The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 351
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "With such good manners, you'll always be welcome, Jhekar," replies Rosa, with a wink. As the man turns his back to her, her gaze descends to his behind. Her mouth makes a disappointed wince, her eyes dropping yet lower towards her drink.

    Hearing invectives and drunken threats, before even raising her head, she sighs and rolls her eyes. It now clearly appears Borgrim is much more cause for eye rolling than anything else. Yet, the Grim Leaper is an endless source of entertainment and bad puns, points out the Joker. Yes we love Grim we want blood! the Slayer's voice makes Rosa shake her head.

    She finally surveys the scene, she hesitates to cast a spell to put the obnoxious drunk to sleep. Then she hesitates to but both him and Borgrim to sleep.

    Witnessing Borgrim's leave, she raises her tankard to the drunk with the sword. "I'm tempted to intervene and stop you getting chopped to bits, but really, I'm already tipsy and you're such an 4$$hole you probably deserve whatever will happen outside. Just so you know, he's also known as the Grim Slayer. To your short and boring life, chap." She downs what remains in her tankard.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Trying to help Borgrim's Intimidation attempt: Aid Intimidate - (1d20+2)[19].
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    César understands that perhaps his city watch uniform might get in the way of having a fight happen. Normally that's a good thing, but since his newish friend is actively trying to have one, he refrains from staring or making any sort of move. He'll go and watch, to be sure, perhaps rising from his seat with an audible sigh after finishing his drink and slowly walking to the exit once the burly man has left the building.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The young man blinks blearily as he watches Borgrim exit the bar. Something resembling reason seeps into his core as he turns to listen to Rosa. He doesn't look at her directly, but the impact of her words on top of those of Borgrim's visibly deflates the young man. His shoulders slump. He holds onto the sword Hastings awkwardly at arm's length. A fair number of patrons watch in anticipation of the young man's decision. The colour in his cheeks rises as he becomes aware of so many eyes focuses in his direction. The young man's companion reaches out a hand but before the hobgoblin can make contact, the young drunken man sets his shoulders, nods to himself, and marches, albeit a little unsteadily, out through the door. The hobgoblin looks at Rosa, worry painted plainly on his face.

    "He's not actually going to kill him, is he? Right? I know he's got some comin', but he don't need to die..." The hobgoblin takes a step toward the door, then thinks better of it.

    The young man steps out into the rain, holding the sword before him, the point directed straight down. He looks left and right quickly. When he spots Borgrim, he walks meekly toward the half-orc. He offers the sword, gaze directed at his feet, and speaks: "I'm s-sorry, sir. Please, here's yer sword back. I w-were wrong to say the things I did. Please d-don't kill me, me ma would never let me hear the end of it."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    You are a remarkably clever, perceptive young man - especially considering the amount you've had to drink tonight. But worry not, I don't kill without good reason, and I've no reason to do you any harm. Tell me, is it that you like Niamh? You're not racist, your friend was a hobgoblin, so that's not it. And you also weren't at the gaming table, so that's not it either.

    Borgrim takes his sword back, and pats the young human on the shoulder - with that weird cameraderie that comes from people who've fought one another.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Cesar walks out just in time to see the scene unfold from the doorway. Once again, no bloodbath. He retreats inside before his presence is even registered and moves near Rosa. "The situation outside has resolved peacefully." he informs her "We got a couple of leads. How did it go for you?"
    He listens, trying to commit details to memory. "Do you think there's more to uncover tonight? If not, we should reconvene on the morrow to pursue the leads we have."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa turns her back to the hobgoblin's concern. Yet, a short pang of pity makes her reconsider. Without turning back, "your friend looked contrite enough, should be alright". Rosa mulls over her tankard. What had Borgrim said? That this Hastings was his first kill ever? Strange.

    She's taken out of her reverie by Cesar.

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "The situation outside has resolved peacefully." he informs her "We got a couple of leads. How did it go for you?"
    Rosa nods with relief. "Rumors of a giant bird, or were-bird. Maybe a crow, who knows? But much bigger than the one in my vision of Nicodemus' house. Ogre sized, maybe. The thing has been murdering rich folks for nearly a year over the city. I couldn't learn anything more about the victims, but maybe guards would know more?" One questioning eyebrow raises at Cesar. "You sure seem to have a good relationship with your colleagues, officer." Rosa's smile is too pronounced not to be sardonic.

    "Do you think there's more to uncover tonight? If not, we should reconvene on the morrow to pursue the leads we have."
    Rosa shrugs. "Who knows. I have half a mind to have an after-dinner stroll through the Noose. I'm wondering who the more mundane burglar at Nicodemus' was. He might know something more. Maybe shaking a few select people around might bring some answers. What do you think?"
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-07-01 at 08:44 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "More monsters prowling the streets at night. Great. Unless, of course, it's an associate of our current perpetrator, but the timeline hardly fits." says Cesar "I'll see with the boys if we have anything on that, as well as a good lead for the other burglar. No need to start shaking people at random just yet."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim barges back into the room with a loud laugh - for no readily apparent reason. He's just in time to catch the remark about monster, and respond:

    Great! Let's hunt them. Tomorrow. Or .. maybe find that temple first? Actually, I'm not sure where to begin. If you guys pick the direction, I'll cut down anyone that gets in our way! He pats Rosa and César on their respective shoulders, and stalks off, looking for Naihm.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "I think it would be more advantageous to us if we were to start with..." says Cesar, but the big half-orc is already gone. "Well, nevermind then. Let's meet at the temple tomorrow. Not too early though. I want to swing by and speak with a few of my contacts".
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The young drunk lets out a breath of relief. He gives Borgrim a hesitant half-smile and mumbles another apology. Then his face grows even redder at the mention of Niamh and he mutters something incoherent, turning and hurrying off into the night rain, leaving Borgrim standing outside the tavern.

    ******

    Once the night has wound down Esme takes another 5 silver and sets the three companions up in rooms for the night, but only after making sure Borgrim's affairs were settled. Assured that she didn't owe the half-orc anything, Esme leads the way to the small, but cozily furnished rooms. She leaves with a "Well, ya didn't break anything tonight so ya can't be all bad. Goodnight!"

    The night passes restfully and uneventfully. Borgrim, César and Rosa are up early. After a quick bite to eat, they set off back across the Singing Bridge toward the Temple District. Along the way César stops in at The Hog and Frog Inn, one of the larger and more elaborate establishments in the city, and his friend Sergeant Longtooth's favourite watering hole after her shift. César finds her in one of the smaller foyers, nursing a glass of cider and chatting with the barkeep. She looks up and waves César over.

    "Well, fancy seeing you here. Didn't think it was your kinda place. So I guess that means you're here to see me, eh?"
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-07-11 at 12:16 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    When Cézar disappears into some fancy, boring tavern for fancy, boring people, Borgrim decides to just wait stoically outside - then almost instantly gets bored, and starts casting about for things to distract himself. First he locates a flower person, and buys ... just a great big armload of flowers for Niahm, to be delivered to the Mermaid.

    Then, he spots some street musicians, and sings along with them uproariously, and wildly off key.

    Finally, he wanders off down a random side street, looking for something to fight, or steal. Or eat.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    As Faust enters the fancy tavern, Rosa lingers outside, watching the crowds.

    She follows Borgrim's restless peregrinations with sighs and eye-rolls. As the half-orc advances towards an alley, she slowly shakes her head. She catches up with him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Don't know what's on your mind, Borgrim, but I'm beginning to notice a certain pattern of boredom suspiciously followed by random destructive events." If there's a point to what Rosa's trying to tell Borgrim, she leaves it unspoken.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    César smile a genuine smile in seeing the orc. "Ah, DeAnna. Your instincts are as sharp as your fangs. You'd make detective in no time, if only you could learn to keep your honest opinions to yourself" he answers, not unkindly. Longtooth's stagnant career had been the topic of many a tavern talk between them. He asks for coffee before continuing. "Indeed, I came precisely to see you. You know, and I'm sure that you do, that there's been a number of incidents in the city. You must have heard about the vicious attacks by some sort of werecrow beast. Apparently, and possibly related, there seems to be a whole crow cult thing going on. I have it on good authority that a guy polymorphic as a half-crow, but possibly a different crow-creature than what I mentioned earlier if that's even possible, fought with a regular thief while burgling the same house near the garden street. And finally, there seems to have been a commotion at the temple a little while ago." He pauses for breath more than for effect. "Now, I know what you are thinking: how are all those things even related? Well, the answer is... I have no answer yet. But i am looking into an even weirder thing, apparently involving a necromancer named Zanbar Bone, and I am trying to see if any of the other weird occurrences in town are somehow related. And to give you a heads up that things might get a turn for the worse before long."
    Having said his peace, César leans back on his seat. "So, what's your take on all this?" he asks, before finally getting to drink his coffee.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    As Faust enters the fancy tavern, Rosa lingers outside, watching the crowds.

    She follows Borgrim's restless peregrinations with sighs and eye-rolls. As the half-orc advances towards an alley, she slowly shakes her head. She catches up with him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Don't know what's on your mind, Borgrim, but I'm beginning to notice a certain pattern of boredom suspiciously followed by random destructive events." If there's a point to what Rosa's trying to tell Borgrim, she leaves it unspoken.
    Destructive?! Whatever do you mean? I mean, I admit my actions occasionally have personal injury or property damage as a regretable side effect, but I try my best to avoid or minimize such things. But .. I will defer to you, Lady Rosa: What should we do while we wait for Cézar to return?
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-07-17 at 12:23 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa's eyes widen and she raises her hands palms up as a distinction is made between destructive and "personal injury or property damage".

    And then, the question is turned back to her. Rosa takes one step back, as if Borgrim's words could hurt. "I... huh... Well... Let's see... Let's say I'm trying to be the voice of reason here and..." She looks behind her, over one shoulder, then the other, towards The Hog and Frog. She clears her throat. "Yes, well, I see you my concerns are probably overblown. After all, you're only taking a stroll through an alley, what's the harm in that? Please proceed, and I will follow you to be the voice of reason. Yes, the voice of reason." Rosa gives Borgrim a somewhat uptight smile.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    While it's easy for Borgrims mind to wander, it's also easy to catch his attention. He is, in other words, prone to both inattention and distraction. As he wanders down the side street - fully meaning to just go around the block, never straying too far from the Spork and Grog, or whatever it was - he keeps his eyes peeled for anything valuable, amusing, offensive or tasty.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Borgrim doesn't have any particular skills at spotting interesting things, so I'll just roll (1d20)[6] - to determine whether he stumbles on anything. This could be a Spot check, his modifier for such things is +0. But it could be anything, really.

    Low. Unsure whether that's good or bad. Does Wogwoggle want to interpret that .. or should I? =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-07-18 at 04:44 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    DeAnna smiles at the compliment, and then barks out a laugh at the mention of keeping opinions to herself. She listens attentively with furrowed brow to the rest that César has to say, sipping at the strong, concentrated coffee brought out by an unusually tall gnomish woman. DeAnna sits in silence for several moments after César finishes, drumming her fingers on the wooden counter.

    "That's a lot to take in at once, César. Sure you aren't about to bite off more than you can chew? But in seriousness, let's see... I've heard hearsay about a handful of attacks the last few months, all grisly. No first-hand accounts from any watchmen, though. Seems all the ones I've heard have involved one of the gangs, or some folk under their protection. So they get tidied up before we see them, right. Or some of our boys get paid to look the other way." DeAnna spreads her hands, as if to say 'you know how it is'.

    She continues: "Details are vague. They all involve some poor sod gettin' ripped up by some big, shadowy beast. All at night, so of course no one's got a good look at whatever it is. Could be a giant crow-thing, who knows? As for crow-people, or people turning into crows, I've not heard anything about that. And the temple, ya, there were a group of pilgrims, or similar, who were accused of attempting to desecrate the Temple of At'ar a day or two ago. You'd have to check in with one of the clergy or temple guards to get the full details. Don't recall if they were some sort of cult or not."

    DeAnna finishes her coffee. "I haven't heard anything about Zanbar Bone since I was a kid. Isn't there a song about him?" The half-orc pauses, then shakes her head. She rises from her seat. "Here's what I'll do: I'll put some careful questions to Captain Hopper and see if I can't come up with some connections between these incidents and get back to you. Don't worry, I'll take extra care not to stir up any hornets. " DeAnna smiles broadly, adding "I can be discreet when I need to! Alright, I'm off to bed, farewell César. " DeAnna gives a small, half-joking salut and heads out the door, leaving César to finish his coffee.

    ******

    Outside, the day is shaping up to be much more pleasant. The constant rain has finally lifted, and the rising sun peeks out occasionally from behind fast moving clouds.

    Borgrim quickly finds a young girl selling an assortment of flowers. He pays the girl 2 silver for the whole lot, and flags down a passing youth to deliver the massive bouquet to Niamh at The Mermaid. He then spends the next few minutes singing loudly along to a dwarven street lutist playing 'Sir James the Rose', mumbling through the verses a little, but belting out the chorus for the entire street to hear. The young lutist is taken aback at first, but soon gets into the performance and gives Borgrim a friendly nod when he finishes.

    Despite his best efforts (maybe Rosa's mere presence is enough to throw off Borgrim's trouble finding senses?) Borgrim only manages to draw the attentions of an aggressive gnomish knick-knack vendor, who follows after the half-orc with dogged persistence around the block. The street-seller pulls out a myriad of gaudy, cheap-looking baubles and trinkets in quick succession, calling out their virtues in between huffs and puffs of breath as he jogs to keep up with Borgrim and Rosa.

    "How about this Beruvian emerald pendant? It has mood enhancing properties, sure to calm and put at ease those prone to over-worrying! Or maybe this Gendal burnished lamp? Read all your important documents at any hour by the light of this stylish, modern accessory from the famed city of master-craftsmen! Ah, I can see the gentleman does not care overmuch for reading. In that case, perhaps a vial of exotic scents, for the lady? Be the most distinguished and alluring belle at the ball! I've also got this... "

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Sorry about the wait. Let me know If you'd like to get to the temple directly.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-07-21 at 07:01 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim haggles fiercely with the knick-knack vendor for awhile, bringing the price of a small brooch down to a pittance. He buys it, and presents it to Rosa with a flourish, mentioning that it will offset her eyes nicely. Than he wanders back to the inn:

    Let us collect our guardsman, and proceed to this bird temple.

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rosa has some taste, but she's not overly snobby. Let's say that below 30, she actually finds the brooch to be pretty enough to be worn: Chance - (1d100)[17]


    Rosa takes the brooch, not knowing what to say at first. It's clearly a cheap bauble, but the craftsmanship is not as horribly shoddy as one could expect from the vendor's bearings. The design is probably abstract, or maybe it's meant to be a flower, or maybe a wing, or maybe a winged flower? Well, it's still easy enough to look at and it's not like men are rushing Rosa with gifts. "I can't remember the last time someone offered me anything. If you except Nicodemus parting with his gear, but it was more like condoning of theft than actual gift giving."

    She looks at Borgrim with a smile. "Thank you." She feels she must be blushing and immediately looks away from the half-orc. "Yeah, let's go get Faust and move on. And don't think you're off the hook thanks to that brooch, I'm watching you Borgrim, voice of reason, remember, voice of reason."

    As she walks, she pins the brooch on her cloak.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-07-22 at 11:05 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Oh, it's just a trinket - I'm not expecting it to buy me much leniency from one as stern as yourself, Rosa. Rather, perhaps one day when you finally decide you simply cannot take it anymore and you decide to kill me - maybe just then you'll think of this, and it will buy me the sliver of a second I need to run for the hills! Borgrim will give a very toothy grin, and turn towards the inn.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    César listens to what DeAnna has to say. Unfortunately, it's not that much more than what he had, but at least there is some confirmation, however indirect, of what they learned. "I am not one for martyrdom. If I did bite more than I can chew, I will step back, hopefully in time, and reassess the situation. But looking into this is a risk that I am willing to take, for the moment." He smiles at the mention of the children's rhyme. Apparently, they are dealing with a local celebrity. He thanks the half-orc in advance for whatever she will manage to uncover among the ranks, and proposes to meet again in a few days, same place same time.

    Once the woman leaves, César is left with his own thoughts while he finishes his coffee. The most obvious next step is to visit the temple and ask one of the clergy or temple guards about the incident. With his objective clear in mind, he leaves the tavern to rejoin his companions. 'Hopefully they managed to stay out of trouble', he thinks.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    To the temple, I say!
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-07-23 at 11:52 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The gnomish street vendor thanks Borgrim profusely for his purchase and then meanders down the street, looking for other passersby to harangue. Rosa and Borgrim head back to the entrance of the Hog and Frog, and find César exiting the establishment. Reunited, the three set off to the south down Temple Road to the Temple of At'ar.

    As the three draw nearer, they spy the temple's single tower rising from the blocky, grey marble structure. The burnished brass half-sun adorning the spire reflects the morning sun, making it too dazzling to look at directly for more than a moment. With the fine weather, a number of city folk are gathered on the outer steps, making small offerings of incense, food, coins, and flowers to a multitude of small shrines dedicated to a variety of minor saints and patrons, both local and foreign.

    Rosa, Borgrim, and César make their way up the steps to the temple entrance. Inside, the main hall makes for a stark contrast to the bright morning sunlight outside. A line of marble columns line each side of the hall, back-lit by mirrored lamps which cast stark shadows across the centre. High above the entrance, a single outer window allows a beam of sunlight to shine down upon the far end of the hall, where a statue of a woman with shrouded face, holding a half-sun in it's outstretched hands, stands on a raised dais. The yellow metal of the half-sun shines brightly in the otherwise dimly lit hall.

    A number of worshippers make offerings to the somewhat more substantial shrines which line the hall, situated between the plainly decorated columns. A young novice, in the process of sweeping up a corner of the hall, looks up from his work and seems to take careful stock of Rosa, Borgrim, and César. Once he finishes looking the three up and down, he walks over and inquires if there is anything they have need of. At the mention of the altercation a few days ago, he hurries off to find his superior. He returns mere seconds later with a middle-aged man of small stature and receding hairline, dressed in simple dark grey robes belted at the waist. The only visible ornamentation he wears is a small, golden, semi-circle brooch pinned high on the centre of his chest. The novice returns to his sweeping, and the man introduces himself:

    "A good morning to you all! I am Yuro Furtha, Priest of At'ar, and I welcome you to Her temple. You wish to inquire about the trouble we had last week, yes? We've already discussed the matter with the watch... " Priest Furtha pauses, glancing over César's apparel. "Ah, but you yourself are an officer! Of course, if there are any details you need clarified, then please, I am at your disposal!"
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-08-01 at 04:24 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim leaves the talking to the 'watch officer' while he busies himself looking for rubies clues.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Looking for clues rubies:
    Perception: (1d20)[13]

    Also stealth: (1d20+4)[15] - just to roll something Borgrim has an actual bonus in.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa hisses under her breath after being dazzled by the church spire's holy symbol. She pulls he cowl closer over her eyes. Yet another god of the Sun. Humans are so unimaginative, whispers the master in her ear, with this inane belief that sunlight can keep the dark and it spawns, such as you, away.

    As Borgrim tries to slip away, Rosa gestures to him: Two fingers towards her own eyes, then one finger pointing to him. She then silently mouths Voice of Reason. While she stays near Benedict, trying to follow the conversation with the priest, she keeps an eye on Borgrim.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll edit my post depending on those rolls.

    Perception - (1d20+5)[23] to keep an eye on Borgrim, who is obviously up to no good. Voice of Reason, etc. EDIT: Hah, Borgrim's bonus ain't enough to escape the Eye of the Voice of Reason... maybe the Eye of Reason?
    What does Rosa know about A'tar? Religion - (1d20+3)[6]
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-08-02 at 06:41 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "I'm sure you were most helpful with my colleagues." says César in praise. "However, I would like to hear your recount with my own ears. You see, sometimes reports cannot properly convey the details that one provides verbally, on the scene. It's just more immediate this way." He adds for clarification: "I am actually following a parallel investigation, and I am here to ascertain whether or not this incident is somehow linked. Of course, I will pass along any findings to the rest of the team."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2019-08-04 at 12:43 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The priest, Furtha, nods sagely. "Of course, of course! Now let's see... ah, yes, I recall how it began. Six days ago, in the evening just around sunset a group of half a dozen or so darkly cloaked folk entered the Grand Hall here. One of the novices -- can't remember which... Petra, maybe? -- noticed them first and didn't think much of it, though they did come and find me to let me know. I didn't think there was anything out of the ordinary at the time, as we get groups of various sizes come in to make offerings to the Lady as a surrogate for their foreign deity, or pilgrims and the like. I took note of them and didn't pay them much attention. A few minutes later, though, and they began to chant something softly near the Lady, and I also heard what sounded like the scuffling of hooves on the tile."

    Furtha pauses a moment to shake his head. "Well, something was definitely off, so I walked over quietly to get a better look, and that was when I noticed they'd brought in a goat -- I don't know how we'd not noticed it before -- and were about to kill the animal. One of them had a large knife, I'm sure I remember seeing it... So then I yelled at the top of my lungs, a few of the convoyers and novices came running, and the cloaked folk made a dash for the entrance. I must say we got a few good cudgel hits in, but they didn't stop to fight, and moment or two later they were off into the streets. We of course notified the guard right after. As you know, sacrifice on sacred ground is anathema to At'ar. I can't think of what calamity could have been wrought if they'd finished."

    As the priest talks to César animatedly, Borgrim sidles nonchalantly along the North side of the hall, walking from shrine to shrine on the hunt for rubies 'clues.' A number of the shrines include statues, some decorated with a few gemstones here and there, but it is the statue of Saint Russet (patron of cider and rosy cheeks) which draws Borgrim's attention. The statue is not particularly remarkable, except for two small red stones set in its eyes, seven or so feet off the ground. Regretably, the statue is not located directly behind the columns which line the sides of the hall, so is somewhat exposed to the rest of the hall. Rosa's gaze follows Borgrim with hawk-like focus, and she makes note of where her companion stops to examine one of the shrines more closely.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Rosa's Religion check: At'ar is the goddess of the Sun and Shadows. She promotes order and everything being in its rightful place, as well as everything having a rightful place, as there can be no Light without Darkness, etc.

    The layout of the main hall of the temple, just to clarify: North is up. A is At'ar statue. o's are columns, s's are shrines. E is entrance.
    This is not to scale.
    --------------------
    | s s s s s s s s s |
    | o o o o o o |
    | |
    |A E
    | |
    | o o o o o o |
    | s s s s s s s s s |
    --------------------
    Let me know if this formatting doesn't work.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim returns to Rosa: Do you see how perfect this is? A goddess of both light and shadow - and of things being in their right place?

    All we need is faith that the right place for these rubies are in my pocket, light to grab attention, and shadow to hide the theft. It's literally a pilgrimage!


    He will hold off doing anything stupid though - for now - because sometimes planting the thought that he might is reward enough on it's own.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The priest had Rosa's attention until Borgrim comes to whisper to her. Much imagination in this one, quips the Joker.

    Rosa turns to Borgrim with a sigh, pinching the bridge of her nose, in a clear sign she's not finding the half-orc's imagination to her taste. "Not now," she whispers back.

    She turns back to the priest. "Thank you Father," replies Rosa, with the hope she's pinned the correct title. "Were any of those cultists wearing any sign resembling this one? Or maybe you otherwise know about it? Any information could help our inquiry." Rosa fishes the crow feather amulet from one of the inside pockets of her cloak.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Insight - (1d20+1)[9], trying to gauge the priest's reaction to the pendant.

    Whenever you need a fixed-width font, you can enclose your text inside code markups:

    Code:
     --------------------
    | s s s s s s s s s |
    | o o o o o o |
    | |
    |A E
    | |
    | o o o o o o |
    | s s s s s s s s s |
    --------------------
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    César let's Rosa go with the first set of questions, listening attentively to the answer.
    Then he asks: "Was there anything distinctive that you remember about the cultists that could help us identify them outside of their religious garbs? Do you think you could recognize them with a reasonable degree of certainty if you were to see them again?"
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    ... I'll go look for this Petra, remarks Borgrim, and walks off to do just that. When he's a couple of steps away, he turns back to the priest, and asks: Are you sure they were going to kill the goat? I mean, did you see a .. sacrificial dagger or some such? If they had nefarious intent, why did they simply run and not even fight back?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •