1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default OOTS AU Experiment/Gauging Interest

So... hey there folks.

For a while now I've been knocking around an idea for some kind of RP taking place in an alternate version of the OOTS universe, dating back to just after the explosion of Dorukan's Keep, but I'm not entirely certain how much interest there would be in such a thing, and there are a number of questions that have to get sorted before I could start, depending on just how 'alternate' this universe is.

To whit:
    (1) Do the Gods have reliable channels of communication with senior followers? (Including commune, planar ally, prophecies, etc.)
    (2) Does the Guard have a past history of crusades against the Crimson Mantle, including in the nearby Hobgoblin kingdom?
    (3) Does Lord Shojo have reasonable access to casters with sending, teleport, wind walk and the like?
    (4) Does the Guard have the full complement of other paladins/clerics shown (O-Chul, Hinjo, Sangwaan, etc.)?
    (5) Is Eugene Greenhilt summoned by the Guard shortly after Dorukan's Keep is destroyed?
    (6) Do all or most of the OOTS survive the explosion of the keep?
    (7) Do all or most of the goblins and other monsters who didn't perish in battle survive the explosion of the keep?
    (8) Does the Oracle exist, and is he known to both Roy and Eugene?
    (9) Does Elan *really* just blow up the Gate for drama's sake? I'm open to contriving a slightly more defensible reason.

If anyone wants to chip in on those points and/or otherwise comment, feel free. Most of the 16 questions are self-explanatory here, but two points to cover:
    Player Count: I feel like 1 player per 1-3 characters should work okay, so between the OOTS, the LG, and Miko + the Sapphire Guard, around 6-8 players should be adequate. It's also entirely fair to leave certain characters out as either missing or KIA, and I expect there'll be some turnover and/or attrition regardless. (I'll personally be reserving Miko+Windstriker and possibly Celia.)
    System/Procedure: I'm not planning to run D&D, or really anything but the most bare-bones numerical system possible- the overall process might be closer to "sketchy fanfic outline with the writer taking suggestions"- but I should have *something* for mechanically adjudicating character disputes, maybe at the level of Fate/FUDGE or a homebrew to similar effect. Enough to keep me honest, at least.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS AU Experiment/Gauging Interest

I can imagine a FATE version of OOTS. The character shtick mechanics in the accelerated edition make it come weirdly close to the board game of all things.

Spoiler: 1&2&3
    Show
    1: Godly communication feels like more of a setting thing than a timeline thing. I imagine that will stay at about the same level as in the comic - that is, the gods don't directly communicate with anyone unless they really need to for a plot point, and on certain subjects not even then.

2: The Sapphire Guard is kind of a cornerstone of the campaign setting, right? You'd have to make up some kind of replacement conflict without it.

3: Interdimensional travel is probably one of the key reasons you're not using D&D for this; you really need the players not to have it.

Spoiler: 4&5&6
    Show
    4: Unless we spend a lot of time with the Sapphire Guard, there's not much reason to change it one way or the other, and the canon characters are liable to appear in a cameo. I can also imagine a game where we're all paladins on the trail of the crimson mantle, in which case Miko and O-Chul may be narratively absent to make room for the PCs.

5: If Xykon ever leaves the picture, Eugene has made it clear that he will no longer give a fraction of a damn about the story. If the story is exactly the same up until this plot point, though, this would be an interesting place to insert the branch in the timeline. What if we say Shojo was assassinated years ago? Lord Kubota would have a very different reaction to the news when Dorukan's gate falls.

6: I think you've pretty much answered this question, but just to be sure: You want players to play as the PCs from the comic, right? So, "alternate," is not meant to include a new cast, though we play them differently enough to be unrecognizable even if we're trying not to. If you do want us to play an all-new cast, then it becomes a question of whether the canon PCs should ever have existed at all. If you want us to play as some characters, but not others... well, I guess dying in the dungeon is as good an explanation for that as any.

Spoiler: 7&8
    Show
    7: I don't think anything survives a gatesplosion unless it has plot armor. I can imagine a goblin campaign based around some theoretical survivors, though. The plot armor was inside us all along!

8: There's really no reason for you to include the Sunken Valley if you're going to run this game. On-demand prophesies probably won't do anything but give you a headache, and they're as broken as Star Trek's easily-repeatable time travel if you can make them work at all. Of course, if we're sticking with the canon story, then he's obviously around. Everyone loves the Oracle. You just need to keep us away from him, or at least make sure we don't word our own questions.

Spoiler: 9
    Show
    9: Interesting. What if he didn't hit it after the battle, but right in the middle, as part of a tactical effort to prevent Team Evil from escaping? What if it worked?

Xykon is destroyed. Roy's big adventure has come to a successful end. He pays the now-defunct Order of the Stick for their services and bums around with Durkon for a while until an Azurite paladin brings word that Durkon can go home.

You arrive to meet that paladin at the wreckage of Dorukan's gate. You came prepared to fight the villain's surviving forces, but you needn't have worried about that; it's abandoned. Careful to steer clear of the squiggly pink hole in reality, you double- and triple-check with the best detection magic the Sapphire Guard can muster. Alas, the paladin did not overlook anything. The Crimson Mantle is gone.

Now what?
    Leo, Minnie, Ajax, Timmy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    I can imagine a FATE version of OOTS. The character shtick mechanics in the accelerated edition make it come weirdly close to the board game of all things...

...I think you've pretty much answered this question, but just to be sure: You want players to play as the PCs from the comic, right? So, "alternate," is not meant to include a new cast, though we play them differently enough to be unrecognizable even if we're trying not to.
    Oh, if players want to manage members of the OOTS and give them their own unique spin, that's fine. But I'm also quite happy to have players in control of the Linear Guild, members of the Sapphire Guard, and/or occasional extras like Sam, Pa, Celia or even a reasonably plausible OC. (Anyone besides Xykon, really, since he'd either be ridiculously OP or stuck regenerating.)

As for the other questions, well... I've covered some of this before, but in brief my intention is partly to iron out what I perceive to be some strange assumptions within the early OOTS storyline. (e.g, I'd rather have the Gods unable to communicate than try to explain why they don't warn Azure City about an impending hobgoblin invasion.)

Similarly, if the Sapphire Guard has access to cool nifty paladins/clerics/wizards with instant transport, divination, diplomancy and tracking skills, not to mention a celestial advisor who personally knows that Xykon and the Crimson Mantle survived the explosion, I expect those assets and information to be employed with reasonable effectiveness. (e.g, by teleporting a full tactical strike team to find and perhaps destroy Xykon before he gets the chance to regenerate.) In general, characters who aren't explicitly dumber than a sack full of hammers are entitled to behave accordingly, so we kinda need to establish what assets and information the Guard and it's immediate associates have available.

Few other points:

(7) Having most or all of the goblins- including those helpful teens- die in the explosion is fine, but I'm not sure how Elan would realistically feel about it, not to mention how folks like Celia and O-Chul would react.

(8) I'm happy enough to leave the Oracle out of it for all the reasons you mention, it just means that Roy has to locate Xykon under his own steam. (And if the OOTS/SG need to go chasing after him later, they might need to split their forces in order to scout out multiple Gates.)

(9) There's certainly plenty of stuff to do in the region even if Xykon gets vaporised- rebuilding the keep under new management, researching how to close the rifts, putting down local bandits and monster infestations that moved into the area after Dorukan's protection lapsed, maybe some politicking related to the nearby kingdoms, and so forth.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to shut down ideas- the idea of an AU where Kubota is Lord of the City could totally work, and having some goblin (or flumph, or dirt farmer) PCs running around would suit me just fine. Whatever floats your boat.
    Last edited by Lacuna Caster; 2019-05-16 at 08:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

This sounds like a lot of fun - Iím in if youíre still recruiting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

This sounds fun.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDrummer View Post
    This sounds like a lot of fun - Iím in if youíre still recruiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    This sounds fun.
    Cool, cool. Any preferences regarding the nine questions at the top? Or are there particular character/s you'd like to see involved?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sound like fun.
    From my exprience, Fate is iffy, especialy in PBP.
    I think that Old School Emulator might work. We do need *some* system, metaing, it's part of the deal. And OSR are usually very simple and straight forward.
    (Which I am fan of, and GMing irl)

As for the questions.

1) Well, not on direct phone line, but y'know generic fantasy-ish way.
    2) I think that yes.
    3) Not as he used to have, but yes.
    4) they are named npcs.. so yes.
    5) I preffer not.
    6) If we are playing our own characters it better for the oots to be dead. Maybe beside one or two to be used as plot devices or wild cards.
    7) I think most not.
    8) Yes and yes.
    9) drama and meta are real powers in the oots world. If he wouldn't have blown it up, it would have been used for something evil, forcing a sequel of "the return to " many of the big modules has it.
    Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Not to criticize, just wondering why you need an alternative. It is a whole world, after all. There are plenty of adventures going on all the time. I've run games in the setting myself without problem.

I mean, even where the major events of the comic are concerned, Azure City represents just one city-state out of many, and one could easily argue the average citizen in the Empire of Blood has no idea any of the events of Book 5 even happen, as it was only between the OOTS and Tarquin.

Well, feel free to ignore me. It just seems like needless complication.
    Avatar: Rain Coralcove, Cleric of Zeboim

Spoiler: Art
    Show
    Ansalonian party

Heretic's Bane party

PotA party

Lady Oren, Templar of the Silver Flame

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgon_Heap View Post
    Not to criticize, just wondering why you need an alternative. It is a whole world, after all. There are plenty of adventures going on all the time. I've run games in the setting myself without problem.
    The setting per se doesn't particularly attract me- if I just wanted to run a bunch of original characters I'd do that in some entirely different world. I'm curious about what would happen with these particular characters if the setting were consistent from day one.