New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 229

The bit on ex-clerics says that a cleric who grossly violates his god's code of conduct can't level as a cleric of that god again until he atones. This brings up a number of questions about clerics and multiple gods...

A) Can that cleric instead begin leveling as a cleric of another god if he does not wish to atone for offending his previous god?

B) If the cleric begins leveling as a cleric under a new god, will he existing cleric levels transfer over or does he need to start over?
    (ie, if a 4th-level cleric who fell out of Pelor's good graces decides to turn to Farlanghn upon gaining his next level, will he become a Cleric of Farlanghn 5, or an Ex-Cleric of Pelor 4/Cleric of Fharlanghn 1?)

C) In the case that a cleric must begin leveling anew for a second deity, would a character be able to level separately as a cleric of multiple deities normally (without first being cut off from his original god), assuming his alignment is appropriate for all relevant deities? (ie lawful good character decides he wants to serve both Pelor and Heironeous and levels separately for each of them, becoming a Cleric of Pelor 3/Cleric of Heironeous 3)
    Last edited by Vaern; 2019-09-17 at 01:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Re-post for new page:

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 225a

Iaijutsu Focus (OA) damage is not precision damage AFAIK, so I can't refer to those general rules. Are the bonus d6s of damage considered the same type as the weapon used to deliver (i.e. bludgeoning, piercing or slashing)?

Q 225b

Same question, but for the Rapid Assault feat (ToB).
    Q 226

Would the feats Improved Energy Drain and Spell Drain work with a Half-Shadow Dragon's breath weapon?

3. - Top - End - #453
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 203:
    A Sacred Fist who knowingly carries or uses a weapon loses all class spells and features and advances no farther as a sacred fi st until he atones for his action
    Does a Sacred Fist with natural weapons automatically break its CoC by "carrying weapons?"
    If not, does a Sacred Fist with natural weapons break its CoC by fighting with its natural weapons?
    If not, is it okay for a Sacred Fist to employ its natural weapons and unarmed strike(s) during full attack and keep its class abilities?
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

A 230

In 3.5 D&D, weapons are divided into manufactured and natural.

The wording of the PrC doesn't distinguish. RAI, I think it safe to assume the restriction was meant for manufactured weapons only, given that the class basically centres on unarmed strikes. This was not addressed in errata AFAIK.

If you want to be 100% RAW, the answer is either that the PrC is completely dysfunctional, or, alternatively, ask your DM.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q231

Can you pay to enchant an artifact weapon like Angelwing Razor like a flaming enchantment if you paid the cost (from +10 to +11 enchantment)?

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

If you want to be 100% RAW, the answer is either that the PrC is completely dysfunctional, or, alternatively, ask your DM.
    I guess this is one for the dysfunctional rules thread.

A 231

Ask your DM. Custom magic items are his/her purview.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2019-09-18 at 02:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 225a

Iaijutsu Focus (OA) damage is not precision damage AFAIK, so I can't refer to those general rules. Are the bonus d6s of damage considered the same type as the weapon used to deliver (i.e. bludgeoning, piercing or slashing)?

Q 225b

Same question, but for the Rapid Assault feat (ToB).

Q 226

Would the feats Improved Energy Drain and Spell Drain work with a Half-Shadow Dragon's breath weapon?
    A 225b

Yyyyes? There's no type specified and it says "extra" which would imply an extension of the existing damage, but then "extra" is also used frequently in the ToB and elsewhere when something does specify another damage type. I don't think there's a better objective answer here than "it has to have some damage type."

A 226

The breath weapon would cause the feat's effect, but wouldn't, on its own, satisfy its prerequisite to take the feat in the first place. It specifies the energy drain supernatural ability, not just means of applying negative levels, in the prerequisites but not in the benefit. ("Whenever you bestow a negative level upon a creature" should also include the energy drain and enervation spells as well.)
    Last edited by ManicOppressive; 2019-09-18 at 04:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    typo report : panel 5, "pleather" I presume the p shouldn't be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You live an aesthetically blessed life.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

A 228

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 228

A) For starter, all the benefits granted by the incarnum feats (including the eventual visual effects, I guess) are lost...
    Correct.

B) Does this include the bonus essentia points (1 by feat) granted by each feat, thus reducing the total?
    Yes. You now have [# of feats] fewer essentia an will need to immediately void the points from your various pools.

C) If C) is true, even after said reduction, if there remain some essentia invested in the feats, does this essentia returns to the floating reserve, since the feats aren't active any more?
    Unclear but likely. The feats say you can only reinvest once per day but once they are shut off you have just pools with no rules associated.

D) Even when the Constitution damage is healed, does each feat is now empty of any invested essentia?
    If you pulled the essentia out, yes. The pools would have their rules suddenly click on again. You can likely leave the invested essentia there for to wait for physical stat healing and have the feat regain it's function.

E) If D) is true, does the character need to wait for the 24 hours (since the moment the essentia was initially invested) to invest points into the feats again?
    Yes. You did not just gain the feats but have their effects turn back on; there was a distinct time less than 24 hours ago where you did fill them so you are restricted here.

9. - Top - End - #459

Q 232: How do Chain Spell and Guided Spell interact if applied to the same spell?
    Throw the dice high.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

A 232: I don't think they'd get the chance, as Guided Spell requires ranged touch and Chain Spell requires a target. Ranged-touch spells generally say things like "Effect: Ray," not "Target: One creature."

If you found a ranged-touch spell that did specify a target, however, I believe the spell would keep trying to ranged-touch the target (as per Guided Spell); then, if it succeeded, you could choose for it to affect secondary targets who were near the primary target at the time it took effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Q 233

Could a Shaper of Form (Dragon Compendium p.86) use the Like Begets Like ability to change an alchemical silver or adamantine longsword into a cold iron longsword?

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

A 233 No. The example says you can't change leather armor into metal armor since they're made of different stuff. It also says the new object and old object must be made of 50% the same stuff, so you can't turn silver or adamantine to iron
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Q234

Monk's decisive strike (PHB2 p51) upgrades "at 5th level", "at 9th level", and "at 11th level". Does this mean monk level or character level? (I'm assuming the latter.)
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

A 235 monk level
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 235 monk level
    Source? ...

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Source? ...
    A 235 continued

All ACFs and sub-levels refer to level in the class that offers the ACF or sub-level, unless otherwise noted.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 235 continued

All ACFs and sub-levels refer to level in the class that offers the ACF or sub-level, unless otherwise noted.
    This is true of all class features as well.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Q 236

The Ectoplasmic Dragon's breath weapon is a burst of "whitefire", and it also has a "whitefire" aura.

Whitefire is not defined in the article: is it fire damage, untyped damage, or something else? Is "whitefire" defined anywhere else in the game?

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Q 236

The Ectoplasmic Dragon's breath weapon is a burst of "whitefire", and it also has a "whitefire" aura.

Whitefire is not defined in the article: is it fire damage, untyped damage, or something else? Is "whitefire" defined anywhere else in the game?
    It's a kind of psionic fire that showed up in the Psionics Handbook but didn't survive to the Expanded Psionics Handbook. Whitefire was a power that dealt fire damage.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q237:

Using Cloak Dance (XPH, p.44), is it possible to take a Move Action to gain Concealment, followed by taking a Standard Action as a Move Action to use Hide ("Normally, you make a Hide check as part of movement")?

Because what I'm imagining is this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=umFoo96P0h4
    Last edited by Luckmann; 2019-09-22 at 12:56 PM. Reason: posted prematurely by accident

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmann View Post
    Q237:

Using Cloak Dance (XPH, p.44), is it possible to take a Move Action to gain Concealment, followed by taking a Standard Action as a Move Action to use Hide ("Normally, you make a Hide check as part of movement")?

Because what I'm imagining is this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=umFoo96P0h4
    Yes, but only if you're not being observed. If the observer is aware of you, you'll either need a hide in plain sight ability or a distraction. (Creating a distraction normally requires a move action and a successful Bluff check.)

You could also use a full-round action to gain total concealment, which would have the same effect as hiding.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

Q 238: Consider a 5th-level wizard who has ranks in Spellcraft and Knowledge: Arcana, a metamagic feat, and the feat Alacritous Cogitation. That feat allows him to cast spontaneously (though in very limited circumstances). It seems to me—correct me if I'm wrong—that such a wizard qualifies for the Ultimate Magus prestige class.

Now here's the good part. If he does take levels in Ultimate Magus, his prepared casting and spontaneous casting come from the same class. Can he apply all of his casting increases from Ultimate Magus to his wizard casting? UM increases two classes at seven levels and one class at three levels, for a total of seventeen increases. That means our guy would be casting as a 22nd-level wizard at ECL 15.

I know that no DM alive would allow this. But does it work under RAW?
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Q 238: Consider a 5th-level wizard who has ranks in Spellcraft and Knowledge: Arcana, a metamagic feat, and the feat Alacritous Cogitation. That feat allows him to cast spontaneously (though in very limited circumstances). It seems to me—correct me if I'm wrong—that such a wizard qualifies for the Ultimate Magus prestige class.

Now here's the good part. If he does take levels in Ultimate Magus, his prepared casting and spontaneous casting come from the same class. Can he apply all of his casting increases from Ultimate Magus to his wizard casting? UM increases two classes at seven levels and one class at three levels, for a total of seventeen increases. That means our guy would be casting as a 22nd-level wizard at ECL 15.

I know that no DM alive would allow this. But does it work under RAW?
    Alacritous Cogitation does not count as spontaneous casting. I don't know of any way to make wizard count as a spontaneous casting class, as defined by RC as a class that can cast all its spells without preparation. The spontaneous divination ACF comes closest, but only applies to some of your spells, and still requires you to prepare spells first.

In the hypothetical scenario where it is possible, you would not gain the benefit you describe. Ultimate magus directs you to choose two classes and increase both of their casting by 1 level. If you choose the same class twice, you increase its casting by 1 level, and the dual progression is essentially wasted.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Ultimate magus directs you to choose two classes and increase both of their casting by 1 level.
    Well, it doesn't actually say that in so many words, but if "spontaneous casting class" is, as you say, strictly defined, then it's a moot point.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Q 239

Not RAW as such, but here goes: I'm looking for an official PrC I'm pretty certain I've seen. I think it was in an online article; it involved sneak attacking, energy draining, and possibly required you to be a cultist of Baphomet. Does anyone know the PrC I mean?

A 239

Never mind, found my own answer: Life Eater. It's the current Iron Chef ingredient. D'oh!

26. - Top - End - #476

Q 240

While under the effect of Freedom of Movement, can characters still be tripped and bullrushed? Are there any other non-obvious limitations to it allow you to forcibly move the buffed character or prevent them from moving?
    Throw the dice high.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessGnome View Post
    Q 240

While under the effect of Freedom of Movement, can characters still be tripped and bullrushed? Are there any other non-obvious limitations to it allow you to forcibly move the buffed character or prevent them from moving?
    1. Yes
    2. Depends how you define non-obvious, but for starters, it doesn't help at all against forced movement.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Q241

Does the bonus feat gained by humans and strongheart halflings at 1st level count as a racial bonus feat?

29. - Top - End - #479

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Q241

Does the bonus feat gained by humans and strongheart halflings at 1st level count as a racial bonus feat?
    A 241

No. The names are similar, but these are separate mechanics. A racial bonus feat is a specific feat which every member of a race possesses. They do not have to qualify for it. For example, a lot of high dex races receive Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat, even though at first level they might not qualify, since it requires a Base Attack Bonus of +1. It's a racial bonus feat if it has the little 'B' marker in the monster entry.

Humans and strongheart halflings recive an extra feat that they have to qualify for as normal, and different individuals of those races do not all take the same feat.
    Throw the dice high.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Q242

Can factotum's Cunning Knowledge be used after rolling the die? I don't see a clear indicator.