New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 61 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
    Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
    Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
    Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
    Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.

Previous Thread Found Here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...rossed-anymore
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-05-16 at 10:14 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: Three Score And Four Threads Ago

Q1:

Would you provoke AoO for using an Ex ability to cast a spell?

(This is for a third party ACF)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by StevenC21 View Post
    Q1:

Would you provoke AoO for using an Ex ability to cast a spell?

(This is for a third party ACF)
    A1: Hard to say with 3rd Party, mand even harder to say without the ability text.

In general, if you are casting a spell then you provoke, even if it is an Ex ability that grants this.
    If the Ex ability enables you to, for example, produce fireballs then you are not casting and do not provoke.

Justification: Specific trumps general. "Casting a Spell" is more specific than "using an Extraordinary ability".

Other people's rulings may differ.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2019-05-16 at 06:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Repost, since it got lost on the tail end of last thread:

Q 2

Is it just me, or does the “Flashing Sun” Desert Wind maneuver just not working as a strike?

Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Battle - The Book of Nine Swords
    Flashing Sun allows you to make an additional melee attack during this round. As part of this maneuver, you take a full attack action and make your normal melee attacks. However, you can make one additional attack this round at your highest attack bonus. All the attacks you make this round, including the extra attack granted by this maneuver, are made with a -2 penalty.
    First and foremost, because it is contradicting some of the general rules for strikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Battle - The Book of Nine Swords
    Because strikes allow for a specific form of attack, you cannot benefit from spell or effects that grant you extra attacks when making a strike (such as the haste spell or a speed weapon). You are not taking a full attack action when you initiate a strike, even if its initiation action is 1-full round action. In addition, you cannot combine special attacks such as sunder or bull rush with strikes, even you have feats that make such special attacks more potent.
    I know how specific trumps general, but even discounting the part about not being able to make a full attack action, this would make Flashing Sun pointless if you have haste, and even things like flurry of blows or two-weapon fighting become doubtful, making the maneuver pretty pointless to have.

Furthermore, by a strict reading, none of these attacks this round could be special attacks (so, no disarm, no trip, etc.), am I right?

Am I also correct to think that treating the whole maneuver as a boost instead of a strike would correct all these problems?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #5

Q3

Can a flying creature with Trample(Ex) trample another flying creature midair?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q4:

In Pathfinder, cold iron doubles the cost of a weapon made from it. When making a masterwork cold iron weapon, do you double the weapon cost, then add the masterwork cost (300 gp), or do you make it a masterwork weapon, and then double the cost of the whole thing? e.g. a masterwork cold iron scimitar - is it 330 gp, or 630 gp?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Q4:

In Pathfinder, cold iron doubles the cost of a weapon made from it. When making a masterwork cold iron weapon, do you double the weapon cost, then add the masterwork cost (300 gp), or do you make it a masterwork weapon, and then double the cost of the whole thing? e.g. a masterwork cold iron scimitar - is it 330 gp, or 630 gp?
    A 4: Are you asking about Pathfinder or 3.0/3.5 D&D?
    If Pathfinder then this is totally off topic for this thread - there's another thread specifically for Pathfinder questiosn and I guess you thought you were posting in that.
    If 3/0/3.5 D&D why mention Pathfinder - it's just confusing.
    Looking at the 3.5 DMG or SRD you will find as a specific magic weapon:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Masterwork Cold Iron Longsword

This nonmagical longsword is crafted out of cold iron. As a masterwork weapon, it has a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls.

No aura (nonmagical); Price 330 gp.
    You can clearly see that only the base cost of the weapon (15gp for a longsword) is doubled.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

I did, indeed, post in the wrong thread, darn it. My apologies. Thank you kindly for your answer; it’s likely that it translates.

9. - Top - End - #9

A5

Yes, though you may need to augment the power to make this work. The DM may rule that you have to choose what the action is as part of the manifesting, and thus you and your familiar have the same readied action (thus preventing you from manifesting while your psycrystal attacks). Augmenting the power frees you from this limitation. It's worth noting that if you abuse this, you and your DM may reach such a limitation as a compromise, even if it is not strictly RAW... though I am unable to find anything to imply it is or is not.

Q6

Referencing the above.
    A. Is there a clear RAW somewhere that you and your psicrystal may make different choices when you share a power with it?
    B. Is there a clear RAW somewhere that you and your psicrystal may ready different actions, even if A isn't true?

EDIT: Uh, Q5 seems to have been removed. It was asking if you could chain synchronicity and share it with your psicrystal such that each time you did, it could attack. I am still curious about the above, though.
    Last edited by The Kool; 2019-05-16 at 09:54 PM.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by The Kool View Post
    A5

Yes, though you may need to augment the power to make this work. The DM may rule that you have to choose what the action is as part of the manifesting, and thus you and your familiar have the same readied action (thus preventing you from manifesting while your psycrystal attacks). Augmenting the power frees you from this limitation. It's worth noting that if you abuse this, you and your DM may reach such a limitation as a compromise, even if it is not strictly RAW... though I am unable to find anything to imply it is or is not.

Q6

Referencing the above.
    A. Is there a clear RAW somewhere that you and your psicrystal may make different choices when you share a power with it?
    B. Is there a clear RAW somewhere that you and your psicrystal may ready different actions, even if A isn't true?

EDIT: Uh, Q5 seems to have been removed. It was asking if you could chain synchronicity and share it with your psicrystal such that each time you did, it could attack. I am still curious about the above, though.
    My bad. I thought the question was too complicated for this thread so I deleted it and moved it to another thread. Looks like I was wrong! I'll repost it here.

Q5

Does this work?

1. Manifest Metamorphosis to turn your Psicrystal into a combat form like a Hydra.
    2. Stand behind your Psicrystal
    3. Psicrystal attacks
    4. Manifest Synchronicity. Use Share Powers to have it affect the Psicrystal as well.
    5. Psicrystal uses its readied action to attack
    6. Use your readied action to manifest Synchronicity. Use Share Powers to have it affect the Psicrystal as well.
    7. Repeat 5 & 6.
    8. Repeat 5 & 6.
    9. Repeat 5 & 6.

Until you're out of power points.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Q7 I have 12 Charisma and I want to take a feat requires Charisma 15. If I wear a cloak of Charisma +4, can I select the feat? And if so, do I gain the benefits only while sufficiently stat-boosted?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A7: Yes and yes.
    You can use temporary boosts to qualify for feats unless there is specific text (for either the feat or the boost) that states otherwise.
    Unlike prestige classes, the rules on qualifying for feats are clear that they become non-functional if you do not currently meet the qualifying criteria.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Q8
    Can Versatile Spellcaster (Races of the Dragon pg101) be used with cantrips?

You can use two lower-level spell slots to cast a spell one level higher.
    So, in theory, I should be able to use up 2 lvl 0 spells to cast a level one?

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Q8
    Can Versatile Spellcaster (Races of the Dragon pg101) be used with cantrips?

So, in theory, I should be able to use up 2 lvl 0 spells to cast a level one?
    A8
    Yes, it's a very basic use of the feat. Cantrips are spells like any others, and the next higher level is 1st level, so everything works.
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2019-05-17 at 12:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 009

The Graft Flesh feat specifies you must pick a type of graft when you select the feat (aboleth, beholder, fiendish etc.).

Unlike some other feats, it does not state anything along the lines of "You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of graft."

Does this mean you may only ever select one type of graft?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 009

The Graft Flesh feat specifies you must pick a type of graft when you select the feat (aboleth, beholder, fiendish etc.).

Unlike some other feats, it does not state anything along the lines of "You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of graft."

Does this mean you may only ever select one type of graft?
    A 9
    That can be interpreted as such, yes. Note that most graft feats require to be a specific creature type (aboleth, illithid, fiend, yuan ti) and only a few are open to all (silthilar, beholder, undead), so that wouldn't be a very strong restriction on the long term.

GM has the final call, of course. (IMO, only silthilar grafts are ultimately worth it, at least for PCs anyway, the others have too many drawbacks.)

Also note that the Fleshwarper prestige class has the Graft Mastery feature, which allow to pick new type of grafts, even those that have creature restrictions. Multiple graft types might be intended as being a privilege of Fleshwarpers and nobody else.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-05-18 at 05:03 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #17

Q 10
    Is a stunned character still susceptible to language-dependent magic?

Q 11
    Can the character delivering a message through a Dream spell use language-dependent magic on the subject, such as a Suggestion spell? If not with a spell, would a spell-like-ability work?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #18

Q12

According to the SRD, regarding heal checks:
    Spoiler: Treat Disease
    Show
    Treat Disease
    To treat a disease means to tend a single diseased character. Every time he or she makes a saving throw against disease effects, you make a Heal check. The diseased character uses your check result or his or her saving throw, whichever is higher.

A character sustains a bite from a dire rat, fails fortitude save, and thus will contract filth fever in 1d3 days.
    Another character makes a heal check on his turn (during combat), which is much higher.

Has the healer effectively stopped the disease from taking hold? Or is there more required of him?
    Warforged Avatar graciously provided by linkele!

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Q12

According to the SRD, regarding heal checks:
    Spoiler: Treat Disease
    Show
    Treat Disease
    To treat a disease means to tend a single diseased character. Every time he or she makes a saving throw against disease effects, you make a Heal check. The diseased character uses your check result or his or her saving throw, whichever is higher.

A character sustains a bite from a dire rat, fails fortitude save, and thus will contract filth fever in 1d3 days.
    Another character makes a heal check on his turn (during combat), which is much higher.

Has the healer effectively stopped the disease from taking hold? Or is there more required of him?
    A12
    You cannot treat a disease on the fly, since it takes 10 minutes to perform the check.

Intuitively, the healing character must also be present and take care of the ill character (at least 10 minutes) at the moment he roll his save.

As far as I can understand, the heal check can be performed only after the incubation period expires; a cure disease spell could be more effective in this case.
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2019-05-18 at 06:49 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q13: do "cure" spells heal constructs? if not, are there spells that heal constructs?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

21. - Top - End - #21

A13

They do not. Living Constructs (like Warforged) gain half benefit from Cure spells. Full constructs gain no benefit. What you want are the Repair X Damage line of spells, arcane spells found in the Spell Compendium. They work the same way as the Cure spells, but function on constructs instead.
    Last edited by The Kool; 2019-05-20 at 04:47 PM.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A13

They do not. Living Constructs (like Warforged) gain half benefit from Cure spells. Full constructs gain no benefit. What you want are the Repair X Damage line of spells, arcane spells found in the Spell Compendium. They work the same way as the Cure spells, but function on constructs instead.
    Nice, found them. I see that there is theline up to critical damage; Q13b: is there a repair equivalent to the heal spell?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

A013B

Total Repair (ECS p.116).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 10
    Is a stunned character still susceptible to language-dependent magic?
    Yes.

Q 11
    Can the character delivering a message through a Dream spell use language-dependent magic on the subject, such as a Suggestion spell? If not with a spell, would a spell-like-ability work?
    I can't find anything in the spell that prevents you taking actions while in the trance, so technically, sure, it should work. Of course all the usual limitations for the spell would apply, so e.g. for suggestion, you would need to be within close range and have line of sight and line of effect (measured from your trancing body's position).

Note that different settings treat dreams differently, and there are optional dreamscape rules in MP and HH that may be in play.

Repost, since it got lost on the tail end of last thread:

Q 2

Is it just me, or does the “Flashing Sun” Desert Wind maneuver just not working as a strike?

First and foremost, because it is contradicting some of the general rules for strikes:

I know how specific trumps general, but even discounting the part about not being able to make a full attack action, this would make Flashing Sun pointless if you have haste, and even things like flurry of blows or two-weapon fighting become doubtful, making the maneuver pretty pointless to have.

Furthermore, by a strict reading, none of these attacks this round could be special attacks (so, no disarm, no trip, etc.), am I right?

Am I also correct to think that treating the whole maneuver as a boost instead of a strike would correct all these problems?
    You're overthinking it. Specific beats general. It says it works, so it works.

25. - Top - End - #25

Q6

Referencing the above.
    A6

The answer entirely depends on whether you make the decision during manifestation of the power or after you fully manifest the power. The exact quote is "when you manifest this power". After thinking about it for a while, I believe this means after you finish manifesting so the answer is that your psicrystal may make different choices when you share a power with it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q 14

Does attacking a rebuked undead end the rebuking effect?
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    Q 14

Does attacking a rebuked undead end the rebuking effect?
    A14
    If you don't find a more specific ruling, just refer to the section "Effect and Duration of Turning".
    Rebuking counts as turning and uses similar mechanics; "undead that would be turned are rebuked instead" - so the same rules apply, unless otherwise stated somewhere else.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Q 15

I seem remember reading a rule that I cannot find now that creatures with innate sorcerer casting such a nagas, coautls, and dragons, do not have material or somatic components. Does such a rule exist or is my memory faulty?

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Q 15

I seem remember reading a rule that I cannot find now that creatures with innate sorcerer casting such a nagas, coautls, and dragons, do not have material or somatic components. Does such a rule exist or is my memory faulty?
    A15
    The explanation is in the Monster Manual, chapter 7 (glossary), under the "spells" entry. Let's make the example of a Naga. It must supply those components, but can still cast spells as follows:
    • It replaces the normal somatic components by moving their bodies
    • Must have the required material component on its body

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Q16

Does the Practiced Spellcaster feat offset the penalty from the Mage Slayer feat if one takes both? (CArc pgs 81-82)