New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D 5e Base Class Contest VII Chat Thread

This is a continuation of Requilac's contests, done with Requilac's permission per the chat thread here.

Welcome to the chat thread for the Base Class Competitions for D&D 5e. If you wish to say anything about the competition which is neither a submission nor a vote, then it belongs here. You do not need to be a contestant to post here. You are allowed to critique a competitor’s work and offer suggestions on how to improve their homebrew through this thread, but it is preferred if you do so through that class’ specific thread (if applicable).

Current Contest: Remix Mastery

Spoiler: Former Competitions
    Show
    1st contest: Who Needs Swords or Sorcery?, won by WarrentheHero with the Inventor

2nd contest: Expect a low Margin of Terror, Won by Mourne with the Sleepwalker

3rd Contest: The Elements, and not the Periodic Ones (Probably?), won By Pygmybatrider with The Shaman

4th contest: Does Not Meet Expectations, won with a tie by Molemage with the Destined and Pygmybatrider's Mesmer

5th contest: Time to Chill out, won by Molemage with the Wintreborn

6th contest: The Monster Mash, won with a three-way tie by Molemage with the Golem, theVoidWatches with the Lycanthrope, and daemonaetae with the Elemental Scion

Spoiler: Contest Rules
    Show

1) The class you homebrew should fit the theme. You can interpret the theme as broadly as you like without risk of disqualification, but doing so may reduce your chances of earning votes during the voting period.
    2) You may only create one base class. If you create more than one class then you must choose which one to enter and remove all the others from this thread and the contest (making them invalid) . If you do not specify which one you favor by the time voting begins, all of your content is invalid.
    3) When you submit your class you must create a post on this thread which either has the content or holds a link to it. You may also optionally create one other individual thread for your class on the homebrew design sub-forum. If it is found that you have revealed your class on another site or on another thread than one on the homebrew design sub-forum, your entry will be considered invalid. If you do make a specific thread for you class, please mention its involvement to the competition in that thread. If you use external formatting resources such as Homebrewery, or GMBinder it is recommended that you also create a PDF of the content and share it here.
    4) You may use other homebrew content (such as feats, spells, magical items and monsters) or even features to supplement your class, provided you have permission from the original creator and provide links to the source. Failure to receive permission from the original creation will disqualify you from entry in the current contest.
    5) Your class must have fully completed mechanics and descriptions for it to be valid. Entries are due by 11:59 PM Central Time on the deadline. Any submissions after this point are invalid. No changes can be made to your class while voting is taking place. Failure to comply with the previous rule will result in disqualification.
    6) Any content which has been declared invalid by the rules above cannot be voted for, but you may decide to remove it from the contest and create another class instead. If you are disqualified then you are not allowed to enter any more homebrew for this competition, though you may still vote and later enter the next competition.
    7) Please note that misunderstandings occur, if you break a rule which results in disqualification it might be excused if you can convince the group that it was a result of confusion over the rules.

Contests stay up for 8 weeks unless an extension is requested by participants. Voting threads then go up for 2 weeks before the next contest begins.

Spoiler: Suggested Themes
    Show

Time
    Dragons
    Magic Without Slots
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-05-28 at 08:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Base Class Contest Chat Thread

Regarding the contest chat threads, my preference is to have one continuous chat thread across multiple contests. However, the existing format for this contest is to have a new thread with each contest, ensuring that feedback and discussion are easily found, so I'd like to get some preferences from participants. Also any new theme suggestions so we can have a larger pool to vote on in 8 weeks would be great.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: D&D 5e Base Class Contest VII Chat Thread

What would you call it if I used the theme of studying magic to fight it But I used renamed and reflavored eldritch invocations and favored enemy? And possibly other features from those and other classes?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    What would you call it if I used the theme of studying magic to fight it But I used renamed and reflavored eldritch invocations and favored enemy? And possibly other features from those and other classes?
    Of the three categories I described in the submission thread, I would call this an Alternate (Same/similar features, remixed theme). Outside of those probably-to-narrow definitions I would consider it a Hybrid though (which could be its own category entirely).
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Well, its geared to feel like kinda like a warlock, with special abilities gained through study that aren't magic. Now, its not very rangery, it just has a feature that have that kinda feel to them. It'll make more sense when I actually get the first version posted. But thank you for the classification advice! I'll be sure to call it an alternate when its posted
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2019-05-13 at 07:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not even a little ready to start actually writing anything for Remix Mastery because I'm currently embroiled in tech week for a show, but here's my very vague thoughts on some possibilities for remastered classes - not sure which I'll do yet.

Barbarian: something with building up rage points and expending it - your rage lasts for as long as you have rage points. Starting a rage starts you out with a handful of points, and there are things which will get you more - taking damage will definitely do it, and other than that I think each subclass would have a different way. Maybe one is geared towards protection and you get rage points when your allies take damage - maybe one is geared toward aggression and you get rage points when you hit an enemy - maybe one gives you points when you miss an attack? You spend points in probably one or two default ways and one or two exclusive to each subclass, as well - there's definitely a way to spend them to deal damage, other stuff tbd. You probably lose 1 rage point every round you do nothing, otherwise they'd go on forever.

Bard: similar to the barbarian, it would be about building up points and spending them - in the bard's case, music points. I'm thinking they get some kind of feature called chords, which are like simple cantrip things, and some kind of feature called melodies. Chords do things on their own, but they also build up music points, which you can spend on a melody. In my head it works like this: you start playing a melody called Harmonious Melody, which lets you spend one kind of point to heal your allies. Every round that you play a chord which is eligible for Harmonious Melody (not all chords will work for all melodies), you can end the melody and trigger its effect to heal, which gets stronger the more points you've built up. If you lose concentration on the melody, you don't get the effect. Not sure if melodies will quickly get very powerful (as befits something that takes multiple rounds to cast) or if some will be weaker and cheaper. You might get to play more chords in a single round as you level up, which would let you trigger melodies faster and build up to more expensive effects. Subclass-wise, there would be an exclusive melody for each subclass. This seems complicated though so I'm leaning away from it.

Cleric: Not sure how I would redo a cleric tbh, they seem pretty ideal for their theme already. Maybe make their domain more important? That's not a real change though. I'll just pass cleric by.

Druid: Again, not sure what I could do with a druid.

Fighter: I could rebuild the whole fighter class to use something more akin to maneuvers from 3.5's Book of Nine Swords. Spell-like powers that you use on a short rest. Basic list plus some exclusive to subclasses. The problem with that is, again, complexity - it would end up requiring more than just the class itself, it would need a whole 9-level list of powers, which is just too much. A simpler way of handling it would be to just make a basic set for the base class and have subclasses that give you more specialized one - one for Iron Mind, one for Setting Sun, etc - which seems more workable.

Monk: Monks are pretty ideal for what they do already, no need to mess with them at all.

Paladin: I could build a much more aura-focused paladin. Say, instead of getting spells at all, they get an increasing number of aura abilities and slots for their aura. At level 1 you get to use an aura at first level - at level 5 you have two slots, so you can use two first level auras or one of them at second level - and so on. I think some auras require more slots for even their low levels - like, maybe there's an expensive high-leveled aura that gives your allies advantage, while a lower level aura that only takes 1 slot just gives everyone 10 feet more of speed. I think that the radius of the aura tends to increase with how many slots you spend on them, but this could get confusing if you have multiple auras at different ranges, so maybe instead it'll just increase with your level. Smites can be worked in by letting you burn out aura slots to deal massive additional damage on hit, and that slot would open up again after a rest. Not sure if short rest or long rest - maybe long rest to get burnt slots back, short rest to change your aura load-out? Subclasses would each get an exclusive aura option or two.

Ranger: to be honest, I don't understand what the ranger is going for well enough to feel confident attempting a remaster.

Rogue: Rogues being non-magical limits them in a lot of ways. I could either focus on the thievery aspect or the skill monkey aspect, but neither really suggests anything off-hand to me. I might come back with an idea in a few days but for now I'll pass it by.

Sorcerer: Sorcerers want a much more natural kind of power than warlocks or wizards. I could try writing a con-based sorcerer class that uses their sorcerer hit dice as a resource, with the idea being that channeling the magic is dangerous for them/they're using their own vital energies. Instead of getting spells normally they would have something akin to my YAWR warlock's suite of powers to spend them on, but more powerful because they have a limited resource. Alternatively they could get spellcasting and the hit dice are spent to boost their powers. Not sure here, but there are definitely some ideas percolating.

Warlock: Already did this, not going to do it again.

Wizard: Wizards as they are are pretty generalist no matter what you do. Perhaps we could make a more focused wizard? We'll still allow copying all wizard spells into your list, but your base spell list is much smaller - each subclass increases it. Classic spells are often limited to their respective school of magic - Fireball is evoker-only, for example. The subclasses would also give more features, essentially making you an Evoker instead of an evocation wizard, or a Diviner instead of a divination wizard, and so on - your specialty school takes the lead.

Having talked through my rough thoughts, I'm leaning towards a rage-point based Barbarian or an aura-focused Paladin.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm planning on doing Warlock 2.0

Fix blade boon, turn chain into a true summoner, give book better casting options. Get those ****ty invocation up to par and avoid as many "invocation tax" as possible. Maybe even increase modularity. Hexblade is gone for sure, but his abilities will live somehow.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm likely going to do Cleric or Bard, mostly because I've been joking to my table that as soon as I make a primary healer we'll be able to fill a standard four person party with only classes I've made for this contest (Warrior is Golem/Destined, Mage is Alchemist, Rogue is Spiritcaller/Wintreborn/Destined). Technically I think my Alchemist fits better as the Jack so probably going to have to do a proper mage next time too.

As for mechanics, I haven't decided yet. If I'm doing a proper healer I should probably stick to conventional spellcasting but making new class systems is so fun.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Just posted the Arcanic Researcher class, let me Know what you think and what I should change/add.
    Note, I still need to finish subclasses and Arcanic Discoveries, ideas are appreciated.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

I wanted to do the version of Warlock that world of warcraft has with Shadow Bolt as Eldritch Blast and lots of demon pets but it's been done before so many times...

Went with something people have been talking about recently in other threads.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I am doing a variant/remastered ranger. A ranger that fights vampires should feel different than one that fights giants. A ranger used to mountains should feel different than one that lives on the coasts. But structurally, it will be inspired from the warlocks distribution of choices between patron, pact, and invocations. They won't get spell-casting directly.

You will choose your prey as your archetype. It will not be that you get +2 dmg vs undead. For example, you will get advantage vs all breath attacks if dragons are your prey and you will be able to add a die equal to a monsters hit die on your damage if giants/titans are your prey. This is inspired from the parts of the hunter and monster slayer that I like.

You choose the terrain types that you are used to which will give you thematic bonuses. If you are used to mountains, you get a climbing speed and if you are used to deserts, you are better at always finding food and drink.

Lastly, the tricks you learned from nature. Each trick is a focus package around one thing. One gives some healing options, another is about antidote, and one is about tracking. So far these contains ritual spell casting of specific spells, mini-druid-magic initiates, and features from current ranger sub-classes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

So about the rules, just to make sure, we can post our class under a single thread located on the homebrew section here, but we have to say its in this contest? I'm hoping that's right But I won't post anything till that's confirmed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    So about the rules, just to make sure, we can post our class under a single thread located on the homebrew section here, but we have to say its in this contest? I'm hoping that's right But I won't post anything till that's confirmed.
    That is correct. If you could also add a link to the thread in your submission post and a link to this contest in the thread that is preferable.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

I'm considering revamping fighter, but only changing the fighting styles and archetypes. Of course, that's everything a fighter gets besides second wind, action surge, indomitable, extra attacks, and ability score increases.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Posted my first draft of an anger point barbarian. Haven't taken the time to format it nicely yet, just wanted to get something out there.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

One quick bit of help for entries in general: there are pre-formatted tables available in this thread linked in the Notable Threads sticky for a variety of editions. Homebrewery.com and GMBinder.com also both have auto-generating class tables and a number of markup formatting options designed to mimic the PHB.

The following links are the posts which contain preformatted tables for 5th Ed. specifically:

One Feature Column, Special Column after features

Two Special Columns, Three Special Columns, Full Caster (Prepared)

Full Caster (Spells Known), Half Caster (Prepared)

Half Caster(Spells Known), Pact Magic, 1/3rd caster spell table (for subclasses)
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-05-20 at 12:37 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    As for mechanics, I haven't decided yet. If I'm doing a proper healer I should probably stick to conventional spellcasting but making new class systems is so fun.
    I couldn't stop myself. I haven't posted it yet because it's mostly an outline right now, but I am now doing a Variant Cleric (tentatively called the Theurge) using an alternate magic system that I have previously rough drafted called Sorcery (for which I will naturally also make a Sorcerer variant of unknown name). Functionally, it's fairly similar to the Mystic's Psionics in that every Sorcery has an ongoing effect and one or more activated effects, but instead of using a point system it uses what I am calling Surges, which roll a set of dice and do something with the resulting total. The number of surges and size of the dice pool increase with your levels in sorcery granting classes (ranging from 2 to 5 uses and from 2d8 to 10d8 in my rough draft).

Once I get a first draft up to 20 with at least a couple of Sorceries and one subclass I'll post it and give specific reviews for the classes posted already. Should be sometime this week.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, the first draft of the theurge is up with all attached subclasses and one attached "sorcery" (my new class mechanic; plans to expand into a sorcerer remake called the Wilder, a half-sorcerous martial called the Cultist, and subclasses for barbarian and monk that are third-sorcerous, plus maybe a warlock pact that grants them pseudo-sorcery).

Expect feedback on your classes tomorrow or Saturday!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Daemon

Crazy strong classes. Barbarian one is basically immortal once he gets Relentless Rage and the Theurge is a god when he gains Miracle.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyutaru View Post
    Crazy strong classes. Barbarian one is basically immortal once he gets Relentless Rage and the Theurge is a god when he gains Miracle.
    Would reducing Miracle to 1/week be better? I might even remove Miracle and Godly vigor entirely; a lot of the sorceries will have tier upgrades, so much like standard cleric the theurge will have tier upgrades built into their magic system.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Relentless Rage is meant to be like the Zealot's thing, but in retrospect you're right. I've edited to make it only work during a rage, and to prevent you from gaining anger points off of the damage that triggers it. That should prevent it from working infinitely (get anger points by taking damage, use them to stay at 0 HP).

22. - Top - End - #22

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Would reducing Miracle to 1/week be better? I might even remove Miracle and Godly vigor entirely; a lot of the sorceries will have tier upgrades, so much like standard cleric the theurge will have tier upgrades built into their magic system.
    It might, yeah, though might be cool to have it not always worth either. Beseech thy god and hope he answers. The two pricklers are negating immunities for a minute and causing the creature to autofail a save (unless legendary saves still prevent it).

Quote Originally Posted by theVoidWatches View Post
    Relentless Rage is meant to be like the Zealot's thing, but in retrospect you're right. I've edited to make it only work during a rage, and to prevent you from gaining anger points off of the damage that triggers it. That should prevent it from working infinitely (get anger points by taking damage, use them to stay at 0 HP).
    Yeah I saw the party damaged path and was like... "So every time I fireball the party, the Barbarian survives another dragon's full legendary attacks."
    Last edited by Kyutaru; 2019-05-23 at 11:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

It might, yeah, though might be cool to have it not always worth either. Beseech thy god and hope he answers. The two pricklers are negating immunities for a minute and causing the creature to autofail a save (unless legendary saves still prevent it).
    Legendary saves should still work. I'll double check the wording on legendary saves and make sure this doesn't override them, but consider that the intended balance point.
    Resistances and immunities should only be damage resistance and immunity, not conditions (will fix that). It's pretty niche; most of those that exist are already either A: negated by using magic weapons or B: bypassed by just using a different spell (or now, a different sorcery).

What I'm really interested in hearing at this stage how the sorcery mechanic (not the balance since only one is up right now) looks as an alternate rule. I think I have the core pretty well where I want it (Passive/Free Active features that can swap out on the fly, Powerful Active Features on shared resource), and I hope to smooth any kinks out during this class's development so I can put together some additional classes on the same mechanic.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah I saw the party damaged path and was like... "So every time I fireball the party, the Barbarian survives another dragon's full legendary attacks."
    That one is only once per turn! Not quite that strong. The only way to get more than one anger point at once should be to take 20+ damage in a single hit.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Feedback time!

Spoiler: Arcanic Researcher
    Show

You've forgotten to specify in your entry which base class you are remixing. It seems to be Warlock but without pact magic?

• The formatting of the HP/proficiency/equipment block could use some bolding to make it easier to read.
    • The table looks good from my desktop browser, but strange from my phone due to text wrapping.I recommend formatting this as an actual table if possible.
    • It needs a feature for 6th level.

• Does Arcanic Thief allow you to use spells you know from other sources (Such as magic initiate or multiclassing) with those spell slots, or is it just energy for fueling features? Is it limited (typically 5e limits slots above 5th level).
    • Arcanic Thief runs into an issue where your class resource is highly dependent on fighting a specific type of enemy (spellcaster) in order to function properly. Giving the class some built-in ability to use their features without stealing slots would be good.

• Preferred magical foe: Missing its bold. I think simple "resistance to damage caused by spells of that school" would be cleaner than the special not-resistance halved damage; with advantage on saves you're making them all the time. Right now, evocation is probably the most valuable pick, simply because of synergy with Arcane Evasion (though that's so far in I might pick it as my 15th level choice and get Enchantment early on for the saving throw bonuses).
    • Arcanic Discoveries are fine, pending the full list.

• Magic Manipulation: This coming at level 2 means that the Researcher has nothing to do with stolen spell slots for their first level of play. I would either move Thief to here or swap Manipulation and Preferred Magical Foe's positions.
    • Arcane Strike: Divine Smite and Eldritch Smite are both 1d8, this could probably be 1d8 also (especially considering that the Researcher doesn't even have something else to do with these and that the dice pool is smaller than Divine/Eldritch based on spell level).
    • Arcane Healing: It's probably fine. As with all spell slot features, the dependence on stolen slots worries me, but this one also gives me pause because there's no upper limit to the number of slots you can steal.

• Magical Preparedness: It seems odd to have this be so specifically about illusions given that the class gets to pick what kinds of magic it hates most. Maybe put a school specific benefit here for each of your Preferred Foes? Each would need to be smaller than this, but it would fit the theme better for me.
    • Use Magic Device: Perfect as is. A great way to include an old favorite from 3.5.
    • Arcanic Evasion: Fine. Kinda weak for a level 18 feature considering it's worse than regular evasion and that's level 6-7. The class table mistakenly has it at level 17 (or maybe the description mistakenly has it at 18).
    • Antimagic Training: When do you get your uses back for this feature? Otherwise it looks fine. Not an overwhelming capstone, but it's okay (10 third level spells each day is nothing to sneeze at).

Overall, it's off to a good start, but it could use some polish and overall it seems a little low on oomph combat-wise. My key complaint is how specialized it is; give it more tools to handle itself in combat against non-magic-using foes (it doesn't need to be great, just needs to have something interesting to contribute) and it'll be a good theme.

Spoiler: Stonehenge Druid
    Show

An interesting take. Are there any adjustments to the druid spell list (as they get very little natively to do with undeath) to go along with this?
    Health, Proficiencies, Equipment all fine (should be, as it's base druid).

• Sacrificial Servant: I have three primary concerns. The first is that this feature effectively duplicates Animate Dead, but at will and with fewer requirements, three levels before any other class can use that spell. The second is that as written, the skeleton just acts with no input from the druid. I would suggest requiring at least a bonus action to control them (like Animate Dead does). The third is that the damage increase gets multiplied in addition to getting larger. A smaller concern is the slowdown of play involved in controlling the skeletons, but if you want a necromantic class that's a risk that you have to take.
    • Watcher of the Way: Seems okay. The Ethereal Plane's rules in 5e are not something I'm super up to speed on though. Physical objects still have a presence there, right? You can't look through walls or something?
    • Traverser of the Threshold: Also seems okay. Druids don't really have a lot of local movement spells (other than polymorph and shapechange), so this also opens up a utility niche that wasn't previously available.
    • Guardian of the Gate: As with Traverser, this opens up a new movement option that druids normally can't access. The banishment part is a nice perk, but niche as it can only target undead.
    • Heirophant: Undead Nature is more harmful than helpful in a lot of ways (a lot of things that target undead differently are either beneficial things that don't work on them, or harmful things that work better on them. Make it optional (so the Druid can still use Cure Wounds on itself) and it's a good capstone.
    • Divination: Fine as is. Could be flashier as a level 20 ability.

Overall, the balance of the features other than Sacrificial Servant is fine. Sacrificial Servant is available too cheaply and too often at the moment (giving it a usage cooldown after they die would be a good start).

Circle of the Ancients
    • Keeper of the Underworld: Fine. A little bland as a 2nd level feature by itself.
    • Defender of the Balance: It says you learn Inflict Wounds, I assume this means you treat it as a Druid spell (as Druids, both classic and Stonehenge, are prepared casters)? It's fine in that case. Additionally, does Inflict Wounds still require an attack roll, and does Cure Wounds still not require one when used in their opposite fashions? It does make Undead Nature in the base class capstone a lot less penalizing, but unless all circles get a similar feature I retain my concerns above.
    • Harbinger of Life: Revivify might be a more compelling choice for always-prepared, due to the fact that Raise Dead's cost, casting time, and penalties ensure that the party basically needs to stop and take a break to use it anyway.

Spoiler: Anger Point Barbarian
    Show

Okay, this is a cool idea. Barbarians as a ramping class instead of a on-off switch.

Skipping straight to features...
    • Anger points are sometimes called rage points in your text; I assume you changed names at some point to distinguish from rage. I'm going to come back to anger points in a couple of dots after I talk about rage.
    • Rage: Personally, I would like to see Rage cut as a resource. Something along the lines of "While you possess X anger points, you are considered to be raging" (really anything where "rage" is a function of spending or available anger points) would be much more compelling as a mechanic for me. That said, I have a minor complexity addiction (as I'm sure you can tell), so if you like Rage as resource mixed with anger points as resource that's fine.
    • Rage/Anger Points: I think names for the active functions (spending points to roll extra damage dice, spending points to reduce damage taken, spending points to gain advantage) would be good. It's easier to say "I use Rage Strike" than "I use the function of my rage to add damage".
    • Back to anger points: The baseline generation mechanic is a little weak. I've gone entire sessions without critical hits at the table. I do appreciate that rages can last even if you don't attack by tying them to anger points, and that rages grant a baseline number of them (initially I missed that and wrote a whole thing about how you never can afford to use your points aggressively with just generation). Also, why is it limited to nonmagical damage? Standard Barbarian resistance is not limited to nonmagical.
    • Skimming past the support features that were cloned over to...
    • Brutal Critical: Finally a way to generate rage points on offense! But wait...it only lets you keep them in a rage. I don't really see how this is, outside of a rage, any different from standard brutal critical. And inside of a rage, I don't see much reason not to use it, especially once it gives 2 and 3 points instead of 1 as my baseline damage boost doesn't let me spend them in big stacks like that. I guess not spending (or underspending) would let me extend the rage a bit longer. I think letting it store points outside of rage would be fine (there's a built-in maximum already).
    • Feral Instinct is fine. It fits with the new mechanics. It's good that it got swapped with the path feature at 6 though given it is slightly more powerful.
    • Relentless Rage: As Kyutaru pointed out, this is very strong. A typical Anger Point barbarian would be able to use this 4 times per rage assuming they didn't save any of their extra point generation for it. Compare the original version of the feature, which was reliable for two uses, reasonable for maybe one more, and became outright impossible after four uses. It did reset on a short rest. I would give this a scaling cost similar to the original versions scaling chance. Maybe each time you use it, it costs 1 more rage point and the cost resets on a short/long rest?

In summary, I think that except for Relentless Rage's potential frequency of use this is in a good point balance wise, using standard barbarian as my comparison. It does burst damage a little better, but tanks hits a little worse overall by my first impression. As I mentioned in the second point though, I think that it would stand apart better if you distanced it from rage-as-resource.

Rage of the Body
    • Impotent Rage: Oddly, this encourages dual-wield barbarian, which I am okay with. The additional function of adding Con to bonus damage might be a bit strong though (potentially getting Con to damage 3/turn if you do go with the dual wield and spam reckless attack. Limit to 1/turn and it would be better.
    • Fueled by Rage: A good reset mechanic. Stacks well with gaining advantage.
    • Aggressive Rage: A good option for non-dual-wield barbarian, an okay option for it (they can add Str to this one)
    • Extra Attack (II): It does give the barbarian a concerning number of opportunities to deal 2d12+10 damage, but they also have an attached cost. I'm not sure on it.

Rage of the Heart
    • Vigilant Rage: This is better than Impotent Rage or Storming rage, because you can trigger it both more frequently and more reliably (especially in combination with basic Rage where you get points for getting hurt).
    • Protective Rage: A good defensive feature. The cost makes keeps it in line.
    • Protected by Rage: Aside from having a name too similar to Protective Rage, it's okay.
    • Shielding Body: A good little tank ability, especially since it doesn't take your reaction and you can then spend more points to negate your damage.

Rage of the Soul
    • Storming Rage: The points generated are probably pretty niche. A lot of things are just going to deal physical damage, and even the ones that don't might deal a different type of magic damage. Probably the weakest generation method of the three, but it makes up for it with solid riders.
    • Resistant Rage: It's a good feature, especially for always up.
    • Impeding Rage: It's good these don't stack with each other. I think all of them are good features, if a little unvaried (they all trigger based on different attack roll conditions).
    • Potent Rage: The excluding allies part comes a little later than I would like, but the areas before this increase are also quite small, so it's probably okay. As a subclass capstone, it isn't as good as Body or Heart, but Soul also gets a lot of out-of-rage benefits that the other two lack.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the in-depth feedback! I've updated to take into account many of your suggestions. A lot of stuff is now limited to once/turn, and I've also cut the stuff that would drain anger points outside of rages.

In regards to your suggestion about cutting rages entirely, I don't want to completely do away with them. Barbarians as they are have an on/off switch for their powerful abilities - I wanted to shift than into an on/off switch that primarily made your resource flow in and out faster. So, in a rage you have a bunch of extra ways to spend anger points, and you also have a new way to get them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Hey ya'll, spent all day working on my vision for the ranger. I really love Rangers and was bummed that they kind of got the shaft in 5e. This is my answer to that, but it could be seen as an "Alt" for the Revised Ranger because I actually like Rangers as half casters.

I think it's probably too strong. Considering limiting Favored Enemy to once per turn and/or capping quarry die to a d8 in mid tier 3. PEACH, don't hold back. This is my first time messing with full classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Even if they don't have a Reaction, they can now talk through "brief utterances", which certainly includes stuff like "Help!", "Assassin!!", or "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!"

28. - Top - End - #28

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    Hey ya'll, spent all day working on my vision for the ranger. I really love Rangers and was bummed that they kind of got the shaft in 5e. This is my answer to that, but it could be seen as an "Alt" for the Revised Ranger because I actually like Rangers as half casters.

I think it's probably too strong. Considering limiting Favored Enemy to once per turn and/or capping quarry die to a d8 in mid tier 3. PEACH, don't hold back. This is my first time messing with full classes.
    I actually think it's too weak of a benefit. The base Ranger already has the Hunter archetype that at level 3 can add 1d8 dmg to an attack every turn. Adding even 1d10 to only your marked target is kind of weak. The benefit of old Rangers was the attack bonus that made them rarely miss their favored enemies. Considering Bless adds a 1d4 to attacks AND saves for multiple creatures as a 1st lvl cleric spell, a ranger could easily add a 1d10 to his attack rolls against only his marked target, especially when he can't have many of those per rest and it costs a bonus action just to set one. Barbarians get crazy attack and damage bonuses through rage against all targets.

Going to go revisit my Druid. I didn't even think of Revivify.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Couple minor tweaks to the theurge: Godly vigor removed (All sorceries will have improved usage at 5th level instead). Sorcery list updated (Removed: Ignis, Terra. Added: Aer, Daemonis, Fortis). Callings now all grant a choice from two sorceries instead of some granting one and some granting a choice. Any available choices are added to the theurge list even if unpicked. Acies sorcery written.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

So, haven't done anything in a bit on the archanic researcher, but hope too soon. Could I get some feedback so I can make the changes that it obviously needs but my own huburous blinds me from seeing?
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2019-05-25 at 07:07 PM.