Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Keep on the Shadowfell: Orcus Conversion (D&D 4e)

Douvan Stahl, a teacher at the Academy of Mages, is missing. Three weeks ago, he went to investigate a dragon burial site near Winterhaven, but nobody's seen or heard any sign of him since, which is very unusual for him. His brilliant young apprentice, Jessica Darkwood, has heard reports that a death cultist named Kalarel has stolen an evil artifact and is suspected to be in the area, and she believes he may have had something to do with her mentor's disappearance. She intends to investigate the cult, learn what happened to Douvan, and rescue him, but she knows that no matter how much of a magical prodigy she is, an eleven-year-old girl can't take on a death cult alone. As a result, she is seeking capable and trustworthy adventurers to accompany, assist, and protect her on this mission.

System: D&D 4e
    Player Count: Recruiting four player characters: one Defender, one Striker, one Leader, and one who can be of any role. In addition, onlie2005 has already applied with Jessica and been accepted as the Controller.
    Style of Play: Play-by-post on GITP.
    Allowed Content: All first-party material, including Dragon Magazine. However, everything must be clearly labeled and cited on your sheet.

Character Creation:

• Backstory: I'd like to have a basic idea of your personality and history.
    • Experience: Start at level 1.
    • Wealth: 100 gp, as normal for starting 4e characters.
    • Ability Scores: 22-point buy.
    • Hitpoints/Health: As usual for 4e.
    • Alignment: No evil or chaotic evil.
    Last edited by RoTWS; 2019-05-20 at 05:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Keep on the Shadowfell: Orcus Conversion (D&D 4e)

Repeating expression of interest, I have no preference on role at this time.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Here's Overyx Terii, Goliath Warden (Defender)

Overyx Terii has known only the rocky crags and jagged peaks of the Spine of the World for thirty long years. It has taken him that long to see what the stones were showing him. He knew only he must emerge from his isolated temple and his long meditation and be as the boulder that starts the avalanche.

He is a young goliath raised deep in the north. Centuries ago, a mad sorceror fled into the mountains and founded an isolated temple, dedicated to tapping into the very spirit of the world itself. While the sorceror died without attaining the power he sought, the small institution he settled drew scattered worshippers and adherents, attracted to the rift to the Elemental Plane of Earth the sorceror had managed to stabilize. Due to the nature of the place, more than a few Earth-aligned races found there way there, seeking the peace and harmony that resonated among the mountains. Overyx has grown among this community, training as guardian of the monastery and developing a deep primal connection with the rocks and crust of the planet itself and the Earthen Plane beyond.

He leaves now to pursue the edges of the vision granted to him by the planet's own soul...or so he believes. What part can he play in what is to come?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    Repeating expression of interest, I have no preference on role at this time.
    Same. I have a preference for the Gnoll race, but I may forgo that for enough hilarity.

5. - Top - End - #5

Planning on a leader- probably a Shaman|Sentinel hybrid if the DM is okay with it (to the DM: it involves multiple "pets," the Shaman's Spirit Companion, the Sentinel's Animal Companion, and Fey Beast Tamer's Fey Beast Companion, so it can be hard to keep track of). If you'd prefer something less complex, probably a Warlord|Cleric hybrid, with WIS and CHA primary, or a Bard|Ardent hybrid, with CHA and CON primary..

6. - Top - End - #6

Planetar

interested, still not sure as what, since it's been about half a year since I laid my hand on 4th ed, so itll take me some time to decide what I want to be...maybe a psionic class, or a skald? Ill think about it

EDIT-Ill probably submit an pursuit avenger, not sure about the details yet (still need to decide if I prefer an archer or melee)
    Last edited by Heavenblade; 2019-05-15 at 04:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Sorry if it is too large but I am giving you this picture which I found in the net to give you an idea of what she sort of gives the impression about her. An innocent little girl that seems to have the ability to take care of herself and hold her own in the wilderness. My character sheet is done for your approval. Have small question. In Heroes of the Fallen Lands page 57 when selecting a new power I can choose from a different source as long as it is from the same class, level and type. I really want to choose the wizard daily power Flaming Sphere(PHB I) instead of Fountain of Flame. Evocation Mage is a wizard subclass. May I choose Flaming Sphere instead?

Name: Jessica Darkwood
    Race: Human
    Hair: Golden Blonde
    Eyes: Blue
    Height: 4'1"
    Weight: 60 lbs
    Class: Evocation Mage
    Alignment: Good

Description: Jessica tends to dress in plain clothing and is tomboyish in style and dress. She hates dresses and fluffy clothing. She is also very observant and has a keen eye. Very self sufficient and independent. Seems well travelled and despite her cuteness and smallness is by no means an easy target in the wilderness or city.

Jessica stands 4 feet 1 inch tall and has long, wavy, auburn hair and sparkling blue eyes that light up her presence whenever she smiles or laughs. She is fairskinned and is around 11-12 years of age. Her attire consists of a light blue shirt, brown pants, a hooded green cloak which partially conceals a backpack and a pair of black boots. There is a sheathed dagger on her belt.

Personality: Jessica is a brave and courageous child with a stubborn and convictive streak. She is kindhearted and generous. The girl is constantly on the move and is very independent by nature, getting things done on the button and is self sufficient. She fights for the good of others, especially for the poor and downtrodden.

She does tend to be a loner though and a bit of a 'lone wolf'. Very emotional and stubborn.

Background

Johan Darkwood and Marie Swordheart were both adventuring wizards who had fallen in love but could not sum up the courage to tie the knot. But then Marie became pregnant. So they settled down in Winterhaven and 9 months later Marie gave birth to a baby girl whom they named Jessica or Jess for short. However Marie developed a dangerous infection and died.

Despite this terrible loss, Johan poured all of his love and affection to his daughter. She became his life and he became hers. To his surprise, Jess proved to be an exceptionally bright child learning to read fluently by age 3 and even write to a limited degree at age 4. She loved books and tomes, and was an avid student and researcher at an early age.

While this pleased Johan, it also worried him too. She spent too much time in the library studying. At ages 4 to 6 she was being quite the student. Which was fine by him. But Jess proved also to be a sickly child. Flus and boughts of shivering and malaise were a problem with Jess. She had no problem studying and learning quickly because she was in bed most of her young life.

So when Jess asked her father to teach her magic, while this pleased him immensely, he did so with a plan. First he packed up all his stuff and his daughter's and sold the shop. Then he took his daughter and once more began to live the life of an adventurer. Jess was 5 at the time.

There were several reasons for this. When Johan was young he also suffered the kind of childhood Jess suffered through. Until his ranger father took him out into the forest and began gradually training him in outdoor survival. It helped toughen him up physically and for years he actually became a ranger until he developed an interest in magic.

So he did so with Jess, teaching her how to survive in the outdoors,and how to hunt and forage for food. He did this along with days of training her to learn spellcasting and manipulating the energies of the arcane. Jess found that she loved both, finding the peace and serenity of the wilderness and forests a calming influence which helped her study better and develop good concentration skills. She proved to be a quick learner and was mastering Cantrips by age 9. Eventually Johan gave her her first spellbook at age 10. But what was more important to him was that Jess was getting healthier and stronger physically. The gradual and careful exposure to the outdoors helped her develop a stronger constitution and made her overcome her earlier childhood bouts of sickness.

Jessica and her father was also in constant contact with Douven Stahl, Johan's former mentor and friend. Whenever Johan went on a mission that might be deemed to dangerous for Jessica, he left her under the care and tutelage of Douven and his wife. Douven would often refer Jessica other mages and sages to work with them on their research. Thus Jessica earned money on her own and had a more varied education other than her father.

Then tragedy struck. About a week before Jess's 10th birthday, a town she and her father visited was struck by a plague. Both she and her father fell ill. It would later be determined that the plague was caused by tainted well water, a favourite revenge tactic by a vicious priest named Kalarel after he was banished from town when he tried to obtain a ritual component located in a shop there for his own nefarious purposes. Jessica's own will to live and her previous battles with sickness when she was very young managed to help her overcome it with her father's help. Her father helped develop an alchemical cure for the plague but risked his own health doing so. He died at his daughter's bedside as Jess's fever broke and she began to recover.

After hearing about Johan's death, Douven immediately went to the now desolate town and picked her up. He took her in as his ward, just as he did with her father years before. For the past year Jessica has been living under the mentorship and care of Douven Stahl and taking research job using Douven himself as a reference to help improve her education and mage skills. Recently Douven went on an excursion to explore a dragon burial site near Winterhaven, Jessica former childhood home. Jessica was at the time doing research on Death Cults for Marla of the Great Church and could not go with him. That was three weeks ago and Mrs Stahl has not heard from him since and believes something is wrong. Also Marla of the Great Church believes that a Death Cult is operating in the area in and around Winterhaven. Worried about her husband and given Marla's concerns, combined with Jessica's extensive knowledge of Death Cults through her research, they agree, though guardedly, that Jessica is the best person to go and investigate the situation in Winterhaven. Marla believes also that Jessica was spending too much time in a library and needed to go out into the world a bit and Mrs Stahl agreed as well. Of course sending an 11 year old alone on such a quest was ridiculous and foolhardy without at least having some protection and help. Therefore they hire some trustworthy adventurers to assist and protect her on this mission. And this is where her adventures begin!

8. - Top - End - #8

Gonna just, note my interest for now. Been a while since I've seen 4E

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Planning on a leader- probably a Shaman|Sentinel hybrid if the DM is okay with it (to the DM: it involves multiple "pets," the Shaman's Spirit Companion, the Sentinel's Animal Companion, and Fey Beast Tamer's Fey Beast Companion, so it can be hard to keep track of). If you'd prefer something less complex, probably a Warlord|Cleric hybrid, with WIS and CHA primary, or a Bard|Ardent hybrid, with CHA and CON primary..
    Complex it may be, but I'll allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by onlie2005 View Post
    Have small question. In Heroes of the Fallen Lands page 57 when selecting a new power I can choose from a different source as long as it is from the same class, level and type. I really want to choose the wizard daily power Flaming Sphere(PHB I) instead of Fountain of Flame. Evocation Mage is a wizard subclass. May I choose Flaming Sphere instead?
    Certainly. Other than that, you're good.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Pencil me in as either a Gnoll Battlerager Fighter (defender with a striker secondary) or as an Eladrin princess Warlord.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by RoTWS View Post
    Complex it may be, but I'll allow it.

Certainly. Other than that, you're good.
    It seems like a lot of fun- but I don't think we currently have anyone with CHA at all, so I may go for one of the other two builds.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    It seems like a lot of fun- but I don't think we currently have anyone with CHA at all, so I may go for one of the other two builds.
    As I said, I can always take the Princess warlord. Int/Cha and never buys magic weapons so she's rich too.

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

I think that my character is going to be Jessica's cousin (if that's ok by you onlie2005), son of her mother's polder brother/sister, someone who is connected with the mystic arts, but not in the traditional way (artificer, swordmage, or sorcerer).

He heard about his uncle's death, and was sent by his parents to take care of jessica. He started looking for his cousin because he wanted to protect her. he arrived to the town only to find that her current ward also disappeared, and decided he will stick by her side until he will know she is safe.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    As I said, I can always take the Princess warlord. Int/Cha and never buys magic weapons so she's rich too.
    I'm really fine with Bardent if you'd prefer Fighter.

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

Ill probably build a hexblade, so no need for CHAracter, Im on the case

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    Ill probably build a hexblade, so no need for CHAracter, Im on the case
    Hmmm, interesting. Keep me posted- I'm comparing leader qualities today. If you didn't want to do CHA, I can still fulfill that, too.

17. - Top - End - #17

My character sheet is done. I decided to replace Phantom Chasm with the Flaming Sphere since Fountain of Flame is an evocation spell and given that Jessica is a evocation mage it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    I think that my character is going to be Jessica's cousin (if that's ok by you onlie2005), son of her mother's polder brother/sister, someone who is connected with the mystic arts, but not in the traditional way (artificer, swordmage, or sorcerer).

He heard about his uncle's death, and was sent by his parents to take care of jessica. He started looking for his cousin because he wanted to protect her. he arrived to the town only to find that her current ward also disappeared, and decided he will stick by her side until he will know she is safe.
    Fine by me. Adding to it , with your permission, suppose that your character was also trained or mentored by Douven Stahl so you and Jessica know each other well and were close like Jon Snow and Arya Stark, a doting older brother/cousin. The Darkwoods kept in contact with your family like any other close relative relationships and would visit them often whenever they passed by or when Johan dropped Jessica off at Douven Stahl's academy when he had to go on missions that were deemed far too dangerous for her to be with him.

Jessica is a kindhearted, feisty 11 year old girl with a go getter type attitude. She is fiercely independent and tends to take the initiative.

Anything you would like to add? :)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Character builder summary, with sources added
    Show
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Kashel of the Wildlands, level 1
    Gnoll, Fighter (Gnoll is Dragon 367)
    Fighter: Combat Agility (battlerager and combat agility are Martial Power. Battlerager has been erratad since original printing)
    Fighter Talents: Battlerager Vigor
    Background: Forest Warden (Forest Warden Benefit) (dragon 366)
    Theme: Guardian (Dragon 399)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 16, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 15 Will: 11
    HP: 31 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Endurance +5, Nature +7, Perception +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Arcana -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History -1, Insight +1, Intimidate +2, Religion -1, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery, Athletics

FEATS
    Level 1: Vigilante Justice Style (Dragon 373)

POWERS
    Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike (Martial power)
    Fighter at-will 1: Crushing Surge (martial power)
    Fighter encounter 1: Hack and Hew (martial power 2)
    Fighter daily 1: Unstoppable Advance (martial power 2)

ITEMS
    Khopesh, (Adventurer's Vault) Hide Armor, Heavy Shield, Adventurer's Kit, Gray Rain Cloak (Heros of the Feywild)
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Kashel of the Wildlands is a forest gnoll, without the infernal taint of the followers of the Demon Lord Yeenoghu. On decent terms with the Elves, Kashel is a known presence in the area, and a paid bodyguard and adventurer.

19. - Top - End - #19

Working on my character sheet- will post tomorrow night, because it's complicated.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Character submissions:

The Kool: No preference
    Atlastrembles: Warden (defender)
    Rakaydos: No preference Battlerager Fighter (Defender)
    masteraleph: Shaman|Sentinel Bard|Ardent hybrid Leader of some flavor
    Heavenblade: Pursuit Avenger (striker) Hexblade (striker)
    onlie2005: Essentials Wizard (controller)

21. - Top - End - #21

OldWizardGuy

Well, I've been looking over the PHB a bit (I will stick to the PHB because there's a lot of unfamiliar territory here), and I think I'll make a Cleric of some flavor.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

22. - Top - End - #22

Here's my Deva Sentinel|Shaman (Hybrid Sentinel is Dragon 400, Hybrid Shaman is PHB3):

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1913107

I'll post rules notes, background, and the stat block for my Living Zephyr companion and my Trained Young Owlbear companion tomorrow.

Summarizing sources:
    Deva- PHB2
    Hybrid Druid (Sentinel)- Dragon 400; original Sentinel is Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms.
    Hybrid Shaman: PHB3, original Shaman is PHB2.
    Auspicious Birth background: Scales of War
    Fey Beast Tamer theme: Heroes of the Feywild
    Hybrid Talent feat: PHB3.
    Powers:
    Healing Word is from PHB1/HotFK.
    Magic Stones is from HotFeywild.
    Deva's Racial power is from PHB2.
    The other powers are either PHB2 or Dark Sun Campaign Setting.

23. - Top - End - #23

Kobold

Sounds like this has pretty much found the full party it was looking for, but if there's any openings I'd be happy to put something together and give it a go. I only see Onlie mentioned in the top post (who I'm assuming is the fourth for that optional slot- unless that was 4 in addition to her?), but I see two other sheets submitted. I'm fine with any role, though mostly experienced with leaders and defenders- as controller and strikers tended to fill up quickly in any games I've joined in the past.

Given the setup I think if I went defender I'd be putting together a swordmage since the arcane college is already in it- possibly someone trained to act as a guard for the mages or a former student, probably leaning shielding aegis to build that theme, likely tiefling. Maybe grab a glaive to do something different, not sure how I'd optimize a polearm-swordmage as of yet. If striker I've got a rogue who might be very interested in having some arcane researchers owe her a favor, and the cult as well for that matter, whose campaign never got past the first encounter. I'd have to dial her back from level 2 to 1 and add citations, adjust stats for point buy since she was rolled up, and a theme possibly since I don't think she had one, but she's pretty much ready to go. If leader, I've wanted to try runemage a while- though with the likely party comp I would probably be more helpful going bard or cleric. I'm thinking a cleric of Ioun, I've wanted to make a librarian cleric/paladin of his for a while, and its another way to give my character a personal interest of some manner in things.

If anything is open I can probably have a character fully finished with citations and fluff set to go by the end of tomorrow. Probably today if it's the rogue since Lin Shi is practically done already.
    Last edited by Psychofish; 2019-05-19 at 11:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psychofish View Post
    Sounds like this has pretty much found the full party it was looking for, but if there's any openings I'd be happy to put something together and give it a go. I only see Onlie mentioned in the top post (who I'm assuming is the fourth for that optional slot- unless that was 4 in addition to her?), but I see two other sheets submitted. I'm fine with any role, though mostly experienced with leaders and defenders- as controller and strikers tended to fill up quickly in any games I've joined in the past.
    4e adventures are balanced for a five-person party. I'm recruiting four to join onlie. Feel free to make your submission.

25. - Top - End - #25

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by onlie2005 View Post
    My character sheet is done. I decided to replace Phantom Chasm with the Flaming Sphere since Fountain of Flame is an evocation spell and given that Jessica is a evocation mage it makes sense.

Fine by me. Adding to it , with your permission, suppose that your character was also trained or mentored by Douven Stahl so you and Jessica know each other well and were close like Jon Snow and Arya Stark, a doting older brother/cousin. The Darkwoods kept in contact with your family like any other close relative relationships and would visit them often whenever they passed by or when Johan dropped Jessica off at Douven Stahl's academy when he had to go on missions that were deemed far too dangerous for her to be with him.

Jessica is a kindhearted, feisty 11 year old girl with a go getter type attitude. She is fiercely independent and tends to take the initiative.

Anything you would like to add? :)
    Nah, im good. let's say he lived with his mother and father, who are more traditional "wizards in the tower" type, My character used to pass by, and when he heard that his uncle died he permanently apprenticed himself to Douven, in order to expand his horizons, and keep an eye on his cousin.

Psychofish-it seems we both landed in the same spot of the "wizard guard with a magic blade..."

26. - Top - End - #26

Kobold

Sounds like it! Running on the assumption the defender and leader submitted already go through, I'm probably going to be most effective build wise if I make a striker or a class that can split the difference on two rolls effectively. Granted, I'm usually more interested in flavor than optimization, but I try to bear in mind the party as a whole probably wants to be effective and not have anyone feeling like their toes are getting stepped on, let everyone shine at their preferred roll.

So that swordmage is kind of doubling up fluff wise on your direction, so that's not ideal. I'll have to see if I can get the cleric I have in mind to act as an off defender or controller- otherwise fixing Shi will be quick for me, unless I get inspired to go for another striker. IIRC hexblades are pretty melee oriented, so something with a more ranged focus might not be bad if a plot hook for a sorcerer or ranger strikes me.

27. - Top - End - #27

OldWizardGuy

Something tells me a party of 'leaders' all built in slightly different directions would be terrifying on the battlefield. I was thinking dwarf cleric, originally had wisdom in mind to see what I can do with healing but if there's other healers I might just go hammer smash cleric.

28. - Top - End - #28

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    Something tells me a party of 'leaders' all built in slightly different directions would be terrifying on the battlefield. I was thinking dwarf cleric, originally had wisdom in mind to see what I can do with healing but if there's other healers I might just go hammer smash cleric.
    I like that idea rather more than I should. At this point I'm debating either a Str/Cha melee cleric with a heavy lean toward being a striker/off striker, or going into a hybrid Str/Cha Cleric/Paladin which would probably be a very strange off-leader, off-striker, off-defender build. I already had a sheet labeled Book Wyrm for the cleric but I could just as easily make it the hybrid.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psychofish View Post
    I like that idea rather more than I should. At this point I'm debating either a Str/Cha melee cleric with a heavy lean toward being a striker/off striker, or going into a hybrid Str/Cha Cleric/Paladin which would probably be a very strange off-leader, off-striker, off-defender build. I already had a sheet labeled Book Wyrm for the cleric but I could just as easily make it the hybrid.
    I had a highly amusing character back in the LFR days, who abused the Intimidation rules and Power of Sune, and was a Pacifist Strength Cleric. Smack them until they're bloodied, then demand surrender, while benifiting from Pacifist Healer.

30. - Top - End - #30

Alrighty, here's Hadar!

Hadar is a Deva, born of old. An Elf? They've been that. A Dwarf? That too. Hadar has battled against the infernal hordes of Bael Turath at the side of the Dragonborn, and pled as a Tiefling for the leaders to return to good and proper behavior.

Hadar has been along for so long that they are tired. A thousand lifetimes, from the Dawn War to the present, jumbled up and distant. A thousand souls, down to the present one, with dark grey skin, patterned over with flecks of chalk. But in recent times, it's nature that Hadar has found refreshing. They enjoy harmony, and balance, and this last time, Hadar was reborn atop a verdant mountain surrounded by desert. On the mountain were elves, and shrines to Corellon; in the desert, an ancient temple to Melora. And so Hadar has prayed often, worked often, and made new friends- friends with animals and spirits that are ever loyal, ever selfless. Reflections of Hadar's self. And in turn, perhaps Hadar reflects them as well.

Recently, the wind has whispered to Hadar that help is needed. Safety is required. Someone or something is upsetting the balance. And so Hadar and their friends have set off towards Winterhaven, to do the best that they can- for without that, who knows what harm might come to the world?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Alrighty then, crunch: how do these pets- all 3- work, anyways? I'll bold parts particularly important to allies.
    Fortunately, Fey Beast Tamer and the Sentinel pet work largely the same.

*They're creatures, and so subject to all creature rules, and they're allies of Hadar and the party. So they take damage normally, and can flank, etc.
    *They're as intelligent as clever pets. So they can scout, for example, and note the presence of goblins, but not tell you that there are 307 goblins in a valley.
    *As we level up, they effectively do too- their HP, defenses, attack bonuses, perception, and initiative are all based on Hadar's stats and/or level.
    *As long as Hadar is active, they don't operate independently. For them to take a Standard, Minor, or triggered action, Hadar must use the same kind of action to "command" them to do so. When Hadar takes a move action, they can move their speed. They can take free actions without orders.
    *If Hadar is unconscious or more than 20 squares away, and so unable to command them, they can take one Standard, move, or minor action. They can also take free actions or opportunity actions without orders at that point.
    *We share a healing surge total. If something requires one of them to spend a surge, it comes from mine. If I take my second wind, they also regain HP.
    *If they drop below 1hp, they disappear from play. I can spend a minor action to lose a surge and bring them back at 1 surge worth of hp (their normal max is my bloodied value). Alternatively, I can bring them back by losing a surge during a short or extended rest and they come back with full hp (my bloodied value).
    *At the end of a short or extended rest, they regain their hp without spending any surges.
    *The Living Zephyr companion has an Aura 2 that lightly obscures the area to enemies. The Trained Young Owlbear companion has an Aura 1 that grants a +2 power bonus to damage rolls against enemies in the aura.

That's all summary from HotFeywild and from HotFKingdoms.

As for the Spirit Companion:
    *It's a Conjuration, not a creature. So it can't flank, doesn't provoke OAs. It also doesn't take damage from bursts/blasts.
    *My Spirit keyword powers have their center of effect on the Companion.
    *It does occupy a square, so allies can move through it but enemies can't.
    *Using my Opportunity action, I can use its OA power when an enemy moves away without shifting, but not for ranged/area attacks.
    *It can move when I take a move action. Its speed is based on me, so if I'm slowed, it's slowed.
    *It doesn't absorb conditions- no dazed, blinded, etc. Since I attack through it, if I'm dazed, I can't make OAs.
    *It can't fly, but as a conjuration, it's also not subject to difficult terrain and doesn't need a solid surface to support it, and Dragon 387 says conjurations can move horizontally and vertically, so...yeah.
    *It can be attacked by Melee or Ranged attacks, using my defenses (but note that an enemy with Combat Advantage against me doesn't get bonuses, because you have CA against a creature). It does not take any damage unless it takes 10 + 1/2 my level damage (so 10) in a single attack, and if that happens, I take 5+ 1/2 level my damage (so 5) and it disappears. It can't take damage otherwise.

Stat blocks for the Zephyr and the Owlbear at level 1:
    Spoiler
    Show

Trained Young Owlbear
    Medium fey beast

HP 15

Initiative 0
    AC 14, Fortitude 16, Reflex 12, Will 16 Perception 11 (Passive 21)
    Speed 6 Darkvision
    Ferocious Companion Aura 1

Allies gain a +2 power bonus to damage rolls against enemies in the aura.

Claw At-Will (Basic Attack)

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); your +6 vs. AC

Hit: 1d12 + one-half your level damage (1d12). Level 21: 2d12 + one-half your level damage.

Str 20 Dex 12 Wis 14
    Con 17 Int 2 Cha 6
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Living Zephyr
    Medium elemental magical beast

HP 15

Initiative 0
    AC 15, Fortitude 14, Reflex 15, Will 14 Perception 11 (Passive 21)
    Speed land 0 , fly 6 (hover; altitude limit 2)
    Debris Cloud Aura 2

The aura is lightly obscured to enemies.

Animal Attack At-Will (Basic Attack)

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); your level 6 vs. AC

Hit: 1d10 + your Wisdom modifier damage (1d10+4), and the zephyr can slide the target 1 square.

Level 13: 1d10 + 3 + your Wisdom modifier damage.

Level 23: 2d10 + 5 + your Wisdom modifier damage.

Str 12 Dex 20 Wis 14
    Con 17 Int 3 Cha 7