New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

A 32

From the WotC website, "rules of the game" articles:
    "Many enchantment spells allow the subject a chance to throw off the spell when ordered to do something contrary to its interests or nature. Exactly what sort of orders prompt a new saving throw vary with the spell and are noted in the spell description. Not all enchantments allow new saving throws.

When a subject gains a new saving throw, the effects of a successful save usually negate the spell (at least for that recipient). Check the saving throw entry in the spell description for the effects of any successful saving throw against the spell."

Emphasis mine. So, they get the Save before they accomplish the order. Also, the spell's description must explicitly say that a certain request triggers a save, a suicidal order doesn't, so RAW the spell won't end as a consequence of such an order (RAI you could argue that it does instead).

2. - Top - End - #62

Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    A 29

I would guess that the creature can jump/swim upwards as the mud hardens and stands on the new stone if he succeeds his reflex save.
    I guess I was a little unclear, I meant what happens if they fail. Do they die or are they just stuck and can't move? That kinda thing.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    I guess I was a little unclear, I meant what happens if they fail. Do they die or are they just stuck and can't move? That kinda thing.
    Yes. Of course. If you're sealed in cement, can you move? Can you breath? He won't die instantaneously but it's a sure bet he will unless he can teleport without moving his body.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q34
    Are there any reach weapons with an expanded critical range instead of a higher multiplier?

I'm aware you can improve your own reach via size/deformities, or use an exotic material like kaorti resin, I'm looking for something more basic than that.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 35:

Regarding the colossus creature in the epic level handbook- The immunity to magic ability.

Is that ability directly defined by the antimagic field ability and only uses that block of text for its rules?

Or is the colossus literally immune to all spells, including conjured instantaneous effects (like the orb spells in spell compendium) AND has an AMF around it, in addition?

I know golem magic immunity was updated from 3.0 to 3.5, but the ELH update failed to update this ability of the colossus.
    Last edited by Nezkrul; 2019-06-03 at 09:44 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66

Q 36:

Vampires and their Create Spawn ability.

What exactly are the limits of "enslaved"? Does the lesser vampire obey suicidal commands, like taking a sun bath?
    Last edited by Bouregard; 2019-06-04 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Formating
    Two rules get you through life:
    1. If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it.
    2. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, duct tape it

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

A 36:

Yes. Enslaved to the master’s will. If he wills you to sun bathe, you do so. The only limit is that of the imagination and whims of the master.
    Last edited by Nezkrul; 2019-06-04 at 06:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    Q34
    Are there any reach weapons with an expanded critical range instead of a higher multiplier?

I'm aware you can improve your own reach via size/deformities, or use an exotic material like kaorti resin, I'm looking for something more basic than that.
    A34

The talenta sharrash is an exotic weapon from Eberron Campaign Setting: it's like a scythe with reach. The copy of ECS I'm looking at says the crit range is 19-20, and the multiplier is x4, but a lot of online sources list the mulitplier as x2. You'll need someone else with better knowledge of Eberron sources than I to confirm the multiplier, but I'm reasonably confident that the range is 19-20.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    A34

The talenta sharrash is an exotic weapon from Eberron Campaign Setting: it's like a scythe with reach. The copy of ECS I'm looking at says the crit range is 19-20, and the multiplier is x4, but a lot of online sources list the mulitplier as x2. You'll need someone else with better knowledge of Eberron sources than I to confirm the multiplier, but I'm reasonably confident that the range is 19-20.
    Both Dragon #331 and ECS list it as d10, reach, 19-20/x4.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Both Dragon #331 and ECS list it as d10, reach, 19-20/x4.
    Errata changed one or the other. I don't remember which.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Errata changed one or the other. I don't remember which.
    Indeed, errata for ECS released in 2006 (available on the archives here) take it from 19-20/x4 to 19-20/x2.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Q37
    Would a Vest of Resistance +1 stack with a Cloak of Resistance +3 or would only the higher buff work?

13. - Top - End - #73

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Q37
    Would a Vest of Resistance +1 stack with a Cloak of Resistance +3 or would only the higher buff work?
    A37
    Bonuses of the same type do not stack. They're both resistance bonuses, so they do not stack with each other.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 038

Can a Tibbit in cat form verbally communicate with a Catfolk using the Feline language?

15. - Top - End - #75

Q 39

Is there any spell or effect that can cause a temporary Constitution penalty (but not constitution damage), like Ray of Enfeeblement does for Strength?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 39

Is there any spell or effect that can cause a temporary Constitution penalty (but not constitution damage), like Ray of Enfeeblement does for Strength?
    A 39

This question may imply multiple answers, so it could be better to create a separate thread, instead.
    Ray of entropy (SpC) does what you're searching for (but it's a 6th level spell), and bestow curse comes very close (although the penalty is permanent); boneblast (BoVD) deals a small constitution damage, like some spells that basically poison the victim (e.g. the "Poison" spell, but the wu jen also gets some). A quick research showed also spirit worm (SpC), a touch spell that lasts up to 5 rounds and deals 1 point of con-damage/round.

Most of the spells I was able to find allow a saving throw, tho.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    A 39
    This question may imply multiple answers, so it could be better to create a separate thread, instead.
    I was looking for a few starting hints, not necessarily an exhaustive list. Which I have now, thanks.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-06-06 at 06:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #78

Q 40

Assuming Psionics-Magic Transparency is in effect, can Spell Immunity (and its Greater/Lesser variants) affect psionic powers too?

A few about ability penalties/damage/drain and how they interact.

Q 41
    A: Can an enhancement bonus to an ability score be reduced by ability damage/drain? Or the fact that it comes from another source (magic item, spell) exempts it?

B: As a corollary, if a character is reduced to 0 in an ability score (other than Constitution) but receive a an enhancement bonus to said score, is he no longer helpless?

C: And since an ability score cannot fall below 0, is the character in the above case now immune to further ability damage to this score?

Q 42
    If a character has suffered both ability damage/drain to an ability score, but also temporary reductions to the same ability (from exhaustion, or ray of enfeeblement or similar spells), enough to functionally reduce this score to 0 (again, as long as it's not Constitution, in which case he would be dead), what happen if he suffer further ability damage/drain? Is he immune since the score is technically 0, or is the damage still inflicted on the score, ignoring the temporary effects?

Q 43
    If a character is reduced to 0 in a score by ability damage, and is afterward exposed to ability drain... does the fact the score cannot fall below 0 means the ability drain is ignored? Or does the amount of permanent ability drain replace some of the temporary ability damage?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #79

A 40
    Following the transparency rules, spell immunity and power immunity are the same.

Anyhow, you have to select a "target spell" you want to be immune to. The transparency rules don't say explicitly if you can replace all the instances of the word "spell" with the word "power" in a spell description.

Nevertheless the WotC has several times explained that, in case of doubt, you just can consider a power as a spell-like ability, as in the following example: "it's helpful to think of psionic powers as something that works much like a spell-like ability".

If you believe that spell immunity may block, say, the eldritch blast, then there's no reason why it wouldn't block a power.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    [B]
    Q 41
    A: Can an enhancement bonus to an ability score be reduced by ability damage/drain? Or the fact that it comes from another source (magic item, spell) exempts it?

B: As a corollary, if a character is reduced to 0 in an ability score (other than Constitution) but receive a an enhancement bonus to said score, is he no longer helpless?

C: And since an ability score cannot fall below 0, is the character in the above case now immune to further ability damage to this score?

Q 42
    If a character has suffered both ability damage/drain to an ability score, but also temporary reductions to the same ability (from exhaustion, or ray of enfeeblement or similar spells), enough to functionally reduce this score to 0 (again, as long as it's not Constitution, in which case he would be dead), what happen if he suffer further ability damage/drain? Is he immune since the score is technically 0, or is the damage still inflicted on the score, ignoring the temporary effects?

Q 43
    If a character is reduced to 0 in a score by ability damage, and is afterward exposed to ability drain... does the fact the score cannot fall below 0 means the ability drain is ignored? Or does the amount of permanent ability drain replace some of the temporary ability damage?
    A41,
    Its only my opinion, so sorry, but i imagine the enchantbent bonuses acts as a buffer, though, i would count it as your own ability scores pumel first, then, as the total still not zero, it falls even more..... though, at that point, i think it would be easy to just tear down the source of the bonuses... actually, AMF would be quicker for the same effect, given that it suspends those bonuses....*takes note*

A42, 43
    i belive debuffs stack, no matter what, no? but anyway, i think its reasonable that the drain/damage owerwrites the penalty. the end result is the same though.....

Q44
    can you combo with spellwarp sniper and enlightened fist to make aoe spells into melee touch spells?
    sure its retundand, but i think it would be fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Also pseudodragons takes easily more screen time than "true" dragons.
    (but it is fair: "true" dragons are not telepathic venomous flying cats and so does not deserve screen time like a pseudodragon)

21. - Top - End - #81

BarbarianGuy

Q 45:

When an afflicted lycanthrope is forced to make an involuntary change (due to the moon, or damaged down to 75% health), is it always to animal form, not hybrid form?

Is the answer different for a Good PC who doesn't want to change (wants to avoid alignment change, etc), and possibly different for one that has embraced his affliction (CE Werewolf might be able to become a hybrid instead via a Control Shape check?)

22. - Top - End - #82
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q46

Assuming these rules are in place,

Spoiler: rules
    Show
    DMG p. 76," For purposes of spells and other special effects, all slimes, molds, and fungi are treated as plants."

SRD Plant
    Plant Type
    This type comprises vegetable creatures. Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive.

Would using the cloth form option of Shrink Item make slimes and molds safe to touch?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A46: Not without other rules to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG p. 76
    " For purposes of spells and other special effects, all slimes, molds, and fungi are treated as plants."

SRD Plant
    Plant Type
    This type comprises vegetable creatures. Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive.
    The bolded part is relevant here - they may be plants, but they are not regular plants.

If you find a more general rule that plants without Wis and Chr are objects, then yes, but the quoted rules above are not sufficient on their own.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A46: Not without other rules to support them.

The bolded part is relevant here - they may be plants, but they are not regular plants.

If you find a more general rule that plants without Wis and Chr are objects, then yes, but the quoted rules above are not sufficient on their own.
    Everything lacking wis and cha score is an object. The fungi etc. are also to be treated as regular plants, since the alternative (i.e. "non-regular") means plant creatures.

In any case, they are objects. If the spell "shrink items" affects a whole area full of mold or whatever, or if it affects only one individual creature (creature? I guess I have to check wikipedia to see how the physiology of this stuff actually is), it's a DM call.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

What are the rules for wielding a 2 handed weapon in one hand? A basic google search ends up with people trying to do it, but surely there must be rules for doing it as a normal person. Does it count as non-proficiency, so you take a -4 to hit?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Q 48, Part A: Karmic Strike allows for an attack of opportunity against any creature that makes a melee attack or touch attack against you, but requires that the opponent that hits you must be in your threatened area. A tiny creature has a reach of 0 feet, and therefore typically does not have a threatened area and must enter an opponent's space to attack them, granting an attack of opportunity. Can a tiny creature who is struck by an opponent's AoO while entering their space retaliate with a karmic strike-granted AoO? Or does the AoO resolve before the tiny creature enters the opponent's space, leaving the opponent still out of reach?

Part B: Does this change with Robilar's Gambit, which lacks the language requiring the opponent to be in your threatened area?
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Tackling "B" first because it is simpler:

A48 B: Any attack of opportunity may only be executed agianst opponents you threaten regardless of the nature of the trigger.
    Exception would only be made when the text explicitly grants on, and I know of none that do so.

A48 A: Attacks of opportunity are generally regarded as coming before the actions that trigger them, so someone with 0' reach may not take the AoO for someone entering their square. Note: they will get one for someone leaving a threated area if the opponent leaves their square.
    This means that if the AoO taken for someone entering a square itself grants an AoO, someone with 0' reach may not take it because they do not threaten their opponent.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

Q#49: What are the rules for wielding a 2 handed weapon in one hand? A basic google search ends up with people trying to do it, but surely there must be rules for doing it as a normal person. Does it count as non-proficiency, so you take a -4 to hit?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A49: The simple answer is that in 3.5 there are no rules for wielding a weapon using the wrong number of hands (except for using extra hands on a weapon to get more strength to damage).

However, one can work round it. A greatsword requires two hands to wield and does 2d6 damage.
    A large longsword requires two hands to wield at -2 to hit and does 2d6 damage when used by a medium creature.
    The monkey grip feat enables a large longsword to be wielded one-handed at -2 to hit for 2d6 damage when used by a medium creature.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Inappropriately Sized Weapons: A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed.

30. - Top - End - #90

Q 50

How does Energy Admixture interact with Empower and Maximize? Let's say for example an Admixtured Empowered Maximized Fireball at CL 10:
    The empowered and maximized fireball deals 60 + 10d6*0.5 damage, so does adding admixture to that lead to:
    120 + 20d6*0.5
    60 + 10d6*0.5 + 10d6
    or something else?