Stones.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Context, Timing, Empathy, Coherence, Respect and Common Sense. The six new Infinity Stones.
    Traits that would create utopia, if everyone had them, for 500, Alex.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    I find it amusing that Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law's neice's fiance told Durkon that but not his name.[...]
    Someone else might have pointed it out by now (sorry if so) but they had mentioned him speaking to his mother (off panel) all this time.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

To the people who say that Roy rushing the worm is a bad idea: You do remember that he has the Spellsplinter maneuver, right? If he can only use that in melee range (which seems to be the case based on the last battle), then it makes sense to want to neutralize the worm's magic, especially if he's unaware of its other abilities.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I feel like we'll be seeing a recreation of Jonah and the Whale soon. Especially if Durkon pops a Death Ward on him.

11. - Top - End - #341

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo360 View Post
    To the people who say that Roy rushing the worm is a bad idea: You do remember that he has the Spellsplinter maneuver, right? If he can only use that in melee range (which seems to be the case based on the last battle), then it makes sense to want to neutralize the worm's magic, especially if he's unaware of its other abilities.
    Which may or may not work on spell-like abilities.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

At this point I feel like I have to read the Prachett novels to improve my enjoyment of this forums. Well there goes my winter I guess.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pampukin View Post
    At this point I feel like I have to read the Prachett novels to improve my enjoyment of this forums.
    Not to mention treatises on various branches of mathematics, obscure D&D splatbooks, histories of European royalty, philosophies both ancient and modern...
    Last edited by eaglewingz; 2019-05-19 at 12:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

At this point I feel like I have to read the Prachett novels to improve my enjoyment of this forums.
    It's spelled "everything, ever", not "forums".
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-05-19 at 12:53 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #345
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

The inverse is also true of course: Enjoyment of PTerry is enhanced by knowing all the stuff he's sending up (or quite often playing straight).

On a completely different tangent, really enjoyed the way the characters in this strip add depth and colour to the scene: we know it's a pre- climax battle but there's still something new and fun going on.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Apologies if I missed it, but is it possible Darkhornmet is a dwarf paladin of some sort? I admit my guess isn't great; the Azure City paladins are probably the only paladins with the blue text bubbles.
    I recant. Totes misremembered.
    edited for brainfail
    Last edited by slowplay; 2019-05-19 at 05:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slowplay View Post
    Apologies if I missed it, but is it possible Darkhornmet is a dwarf paladin of some sort? I admit my guess isn't great; the Azure City paladins are probably the only paladins with the blue text bubbles.
    Come again?

Where does Miko, Hinjo, Lien, O-Chul, or Thahn have a blue text bubble?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    So has Celia...
    I guess, we'll see more of Cbilnf. It feels too much like a deus ex machina to just have him being a part of the family... Plus he doesn't give his name...
    What are the chances of Thad also being related to Celia in some way? I think Elan would approve.

19. - Top - End - #349

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewingz View Post
    Not to mention treatises on various branches of mathematics, obscure D&D splatbooks, histories of European royalty, philosophies both ancient and modern...
    I think you spelled "The Star Wars Expanded Universe" wrong...

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dilvish View Post
    What are the chances of Thad also being related to Celia in some way? I think Elan would approve.
    Likely 0.

NotThad, on the other hand...

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-19 at 10:35 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

21. - Top - End - #351
    Dwarf in the Playground

What kind of a sword does this guy have anyway? Looks like some kind of ghost sword...
    Also, did the sword cut down the elemental, or did the new guy just smash it with his horns?

22. - Top - End - #352
    Barbarian in the Playground

At this point I feel like I have to read the Prachett novels to improve my enjoyment of this forums. Well there goes my winter I guess.
    te good thing woth me is that I had already read most of terry pratchett when O joined the fprum.
    Current characters:
    Drakirr (Blue Dragonborn Warlock)
    Alyfyldyr Hyalythki (Rock Gnome Wizard)
    Harilidir (Hald-elf Bard)
    Kazaharad Akaztkl (Goliath Barbarian)
    Luft (air-genasi druid)
    And of course Lizard Wizard (Lizardfolk Sorcerer)

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Or, TP could be a popular hack whose writings are irrelevant to the vast bulk of humanity.

(I do have on my list for Summer Reading Guards, Guards).
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Or, TP could be a popular hack whose writings are irrelevant to the vast bulk of humanity.
    This is certainly true.

But it is true for every author, ever, seeing as the vast bulk of humanity had better things to do than read, given that written language hadn't been invented, and they were at constant danger of starvation, sickness, hypothermia and being mauled by other predators, amongst other considerations.

Limiting it to living people today, still probably true for every author ever, though.

Grey Wolf
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

This is certainly true.

But it is true for every author, ever, seeing as the vast bulk of humanity had better things to do than read, given that written language hadn't been invented, and they were at constant danger of starvation, sickness, hypothermia and being mauled by other predators, amongst other considerations.

Limiting it to living people today, still probably true for every author ever, though.

Grey Wolf
    For his sake, I do hope that he's better than L Ron Hubbard, one of whose novels I read back in the 1980's. (One of the Battlefield Earth books, vol 1 or 2 that I picked up at a garage sale). Didn't make the same mistake twice. If he's better than Terry Goodkind that would be nice. Wizard's First Rule was all I could stomach of that.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-05-20 at 01:16 PM.
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

For his sake, I do hope that he's better than L Ron Hubbard, one of whose novels I read back in the 1980's. (One of the Battlefield Earth books, vol 1 or 2 that I picked up at a garage sale). Didn't make the same mistake twice. If he's better than Terry Goodkind that would be nice. Wizard's First Rule was all I could stomach of that.
    Well, if all you're going to give me is bars to jump over so low that earthworms can pass them without surfacing, that is certainly an easy answer. Yes, Pratchett is better than Hubbard, and probably better than Goodkind, from all I've heard of them.

That said, you do need to remember you are about to read parody, satire and humour. It's not really directly comparable to either of those. I prefer Pratchett to, say, Douglas Adams, though.

(also, I'd hope there is a middle ground between "Hubbard" and "writings are relevant to the vast bulk of humanity")

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-20 at 11:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Barbarian in the Playground

(I do have on my list for Summer Reading Guards, Guards).
    He'd be the first to admit it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters
    This book was written using 100% recycled words.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Nah, I don't think zimmerwald1910 sees himself as better than everybody else.
    Charitable reading, I tip my cap to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm pretty sure the "by inference, was standing at the North Pole" thing was about the way Shadwell calls literally everyone he interacts with or thinks about "Southern bastard" or "Southern pillock," regardless of where they actually come from.
    It would seem to be along the lines of Linus van Pelt's infamous "I love humanity, it's just people I can't stand" comic strip. (One of Shulz's more wry comics).
    That said, you do need to remember you are about to read parody, satire and humour.
    It's not really directly comparable to either of those. I prefer Pratchett to, say, Douglas Adams, though.
    I read HHGttG (in 1981) but could not get more than a chapter or two into book two before I had to put it down. My brother heard most of the series in the medium for which I suspect it was intended: on radio. He loved it.
    I'd hope there is a middle ground between "Hubbard" and "writings are relevant to the vast bulk of humanity"
    Wait, Dyanetics isn't non fiction? I kid

Parody and Satire are hard to do well - I think I may be old enough to sort out the kinds of allusions TP will make, but I am sure I'll miss some due to being on the wrong side of the pond.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-05-20 at 01:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Parody and Satire are hard to do well - I think I may be old enough to sort out the kinds of allusions TP will make, but I am sure I'll miss some due to being on the wrong side of the pond.
    l-space is your friend.

Grey Wolf

30. - Top - End - #360
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Would the writings of Terry Pratchett be of at least equal quality to say, the majority of Shakespeare's plays, Homer's epics, Dante's Divine Comedy, or Tolkien's Legendarium? Also, feel free to add other works to this list of Greats. What I suppose I'm getting at, is Pratchett a member of the greatest writers of all time (or at least scince 5000 B.C.E)?