The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 288
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa steps under the overhang on her left, cleverly disguising her preparations and pulling a silver coin from her purse as she does. She can see the two ambushers across the street have not yet pulled back their bowstrings; they do not yet suspect something is amiss.

    Benedict, bringing up the rear, nonchalantly takes a few steps back toward the alley to the west (left side). Outwardly, he appears to loiter for a moment out of the rain.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Borgrim still has time to decide what course of action he wishes to take before the boy reaches them.

    the two ambushers Insight checks:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    [roll0] (4)
    [roll1] (4)
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-17 at 10:47 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There are a few actions described here. A few of them could trigger combat. Consider it a declaration of intent. I'll edit my post if combat starts sooner than I'd like.


    When the child approaches her, Rosa puts her dagger back into her belt. She crouches to make their faces level, then pushes a silver piece into his palm, before whispering to the child.

    Spoiler: Whispers
    Show
    In a deadly serious, non patronizing voice: "These men using you are not your friends. One day they will turn against you, if they haven't already. If you want to live free, run down Bridge, into Market and then to the Spotted Dog. Wait for me there. I'll check on you in a couple days. Anyone gives you trouble, tell them you're under the Bloody Rose's wing. Now you better run, kiddo."


    Rosa takes the paper from the kid, and as she stand up, loses it. "Oopss..." She turns to the bowmen accross the street, letting her hood fall down to show her face. Hoping your undeserved reputation will save you, girl? Even if these idiots know you, their intellect sure seems below a frog's and its self preservation instincts.

    "Would you guys be gentlemen and kind enough to help a delicate Lady pick this paper up from the filth? I unfortunately didn't get the time to read what's on it? I guess not. I must say I don't like amateurs. But I especially hate people taking advantage of children."

    Rosa nonchalantly pushes the flap her cloak away, showing her loaded crossbow, keeping it pointed on the ground.

    "Consider this your only and last warning."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Loki bless stupid ambushers...

    So, there are bowmen above Rosa, i.e. above that hoverhang under which she is standing, and also bowmen accross the street? I'm a bit confused.

    Three upstairs and two accross the street? At least 5, then?

    Convincing the child: Persuasion - (1d20+2)[4].
    Convincing the thugs: Intimidation - (1d20+2)[20].
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim takes in the situation, and makes a decision. A rash one, but ... well, what are barbarians for, anyways? When you bring a barbarian instead of a philosopher, you know what you're getting.

    Go left - I'll go right!

    Wasting no further time or breath on senseless jawing, Borgrim takes a short sprint, a solid leap, and tries to reach the window above. As he runs, he draws his stupidly large dagger, and sticks it in his teeth.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Go left - I'll go right!
    "Wait? What!" for a short instant, Rosa is utterly baffled by Borgrim's actions. He sure is one for active diplomacy!

    Yet the tiefling recovers fast enough to look for cover.

    Another, glance at Borgrim shows him dangling from the building's facade. "Hang in there, Local Hero!"

    Rosa takes aim and shoots her crossbow.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    If possible, Rosa relocates behind cover. (See OoC thread.)

    The guys Rosa sees are the ones Borgrim is charging, right? If so, she shoots the one farthest from Borgrim, if not, the closest target: Attack - (1d20+6)[11], Damage - (1d6+4)[9] (extra roll if (dis)advantage Attack - (1d20+6)[20], Crit - (1d6)[5]).

    Hand crossbow short range is 30ft, which should be enough.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Ben had envisioned a fight where they all remained behind cover as they traded blows, with their superior marksmanship helping them prevail or just legging it if it turned out to be the other way around. In retrospect, he greatly miscalculated what their barbarian friend would do.

    Cussing a little under his breath, he wishes his Raven to help the poor fool secure a foothold on a second story room (for the Goddess' sake!) by flying in he face of the current occupant, while he took a shoot at one of the other archers.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The boy hesitates and considers Rosa's words. One of the Archers above calls down: "...What? No, you're supposed t'give us the gold... that's how it works, ain't it Rupert?" There is a note of uncertainty in his voice.

    There is moment of stillness as the rain itself seems to hold its breath... and then the street erupts into action. The boy takes off at a sprint eastward down the alley toward The Noose. Completely unprepared for the 'marks' to take the initiative, the would be ambushers are caught dumb-founded as a large, muscled half-orc leaps across the street toward the overhang below them.

    Rosa, ever prepared, is the first to act. While Borgrim is still mid-leap, she fires off a quarrel which just misses its mark and thunks into a window frame, inches from a shocked archer's face. She then skips back two steps and presses into a door frame, protecting herself from retaliation {half cover, +2 AC}. Her cat, Mao, hunkers down against the slate tiles of the rough, blending in remarkably well.

    Benedict's raven flies forward and harries the archer that is Borgrim's target, which easily allows the fast climbing half-orc to climb up and defenestrate the archer from below. The archer tumbles down to the street, landing painfully on his back with a hard thump and a gasp. Borgrim finishes his climb, heaving himself over the window sill and into the second story, brandishing his dagger at the remaining archer.

    Benedict, taking careful aim, fires a blast of eldritch magic toward the fallen archer. The energy strikes the archer solidly in the shoulder. He cries out in pain, then slumps over, unconscious.

    The archer lying in the street, dazed by his fall, slowly finds his feet and then trots with weezing breaths a short distance east down the alley toward the noose. He then turns and half-heartedly fires an arrow toward Rosa.

    Finally, the archer in the second story, faced with Borgrim's threatening dagger, drops his bow and pulls a hangar (scimitar) from his belt. He hesitates for just a second and then cuts wildly at Borgim with his sword. Borgrim doesn't blink and easily bats the blade aside.

    Spoiler: ROUND 1
    Show

    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

    Rosa 23
    Raven 19
    Borgrim 11
    Benedict 8

    EA2 - 8 (defenestrated)
    EA1 - 5 (second story, drew sword)

    WA2 - 9 (surprised)
    WA1 - 3 (surprised)
    WA3 - 3 (surprised)


    Defenestrated EA2 fall damage and attack:
    FallDam - (2d6)[6]
    Attack - (1d20+1)[18]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[5] Crit - (1d6)[5]


    EA1 Attack against Borgrim:
    Attack - (1d20+1)[12]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[3] Crit - (1d6)[4]

    Rosa has half-cover from above, Borgim has half-cover from the archers on the west side of the street.
    EA2 is downed, EA1 (next to Borgrim) is unhurt.

    Start at the top of round 2 with Rosa.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-18 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Benedict would have gone for the kill, I assume.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim smiles dangerously at the bandit, and decides to be nice. He growls: Consider very carefully whether this is worth dying for.

    If the man surrenders, he'll get no worse than a bloodied face and a ringing headache. If he does not, however, he'll get to worry about holding his guts in with his broken hands.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Rage! Reckless Attack! Also, I'm using the dagger because swinging a giant sword around inside a tiny flat seems ... dubious. But I bet the rules make no difference, right?
    Attack: (1d20+6)[23] or (1d20+6)[20]
    Damage: (1d4+6)[8]

    Also, in case it's relevant: (1d20+1)[20] to Intimidate - but I'm not spending an action on this. He get's his chance to drop his weapon, in which case I'm hoping GM will allow a coup-de-grace non-lethal punch to the nose =)

    If the bandit ends up on the floor one way or the other, Borgrim will look for some way to get across the street to the other house. This could include leaping (though these slums have disconcertingly wide streets), walking a clothesline (similarly risky), or something similar.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Damn!" Rosa swears has her bolt misses its mark. She's already reloading when the other archer falls not far of her not unlike a bag of flour.

    She's taking aim at the fallen archer when some sort of colourful blast roasts him. Interesting. Kill burn burn! They say it's not the fall that kills, neither the landing it appears, the crisping's the one does the trick, haha.

    Rosa takes a couple step inside the street, away from the overhang and fires at the archers on her own side, before retreating behind the doorframe.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+6)[10], Damage - (1d6+4)[10] (Extra - (1d20+6)[25], Critical damage - (1d6)[3].)
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa peeks out from below the overhang, crossbow aimed and at the ready. As the first of the archers on the west side lean out to shoot, Rosa's quarrel flies upward and strikes true {advantage, sneak attack}. With a gurgling cry the archer clutches at his throat, loses his balance, and falls head-first onto the cobblestones below, dead.

    Benedict's Raven shift's its focus to the second archer on the east side, fluttering behind him. His eyes widen in fear as he hears another of his fellows fall to the street. A moment later, a streak of magical force from below hits him square in the chest: a well-aimed shot at a tricky angle from Benedict. The archer staggers backward. Babbling incoherently, he throws down his sword and falls to his knees before Borgrim, pleading for his life.

    Borgrim turns his attention to the opposite side of the street and the remaining two archers (west side). He takes a step back, and then takes a running leap across to the opposite window, propelling himself forcefully from the window ledge. He lands like a great gibbon, hanging onto the sill and bracing his legs on the top of the overhang. The archer before him barely has time to yelp in surprise before he is pulled and hurled bodily to the street below {7 damage}. Borgrim then hops over the sill into the western building.

    The last archer, showing perhaps foolhardy courage, drops his bow and draws his sword, cutting upward at Borgrim as he does so. "Have at you, cur!" He cries as he cuts across Borgrim's forearm shallowly {2 damage after rage}; Borgrim barely takes notice.

    The fallen archer staggers to his feet and tosses an arrow Rosa's way, but his aim is bad and the arrow flies well wide of the mark. He turns and limps away, making for the alley heading toward The Noose.


    Spoiler: Round 2
    Show

    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

    Rosa 23
    Raven 19
    Borgrim 11
    Benedict 8

    EA2 - 8 (defenestrated, unconscious)
    EA1 - 5 (surrendered, cowering)

    WA2 - 9 (Shot in throat, fell to death)
    WA1 - 3 (Defenestrated, limping away, 7 damage)
    WA3 - 3 (Drew sword, cuts Borgrim)


    Rolls Here.
    Borgrim's Long Jump is 19 feet, so he can easily make the ~16 foot leap from one side of the street to the other. (the overhang means the second stories are closer together than street level).

    I used iTookUrNick's OOC post to determine Ben's actions; if you disagree, I can edit the post.
    I took a few liberties with order and what Borgrim wanted to do; if there is anything you disagree with I can edit the post !
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-19 at 11:09 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The small cut across his ribs only makes Borgrim's battle-smile even wider. Sure, he likes to allow lesser men a chance to chose life - but when they don't, he truly relishes demonstrating to them precisely how poorly they've chosen. With a roar of unbridled fury, he whips out his huge blade, and proceeds to cleave his opponent in twain.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    There's a thread for rolls? Hm, I'll get around to that.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[12] or (1d20+6)[8]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[12]

    That is just ... pathetic. Less yelling, more hitting, please. Jeez, Borgrim.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-05-19 at 11:10 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Nice leap!" yells Rosa, seeing Borgrim fly from building to building. Like a bull crossed with a frog.

    Rosa sees an archer thrown above the street. "Try to take one alive!" And then an arrow clunks on the stone beside her head. She realize with great surpise the thrown archer is still alive. "That's it? I wasn't even looking and you—" but the man is already running away. "Yeah! That's it! Get the hell outta my face!" Rosa rolls her eyes. Then she's running and putting her back to the facade on the other side of the street, aiming her crossbow with one hand, making arcane gestures with the other.

    Spoiler: OCC
    Show
    Only one enemy left, right?

    Casting True strike on the guy Borgrim is fighting.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Spoiler: AttackRoutine
    Show
    Raven: fly down to the limping archer and help - (1d20+4)[8] by pecking him on his skull and ears.
    Ben: hit - (1d20+6)[16], hitExtra - (1d20+6)[24], ForceDMG - (1d10)[1] against the archer with Eldritch Blast, range 180ft
    We already have one who surrendered.

    Assuming that the barbarian has things well in hand upstairs, Ben directs the Raven to harry the limping archer as he takes another potshot at him.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim roars and swings with reckless abandon at the last archer who's putting up a fight. The archer, however, ducks under Borgrim's blow with a smug grin. "You'll rue the day you ran into Casper Hastings! You're all bluster, and no backbone!" He lunges at Borgrim with a quick thrust {1 damage after Rage}.

    Rosa, watches the limping archer retreat down the alley toward The Noose, and then turns her attention upwards. She studies the fighter and makes an arcane gesture {True Strike}.

    Benedict, seeing his companions have things under control, sends his raven after the fleeing archer, and follows up with a streak of eldritch energy, which strikes the fellow between the shoulder blades {1 damage}. The archer stumbles and lets out a grunt, but continues to crawl away down the alley.

    One archer lies in the street unconscious, another dead. A third continues to cower in the second story of the east building.

    Spoiler: Round 3
    Show

    Spoiler: Initiative/Status
    Show

    Rosa 23
    Raven 19
    Borgrim 11 (2 damage)
    Benedict 8

    EA2 - 8 (Unconscious in street)
    EA1 - 5 (surrendered, cowering)

    WA2 - 9 (Dead in street)
    WA1 - 3 (Crawling away, 8 damage total)
    WA3 - 3 (Thrusts at Borgrim, unharmed)

    Remaining fighter:
    Attack1 - (1d20+3)[21] Attack2 - (1d20+3)[14]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[2] Crit - (1d6)[4]
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-20 at 01:09 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    .. take one alive .. The yell has a dreamlike quality to it, like it's coming from a long way away - or under water. And everything is nice, and red, and clear, and there's all this momentum, and you have to ride it. It's how you win fights, it's how you stay alive: You just ... go with the flow, forward, never stopping, never doubting.

    You know I never named this sword, little man? But now I shall. I name thee Hastings, and I bless thee in this blood!

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Attack: (1d20+6)[12] or (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[14]

    One of those is going to be a 19-20. So crit confirm: (1d20+6)[12] ... ehh, not quite, but hopefully enough.


    The sword sails around, it's arc huge, barely to be contained in the small room. It carved through drapes, it draws a long jagged cut along one softened plaster wall, it shatters an unfortunate vase - and it cuts deep into the man named Casper Hastings.

    Tell me some more, Casper - tell me about how I, Borgrim, will rue the day I met you ... some pathetic bandit who ambushes random passersby to steal their pocket change.

    Do tell!
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-05-20 at 02:49 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Annoyed that his target is still trying to get away, Ben redoubles his efforts to stop him. He doesn't have the same emotional involvement as Mr. Grim, but he is just as determined.
    Spoiler: AttackRoutine
    Show
    Raven: help - (1d20+4)[13]
    Ben: hit - (1d20+6)[22], hitExtra - (1d20+6)[23], ForceDMG - (1d10)[4] with Eldritch Blast, range 180ft
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa's eyes follow the man behind the window, ducking and weaving his blade. She wills her bolt to fly into his sword hand, in order to disarm him. Before she can push the trigger, Borgrim's own sword comes down in a wide arc unto the hapless man. Rosa sighs, lowering her weapon, letting the spell guiding her arm dissipate. From upstairs, she can hear the half-orc's angry voice.

    "No sense jawing it, Borgrim, you can't make that guy more dead than he already is." Were the guy alive, he'd throw himself out the window to escape the half-orc's conversation, quips the Joker.

    She walks towards the man left in the middle of the street. Noticing at last where Benedict is taking cover, she continues. "Faust? Have you no mercy? The guy's running away." Yet the Master's sentiment is different: Ruthlessness coupled with borrowed arcane. Very interesting.

    On the roof, Mao stirs from his hiding place and slowly walks to the edge.

    With the tip of her boot, Rosa hits the fallen man in the ribs. "Wake up, you idiot." She kicks his weapon away, straddles him, and tries slapping him twice. She sighs, closes her own eyes and takes Mao's, watching the scene from above for an instant.

    She notices the archer cowering in the right-hand building. She stands up from the unconscious one. "Oh, and you, yeah you, the one sh!tting your pants up there. You better come out, slowly, hands on your head, or I'll have the Grim Slayer throw you out the window to me."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    At least one guy will survive to talk, right? Note that Rosa is not trying to stabilize the dead guy. She wouldn't know how, and she doesn't care that much either.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-21 at 04:42 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    It takes a little while, but eventually Borgrim descends from the archers perch - batting aside any pesky doors that resist opening. Before that, a few wet and gristly sounds emerge from the open window. There may be the odd splash of blood against what remains of unbroken window panes.

    Borgrim exits with his sword soaked in blood. Literally, hilt, blade and cross guard equally red and dripping.

    Needs to dry, before I can wipe it off, is all the explanation he offers, you don't think the guard come here much, right?

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Faust finishes off the last of the archers with another expulsion of magical energy. The archer sprawls out in the gutter, then lies still.

    The unconscious man lying in the street gurgles after Rosa attempts to wake him, but he remains out cold {stable, unconscious}.

    The last remaining conscious archer calls down in reply: " ...Uh... Yes ma'am, I'll have to come down the stairs, not much for climbing, me." There is a pause of a few seconds, and then a rattle at the closed door of the east building. "C-comin' out! Got me hands on me head, pl-please don't hurt me anymore!" The door slowly opens with a damp creak, and out steps the vagabond, very slowly, hands on his head. He takes one shuffling step forward into the street, then waits, glancing around quickly, fear and pain painted on his face.

    The rain continues to fall, making it hard for a sword to dry. The street is empty apart from the three adventurers and three would-be ambushers (in varying states of life and death).

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    If you care to look, you find 4 gold pieces between the archers, as well as a pouch full of tobacco, a full quiver of arrows, and two serviceable short bows. The inside of the houses are poorly furnished with old, mildewy sofas and battered dressers.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-21 at 09:20 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    At first, Rosa looks at Borgrim with morbid fascination. YES YES BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD! WE LOVE GRIM! YES YES YES! She shakes her head, trying to make the ghost's voice go away. She now winces in disgust. "Man... that's gross... Yeah, err, no, the guards don't care much what happens here."

    She turns to the surviving and standing archer. "Gather your unconscious pal and get out of here. Tell them who it was: the Bloody Rose, the Grim Slayer and," she turns towards Benedict, hesitating for a heartbeat, "and, yeah, Spitfire. Tell everyone what you've just witnessed, and if anyone else thinks it smart to put kids to work, know that we're coming for them." Rosa spits on the floor, for emphasis.

    After the cowardly archer is gone, Rosa gathers one of the fallen men's blade, and uses it to etch three crude symbols on the wall next to the door-frame of one of the dwellings: A rose, a sword and a flame.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Trying to shore up street cred. Intimidate - (1d20+2)[11], Advantage - (1d20+2)[5], I suppose I should get advantage here, since good ol' fashioned floor wiping, Borgrim covered in blood, etc.

    Using Thieves Cant to leave a mark on the place, so that other's will know we fought here.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "No. Mercy is for those who deserve it." answers Ben, as he takes down the archer. "Beside, he was getting away. What if he came back with reinforcements?"

    He is unfazed as Borgrim comes out of the house covered in blood. He thinks for a moment before answering: "No, but you'd better clean yourself up before moving to better policed areas if you want to avoid trouble. Actually, come here." With a snap he sends a sliver of magic to clean him up.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim looks apologetic: Does blood turn your stomach? But we were just in a battle. Anyways, it's just for the naming. He watches as the rain washes his blade clean. Every blade should have a name. This blade is now called Hastings. Not a name for the ages, but I suspect I shall find better swords than this one - swords worthy of greater names.

    Borgrim unashamedly loots the fallen, taking what little they had.

    Pocket change, but enough to put a roof over our heads tonight, and a meal in our bellies. Come, let us be off.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "Beside, he was getting away. What if he came back with reinforcements?"
    "Well, I didn't think he looked like he wanted more of what we gave him, but it is possible I was mistaken. Point taken. And he did take that last crap shot at me." Rosa shrugs. "Sucks to be him."

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Does blood turn your stomach? But we were just in a battle. Anyways, it's just for the naming. He watches as the rain washes his blade clean. Every blade should have a name. This blade is now called Hastings. Not a name for the ages, but I suspect I shall find better swords than this one - swords worthy of greater names.
    Rosa looks at Borgrim with wide eyes, then raises a questioning eyebrow. "Riiiiiiight, the naming... Obviously. Of course. Why didn't I think of the Naming." Rosa turns to Benedict, silently mouthing, What is that guy?, raising her open palms level with her head.

    Borgrim unashamedly loots the fallen, taking what little they had.

    Pocket change, but enough to put a roof over our heads tonight, and a meal in our bellies. Come, let us be off.
    "Looks like a plan." Rosa pulls her hood back up, not that it is going to help much, now that her hair is drenched.

    "Now that we've taken each other's measure, I believe it's not useful we bumble into the same category of predicament. I'll open the way. I'll move from intersection to intersection, and wave you forward after checking that the way's clear. At least let's do that until we're away from the Noose. Sounds good?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So here's what's happening. Rosa advances stealthily through the streets, staying one or two intersections ahead of Ben and Grim, but trying to keep line of sight. Mao progresses a little ahead of Rosa, staying above.

    Stealth - (1d20+8)[23]
    Perception - (1d20+5)[11]

    Target: Nicodemus', on Garden.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Borgrim looks apologetic: Does blood turn your stomach? But we were just in a battle. Anyways, it's just for the naming. He watches as the rain washes his blade clean. Every blade should have a name. This blade is now called Hastings. Not a name for the ages, but I suspect I shall find better swords than this one - swords worthy of greater names.
    Ben simply shrugs. He-s not one for blades, really.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Borgrim unashamedly loots the fallen, taking what little they had.

    Pocket change, but enough to put a roof over our heads tonight, and a meal in our bellies. Come, let us be off.
    "Take the bows, too, since you are at it. They are probably worth more than a few coins." he suggests.


    To Rose: "Sounds good. Lead the way. We shouldn't be far anyhow."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-21 at 05:01 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    She turns to the surviving and standing archer. "Gather your unconscious pal and get out of here. Tell them who it was: the Bloody Rose, the Grim Slayer and," she turns towards Benedict, hesitating for a heartbeat, "and, yeah, Spitfire. Tell everyone what you've just witnessed, and if anyone else thinks it smart to put kids to work, know that we're coming for them." Rosa spits on the floor, for emphasis.
    "Y-yes ma'am, will do, ma'am, won't hear a peep outa me, no ma'am, turnin' to an honest trade, this day forward, yes ma'am..." The archer continues to babble, punctuated by small bows of his head. He quickly collects his compatriot, who finally begins to stir groggily. The two make their way as speedily as they can toward Market Square, with not so much as a glance backwards.

    Now with a plan, Rosa, Borgrim, and Benedict make careful progress down Singing Avenue toward the Singing Bridge. Rosa takes point, melding with the greys and browns of the rain covered streets. You meet only a lone old beggar as you cross the Singing Bridge, so named for the carved wooden gargoyles which line its walls. They make no sound now as the air is still. The beggar asks you to spare a copper piece, politely, then continues on his way.

    Once across the bridge, you leave the influence of The Noose and breath a little easier. Rosa's careful scouting allows for the avoidance of a watch patrol as the three slip into an alley to wait for them to pass. The three guards pass and you carry on your way. Another few minutes and Singing Avenue changes to Garden Street. The buildings and houses take on a noticeably less shabby look as you progress. As you approach the intersection of Garden Street and Mill Avenue, you see a golden painted '2' on a modest but tasteful three-story townhouse on the south-eastern corner. Two watchmen stand posted on the street in front of the door: a small, slightly orcish-looking man leaning heavily on a spear, and a half-ogre of indeterminate gender. They stand sullenly in the light rain.

    Looking more closely, the two 1st-level street-side windows of the house are smashed; glass is scattered about on the cobblestones. The door, though still intact, sits crookedly in its frame.

    Spoiler: If You Approach
    Show

    "Watch business, mo-ove along, cit-i-zens. Not your concern," the diminutive man-orc calls out in perhaps the most bored voice you've ever heard. The half-ogre waves you along, not even bothering to look in your direction.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-21 at 10:06 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Well ... I have a plan. Fact, I got two.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "how comes I am not surprised?" mutters Ben under his breath as he sees the signs of breaking and entering.

    "You got two?" asks Ben, rasing an eyebrow. "Well, let's hear it then. As for me, I'd wager they would let a colleague in, if asked."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-22 at 07:28 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Alright. Plan one: I walk over, knock on the neighboring door, and make my way somehow from one house to the next. How hard can it be. Plan two: One of you guys walk over, offer a bribe, and make the gentlemen of the watch consider carefully, whether they want the bribe - or whether they consider the next change of the watch to be as stout and unflinching defenders of the law as they themselves.

    I'm fairly sure no watchman wants to see another watchman get his due bribe.

    I'd like to discreetly emphasize how none of these plans involve the wholesale slaughter of innocents. I'm quite proud of that, frankly, because that would be simpler all-round.


    Borgrim smiles in a way that doesn't actually reveal whether he's being ironic or not.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa silently gives a handful of coppers to the beggar. "Drink one to my health, brother."

    She passes the beggar, then stops in her tracks. "Say, brother, ever heard of one Zanbar Bone through the grapevine? What's the word on that fellow?" Silver shines in her hand.



    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "Well, let's hear it then. As for me, I'd wager the world let a colleague in, if asked."
    Rosa gives Benedict a knowing look.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Borgrim smiles in a way that doesn't actually reveal whether he's being ironic or not.
    "Mmmm... I must admit the absence of innocent-killing is a welcome element in any plan. Yet, before we try to find a way in, I'd rather have a look around the block..."
    Rosa's voice trails, and she becomes pensive. And then what, little girl? Isn't there a question more obvious to ponder?

    She abruptly turns to her new colleagues: "What of Niccodemus? Doesn't look like a random burglary. Did they capture the mage? Or did they murder him? There's no sense taking too much risks with the guards if Niccodemus is safe and sound having a beer and lamb roast in a tavern on the street's corner, leaving the guards to their job."

    Rosa ponders a little more. "And mages have a reputation for trapping their demesnes. We should beware of leftover traps."

    Rosa looks Borgrim in the eye. "I will elaborate on your bribe plan: One, my cat goes in and has a look around. That bird I saw helping Borgrim is yours, Faust, right? You can direct to observe the house from above and tell me what you see."

    Rosa turns to Borgrim, as if she'd forgotten to tell him something. "And Borgrim, yes, we can see through the eyes of our pets, but we must enter a meditative trance in order to do so. We will count on you to watch us during that time. How ever tempting that could look, try not to murder us, even though I doubt Faust is any kind of innocent." Rosa clears her throat. "Back to the plan."

    "Two: If the pets find a way in, we just go in without the guards knowing better. Even in the eventuality they'd accept a bribe, I'd rather nobody knows about us being after Niccodemus too. Even bribed guards talk. Especially bribed guards, actually."

    "Three: If there's no other way in, I'll try bribing the guards and get information about Niccodemus' whereabouts from them. Anyway, even if we get in, I will talk to them to learn about Niccodemus."

    Rosa takes a pause and nods to each of her colleagues in turn. "Agreed?"

    Probability is that Niccodemus has left us. As you well know, wizards often leave books behind them. Spell-books.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    5 coppers to the beggar first. A silver if he has anything valuable to say. If needed, Persuasion - (1d20+5)[11].

    In case the other PC agree with the plan: Find a public bench, or failing that, an alley. Sit. Take control of Mao.

    The cat goes in through a broken window. It's not like anybody cares about a wandering cat, right? If the guards notice the cat, he'll come meowing at them, begging for food and rubbing against their legs. Then the cat will try again to enter unseen 5 minutes later. Stealth - (1d20)[18] + cat modifier

    Once inside, I don't know if it's the cat's Perception's mod or Rosa's that should be rolled? Perception - (1d20)[4], with +5 for Rosa. The cat tries to go around the place. He'll try to remember any scent left on the broken windows.

    The cat is looking in order of priority for: 1. another entry (back-door, window on an alley, cellar, sewers, etc.) 2. traces of fight 3. whatever looks like a spell-book.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-05-22 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Formatting
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Ben agrees that those seems like very sensible plans. There might be some adjustments to be made, however.

    "Yes, what of Niccodemus? That's what I want to know, too. We can have a look inside through proxy, as you suggested. And yes, the Raven has been following my wishes so far. Somehow." Ben does not share the fact that said Raven simply appeared one morning, peached on the head of his cot, nor that it provides him with clarity of vision beyond the usual familiars. He also lets go of the 'innocent' quip. "As I said, I think the two watchmen will respond better to a colleague asking for information about what happened, or even offering a bribery, than a random stranger. The cat thing, however, is certainly a good idea. I will try and keep you informed, possibly through the raven, of any pressing concern or worthwhile propositions. Now, if you'll excuse me for second, I'd like to try and make it happen."

    With that said, Ban leaves the group to find a nice, secluded place to change.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm not sure if it is intentional or not, but the class description does not mention the whole being blinded and all that. I attributed that to a superior class feature, since I could also get a regular familiar. Let me know if that's not the case.

    Also, 'turning' into César to go and chat up the guards. Let me know what rolls do you need.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-05-22 at 05:54 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The beggar tilts his head to one side. "That be Mr. and Mrs. Boney down on Catfish Road? Nice family that, always generous with a loaf or a bit of fish, or a coin when they can spare it. Don't know no Zanbar, though. Thank you kindly for the coin, sorry I can't be of more help."
    The beggar tips his cap and carries on his way.

    With something resembling a plan, Rosa, Borgrim, and Benedict step into the alley that runs behind the houses on the east side of Garden Street. Benedict finds a relatively sheltered spot out of view from the others in an alcove and sets to work transforming his appearance into that of César, Lieutenant of the Night's Watch.

    Meanwhile, Rosa sits herself down on a small bench. She closes her eyes and shares Mao's vision. The cat sets off, slinking down the alley toward the back of Number 2, Garden Street. He hops up onto a shoulder-high fence and hurries along in the rain. Mao pauses when he nears Nicodemus' house. The backdoor is firmly shut, and unguarded. Looking up, Rosa-Mao spots the lone second-story window facing the alley hanging open. With a careful jump up from the fence to the overhang, and then another jump from the overhang to the window sill, Mao makes it inside. He sniffs at a bit of blood on the sill: ... human? Inside is a cramped study, filled wall to wall with books, with a landing leading up and down, through the open door opposite the window. Papers and books and notes litter a writing desk and are stacked on the floor, among the remains of spent candles and numerous nick-nacks. The scent of tobacco smoke is strong, but quite old. Due to the messiness of the room, it's difficult to tell whether anyone has been rummaging through.

    On the landing, a few more spots of blood can be discerned. A few drops seem to lead toward the study, and another set down the stairs toward the front of the first floor. Sniff... human... and something else. Bird?

    Meanwhile, Benedict has now become César. He sends his raven upward to peer through the third story window, while he walks around to the street-side of the house and the two watchmen there. The window pane is dirty and crazed, but a laboratory of sorts can be seen through the glass.

    The small man-orc notices César, and greets him. "Af-ter-noon, Lieutenant. You've business 'ere?" The half-ogre behind him gives a rough salut, then turns back to watch the street.

    Borgrim waits beside Rosa.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-05-22 at 12:14 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •