1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Good And Cheap Gamepad For Laptop Gaming

See title. I want to get a nice gamepad, but obviously don't want to spend too much. And I have no idea what I should be looking for in a gamepad.

For reference, I have an Alienware laptop, and am looking to play games like Binding of Isaac, Megaman X Legacy Collection, Bethesda games, and probably others I'm forgetting.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Good And Cheap Gamepad For Laptop Gaming

Passing to say I'm interested in advice for this as well. My first thought has always being "xbox one controller", but would like to hear others opinions on that.

My main use would be to play fighting games (Tekken 7 and Killer Instinct in particular; I'm well accustomed to play the King of Fighters erratically in a keyboard for that to matter at this point! x.x), but it would be nice to see how much impact it would have in other games I play (like plataformers and some action games).

Top of line recommendations would be good as well, if only for reference!
    "Stop talking." - Roy
    Surprised Champion Predictor of the Rastakhan Rumble's Card Rating Competition in the Playground - "I could predict pretty much anything, besides winning this competition!" - Myself, probably

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I have a basic Logitech Dual-shock (Playstation 2-era layout, roughly) knockoff design that I've not had any major problems with, picked it up for.. I want to say like $15. Works for me, although if you have strong opinions about game controllers you probably wouldn't consider it 'good' (checking Google suggests it's probably the F310.) If you don't like the Dualshock style layout you pretty much are stuck with an XBox controller, and a third-party wired one should run about 20-30$. They're hard to find wireless for cheap.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I use an Xbone controller and a friend uses a PS4's.

They're designs that have been kept, iterated & refined for years now since the original SNES gamepad for a reason.

I would say pick where you like your thumbsticks and go for it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Went with the F310.

Thanks y'all!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The classic solution that I'd recommend to anyone is to get yourself a wired Xbox 360 controller. They don't require any fancy software to manage, they work for pretty much any game. In fact, so many games (ports, especially) are planned around using Xbox gamepads that they actually change the icons and menus to adapt to the controller (So instead of saying "Press Enter", it'll say "Press A"). The Bioshock games do this, if I remember correctly.

Keep in mind, when I say "wired", I mean it has to have no wireless function. Plugging a charger cord to a wireless 360 controller won't do anything; the power port for the controllers only transfer power, not information.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-16 at 03:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!