New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 218

The dimension door spell (and any ability based on it) specifies "After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn."

Does it mean that you cannot...

A) Take a free action immediately after the jump?

B) Take an immediate action until the next turn?

C) Make attacks of opportunity during this interval?

D) Or even use special defensive moves, like with Deflect Arrows?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-09-11 at 05:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

A 218

A) no
    b) no
    c) yes
    d) yes (for that feat)

See the table on RC p 8-9. List of things under the "not an action" column:

Spoiler
    Show
    5 foot step
    AoO
    delay
    duel of wills
    fight defensively
    guide mount with knees, or try to stay in saddle
    identify spell with spellcraft
    make concentration check
    make passive listen or spot check

See text of Deflect Arrows: "Attempting to deflect a ranged weapon doesn't count as an action."
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

A217 - Limit of an item cost without going into epic is 200,000 gold. (Source: Magic Item Compendium)
    Last edited by pabelfly; 2019-09-11 at 06:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Q219 - Looking at a template (Arachnoid Creature in "City of the Spider Queen" on P124) and while the template does not list any Level Adjustment, it gives a Challenge Rating of "Same as base creature +1". Do I presume that the template adds no level adjustment, or that it adds 1 LA to the creature?

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    Q219 - Looking at a template (Arachnoid Creature in "City of the Spider Queen" on P124) and while the template does not list any Level Adjustment, it gives a Challenge Rating of "Same as base creature +1". Do I presume that the template adds no level adjustment, or that it adds 1 LA to the creature?
    A 219

No, you never assume that the Level Adjustment is the same as the CR adjustment. They are unrelated things.

As this is a 3.0 module, and no LA is given for the template, you should assume that it is not fit for use by Player Characters. In other words, treat it as "Level Adjustment: --".
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

A 219 additional

Just as an FYI, Arachnoid was reprinted in Underdark (3.5), and still not given an LA.

The topic of whether no listed LA is the same as LA +0, or LA --, is very much debated, and may be beyond the scope of this thread.

Do note that the template applies a -4 Int penalty, and a creature with less than 3 Int is not allowed as a PC race.

Safest answer is "Ask your DM".

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    A217 - Limit of an item cost without going into epic is 200,000 gold. (Source: Magic Item Compendium)
    Q 217 extra: Doesn't the DMG exclude the cost of intelligence in a magic item from the gold piece cap?

If so, the maximum cost of a non-epic item is quite a lot higher because intelligent items are very expensive.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2019-09-12 at 09:00 AM.

8. - Top - End - #428

Lizardfolk

Q220
    What happens if you apply a template to a creature that would reduce one or more more mental ability scores to zero?
    Can you just not do that?
    Is the creature inert?
    Mindless?
    Or is there a minimum it would drop to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

Take your forklift safety seriously, kids. You'll lose, every time.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q221

With the Psionics-Magic Transparency rule in use, can you still manifest powers while you're under the effects of Tenser's Transformation, or does the spell block psionic manifestation as well?
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

10. - Top - End - #430

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q221

With the Psionics-Magic Transparency rule in use, can you still manifest powers while you're under the effects of Tenser's Transformation, or does the spell block psionic manifestation as well?
    A 221
    You can not manifest powers.
    The summary of psionics-magic transparency says that the default rule is that powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same that a spell or spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability.
    Because Tenser's Transformation calls out a specific interaction with other spells, that interaction also applies to powers.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2019-09-14 at 07:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Q222

In the DMG, pg 203, for the Thrush familiar, under granted abilities, its states:

AL any

what does that mean?
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

A 222

Alignment any.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q223: a) if I have defensive throw and robilar's gambit, and an opponent attacks me and misses, do I get to make two attacks of opportunity - one when they attack me for the gambit, and one when they miss for defensive throw?
    b) the same question with robilar's gambit and karmik strike.
    basically, if I have all three feats, does it mean I get to make two attacks of opportunity against anyone attacking me?

c) if two opponents have the same combo and fight each other, do they provoke an exponentially increasing amount of attacks of opportunity until they run out?
    Last edited by King of Nowhere; 2019-09-15 at 07:29 AM.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

A223

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    Q223: a) if I have defensive throw and robilar's gambit, and an opponent attacks me and misses, do I get to make two attacks of opportunity - one when they attack me for the gambit, and one when they miss for defensive throw?

Yes to both. Note that RG AoOs are resolved after the opponent's attack, so you're making both of these attacks at the same point: I don't know if there are rules for what order the feats must be resolved in. If not, you could choose.

c) if two opponents have the same combo and fight each other, do they provoke an exponentially increasing amount of attacks of opportunity until they run out?
    Yes, until they run out of AoOs, though either combatant can always opt not to make an AoO. Remember the -4 attack penalty for being prone. Also remember that immediate actions (or for the original attacker, a swift action) could be used to break up the fight.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

since we're here, i have a second question about those feats

Q224: I have defensive throw and improved trip.
    If the opponent that attacks me and triggers the trip attempt is already prone, what happens?
    Especially, can I still use that free trip opportunity to deal some damage? If not, is there some feat that lets me do so?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

In other words, "can a prone target be tripped". FAQ says no, but FAQ is rarely treated as true RAW, so I'm not putting a bold A above this.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 225a

Iaijutsu Focus (OA) damage is not precision damage AFAIK, so I can't refer to those general rules. Are the bonus d6s of damage considered the same type as the weapon used to deliver (i.e. bludgeoning, piercing or slashing)?

Q 225b

Same question, but for the Rapid Assault feat (ToB).

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    In other words, "can a prone target be tripped".
    well, not only that. also "is there a way to turn a free trip attempt into something else".

Incidentally, assume that my opponents make some research and the next time I fight, first thing they do is dropping prone, denying me attacks. do the rules describe that situation? do they specify is falling prone is a swift or free action, if it does provoke an aoo?

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

do the rules describe that situation? do they specify is falling prone is a swift or free action, if it does provoke an aoo?
    A 223 additional

As per Actions in Combat section:

Free actions rarely incur attacks of opportunity.
    Drop to the floor: AoO? No
    Drop Prone
    Dropping to a prone position in your space is a free action.

20. - Top - End - #440

basically, if I have all three feats, does it mean I get to make two attacks of opportunity against anyone attacking me?
    A 223 contention

The rule for Attacks of Opportunity of the SRD specifies: "If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity."

It doesn't matter if you have several feats permitting a AoO upon a foe's attack, the attack count only as one opportunity. You can choose between the various feats which one to apply, but nothing more.

Once you have Robilar's Gambit, Defensive Throw and Karmic Strike are pretty much obsolete and can be retrained for other feats.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: A 223 contention

AFB right now so I cannot furnish proof, but the opportunities are different. One is the attack the other is a failed attack IIRC.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

A223 - Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit stack because they have different conditions for triggering an Attack of Opportunity.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

A223 contention response

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 223 contention

The rule for Attacks of Opportunity of the SRD specifies: "If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity."

It doesn't matter if you have several feats permitting a AoO upon a foe's attack, the attack count only as one opportunity. You can choose between the various feats which one to apply, but nothing more.

Once you have Robilar's Gambit, Defensive Throw and Karmic Strike are pretty much obsolete and can be retrained for other feats.
    These effects represent different opportunities. Robilar's Gambit is when an enemy attacks you, Karmic Strike is when an enemy damages you, and Defensive Throw is when an enemy targeted by your Dodge feat misses you. If two of these effects were triggered by the same opportunity, such as the enemy damaging you, then arguably they would not both apply. As is, they do.

24. - Top - End - #444

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    A223 contention response

These effects represent different opportunities. Robilar's Gambit is when an enemy attacks you, Karmic Strike is when an enemy damages you, and Defensive Throw is when an enemy targeted by your Dodge feat misses you. If two of these effects were triggered by the same opportunity, such as the enemy damaging you, then arguably they would not both apply. As is, they do.
    A 223 Continuation

I agree with St Fan. The Rules Compendium uses this language: "Each provoking act represents a different opportunity." Swinging a sword at someone and missing them aren't separate action, so I don't think they can count as separate "acts," which also means they shouldn't count as separate opportunities.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 226

Would the feats Improved Energy Drain and Spell Drain work with a Half-Shadow Dragon's breath weapon?

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    A 223 Continuation

I agree with St Fan. The Rules Compendium uses this language: "Each provoking act represents a different opportunity." Swinging a sword at someone and missing them aren't separate action, so I don't think they can count as separate "acts," which also means they shouldn't count as separate opportunities.
    Searching through RC, "act" is used overwhelmingly either as a synonym for "combat action" or to mean taking your turn. I find that convincing. Here's the full quote:

"Some abilities allow you to make more than one attack of opportunity per round. Most such abilities, unless they say otherwise, don’t let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity. If the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, however, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity. Each provoking act represents a different opportunity."

So under the no-stack reading, RG's "they provoke attacks of opportunity from you each time they swing" is an "unless they say otherwise" clause.

I do have a reservation about reading "act" to mean "combat action" here: there's no good other word they could have used if they wanted it to not mean that -- effect or trigger don't work and "thing" doesn't fit their idiom.

Despite that I think the usage precedent is a strong argument for RAW.

A223 changed: No.

This puts a dent in Jack B. Quick.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

I think this particular question might be getting to the point of needing its own discussion thread...

28. - Top - End - #448
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q 227

Does a spell obtained by the ilithid savants aquire special ability use the caster level of the consumed brain for purposes of caster level checks to overcome spell resistance?

"At 3rd level, an illithid savant permanently gains one class feature of a consumed brain's owner, as a character of that creature's level in that class.
    If the former character was a spellcaster, the illithid savant is able to cast one spell of each level available to the character (if the victim was a wizard, the mind flayer must still consult a spellbook or learn from scrolls), as well as any bonus spells provideded by the illithid savant's ability scores."
    Srd says for casting spells

"In the event that a class feature, domain granted power, or other special ability provides an adjustment to your caster level, that adjustment applies not only to effects based on caster level (such as range, duration, and damage dealt) but also to your caster level check to overcome your target’s spell resistance and to the caster level used in dispel checks (both the dispel check and the DC of the check)."

The WoTc sample one says you cast as the consumed brain but I just want to make sure we got this right.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...d/ei/20030608a

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 225a
    Iaijutsu Focus (OA) damage is not precision damage AFAIK, so I can't refer to those general rules. Are the bonus d6s of damage considered the same type as the weapon used to deliver (i.e. bludgeoning, piercing or slashing)?
    A 225a
    Yes due to a probably invalid syllogism):

Iaijutsu Focus's entry provides it can be used to strike an inanimate object, assuming no distractions. "Your extra damage is halved, just like your ordinary damage." 3.0 and 3.5 stipulate that objects take half damage solely from ranged weapons. Ranged weapons do damage according to their weapon's type - slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning. Therefore, Iaijutsu Focus likewise accords to the type of damage the weapon it came from inflicts.

30. - Top - End - #450

Q 228

Let's pick an incarnum user with both levels in an incarnum class and a few incarnum feats. She fills up some of the feats with essentia points, which thus can't be reassigned for 24 hours.

All incarnum feats have, among their prerequisites, a minimum Constitution of 13. Like with all feats, if you don't meet the prerequisites any more, you loose all benefits.

My question is: what happens if the character takes ability damage reducing her Constitution to 12 or lower?

A) For starter, all the benefits granted by the incarnum feats (including the eventual visual effects, I guess) are lost...

B) Does this include the bonus essentia points (1 by feat) granted by each feat, thus reducing the total?

C) If B) is true, even after said reduction is healed, if there remain some essentia invested in the feats, does this essentia returns to the floating reserve, since the feats aren't active any more?

D) Even when the Constitution damage is healed, does each feat is now empty of any invested essentia?

E) If D) is true, does the character need to wait for the 24 hours (since the moment the essentia was initially invested) to invest points into the feats again?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-01-20 at 04:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature