The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 450
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa sighs and raises her eyes towards Borgrim with a genuinely grateful smile. Suddenly, her usual scowl comes back. She contemplates the jewellery box again, then looks back towards Borgrim.

    "Well, the box is nicely made, it'd be a shame. Moreover, whatever the contents, which I must add are very probably of the highest value, since this intricate lock is produce of a master locksmith... what was I saying? Ah yes, that the invaluable contents of the box may well be irremediably damaged by your undoubtedly unorthodox, if ever efficient, ways of getting it open."

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Deception - (1d20+2)[19], it's not Rosa's fault, it's the master locksmith's! Master of Locks, Master of Evil. It is known.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim simply shrugs, as if to say just don't come to me later saying I didn't offer to help.

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "I, for one, welcome this kind of behavior." says Ben approvingly to Borgrim.

    He lets his companions complete the search and divide the spoils.
    "Please allow me to help with this." he says, touching their findings and cleaning them of grime and ichor.

    "You said these things are poisonous. Do you think we could extract some from these critters?" he wonders aloud, yet making no steps to investigate the matter himself. He looks at his companions expectantly instead.

    "I'm sure we can find a way to open it up once we are back in a more tranquil environment." he tells Rosa following her failure.
    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Casting prestidigitation. Repeatedly.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "That's a handy spell you got there..." Rosa pinches her nose, drags on her left earlobe with her right hand, while spouting gibberish and suddenly, all nearby flames turn blue and low ominous whispers fill the air for a few seconds.

    "I say, mine's more fun and showy, but yours sure is more useful. Regarding poison, well, it's not my thing. Maybe we should just gather chopped heads or mandibles and bring them to some alchemist above?"

    She then turns to Enfys: "So, you helped as much as anybody else. See anything in the loot you like?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Having fun with the Thaumaturgy cantrip...

    And NPC have feelings too, you know.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Not wanting to be left out, Borgrim finds something really heavy, and effortlessly lifts it over his head. Then he let's it crash to the ground to be splintered in a thousand pieces*. This thing he lifts is almost certainly the chest of drawers.

    * Not out of any sort of destructive urge. Just because he also wanted to show off, but now that he has, he just .. shrugs and tosses it aside.

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Thanks. It's a neat trick you got there, too." says Ben, trying not to be too condescending. "And yes, assistance should be rewarded. At least let us cover the cost of that firebomb you used." he adds, speaking to their guide.
    He takes a measured step backwards, putting himself just outside the radius of the splinters, then says flatly "I believe we are done here. Let's collect what we can and continue our journey, shall we?"
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "You're welcome, I guess?" replies Rosa to Faust, unsure of the reason for his gratitude. "It's just a pretty silly spell, when you think it through."

    Hearing a crash, she turns towards Borgrim standing over broken furniture. She looks puzzled at first, then nods to the half-orc. "Good idea, Borgrim, Enfys can use that splintered wood as kindling to burn the nest down," adds Rosa, with a smile and not even the barest hint of sarcasm.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Hey Enfys, he mumbles, head poked through the half-filled opening, how does a foyer happen to be here, underground, in the sewers?
    Enfys looks up from carefully cutting at a mandible. "Um, I think there used to be an old city here, long time afore Port Blacksand was settled. Port Blacksand was built on the ruins, far as I know. So I guess the fo-yay must be awful old."

    Rosa passes the bronze axe, cleaned by a few magically effortless gestures from Benedict, to Borgrim. The half-orc's distaste for the metal is plain on his face, but the trial swings reveal a competently made weapon. A narrow, sharp axe head is opposed by a small spike on the reverse. The haft is also of bronze, though likely covering a wooden core. Faint etch work covers much of the weapon. Holding the axe in his hand, Borgrim gets the impression it would be fairly accurate when thrown.

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "You said these things are poisonous. Do you think we could extract some from these critters?" he wonders aloud, yet making no steps to investigate the matter himself. He looks at his companions expectantly instead.
    Enfys sits back on her haunches and packs up a small round sac extracted from one of the critters. "Ye want this one? Jus have to be gentle with em, unless you have a vial or flask to drain them into. I can show you how I do it, if ye like. Bit messy, o' course." Enfys moves over to the next of the critters and sets to work, showing her technique to anyone interested. She notices Borgrim eyeing one of the mandible/stingers, and hands him one after wiping it down.

    The flame on Enfys' head-lamp flares and turns bright blue for a moment. The color change and shifting shadows caused by Rosa's spell result in the ratling letting out a startled "Eep!" and jumping to her feet. She looks around sheepishly when she realizes there isn't any imminent danger. "Oh, t'were just a trick... uh, right." Enfys returns to the critters and finishes harvesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    She then turns to Enfys: "So, you helped as much as anybody else. See anything in the loot you like?"
    Enfys smiles but shakes her head. "No, no, don't think I've much use for that sort o' things. Thank ye, but I really don't. Wouln't have been able to handle all them critters at once without you here, so in a way you've already helped me lots!"

    The ratling refuses Benedicts offer as well. "Oh, I can make em real inexpensive, don't you worry about it. My fault for leading ye into 'em, after all!"

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Hearing a crash, she turns towards Borgrim standing over broken furniture. She looks puzzled at first, then nods to the half-orc. "Good idea, Borgrim, Enfys can use that splintered wood as kindling to burn the nest down," adds Rosa, with a smile and not even the barest hint of sarcasm.
    Enfys wipes off her hands and straightens up. She watches as Borgrim utterly demolishes an aging dresser or something like it. She nods to Rosa's quip, completely missing any hint of joke.

    "Looked through everything, then? Alright, I'll just move that over here... and stand back, now... there we go! That'll get rid of 'em!" Enfys shoves the broken furniture over to the critter nest, and pulls out a small flask of oil, pouring some over the old wood. When the others are safely out of the way, she sets the small bonfire alight. She stands back, hands on her hips, a satisfied look on her face.

    "Right! On to the ladies. Not far now!" The diminutive guide pads along the walkway once more. A few short minutes later, after a last couple turns of the sewer, Enfys gestures toward a narrow arched doorway at the end of the walkway, lit from within by the flickering light of a fire. The ratling steps just inside and bows awkwardly, being careful not to spill any oil from her lamp.

    "M'lady Gloy, three kind folk seek your audience. Shall I send them in?" Enfys asks in a timid voice.

    The voice of an old woman replies, cold and dismissive: "Of course, of course! Don't just stand about on the threshold, invite them in!"

    Enfys steps back through the archway and waves the trio through. "The lady welcomes you."

    Inside, the large room is lit by a single large fire, over which a large iron cauldron bubbles. The smell which rise from it is hard to place, but not altogether unpleasant. The rest of the room is littered with all manner of odds and ends, curios and bits of furniture, with a multitude of small cages containing rats, toads, birds, bats, and other small creatures. Across from the entrance, an old woman in a fine cloak and robes, now faded and worn, sits upon a large carved wooden chair. Its high back is ornamented with bits of fur and bone and totems. The woman appraises the trio as they enter with one good eye, the other clouded and half-shut. Long grey hair falls lankly on the woman's shoulders. She rises from her seat, leaning on a wooden cane. The light of the fire flickers over her face and does a poor job of illuminating her.

    Lady Gloy addresses the trio in a sweeter tone, with a voice like honey added to sour milk: "Welcome, welcome! Step closer to the fire, fine folk, and warm yourselves! I am Lady Gloy, and these tunnels are my domain. I trust you have tales or news to offer, or perhaps something else to trade, yes? And what is it you seek from me, hmm? You wouldn't have come here otherwise, he he he!" The lady beckons with a single finger.

    Enfys follows the party in, and begins to unload some of the critter bits into a large clay pot in a corner of the Lady's room.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    So, I looked up some stuff on centipedes, and it turns out they have special appendages called 'forcipules', which are modified legs (the first set, just behind the head), and they are the pincer bits that inject the venom. These are separate from their regular mandibles. So for Borgrim, they'd be decent for stabbing stuff (pointy but not cutty), provided you attached some sort of handle. They'd probably make for a better club/war-pick type weapon, but that's up to you.

    If any of you want to transfer some of the venom from one of the sacs into a vial or something, feel free. Otherwise you can take one or two of the sacs which Enfys offered and transfer the venom to a safer container later. With proficiency added she would have beat the DC on the lock with her first roll.

    Rosa should have proficiency with Thieve's Tools, as rogues get them by default, regardless of whether you multi class into rogue or start as rogue. So lets just say that Rosa can take a bit of time when it's convenient and she can open the lock on the jewelry box.

    You'll have to take a bit of time to handle the mirror and the axe to figure out how magical they might be (or use Identify).

    If any of you take some of the centipede venom, here is what it does: Upon injury, the target must make a DC 11 Con save, or take 3d6 poison damage. It takes half damage on a successful save.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Enchanted, Lady Glory, and thank you for allowing us into your presence. The city above is abuss with tales of your beauty and wisdom - and so it is to you we turn, when we are in dire need of knowledge. But surely we would not come before you empty handed. We bring news, and gifts.

    Of course, we know not precisely which current events are news to you. Have you heard of the Raven cult? The corrupt high priest? Are you already familiar with the ancient feud between Nicodemus and the black sorceror they call Zanbar? Or have you, perhaps, heard tell of the fierce band of stalwart adventurers recently arrived in time? They say a mighty barbarian leads them,
    at this, Borgrim lights up in a huge smile, a fearless warrior of nigh-unhuman strength and ability - accompanied by two workers of mighty feats of dark magic.

    Tell us, fair Glory, what would you hear of first?

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa congenialy smiles at Enfys' refusal of her share of loot. "Of course, Enfys, as you prefer. Here's a gift to you: If anyone ever gives you trouble, ask the up-dwelling people for the Bloody Rose, put word out that you need her." Rosa delicately brushes Enfys' shoulder with the tip of two fingers. "I'll come to you, alright?"



    Later, once invited, Rosa enters the strangely cluttered room. She gives a discreet wink to Enfys as she passes past her.

    Rosa looks at all the piled up curios and debris with some suspiscion. Dark things lurking under dark shadows waiting to pounce unto a bloody end! slips the Slayer inside her mind.

    Rosa lets Borgrim take the lead in the negotiations, staying silent, giving only an akward cursty once when he makes his introduction, then again when he evokes his two sorcerous companions. It's hard to keep a straight face, witnessing the gap between Borgrim's usual behavior and his current dramatical turn of speech. The Master whispers in her ears: It indeed takes peculiar circumstances for the unwashed and uncivilized to stand as the one most apt to take charge of social encounters, given an encounter such as the present one be qualified as anything else as a parody of society.

    When Borgrim finishes, Rosa, who looked distracted until then, intervenes, remembering Enfys' warning against free gifts. "With all due respect, Master Grim, our host may well be bored by our tales and already tired by our presence. Maybe we should get to the cause of our visit and through efficiency save her precious time." Rosa turns towards Glory with another faint curtsy. "Madam, we come with dire news. We have heard reports of arrival in town of one Hag of the Night, a vile and wretched witch that haunts mortal's dreams. In the defense of the people of this city, both those leaving above and below, we're set after this foul creature. We were told of your deep and encompasing wisdom pertaining such matters and humbly come to you to light our path."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rosa really likes Enfys now. She's honest regarding her offer for future help.

    Rosa takes time to inspect the clutered odds and ends for anything waiting in ambush. Perception - (1d20+5)[21]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Enfys wipes off her hands and straightens up. She watches as Borgrim utterly demolishes an aging dresser or something like it. She nods to Rosa's quip, completely missing any hint of joke.
    Because, there was no deliberate joke on Rosa's part. The only way she could make sense of Borgrim breaking random furniture, in the current context, was producing fire wood. When you think of it, without access to Borgrim's internal stream of thinking, it's pretty logical.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "... for a price." adds Ben, frustrated that his companions have not taken to heart the warning of their guide. "We bring our tales and our services to you as the hour darkens, and I am sure that a revered figure such as yourself will have the means and the motivation to barter for them."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-11-05 at 02:38 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Rosa congenialy smiles at Enfys' refusal of her share of loot. "Of course, Enfys, as you prefer. Here's a gift to you: If anyone ever gives you trouble, ask the up-dwelling people for the Bloody Rose, put word out that you need her." Rosa delicately brushes Enfys' shoulder with the tip of two fingers. "I'll come to you, alright?"
    Enfys smiles a little uncertainly, caught off guard. "Oh, uh, it's very kind of ya, miss Rosa. I'll keep't in mind next time i've to go up above."



    As Borgrim makes his introduction Rosa scans the lair methodically. The dim light of the cook-fire and her superior eyesight allow her to see the room in near perfect detail. She sees no hint of any hidden dangers amongst the clutter and captive animals. Lady Gloy, preoccupied with Borgrim, takes no apparent notice of Rosa's wandering gaze.

    Lady Gloy smiles and wags a finger playfully at Borgrim. "Ah-ah! Flattery will only get you so far, young man! But oh my, aren't you and your witchy companions such an interesting trio. And such intriguing tales you offer: a fallen priest, and a long-dead sorcerer, returned to the mortal coil? How fascinating! Oh, dear Sister will beg to hear of those, oh yes!"

    Lady Gloy turns her head to peer past the cauldron and study Rosa intently as she speaks, returning Rosa's curtsy with a nod of acknowledgement. When Rosa finishes, Lady Gloy walks slowly toward Rosa, placing her cane deliberately as she steps, and stops a few feet away. The old woman leans forward and looks Rosa up and down. As Lady Gloy examines Rosa, her clouded eye opens fully and then rolls over for a moment to reveal a solid black iris. A second later it rolls back to clouded and the lid half-shuts once more. A half-smile tugs at a corner of the old woman's mouth.

    "My my, even more curious up close. The Bloody Rose, some call you. But you've had other names as well. Do you think you've outgrown them?"

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "... for a price." adds Ben, frustrated that his companions have not taken to heart the warning of their guide. "We bring our tales and our services to you as the hour darkens, and I am sure that a revered figure such as yourself will have the means and the motivation to barter for them."
    Lady Gloy leans back and taps the ground with her cane, nodding toward Benedict. "Ah, quite right you are, young man! I would not think to cheat you of your knowledge; a fair exchange is what I offer. You say you seek this hag y nos, 'hag of the night', as you call it. I know of it; my dear sister and I have been aware of its presence for some time, though it does not deign to enter our domain, out of fear and respect. Tell me of this fallen priest and this 'Zanbar', and I will give you the means to locate this lleidr breuddwydion, this dream-robber, and reveal it. Is that an acceptable offer?"

    Lady Gloy looks to each of the trio in turn. Enfys, meanwhile, rummages about quietly through a bench covered in small flasks and pottery.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "I... Yes... Yes, I do," answers Rosa, unconvincingly, clearly disturbed by what happened. She takes a step back from the witch and lowers her eyes towards her own gloved hands.

    A simple question, whispers the Master, and now you're acting like a maiden on her wedding night, mocks the Joker. She can't talk to you like this, murder the b!tch! No one talks to you like this! She thinks she knows the Bloody Rose? Show her blood! taunts the Slayer. Killing the hag would free that pathetic ratling from her influence, adds the Master, and you'd get your own pet rat to walk around town, devil cat and goblin rat, what a sight! continues the Joker. Yet, the hag clearly is too limited to guess at the true question: Has an imposter like you even earned that ridiculous, pompous, nom-de-guerre? Yes yes! Earn the name! Kill the b!tch! KILL KILL KILL

    Rosa's gaze still locked on her now shaking hands, she starts whispering, seemingly to herself: "Shut up... shut up..."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The GM has broken Rosa, and now she's introspecting. Move along, folks, nothing to see.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-11-08 at 07:01 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Ben looks to the left, where Rose is withering on some internal struggle, then to the right, where Borgrim stands tall and eager for an audience. "That is acceptable. May it be the beginning of a long and fruitful collaboration between us." he announces. He gestures towards the half-orc: "Bogrim here is a man of many talents, and telling tall tales is a specialty of his. I am sure he will make the tale justice."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim, who is as blunt as a blow to the nose, is completely baffled by Rose's whispering - in response to such a relatively harmless remark. However, devil worshipping madmen are .. well, devil worshipping madmen (in this case, madwomen, obviously), so he just shrugs and puts it behind him.

    Flattery, like all forms of politeness, is a means to an end. However, he adds with a wink, that is not to say it cannot also be the honest truth.

    We will gladly swap one tale for another. Or, if your tale of the night hag is particularly interesting, maybe we can do a one for two kinda deal. Which tale would you like to hear first, Lady Glory?

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "That is acceptable. May it be the beginning of a long and fruitful collaboration between us." he announces. He gestures towards the half-orc: "Bogrim here is a man of many talents, and telling tall tales is a specialty of his. I am sure he will make the tale justice."
    Lady Gloy looks Benedict up and down, nodding approvingly. "More than muscle, is he? Good, good, I'll trust your word on it, sorcerer. My appetite has been suitably wetted." Lady Gloy passes another quick look over Rosa, then turns to shuffle back to her fur-covered seat. She settles in and drums the fingers of one hand on the handle of her cane.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Flattery, like all forms of politeness, is a means to an end. However, he adds with a wink, that is not to say it cannot also be the honest truth.

    We will gladly swap one tale for another. Or, if your tale of the night hag is particularly interesting, maybe we can do a one for two kinda deal. Which tale would you like to hear first, Lady Glory?
    Lady Gloy chortles. "You'll make me blush if you carry on like that. For a tale, tell me of the priest first. Ah, I so love a falling, and I simply cannot wait! Please begin!" Lady Gloy gestures to Borgrim to commence his telling.

    Just before Borgrim begins, Lady Gloy seems to remember something and calls to Enfys: "Rat-- er, Enfys, dear, fetch the crystal orb, would you?" She turns back to Borgrim and then looks over to Rosa as another half-smile creeps into the corner of her mouth. "My apologies. Do begin, young sir."

    Enfys pauses rummaging through flasks and vials to move over a few steps to an ancient armoire, upon which sits a cage with two turtles. She sifts through the clutter as quietly as she can. After a minute or so of searching, she retrieves a fist-sized orb of opaque crystal, which she hands to Lady Gloy. Lady Gloy sets it upon her lap and shoos Enfys away, who returns to the flasks.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Don't feel you need to go into detail about everything regarding Furtha the Priest. I'm fine with keeping things short In Character.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-11-08 at 11:47 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Well, you see, Borgrim begins, a smile spreading onto his features, in a way, it all begins with a girl - Naihm. See, she is an unusually lovely thing, not unlike myself, crafted by nature and her strong ancestry into something the please the eye and stir the blood!

    So when I first saw her, I immediately knew I had to .. win her heart - or die trying ...


    Borgrim weaves a stirring tale, avoiding elements the hag isn't paying for, like the crow cult, and instead embellishing the tale with details of his little jewel heist. He does include the fact that the priest made a deal with some dark entity - and also that another, quite possibly even darker entity - was drawn in by the ritual. He does not mention that this other entity was Zanbar. Again, she'll have to pay for that.

    So all in all, it's a tale of the priest, and his corruption - but also of young love, and daring mischief .. and let's be honest, he propably mentions Petra, too. He is, after all, playing the role of the dashing rogue.

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa seems still lost inside herself. Her hands are steadying. Once or twice her while body suddenly stiffens, and she has to take support on a nearby wall. Her breathing has become heavy and noisy. There's cold sweat on her brow.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Mid-exaggerated-tale of personal heroism corrupted priest with a sprinkle romance drama, Borgrim notices Rosa is acting .. well .. stranger than usual. He places a hand lightly on her shoulder, and enquires: Say, are you ok? Do you need .. I dunno, a moment, or some water? I think I have some calming tea in my pack - you know, the one the secret sorcerer served us.

    The 'secret sorcerer' - Nicodemus - is obviously another trap to catch the hag's interest.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I don't consider it too much of a stretch that Borgrim stole some tea along the way - of course it somewhat hinges on how Nico stores it. But at least for his part, Borgrim has a very weak grasp on the idea of personal property.

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa grabs Borgrim's forearm, at first to steady herself, then to remove his hand from her shoulder. She shakes her head. "I'm fine... a temporary spell. Must be those sewer smells making my head turn. I'm already over it."

    Yet, Rosa still keeps her eyes down.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    As Bogrim speaks, Ben puts his arcane talents to use, providing images and sound effects to compliment the retelling.
    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Casting minor illusion. The idea is not to make a motion picture but to complement what is being said with snippets here and there. Like some talk shows, if you know what I mean.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Lady Gloy coos and chortles with delight at Borgrim's expert telling, enhanced tastefully by Benedicts illusions. She pays little attention to Rosa while Borgrim spins his yarn. When he finishes, Lady Gloy claps enthusiastically.

    "Oh, dear sister will be so jealous! A fine tale, and well told. The first half of our bargain: this nighthag has taken up residence in an unoccupied house on the north end of Winding Street. You will know the place by its round, yellow-painted door, which little Enfys so helpfully spied out." She reaches out with her left hand, offering the opaque crystal ball. "This you can take and give to your wizardly mentor -- yes, I can smell his tobacco all over you-- if you wish to spy on the nighthag from afar. Now, if you want to know a means of overcoming the dream-robber's shapeshifting, then I require the tale of the Zanbar."

    Enfys glances over to Rosa with a look of concern on her face as Borgrim places a hand on Rosa's arm. Lady Gloy catches the glance, and scowls for a moment at Enfys, who hurriedly turns about, back to the flasks. Lady Gloy looks back toward Rosa.

    "Oh my, is little Rosadon feeling unwell? Perhaps a little fish stew, to set her right?" Lady Gloy's voice takes on a particularly sweet and cloying tone.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I don't consider it too much of a stretch that Borgrim stole some tea along the way - of course it somewhat hinges on how Nico stores it. But at least for his part, Borgrim has a very weak grasp on the idea of personal property.
    I'm perfectly fine with this .

    Nicodemus can use the crystal ball for his Scrying ritual if you like.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  23. - Top - End - #323
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Ahh - the tale of Zanbar Bone, the Skin-Shed Sorcerer. Well, necromancer to be entirely accurate, but who's really counting, right? It happens to also be the tale of Nicodemus. And, incidentally, it happens to touch vitally upon the tale of our corrupt priest.

    See, it begins long ago, with two friends and colleagues, adventuring spell casters both: Zanbar and Nicodemus ...


    Borgrim recounts the tale of the two, how Zanbar slowly turned to evil, and rivalry with his old friend. How he was eventualoly defeated - but is now back, and sensed the ritual of our corrupt priest. He will also explain how a final death awaits Zanbar, but shed no light on how this is to come about. In part because we don't really know, but she doesn't need to know that we don't.

    Picking up on Ben's illusions, he will try to build up narrative tension, so that Ben will know what images to bring forth - adding drama and showmanship to the telling.

    As for Rosa, Borgrim is a respectful gentleman. When she states that she's fine, he shrugs 'ok' and moves on. Basically - if you need something, why would you say you don't?!

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa doesn't rise to Gloy's bait. She stays silent and motionless where Borgrim left her.

    Instead, a humorless smile twist her downturned face. She notices Enfys' glance and, with a slight turn of her head, makes eye contact, her gaze grown cold.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Basically, Rosa's letting the hag gloat, but as soon as the party gets what it wants of Gloy, she's going to make her regret her provocations.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Uh-oh. Ominous.

    Initiative: (1d20+2)[17] - don't know what for, yet, but if it becomes relevant, there it is =)

  26. - Top - End - #326
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Lady Gloy once again claps with delight and glee as Borgrim tells his illusion-enhanced tale. She seems particularly intrigued by the potential for a sequel, when Zanbar is finally defeated, but is completely satisfied with the story being unfinished for the time being. Rosa's lack of response causes the old lady to appear to lose interest in her prodding questions.

    "Another fine tale! You must return when it is done, and let me know how it ends. I'm sure I have some knowledge or treasure to trade for it, of equal value. Now, the final exchange." Lady Gloy produces a small pouch and offers it forward. "Contained herein is a powder, that thrown at the Dream-eater will force it into its natural shape, and prevent it, for a time, from shapeshifting. And the young lady," Lady Gloy indicates Rosa, "bears with her a mirror which when gazed through, will pierce any glamour or illusion or shifting to reveal a creature's true form. It will allow you to spy out the hag y nos even when it attempts to hide in the shape of another. With that, I believe our business is concluded. I must summon my sister and speak with her. A good day to you three; Enfys, be a dear and see them out and safely through the sewers, will you?"

    Enfys, having seen Rosa's cold star, nods in assent and keeps her head down. She steps toward the trio to lead them out, but is hesitant. Lady Gloy seems to lose interest in the trio once the deal is done, and contents herself with muttering under her breath and chuckling to herself. She doesn't appear to care that Borgrim, Ben, and Rosa might hear her.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Basically, Rosa's letting the hag gloat, but as soon as the party gets what it wants of Gloy, she's going to make her regret her provocations.
    Understood. I honestly wasn't expecting the first mention of Rosa's names to be quite so effective at getting under her skin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Uh-oh. Ominous.

    Initiative: [roll0] - don't know what for, yet, but if it becomes relevant, there it is =)
    I'll keep it in mind .
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-11-10 at 08:44 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa waits for someone to take hold of the pouch.

    As they're invited to leave, Rosa also mutters under her breath. Darkness seems to envelop her as every nearby flame grows dimmer.

    "Not the final exchange, Gloy." Rosa's voice stays low and assured.

    Rosa at last raises her face towards the hag. In the darkness her eyes glow red with the promise of murder. " A fair trade: One life for another. I want Enfys' freedom."

    Rosa's cold smile comes back. "You may refuse, forcing me to take my offer to your sister. With your head. She may think twice before implying familiarity with the Bloody Rose."

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Well, Rosa is pretty nuts. She just keeps it well hidden most of the time. She hears voices and has strong identity issues. When you're borderline mad, sometimes the smallest thing can push you over the edge.

    She really doesn't like slavery and oppression, especially of those she perceives as innocent or needing protection, like Enfys.

    I'm using two castings of thaumaturgy for the darkness and glowing eyes.

    Intimidate - (1d20+2)[5] (Extra - (1d20+2)[9]) ΙDIT: I guess Gloy is used to all kinds of crazy people trying to shake her down.

    And also, in case Gloy decides the negotiations are over: Initiative - (1d20+9)[15]
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-11-11 at 05:15 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Ben is quick to take the pouch when it is offered, with a courteous dip of the head for thanks. He goes back, ready to leave, when Rose surprises him with her final request. His blood freezes for a second: 'this was not the plan', he thinks.
    He is quick to try and defuse the tension, though he is as prepared as anyone for violence to erupt.

    "Ladies, no need to disrupt such a productive meeting. We've established a... a rapport, if you don't mind me saying." he speaks in a conciliatory tone, looking at the two women in turn but making sure not to step in the line of fire. "Should Enfys be eager to leave his post, I am sure we can come up with something to trade Lady Gloy for it. For the trouble and for fairness, really, for I am sure she doesn't really need the small creature, right?"

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Using diplomacy, with advantage from Tides of Chaos if not already present.
    Persuasion - (1d20+6)[22], PersuasionADV - (1d20+6)[22].
    If things fail, rolling Initiative - (1d20+3)[16]
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  29. - Top - End - #329
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Enfys is about to tug at Rosa's cloak tails, when she is interrupted by the tiefling's thaumaturgical theatre, and Enfys ducks back toward the entryway. Her eyes are wide and she looks on with uncertainty.

    All pretence of sweetness drops from Lady Gloy's face as Rosa uses theatrical touches of magic to empower her words. Lady Gloy is un-cowed, however, and responds in an even, hard voice. As she speaks, her face seems to flicker with the firelight, hinting at something just beneath it {Intimidate: failure}.

    "You forget yourself, young lady. I have invited you into my hearth, and conducted myself most magnanimously. And In return, you threaten me and demand I relinquish a most dear servant, who I raised from a whelp? No, I am weary of your sullenness. Leave, and do not return."

    Benedict interposes with his polite tone and seems to have a positive effect on Lady Gloy {Persuasion: success}. She calms a little, regaining control of whatever mask conceals her face, and listens to what Benedict suggests, finally nodding slightly.

    "Yes, very well. The young lady has upon her person a grimoire, written in Nicodemus' hand. I want it. Give it to me, and in exchange I will release Enfys from her service, free to do as she pleases. Otherwise, leave at once." Lady Gloy points imperiously to Rosa, and then keeps her hand outstretched, awaiting the grimoire.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    Just to clarify, Lady Gloy is asking for the grimoire that you found in Nicodemus' house, NOT Rosa's personal spellbook. In case there was any confusion.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-11-11 at 11:03 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  30. - Top - End - #330
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Say what you will of Borgrim - he's quiet clear in his loyalties: When the mood sours, his hands immediately produce weapons, oversized dagger in one, and the new, nifty throwing axe in the other. He mutters, not really adressing anyone, quite possibly just igniting his own Rage - but quite possibly appearing even more menacing than otherwise:

    I am Borgrim. Of those who fought me, none still walk the lands of the living. I shatter walls and leap buildings. I cleave men in twain. Behold my wrath and tremble, for I am the landslide that crushes you, the storm that tosses you, the lightning that strikes without warning. I .. am Borgrim!

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Intimidate: (1d20+3)[22] - as always, consider that a very large, muscular man, seeting with barely contained Rage, wielding fearsome weapons, might add strength rather than charisma as his bonus =)

    Although in this case, it might be irrelevant =D
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-11-11 at 01:28 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •