New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What does “Effulgent Epuration” even mean? Also spells with strange names

Quote Originally Posted by Mato View Post
    Yes. And when the SpC (and sometimes other supplements) reprinted them or the SRD referenced them, they dropped the flavorful name so you didn't have to know anything about the in-game creator.

If you missed it, basically the point is instead of complaining about "Sumbul's"
    Simbul. One u. One i. And the Simbul, not a proper name.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What does “Effulgent Epuration” even mean? Also spells with strange names

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Simbul. One u. One i. And the Simbul, not a proper name.
    Unless in your game world, the Simbul comes to stand for some kind of noisy, attention getting phenomenon that breaks people out of a depression, in which case the Simbul is a simple Symbal cymbal symbol.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tiercel View Post
    Unless in your game world, the Simbul comes to stand for some kind of noisy, attention getting phenomenon that breaks people out of a depression, in which case the Simbul is a simple Symbal cymbal symbol.
    C’mon man. That’s some bull.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    C’mon man. That’s some bull.
    Oh, I do not.... dissemble.

5. - Top - End - #35

To be fair, it is appropriate to have weirdly named spells though.

After all, it gets a wizard highly aware of the weird spelling of those words!
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    To be fair, it is appropriate to have weirdly named spells though.

After all, it gets a wizard highly aware of the weird spelling of those words!
    Delete this
    Last edited by Helluin; 2019-05-20 at 07:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37

d20 Re: What does “Effulgent Epuration” even mean? Also spells with strange names

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    It comes from the fantasy universe called "Earth," in the obscure and fantastical language known as "Old English." More seriously, "dweomer" is a common alternate spelling of "dwimmer," which is an archaic English word that means magic or witchcraft (in particular, illusions or magical deception). It comes from Anglo-Saxon. Tolkien used it (dwimmer) twice in the LotR books. In fact, these uses may be single-handedly responsible for putting the word back into use at all.
    I used "dweomer" myself when creating some magic-item manipulating spells for a sorceress, with the intent of centering them on a theme; I figured it'd give 'em that "arcane/archaic" feel and stand out more readily (and in the case of dweomerdrain, alliteration).
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

As written in 3.5, eyebite does not involve eyes, biting, eyes that bite, or biting of eyes.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    As written in 3.5, eyebite does not involve eyes, biting, eyes that bite, or biting of eyes.
    I thought it did involve eyes? All descriptions outside the srd I can find of that spell suggest it's basically the Evil Eye from folklore- witch rides into town, gives you a glare whilst muttering some mumbly jumbles, you feel sick, like you're afflicted by the worst flu of your life.

I have no idea where the 'bite' comes from though.
    Last edited by Malphegor; 2019-05-22 at 04:35 AM.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ