The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 386
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa stays silent. When Faust starts first talking, she scowls at him. As the sorcerer goes on, ambient light returns to its previous state. Rosa lowers her gaze from the sorcerer, clearly ashamed of something.

    Neither are the hag's admonition without effect on her. Her hands close into fists, yet, after a deep sigh, she seems to relax and puts her pack down in front of her, ready to fish out the grimoire.

    When Borgrim intervenes, she looks at the half-orc, eyes widening with surprise. She kneels next to her pack and takes* the grimoire out.

    She also palms a dagger, keeping it hidden from Gloy under the grimoire.

    She looks from Borgrim to Gloy, awaiting the hag's response.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Dex - (1d20+4)[16] to keep the dagger hidden. If it counts as Stealth, Rosa can add another +4.

    And Rosa's keeping the dagger hidden from Gloy, but lets Enfys and the other PC see it.

    Before the Borgim post, I thought of bringing Gloy the grimoire and using that as a way to get up close and so very personal.

    Now I'll wait to see how Gloy reacts...
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim steps forward, brandishing his weapons. Lady Gloy recoils from his large frame and booming voice, and for the first time a glimpse of true fear can be seen in her one good eye. Lady Gloy's haughty bearing slinks away into the shadows, leaving a simpering, deferential air in its stead. She bows her head repeatly in a submissive gesture, and her shoulders sag as her back hunches up {Intimidation: success}. Enfys remains still, eyes downcast and uncertain.

    "Yes, master Borgrim, there is no need for violence, no, no! We will gladly let the little one go, yes, yes! Only give us the tome, a fair trade, very fair, yes! Kind, noble master Borgrim, I'm sure you see the quality of such an exchange, yes. And then we may all part in harmony, yes, yes! No need to sully the hearth with blood, no bad luck, no!"

    Lady Gloy remains partly hunched, shrinking back from Borgrim's imposing figure, her good eye darting back and forth between the trio as she awaits Borgrim's response. She then stares with intensity as Rosa kneels to bring forth the grimoire, and eyes it hungrily as it is offered toward her. It's so close...

    Perhaps it's a reflection from the cook-fire that gives the dagger away {Palming dagger: spotted}. It's the last straw for Lady Gloy. Seizing the moment, she makes a desperate grab for the grimoire with an unnaturally strong hand, and attempts to wrench it from Rosa's grasp.

    Spoiler: Initiative and Rolls
    Show

    LadyGloy - (1d20+3)[4] vs. Rosa's Dexterity Saving Throw DexSave - (1d20+6)[19] To see whether Gloy grabs the grimoire.

    Lady Gloy's Initiative:
    Init - (1d20+1)[14]

    Rosa snatches away the grimoire just before Lady Gloy can reach it, and the lady motions to flee from the hearth room.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    If you guys want to start combat, now's your chance (But you don't have to)! Lady Gloy goes last, and no one is surprised so the three of you each get to go before she can act.
    Initiative Order:
    Borgrim: 17
    Benedict: 16
    Rosa: 15
    Lady Gloy: 14
    Enfys: 10
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-11-11 at 09:29 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Spoiler: OOC - 'booming voice'
    Show

    What I said was 'mutters' - it's more of an under his breath kinda thing, not a whisper and not a shout, just ... muttering to himself, but easily loud enough for Gloy to hear. Not that it makes any real difference.


    We're about to shed blood over Enfys - but no one even bothered to ask her opinion. I stand by my companions, come what may. But if we're fighting for Enfys, I would hear her wishes first.

    Personally, I think Enfys kinda likes the sewers. But maybe she'd like proper wages for the work she does, and the freedom to live her own life. But that doesn't really require the trade of the grimoire - that's just fair, all on it's own.

    Enfys? What say you?


    Borgrim maintains a battle-ready stance as he says this. He's like a weirdly polite tiger, ready to pounce.

  4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa snatches the grimoire away, and as Gloy runs, she raises her hand to throw the dagger into the hag's back. "What am I doing..."

    It's one thing to threaten a monster standing in front of them. It's another to attack a fleeing enemy. She gives a side look towards Enfys and drops her dagger.

    "We're not finished talking, here, چربی," and her free hands waves a few gestures in the air before throwing a piece of dried greasy bacon towards the running hag. Her hand then goes for the short sword at her belt.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Grease, DC 13. Rosa's stance is not overly aggressive, neither is her tone murderous anymore.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  5. - Top - End - #335
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Enfys looks up toward Borgrim with worry and uncertainty on her face. She clutches her hands together anxiously, and shakes her head rapidly.

    "No, no, I don't know, I dunno! I- I've never lived an'where else! I dunno!"

    Rosa gestures and speaks a few arcane words, and the ground beneath Lady Gloy turns slick with grease. The lady slips a little, but manages to brace herself with her cane and maintain her footing on the treacherous slick {Dex Save: success}. She screams out shrily in response to Enfys' reply.

    "The nasty little thing, it doesn't know what it wants! What would you gain from asking it?! I raised it from a whelp, it owes me its life; why should I give it up? It's mine, mine, mine!" Lady Gloy continues to dart her eye about crazily, seeking a means of escape.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  6. - Top - End - #336
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Oh ... oh it belongs to you, does it? Because you raised it, is that how it is?

    How about this, Gloy? Right now ... right this instant, you OWE ME your life because I'M NOT KILLING YOU. RIGHT NOW.

    So how about this, Gloy ... how about you trade me Enfys' life for yours?


    Borgrim advances, not really waiting for the answer, weapons raising to strike.

    Her, by the way. She a 'her'. Oh if you live, you will live to learn respect, Gloy. Oh ... yes!

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Better hurry up with a very convincing unconditional surrender.

    Activate Rage. Reckless attacks.
    Attack: (1d20+8)[14] or (1d20+8)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[10] - using the axe, because I'm guessing it does d6 damage?


    Just as he enters striking range, he will smile, and mutter Gloy. Nice name for an axe.

  7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Ben lets the half-orc speak his piece, using the time to manoeuvre himself on the opposite side to limit the hag's venues of escape. He then adds something of his own: "Lady, you might not like us very much right now. We are not nice people, even when we try to be friendly. But if you look deep in your heart of hearts, you will certainly realise that we are even worse as enemies. So it's up to you, now, to convince us that it was all a misunderstanding, that you have good intentions in our regards and that it is in our best interest to let you live another day. Otherwise... well, sucks to be you, really."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Readied action: if she attempts anything, cast burning hands on the hag, possibly igniting the grease under her feet (I do not know if that is a thing) AND definitely setting off a Wild Magic event. This last thing might end up being very good or very bad or anything in between, really.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  8. - Top - End - #338
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Lady Gloy raises her arm to fend off the blow from Borgrim's axe, shrieking and pleading all the while. The bronze axe-bit cuts deeply into the lady's arm, drawing thick, dark blood which drips onto the greased floor {11 Slashing}. She clutches at the wound and cries out:

    "No, no master Borgrim! Kind master Borgrim!"

    Benedict raises his hands and prepares to unleash an arcane fan of flames. Lady Gloy, like an animal back into a corner, finally determines that if she is to escape her own lair, she will need to fight. The glamour of old finery concealing her true appearance disappears in and instant, revealing a hideous, emaciated form covered with pale, scaly skin and pockmarked with barnacle-like growths. Her face is even worse, framed with sickly, rotting kelp-hair, beneath which glassy, bulbous, dead black eyes stare. A wide, lipless mouth pulls back in a sneer of terror to reveal slender, pointed fish-teeth. She hisses like a snake and raises up her knotted cane, preparing to strike it down against the stone floor.

    Before "Lady" Gloy can follow through, however, Benedict unleashes his readied magic in a wave of fire, which sets a number of papers and bits of fur and bone alight behind the hag. Lady Gloy twists and contorts her body to avoid the brunt of the wave, but the flames still scorch across her skin {6 Fire}. She yelps in pain. It singes the patch of grease, causing some of it to smoke, but does not set it alight. A strange magical aura flares up around Benedict as he releases his spell, twisting about his body {Wild Magic Surge}.

    Spoiler: Wild Magic Surge
    Show

    Here is the Wild Magic roll. 78: Benedict casts Polymorph on himself, and must make a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or turn into a sheep for one hour! Either way, Ben's Tides of Chaos recharges.

    The hag Gloy recovers from the flames and brings her cane slamming to the floor. A booming crack or thunder erupts from the point of impact, sending the cauldron tumbling to the far side of the room, and blasting a shockwave over Borgrim and Rosa. The blast also throws loose bits of odds and ends careening about the hearth room, clattering against the stone walls and amongst the other detritus.

    Spoiler: Save vs. Thunder
    Show

    Borgrim and Rosa need to make DC 13 Constitution Saving Throws. On a fail, they take 3 thunder damage and are pushed 10 ft. away from Gloy. On a success, they take half (1) damage and aren't pushed.

    Gloy then makes her way as quickly as she can across the greased floor, and heads to the arched entryway leading to the sewer passage. Enfys averts her gaze from Gloy's hideous visage, and, torn by indecision, hesitates and stands still where she is.

    "I don't know! I don't know...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    At the beginning of each PC's next turn, they will each need to make a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw, or be frightened by Gloy's Horrific Appearance. The shift in form was sudden, so I don't think any of the PCs would have had a chance to avert their gaze in time.

    Borgrim will be able to make an Attack of Opportunity against Gloy if he makes his Constitution saving throw against the Thunderwave. Benedict will be able to make an Attack of Opportunity with either his staff, or as a sheep (+3 to hit, 1d4+1 damage ), as Gloy rushes past him to the entryway.

    The bronze axe does 1d8 damage, so I added +1 to Borgrim's damage roll.

    Here is Gloy's Dex save for burning hands (Grease does not ignite in 5th edition, for that you'd need to use the Web spell). Roll damage for Burning Hands. In the interest of finishing this post, I'll roll.

    I rolled on the Wild Magic Surge Here, but I rolled a 100, which restores all your spell points, of which you have none, since Benedict is only a level 1 sorcerer. That doesn't seem like much fun, so if you want to please feel free to roll another Wild Magic Surge . I'll roll again, in the interest of finishing this post. See above for the new roll.

    Once I get the Wild Magic Surge roll and the Burning Hands damage roll I'll edit this post with the rest of Gloy's action.

    EDIT: Post is finished.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-11-12 at 09:47 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  9. - Top - End - #339
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim is tossed like a rag doll by Gloy's madness - but he is unimpressed by her loathsome nature, and all she's really achieved is to give him room to charge. Something he relishes. He rushes back in, weapons swinging.

    Having lost - momentarily - the ability to string words together into sentences, his charge is accompanied by his customary warcry: GRAAHHH!!!

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Attack: (1d20+8)[18] or (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[10]

  10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Both the magic surge and the sudden revelation assault Ben's senses, threatening to overwhelm him from the inside. Yet, he shakes his head and presses on. "You'll have to do better than that, you old thing. The things I've seen... you are no match for them."
    He swings and miss with his baton as Gloy races past him. "Quickly now!" he exports his companions.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wis - (1d20+1)[19] vs Polymorph DC 14
    Wis - (1d20+1)[19] vs Fear DC 11
    AoO in the OOC thread
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-11-13 at 04:55 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    As Gloy's glamour fades away, Rosa sees the white and lifeless face of her father, the bloodied one of her village priest and the visages of those thugs massacred by an unknown monster.

    Rosa screams in terror as both grimoire and sword slip from her suddenly numb hands. Her scream is cut short by a burst of thunder that blasts her off her feat: It's all she can do to roll back into a crouch and, suddenly, her crossbow is in her hand and she is shooting it in wild panic.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Take 3 damage, roll 10ft back, and start shooting with disadvantage.

    Crossbow attack - (1d20+6)[12], Disadvantage - (1d20+6)[14]
    Damage - (1d6+4)[9]

    EDIT: This round, Rosa has dropped the grimoire and sword (with enchanted stone), in addition to a dagger dropped the previous round.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-11-13 at 07:15 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  12. - Top - End - #342
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The hag Gloy again brings up her arm to ward off the incoming blow from Borgrim's axe. This time the weapon slips past her defence, but the blade is misaligned and instead crashes sideways into Gloys face. The hag recoils in pain as blood spurts from her broken nose, and cries out in desperation {10 Bludgeoning}.

    "Dear Enfys, aid me! Mercy, mercy! Hisssss!"

    Rosa aims her crossbow wildly, firing a quarrel past Borgrim's shoulder that flies wide of its mark. Gloy, not waiting for any show of mercy, disengages from Borgrim and turns toward the sewer passage {Avoid AoO}. She takes a few steps past the entryway and then dives into the waist-deep sewer water, thrashing madly away.

    Enfys crouches on the ground and holds her eyes firmly shut. She covers her ears to block out the sound of Gloy's cries, and mutters to herself: "No, no, no, I won't help, I don't know... not like this, no no!"

    Spoiler: OOC, Round 2
    Show

    Benedict can take his Round 2 turn and act BEFORE Gloy disengages and jumps into the sewer channel.

    Initiative Order for Round 3: Borgrim, Benedict, Rosa, Gloy, Enfys.

    At the end of her (Round 2) turn Rosa can make another DC 11 Wisdom saving throw (with disadvantage, since Gloy was still within line of sight) against the fear effect. Borgrim and Benedict succeeded on their Wis saves, so are immune to the hag's Horrific Appearance for the next 24 hours.

    Neither Borgrim nor Benedict will be able to take Attack's of Opportunity, since Gloy takes the Disengage Action. Gloy moves a total of 35 feet, so she'll be just out of reach of a single move for Borgrim. The next bend in the sewer channel is ~100 ft. from the entrance to Gloy's lair, and ~70 ft. from Gloy's position at the end of Round 2.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Attack: [roll0] or [roll1]
    Damage: [roll2]
    Borgrim should have a +6 to attack rolls, not +8 (don't worry, he still hit). Rage only applies to damage rolls.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-11-13 at 12:30 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    As her bolt misses its mark, Rosa takes a deep breath and concentrates on steadying her hand. The panic washes away as suddenly as it came.

    Rosa turns to Enfys: "Get that grimoire. Nicodemus, Singing bridge, hide there. Go. GO!"

    She then runs after Gloy. "What am I doing what am I doing what am I..." As she runs, she cranks her crossbow and readies a bolt. She passes the entry way in time to see Gloy splash into the water. Rosa aims her crossbow. "... What am I doing?" Rosa shakes her head and fishes into her belt pouch.

    She throws a handful of miniature, much dried and somewhat moldy, tarts in the general direction of Gloy. She then waves a rather dusty and torn-up feather in the air.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting my favorite spell in the world: Tasha's Hideous Laughter, DC 13.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Gods be... She's a hardy old monster, isn't she?" says Ben, when the hag sprints away even after being burned and battered. He moves to follow. He sends forth his raven to distract her, trying to peck her eyes out or something, as he attempts to bludgeon her in the back of her head.
    Spoiler: AttackRoutine
    Show
    Raven: help - (1d20+4)[17], +2 extra if getting a flanking bonus.
    Ben: hit - (1d20+3)[7], hitAdv - (1d20+3)[9], DMG - (1d6+1)[5] with his baton
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  15. - Top - End - #345
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim, ever eloquent, continues after the hag, bellowing out: DIIEEE!! Will! You! Die! *chop-chop-chop!* goes the axe.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Attack rolls: (1d20+6)[7] or (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[12]

  16. - Top - End - #346
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Round 2

    Benedict steps to Gloy, and with his raven buffeting her face with its wings, he brings his baton around in a forceful arc. Gloy, however, manages to deflect the blow with her uninjured, monstrous hand {Baton: miss}.

    ************

    Round 3

    Borgrim rushes into the sewer passage in pursuit of Gloy. From the walkway above where she thrashes through the water, he swings his axe downward at her back. Gloy twists out of the way of the attack with some preternatural hag sense, and the axe only cleaves sewer water {Axe: miss}.

    Benedict follows, moving a short way along the walkway. His raven returns to his shoulder, granting him vision in the darkness of the sewer passage, and he aims a jolt of magical force at Gloy's form in the water {Eldritch Blast: miss}.

    Rosa's magic has an immediate effect on Gloy. The hag bursts up from the water, then collapses over partway onto the walkway, where she doubles over and cackles madly. She feebly tries to pull herself upright, but to no avail, as she is completely overcome by the laughing fit {Tasha's Hideous Laughter: saving throw fail}.

    Rosa's commanding yell finally snaps Enfys out of her inaction. The diminutive sewer guide nods rapidly and scrambles over to the grimoire and tucks it underneath her cloak, then hurries into the sewer passage. She moves as quickly as she can along the opposite wall from Borgrim.

    Spoiler: OOC, Round 3 recap
    Show

    I think Benedict lost an turn somewhere, so I rolled for an eldritch blast Here. And I swapped around the order to make a bit more sense, I think. In order to see Gloy properly in the dark of the sewer passage, I believe Benedict would need to have his raven on his shoulder, so I moved it there.

    After Borgrim and Benedict attacked and missed, Gloy fails the save (she rolled a nat 1, Here) against Tasha's Hideous Laughter and spends her turn doubled over and laughing. She is prone, so melee attacks have automatic advantage against her, and ranged attacks have disadvantage.

    I'll roll her end-of-turn (round 3) saving throw here: [roll0] Edit: Forgot preview messed up rolls. I'll roll in the dice rolling thread and link it HERE. Another nat 1!

    She also gets to make a save (with advantage) any time she takes damage. You can grapple her without provoking a save.

    Round 4 Initiative: Borgim 17, Benedict 16, Rosa 15, Gloy 14, Enfys 10.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-11-14 at 10:43 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa runs behind Borgrim, gaining on him in. As she closes in, she runs two steps on the wall then jumps above the hilarious hag.

    She lands in a crouch, draws her last dagger and starts stabbing Gloy.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+6)[20], Advantage - (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage - (1d4+4)[6], Sneak attack - (1d6)[6]
    (Critical damage - (1d4)[3])
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  18. - Top - End - #348
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Baffled, Borgrim watches Rosa immitate his 'off the walls' attack, then totally botch it and just stabbing normally at the hag. Helpful as always, he demonstates again.

    No, Rosa - like this!

    And he leaps against the wall once more, pushes off it to gain extra height, and drops onto Gloy, swinging the axe with furious power as he does so:

    Hup-harumph .. GRAAHHH!!!

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Attack: (1d20+6)[16] or (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[13]

  19. - Top - End - #349
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa's dagger slips between scales and punctures deeply into Gloy's back. Dark, thick blood flows profusely from the wound {Sneak attack: 12 piercing}. The pain is enough to break Gloy out of her laughing fit, but she has barely a moment to draw in a ragged breath before Borgrim slams his axe downward into the hags shoulder, cutting bone with a heavy, crunching sound {Axe: 13 slashing}. Gloy collapses partway onto the walkway, then, ever so slowly, slides facedown into the sewer channel, while her cane clatters onto the stone walkway. Blood from her wounds mixes with the water as her body floats, motionless.

    Benedict catches up to the others to confirm Gloy has been felled. A little further down the passage, on the opposite walkway, Enfys shoots a glance over her shoulder as the noise of the fighting stops. She catches sight of Gloy's still body and stops herself, unsure of what to do. Finally she calls out, in an uncertain voice:

    "Is... is she dead?"

    Back down the sewer passage, a not insignificant amount of smoke wafts from the entry to Gloy's lair.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Gloy is unconscious and possibly bleeding out. What you want to do with her now is up to you; you can attempt to stabilize her if you wish (DC 10 Medicine (wis) check if you don't want to waste healing items).

    Benedict still has his turn, otherwise combat's pretty much over now, though I'm making death saves for Gloy.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-11-15 at 05:34 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  20. - Top - End - #350
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim pokes the hag's body with a foot, judging from experience that she can still be saved. Possibly. By someone more competent at that sort of thing than he.

    Well - not quite? Look, Enfys, this whole thing about owning someone else makes me quite upset, but if you want her alive, I suppose we'll put her back together somehow. Me, I'd find some people like yourself, and leave this hateful old creature well enough alone. We should ask Nicodemus, I'm sure he can tell us where to find .. you know, your own people.

    He looks down, undecided, at Gloy.

    Oh for crying out loud ... can one of you patch her back up. I'm thinking we'll need her knowledge sooner or later. Even if she'll hate us all the more, now.

  21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Really? Maybe we should have thought of that before stabbing her to death, or halfway there anyway." says Ben. He is neither loud nor bitter, just matter-of.fact and ... a bit tired, perhaps? "I've seen a Magister treat a woman once. He was one of the greatest sages of our time, according to some. I suppose we try our luck and hope for the best. Rose, will you lend me a hand with some rags? The secret is compression, I was told."
    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Medicine - (1d20+1)[11], Medicine - (1d20+1)[14] with Tide of Chaos. +2 if Rose helps.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  22. - Top - End - #352
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Well, I did try to tell her, you know! I told her 'let Enfys go or die!' She could have just done that.

    Also, I got angry. Things get .. you know, a bit blurry when I get angry. Anyways, she'll certainly betray us now, but there's just nothing for it I guess.


    Borgrim feels strangely put upon, because he actually wanted to avoid a fight. Oh well.

  23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa lets the others talk while she contemplates Gloy's limp body as if in a daze.* "What have I done..."

    Raising her gaze from the body, she answers Faust's request for help. "No way, the b!tch will never forget that and betray us at the first occasion! Do you think saving her now will mend anything? Let her rot!"

    As Faust is handling rags, Rosa puts the heel of her boot on the hag's ribs and pushes her into murky waters.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I guess Str vs. Dex Save of anyone trying to catch Gloy?

    Str - (1d20-1)[13]
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "So our plan now is to drown the sea hag?" Ben asks, almost finding mirth in the irony of it for a moment. Almost. But then he sighs: "Saving her or killing her, I can live with both. What I cannot abide with is leaving her for dead in the murky waters of her domain: she's certain to survive it and come back at us with a vengeance after that. Common sense, really.
    If you are so keen on ending her, do it cleanly and chop her head off. If not, step aside."


    To Bogrim he says: "I understand your point of view. It was an unfortunate situation, there were no good options.
    So, you agree that this is a betrayal waiting to happen? Then I suggest we take care of it beforehand. The moment you misread a situation, the moment you do not understand who you are dealing with, is the moment you find yourself dying in the sewers with a weigh upon your ribs, apparently."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-11-16 at 06:09 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  25. - Top - End - #355
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Thing is, I can't just murder a defenceless woman. It's just not right.

    The right thing to do is to wake her, and explain to her that .. she get's to live, this time. When she betrays us, she will die. We all know it's coming, but we have to give her the chance to be smarter than that. We have to assume she can either redeem herself - or at least follow her survival drive well enough to refrain from trying to stab us in the back.

    It's how it has to be.


    Borgrim shrugs, accepting the cruel hand of Fate such as it must be.

  26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "So our plan now is to drown the sea hag?" Ben asks, almost finding mirth in the irony of it for a moment. Almost. But then he sighs: "Saving her or killing her, I can live with both. What I cannot abide with is leaving her for dead in the murky waters of her domain: she's certain to survive it and come back at us with a vengeance after that. Common sense, really.
    If you are so keen on ending her, do it cleanly and chop her head off. If not, step aside."
    Rosa gives a deep sigh. She raises her crossbow, checks the bolt and the cord, then points it towards the floating hag's neck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Thing is, I can't just murder a defenceless woman. It's just not right.

    The right thing to do is to wake her, and explain to her that .. she get's to live, this time. When she betrays us, she will die. We all know it's coming, but we have to give her the chance to be smarter than that. We have to assume she can either redeem herself - or at least follow her survival drive well enough to refrain from trying to stab us in the back.

    It's how it has to be.


    Borgrim shrugs, accepting the cruel hand of Fate such as it must be.
    "Nine Hells and Thousands Abyss... alright, let's do it your way." Rosa lowers her crossbow and removes the bolt.

    Rosa wades into the water and drags the hag out. "But I'm not trying to heal her, neither am I the one who's going to try to convince her," she adds, crossing her arms.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  27. - Top - End - #357
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    It's a statement of fact. I can handle that.

  28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    When it seems that the discussion is settled, Ben returns to his work. "Do keep that weapon handy, dear." he tells Rose "We don't know how she is going to react when she wakes up". He foregoes telling Borgrim to keep his weapon ready too.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  29. - Top - End - #359
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Well - not quite? Look, Enfys, this whole thing about owning someone else makes me quite upset, but if you want her alive, I suppose we'll put her back together somehow. Me, I'd find some people like yourself, and leave this hateful old creature well enough alone. We should ask Nicodemus, I'm sure he can tell us where to find .. you know, your own people.
    "Huh, I ne'er thought o' that... you think there's a whole lot o' folk like me?" Enfys loses herself in thought for a few moments, then is bumped back to the present as Rosa, Borgrim and Benedict heave Gloy's unconscious body up onto the walkway. Benedict administers some quick, but mildly effective first aid, bandaging and compressing two of the wounds, which is enough to staunch the bleeding. Enfys pulls a small vial from beneath her cloak and offers it.

    "This'll wake her up... I use it in case I get bit by somethin' nasty, but it should work on the Lady too." Enfys waits until the others are ready, then pours a few drops into Gloy's mouth. The hag immediately begins to cough and splutter to life. Her eyes go wide when she sees she is surrounded.

    "Ahh! Mercy, mercy! I'll not try to run no longer, I won't, I promise you, good folk! I'll make a deal, I will! I'll... I'll let the little one free, a gift from me, yes! I shall tell dear sister of your mercy, yes! Never wanted the grimoire that much anyway, ha! And the little one can be so much trouble, best to get her out of our hair, ha!" Gloy clasps her hands together in supplication, looking up with pleading at the trio. The effect is somewhat counteracted by her remarkably ugly visage.

    Enfys looks over to the lair entrance, noticing the smoke wafting from it. "I'll... see if'n I can put that out, eh?" She bustles over and steps inside, pulling off her cloak and beating at a few smouldering flames. She calls out: "Is' not so bad! I'll have it mostly out in' moment!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Gloy is stabilized by Benedicts medicine check, and brought to 1 HP by Enfys pick-me-up.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa gives a deep sigh, then turns to Borgrim, raising her eyebrows and nodding as if to encourage him, go on, say your part.

    She then turns back to Gloy, her face slack, cold and inexpressive.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Looking mean to give Borgrim Advantage on his Intimidation check.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •