New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q136

Does Symbol of Fear suffer the same 150 hp "hit point limit" as Symbol of Death?

Several of the Symbol spells explicitly state they do not, but Symbol of Fear does not have such a statement, but does say "This spell functions like symbol of death, except that all creatures within 60 feet of the symbol of fear instead become panicked for 1 round per caster level." Emphasis mine, and note that Symbol of Death has no such "all creatures" clause.

Here is an example of one of the other Symbol spells explicitly stating there is no hit point limit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Symbol of Pain
    Unlike symbol of death, symbol of pain has no hit point limit; once triggered, a symbol of pain simply remains active for 10 minutes per caster level.
    Q137

Can a third level War Weaver cast a 3rd level spell (Greater Mage Armor, Wiz 3), that he enhances with a Metamagic Rod of Extend as he casts it, and place that metamagically-enhanced spell into his eldritch tapestry?

Quote Originally Posted by War Weaver
    The maximum level of spell you can cast into an eldritch tapestry is equal to your class level. For example, a 5th-level wizard/2nd-level war weaver with an Intelligence of 16 could cast a 2nd-level spell such as bull’s strength and have it affect herself and the three allies connected to her eldritch tapestry.
    I'm trying to determine if the metamagic rod's effect counts against the spell level (is the above spell 3rd level, or 4th, for this purpose?)

Edited to add:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 113

Bit of a broad question, but...is there anything that gives blanket immunity, or partial resistance, against the Conjuration school of spells?

...if its too broad of a question, I'll start a thread.
    A 113

Otiluke's Impressing/Suppressing Field (Comp Mage, p. 112). It creates a 20-foot radius around you where casters have to succeed at a CL check (equivalent to a Dispel check) to successfully cast or bring into being within the area any spell of a school you have chosen to suppress. Choose to suppress Conjuration, and other casters must make the check to have their conjuration spells happen inside your field. Pump your own CL up high enough, and their chance at success dwindles toward zero.

Edit again: And I see someone already pointed you toward it. Note the confusing mix-up of the spell name. In the spell list at the start of the chapter, it is called Otiluke's Suppressing Field, but in the spell itself it is called Otiluke's Impressing Field.
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2019-07-29 at 01:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272

Quote Originally Posted by AthasianWarlock View Post
    Q134

The silver fire ability is an SU ability that can restore magic to an antimagic or dead magic area in a 70ft cone. Since it's a SU ability can it even be activated within an antimagic zone? Or can it only be activated outside?
    A 134
    If there is no specific exception in the ability's description that say it can be initiated from inside an antimagic zone, then no, it's suppressed like any other supernatural ability. It seems logical it needs to be started from outside to push the boundaries of the area.

PS: Where is it from? First time I hear of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AthasianWarlock View Post
    Q135
    Nondetection says that divination spells must make a caster level check 11+ caster level. If I have a SU ability that duplicates a divination spell, does nondetection apply since it's not a spell?
    A 135
    In cases like such, the question you need to ask is essentially, "does the spell description limit it to spells, or does it extend to any magical effects?" Nondetection only mentions spells (instead of "any spell or effect"), which by the rules cover spells from any class and spell-like abilities, (including psionic powers through the Transparency rules) but not supernatural abilities.

Note that supernatural abilities usually lack a defined caster level (though there are exceptions). They're also not concerned by spell resistance, which is very close to the mechanism used by Nondetection: the spell essentially gives the subject a spell resistance limited to divination spells. Another reason why SU abilities shouldn't be concerned.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-10-31 at 11:48 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #273
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q 138

Does a thown weapon still count as being in your possession?

Reason I'm asking: can a fiend of possession from Fiend Folio p. 204 possess a weapon that's been thrown at them magical or otherwise

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Q136

Does Symbol of Fear suffer the same 150 hp "hit point limit" as Symbol of Death?

Several of the Symbol spells explicitly state they do not, but Symbol of Fear does not have such a statement, but does say "This spell functions like symbol of death, except that all creatures within 60 feet of the symbol of fear instead become panicked for 1 round per caster level." Emphasis mine, and note that Symbol of Death has no such "all creatures" clause.

Here is an example of one of the other Symbol spells explicitly stating there is no hit point limit:
    It's ambiguous for the reasons you stated. DM discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Q137

Can a third level War Weaver cast a 3rd level spell (Greater Mage Armor, Wiz 3), that he enhances with a Metamagic Rod of Extend as he casts it, and place that metamagically-enhanced spell into his eldritch tapestry?

I'm trying to determine if the metamagic rod's effect counts against the spell level (is the above spell 3rd level, or 4th, for this purpose?)
    Extend Spell does not affect a spell's effective level, only the level of spell slot needed to cast it. The extended greater mage armor is still considered a 3rd level spell. Note that this answer does not change if you switch from a metamagic rod to Extend Spell feat itself. Of course, if you were using Heighten Spell, it would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Alec the great View Post
    Q 138

Does a thown weapon still count as being in your possession?

Reason I'm asking: can a fiend of possession from Fiend Folio p. 204 possess a weapon that's been thrown at them magical or otherwise
    AFAICT there doesn't seem to be any restriction that would require the item to be in your possession.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Q 139
    The samurai's (CW) Ex feature improved staredown allows intimidation as a move action. Can a samurai with improved staredown still use staredown as a standard action? The plan is to use both in a single turn.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by Pedi1 View Post
    Q 139
    The samurai's (CW) Ex feature improved staredown allows intimidation as a move action. Can a samurai with improved staredown still use staredown as a standard action? The plan is to use both in a single turn.
    A 139

The samurai can demoralize opponents within 30 feet as a move action, not a standard action.
    Bolding mine. It says you can demoralize as a move action, not that must, or that you do so autoamtically. So yes, you should still be able to demoralize as a standard action.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Q140 - If you get a bonus to constitution checks, does this bonus extend to Fortitude saves, since they are also based on CON?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

A 140 No, it does not.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    Q140 - If you get a bonus to constitution checks, does this bonus extend to Fortitude saves, since they are also based on CON?
    A 140

No, not unless the ability specifically says so.

While Fort saves and Con checks are both affected by your Con score, they are separate things. Ability checks ≠ saving throws.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pedi1 View Post
    Q 139
    Addendum—while you can do this,
    do note that fear from the same source does not stack, so you cannot escalate an enemy from shaken to frightened this way.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Q141

Need a weapon (melee, slashing, reach) for a petal bard using snowflake wardance. Will a whipdagger count, or do the wonky whip rules prevent it from being applicable to swd?

Second part. Any other decent weapons to use instead?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

A 141

Spinning Sword from Secrets of Sarlonna might be another option.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Q142

A Marshal's Major & Minor auras do not stack with each other. But would a draconic aura taken with the Dragon Lord PrC be allowed to stack with a marshal aura?

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Q142

A Marshal's Major & Minor auras do not stack with each other. But would a draconic aura taken with the Dragon Lord PrC be allowed to stack with a marshal aura?
    A 142

A Marshals auras provide a circumstance bonus; as far as I can tell, a Dragon Lord's auras provide an untyped bonus - so yes, they should stack.

15. - Top - End - #285

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Q141

Need a weapon (melee, slashing, reach) for a petal bard using snowflake wardance. Will a whipdagger count, or do the wonky whip rules prevent it from being applicable to swd?

Second part. Any other decent weapons to use instead?
    A 141 Addendum

By RAW, Tiny creatures don't get any benefits from reach weapons. A reach weapon (usually) doubles the wielder's natural reach, and 0 ft doubled is still 0 ft. The SRD doesn't come out directly and say that Tiny creatures don't gain benefits from reach, but I think it actually is RAI. For example, note how in the Big and Little Creatures In Combat section, they don't talk about reach weapons when discussing Tiny creatures, but they do when discussing Large creatures. That makes me think that RAI is for Tiny creatures to not gain additional reach from a reach weapon.

The Rules Compendium actually does say it directly, on page 150: "Tiny or smaller creatures gain no advantage from reach weapons." So, if your DM is using RC, you're screwed.

The whip, of course, is the oddball: someone else will have to tell you how whip reach interacts with wielder size, because I don't know of any official rulings on that.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

A 141 addendum

In regards to Whip-dagger working with Snowflake Wardance: no. A&EG lists the Whip-dagger as a ranged weapon, and SWD specifically works only with melee weapons.

Having said that, A&EG is a 3.0 source, and whips are classified as melee weapons in 3.5 (where they were classified as ranged in 3.0): so maybe check with your DM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A 141 addendum

In regards to Whip-dagger working with Snowflake Wardance: no. A&EG lists the Whip-dagger as a ranged weapon, and SWD specifically works only with melee weapons.

Having said that, A&EG is a 3.0 source, and whips are classified as melee weapons in 3.5 (where they were classified as ranged in 3.0): so maybe check with your DM.
    It did get a reprint in Dragon #353 on page 26 for what it is worth. Says it is treated as a standard whip save that its ability to deal damage is unhindered by ac and natural ac.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

18. - Top - End - #288

Q 143

The description of antimagic points out that continuous magic items don't work in the area.

However, creatures such as constructs still function in an antimagic area.

What about intelligent item, then? Their section mentions to "treat them as constructs." So, does an intelligent item stay conscious in an antimagic area? Does it keep its senses and communication powers?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #289
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q 144

I play a 3.0 and 3.5 cross campaign and wanted to ask about a spell with my Mount a flashracker (yes not a horse but approved by dm)

When Two Become One
    Shugenja 3 (Water),

Your own body hunkers low on the horse's back and holds on tight for the duration of the spell; it is a part of the body you and your steed share, but not a particularly useful part.
    As a joint creature, you and your mount share all your skills, feats, and abilities.
    You make all checks, saves, and attack rolls using the better base number (yours or your horse's) and the better ability score modifier.
    You retain your own Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, memory, personality, level and class, alignment, and extraordinary and supernatural abilities.
    You gain your horse's Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, speed, natural armor and weapons, and extraordinary abilities.
    Opponents can attack either your body or your mount's.
    Your body uses the mount's Dexterity bonus to AC, not subject to the maximum Dexterity bonus for your armor type, with your own size modifier, armor bonus, and magical bonuses.
    Your mount's body uses its own Dexterity bonus, size modifier, armor bonus, natural armor bonus, and any magical bonuses derived from items on your body other than armor (such as an amulet of natural armor or ring of protection).
    You and your mount share a pool of hit points equal to your combined total hit points.
    When an opponent hits either your body or your mount's,
    the damage is subtracted from this combined pool.
    Neither you nor your mount becomes disabled or dying until all these combined hit points are exhausted.
    When the spell ends, you divide the hit points remaining in the pool as you choose between you and your mount.

Does this make it so you only have "one creatures" warth of action or do you still have the two separate Mount and Riders actions?

If it is one creature then is there a way to attack with all the natural attacks and my weapon (Sword)?

20. - Top - End - #290
    Halfling in the Playground

Q145 If you cast a grease spell then another grease spell the following round in the same area
    does everyone have to make another reflex save or does it have no effect other than duration?

21. - Top - End - #291

A 145

As a general rule, spells don't stack with themselves. Adding a layer of grease certainly won't render the floor any more slippery.

The specific rule covering this case can be found in the Combining Magical Effects section, probably this one:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

A 143
    Intelligent magic items have wisdom and charisma scores and are thus, by general rules, creatures, which their entry does not contradict. It is easiest to think of them as wonky animated objects: a hybrid of object and creature rules

23. - Top - End - #293
    Pixie in the Playground

Q146: Is there a spell, item, or feat that allows you to automatically stabilize anyone to 0 HP, or any other number, from negative hit points? For spells there are obviously healing spells which can take any currently-living creature out of the negatives, but I'm looking more for something more thematically focused on avoiding death than flat-out healing.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

A146 blessed bandges, or any spell the restores hp.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

A146: The Healing Hands skill trick (CS pg 87) might also be effective as well.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

A144: Yes, you become a single creature with a single set of actions, though by RAI you should be treated as mounted(like a Centaur) for pre-requisites and abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

27. - Top - End - #297

BarbarianGuy

Q147

Can a creature use the Charge action when squeezing?

Does the answer differ if there is only one choke point along the charge path (generally fits the examples of unable to charge in the PHB, as it would block a "clear path"), versus if the entire charge path is narrow along its entire length?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Q148

If a spell with an unusual nonmaterial nonfocus component (e.g. Soul, Fiend, Drug, etc.) becomes SLA, such as via Archmage, are those components still required to use the SLA?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

A148

No, although any components with a price are modified to cost XP as described in the High Arcana's description.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Q149

When a Deepstone Sentinel's mountain fortress stance ends automatically because they move too far, are they returned to the stance they replaced it with or are they in no stance at all? (TOB 105-106)
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-08-05 at 01:51 PM.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ