New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Q16

Does the Practiced Spellcaster feat offset the penalty from the Mage Slayer feat if one takes both? (CArc pgs 81-82)
    A 16
    Yes, although only for the selected spellcasting class. Other classes and spell-like abilities will still have the penalty.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #32

Q17
    The Spell Compendium version of spiderskin says that it increases in benefit for every 3 caster levels, but fails to include an explicit maximum yet also an explicit recognition that it scales without bound. The given examples stop at spell level 15, but those are only examples, not limitations. Is SpC spiderskin uncapped by RAW?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    Q17
    The Spell Compendium version of spiderskin says that it increases in benefit for every 3 caster levels, but fails to include an explicit maximum yet also an explicit recognition that it scales without bound. The given examples stop at spell level 15, but those are only examples, not limitations. Is SpC spiderskin uncapped by RAW?
    A 017

Yes, by the wording in the spell, there is no cap on the bonuses. Compare to the wording of a spell like Barkskin:

This enhancement bonus increases by 1 for every three caster levels above 3rd, to a maximum of +5 at caster level 12th.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 018

Question about the Goblin Pits of Io-Rach (BoVD p.22) and the mutant/variant goblins they produce.

It says the goblins are medium sized, and have an inherent +4 Str, +4 Con, -4 Int, -4 Wis and -4 Cha.

A.) Would this be in addition to normal ability mods for goblins (-2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Cha), or instead of them?

B.) Also, would you apply the normal modifiers when changing a creature from small to medium in size (+4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con) ?

5. - Top - End - #35

Q#19

If Kaorti (or other far realm navtive creature) holding a rod of embassy (far realm) cast teleport, greater, could they teleport to a location in the far realm (fully in the far realm)

Notable facts

Kaorti are native to the far realm

Rod of Embassy: "When a creature carries a rod of embassy keyed to its home plane, it is considered to be on that plane for as long as it holds the rod"

Teleport greater: "This spell functions like teleport, except that there is no range limit ... Interplanar travel is not possible"
    ^ the no range limit means if there is an infinite distance from the Kaorti to the destination in the far realm (there is) it can still reach that point.

TL;DR: Is a native to the far realm holding a rod of embassy (far realm) attempting to teleport to a point in the Far realm considered Interplanar Travel?

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 018

Question about the Goblin Pits of Io-Rach (BoVD p.22) and the mutant/variant goblins they produce.

It says the goblins are medium sized, and have an inherent +4 Str, +4 Con, -4 Int, -4 Wis and -4 Cha.

A.) Would this be in addition to normal ability mods for goblins (-2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Cha), or instead of them?

B.) Also, would you apply the normal modifiers when changing a creature from small to medium in size (+4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con) ?

A#18

A. -2 str, +2 dex, -2 cha are Racial bonuses,
    +4 Str, +4 Con, -4 Int, -4 Wis, -4 Cha is inherent bonus, they are separately applied (meaning they stack

B. They "Grow to medium size" I believe it would be permitted.
    Last edited by D&DPrinceTandem; 2019-05-23 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

6. - Top - End - #36

A19

Revenge of the semantics: I would argue No, but this could be ruled either way. The point of contention is condensed into the following: If one is 'considered on X plane', would teleporting to that plane from another still be considered interplanar travel? I believe that there is a distinction here between 'considered on' and actually on. You can be considered on that plane all day long, but to take you from where you physically are to where you physically want to go would still be traveling from one plane to another. Thus, it would still be interplanar travel. Again, this could be ruled either way depending on your DM, and even the RAI doesn't seem clear here.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q20 Assuming Fusion pools buffs, what would happen if both of the people who fuse have an instance of Psionic Contingency?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q21

The atropal is an undead with regeneration. Only good or sentient weapons overcome this. Since undead are immune to subdual damage, does this mean he is immune to all damage that isn't from a good or sentient weapon?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monst...on.htm#atropal

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by AthasianWarlock View Post
    Q21

The atropal is an undead with regeneration. Only good or sentient weapons overcome this. Since undead are immune to subdual damage, does this mean he is immune to all damage that isn't from a good or sentient weapon?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monst...on.htm#atropal
    A 21

Well... by a strict RAW reading, yeah... although, note that the Regeneration rules specifies "A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.", so the whole thing is dysfunctional anyway.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-08-18 at 04:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Q 022

Does Headlong Rush (Races of Faerun) work while mounted?
    I did ask this last thread, but I got no response, so I’m trying again.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2019-05-26 at 09:20 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #41
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Q 023

can you use Versatile Spellcaster (RoTD 101) with SLA's? The feat references slots, but if you have an sla that you can use at will, can you then use it to power VS?
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-05-26 at 03:11 PM.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 23

No, that doesn't work at all.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #43

Q 24

Would a Maximized Dispel Magic (or similar spell) allow an automatic 20 on the caster level check?

Or does it fall in the "Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected" category for the Maximized Spell feat?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

14. - Top - End - #44

A24

Quote Originally Posted by srd
    All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables.
    A dispel check is a specialized form of caster level check, similar to a check to overcome SR. It can succeed or fail, and is made against a target difficulty. The effect of the spell has no random variables; much like a Charm Person spell, it either succeeds or it fails, and the dispel check is used to determine which, much as an SR penetration check, saving throw, or attack roll. Given that a check is not a variable numeric effect of a spell, the second sentence of clarification can be extrapolated to also cover this case.

However, anything that affects a 'check', without qualifier such as 'ability check', would in fact apply to a dispel check.

EDIT: Dispel Magic does indeed have a variable, numeric effect. I was wrong about that. The number of rounds that a magic item is suppressed for, normally a 1d4, would be maximized to 4.
    Last edited by The Kool; 2019-05-27 at 07:58 AM.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q25

Does a class feature that grants a template grant the templates LA? Examples include disciple of ashardalon, dragon disciple, etc.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

A25

No, generally you've already "paid" the LA cost included into the levels of that class in the first place. A class ability will never have a LA applied to it.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q26

If a protean uses alter shape to assume a partial form of an umbral blot. Would it's disintegratimg touch blow up all it's items?

Does this count as "specifically targeted" under srd magic items making saves entry?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AthasianWarlock View Post
    Q25

Does a class feature that grants a template grant the templates LA? Examples include disciple of ashardalon, dragon disciple, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    A25

No, generally you've already "paid" the LA cost included into the levels of that class in the first place. A class ability will never have a LA applied to it.
    25 Dispute

I believe jdizzlean’s answer is an entirely reasonable interpretation and I fully support using it in a game. I would never rule otherwise myself. However, I don’t believe that it’s ironclad RAW. There’s no rules text saying that you do or that you don’t gain the LA. It’s a gap in the rules and it doesn’t have a “simple RAW” answer. A GM could be justified in ruling either way without being accused of houseruling.

In the case of an ambiguity like this, I support choosing the option that does less damage to our collective ability to enjoy the game, which is why I completely agree with jdizzlean’s response as a good choice to make. I do not, however, agree that it’s a “RAW” answer, because it isn’t actually stated in RAW.

This is a pedantic distinction, but given the format of the thread, I believe that it’s worth the quibble.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    25 Dispute

I believe jdizzlean’s answer is an entirely reasonable interpretation and I fully support using it in a game. I would never rule otherwise myself. However, I don’t believe that it’s ironclad RAW. There’s no rules text saying that you do or that you don’t gain the LA. It’s a gap in the rules and it doesn’t have a “simple RAW” answer. A GM could be justified in ruling either way without being accused of houseruling.

In the case of an ambiguity like this, I support choosing the option that does less damage to our collective ability to enjoy the game, which is why I completely agree with jdizzlean’s response as a good choice to make. I do not, however, agree that it’s a “RAW” answer, because it isn’t actually stated in RAW.

This is a pedantic distinction, but given the format of the thread, I believe that it’s worth the quibble.

By a strict RAW reading then Disciple of Ashardalon for the first 9 levels gains all the abilities of a half fiend save the outsider type. Then once they get fiendish perfection gain them all again. So that means double ability modifiers etc.
    Last edited by AthasianWarlock; 2019-05-28 at 01:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Q 27

Still on the subject of Empowered/Maximized spells...

A: A touch spell or ranged touch spell can add sneak attack damage to its normal damage under the right conditions. If the spell is Empowered and/or Maximized, are the d6s of sneak attack damage concerned too?

B: Corrupt spells and Sanctified spells have a Corruption/Sacrifice cost that is often a random number of ability damage/drain. If such a spell is Empowered and/or Maximized, is the Corruption/Sacrifice affected too? Or the fact that it's a "component" and not strictly an effect of the spell exclude them?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

A 27

Neither Sneak Attack nor spell components are "effects" of a spell, so I would say neither is affected by those feats.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 028

If I am a 9th level Monk with the Invisible Fist ACF, are the "cooldown" times of invisibility and blink tracked separately?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 29

What actually happens if you cast Transmute Mud to Rock while someone is wholly or partially submerged? The spell says they get a reflex save to avoid it, but not what actually happens.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q 30

Loremaster has a prerequisite of "Any three metamagic or item creation feats".

Can these be mixed? IE, would a character with Scribe Scroll, Empower Spell, and Heighten Spell fulfill this requirement?
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 30: Yes
    (Because of the use of the word "Any" - without it then it could be 3 of one or 3 of the other, but the word is redundant unless it mean you can mix and match.)

26. - Top - End - #56

Lizardfolk

Q31
    I read somewhere that there is a Drow House that makes a potion that allows Zombies over 20HD.
    People use it to make airships out of zombie'd Soarwhales.
    Is that real?

EDIT
    If it is or isn't, is there anything that would allow Zomb's at more than 20 HD?
    Last edited by PraxisVetli; 2019-06-02 at 01:34 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Q32: Can the presence of an ongoing (Su) ability that isn't arcane or divine be detected by spells?

28. - Top - End - #58

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Q32: Can the presence of an ongoing (Su) ability that isn't arcane or divine be detected by spells?
    A 32

Here are all the spells I could find that can, in my own careful reading of the rules, detect some ongoing supernatural effects. This is probably not a complete list.

Detect Scrying (Player's Handbook p. 219)

See Invisibility (Player's Handbook p. 275)

True Seeing (Player's Handbook p. 296)

Discern Shapechanger (Spell Compendium p. 66)

Know Opponent (Spell Compendium p. 129; detects supernatural abilities even when they're not in use)

I do not know of any supernatural ability that is identified as either arcane or divine. To the best of my knowledge, this distinction applies to spells and probably to the effects of spell-like abilities as well, but I doubt that it applies to supernatural abilities.

EDIT: The spell Detect Undead (Player's Handbook p. 220) also belongs in this list.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2019-05-31 at 08:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Q 29

What actually happens if you cast Transmute Mud to Rock while someone is wholly or partially submerged? The spell says they get a reflex save to avoid it, but not what actually happens.
    A 29

I would guess that the creature can jump/swim upwards as the mud hardens and stands on the new stone if he succeeds his reflex save.

30. - Top - End - #60

Q 32

A couple questions about the wording inherent to the various Dominate spells:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Subjects resist this control, and any subject forced to take actions against its nature receives a new saving throw with a +2 bonus. Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out.
    A: My guess is that self-destructive orders count as "against its nature" (unless the subject is suicidal). However, do such commands provoke the new saving throw to break the effect? Since they are "not carried out", the subject has, consequently, never taken an action against its nature.

B: Still about the "forced to take actions against its nature" part, when does the saving throw happen exactly? Is it after having taken the action, for example after having hurt a loved one? Or does the subject roll the saving throw just before being forced to take the action?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-06-02 at 04:22 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature