The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 384
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Duality of the cosmos - see, I told you guys she'd love me!

    That night, barring any unforeseen disasters, Borgrim will be visiting the church, to acquire rubies for his chosen sweetheart.

    Spoiler: Burglary
    Show

    This is the plan - whether it plays out as expected is another thing:

    Borgrim will go to the door indicated by Furtha. He will enter, bold as you please, and go to the alter of At'ar, where he will give a brief prayer for luck, and indicating in his prayer two things: That he, Borgrim, is a creature of both light and shadow - fighting for good, but using .. any tools nature or circumstance has to offer. And that this theft too is a matter of both light and darkness - the questionable act of thievery, and the pure good of love, and of giving unto another without expectation of recompense.

    Then he'll walk to the statue, and pry out the stones. He'll even give it a quick wink, in case some god or other is watching =)

    Then he'll have the earrings made for Naihm, and give them to her.

    Brilliant in all it's simplicity.

  2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Once again, Rosa nods to nearly each and every word uttered by Nicodemus. Her expression takes gravity and utmost seriousness as she drinks his explanations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Duality of the cosmos - see, I told you guys she'd love me!
    Rosa restrains an urge to cuff the half-orc behind the head. "Who is the she in question? A'tar goddess of Cosmic Indecision? That serving girl? Her landlady mother? That other acolyte, what was her name? Petra? Nine Hells, Borgrim, you have to choose one, you can't chase every woman we meet!"
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Rosa restrains an urge to cuff the half-orc behind the head. "Who is the she in question? A'tar goddess of Cosmic Indecision? That serving girl? Her landlady mother? That other acolyte, what was her name? Petra? Nine Hells, Borgrim, you have to choose one, you can't chase every woman we meet!"
    At'ar was who I meant. I've chased two, that's hardly all of them. Now, in principle I can chase as many as time and stamina allows, but I'll have you know that once I get serious with anyone, I'm very much a one-woman kinda guy.

    Though I have to tell you, by the official rule set of the northern tribes ... it doesn't count if it's been two weeks, it's more than 2 leagues, or there's water in between*.


    Spoiler: *
    Show

    I heard two guys on the bus talking, and this is what one told the other: It's not cheating if it's been two weeks, it's more than 10 kilometers, or there's water in between. Which I found hilarious. I do hope they were just joking.

  4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa purses her lips. "I suppose it makes sense. Hard to set up a date when there's a war in between."

    She then scratches her head, and looks towards the tent's exit. "Let's go sewer dumping, shall we? And by that, I mean let's go dump ourselves in to those sewers. As opposed to dumping trash in them."

    She then looks back at at her two companions: "Seriously, guys, you have to remind me why we're even contemplating doing this? I guess it's one of those moments we'll look back on in a few years and laugh about while comfortably installed in a tavern, wearing clean perfumed clothing and drinking warm spiced wine or something."
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  5. - Top - End - #275
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    A look of disgust crosses Borgrims face, and he visibly shakes himself.

    Yeech - perfume!

  6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "It might not." admits César "But it needs doing. Let's go."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Guess my hopes for another kind of answer where sorely misplaced," muses Rosa.

    She turns to Nicodemus. "Retirement must feel good in these moments." She finishes with a respectful bow of the head before exiting the tent.

    From outside, she adds: "And never worry, I'll ensure Borgrim partakes of a mildly perfumed yet highly soapy bath before we bring him back!"
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  8. - Top - End - #278
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    At the mention of perfumed paths - mildly or otherwise - Borgrim jerks like someone tried to hurl acid in his face. He follows Rosa at what he judges a safe distance, hoping she has neither perfume nor baths secretly stashed about her person.

  9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    As they exit, César joins in bowing politely towards the old wizard.
    Outside, he tells Bogrim in confidence:
    "Do not worry. I, too, dislike fragrances that linger long on my person. It makes it easier for prowling beasts to spot you, and tend to stick more easily into people's minds. Notthatthe latter cannot be an advantage sometimes."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  10. - Top - End - #280
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    As they approach the sewers, Borgrim does something propably totally unexpected: He changes his loin cloth. He does this in the middle of the street, showing a total disregard for the genteel sensibilities of passersby, and with supreme disdain of public decency. To the discerning eye, the new loin cloth has an oily sheen to it.

    By way of explanation, he simply mumbles: Oilskin. Waterproof.

  11. - Top - End - #281
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    "Guess my hopes for another kind of answer where sorely misplaced," muses Rosa.

    She turns to Nicodemus. "Retirement must feel good in these moments." She finishes with a respectful bow of the head before exiting the tent.

    From outside, she adds: "And never worry, I'll ensure Borgrim partakes of a mildly perfumed yet highly soapy bath before we bring him back!"
    An almost wistful look crosses Nicodemus' face, and he takes a long draw from his pipe. "There's a certain camaraderie you get from delving into unpleasant places... But I expect I've blocked out, wilfully or otherwise, most of the tedious memories. I expect you're quite right. Now, enough dithering, and be off with you. I'm sure it won't be too awful!" Nicodemus waves as the trio leaves and then begins rummaging about his desk.

    Outside the wizard's shack, Rosa, Borgrim and César climb the steps up to the Singing Bridge and cross it, heading north along Garden Street. The early afternoon sun shines down warmly, high enough in the sky to dispel all but the smallest of shadows from the narrow Port Blacksand streets.

    Arriving at the triple-junction of Harbour, Garden, and Candle Street, the trio pauses and César pulls forth the card given to him the night previous:

    Rupert Glintstone, Silversmith,
    17 Candle Street
    Specializing in candlesticks, candelabras, ornaments.
    Custom work on demand.

    Making a quick detour before heading to nearest sewer entrance, the three companions walk a short way down the very narrow Candle Street to Rupert Glinstone's establishment. A small sign with a silver candlestick hangs outside of the unassuming but well-maintained street-front. Inside Mr. Glinstone, seemingly fully recovered from his heavy drinking the night before, greets César enthusiastically and gets down to hammering out a deal. The prices Mr. Glinstone offers are more than fair and the halfling silversmith jots down a very tidily written order with a silver ornamented quill, promising to have it ready by tomorrow evening or the morning after that, at the latest. In no time at all the trio is back on the street and heading west toward the sewer entrance on Harbour Street.

    Spoiler: Silver Order
    Show

    Mr. Glinstone is offering 75gp for the first weapon/10 ammunition, then 50gp for any weapons/10 ammunition beyond that. He's also willing to accept some of the lab equipment that Borgrim pilfered in place of some of the gp. If you want a specific melee weapon silvered then you'll have to leave it with him now.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    As they approach the sewers, Borgrim does something propably totally unexpected: He changes his loin cloth. He does this in the middle of the street, showing a total disregard for the genteel sensibilities of passersby, and with supreme disdain of public decency. To the discerning eye, the new loin cloth has an oily sheen to it.

    By way of explanation, he simply mumbles: Oilskin. Waterproof.
    Several local onlookers do their very best to pay the large half-orc no attention whatsoever, yessir, just ignore it, don't want to interfere with that, none of MY business, no sir, not mine! They stare VERY intently straight ahead. A few show shocked expressions as they pass, and shield their children's eyes, but none deign to make any comment.

    As the trio continues along Harbour Street, a gentle breeze from the west carries with it the scent of fresh fish and kelp and sea water. The street widens somewhat and becomes a little less claustrophobic as it slopes down toward the harbour. The distant sound of ship bells and hawkers hawking various seafoods rises above the general din of the city.

    Turning off of Harbour Street into a short alley, the three companions move to a hinged bronze grate set a foot above the cobble stone. A bit of effort on Borgrim's part pries it up and open, revealing a ladder made of bars set into a stone wall, leading a short way down into the sewers. The three clamber down the fifteen feet and find themselves at the dead end of a sewer. The passage is perhaps ten feet wide with a domed ceiling seven feet high in the centre. A narrow raised walkway at the base of the walls keeps the feet clear of the little water that sits at the passage's centre. The sewer runs south some fifty feet until it reaches a T intersection. What at first, to the trio's slowly adjusting eyes, appeared to be a small pile of detritus near the intersection, stirs at the sound of footsteps clattering on the sewer's stone floor.

    A small figure in a short cloak (whose original colour and material it would be impossible to even guess at) slowly picks itself up. Fully upright, it stands no more than three feet tall, and its features are difficult to make out in the dark. Black, beady eyes peer out from under an oddly shaped, battered hat, and an elongated, rodent-like snout twitches what appear to be whiskers. It raises a hand in greeting and calls out in a slightly squeaky voice:

    "Yer the ones I'm t'be expecting, is it? Aye, ah think it'be. Got's a, hrm, intuition 'bout this sorta thing, see?" The creature taps it's snout knowingly. "Don't look like ordinary folk, eh? So you'll be lookin' fer the Ladies, then. If that's what yer after, I can lead ya. The creature pauses for moment. It tilts its head in a questioning manner. "Nice weather up above today, is it?"

    The creature rummages about beneath its exceedingly grubby cloak and soon pulls out a small dish-shaped object with a leather strap. It sets the object onto its hat, then tightens the strap. Pulling out a tinder box it strikes a light and brings it up to the hat, lighting the lamp now fastened to it. The lamp produces a small, but steady flame. The creature looks back at the trio and waits. "Oh, you can call me Enfys. Took a liking to it, though the Ladies just call me nasty things."
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-10-18 at 12:11 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  12. - Top - End - #282
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    At the silversmith:

    Master Glintstone, good afternoon. I need this, with which he slams his greatsword on the counter, silvered and if possible enchanted, please! I can pay a kings ransom - so long as that ransom is no more than 150 gold pieces.

    I can also offer you this: A collection of the finest alchemical apparatus, beakers and alembics, tubes and funnels, burners and filters, all of the finest quality, recently recovered from the abandoned workshop of a long lost mage.

    Oh, and I have another item to order: I need these rubies set in gold - you do work in gold also, right? - for a pair of earrings.
    Borgrim beams his brightest smile at the halfling, and adds: I'm sure we can work out a reasonable price for a man who only the other day soaked to the eyeballs in the blood of foolish bandits intent of collecting 'road fees'

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    What's a guy to do, who has only one possible social skill - Intimidation: (1d20+1)[21]


    In the sewers: 'Nasty Things', eh? Well, I can relate - Rosa here generally calls me things like Lumbering Oaf, Dithering Imbecil and the like. Also the Grim Leaper, which I suppose has more of a ring to it.

    Anyways, yes, the weather above is fine - and yes, we're looking for the ladies, if by that you refer to the coven of .. lovely young women, right?

  13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    At the silversmith
    "I need five bolts for this, and also this dagger done." Rosa shows her hand crossbow then puts a dagger on the counter.

    Right outside the sewers
    When Borgrim opens the gate, Mao the cat, who was standing on Rosa's shoulder, jumps down. One sniff at the foul air and the cat sprints to disappear between fishmonger stalls. "Stupid cat."

    In the sewers
    "Yeah, he means the Sea H—" Rosa coughs, "I mean, yes, the Sea Ladies obviously."

    Out of earshot of the ratman, she whispers to Borgrim: "Nobody wants to be called a hag, right, but isn't lovely overdoing it? Also, I have absolutely no recollection of employing the word dithering."

    She then addresses their guide. "At least it's not raining above. I guess this place overflows during rainy days. Well, at least the recent rains must have helped with the smell. So Enfys, you do that 'the ones I'm expecting' schtick to anyone that descends here? And what's your occupation here, anyway?"

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Insight - (1d20+1)[4] on rat guy. EDIT: what a surprise...
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-10-19 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Fomatting, mostly
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Leaving his raven perched over the front door outside the silversmith, César considers his options: his city-issued baton is made of wood and mostly for show anyway. His armour is fine the way it is, probably. "I don't actually need anything myself, though I am happy my friends here are having the chance to see your craftsmanship for themselves."

    Leaving the shop, his raven returns to its default position, on César's left shoulder. He walks with the others, speaking little, until they reach the entrance to the sewers. There, he tells Rosa: "You know, sewer-delving is probably not a proper occupation for a member of the watch. Ben would be a better fit, probably". That said, he finds himself a secluded spot, taking advantage of Borgrim's distraction.

    Ben joins the group a few moments later. "Hi, I'm back" he says. He lets the others banter about and speak to their newfound guide, whom he studies intently.
    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    insight - (1d20+3)[12] for the guide
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  15. - Top - End - #285
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim considers Rosa's words, but responds: It is my general impression that too much flattery is never a bad thing. Sure, the ladies in question will know - but they propably won't mind terribly. Also, I'm ... paraphrasing. You didn't say dithering per se, but I'm sure you don't consider it off the mark by any huge margin, right?

    Then - with the facial expression of discovering that he's come to work without his pants on - he looks at the puny javelin and dagger which are the only weapons he brought, and exclaims: Dammit! With everything else that's been going on, I forgot to grab a spear of the like from some passing guardsman or other.

  16. - Top - End - #286
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rupert Glinstone hesitates at Borgrim's mention of his 'bloody' activities, as if unsure as to whether Borgrim is sincere in his attempt at intimidation, or it's merely a little half-orc rowdiness. The silversmith decides it's not worth taking offence, and looks over the assorted apparatus. "I'll take the lot for payment; just add 20 gold for the earrings and its a deal." He takes the dagger and great sword, handling them cautiously, and waves goodbye as the trio leave.

    ******

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Right outside the sewersShe then addresses their guide. "At least it's not raining above. I guess this place overflows during rainy days. Well, at least the recent rains must have helped with the smell. So Enfys, you do that 'the ones I'm expecting' schtick to anyone that descends here? And what's your occupation here, anyway?"
    The brim of Enfys' hat causes the creatures face to remain shadowed, despite the lighted lamp perched upon its head. Still, approaching the creature reveals more of its features. While its snout and small, dark eyes give the general impression of rat-ish-ness, the rest of its features suggest some amount of goblin parentage. Enfys dips their face slightly at the scrutiny. Ben watches Enfys closely as they reply:

    "As long as there's not too much, the rain helps wash out the sewers some, s'right." Enfys smiles briefly, showing slightly pointed teeth. "A'right, so maybe there's an itty bit o'luck involved, eh? But I do get them feelings every now an then, an more often they're worth followin'. I weren't expectin' you, per-cisely, but I had a feelin' that told me I should check the southwest Harbour Street entrance, eh?"

    Enfys straightens up as dramatically as they can for being all of three-feet-nothing tall. "I, sirs and madams, am the warden of these here sewers, carrying out my duties on behalf of their ladyships Gloy and Cranc." Enfys relaxes. "Which is to say, I seek out all manner o' things for the ladies, as I can pass above with little notice. I note which sewers are clear an such, an which might be readyin' to cave-in. An I keep track o're the pests, an if they get too many, I tend to 'im." Enfys shoots a quick glance over their shoulder, then pauses to listen intently. "Course, I don't do ev'rything for the ladies. Gotta do some for myself from time to time, eh?" Enfys gives another toothy smile, then exclaims, "Oh, an I guide folk such as yerselves, though that's a rare thing!

    Spoiler: Insight
    Show

    Rosa doesn't get any sort of read on Enfys. Ben, however, can tell that Enfys is being more or less honest. The creature seems to have genuine pride for its work, even if it also displays some fear of the hags when it talks of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Then - with the facial expression of discovering that he's come to work without his pants on - he looks at the puny javelin and dagger which are the only weapons he brought, and exclaims: Dammit! With everything else that's been going on, I forgot to grab a spear of the like from some passing guardsman or other.
    Enfys looks up at the javelin in Borgrim's hand. "That ain't a spear?! Sure seems like one t'me. Guess if you're as tall as you are then it don't seem as big, eh?"
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-10-20 at 12:08 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "My name is Rosadon." Rosa removes her cowl as she, careful not to appear dangerous, very slowly approaches Enfys, bending knees and waist to put her face level with the rat-goblin. "See, I don't look much like the people above, either. Neither does Borgrim (who, between me and you, doesn't look like much, even though he believes every woman is after him). There's nothing to be ashamed of, alright? Moreover since it sounds to me you're doing a great job here. Not only for the ladies, but for all of us above who need these sewers in working order."

    Still, adressing Enfys, she gives a side look to Faust. "I'm pretty sure someone in the city higher-ups would be interested to learn about your contribution, Enfys."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So, trying to befriend Enfys. Does Rosa get advantage for not looking human either? CHA - (1d20+2)[5], Advantage - (1d20+2)[17].

    I know Rosa doesn't know Enfys is alright, since she fudged her Insight roll, but the fact that the poor thing is so shy about its appearance breaks her heart.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "It's probably best if they don't." says Ben, frustration seeping into his voice. "They would not appreciate it properly. But we do. You make good work down here. You are right to take pride in it."

    He follows the guide down the sewers. When there's a lull in the conversation, he asks a question of his own: "So, you know the ladies pretty well, I'd wager. What the best approach with them? Is it flattery, like my friend suggested? In your experience, what should we do or, more importantly, avoid doing?

    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I am ok to move on afterwards, I think.
    If needed, diplomacy - (1d20+6)[21]
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  19. - Top - End - #289
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Enfys listens intently as Rosa speaks; the rat-goblin repeats select words silently, almost seeming to chew on them thoughtfully. When Rosa draws back her hood to reveal her face, Enfys' curiosity wins out as the creature lifts its head to get a better look. Enfys takes a long moment to gaze with intensity across Rosa's features. In the process Enfys shows more of her own face, suggesting a goblin with rodent eyes, a snout, and very fine, short fur tacked on. Enfys seems to remember her shyness, once again lowering her head to hide her face beneath the brim of her hat, but Rosa catches the flash of a small smile before it is obscured by shadow.

    "Never seen an up-folk like you before, ma'am. Didn't know you could 'ave horns, gee! Thanks fer showin' em." Enfys looks over to Borgrim. "I've seen, uh, orc-folk, right? Like you sir, before, though."

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Still, addressing Enfys, she gives a side look to Faust. "I'm pretty sure someone in the city higher-ups would be interested to learn about your contribution, Enfys."
    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "It's probably best if they don't." says Ben, frustration seeping into his voice. "They would not appreciate it properly. But we do. You make good work down here. You are right to take pride in it."
    Enfys raises her head and smiles hopefully, then her shoulders sag and her face falls. "Ah, that's very kind t'say, sir and ma'am. But sir is right, I've not 'ad much luck when going up above; it's always been best when I kept out o' sight." Enfys brightens a little. "But, well gee! It's nice to hear someone say it's good work! The ladies appreciate it in their way, but, well... ya know." The diminutive sewer guide shrugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "So, you know the ladies pretty well, I'd wager. What the best approach with them? Is it flattery, like my friend suggested? In your experience, what should we do or, more importantly, avoid doing?
    The sewer guide gestures for the three to follow and then turns and pads softly down the tunnel. Enfys leads the party down a number of sewer passages, always keeping to the narrow walkways along the walls, and patiently pointing out gaps and tricky spots. Passing through the various tunnels, it is clear that many of the passages are far older than Port Blacksand itself. The architecture shifts, sometimes revealing what look to be ancient streets, now buried beneath the new city. As Enfys slowly guides the three through a particularly narrow, though short, passage, she replies to Benedict's query:

    "Huh, flattery don't hurt, I s'pose, but as long as you're not hurling insults, I don't think it's that important. Sometimes they like to make a show of being proper and formal, but below the surface they don't care. On the other hand, they like to poke and prod at your feelings, but if ya don't rise to it, they get bored." Enfys sighs. "Course, it can still hurt a little."

    Enfys pauses to nimbly hop across a gap in the walkway. "What's most important is t' consider what they offer careful-like, and never offer anything to em for free. Anythin' free, to them, hasn't got value, and they'll lose interest, and think less of you for offerin'. But even a bit of gossip or news from above, if you make it seem worth something to you, why, then they'll want it twice as much. Finally, unless you makes em really mad, you shouldn't have to worry 'bout fighting em. They're mean, sure, but they like to take their time and know all about ya before they put in the claws, so to speak, and most times they prefer not doin' it themselves." Enfys looks back over her shoulder and gives an apologetic look. "Not sure what else I can think of."

    Enfys leads the party a little further on, into a wider passage. Due to the irregular nature of some of the tunnels, it's difficult to tell precisely where under the city the party is.

    "Just one or two more turns, should be. Uh-oh, watch out above. I've not been down this way for a while; looks like some slime has moved in on the ceiling. As long we don't walk under it we should be fine, though. I'll have to come back an clear it out." Enfys stops and points upward to the centre of the ceiling some twenty or so feet ahead, where a patch of shiny green mold-like growth is illuminated by the lamplight. She pulls out a scrap of parchment from one of many pouches and scratches a mark on it with a pencil stub. "Looks like if we keep to the right we can squeeze by."

    Enfys continues down the right walkway, keeping an eye upward as she passes the below and to the right of the slime patch. Once she's ten feet past, she waves the rest onward. Before any of the party can catch up, however, there is a scrabbling sound from the old wall beside Enfys, and a small section of it collapses. Enfys steps clear of the debris, then shouts out "Ware! Stinglings!" She then leaps nimbly across the sewer channel to the left walkway. She lands on all fours, then spins to face the collapsed wall, where several centipede-like creatures have crawled out from a hidden burrow. As the 'stinglings' scuttle onto the walkway, Enfys pulls a clay flask from beneath her cloak and brings it up to her head-lamp. Enfys then tosses the flask, now with lit wick, at the vermin, where is crashes on the walkway and bursts into flame. A good amount of burning oil splashes onto the lead stingling, which shrieks in pain and thrashes about violently before curling up and lying still. Three other stinglings emerge onto the walkway, chittering.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Roll Initiative! Enfys has acted on initiative count 20; the stinglings will act again on count 5.If you are higher than 5 take your turn. Don't worry about inter-party order for the first round, at least. The green slime-mold patches won't act unless you move under them, and it's a DC 10 Dex save to avoid it falling on you if you do.

    Here is a simple layout of the passage (one letter = five feet):

    Code:
    |. ~ ~ .|
    |. ~ ~ .|
    |. ~ ~ s|__
    |e ~ ~ s s_|
    |. ~ ~ x|
    |. ~ ~ .|
    |. m ~ .|
    |. m m .|
    |. ~ ~ p|
    |. ~ ~ p|
    |. ~ ~ p|
    |. ~ ~ .|
    |. ~ ~ .|
    |_ = wall
    . = walkway ( roughly 1 to 2 feet wide)
    ~ = water-filled sewer channel. Difficult terrain. Ranging from boot- to waist-deep.
    e = Enfys
    s = Stingling/centipede
    x = burning oil patch (5 fire damage for the next round to anything that enters it) and dead stingling.
    m = green slime-mold on ceiling. DC 10 Dex save to avoid it falling if moving under it.
    p = party member. You can decide on your marching order.

    If anything's not clear please let me know!
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  20. - Top - End - #290
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Exploding into furious action, Borgrim leaps straight across the water, moves forward as far as possible, and lobs his javeling in the face of the nearest stinglings. It matters not if they are good or bad stinglings, it matters not that Borgrim doesn't know what a stingling is - it matters only that they die.

    He lets out a roar to shake the streets and buildings above, and whether the spear strikes true or not, whether it kills or not - he draws his dagger, ready to leap across once more, to fell the remaining stinglings in a gruesome display of gore.

    On his face is a wide, fierce and somewhat disconcerting smile.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Jump: (1d20+6)[12]
    Attack: (1d20+6)[7] - that's an actual roll of 1. How thoroughly disappointing. Can I turn on Reckless Attack retroactively? I promise I meant to, only I forgot I had it =)
    Damage: (1d6+4)[7]
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-10-25 at 02:24 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa hears the scrabbling sound right away and even before the wall can collapse, she's drawing her hand crossbow. She tries to jump the muddy, stinky in all manners and ways unsavoury water, but her boot slips on a piece of slimy mould, her jump comes too short and she falls into it, grasping the walkway with her free arm. "Sh!t!"

    She pulls herself up onto the other side taking good care of keeping the mold between her and whatever that scrapping sound came from.

    When the centipedes appear, she waits for Enfys cue. Seeing the ratling's fiery attack, she shoots towards the midst of the vermins, casually asking: "Are they poisonous?"

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I made a spreadsheet map!

    Acrobatics - (1d20+6)[8], jump to the other side.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[16], on the middle centipede, the one just above the flaming square.
    Advantage - (1d20+6)[21], do I get advantage for darkness+darkvision? I guess not, since the flames must give some illumination? Or the crawlies may actually be somewhat blinded by the flames?
    Damage - (1d6+4)[8]
    Sneak attack - (1d6)[1], in case of advantage.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-10-25 at 09:54 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Suddenly, Ben sees all his companion jump over the water to the side, while in front of him a bunch of oversized insects spring forth. "Uhm, guys? " he asks. He's not afraid, but he'd rather have someone between himself and danger. He lets out a blast of energy before retreating the way he came.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+3)[16] to start rolling
    Ben: hit - (1d20+6)[10], ForceDMG - (1d10)[5] with Eldritch Blast, range 180ft. hitExtra - (1d20+6)[26] if somehow advantage.
    Then, he moves back to put some distance between himself and the enemy.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  23. - Top - End - #293
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Round 1

    Despite misjudging her jump and slipping into the sewer channel, Rosa aims well and her quarrel finds its mark. The bolt thuds into the first stingling's head, piercing its left composite eye. The creature thrashes and tumbles into the sewer water, splashing about for a moment before floating still. {8 damage}

    Enfys calls out in reply: "Yup, they've got's a nasty bite!"

    Benedict hangs back a little further and decides not to risk jumping across the channel. He takes a breathe to steady his aim and releases a streak of forceful magic at the next stingling. The creature, its attention occupied by the fire and Enfys and Borgrim, is caught unawares and the blast crushes into the side of its head. It crumples instantly, very dead. {15 damage}

    Borgrim is slightly slower to action, but makes up for it in volume. He a few steps to gain speed he leaps effortlessly over the channel and takes up position beside Enfys. He hurls the javelin in his hand toward the third stingling, which has not yet had time to move past its dead brethren. The javelin skewers the many-legged bug and it oozes thick, dark blood onto the stone. It hisses in pain and struggles to move toward its attacker, but its strength rapidly fades. {7 damage}

    Behind the dead stinglings, two more creatures rush out from the collapsed wall. The first barrels into the water toward Enfys, and snaps at the sewer guide with its large mandibles when it draws near. Enfys neatly steps out of the way of the lunging bite. The second new stingling skirts the edges of the burning oil pitch and enters the sewer channel, swimming inefficiently toward Rosa. As it passes underneath the slime-moulds on the ceiling, a patch of the slime quivers and falls toward the stingling. The stingling manages to squirm out of the way of the falling mould, which splashes noisily into the sewer water. The slime-mould spreads a little in the water and bobs up and down, but otherwise remains motionless.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Spreadsheet Map.

    Initiative: Rosa 23, Enfys 20, Benedict 16, Borgim 8, Stinglings 5.

    Forgot to roll a Dex save for the stingling: Dex - (1d20+2)[12]

    Dice rolls: HERE

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Attack: [roll1] - that's an actual roll of 1. How thoroughly disappointing. Can I turn on Reckless Attack retroactively? I promise I meant to, only I forgot I had it =)
    Damage: [roll2]
    Borgrim can reckless swing. I rolled (and hit!) for him in the dice rolling thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    [roll2], do I get advantage for darkness+darkvision? I guess not, since the flames must give some illumination? Or the crawlies may actually be somewhat blinded by the flames?
    Since Rosa made a fair bit of noise splashing through the sewer water, and her position was within the stingling's blind sense range, she didn't get advantage. But she still hits!

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    Ben: [roll1], [roll2] with Eldritch Blast, range 180ft. [roll3] if somehow advantage.
    Then, he moves back to put some distance between himself and the enemy.
    Since Ben stayed relatively motionless and was well beyond the stingling's sense range (they don't have darkvision), he was hidden from them and had advantage, and so critical hit on his attack.

    Round 1 Done:
    Stingling 1: Dead
    Stingling 2: Dead
    Stingling 3: Dead
    Stingling 4: Beside Enfys and Borgrim, missed its attack against Enfys.
    Stingling 5: Next to Rosa, used up its action moving.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-10-25 at 11:22 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  24. - Top - End - #294
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    With an enemy conveniently right next to him, Borgrim puts all of his considerable force and more limited rationality behind his attack. He runs at the wall, and takes a couple of steps up - to gain additional hight as he leaps onto the skitterling, putting his full weight behind his dagger as he plunges it into the annoying insect.

    As he does this, he goes: hup, harumph .. RAAAHHHH!!!!

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Athletics: (1d20+6)[19] to gain +0 damage on the attack
    Attack with advantage: (1d20+6)[22] or (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage: (1d4+6)[10]

    Ah yes .. much more satisfying. Of course, the creature will be long dead when we reach Borgrims pitiful initiative ... but still =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-10-26 at 03:03 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Ben keeps it's distance as he prepares to blast whatever is left standing (or crawling) after his friends' attacks.
    Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Ben: hit - (1d20+6)[24], hitExtra - (1d20+6)[19] if advantage, ForceDMG - (1d10)[3] with Eldritch Blast, range 180ft
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Thanks for the tip, Enfys," Rosa's eyes go from her empty crossbow to the ceiling, to the seemingly inert lob of mould floating in the water, "think I'll risk it anyways!"

    That rat may well look like fruit of twenty-hundred generations of vicious goblinoid interbreeding and raping vermins, yet her mid-fight conversation is more fluent than Borgrim's borborygms, whispers the Joker.

    Rosa shakes her head to smother the distracting voice. She hustles to the side, ready to lunge and roll if needed, "come on Skittery, follow me!"

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    So, Rosa's going to move into I10, just south of Borgrim, risking an AoO from Skittery the sewertipede and maybe even, who knows, Mouldy the moss.
    If she reaches I10 (didn't update the map, waiting for AoO to resolve), she'll wave and shoot at "her" skiterling, trying to get it to run into or under that mould again.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[16], Damage - (1d6+4)[7] (If advantage - (1d20+6)[17], Critical damage - (1d6)[5].)
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  27. - Top - End - #297
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa skips over the nipping mandibles of the stingling and joins with Borgrim {AoO misses}. She turns and aims at the creature as it attempts to crawl up onto the walkway. Rosa's quarrel strikes it squarely in the neck, nocking the critter back into the sewer channel {7 damage}.

    Enfys hurriedly pulls a small cudgel from underneath her cloak and waves it about in an attempt to ward off the stingling accosting her and distract it at the same time, in order to grant Borgrim an opening to attack. "Back, get back, ya dumb bug!" {Help: adv. to Borgrim}

    Benedict gathers his magical power once more and releases a bolt of force toward the struggling stingling. The magic strikes it from behind, causing the bug to tumble over into the fallen patch of slime mold, which soon completely envelopes the hapless creature. Wisps of smoke and an acrid smell rise from the slime {3 damage, dead}.

    Borgrim, propelling his entire body behind his large knife, crashes down onto the sole remaining stingling. His knife drives into the critters head and the force of his jump carries his arm further, completely crushing its exoskeleton. The body instantly goes limp, and blood and brain matter ooze out onto Borgrim's knife hand.

    The immediate threat dealt with, Enfys peers past the collapsed wall into the opening beyond. "Can't see any more of the buggers. Think that's all of 'em." She stows her cudgel and lifts a hand to her pointed ear, listening. Satisfied, she adds, "Can't hear none of em neither. Sorry bout that. Thought this way'd be clear, but looks like I was wrong. No one got bit, did they?" Enfys looks apologetically to Borgrim and Rosa.

    Enfys looks over to Benedict. "Ya'll right over there? The slime don't move much, so it should be fine to walk past on the walkway." The ratling guide hops back over to the collapsed wall and takes a closes look at the minor cave-in. By the light of the head-lamp you can see a small room beyond. The room suggests it may have once been a foyer or entry room, despite the insect refuse scattered about. A small pile of animal remains lies in one corner, and in another, a clutch of a half-dozen, round spheres.

    "Ah, looks like a little nest o' them beasties. I'll burn it once we've taken a look. Mind yer step." Enfys sets about gathering up an egg in a cloth sack, and then removing a mandible from one of the stinglings. Past her, there is a half-filled in doorway into another small room beyond the first. Remarkably, a small, ancient chest of drawers stands against the far wall, half-buried in earth. A small glint of light from the direction of the chest catches your eye.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    ROLLS.
    Combat over for now. If you'd like to roll some Investigation checks for the two rooms, go ahead. Also if you'd like to harvest any parts of the stinglings, you can roll Nature or Survival checks and I'll see what you manage to salvage. Rosa can only retrieve one of her quarrels (the second was destroyed by the slime-mould), and Borgrim can recover his javelin.

    Spoiler: Investigation DC 8
    Show

    A bronze battle-axe is wedge between the back of the chest of drawers and the old stone wall.

    In the top drawer of the chest of drawers is a small locked jewelry box (DC 14 to pick).

    Spoiler: Investigation DC 13
    Show

    At the back of the chest of drawers, almost covered in dirt, is a round, polished bronze mirror, surprisingly untarnished (once the dirt is off).
    Among pile of animal bones are 20 gold pieces.


    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-10-28 at 10:40 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  28. - Top - End - #298
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim beams with satisfaction, half-covered in insect ichor. He cleans his knife, then mumbles, mostly to himself: I name thee Bugsplat, and bless thee in this .. whatever this green stuff is. Then he walks over to retrieve his javelin, and mumbles on I name thee .. um .. bug .. oh, screw it, I suppose not every weapon needs a name.

    Increasingly, it's becoming clear that Borgrim never used any of his weapons before, and one has to wonder - perhaps - to whom they belong a week ago. And where the body lies.

    Then, he stalks into the small room, his eyes glimmering with the prospect of loot. With Rosa already engages in searching, he instead goes to the opening onwards. Enfys already listened, so surely there's no danger beyond? He will peek inside the next room - dagger ready.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    A question: Are the mandibles of the stinglings large enough - and strong and sharp enough - to make a decent dagger? Having a beast mandible for a dagger feels proper barbaric to Borgrim, so he's certainly considering that.

    Also, Investigation: (1d20+1)[9]


    Hey Enfys, he mumbles, head poked through the half-filled opening, how does a foyer happen to be here, underground, in the sewers?

  29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    When the skitterling pursuing her is felled by arcane forces, Rosa raises her voice towards whatever shadow Benedict has disappeared into: "Oooh! Nice shot!"

    And then as suddenly as it started, the fight seems to be over. Rosa turns to Borgrim with a smile. "Been wondering: Was that a warcry or you trying to expectorate some piece of mould got stuck in your throat?"

    Rosa doesn't wait for either Borgrim's answer or Enfys and their guide's headlamp light. She's already jumping across the water. Sounds of rummaging come from the room.

    "Will you look at that! It's your lucky day, Slayer, found a replacement to your forsaken weapon. It's bronze, must be damn old, and probably enachanted too, not to have verdigried into a mass of, well, verdigris." She leans the axe against an old wall.

    She rummages some more. "Oooh, cute box. Wonder what's in it? I guess we'll have time to open it later." She ties the box to her pack. Then she comes out of the room, a mirror in hand, and blows on its surface, spreading dust in all direction. "This looks enchanted too. There's also some gold in a pile of, errrr, stuff, but as sewery as I am, I'm not putting my hands in it."

    Rosa finally seems to notice Enfys. "I don't think anybody got bit. Faust was too far, and Borgrim looks fine. Give me a minute."

    Rosa wraps the mirror in some spare cloth and secures it inside her pack. She takes out a small leather parcel, unwraps it to reveal a set of small metallic tools. With a perplexed look on her face, she takes a deep breath in. Rosa starts working the jewellery box's lock, with her tongue pointing out from the side of her mouth.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Rosa has thieves tool, but no proficiency with them. She still can try, right? Does she get disadvantage?
    Dex - (1d20+4)[13], Extra - (1d20+4)[22]
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-10-29 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Many typo
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  30. - Top - End - #300
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    What, like .. For King and Country? No, I don't do warcries. But you know, it's about being a battlefield presence. See? A large, fearless and very angry combatant often strikes fear into the hearts of enemies - also, it's very visible. So it often helps to keep others out of the line of fire.

    Borgrim takes the axe, giving it a few trial swings. Bronze, he mutters, apparently more disgusted by this substance than the green insect ichor still coating much of his body. Then he proceeds to thrust his in among the animal bones, to retrieve the gold and also give a good root around for anything else of value. Again, the attraction of the substance of gold easily overrides any revulsion to the substance of rotting animal carcass.

    Say Rosa - if you like, I can open that box for you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •