Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lamellar Armor?

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Lamellar Armor?

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Thank you all for the advice! To specify a bit further, I was inspired by the image of the gentleman on the right in this picture (the one labelled "Fists of the Bandit Queen")

Spoiler
    Show

What would be the best armor to invest in if I was playing a character based on that, most likely as a Ranger or something?
    As a Ranger, Scale would be a good fit I think.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GlenSmash! View Post
    As a Ranger, Scale would be a good fit I think.
    I thought that would be the case, and wanted to make sure that'd be correct.

Thank you!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I thought that would be the case, and wanted to make sure that'd be correct.

Thank you!
    An argument could be make for scale, splint, half plate, or plate with that image.

It's what you want it to be. It's your fantasy game.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    And it doesn't even do that halfway decently. Padded armor is way too bad, leather armor almost certainly didn't look like that, and studded leather and splint mail never existed at all. Neither does banded mail, scale mail, and plate mail, because mail means chain, not armor.
    Chain shirt, chainmail, breastplate, and full plate are the only armor types that reflect actual European armor. Scale armor also looks good, though it's not a medieval European armor.
    Lorica squamata was certainly European, although not medival; and the Persians and other cultures from similar regions wore scale in the medival period, so they weren't European. But the armour itself was real, and was used.

As for mail, yes maille is specifically referring to linked metal rings forming a wide variety of armour shapes and sizes, with the size and pattern of the links determining a bunch of factors. That being said, mail in referring to armour has picked up the connotation of being another word for armour, probably from when the best armour a warrior could buy was plate-and-maille. It gets shortened to plate-maille, and eventually platemail.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    And it doesn't even do that halfway decently. Padded armor is way too bad, leather armor almost certainly didn't look like that, and studded leather and splint mail never existed at all. Neither does banded mail, scale mail, and plate mail, because mail means chain, not armor.
    Chain shirt, chainmail, breastplate, and full plate are the only armor types that reflect actual European armor. Scale armor also looks good, though it's not a medieval European armor.
    Plate Mail and Splint Mail are just player conventions/habits at this point. Their official names are either "Splint" and "Plate" or "Splint Armor" and "Plate Armor" at least as far as I can tell. The only ones called mail still are Scale Mail, Ring Mail, and Chain Mail.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2019-05-19 at 09:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide