The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 378
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa's mouth silently moves as she tries visibly hesitates between possible retorts. Her lips finally press in a thin nonplussed line. She turns on her heels, looking for the nearest temple acolyte. She grabs the acolyte by the arm, shaking him a bit, pointing at Borgrim's bloody hand, in feigned panic, hoping the acolyte won't think too much about it. "We need Father Furtha, it's an emergency, the bleeding won't stop, where's the Father? We need him! Take us to him now! Fast!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolling with it... Deception - (1d20+2)[4]. Borgrim could probably assist by crying or mewling in some way

    EDIT: Hahahaahahahaha...
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-09-12 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Hahaha
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim refuses to fuss over minor details like opens wounds and bleeding - in combat, and even more so for deception. Instead, he holds up his bloody hand, scarlet running down his forearm to drip on the floor, and assures the acolyte: Oh, don't worry, it's not bad .. I'm sure bandages will suffice.

    *drip, drip*

    I'm sure there's nothing sensitive in there - ligaments or tendons or any of those things. It's just a hand, how bad could it be? But .. well, maybe, just in case, we should ask the Father. He's the pre-eminent healer around here, right?

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    It's a subtle art: Possibly, the acolyte has a bit of healing him- or herself. But we don't want that, so we'd better create as much confusion as possible.

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The young acolyte nearly leaps out of his robe as Borgrim's heavy, non-sliced hand lands with a *thump* on the youth's shoulder. He spins around and stares for a moment at the bloodied hand thrust toward his face, mouth agape.

    "Uh-uh-uh, y-yes sir, r-right this way!" The youth stammers, eyes wide. He hesitates for a moment, clearly in a bit of a panic, and then leads the three at a jog to another small, solid door to the south of the Statue of At'ar, on the western wall. The youth waves the trio through into a marble tiled hallway, and raps frantically at the second door on the left. There is a creaking and rustling from within, and then the voice of Furtha the priest can be heard:

    "By the Goddess, what is it?" The door swings open. "Speak, boy!" Furtha then notices Borgrim, Rosa, and César, and a look of genuine surprise crosses his face.

    "H-he's b-bleeding bad, father!" The youth flails an arm about indicating Borgrim's bloodied hand.

    "Ah! What's happened? Come in, come in! Forum, fetch water at once, and be quick about it!" The youth sprints off down the hall, the slap of his sandalled feet loud and echoing. Furtha waves the three into a what looks like a study, with papers and books littered across a large desk, and two walls filled with more. The priest bustles over to a small cabinet, where he retrieves cloth and a wash basin. He motions to Borgrim to extend his arm, and the priest dabs at it with care. "Now, let's see how bad this is. Ah, quite deep, no wonder there's such a quantity of blood." As Furtha continues to mop up the blood, he glances up and raises an eyebrow.

    "And how exactly did you manage to sustain such an injury, hmm?" A moment later the youth returns with a water jug, which he pours into the basin. Furtha shoos him away. "Off you go, back to your duties."
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-09-12 at 09:51 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Oh, it's stupid really, Father Furtha. I was teasing Rosa about stealing those ruby eyes on the idol out there - I'm sorry, she's slightly gullible, and .. well, I know I shouldn't amuse myself on her behalf like this, so maybe I deserved the wounded hand. I was playing at prying out the eyes with my knife, and like a moron, I tripped .. and now I guess the joke's on me, eh?

    So, do you think the hand can be saved? I kinda need it for barbarianing. Do you think At'ar will show mercy on a silly man?


    *wink*
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-09-12 at 11:38 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Furtha dabs away with a wet cloth at Borgrim's hand and takes a closer look at the wound once it's clean. He pauses to squint up at Borgrim as the half-orc explains how the injury came about. Then he rolls his eyes and shrugs. {Deception:Brogrim is successful}

    "I think At'ar will see this as punishment enough for your foolishness, young Borgrim. You really did manage to get quite a deep cut... but worry not, I shall have it mended in a moment."

    Furtha places the bloodies cloth on the edge of the basin. He takes Borgrims injured hand in both of his and bows his head. "Boed i'r clwyf hwn gael ei wneud yn gyfan!" the priest chants. Borgrim feels a warmth spread up his arm as the words are spoken, and a tingling sensation in his palm continues for several moments. Furtha clasps the hand firmly, then smiles at Borgrim and releases it. The cut is completely closed up, with only a faint line of reddened skin to mark where it was.

    "There we are, good as new! You might have a slight soreness in your palm for a day or two, but that should clear. I do think you should be rather more careful with your jests, however. It can be easy to get carried away and take them too far. Now, was there anything else? I trust you found Petra, and she was informative, I hope?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I used Borgrim's previous roll of 20 for the deception vs insight check, since I gave Rosa advantage earlier. Furtha's roll (ignore spoiler) is Here.

    I have to say I got a good chuckle when Borgrim first decided just to cut himself open
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-09-13 at 11:41 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim looks at his newly healed hand, an unmistakenly disappointed look on his face. He clears up quickly, and smiles brightly.

    Boys will be boys, eh? I'm just thankful At'ar is more forgiving than Rosa.

    Petra was most helpful. I would give her the day off from her menial duties, she was really helpful. Oh, and .. should she come up with any further details, we'll be at the Dagger inn. We would have stayed at the Flowers and Butterflies inn, but we do have a reputation to uphold, right?

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    When everyone is ushered into the room, Rosa stays behind, next to the door. After Furtha shoos the acolyte away, Rosa waits a little more. While Furtha is busy with Borgrim, she bolts the door close, dryly, trying to produce a dramatic noise. She clears her throat, then turns to Furtha with a mirthless, even predatory, smile.

    "I would advise against screaming. Let's have a nice little chat, and we'll be on our way. Good you stopped poor Borgrim's bleeding, because, well, you know, blood is a dangerous thing to play with, priest.." Rosa's smiles widens, this time with little smugness at managing to place the quotation. "You'd better start talking about your nightly activities. I don't think that's the kind of thing bigwigs in the church would approve of."

    Rosa turns to Faust: "Do you know if the church of At'ar employ inquisitors? I'm pretty sure they'd be less friendly than us."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That should put the fear of god PC in the clergyman: Intimidation - (1d20+2)[14]. I believe I should get advantage, here: Advantage - (1d20+2)[17]. There's some ambiguity whether we somehow learnt about his botched summoning, or that we're sent by whatever he managed to summon, ambiguity that should not be so reassuring.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-09-16 at 04:04 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Petra was most helpful. I would give her the day off from her menial duties, she was really helpful. Oh, and .. should she come up with any further details, we'll be at the Dagger inn. We would have stayed at the Flowers and Butterflies inn, but we do have a reputation to uphold, right?
    Furtha begins tidying up, setting the blood soak cloth aside and moving the basin to a sideboard. He smiles and answers: "Well, I'll see what I can do, but we are rather busy with preparations for the festival, as I'm sure you know. I'll keep it in mind, of course!" Furtha glances toward the door when Rosa closes it with a sharp *clack*, but otherwise pays her no mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    "I would advise against screaming. Let's have a nice little chat, and we'll be on our way. Good you stopped poor Borgrim's bleeding, because, well, you know, blood is a dangerous thing to play with, priest.." Rosa's smiles widens, this time with little smugness at managing to place the quotation. "You'd better start talking about your nightly activities. I don't think that's the kind of thing bigwigs in the church would approve of."
    {Intimidate: Success} Furtha turns back toward Rosa after placing down the basin. The smile on his face quickly fades, along with the colour in his cheeks. His pupils dilate and perspiration begins to bead on his brow. The priest casts quick, panicked glances at Borgrim and César, but finds no succour. Defeated, he places a shaking hand on the desk to steady himself as he sinks into his chair. His peers up at Rosa, taking in her unique appearance, as if seeing her properly for the first time.

    "Ha. Apt, I suppose. Now, I-I-I don't think there's any need to involve anyone else, d-don't you agree? I'll cooperate, of course, of course." Furtha lets out a small, pained sigh, then continues. "As your master has no doubt surmised, I have been, ah, offering my services as a conjurer and binder for certain... clients. There's quite a demand for it in the city, you know. So I call upon spirits of various sorts, and bind them into objects."

    "Mostly I use rough-cut gems -- garnets and other semi-precious stones are best-- but occasionally I have requests for specific items. I conduct a ritual, which the Hall here helps to, ah, amplify, and I trap the spirit in the object. Then I have an intermediary deliver it to the client to use for... whatever use they have. The blood is a little harder to procure. Oh! But I assure you I don't hurt anyone to get it!" Furtha looks worriedly at Rosa, and then to Borgrim and César.

    "Your master wants in on the trade, is that it?" Furtha continues, looking down at his hands and mumbling to himself: "More wards, should have been tidier, look what you've got yourself into!" Furtha looks up. "Ah, my apologies! What other specifics did you need to know? Of course, perhaps you could see clear to keeping this to yourselves, yes? If my clients caught wind of this, well, things would be very bad for me, I'm certain..."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Faust/César would know that the church of At'ar in Port Blacksand doesn't employ an inquisition. However, they still have their own convoyers (guards/escorts) and the other priests/bishops and arch-bishop would be more than willing to take action against a suspected heretic or desecrator. And in such a case they would prefer to dole out their own justice, rather than handing the suspect over to the city.
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-09-16 at 09:56 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim very slowly unsheathes his sword. It is unnecessarily large - almost as tall as a man, wide, gleaming brightly from near-compulsive levels of sharpening and maintainance. It is a prescence in the room, like a fifth person, a promise of lethal violence, a poem of death. It seems to almost whisper .. don't be afraid - it will be swift - there will be no pain - I am your best and final friend ...

    Borgrim doesn't utter a word. He just let's the menace of the bared blade lend it's weight to Rosa's.

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa makes a show of raising a staying hand towards the half-orc. "He's cooparating, isn't he?"

    She turns back to the priest: "Nobody will know, as long as you cooperate. What will happen to your trade depends on your next answers. What, precisely and exhaustively, do you know of our master? And then, another thing: why did you lie to us about those cultists? What more do you know of them?"
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim smiles wide, as if considering whether cooperation is really enough, but then reluctantly relents, and - slightly - lowers his blade.

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Furtha stares at Borgrim's blade as Rosa continues. With seemingly great effort, the priest pulls his eyes back to the tiefling woman. He draws a shaky breath and rummages with an unsteady hand in a desk drawer, finally pulling out a small, dark bottle and a glass. He pours out a small measure of what appears to be alcohol, and then downs the shot in one motion.

    "Can I o-offer any of you a drink? No? Ah... so, he is your master. Right. I did a little reading after our, uh, meeting. As a precaution, you understand. When one is confronted with an apparition such as that, no matter how brief, I think it best to find out all one can. Your master goes by the name 'Zanbar Bone', and is a warlock of considerable power, rumoured to have been defeated many years ago by a wizard by the name of Nicodemus. Nicodemus was aided in this by Zanbar Bone's former mentor, Vermithrax Moonchaser. This defeat was not as complete as the sources I read claim, evidenced by my meeting with your master two nights ago, and your appearance here now. I know that your master now can project himself, or travel, across large distances by moonlight. He is capable of sensing the calling of other spirits, and somehow, locating the source of that calling -- much to my chagrin." Furtha gives a weak smile.

    "Older accounts claim Zanbar Bone had some skill in necromancy and the binding of demons, and that he used these powers against his rival and former mentor. I would assume he still possesses such talents. It is possible that he used some form of binding ritual to avoid his previous defeat, and is why he now has the appearance of a dread skeleton. That's my own conjecture, however."

    Furtha pours another small shot and drinks it. "I'm afraid I didn't find much in the way of specifics. I don't know why your master is back, or what his designs for Port Blacksand -- if any -- may be. However, there have a been a few recent rumours going about the city that have taken on a new light since our 'meeting'. I've heard a number of accounts -- third and fourth hand, though -- of devilish attacks at night, leaving terribly disfigured and sometimes dismembered bodies." Furtha leans in closer, over his desk, and lowers his voice to a whisper. "I have also heard very quiet whispers that not all the noble houses are pleased with Lady Salancia's current rule. Rumblings from House Rogoan and House Valentis. Protests from the Merchants Guild, and more trouble from the free merchants, as always. Perhaps, and forgive me If I presume too much, your master is interested in exploiting such things?"

    Furtha leans back in his chair. "Now, the cultists, as you call them? Forgive me, but I don't recall lying about them. I, ah, may not have offered every detail or suspicion that I had, but that's not the same thing, is it? I suspected that the group was perhaps poking into my own affairs, which may or may not have been the case. But now you know that, so it doesn't much matter. I just thought that making it sound like they were making a ritual sacrifice would be more convincing, and get you out of my hair."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    César watches the proceedings with detached fascination. 'This is never going to work', he finds himself thinking. And yet, it does, sort of, thanks in part to Rosa's quick thinking. Intimation does not come naturally to him quite yet. He can only stand quietly in the background, hoping that his silent state will appear ominous.

    He listens as the priest speaks a flood of words, one after the other. Eventually, he feels it's his time to say something. He decides to style himself as the good cop, or at least the "less evil" one.
    "You have unearthed quite the amount of information in such a short time. I'm impressed. It might be more beneficial to make use of your services in the future, rather than take care of you as a loose end. What do you say?" he says to the others.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa nods to Faust. That's what she had in mind. "My train of thought, exactly. It's good to see the priest has done his homework."

    She watches the priest, narrowing her eyes. "Things are going to get complicated. You're not far from the truth, really. Our master makes uses of a variety of catspaw, fronts and retainers. There's some level of, let's say, competition between each and all of them. Consolidation is obviously to our master's best interest." She pauses again, obviously gauging the priest. "Here's what's possible: I say you stop your little side hustle for a couple weeks, time needed for us to, ahem, negotiate with our competitors and things to settle down. On your side, you learn anything more about our competitors, you get us word. Once we're done, on our side, we promise we'll get a you a preferential rate on the cut, going as easy on you as possible. That works for you? I think it's in your best interests we succeed, don't you think? Better the Devil you know." Rosa smiles, once again.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It's not like he really gets a choice, here. Furtha may reasonably believe that if we go down, he goes down with us. I don't think it's necessary to make explicit the threat of taking precautions for information about Furtha to reach the church leaders in case we turn up dead. He's a smart guy, can figure it out on his own.

    Still, it's still a step further into the bluff so in case another roll is required: Deception - (1d20+2)[13], Advantage - (1d20+2)[8].
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-09-18 at 02:49 PM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    "You have unearthed quite the amount of information in such a short time. I'm impressed. It might be more beneficial to make use of your services in the future, rather than take care of you as a loose end."
    Furtha waves his hand in acknowledgement. "You are most kind, lieutenant. Truth be told, the Temple has quite an impressive private library, and I was lucky in my searching."

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Rosa nods to Faust. That's what she had in mind. "My train of thought, exactly. It's good to see the priest has done his homework."

    She watches the priest, narrowing her eyes. "Things are going to get complicated. You're not far from the truth, really. Our master makes uses of a variety of catspaw, fronts and retainers. There's some level of, let's say, competition between each and all of them. Consolidation is obviously to our master's best interest." She pauses again, obviously gauging the priest. "Here's what's possible: I say you stop your little side hustle for a couple weeks, time needed for us to, ahem, negotiate with our competitors and things to settle down. On your side, you learn anything more about our competitors, you get us word. Once we're done, on our side, we promise we'll get a you a preferential rate on the cut, going as easy on you as possible. That works for you? I think it's in your best interests we succeed, don't you think? Better the Devil you know." Rosa smiles, once again.
    {Deception: Success} Furtha waggles his bushy eyebrows in thought for a moment. He shrugs. "You know, I don't think I've much choice, and what you suggest doesn't sound unreasonable. I'd already decided against any more business for the time being, at least until I could guarantee that I wouldn't have a repeat visit from your master. (Nothing like an animated skeleton appearing out of nowhere to set the heart pounding!) So, ah, that part of the deal won't be any trouble. As for the competition, you mean the, ahem, 'cultists', yes? I that's the case, I'll see what I can scrounge up. Of course, you understand I'll be busy the next few days with the festival preparations, so I won't be able to devote the entirety of my time to research. I'll need to maintain my position here in order to best help you." Furtha hurriedly raises his hands. "But I can spare some time, don't worry! There's not too many things that I have to supervise directly, after all. And there may be a few unorthodox methods I can use to help me."

    Furtha clasps his hands together and his posture relaxes. "Well, that's settled, then! Ah, is there an establishment that I could send a note to in order to let you know I've found something? Otherwise, If you come back anytime after the festival, three days from now, I expect I'll have found something. That is, if there's anything in the library here to be found. Of course, you're free to check in sooner as well, it's up to you."
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-09-18 at 09:09 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "Wise decision. You can leave a message with Esme, at the Mermaid. Yet, we may have to move around thus miss any message. We'll have to check on you anyways."

    Rosa cringes at the thought of trying to get Borgrim to settle down in a library, images of burning books and crumbling bookcase come immediately to mind. "My sword wielding colleague isn't too fond of books nor time spent in dusty libraries." Rosa pats the half-orc on the shoulder as if to express, it's okay, we like you like you are.

    "Yet, we may well need to come check those books at a later date. As for your own research, I advise looking for a Crow deity, possibly with shape-shifting followers, whose divine focus looks like the feather I've shown you earlier."

    Rosa gives questioning looks to both Faust and Borgrim. "Anything else? Or it's time we leave our newest associate to his own devices?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Delegate boring library work while we go bash more heads, wrist more hands and lie and cheat and threaten our way through this quagmire.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim is about to leap to the defence of not only himself, but barbarians everywhere, and claim that he loves to read - but it's important to keep your priorities straight, and barbarians everywhere will just have to fend for themselves. Also, Borgrim really wouldn't want to be caught dead with a book in his hands. So he leans in, giving the priest the eye, and whispers softly:

    I require five minutes alone inside the temple - with no one watching, do you understand? Inform me of a time of day when this may be possible, and .. you and I will have an accord.

    Then he smiles, and pats the priest on the shoulder in a friendly manner.

    Good doing business with you, priest Furtha. Thank you kindly, and have a pleasant day.

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    "["Anything else? Or it's time we leave our newest associate to his own devices?"
    Furtha nods. "Of course, I wasn't suggesting that you pour through the documents with me; In any case, I'd have plenty of trouble getting you permission into the library regardless. Best you leave me too it. Oh, and before you go, could I see the feather amulet once more?"

    Furtha scrounges about in a drawer before pulling out some thin parchment and charcoal. He takes the feather and makes a quick rubbing of the amulet on the parchment. "There, now I won't have to worry about missing any detail." Furtha hands back the feather pendant and places the parchment in the top drawer of his desk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I require five minutes alone inside the temple - with no one watching, do you understand? Inform me of a time of day when this may be possible, and .. you and I will have an accord.

    Then he smiles, and pats the priest on the shoulder in a friendly manner.

    Good doing business with you, priest Furtha. Thank you kindly, and have a pleasant day.
    Furtha leans in to listen to Borgrim, and shoots Rosa a questioning look. Furtha throws up his hands. "There is an entrance into the courtyard from the alley North of the Temple, just off of Temple Street. Knock on the door three times, at midnight tonight, and I shall let you in. Against my better judgement."

    Furtha makes a show of standing up, and sweeps his arm toward the door. "A good day to you all."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Faced with the need to locate strange things in a strange city, Borgrim grabs someone scholarly looking, frowns at him like violence is not to be ruled out, and asks:

    Scholarly person! Tell me immediately where to find black pearls and/or lotus blossoms in this town! It's of vital importance.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    So ... every test is really an Intimidate test =D
    Intimidate: (1d20+3)[15]

    And I restate my suggestion that Intimidate be Strength based =)

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim, Rosa, and César leave Furtha to his research and return to the Temple Hall, which has begun to fill with worshipers awaiting the midday observance. A stately woman, dressed in robes with a golden cord about her waist, lights several incense burners as the trio pass. Exiting the temple, Borgrim proceeds to accost the nearest passerby:

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Scholarly person! Tell me immediately where to find black pearls and/or lotus blossoms in this town! It's of vital importance.
    An aging gentleman in simple clothing and small, square hat turns in shock to face Borgrim, who maintains a secure grip on the fellow's scruff. The gentleman's mouth works open and closed as he attempts to reconcile the violent act with the fairly polite request. {Intimidate: Success} After 5 or so seconds the man manages to form a reply:

    "Ah, ah, there's an emporium which, ah, sells flowers -- among other things -- on the c-corner of Glove Street and the Street of Knives, sir! A reputable place, or so I'm told! Uh, uh, Marigold's! That's the name, I'm quite sure! I'm afraid I don't know about black pearls, apologies, sir! Perhaps one of the jewellers in the Merchants District? Sorry I can't be of more help!"

    The gentleman tips his hat toward Borgrim and gives a worried smile as he waits to be freed from Borgrim's firm grasp. "Nice weather today, eh? Quite pleasant after all that rain, wouldn't you agree?"
    Last edited by Wogwoggle; 2019-09-20 at 12:40 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Borgrim seems to only now notice his grip on the gentleman. He releases him, and gently straightens his clothing.

    Marigold's, corner of Gloves and Knives. And possibly a jeweller. Excellent, thank you kindly good sir.

    Yes, wonderful weather. Thanks again, and have a continued pleasant day, sir.

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    As they get further away from the gentleman, Rosa punches Borgrim on the shoulder. "Would you stop doing that! What in the Nine Hells and Seven Heavens is wrong with you? You very nearly scared that old man to death!"

    Rosa shakes her head. "We can't go around scaring all the townsfolk or we'll end up having to answer for it. It's fine to put the fear of death in a crooked priest, but seriously everyday regular Joe and Jack must be left alone. I mean it seriously Borgim!"

    Rosa's tone is lightly berating, yet she can't keep her amusement entirely hidden. "You know, there was this fat kid at my village. He kept getting scolded for entering people's houses and stealing from those marmalade jars we kept all winter. He wouldn't even deny it when caught. Well, he left the pots open and had jam all over his shirt all the time. Anyways, you remind me of him. Not that your fat. Neither are you a kid." Rosa scowls at that last thought.

    "Speaking of kids, I need to take a short detour by the Spotted Dog, come on. I promise I'll make it short lest you loose patience and none of us wants that."

    Rosa lets a couple breathes pass. "Well, except in the temple. I admit it looked like a stupid move, but cutting your own hand turned to be, to my own bafflement and it hurt to say, a smart idea."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rosa's gonna do the responsible thing and check if that kid (or his minders) have called upon her at the Spotted Dog.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2019-09-21 at 02:28 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    But .. I got valuable information. Also, what will I have to answer for. Asking insistently? I doubt there's a law against that.

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "There isn't. However, the moment you put your hands on them you can be changed with assault." explains César. "Of course, that only matters if they are someone important and influential, or if you do it blatantly in front of a group of guards. Still, best not to overdo it."

    He follows the others wherever they are headed.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    I'd be endlessly surprised if the guards did anything but laugh at even a fairly bloody fight among commoners - unless it somehow disturbed someone important.

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    "There are some on the force who think it's great how they are getting paid to bulgeon people on the street with impunity. Let's not find out who they are. Not because we can't take them, but for the waves it might create."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    I've never met a watchman I couldn't outrun. Don't worry, I won't bring the entire city down on us .. but tapping into the knowledge of locals is valuable and necessary.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Also, if the designers wanted Barbarians to be more subtle, they should have given them Diplomacy. Now I gotta make do with Intimidate. Blame them, not me =D

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    iTookUrNick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Cèsar shrugs. That's good enough for him.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That's why they made backgrounds
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

    PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wogwoggle's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    The old gentleman tips his hat once more and hurries off North along Temple Road, somewhat bemused by Borgrim's manner. Borgrim, Rosa, and César for their part head South toward the Street of Knives -- not as dangerous a part of Port Blacksand as the name would suggest. The three turn carry on eastward down one of the cities wider streets, which is much more crowded than any have been since their arrival. Street vendors and shops have line the thoroughfare, showing off a wide assortment of utilitarian and decorative blades in all manner of metals. The midday sun nears its zenith as the trio turns the shallow corner onto Glove Street, and spot 'Marigold's Manifold Emporium'. Borgrim and César step inside while Rosa continues on her way to The Spotted Dog.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Don't worry, I'm not trying to pull anything sneaky by splitting you up. I assume you'll have arranged to meet back at the intersection of Market Street and Glove Street (or something like that). Hope that's alright.


    Inside of 'Marigold's' a small bell tinkles as Borgrim and César enter, and cheerful, colorfully dressed halfling woman bustles out of a backroom to greet them. "Goodday to you both! What can I help you with? Or did you just want a look around?" One half of the shop is lined with an assortment of flowers and herbs, while the rest is dedicated to wide variety of furs, fabrics, small metal works, and decorative jewelry and pieces.

    ******

    Rosa makes her way quickly down busy Market Street to the small, rough building of The Spotted Dog. The half-troll bouncer, Georgie, nods in greeting to Rosa's familiar face, then returns to his reading (some sort of adventure novel, by the looks of it). The pub is quiet, only peopled by regulars looking to enjoy the midday special. Hansel Tully, the old, bald, scarred proprietor waves to Rosa from behind the bar, where a young boy is assisting in cleaning a number of miss-matched glasses and steins.

    "Ah, the Rose what has Thorns returns! Make yourself at home, dear friend!" Tully tussles the boys hair playfully. "Yer looking out for this one, then, are ya? I got 'im helping me out while we waited for ya, I hope you don't mind. Come, sit, sit!"

    Tully grabs a tankard and pours a deep brown ale, setting onto the bar. "Been a few weeks since we last saw ya, the City treating you alright?" Despite the gruff appearance, the barkeep gives off an air of genuine interest.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I took the liberty of assuming that The Spotted Dog is one of Rosa's more habitual haunts, I hope that's alright. I think it makes some sense that Rosa would try to convince the boy to go to a place where she would know that he would be relatively safe.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Beyond the City of Thieves IC

    Rosa smiles at the kid and gives him a slight nod.

    "Hello Tully, excuse-me for the absence of news."

    Rosa hesitates in front of the tankard. She relents, grabbing her drink, but doesn't take a sit.

    "And excuse-me a second time, as I won't be staying long today. How the kid's doing with the help part? I hope you put some heart into it, kid," she adds with good humor. "And I don't think I ever caught your name, kiddo?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I originally chose the Spotted Dog because it was the only inn or tavern mentioned at the time, and I knew it was both quite close to the ambush site and on the other side of the river.

    So, does Tully have kids of his own? Is the Spotted Dog doing well financially? Because I feel like adoption be someone other than a Chaotic adventurer to be a pretty good outcome, here. And Tully seems to at least enjoy the help, whether he needs it or not.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •